Convened by Dr.G., a Renegade Illuminati with Thee Temple [link].
Science & Futurism
* "Don’t Panic, But Your Avocado is Radioactive: Study Eyes Background Radiation of Everyday Objects" (2016-10-07, news.ncsu.edu) [archive.is/K9sLK] [begin excerpt]: Most people assume all radioactive materials are dangerous, if not deadly. But a new study on the radiation emitted by everyday objects highlights the fact that we interact with radioactive materials every day. The goal of the work is to give people a frame of reference for understanding news stories or other information about radiation and nuclear safety.
“We did this study because understanding how much radiation comes off of common household items helps place radiation readings in context – it puts things in perspective,” says Robert Hayes, an associate professor of nuclear engineering at North Carolina State University. “If people understand what trace levels of radiation mean, that understanding may help prevent panic.”
The researchers used a portable gamma radiation meter to measure the external gamma radiation emitted in a North Carolina home. The radiation was measured in microgray per hour (μGy/hr).
Avocados, for example, gave off 0.16 μGy/hr of gamma radiation – slightly less than the 0.17 μGy/hr emitted by a banana. Bricks gave off 0.15 μGy/hr, while smoke detectors (with their americium components) gave off 0.16. By way of comparison, natural uranium ore measured 1.57 μGy/hr.
“If you’re surprised that your fruit is emitting gamma radiation, don’t panic,” Hayes says. “The regulatory level for workers – which is safe – is exposure to 50,000 μGy per year. The levels we’re talking about in your household are incredibly low.” [end excerpt]
* "Physicists 'dissolve' water in an emerald; Scientists detect ferroelectric properties of water molecules by placing them into a network of nanoactivities in a crystal" (2016-10-05, mipt.ru) [archive.is/CiTPo]
* "A rule of chemistry suppressed — Promising new ways to look into cells, make LEDs" (2016-09-26, uvm.edu) [archive.is/GIepo]
* "Have scientists actually found way to turn off ageing?" (2016-10-10, rt.com) [archive.is/qyu3q]
Where Geo-Physics meets Geo-Politics...
* "Astronomers: Crimea is Moving Towards Russia" (2016-10-05, rg.ru) [archive.is/ShfnC], translated [archive.is/5f9Q1]: Radiointerferometric complex "Quasar-KVO" has allowed scientists to capture the movement of Crimean Peninsula towards mainland Russia, reported TASS with reference to director of the Institute of Applied Astronomy of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Alexander Ipatov.
"We tried to make an observation at the time of reunification with Crimea - to see where Crimea is moving," said the scientist. "And we found out: towards Russia, and we know the speed. This is real. We have the measurements, it is not a joke. Moving North-East."
The equipment installed in the village of Simeiz, recorded the movement of the peninsula to the North-East with a speed of 2.9 millimeters per year.
Data obtained by "Quasar-KVO" is reliable: its spatial-temporal resolution far exceeds the capacity of existing ground-based optical surveillance. This allows to define global tectonic crustal movements with millimeter precision.
Radio-interferometric complex "Quasar-KVO" consists of three radio-astronomical observatories: "Svetloe" in Leningrad region, "Zelenchukskaya" in Karachay-Cherkessia and "Badary" in the Republic of Buryatia. It contributes to the largest international astrometric, geodetic and astrophysical observations.
* "From nothing to glory in six decades - China's space program" (2016-10-10, XNA Newswire) [archive.is/aTSNj]
* "Space Jam: China appoints basketball star as ambassador to Mars" (2016-10-10, rt.com) [archive.is/iMTDu]
* "Visitors to Mars could develop dementia from cosmic ray exposure; The brain defects mirror those observed in a previous study, six weeks after exposure" (2016-10-10, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/8FcLF]
Photo from NASA showing Mars
* "Cassini data reveal subsurface ocean on Saturn's moon Dione" (2016-10-05, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/Q5SEI]
* "New dwarf planet discovered on edge of solar system" (2016-10-12, rt.com) [archive.is/wYX2I] [begin excerpt]: A new dwarf planet about half the size of Pluto has been discovered at the edge of our solar system, some 8.5 billion miles from the Sun.
The planet is called 2014 UZ224, measures about 530km (329 miles) in diameter and takes 1,100 years to orbit the Sun.
It was discovered by students from the University of Michigan and physicist David Gerdes, who uncovered it amongst a galaxy map created with his Dark Energy Camera (DECam) for a Dark Energy Survey project [darkenergysurvey.org/the-des-project/overview/]. [end excerpt]
* "700yrs to orbit Sun: New dwarf planet spotted beyond Neptune & Pluto" (2016-07-12, rt.com) [archive.is/hsORn] [begin excerpt]:
A team of astronomers have discovered a new dwarf planet in our solar system. Dubbed 2015 RR245, it is 120 times farther from the Sun than the Earth at its farthest orbital point.
“The icy worlds beyond Neptune trace how the giant planets formed and then moved out from the Sun. They let us piece together the history of our Solar System,” says Dr. Michele Bannister of the University of Victoria in British Columbia [archive.is/rqcYP], one of the researchers behind the finding. [end excerpt]
Illustration caption: Rendering of the orbit of RR245 (orange line). Objects as bright or brighter than RR245 are labeled. The Minor Planet Center describes the object as the 18th largest in the Kuiper Belt.
* "Earth-like planets in solar system ‘habitable zones’ to be photographed for 1st time" (2016-10-11, rt.com) [archive.is/gAGaE]
* "Proxima b: Planet that could support human life ‘may have oceans’ " (2016-10-06, rt.com) [archive.is/mM5aW] [begin excerpt]:
According to France’s CNRS research institute, the rocky extrasolar planet is in an orbit that allows it to have water on its surface, “thus raising the question of its habitability”.
The international team of astrophysicists have determined that the dimensions and properties of its surface reveal a mass that is close to that of Earth, “which actually favor its habitability”.
“It is likely to harbor liquid water at its surface and therefore to harbor life forms,” wrote CNRS [archive.is/BMrJD]. [...]
The researchers have two theories based on maximum and minimum estimations for Proxima b’s radius. In the first instance, they say the planet is either very dense, like Mercury, and surface water would not make up more than 0.05 percent of the planet’s total mass. [...]
Proxima b gained international attention when years of research into the planet showed it may have the right conditions to support life, all of which was published in the Nature journal last August [archive.is/mQ6zs].
Proxima b, which is 1.3 times the size of Earth, was found to be the planet most likely to harbor life - and as it’s located ‘just’ four light years away, it offers tantalizing possibilities as a site for human relocation. [end excerpt]
* "Twice as big as Mars: Hubble spots molten ‘cannonballs’ blasting through space" (2016-10-07, rt.com) [archive.is/j2acp]
* "White gold rush? Russian mammoth hunters dig into permafrost in search of precious ivory" (2016-10-08, rt.com) [archive.is/4RHB3]
* "Apollo Astronaut Edgar Mitchell Says Aliens Prevented Nuclear War On Earth To Ensure Our Survival" (2016-10-04, simplecapacity.com) [archive.is/M43vc]
* "Space war, Vatican knowledge of extraterrestrials revealed in Podesta emails" (2016-10-10, rt.com) [archive.is/N90DL] [begin excerpt]: Aliens want to help mankind but fear our violent tendencies, according to an email exchange revealed by Wikileaks. Mails sent by astronaut Edgar Mitchell to John Podesta cite an impending space war and the Vatican’s knowledge of alien life.
“Because the War in Space race is heating up, I felt you should be aware of several factors as you and I schedule our Skype talk,” Mitchell, who died in February, tells Podesta in the mails from 2015 [archive.is/3aBCV], before mentioning a “nonviolent” alien species that wishes to share with mankind “zero point energy.”
Podesta was serving as counselor to President Barack Obama during the exchange, before he left the position to become chairman of Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign. These emails emerged before Monday’s second batch of the ‘Podesta Emails’ were released by Wikileaks. [end excerpt]