Tune in Thursdays 4 to 5pm (PST), at 89.5FM in the northeast San Pablo Bay Area, or online at [is.gd/kJ1EUt].
Hosted by Dr.G., Minister of Information of the Northbay MDS.
Be a Community Journalist with our Community Journalist's Notebook [link].
Send news & info to [NorthbayMDS@) gmail.com]!
Northbay Uprising News scripts [link].
Archived webpages at (archive.org) and at (archive.is) are available even if the original is taken down. News links are provided for educational purposes only, and do not constitute an endorsement of political tendencies, or, of foreign governments. Circumvent "Error 451" [archive.is/WOZXx] by using the proxy server at [webproxy.to] or, by using Tor Browser [is.gd/r18EVD].
Damion Square, President of the Black Student Union at Santa Rosa Junior College.
Posting up with his new music video for
Watch it here: [is.gd/ssc1L7].
Tune-in to The Hitlist, ft. the Best in Bay Area rap and hip-hop, broadcast Thursdays, 3 to 4pm before the news, as Damion's new tracks are spun into rotation, including: "1time", "Rise Up", "American Nightmare", and "Pyramids to Plantations".
[Question]: Tell us about your work and how you motivate people to build power and unity?
[Answer]: As acting President of the Black Student Union at Santa Rosa Junior College I am an activist, community organizer, & hip-hop artist. I re-established the Black Student Union at Santa Rosa Junior College in late 2013 which had been dormant for over 10years.
In our first semester active we put together a fundraiser to send 5 of us to Tanzania, Africa to build a classroom for over 50 orphaned Tanzanian children. We raised over $17,000 which broke every fundraising record for a student club in the entire state of California. We were the dietary club in state to raise there own funds to go to a 3rd world country.
From there we came back and immediately starting creating BSU chapters at various high schools throughout Sonoma county-Montgomery high, Santa Rosa high, Analy high, etc. We work very closely with MeCha and stand in solidarity with all oppressed groups.
Last semester, after the BSU hear about football players at the school (who are predominantly black) were having a hard time feeding themselves due to class, homework, practice, games, etc they had no time for work. We heard that 5 had chipped in before a game to get a large pizza from little Caesars and immediately I saw a problem with that. So, we put together a fundraiser that fed the entire football team (70 players) before each game both away and home games. Each dinner was over $350 but we made it happen.
We are currently putting together an after school cultural empowerment program where youth in the community can come empower themselves through knowledge of self.
Musically, I feel like across all forms of media in the U.S. people of color are misrepresented. My goal is to create an independent media platform that solely produces content that uplifts, inspires, and re-dignifies people of color. I have a production company & entertainment company that I'm currently putting together (De-colonized Mindz Productions & Black Militant Intellectual Ent).
Education is the key, and when you consider that majority of youth are being educated via media creating a platform that speaks to their experiences in a way that would empower them culturally, spiritually, and intellectually hip-hop is the greatest vehicle for that. It is the #1 selling musical genre on planet earth. I feel like Hip-hop indeed is the ultimate liberation tool.
[Question]: Is there an African Nation in the USA? How would you explain the difference between "Black America" and the dominant American culture?
[Answer]: There is indeed a African nation within the confines of the USA. This African nation is represented by the 40 million African Americans who are the descendants of kidnapped Africans who were brought to the US as chattel property. We had our own language, spirituality, customs, and culture that was stripped from us as we were "assimilated" into the "dominant" culture which essentially erased our various African Nationhood statuses, but together we are still a part of the African collective minus having a land of our own that would truly allow for us to be called an African Nation.
The difference between black America and the dominant American culture is that black Americans are essentially "prisoners of war" to the dominant American culture who own & control all the various institutions that run our lives-economic, educating, political, agricultural, entertainment, etc are owned & controlled top to bottom by whites (white supremacy). With that, blacks always find ourselves in peculiar situations where we are either not being represented at all or being poorly represented due to an unequal balance of blacks in positions of power & authority.
Contact Damion at [d_nice334@)yahoo.com]
A list of gatherings, workshops, and educational events in the greater Bay Area region
Petaluma Stands Up for Racial Justice
Thursday, July 21, 5-6:00 PM
Silent vigil, one hour. Signs will say:
BLACK LIVES MATTER PROTECT BLACK, BROWN AND POOR
STAND UP FOR RACIAL JUSTICE
Come meet other white people in Petaluma standing up for racial justice in this time of so much violence by law enforcement against people of color. This is not so much criticism of our particular PD as calling ourselves and law enforcement generally to account. It is about ENDING WHITE SILENCE on law enforcement brutality against people of color. Stand with us. For more info: [facebook.com/events/1034002686714603]
Corner of N. Petaluma Blvd. and Shasta St. (near Petaluma Police Dept.) 969 Petaluma Blvd N., Petaluma
Memorial for Brother John Hess
Saturday: Luncheon at 11:30 a.m., Memorial at 1 p.m.
ILWU Local 6 Hall, 99 Hegenberger Rd. Oakland, CA
For more information, please contact Brother Joe Berry: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here is what Joe had to say about Brother John:
"Many on this list knew him as one of the main leaders of the lecturers in the CSU system, and especially at SFSU where he taguht for years since 1978, and finally as a CFA staff rep assigned to help build the lecturers’ council he had once led as Chair. He was also a major figure nationally in the contingent faculty movement. He was a founder and leader of Trade Unionists in Solidarity with El Salvador, TUSES (a CISPES chapter focused on union solidarity) in the 1980’s.
"He was a noted film teacher and scholar and one of the founding editors of the radical film journal “Jumpcut". He was married to Gail Sullivan, who pre-deceased him by 2 years, and who was herself a noted Bay Area labor figure, being a leader of Teamsters for a Democratic Union and the first woman to be elected as an IBT business agent in CA."
* A Labor Fest event:
The Lessons of the Preparedness Day Bombing for Today; Repression, Frame-up, Labor and Political Prisoners
July 24 (Sunday)
10:00 AM - 4:00 PM (Free)
ILWU Local 34 Hall - 801 2nd St. next to AT&T Ball Park
One hundred years ago, the trade unionist and labor activists Tom Mooney and Warren Billings were framed for a bombing that they did not do. After the bombing in San Francisco, unions were raided and the anti-labor business lobby went on a witch-hunt against organized labor, using this incident as a pretext.
Labor did mobilize to free Mooney and Billings. Hundreds of mass meetings were held and protests were organized. Major unions including the Machinists’ Lodge, the Iron Molders’ Association and United Steelworkers chose to strike, halting a large sector of the economy to demand their freedom. Two hundred and twenty big unions outside of industrial centers also joined in Mooney’s cause.
This forum will look at the use of so-called “terror” incidents to create a new anti-labor political environment. The use of “terrorism” as a political vehicle is a growing pretext for attack on our democratic and union rights.
This forum will look at some of the history of such incidents and political frame-ups of trade unionists and political activists.
It will also look at how labor has helped build a working class political movement to defend political prisoners in the US and around the world.
David Duckworth (art and cultural historian) &
Chris Kinder (Labor Action Committee To Free Mumia Abu-Jamal)
Sponsored by KPFA WorkWeek.
Endorsed by Labor Action Committee To Free Mumia Abu-Jamal
Laborfest: Defend Public Education-Conference
Saturday, July 30, 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Richmond High School - 1250 23rd St. Richmond, CA (Room TBA)
Defend Public Education, Charters: Connecting the Dots and Privatization - Conference
This conference will look at th history of the charter movement, how it has taken over the regulation of our education system, and how it is re-segregating education in California and nationally.
Public education in California is facing destruction in every direction. Supporters of charters and privatization over the last 30 years have seized control of the California Board of Education and also the Commission on Teacher Credentials (CTC). The deregulation of education rules in California allows a massive expansion of privately run charter schools in shopping malls and highly toxic industrial sites, even when local communities and school boards oppose their establishment.
Sponsored by: Fairmede Hilltop Neighborhood Council, United Public Workers For Action, Voices Against Privatizing Public Education, Defend Public Education
See also: [laborfest.net/2016/2016schedule.htm]
Petaluma Progressive Festival
Sunday, July 31, noon-5:00 PM
Free event! For more information visit: [progressivefestival.org] [facebook.com/petalumaprogressives]
Walnut Park 201 4th St., Petaluma
The Petaluma Progressives is a local grassroots political and educational action group, and producer of the Annual Progressive Festival in Petaluma, CA.
Peace At Home, Peace Abroad
A Just & Sustainable Future for the World's Children
Veterans For Peace Annual Convention
at Clark Kerr campus of University of California Berkeley, CA
Aug 11-15, 2016
Dr. Helen Caldicott on Nuclear Weapons: Can they be Abolished?
Saturday, August 12, 2:00 PM
San Francisco Public Library, Koret Auditorium, 100 Larkin St, San Francisco
"Nuclear Weapons: Can They Be Abolished?" will be the theme of a free, public lecture by the famed activist Dr. Helen Caldicott It will include a Q&A session.
The event is jointly sponsored by the SF Public Library (BST Dept.) and the new Coalition for Nuclear Disarmament -- made up of various peace groups organized by the SF-based War and Law League. For more information and a flier that can be circulated, see http://warandlaw.org.
Dr. Caldicott is an Australian physician, better known as the world's foremost antinuclear activist and the author of ten books, some of which may be available at the event. She has spent the last 45 years educating the public on nuclear perils. Her organizing of physicians in many lands culminated, in 1985, in a Nobel Peace Prize to International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War.
Stories are reviewed and provided by Northbay MDS Committees and Affiliates
BAY AREA SOLIDARITY
Updates on campaigns for Peace, Justice, & Freedom across the greater Bay Area, Norcal, and Socal
* (2016-07-15, Carl Patrick) [archive.is/jmGDg]: Really proud of all my tricycle riding comrades this week. Last weekend, pedicabbers raised over $500 for the family of Philando Castile by donating all or some of our fares for the day. In addition, I ran into probably dozens of co-workers in various protests in Oakland and SF. People in SF are starting to recognize the Pedicabs in the marches there, which feels pretty awesome.
One of the best moments of the SF protest for me: I ride up to the BART station before the march begins to grab one more ride to the Giants game. I pass by about 50 fully armored riot cops and try to sell them a ride: "Anyone need a ride outta here?" I say. They think I'm just joking around, so one cop goes: "Hehe, yeah, can you take us for the whole march?" I say: "No I don't want you anywhere near the march. But literally anywhere else away from here, I'll take you for free..." He looks confused, and then it slowly dawns on him that maybe I'm not his biggest fan.
* "Protest march organizer escorted out of Fresno City Council meeting" (2016-07-14, fresnobee.com) [archive.is/MuWM6]: Justice Medina, the activist who organized the July 9 protest march against police shootings through Fresno and into Clovis, was escorted out of the July 14 Fresno City Council meeting. Medina approached the dais during the public comment portion of the meeting and would not stop after the standard three-minute time limit was up.
* "I'M BLACK & MY LIFE MATTERS" music video by Hard Hitta Problem [https://youtu.be/jcVW_Fs7Siw]
(Instagram: @HardHitta_Problem) (Twitter: @IamDaProblem)
* "Say Their Names Their Lives Matter" event page (2016-07-15) [archive.is/iiqSx]: For each life lost at the hands of police their is a family that has been devastated by that loss.
For each new story in the news involving police abuse that same family's pain is relived.
Our loved ones whose lives have been taken, They have names, They were people, People we love.
Their Lives Matter, Their Stories need to be heard.
Our Lives matter, Our community matters and justice for our loved ones matter as well.
We welcome all to not only join us but share your stories of police abuse. you have our ear, we share your pain.
* (2016-07-14, Families United Against Police Brutality) [archive.is/Aapwm]:
Contact: MJ or Cynthia [916-890-5058]
Families United Against Police Brutality will hold a rally July15, 2016 at 6:00PM Addressing a local reality of police brutality, followed by a reading of names of those whose lives have been taken by police . Corner of Capitol St & Sonoma Blvd, Vallejo, CA 94590
Due to the steady increase of lives lost at the hands of police across America, Systematic flaws within the justice system that disregard accountability for crimes committed by police officers, Immediate action is needed to address many claims of police abuse on a local level.
In 2012 One police officer was responsible for half of Vallejo’s officer –involved shootings. Officer Sean Kenney is a Marksman trained to shoot with precision, Instead made a decision to Shoot to kill three unarmed men using the “I Feared For My Life” statement, following each death . All of Kenney’s Kills involve unarmed men with him being the aggressor in the situation. One of his victims include Mario Romero, who was shot 30 times while sitting in his car, 8 of those shots went through the palms of Mr. Romero’s hands.Each of Kenney’s kills have garnered suspicion due to police accounts failing to match witness accounts and police avoidance of witnesses during the most crucial time of an investigation.
Sean Kenney is without a doubt well connected in the city of Vallejo. A relative worked in the District Attorney’s office during the time of his kills as well as a Solano County judge in his family.
Many members of the Vallejo community believe having this connection has allowed him to be promoted to detective instead of prosecuted.
In addition to officer Kenney’s killings he has been named as a defendant on many citizen complaints as well as court documents of police brutality lodged against the city of Vallejo resulting in enormous payouts.
While this is just a sample of the reality of police brutality no change can be made without officer accountability, Addressing the city’s acknowledgment that they do not drug test or psychologically evaluate any of their officer once they have been hired.
“We believe that a mentally and physically healthy officer is a happy officer. A police force that is held to a much higher standard than the community that it serves gains the full trust of the people. We hope to make this a reality for the everyone in the city of Vallejo”.
Update (2016-07-16): We want to thank everyone who took the time and made the effort to show up for change in the community of Vallejo ,CA. Those of you who have consciously made a decision to stand up against violence not because of popularity or fad are building the foundation for change. You are teachers of the future, leading the youth in the right direction, encouraging them to stand up against in justice in the world.
#FamiliesUnitedAgainstPoliceBrutality #NoJusticeNoPeace #BlueLivesMurder #Justice4MarioRomero #VallejoCa #VPD
#JailKillerCopsNow #BlackLivesMatter #Justice4All #StolenLives #FUAPB #VTH
Photos by Carmen Slaughter: [archive.is/OmByR] [archive.is/e2AYU] [archive.is/HNUql] [archive.is/XKyE6] [archive.is/BfdhP] [archive.is/30wJg] [archive.is/Gswli] [archive.is/vJa90] [archive.is/Wpaz3] [archive.is/AWudt] [archive.is/QS8se] [archive.is/hy7Sh]
Rip MIKE WHITE ALSO KILLED BY VALLEJO POLICE TASED TO DEATH BY TASK FORCE OFFICER (POCS) FRIENDS WITH (D.JOSEPH) TOOK MY UNCLE FROM US SHIT ALOT OF MY FAMILY MEMBERS FUCK THE SYSTEM AND ANYTHING ELSE THAT IS CONNECTED WITH POLICE IN ANYWAY SAME GO FOR THEM VOLUNTEERS AND WATCH GROUPS FUCK YOU Y'ALL EGGIN THIS SHIT ON IF YOU ASK ME
Justice for James DeLaRosa Bakersfield California
National Call to Action
Remembering Alton Sterling, Philando Castile, Tamir Rice and every life lost to police violence. Standing as one for Police Accountability and the End of Police Brutality Together We Stand, in our mission to proactively dismantle racism, discrimination and police brutality, in partnership with community activists and justice organizations across the United States will hold a Call to Action in remembrance of Alton Sterling, Philando Castile, and the many victims of police violence. Vigil scheduled to take place on Friday July 15 at 5 pm at Richmond City Hall in order to remember those we have lost and to demand complete and full accountability of the police. In unity, we, as a nation, can accomplish the change we seek and ensure freedom and equality for all.
To sign up and to volunteer to assist in organizing check out the event of Facebook or please visit:
http://togetherwestand.nationbuilder.com/calendar Or Call 1 (800) 528-1084
* (2016-06-16, Charles Rachlis) [archive.is/7PLei]: Young black, brown and white High School women lead the march in Oakland with boundless energy!
* "Young Silicon Valley on the Rise Up Tip" (2016-07-15, facebook.com/bayareaintifada) [archive.is/fpwll]:
As yet there is no official Black Lives Matter presence in the nation's most valued capitalist asset, young people are aiming to change that, as the engine of innovation that birthed the likes of Apple Computer, Adobe, and an entirely new ever evolving industry hasn't been able to solve tor imagine their way out of the problem of police abuse and police murder. So young people who've had enough of waiting are on the move and have been taking it upon themselves. Teen's are bringing a dissident new energy to San Jose, the self proclaimed Capital of Silicon Valley, in the wake of the police murder of one of their own, Anthony Nunez, 18 on the Fourth of July. The unarmed teen was shot three times by sharpshooters from SJPD's MERGE (SWAT) in front of his home during what was supposed to be a Mental Health Wellness Check. The SJPD quickly arrested his friends and members of his family that had witnessed the murder, in order to detain and intimidate them, keeping them away from his family. His body remained in front of his him for over 10 hours, as his family was kept away, and uninformed about what happened. Following his murder the Police immediately seized the cellphones of those they were about to detain, and they have yet to be returned.
Following his murder, there were three separate community gatherings outside of his home commemorating his life, and mourning its lost, led by his friends and family who grew up with him. In just this last week there has been two youth majority and two youth led demonstrations in solidarity with Black & Brown Lives, highlighting the tragedy of his life cut short. This action will mark the third such demonstration done this week, a memorial earlier in the week, and finally his burial taking place today. The story of his murder has been highlighted in mainstream Spanish Language Media, internationally in TeleSur and has become the center of activist intellectual Rosa Clemente's political passion project to bridge black and brown liberationists together across the divide and conquer tactics of the state. In San Jose, cross racial, cross class solidarity is rapidly moving beyond words, and becoming the mandatory currency for participation.
Though the actions in San Jose appear tame when contrasted with freeway shutdowns and the like, whats happening in the South Bay shows a marked and steady shift toward continuous political action in the streets, and the emergence of a new generation of people into the fray of Social Justice. San Jose's 2016, will be marked as the year of the fascist bash, when Trump supporters were sent running in fear by politically incorrect Black and Mexican youth, largely from the cities Eastside. San Jose's militancy, marked a qualitative uptick in the type of intolerance for bigotry rarely seen in such a sedate place, let alone publicly, but it has set the stage for what is expected to be a long hot summer for Trump and his acolytes at the RNC. Inspired, young people have been rapidly filling out their tactical resume, employing a variety of beginners tactics to make sure that they are heard, and political action grows and continues.
#blacklivesmatter #blm #blackbrownunity #anthonynunez #justiceforanthonynunez #sanjose #siliconvalley #ftp #acab #eastside #facebook
Justice for David Sal Silva, murdered on 5-8-2013 in Bakersfield California. The Deadliest County in the Nation. Read the Guardian paper December 2015 issue, regarding police brutality.
BAY AREA SOLIDARITY: Updates on campaigns across the Nation!
* "Why highways have become the center of civil rights protest" (2016-07-13, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/yJlmu]
* " 'Black Lives Matter' Protesters Shut Down Southbound I-15" (2016-07-16, nbcsandiego.com) [archive.is/7dHdl]
* "41 arrested, charged for blocking I-35W" (2016-07-13, kare11.com) [archive.is/hYgwY]
* "13 Black Lives Matter protesters arrested after blocking I-95S traffic" (2016-07-18, nbc12.com) [archive.is/rEWHz]
* "65 police brutality protesters, including 10 underage, detained in Baltimore" (2016-07-17, rt.com) [archive.is/9HeS8]
* ANSWER Action to End Racist Police Terror! [archive.is/o91Uc]:
Thur. July 21, 5pm
Action to End Racist Police Terror!
Gather Powell and Market St., SF
Thousands of people across the country are showing their outrage in the streets following the brutal murder by the police of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile, and in opposition to the epidemic of racist police terror in the United States. ANSWER Coalition chapters have and will continue to organize, support and participate in this wave of struggle.
Every day the numbers continue to climb. As of July 17, the cops have murdered 596 people of color and poor people this year alone, disproportionately African American men and women. That’s on average more than 3 people per day! This is state-sanctioned terror directed against Black, Brown and poor people and only a sustained people’s movement in the streets can stop it.
As part of a national day of action initiated by the Movement for Black Lives, join us in the streets this Thursday in San Francisco to demand justice for all the victims of police brutality and end to racist police terror.
* " 'Day of Rage' protests against police killings planned across US" (2016-07-15, rt.com) [archive.is/Pu0p9]: Police departments nationwide are anticipating “Day of Rage” protests, following the announcement by an account claiming to represent the hacker group Anonymous. It called for 36 cities to participate in response to killings of civilians by police.
The call for Friday, July 15 to be a day of action came on July 9 in a YouTube video by user TheAnonMessage. The authenticity of the video could not be verified.
In the video description, a link reveals the 36 locations where “a collective day of rage” is encouraged to happen.
It is also worth noting that the Twitter account YourAnonNews, also associated with the Anonymous hacker group, is denying the YouTube channel’s authenticity.
The Dallas Police Department, which is on high alert following last week's sniper attack that left five officers dead, is preparing for a Friday protest, despite one not being confirmed, reports the Dallas Morning News.
Local businesses near Lafayette Square in New Orleans are advising employees to go home early to avoid any trouble, and New Orleans Police Department spokeswoman Dawne Massey said officers would respond if a protest materialized, according to the Advocate.
The Department of Defense is also taking the matter seriously, sending out a “threat advisory” this week “informing DOD personnel that a series of protests has been scheduled to be conducted across the United States on July 15, 2016,” the New York Post reported.
In response to the announcement listing the St. Louis Arch as another protest site, the Scott Air Force Base in Illinois recommended “all SAFB personnel to avoid the Arch during this time due to potential protests and criminal activity,” in a post on its Facebook page.
* "Defense Department workers warned to avoid ‘day of rage’ protests" (2016-07-14, nypost.com) [archive.is/7k7jz]
* "Little evidence 'Day of Rage' to occur in New Orleans, but police ready; some businesses closing early" (2016-07-15, theadvocate.com) [archive.is/m4V5w]
* "Dallas authorities ready for rumored 'Day of Rage,' but no sign of protest" (2016-07-15, dallasnews.com) [archive.is/kZB38]
* (2016-07-14, facebook.com/ScottAirForceBase) [archive.is/yft8N]: SITUATION UPDATE: Recent highly publicized police shootings have resulted in numerous protests across the United States. There have been several reports of a nationwide "Day of Rage" on 15 July declared by the hacker collective known as "Anonymous". The St. Louis Arch was identified as a potential protest site on Friday, July 15 at 6 p.m. Although these rumors do not appear to be credible, both the National Park Service at the Gateway Arch and the St. Louis Metropolitan Police have been made aware. Recommend all SAFB personnel continue to monitor the news for potential protests or criminal activity in that area during this time. Please be safe and aware of your surroundings, and please report any information that may suggest a credible concern to the authorities.
* "Anonymous 'Day of Rage' Protests: A rumor that the hacktivist collective Anonymous has called for nationwide 'Day of Rage' protests on 15 July 2016 is identical to a false rumor circulated in 2014" (2016-06-11, snopes.com) [archive.is/0Gyjk]
* "Planned 'Day of Rage' protests fail to materialize, with some exceptions" (2016-07-15, rt.com) [archive.is/38MCj] [begin excerpt]: In Oakland, however, there were some who showed up with messages tying in to the Black Lives Matter movement and the call to action known as the Day of Rage [archive.is/Ox2Qf]. [end excerpt]
Please sign for CURTIS LAW
Ruby Conde lives in the state of New Jersey.where her beloved son DERRICK MACK was KILLED by the Police.
* "Cobb neighbors outraged by hacked highway sign" (2016-07-18, wsbtv.com) [is.gd/Cc8ZMB]: The electronic sign was hacked [archive.is/gegPR] to make it read an anti-police message.
SOLIDARITY WITH THE NEW AFRICAN NATION!
Black Power! Revive the Community! Defend the Nation!
National News [blackagendareport.com] [atlantablackstar.com] [sfbayview.com]
* "Atlanta bank sees 8,000 new accounts after rapper’s shoutout" (2016-07-14, nypost.com) [archive.is/SMpZY]
* "BLACK FARMERS TO BUY FROM INSTEAD OF WHOLE FOODS" (2015-04-30, blavity.com) [archive.is/RdYWi]
On stage, in a packed room of Bloods and Crips, We call on All hoods in racist Amerikkka to Unite! On left, rapper: The Game...
At the Gang truce rally in Los Angeles - 7/17/16 - Black Riders - New Generation Black Panther Party for Self Defense! Black Power! All Power to the People! RBG 4 LIFE!
At today's Gang Truce rally in Los Angeles... General T.A.C.O. in the middle of the line... Black Riders - New Generation Black Panther Party for Self-Defense... Black Power! All Power to the People! RBG 4 LIFE!
* "New Black Panther Party forms Baton Rouge chapter" (2016-07-16, wbrz.com) [archive.is/4E1W3]:
Baton Rouge residents gathered Saturday afternoon to form the newest chapter of the New Black Panther Party.
The New Black Panthers arrived in Baton Rouge last Saturday to protest the officer-involved shooting death of 37-year-old Alton Sterling. Two videos of the shooting sparked national outcry and protests across Baton Rouge.
Jerald Justice said the group was approached by local residents like Edwin Smith to help establish a Baton Rouge chapter.
“It is time for new leadership and a new organization to step forward in Baton Rouge,” Smith said. “I feel like the New Black Panther Party is the organization that can bring new leadership to Baton Rouge.”
Founders met Saturday to formally establish the chapter as well as gather names for new members. WBRZ News 2’s Earl Phelps was able to briefly attend the event on the condition that he does not reveal the meeting’s location.
“With the help of the New Black Panther Party, these members should be able to handle any or everything in their city,” Justice said.
Over the course of five days, authorities arrested 185 protesters in Baton Rouge. Friday, District Attorney Hillar Moore said that his office will not prosecute 100 protesters who were only charged with misdemeanor crimes.
Justice said that the Black Panthers were involved in the protests, but none of their members were arrested or were carrying guns during the demonstrations.
“Not one official member arrested. Not one official member hurt,” Justice said. “Every member went home.”
Lafayette is the only other city in Louisiana with an active New Black Panthers’ chapter. Justice says that there was also a New Orleans chapter, but it is not active now.
* "Chants Encounter: A perpetually recirculating video of Black Lives Matter protesters chanting for 'dead cops' dates to December 2014 and is unrelated to BLM protest events occurring in July 2016" (2016-07-18, snopes.com) [archive.is/cbgNT]
* "Josh Feuerstein to Black Lives Matter: ‘I will fill you with 60 rounds of pure lead’ " (2016-07-08, deadstate.org) [archive.is/4SDI2]
* "Joshua Feuerstein: If You Threaten a Cop, “I Will Shoot You Dead,” Just As Jesus Told Me To" (2016-07-18, patheos.com) [archive.is/70CK7]
* (2016-07-13) [archive.is/m48gh]: R. I. P to 22 years old Michael Smith Jr! We're going to bring you justice! They say you hung yourself from the Tree but we know better. #PiedmontParkHanging
* "A Lynching Didn't Kill This Young Gay Man — Stigma Did; Michael George Smith Jr. was found hanging from a tree in an Atlanta park, and society can only blame itself" (2016-07-14, advocate.com) [archive.is/iiIgL]
[comment]: They claimed it was a suicide before they even investigated. So it took a week to find a suicide note? I'm just not convinced he climbed a tree and attached a rope to his neck and jumped.
* "NYC cops beat up black man inside his own home for walking his dog off leash" (2015-12-28, rawstory.com) [archive.is/mkg3p]
* "Labor union and Organization for Black Struggle pledge partnership" (2016-07-14, stltoday.com) [archive.is/PK2IZ] [begin excerpt]: AFL-CIO Executive Vice President Tefere Gebre was in St. Louis Thursday to meet with more than just area labor leaders. He also made a stop at the St. Louis-based Organization for Black Struggle’s office and community center in the Hamilton Heights neighborhood in north St. Louis.
Longtime Organization for Black Struggle leader Jamala Rogers said the two groups are collaborating to help build local organizers and get them involved in the political process and labor organizing. She wants to see the creation of a “black worker center” in the neighborhood, which she said is struggling from decades of disinvestment.
“That does call for an educated, enlightened electorate, particularly workers, and for us, that’s black workers,” Rogers said. “That’s our focus.” [end excerpt]
* "Black Lives Matter activists say FBI told them not to protest GOP Convention; Samuel Sinyangwe and Johnetta Elzie of Campaign Zero both say agents attempted to visit them in the past week" (2016-07-14, independent.co.uk) [archive.is/enQuz]
* Photo (2016-07-15, dallasnews.com) [archive.is/kZB38], caption: Olinka Green speaks through a bullhorn during a Black Lives Matter rally in downtown Dallas on Thursday, July 7, 2016. As the rally and march were winding down, Micah Xavier Johnson, 25, opened fire in an attack that killed five police officers and wounded seven other officers and two civilians.
* "Armed Black Protesters Cause Cleveland Police To Call For 'Temporary Suspension of Second Amendment' " (2016-07-17, by M. David; reporting on the ground by Geno F.S. and others, for countercurrentnews.com) [is.gd/kFwBWV] [begin excerpt]: The head of Cleveland’s largest police union has just called on Ohio Gov. John Kasich to temporarily restrict the state’s open carry gun laws and the Second Amendment during this week’s Republican National Convention.
This call comes as members of various Black “Open Carry” and self-defense organizations began arriving in the city.
When various “gun rights” groups, with predominantly pro-Republican agendas and predominantly Caucasian members said they planned to show up, there was still no call from the police. Suddenly, as more and more African American armed protesters began checking in on the streets of Cleveland, the police made the call to the governor.
“We are sending a letter to Gov. Kasich requesting assistance from him. He could very easily do some kind of executive order or something – I don’t care if it’s constitutional or not at this point,” Stephen Loomis, president of Cleveland Police Patrolmen’s Association, audaciously said.
Ohio police, like police in every other state, are sworn to uphold not only the federal and state constitutions, but also the laws of the state they work in. This was a clear call for the police to write the laws themselves, on the fly.
“They can fight about it after the RNC or they can lift it after the RNC, but I want him to absolutely outlaw open-carry in Cuyahoga County until this RNC is over,” he continued.
State law in Ohio allows legal firearm owners to carry their weapons in public. In fact, this is in the Ohio state constitution itself. There’s no getting around that, even by a proposed executive order.
More astonishingly, this shows how little even the higher ups in the Cleveland police understand the way the law actually works.
With the small exception of a so-called “secure zone” set up inside and around the Quicken Loans Arena, protesters are legally allowed to walk around the city – including within its 1.7 square mile regulated “event zone” – with any firearm that is legal in the state.
Kasich, for his part, responding to the request, saying: “Ohio governors do not have the power to arbitrarily suspend federal and state constitutional rights or state laws as suggested.” [end excerpt]
* "Cleveland police union asks for suspension of 'open carry' in wake of Baton Rouge, ahead of RNC" (2016-07-18, edition.cnn.com) [archive.is/sBkO2]
* "Cleveland Police Ask For Emergency Suspension Of Open Carry Laws During Republican Convention" (2016-07-17, thinkprogress.org) [archive.is/2X0pG]
* "Kasich says hands tied as Cleveland police union seeks open-carry ban for convention" (2016-07-17, foxnews.com) [archive.is/qv0NE]
* (2016-07-11) [archive.is/9RhY6]: This is a picture of the Dallas sniper after being blowing up. I have obtained this picture off a pro NYPD website...
* "Singer kicked out of band for adding ‘All Lives Matter’ to Canadian anthem at MLB All-Star game" (2016-07-14, rt.com) [archive.is/aZDmK]
* "Baton Rouge shooting: 3 police dead & 3 injured, shooter dead – LA superintendent" (2016-07-18, updated 2016-07-18, rt.com) [archive.is/Rbhoa]
* "Baton Rouge shooting LIVE UPDATES" (2016-07-17, rt.com) [archive.is/2POGg] [archive.is/hfOFv]
* "Baton Rouge shooter identified as former marine, reportedly ex-Nation of Islam member" (2016-07-18, rt.com) [archive.is/ONeiq]
* " ‘Hated in uniform, threat to cops when not’: Slain black Baton Rouge officer’s emotional appeal" (2016-07-18, rt.com) [archive.is/nOEu8]
* "The KKK Has Infiltrated U.S. Police Departments for Decades; During the Civil Rights movement, one of the KKK’s first orders was to infiltrate police departments around the country" (2015-12-19, alternet.org) [archive.is/PiZGk] [begin excerpt]: In 1991, a neo-Nazi white supremacist gang was terrorizing the streets of Lynwood in Los Angeles County. The reason these violent thugs could run amok was because they were deputies at the Lynwood Sheriff’s station, having the power of blue privilege.
A federal judge acknowledged [archive.is/uEUlr] that the gang of deputies carried out “systematic acts of shooting, killing, brutality, terrorism, house-trashing and other acts of lawlessness and wanton abuse of power.”
These maniacs were not the sudden appearance of a unique group of individuals among law enforcement, but the progeny of a decades-long effort by the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) to infiltrate police departments wherever possible.
That’s why it is so difficult to believe the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) when it said on Tuesday that there was no racial profiling in any of the 1,365 allegations leveled against the department from 2012 to 2014 [archive.is/xgDKE].
“I don’t think anybody believes that there are actually no incidents of biased policing,” said Matt Johnson, president of the Police Commission panel. “The problem is we don’t have an effective way of really adjudicating the issue.”
“While no doubt the vast majority of LAPD officers do not engage in biased policing, it strains credibility to suggest that … there were zero instances of biased policing,” said commissioner Robert Saltzman. “It should not be surprising that there is diminished trust in the LAPD given these results.”
The LAPD seems to think that the influence of neo-Nazi, white supremacist groups is a thing of the past.
A Florida deputy police chief was exposed as a member of the KKK last year [archive.is/z0kBI], and no criminal wrongdoing was found as he resigned. In September, a Louisiana police detective was caught in a photo giving a Nazi salute at a KKK rally. An Alabama police officer recently spoke at a League of the South rally.
While the South has been fertile ground for racist groups, the KKK has penetrated many police departments around the country, as evidenced by the Lynwood horror.
Larissa Moore and four of her law school colleagues performed an investigation of unsolved civil rights murders from 1946 to 1969, under a Syracuse University program, and confirmed an ugly truth.
During the Civil Rights movement, one of the KKK’s first orders was to infiltrate police departments, “because the laws don’t apply to them if they are the law,” according to Moore.
This echoes an FBI statement in 2006 that white supremacist groups “have historically engaged in strategic efforts to infiltrate and recruit from law enforcement communities.” The federal agency’s concern seems to be selfish, though, as it stated that the hate group’s actions cause “investigative breaches and can jeopardize the safety of law enforcement sources and personnel.”
So far, the FBI has not reviewed any of the 37 cases sent to them from the program in which Moore is involved—The Cold Case Justice Initiative. Since the purview expires in 2017, there seems to be little chance that the FBI will take meaningful action. [end excerpt]
* "Working as Intended: The Inextricably Wound Threads of White Nationalism and US Law Enforcement" (2016-07-10, empireofloathing.com) [archive.is/62K82]
* "Killer Cops: Slain Dallas Officer's Ties to White Supremacy; Thandisizwe Chimurenga told teleSUR the issue is worrying because it allows cops 'to carry out their white supremacist agendas with impunity' " (2016-07-14, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/JEtKS]
How American Conservatives are trained to deny the existence of the New Jim Crow regime
* "The Race War No One Can Win: The War on Cops, racism allegations are largely non-factual" (2016-07-13, nationalreview.com) [archive.is/dcvvu] [begin excerpt]: The cold fact, however, is that black political and community leaders, back in the 1980s, spearheaded the drive for more severe legal penalties against those who sold crack cocaine. Black congressman Charlie Rangel of Harlem was just one of those black leaders who urged these more severe penalties. So did the New York Times, the promoter of many crusades on the left.
Fast forward to the present, when both black leaders and the New York Times are blaming white racism for the more severe penalties for selling crack cocaine. If you want to see what they were saying back in the 1980s, check pages 154-159 of The War on Cops. [...]
One of the most popular arguments used in many different contexts is to show that blacks have been disproportionately represented among people stopped by police, arrested, or imprisoned, as well as disproportionately represented among people turned down for mortgage loans or for other benefits.
Although many people regard these “disparate-impact” statistics as evidence, or virtually proof, of racial discrimination, suppose that I should tell you that black basketball players are penalized by NBA referees out of all proportion to the 13 percent that blacks are in the American population.
“Wait a minute!” you might respond. “Blacks are more than just 13 percent of the players in the NBA.”
Black basketball players are several times more numerous than 13 percent of all NBA players. This is especially so among the star players, who are more likely to be on the floor, rather than sitting on the bench. And players on the floor most are the ones most likely to get penalized.
Hillary Clinton, for example, decried a “disgrace of a criminal-justice system that incarcerates so many more African Americans proportionately than whites.”
The most reliable crime statistics are statistics on murders, 52 percent of which were committed by blacks over the period from 1976 to 2005. If blacks are convicted of far more than 13 percent of all murders, does that mean that racism in the courts must be the reason? [end excerpt]
* "Meet the Conservatives Who Campaigned for Apartheid South Africa; Grover Norquist, Jack Abramoff and Jeff Flake all spent their early years trying to end the divestment movement" (2013-07-09, thenation.com) [archive.is/Y9ydP]
* (2016-07-18, whowhatwhy.org) [archive.is/fgrJj]: Today, the world celebrates Nelson Mandela International Day on the revolutionary's birthday. It is also a day to remember those who worked against the divestment from South Africa campaign, including Americans. Divestment was a major factor in ending the apartheid system. Grover Norquist, Jeff Flake and Jack Abramoff, pictured here, were among the people who polished their conservative resumes by undermining the movement.
Documenting human-rights abuse by domestic security agencies
[NorthbayCopwatch.blogspot.com] [copblock.org] [wecopwatch.org] [filmingcops.com]
* "At Least 2 Dozen SFPD Officers Tied to Teen at Center of Sexual Exploitation Scandal" (2016-07-15, sfgate.com) [archive.is/3o2QJ]
NORTHBAY COPWATCH: Domestic Security Agencies and private-sector partners
* "1,000 probes in potential lone-wolf attackers in US" (2016-07-14, rt.com) [archive.is/UhhIy]
* " 'US more interested in targeting Muslims than white supremacists' " (2016-07-19, presstv.com) [archive.is/LKO3R]
Domestic security agencies are using terrorism attacks in foreign lands as an excuse to ramp up the security regime over the USA!
* "What we know so far about Nice truck rampage on Bastille Day" (2016-07-15, rt.com) [archive.is/gbaW7]
* Contradictions in the Nice truck bomb shown in photos [archive.is/6iJ4X]
* "Extremely gruesome video shows aftermath of Nice’s Bastille Day attack" (2016-07-15, rt.com) [archive.is/uleeQ]
* " ‘It is only getting worse’: US politicians react to Nice attack" (2016-07-15, rt.com) [archive.is/rdfcL]
* "Downtown Dallas building lit up with French tricolor after Nice attack" (2016-07-15, rt.com) [archive.is/7PSRz]
* "New York State ramps up security following Nice attack" (2016-07-15, rt.com) [archive.is/d5QVJ]
* "Islamic State claims responsibility for truck attack in Nice" (2016-07-16, rt.com) [archive.is/E5mM9]
* "Newt Gingrich blames Obama for Nice attack, calls for screening of all Muslims" (2016-07-15, rt.com) [archive.is/8A3Ce]
* "Nice massacre lesson: ‘Surveillance state doesn’t protect against lone wolves’ " (2016-07-15, rt.com) [archive.is/udZfx]
* "Risk of ‘lone wolf’ terror attacks increasing – EU police agency" (2016-70-20, rt.com) [archive.is/sxtoP]
* "Texts, city tours, empty bank account & rented car: How Nice attacker planned terror act" (2016-07-17, rt.com) [archive.is/dGCLr]
* "Sikh man wrongly identified as France terror suspect...for the second time" (2016-07-15, rt.com) [archive.is/DpVBX]
NORTHBAY COPWATCH: Five-Eyes, and other transnational partners
* "Israeli government 'lawfare contractor' sues Facebook for $1b; Shurat HaDin has admitted in the past to taking its marching orders from Israeli intelligence and government officials, lawsuit comes just days after senior minister said Mark Zuckerberg has blood on his hands" (2016-07-15, 972mag.com) [archive.is/lu6Pw] [begin excerpt]: On the heels of the bizarre offensive Israeli Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan’s launched against Facebook last week, radical right-wing legal organization Shurat HaDin filed a $1 billion lawsuit against the social media giant, in what appears to be a coordinated effort by the Israeli government and an allegedly non-governmental organization (more on that later).
In the suit, filed in U.S. Federal Court, Shurat HaDin alleges that by allowing Hamas to use its social networking and communications platforms, that Facebook provides material support to the Palestinian group in attacks on American citizens in Israel and the West Bank.
The day after the group filed the lawsuit, the Justice Ministry submitted an early version of a draft law titled, “Removing content constituting a crime from the Internet,” which would provide the state with additional tools to control content published on the web. The draft law not only deals with social networks, but also expands the state’s ability to control results on search engines such as Google. According to the draft law, the state will be able to submit a request to Administrative Affairs Courts to remove content from the web — an order whose purpose is to force websites to remove content upon the government’s request. The draft law allows the state to rely on “classified material” in requesting the content to be removed. [...]
According to a document published by WikiLeaks, a 2007 diplomatic cable from the U.S. Embassy in Tel Aviv, Shurat HaDin also takes its marching orders directly from the Israeli government and its intelligence agencies. Darshan-Leitner is quoted in the cable as saying: “The National Security Council (NSC) legal office saw the use of civil courts as a way to do things that they are not authorized to do.” She even named her contacts in the Mossad and National Security Council, Uzi Shaya and Udi Levy, respectively, and said that Mossad gave her intelligence information about money transfers executed by private companies. Such an organization, which presents itself as a non-governmental organization (NGO) but actually is directed by state actors, has been termed a GONGO (government-operated non-governmental organization).
In a 2013 interview with the Israel-based Globes business daily (Hebrew) [archive.is/54iv9], Darshan-Leitner confirmed that Israeli intelligence agencies directly asked her to sue a specific bank. They promised her they would supply her with witnesses, documents, and evidence. In the same interview, he explained that almost from day one she has been collaborating with Israeli security agencies, including the Shin Bet, the Mossad, Military Intelligence, and the National Security Council. [end excerpt]
from the Committee to
FREE 'EM ALL!
End the Drug War! Stop Jim Crow! Close the Torture Chambers! [solitarywatch.com] [facebook.com/incarceratedworkers] [supportprisonerresistance.noblogs.org] [denverabc.wordpress.com] [prisonlegalnews.org] [prisonbooks.info] [nycabc.wordpress.com] [powmedicaljustice.com] [sacprisonersupport.wordpress.com]. Become a Human Rights Pen Pal! [link].
* "The 13th Amendment – prison slavery and mass incarceration" (2016-07-20, by Jalil Muntaqim, sfbayview.com) [archive.is/DDtCa]. Jalil Muntaqim founded the Jericho Movement, which supports political prisoners, fighting for their recognition and amnesty.
* "Mississippi Jails Are Losing Inmates, And Local Officials Are ‘Devastated’ By The Loss Of Revenue; 'If they do not send us our inmates back, we can’t make it,' said one county supervisor" (2016-04-14, huffingtonpost.com) [archive.is/FDwAe]
* "Private Prisons Threaten To Sue States Unless They Get More Inmates For Free Labor" (2015-06-24, countercurrentnews.com) [is.gd/IQ4SiK]
* "How Louisiana Became The World's 'Prison Capital'" (2012-06-05, npr.org) [archive.is/grZFI]
* "LOUISIANA INCARCERATED: How we built the world's prison capital" (nola.com) [archive.is/kwRDD]
* (2016-07-14, facebook.com/dignityandpowernow) [archive.is/YQQvr]: Twin Towers Correctional Facility in DTLA is the world's largest jail and the nation's largest "caretaker" of the mentally ill. LA County is trying to build TWO new jails including the one pictured below. #Stop2BillionJail
See this and other disturbing facts and images in the county's full jail plan here: http://bos.lacounty.gov/LA-County-Jail-Plan
articles recommended by the
SAN PABLO BAY ECOLOGICAL PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION
Campaigns, info, and more [SanPabloBayEPA.blogspot.com]. Science [discardstudies.com]. [blog.savesfbay.org]
* (2016-07-16, facebook.com/doug.darling.5) [archive.is/HB8g5] [archive.is/WEBiM] [archive.is/LDzGH]:
Almost 3500 pieces I plucked out by hand. Instead of sinking, these debris are stuck in the weeds. That is the only reason they were retrievable. When using a net, others were dislodged and sank. After 20 + years of fireworks, this is the first time a clean up was ever performed by Discovery Kingdom. Interesting how a Corporation can be so negligent. Know this, City of Vallejo is also responsible for such negligence. It's 2016, we need to do a better job of managing this ecological asset known as Chabot.
This 3 day event cost between 40-60k. Harvesting, paying for the show, hiring 3 aquatic contractor's to cleanup, and more. Yet nothing contributed to Chabot for taking the negative impact. These should never had been allowed to enter our waterway in the 1st place. This is clearly not an appropriate use of this land. As an advocate for the environment, I cannot buy into any excuse to attempt to justify trashing this particular watershed. This is not necessary in order to celebrate our Independence.
This is half of a "Single Break Aerial Shell" (photo) [archive.is/2lqpW]. 285 of these were discharged 3 nights in a row. Outer shell is condensed layers of cardboard. Most pieces are not this large, this is not common. Some float, some sink. If the edges are exposed to water, they sink. If concave, they will float longer. Nothing about these debris are straightforward. Biodegradable is nothing but an escape clause here. Thousands of these pieces are strewn in the water each night. Many sink, never to be recovered.
If we are not willing to introduce this type of pollutant into our pets water or food dish, than we should not be willing to introduce this into Lake Chabot. An abundance of wildlife is dependent on this watershed for survival. As an environmental-thug, I don't buy it, our entertainment should not take precedent over our environment.
Photos: [archive.is/Tgcn3] [archive.is/67wBq] [archive.is/d5sX4] [archive.is/ELsn7] [archive.is/Gz0Y0] [archive.is/Urlcn] [archive.is/KKE1M].
* (2016-07-16, facebook.com/doug.darling.5) [archive.is/O5CuU]:
A little blast from the past here. Last year I brought NBC out and they did a 6pm news story on Discovery Kingdom Fireworks Fallout. Interestingly, the following day, the Mayor and City Council received this email [archive.is/6CACu]. Referring to me as an enviro-nazi and environmental thug:) I highly expect it came from Pyro Spectaculars, the company responsible for leaving all the debris in the lake last year. Notice the email is from Skyy Painta, it means, painting the sky. The sky painting nights at Chabot need to come to an end.
From: Skyy Painta <email@example.com>
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2015 9:04 AM
To: Mayor Osby Davis; Jesus Cristobal Malgapo; Pippin Dew-Costa; Robert H. McConnell; Katy Miessner; Bob Sampayan; Rozzana Verder-Aliga
Subject: 6 Flags Fireworks
Hello Honorable Mayor and City Council. I just saw a hatchet-job news story regarding the fireworks show at 6 Flags Discovery Kingdom. An environmentalist went around in a canoe picking up bits of debris left over from the 4th of July shows. He decried the pollution and went so far as to call for the cessation of the shooting of fireworks from the lake. The amount of debris he found was negligible.
I implore you to disregard this enviro-nazi's ranting. The vast majority of any debris from fireworks is biodegradable. There has never been any evidence, direct or indirect, the debris has any negative effect on wildlife that inhabits and frequents the lake. Doug Darling (the environmental thug) cannot produce a single fish, bird, mosquito or amoeba that has been negatively impacted. He is using fear, intimidation and misinformation to force his personal agenda on the masses.
A far more hazardous danger is the pollution and runoff from city streets that runs into the lake, but Doug makes no mention of that, because he can't scoop it up and parade it in front of news cameras. Please, I implore you. Do not give in to this environmental blackmail. Keep the centuries-old tradition of a fun, safe fireworks show to celebrate our country's birth at 6 Flags.
Very Sincerely Yours,
* "Tesoro to pay $425 million over air quality violations" (2016-07-19, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/kRsso]: US oil refining group Tesoro Corp. reached a $425 million settlement Monday with the Justice Department and the US Environmental Protection Agency to resolve air quality violations.
Under the agreement, Texas-based Tesoro and Par Hawaii Refining will spend about $403 million to install and operate pollution control equipment at six refineries across the United States.
Tesoro will also spend about $12 million to fund environmental projects in local communities that were impacted by pollution and will pay $10.4 million in civil penalties, the government said.
"This settlement... will benefit the air quality in communities across the Western United States," said John Cruden, assistant attorney general for the Justice Department's Environment and Natural Resources Division.
"It uses cutting-edge technology to address global environmental issues like climate change by controlling flaring and provides important reductions of harmful air pollution in communities facing environmental and health challenges."
Par Hawaii currently operates one of the refineries affected by the settlement and formerly owned by Tesoro.
The company said in a statement that Tesoro is obligated to reimburse it for upgrades to reduce pollution at that facility in Kapolei, Hawaii.
The other refineries covered by the settlement are located in Alaska, California, North Dakota, Utah and the state of Washington.
The Justice Department said the pollution control measures to be put in place at those facilities will reduce emissions, improve air quality and cut the risk of respiratory illnesses for the local populations.
It said the settlement will also reduce greenhouse gas emissions from flaring at the refineries by over 60 percent.
"The advanced technologies Tesoro and Par are required to implement are the future for protecting people from toxic air emissions," said Cynthia Giles, assistant administrator for the EPA's enforcement and compliance assurance.
"This settlement puts new enforcement ideas to work that will dramatically cut pollution and protect communities."
articles recommended by the
NO NUKES! campaign
[StopNuclearDeath.blogspot.com] [nuclear-news.net] [nukeresister.org] [nukefree.org]
* "Florida nuclear plant operator sued for polluting drinking water" (2016-07-15, rt.com) [archive.is/9KqXs]
articles recommended by the
SAN PABLO BAY SOVEREIGNTY Think-tank
* "A battery inspired by vitamins; Research opens a ‘new universe’ of organic molecules that can store energy in flow batteries" (2016-07-18, seas.harvard.edu) [archive.is/LeIN5]
NORTHBAY ENTHEOGENIC FREEDOM
* "How medical marijuana could literally save lives" (2016-07-14, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/AQClK]
* "One striking chart shows why pharma companies are fighting legal marijuana" (2016-07-13, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/hu1tE]
As the medicinal effects of cannabis are broadly accepted, there is also a rise in negative stories concerning the plant as per the international war against cannabis usage, such as the following extremely distasteful example...
* "Human brain stashed by man who soaked marijuana in its embalming fluid" (2016-07-17, rt.com) [archive.is/6wtud]
ANIMAL RIGHTS: Save the Whales!
* "US Navy ordered to protect whales by lowering sonar levels" (2016-07-16, rt.com) [archive.is/vnLCg]
UNITED STATES FASCISM WATCH
Documenting the process of fascism and for whom it benefits. [UnitedStatesFascism.blogspot.com] [exposefacts.org]
* "Oil Spills Are Actually Good For Birds, Fish, And The Economy According To The Oil Industry" (2016-07-15, thinkprogress.org) [archive.is/ir1Rd]
* "Texas Textbook: Mexican Americans Don’t Work ‘Vigorously,’ Want To ‘Destroy’ Society" (2016-07-19, thinkprogress.org) [archive.is/99XXF]
* "Bohemian Grove Employees Get $7 Million In Wage Theft Settlement" (2016-07-05, sfist.com) [archive.is/ZJlQJ]
* "Campout of wealthy and powerful at Bohemian Grove peaks this weekend" (2015-07-17, pressdemocrat.com) [archive.is/pmGf5]
* "Is This Creepy Real-Life Secret Society the Key to True Detective Season 2?" (2015-07-06, vanityfair.com) [archive.is/7XVBK]
* "Moore inviting Sanders to speak outside Grove" (2016-07-13, sonomawest.com) [archive.is/U9go4]
* " ‘Make America First Again’: 5 ways the US leads world you probably won't hear at #RNCinCLE" (2016-07-20, rt.com) [archive.is/dWde7]
USA FASCISM: "Libertarianism & Constitutionalism" to benefit private bureaucracies
* "Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right" (by Jane Mayer) [is.gd/5f5rEZ]
* "Spontaneous Uprising? Corporate Lobbyists Helping To Orchestrate Radical Anti-Obama Tea Party Protests" (2009-04-09, thinkprogress.org) [archive.is/vSn9]
The "magic" of free market fundamentalism:
USA FASCISM: Dominionism & the "Prosperity Gospel"
* "All About FAR RELIGIOUS RIGHT Evangelical Mike Pence (a follower of my dad’s work): Trump’s VP Pick" (2016-07-14, patheos.com) [archive.is/hrgCS]
* "Pat Robertson Hails Donald Trump: 'You Inspire Us All' " (2016-02-24, rightwingwatch.org) [archive.is/f7D0V]
* "An Ultra-Capitalist Christian Sect Is Taking Center Stage At The RNC, Thanks To Donald Trump" (2016-07-14, thinkprogress.org) [is.gd/W1YuuV]
* "Joel Osteen's church theft opens can of worms: Jaws drop as folks do the math" (2014-03-18, Roz Zurko) [archive.is/1LN95]: Joel Osteen recently reported the theft of $600,000 from the safe in his church, but the theft wasn’t the only information of interest revealed. After finding out that this large chunk of money was from just one weekend of Osteen’s collected church donations, jaws dropped around the nation.
According to News Max on March 18, it didn’t take long for folks on the outside to do the math. Based on Osteen’s reported amount of money in this theft, it appears his Lakewood Church takes in $32 million a year. Calculator keys were punched around the nation taking the $600,000 for Olsteen's weekend donation collection and timing this by the 52 weeks in a year.
Many consider this a conservative estimate of donations this church receives, as March is just an average month with no holidays for the church. The spirit of giving around the holidays has to net this church more than the average week. Then there’s Easter and other holidays.
Osteen’s church released a statement at the time of the theft last week saying:
"It is important to note this was not an electronic data breach, but was instead limited to donations made in the services on March 8 and 9, 2014. You were not affected if you put your offering in a drop box, you gave online or through other electronic means, or you made a bookstore purchase."
If you combine the stolen money with what Osteen’s church rakes in “other electronic means” and from the folks who give “online,” this amount must be astronomical. This was an undisclosed amount of money that wasn’t included in the money stolen. Putting all this together you are more than likely talking about a substantial amount of money, much more than the $32 million each year.
With Osteen’s best selling books, his TV work and the tours around the world, Osteen’s church is pulling in much more than the quick estimation of $32 million.
If you think about it, this heist got the sum of money that you’d expect to hear was raked in from a casino heist! It seems that the reported theft of the money in Osteen’s church last week opened a new can of worms. It’s the church's astronomical donations that should really be the headlines here. What happened to the days of the poor boxes filled with change?
* "Stupid Pat Robertson Quotes; The 10 Stupidest Things Pat Robertson Ever Said" (updated 2016-02-15) [archive.is/OxB4V]
USA FASCISM: Military State
* "2nd Annual Integrated Air and Missile Defense; SECURING THE COMPLEX AIR DOMAIN: Requirements for Sustainable, Global and Reliable Solutions to Next Generation Air & Missile Threats", homepage [archive.is/PLCRp], speakers [archive.is/kCgke], resources [archive.is/jzBjx], brochure (.pdf) [is.gd/0C7irp] [begin excerpt]:
Defending the Homeland Through Global Integration – Identifying Requirements for Early, Successful Detect and Defeat [...]
WORKSHOP A: Addressing Developing Threats at Home and Abroad -
Proliferation and development of missile technology abroad has created a complex threat
environment that questions the capacity of our missile defense readiness at home and abroad.
·· Regional Threats to Interests Abroad
·· Identifying Possible Threats to the Homeland
·· Developing Adversarial Technology
Mr. Thomas Karako
Senior Fellow, International Security Program
Center for Strategic and International Studies
- "Understanding the role of IAMD in the Diplomatic Arsenal", by Francis G. Mahon Major General, US Army-Retired. Presented for IDGA's Air & Missile Defense Symposium 28-30 September 2015, (.pdf) [is.gd/dyj4Ci], excerpts:
- "Integrated Air and Missile Defense: Evaluating the Future of Missile Defense in the Asia-Pacific Region and Incorporating Partner Nations into the PACOM AOR" (by Brigadier General Eric Sanchez Commander, 94th Army Air and Missile Defense Command) (.pdf) [is.gd/SRXjlq]
USA FASCISM: Two Party Dictatorship
* "Fracking Tycoon Admits Democrats Better for Business Than GOP; Whether the Democratic Party will continue to support fracking has become a hot-button issue during this year's presidential campaign" (2016-07-20, commondreams.org) [archive.is/AqvYP]
* "They Said What? The 2016 U.S. presidential campaign in blunders" (by David A. Graham) [archive.is/G3aOR]: No election is immune to absurd claims and boneheaded gaffes, but the 2016 presidential race may be the most outrageous in living memory. Can you match these statements to the candidates responsible for them,
- Martin O’Malley: “I think [Bashar al-]Assad’s invasion of Syria will be seen as a blunder.”
- Jeb Bush: “Supergirl is on TV. I saw it when I was working out this morning. There’s an ad promoting Supergirl. She looked kind of—she looked pretty hot.”
- John Kasich: “I don’t have any tickets for Taylor Swift or anything.” (To an 18-year-old college student who raised her hand at a campaign event.)
- Ben Carson: “A lot of people who go into prison go in straight—and when they come out, they’re gay.”
- Hillary Clinton: “Well, I don’t know. That’s what they offered.” (In explaining why this candidate accepted $675,000 in speaking fees from Goldman Sachs)
- Chris Christie: “I’ll beat her rear end on that stage. And you know what? After I do, she’ll be relieved, because she’ll just be worried I was going to serve her with a subpoena.”
- Rick Perry: “A broken clock is right once a day.”
- Donald Trump: “I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose any voters.”
* "This Is How Laura Ingraham Closed Her Republican Convention Speech" (2016-07-20, slate.com) [archive.is/LDa23]
* "#VoiceYourVote: Inside the smoke-filled rooms of the GOP convention" (2016-07-18, rt.com) [archive.is/PxiVS]
* "Day 1: GOP civil war breaks out in Cleveland; Republicans who have yet to fall in line behind Trump find themselves in his campaign's cross hairs" (2016-07-18, politico.com) [archive.is/PcRR4]
* "Mayhem breaks out at RNC after party ignores last-minute attempt to change convention rules" (2016-07-18, rt.com) [archive.is/JmhI9]
* "Convention drama: Trump campaign stops rules rebellion" (2016-07-19, edition.cnn.com) [archive.is/rERt6]
* "False Alarm Bomb Scare at RNC; The situation at the RNC appears to be under control after reports of a possible bomb scare inside the convention hall" (2016-07-18, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/AiSD0]
* "Stephen Colbert crashed the Republican National Convention, insulted Trump, and got escorted off stage" (2016-07-18, qz.com) [archive.is/ZWc3m]
* "GOP Shamelessly Exploits Grieving, Unhinged Mother Of Benghazi Victim" (2016-07-18, crooksandliars.com) [archive.is/g0IOE]
* "The real reasons the GOP convention in Cleveland should unsettle you" (2016-07-19, warontherocks.com) [archive.is/eE6xT]
* "The Republican Party’s White Strategy; Embracing white nativism in the 1990s turned the California GOP into a permanent minority. The same story may now be repeating itself nationally" (2016-07, theatlantic.com) [archive.is/1N1S9]
* "The White Nationalist Strategy That Explains Donald Trump’s Success With Republicans" (2016-03-02, thinkprogress.org) [archive.is/iNY7z]
* "Trump's dangerous white strategy?" (2016-06-07, edition.cnn.com) [archive.is/VfYJB]
* "Prime-Time RNC Speaker Claims Obama Is ‘Absolutely’ A Muslim; 'We had a Muslim president for seven and a half years' " (2016-07-18, huffingtonpost.com) [archive.is/zqTFm]
* "A Sheriff Who Called Black Lives Matter ‘Black Slime’ Is Speaking at the Republican Convention; He proposed adding an assault rifle to the Great Seal of the United States" (2016-07-18, motherjones.com) [archive.is/k6fy3]
* "The Armed Citizens of the Republican Convention" (2016-07-20, theatlantic.com) [is.gd/38fgPl]:
* "Arrests at flag burning in Cleveland" (2016-07-20, rt.com) [archive.is/OBBT7]
* "GOP Platform Proposes To Get Rid Of National Parks And National Forests" (2016-07-15, thinkprogress.org) [archive.is/lz0Ti]
* "The Single Most Radical Line In The Republican Party Platform" (2016-07-19, thinkprogress.org) [archive.is/n1ia2] [begin excerpt]: he Platform devotes seven of its 66 pages to what it calls “A Rebirth of Constitutional Government.” In these seven pages, it seamlessly weaves together some of the most radical ideas offered by modern day libertarian scholars with the rhetoric of Christian conservatism. It’s a neat trick, and one that will doubtless have broad appeal to key segments of the Republican base. Yet, in doing so, it fundamentally rethinks the role of a written Constitution in American society, and offers a distinctly Republican take on the Constitution we actually do have in the process.
The GOP Platform's section on constitutional law begins with a declaration of principles: "That God bestows certain inalienable rights on every individual, thus producing human equality; that government exists first and foremost to protect those inalienable rights; that man-made law must be consistent with God-given, natural rights; and that if God-given, natural, inalienable rights come in conflict with government, court, or human-granted rights God-given, natural, inalienable rights always prevail." [end excerpt]
* "Republicans Want To “Make America Work Again”? That Would Be Real Change" (2016-07-20, ourfuture.org) [archive.is/VgJiX]
"Pornography is men's way of getting the milk without the cow.
Government entitlements are womens' way of getting the milk without the cow.
Both will contribute to the destruction of Western civilization if the trend continues. But simply banning them does not solve the problem. You have to go to the root of the problem, which is that Marxist Critical Theory has striven to systematically sabotage the family unit for almost a century. If getting married were perceived to be preferable, neither would be so pervasive."
- Michael Northcott
* "This Isn't Funny Anymore. American Democracy Is at Stake. Anyone who supports Donald Trump is a traitor to the American idea" (2016-07-18, esquire.com) [archive.is/sXinw] [begin excerpt]: On Wednesday, in several venues, He, Trump accused "some people"—he never said who they were, nor will he, ever—of calling for a moment of silence for Micah Johnson, the mass murderer of police in Dallas, Texas. We have had some experience with this. Back when he was still considered something of a sideshow attraction, He, Trump said that he's "seen" Muslim-Americans in New Jersey celebrating as the World Trade Center towers burned on September 11, 2001. He never said who they were, nor will he, ever. But at least there was a level of detail to the lie. There is in fact a state called New Jersey. There are in fact Muslim-Americans living there. And the attacks of 9/11 did in fact happen.
Emboldened because this and other whopping untruths did not immediately sink his campaign, He, Trump now has taken his truthless palaver to another level entirely. This is what he said on the stump in Indiana on Wednesday, when he was taking auditions for the men who care so little for their country that they are desperate to be on a ticket with a serial arsonist.
"The other night you had 11 cities potentially in a blow-up stage. Marches all over the United States—and tough marches. Anger. Hatred. Hatred! Started by a maniac! And some people ask for a moment of silence for him. For the killer!"
To be blunt, this didn't happen.
There is no evidence from any news source that this happened. By anyone. Anywhere. Nobody can find anyone who "called for a moment of silence" for the mass killer of policemen. Nobody has counted "11 cities" that are potentially on the verge of a racial holy war. RaHoWa, cry the white-supremacists. And now the presumptive Republican presidential nominee has joined the chorus. That's where his rhetoric has led him, and far too many people have followed along. [end excerpt]
* "Trump Jumps To Conclusions Minutes After Nice Attack, Says He Would Declare A World War As President" (2016-07-14, thinkprogress.org) [archive.is/xZ49T]
* "Trump Military Adviser Wants Deceased Iranian Leader To Denounce Nice Attack; Lt. General Michael Flynn called for Ayatollah Khomeini, who died in 1989, to condemn the attack" (2016-07-15, huffingtonpost.com) [archive.is/wP8me]
* "Trump says ‘Hillary invented ISIS,’ speaks on his war plan with ‘few troops on the ground’ " (2016-07-18, rt.com) [archive.is/kYyKA]
* "Melania Trump Apparently Plagiarized a Section of Michelle Obama's 2008 Convention Speech" (2016-07-19, gawker.com) [archive.is/n3c1e]
* "Omarosa Named Trump’s Director of African-American Outreach" (2016-07-18, thedailybeast.com) [archive.is/DR9Lx]
* " ‘We’ve taken over the right’: Gay Trump fans and neo-Nazis bond at RNC over mutual hatred of Muslims" (2016-07-20, rawstory.com) [archive.is/VK5Ps] [begin excerpt]: “[Liberals] have done nothing for gays,” he said. “While you were busy hectoring and bullying and nannying us about transgender pronouns, you completely forgot that politicians in this country were welcoming in a religion that wants us dead.” [end excerpt] .... there's probably more registered Republicans that want him dead than Muslims in America. Opportunistically joining a bandwagon simply based on mutual hatred for a different minority is stupid and will likely backfire.
Photo caption: Milo Yiannopoulos addresses a 'Gays for Trump' party in Cleveland
* "Trump-Pence's penetrating new logo is for the birds... and the bees" (2016-07-15, rt.com) [archive.is/oW9fS]
* "Trump-Pence" campaign logo is an embarrassment, see why at [archive.is/FDl9i], animated (.gif) [archive.is/cIwgF]. Also, for "Holy rollers" [archive.is/zMbRX].
* (2016-07-15, twitter.com/Olivianuzzi) [archive.is/KvSA6]:
On the left, the Aryan Nations logo.
On the right, the Trump Pence logo.
* "The Myth Of Mike Pence" (2016-07-14, thinkprogress.org) [archive.is/kAyCU]
* "People are freaking out over a spooky photo of Mike Pence’s family" (2016-07-17, rt.com) [archive.is/3StGX]: Donald Trump’s running mate, Mike Pence, inadvertently created an internet frenzy when he posted a picture of his family on Twitter that some have taken as evidence that his daughter is vampire – or even a ghost.
Pence shared what initially appeared to be a normal photo of his family enjoying a meal while on the campaign trail in New York – only there was something very strange about it.
His daughter Charlotte appears to make no reflection in the mirror behind them.
Pence and his wife Karen’s reflections can both be seen, but Charlotte’s is non-existent.
While the non-existent reflection could be explained as a visual trick, and his daughter is small, her curly hair can’t be seen in the reflection either.
One possible explanation given was that she was photoshopped into the image.
Other people were more concerned about the boy in red that can be seen in the reflection, but not at the table.
While the mystery of Pence’s ghost/vampire daughter was debated online, many others were more upset by the Indiana governor’s choice of restaurant – Chili’s – which is a restaurant chain.
Original image as released [archive.is/XmgQ4], and an altered version [archive.is/mGyn2] placing Donald Trump in the place at the table where the Pence family daughter is supposed to be.
* "Here are some of the weirdest columns Mike Pence wrote in the ’90s" (2016-07-14, fusion.net) [archive.is/F74Bv]
* "Pence once cited 'Mulan' as proof women don't belong in military" (2016-07-17, thehill.com) [archive.is/YRVWF]
* "Mike Pence, Cigarette Truther" (2016-07-14, thinkprogress.org) [archive.is/JqgMD]:
Over his political career Gov. Mike Pence (R-IN) has consistently carried the tobacco industry’s water, denying the dangers of cigarettes, opposing government regulation, and slashing smoking cessation efforts. In return, they rewarded him with more than $100,000 in campaign donations.
In 2000, Gov. Mike Pence (R-IN), then running for an open U.S. House seat, came out [archive.is/BbO2K] against a proposed settlement between government and the tobacco industry, calling it “big government.” In a shocking editorial, he wrote [archive.is/kbxZl]: “Time for a quick reality check. Despite the hysteria from the political class and the media, smoking doesn’t kill.” Pence acknowledged that smoking is not “good for you,” but claimed that two-thirds of smokers do not die from smoking related illness and “9 out of ten smokers do not contract lung cancer.” He warned of a slippery-slope in which government would soon seek to discourage fatty foods, caffeine, and SUVs.
In a debate that September [archive.is/TdNiT], his Democratic opponent pressed him on the suggestion that smoking does not cause cancer and noted his contributions from tobacco companies. According to the Indianapolis Star’s coverage of the exchange, “Pence clarified that he wrote that there was no causal link medically identifying smoking as causing lung cancer.” While cigarette manufacturers might have been still claiming that there was not causal link between smoking and lung cancer, medical science had settled the question years earlier. A landmark report by the U.S. Surgeon General had documented the link — in 1964 [archive.is/HrM6U].
After the debate, the paper reported, Pence acknowledged he had received an estimated $5,000 and $10,000 in contributions from tobacco companies. His actual total was already at least $13,000 in contributions from the political action committees for Brown & Williamson, Philip Morris, R.J. Reynolds, and US Tobacco, according to Political MoneyLine data reviewed by ThinkProgress. A May 2000 letter from the Reynolds PAC to Pence, now available in the Truth Tobacco Industry Documents archive archives, conveyed a $1,000 check and praised his “position on issues important to our company.” [...]
And Indiana’s public health has paid the price. In 2015, Pence signed a law making it easier to create cigar bars in the state [archive.is/XwU9i]. And his administration slashed the already small amount of the tobacco tax and settlement money available for smoking prevention and cessation in 2013 [archive.is/hEdqP], well below the CDC’s recommended levels. According to the Indianapolis Business Journal, “Funding for Indiana Tobacco Prevention and Cessation was down to $8 million per year when Pence took office in January 2013. And within his first week, the Pence administration slashed the agency’s budget to $5 million.”
Indiana now has the highest adult smoking rates of any state in the industrial midwest region [archive.is/bSNR] and the seventh highest smoking rate in the nation [archive.is/t99y9]. With among the lowest tobacco taxes of any state, public health experts warn the state is “really in bad shape” [archive.is/9J8dg]. Indeed a 2014 article noted that 17 percent of pregnant women smoke — nearly double the national average — and this has been linked to lower birth weights and higher rates of infant mortality. As a result, it noted, “the state spends $28 million a year on health costs for infants born to mothers who smoke.”
Pence rejected a plan put forth by his fellow Republicans in the state legislature in February [archive.is/Pj6Rn] that would have raised the state cigarette tax by 5 cents a pack to fund transportation, saying “I’m very confident that we can meet the needs that Indiana has over the next four years to improve our roads and bridges without raising taxes.” [end excerpt]
* "Hillary as President would be Catastrophic for the US and the World" (2016-03-04, journal-neo.org) [archive.is/LXpyf]
* (2016-07-15) [archive.is/mGvAn]: Salafist jihadists and drug and human organ traffickers for Hillary! #ImWithHer. That's her husband Bill up there on the pedestal. They also recently installed a bust of her, as well!
* "California certifies low primary turnout, Clinton victory" (2016-07-15, AP Newswire) [archive.is/kHxFG] [begin excerpt]: California Secretary of State Alex Padilla certified Friday that more than 8.5 million people, or 47.7 percent of registered voters, participated in the June primary, and that Hillary Clinton decisively won the state's Democratic race.
Turnout just surpassed the 47.5 percent of California's 1992 primary — the lowest participation rate of the four presidential primaries without an incumbent in at least the last quarter century, according to the secretary of state's office.
The historically low participation didn't match record-high voter registration, but it beat forecasts of an even lower turnout. Still, election experts had held out hope that a contested Democratic primary, although winding down, would draw enough new voters in the liberal state to further exceed expectations.
"Considering all the election hype and media coverage and money and the fact that Clinton and Bernie Sanders had rallied across the state, you could have argued that we'd see more," said Mindy Romero, director of the California Civic Engagement Project at the University of California, Davis. She noted that the number only accounts for about 34 percent of California's eligible voters. [end excerpt]
* "The Political Party Bernie Sanders Helped Found Isn't into Him Anymore" (2016-03-01, vice.com) [archive.is/kuNql]
* "A Former Ally Says Bernie Sanders Has Changed" (2015-07-29, sevendaysvt.com) [archive.is/Y163L] [begin excerpt]: Diamondstone did admit feeling annoyance that Sanders gets credit, in Vermont and nationally, for an unwavering dedication to his beliefs — as the guy who has been saying the same thing for years, no matter how unpopular.
If that were true, Diamondstone said, Sanders' career would look an awful lot like ... Diamondstone's. He views Sanders as just another sellout who moderated his image and compromised his beliefs to win elections.
"He's a different political person than he was in the good old days," Diamondstone said. "It's changed, big time. It's two different people." [end excerpt]
* "Sanders and Warren Embrace Hillary Clinton -- Why This Should Come As No Surprise" (2016-07-20, laborfightback.org): During the primary season, Elizabeth Warren declined to endorse Bernie Sanders, despite their presumed similarity of views. Instead, she has now enthusiastically endorsed Hillary Clinton. What is instructive about this is that in 2001 Warren sharply criticized Hillary Clinton for her position on the then-pending bankruptcy bill.
Clinton affirmed not long ago that she never "changed a view or a vote because of any donation that I ever received" (Hillary Clinton, in the fifth Democratic debate, Feb. 4, 2016). Moments after the former Secretary of State (and N.Y. Senator) made this statement, the Bernie Sanders campaign issued a news release titled, "Elizabeth Warren on How Wall Street Has Influenced Hillary Clinton."
The news release recounted how Sen. Warren (D-Mass.), in a 2003 book, blamed campaign contributions from banking interests for why Clinton flipped from being opposed to an overhaul of bankruptcy laws as First Lady -- calling it "awful"-- to voting to advance the bill as a freshman Senator.
Warren noted that Clinton had received $140,000 in campaign contributions from banking industry executives as she sought a Senate seat. "Big banks were now part of Senator Clinton's constituency. She wanted their support, and they wanted hers --including a vote in favor of 'that awful bill,'" Warren wrote.
But this is not all. Warren has been a staunch opponent of the Trans-Pacific Partnership treaty, one of whose main architects was then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton (who is now calling for some cosmetic changes to TPP to allow her to parade as a critic of the treaty).
Warren was one of 38 U.S. Senators who voted against a bill that would allow the President to "fast track" the TPP. She said that "the deal [TPP] makes things even worse and even more dangerous for America's hardest-working families . . . as it would tilt the playing field even more in favor of a big multinational corporations and against working families."
Not surprisingly, Warren has had to downplay, if not put behind her altogether, her opposition to TPP as she jumps on the Hillary Clinton bandwagon.
As for Sanders, during the recently concluded primary season, he pilloried Clinton for several months for her Wall Street connections and the massive financial contributions she received from big corporations. But like Warren, he has endorsed Clinton.
Sanders received 13 million votes during the primary campaign and inspired a large part of the young generation, among others. But now he is encouraging supporters to embrace Clinton, as he has done. When Jill Stein and the Greens publicly invited him to join with them in an independent campaign, with Sanders heading up the ticket, he spurned the invitation, failing to even acknowledge it.
What We Can Learn From This Experience -
The Labor Fightback Network believes that there is no basis for depending on would-be reformers of the Democratic Party. That party is owned, operated, and tightly controlled by Big Money -- and efforts to change its character is an exercise in futility.
Today there are vibrant and significant social movements that are in the forefront in the struggle for progressive change, such as Black Lives Matter, immigrant rights, climate change, opposition to mass incarceration, single payer health care, LGBTQ rights, environmental protections, end fracking, and others.
Unfortunately, the labor movement for the most part remains on the sidelines with regard to these struggles. While labor has been waging a vigorous campaign against the TPP, it remains preoccupied with electing Democrats, as if that is the way forward. But even here, it is stymied, as we can see by the Democratic Party's Platform Committee's failure to take a stand against the TPP. So why should labor continue to support such a party or even be part of it?
We again urge transition steps to forming a party of our own. As we wrote previously:
"It is high time for labor to challenge the monopoly that Big Business exercises in the electoral arena. To be sure, this requires the spearheading of a coalition with its community allies. Labor could be a magnetic force in helping to unite tens of millions in support of a program that reflects the needs of workers, communities of color, youth, environmentalists, and other progressive forces.
"For the above reasons, the Labor Fightback Network urges the formation of independent labor-community coalitions in cities and states around the country based on a program collectively decided. Such coalitions, functioning democratically, could serve as building blocks for a national party, which is indispensable, and in the meanwhile run its own candidates to challenge the status quo. The alternative is despair, dissolution, and irrelevance.
"Labor's failure to seize this rare moment will mean a continuation of the old politics, which has led to a deepening of multiple crises: unending imperialist wars, as in Afghanistan; the escalation of gunning down unarmed people of color on our streets by cops out of control; social programs under attack by both parties; massive unemployment and under-employment; mass incarceration; runaway military spending; the further poisoning of our environment; 50 million people living in poverty while 2/3 of all corporations pay no income taxes; upending assaults on abortion rights (despite the recent Supreme Court decision); climate change and more fracking."
If you agree with the above perspective, please let us know by calling 973-975-9704; writing PO box 187, Flanders, N.J. 07836; emailing conference @labor fightback.org; or visiting our website at laborfightback.org. Facebook link https://www.facebook.com/laborfightback
* "Loyal Sanders supporter gets hustled at Clinton endorsement rally" (2016-07-14, rt.com) [archive.is/dxVJd] [begin excerpt]: n an incident captured on video, a Bernie Sanders supporter attending the announced endorsement of Hillary Clinton in New Hampshire was jostled by a security guard every time she held aloft her “Bernie” sign.
The video, shot from Senator Sanders’ endorsement of Hillary Clinton event on Tuesday, was posted on Facebook with the caption: “A Democratic Party goon attacking a sign held up by a Bernie supporter at the event in Portsmouth, NH today.”
The account belongs to David Victor Feldman, an associate professor of mathematics at the University of New Hampshire. The post received over 569 likes or reactions, over 2,000 shares, and more than 90 comments by Wednesday evening.
The almost 3-minute video opens with Sanders standing next to Hillary Clinton, stating, “[She] will be the next president” to huge applause.
Off camera at the 23-second mark, a woman is heard yelling, “Stop that! Stop that!” which draws Clinton’s gaze in her direction. The camera swings back and to the left to show a man dressed in a suit, presumably a security guard. Off to his left are two women who look upset.
As Sanders continues to speak, one of the women holds up her sign, which reads, “Bernie for president,” and it is clear the guard is trying to stop her from holding it up. After several attempts to stop the sign from being held up, the guard chases the woman around another supporter, repeatedly trying to grab the sign. [end excerpt]
#jill2016 #itsinourhands #thewomancard
* "Green Party's Jill Stein to Sanders fans: 'There's a plan B here' " (2016-06-22, edition.cnn.com) [archive.is/fXza8]
* "#Demexit: US Democrats Reject Clinton, Switch to Stein; Sanders' endorsement of Clinton has triggered an exodus from the Democratic Party as many say they will now vote Green" (2016-06-15, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/U6kXg]
* "Jill Stein Would Pardon Snowden, Give Him Top Govt Job; The Green party candidate’s opinion on Snowden is this year’s most progressive" (2016-07-14, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/dSe9K]
USA FASCISM: Artificial Poverty and Starvation
* "81% of US households experienced 'flat' or 'falling' incomes over past decade – research" (2016-07-14, rt.com) [archive.is/0oLY5]
* "Coburn: Medicare and Social Security ‘are things we don’t absolutely need’ " (2012-12-09, rawstory.com) [archive.is/A99s6]
* "Starbucks Employees Aren’t Happy About Their Coming Raises" (2016-07-13, thinkprogress.org) [archive.is/YnUX1]
WORLD FASCISM WATCH
Documenting the global economic dictatorship
This is capitalism.
* "Scottish shell firms used to launder money in E. Europe with govt certificates" (2016-07-18, rt.com) [archive.is/GoxXN]
So...Beyoncé pays her sweatshop workers 44p/hr for her #IvyPark range whilst preaching empowerment?
* "How Beyonce’s ‘Ivy Park’ Label Should Solve Sweatshop Scandal: Switch Suppliers" (2016-05-26, huffingtonpost.com) [archive.is/4O2fm]
* "Workers earn as little as £4.30 a day making Beyonce's clothing line" (2016-05-17, uk.businessinsider.com) [archive.is/pYZxA]
* "The Un-PC Truth About Beyonce’s ‘Sweatshop’ ; Outrage at the conditions endured by workers at the Indian factory making Beyoncé’s clothing line ignores more complex truths about the local economy" (2016-05-21, thedailybeast.com) [archive.is/m9JzR]
* "Beyoncé’s ‘Sweatshops’ Do More For The World’s Poor Than You Ever Will; Tight-fitting, overpriced celebrity clothing lines will help crush poverty" (2016-05-18, thefederalist.com) [archive.is/7U0Gn]
* "Beyoncé’s ‘Sweatshops’ Help the Poor" (2016-05-20, nationalreview.com) [archive.is/T5G34]
WORLD FASCISM WATCH: #OPDeathEaters
A study of the personal ideologies and social practices of those who benefit from the global capitalist regime. [WorldFascists.blogspot.com]
Disney Corp. land has been rumoured, since when Disneyland was first opened, to be operating as a child-kidnapping operation.
* "Child porn sting nabs elementary teacher, Disney employees" (2016-07-14, rt.com) [archive.is/P6DFM]
* "Sex abuse cover-up: Ex-Archbishop accused of failing to act" (2016-07-18, rt.com) [archive.is/xKwNT]
information collected by the
SOLANO PEACE, JUSTICE, AND FREEDOM COALITION
[SolanoPeaceJustice.blogspot.com], for justice, dignity and human rights in accordance with the 1966 International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (.pdf) [is.gd/TftqGs], and an end to the USA's endless wars, in harmony with Principle 1 & 6 of International Law [archive.is/tmncz], the 5 protocols of the Convention on Conventional Weapons (CCW) [archive.is/LhUTj], and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights [archive.is/U1Ota].
* "MH17 downing anniversary: Two years of accusations & few facts" (2016-07-17, rt.com) [archive.is/WHjvZ]
* (2016-07-17) [archive.is/8kLKI]: Today is the second anniversary of the Malaysian mh17 tragedy. This picture created by the German painter Amely Rose describes what happened that day. #mh17
* "Ukrainian military escorted B777 until 3 minutes before disappearing; Ukraine air traffic controller suggests Kiev military shot down passenger plane" (2014-07-17, eturbonews.com) [archive.is/IAgOG]
Inconsistencies in the narrative include the retrieval of invalidated passports from the Netherlands out of the wreckage, which were presented to the media as "valid". Photo [archive.is/eh0Kw].
* "40 arrested in Brussels after protesters attack TTIP negotiators – with confetti" (2016-07-14, rt.com) [archive.is/j4RoD]
* "Blair justified Iraq War with ‘discredited’ child mortality data" (2016-07-14, rt.com) [archive.is/9lwdl]
Despite the truth about the events of 2001-09-11 demolition of the Twin Towers in New York, for the purpose of propaganda, the USA State Dept. and Dept. of War used the incident as apretext to attack other governments. The pretext is so malleable, a USA Federal Court even found the Islamic Republic of Iran to be to blame for the demolition... although it is now a retracted finding.
* "US Court Reverses Order to Sell Iranian Assets to Compensate 9/11 Victims; The Second Circuit Court of Appeals did not address the fact that Iran has no immediate connection to the worst attack on US soil in history, but rather ruled that the properties seized by authorities may not actually belong to Iran" (2016-07-20, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/GnraB]
* "Hague Tribunal Exonerates Slobodan Milosevic for Bosnia War Crimes Ten Years Too Late; The UN war crimes tribunal has determined that the late Serbian president was not responsible for war crimes committed in Bosnia during the 1992-95 war. The judges determined that Slobodan Milosevic was not part of a "joint criminal enterprise" to victimize Bosnian Muslims and Croats" (2016-07-18, slobodan-milosevic.org) [archive.is/8CtVk] [begin excerpt]: It’s worth recalling that Slobodan Milosevic died under a very suspicious set of circumstances. He died of a heart attack just two weeks after the Tribunal denied his request to undergo heart surgery in Russia. He was found dead in his cell less than 72 hours after his attorney delivered a letter to the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in which he said that he feared he was being poisoned.
The Tribunal’s official report on the inquiry into his death confirmed that, “Rifampicin had been found in a blood sample taken from Mr. Milosevic on 12 January 2006.” And that “Mr. Milosevic was not told of the results until 3 March 2006 because of the difficult legal position in which Dr. Falke (the Tribunal’s chief medical officer) found himself by virtue of the Dutch legal provisions concerning medical confidentiality.”
The presence of Rifamicin (a non-prescribed drug) in Milosevic’s blood would have counteracted the high blood pressure medication he was taking and increased his risk of the heart attack that ultimately did kill him. The Tribunal’s admission that they knew about the Rifampicin for months, but didn’t tell Milosevic the results of his own blood test until just days before his death because of “Dutch legal provisions concerning medical confidentiality” is an incredibly lame and disingenuous excuse. There is no provision of Dutch law that prohibits a doctor from telling the patient the results of his own blood test -- that would be idiotic. On the contrary, concealing such information from the patient could be seen as malpractice.
This all gives rise to well-founded suspicion that powerful geopolitical interests would rather Milosevic die before the end of his trial than see him acquitted and have their vicious lies exposed. U.S. State Department cables leaked to Wikileaks confirm that The Tribunal did discuss Milosevic’s medical condition and his medical records with U.S. Embassy personnel in The Hague without his consent. They clearly didn’t care about medical confidentiality laws when they were blabbing about his medical records to the American embassy.
It’s an unsatisfying outcome that Milosevic has been quietly vindicated for the most serious crimes that he was accused of some ten years after his death. At a minimum financial compensation should now be paid to his widow and his children, and reparations should be paid to Serbia by the western governments who sought to punish Serbia in order to hold Milosevic “accountable” for crimes that their own Tribunal now admits he wasn’t responsible for, and was in fact trying to stop. [end excerpt]
The International Olympics Committee, established as an apolitical instrument of peace, is now a pawn in the new Cold War against the Federation of Russia...
* "Independence at stake: Will IOC cave to US & Canadian pressure on Russia doping scandal?" (2016-07-17, rt.com) [archive.is/zDimQ]
* "Isinbayeva: IAAF is ‘under orders’ to keep Russia out of Olympics" (2016-07-17, rt.com) [archive.is/GS84R]
* " 'Shocked & concerned': European Olympic Committee chief slams USADA letter on Russian team to WADA" (2016-07-17, rt.com) [archive.is/T0xlT]
* " ‘No time to ask Russia's opinion, I had enough evidence anyway’ – WADA doping report author to RT" (2016-07-18, rt.com) [archive.is/smYtH]
* "Doping scandal: WADA demands Olympic ban on Russian athletes after report" (2016-07-18, rt.com) [archive.is/zYkCU]
* "WADA urges banning Russian athletes from all international events, including Rio Olympics" (2016-07-18, rt.com) [archive.is/Gw1Lq]
* "Aspiring filmmaker? MSM reports on Russian ‘doping scandal’ as exercise in creative writing" (2016-07-18, rt.com) [archive.is/B5p7o]
* "Patriarch al-Rahi calls on international community to put an end to wars in Syria, Iraq and Palestine" (2016-07-12, sana.sy) [archive.is/eDDOZ]: Maronite Patriarch Cardinal Mar Bechara Boutros al-Rahi called on the international community to put an end to wars and terrorist acts in Syria, Iraq and Palestine and to find a political solution for just, comprehensive and lasting peace in the region.
Al- Rahi, meeting French Foreign Minister Jean- Marc Ayrault in Beirut on Tuesday, stressed the need for offering guarantees to the displaced
citizens of the countries in the region to return home due to the terrorist acts in their areas including Christians and Muslims alike who were forced to leave their homes.
Weapons for a New World Order
* "Self-driving ‘drone’ trucks trialed by British army to supply frontlines" (2016-07-14, rt.com) [archive.is/pspIP]
* "Scientists Glimpse Inner Workings of Atomically Thin Transistors" (2016-07-18, news.utexas.edu) [archive.is/kyJn2]
* "Scientists move one step closer to creating an invisibility cloak; Scientists at Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) have made an object disappear by using a material with nano-size particles that can enhance specific properties on the object’s surface" (2016-07-15, qmul.ac.uk) [archive.is/vANDG]
* "3D printer helps scientists scale up nanostructures" (2016-07-18, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/mvzBN]: Nanostructures are prized for their seemingly infinite material qualities, whether mechanical, chemical, electrical or optical.
But scientists have struggled to scale up promising nanostructures without sacrificing their uniformity and the qualities that made them desirable in the first place.
Researchers at Virginia Tech believe they've begun to solve this problem by developing a technique for scaling up nanostructure materials using a 3D printer.
The new printing process creates multi-leveled hierarchical lattices with nanoscale features. The metallic nanostructured materials maintain their impressive strength, while gaining improved flexibility and elasticity.
Multi-leveled hierarchical structures describe structural patterns which are mirrored at various scales within a single material.
"Creating 3D hierarchical micro features across the entire seven orders of magnitude in structural bandwidth in products is unprecedented," lead researcher Xiaoyu "Rayne" Zheng, an assistant professor of mechanical engineering at Virginia Tech, said in a news release. "Assembling nanoscale features into billets of materials through multi-leveled 3D architectures, you begin to see a variety of programmed mechanical properties such as minimal weight, maximum strength and super elasticity at centimeter scales."
Researchers believe their printing process can yield materials with applications in the aerospace, military and automotive industries.
"The increased elasticity and flexibility obtained through the new process and design come without incorporating soft polymers, thereby making the metallic materials suitable as flexible sensors and electronics in harsh environments, where chemical and temperature resistance are required," Zheng said.
The new printing process also increased the surface area of nanosctructures within the multi-leveled hierarchical lattice, thereby amplifying optical and electrical properties.
Northbay Uprising FM Radio News is broadcast courtesy of 89.5 FM-KZCT [OzcatRadio.com]
On Ozcat Radio, tune-in online [is.gd/kJ1EUt] for:
- The Stranger News, broadcast Thursdays, 5 to 5:30pm, featuring latest news on science, technology, space, and cutting-edge research on the mind, world history, and entheogenics!
- The Northbay UpRising Morningshow, broadcast Tuesdays, 7 to 9am, with local news, and topics on Peace, the Ecology, Do-It-Yourself ideas, and Communitarianism!
- KBBF Weekly News, broadcast Tuesdays at 8:45pm, on the Northbay UpRising morningshow!
- The Ozcat Roundtable, a topical news program broadcast Wednesdays, 3 to 6pm, with hosts Billy I. (pictured), Jeremy, and the Nomad!
Also tune-in to these other radio shows!
* KZFR Peace and Social Justice Show