Tune in Thursdays 4 to 5pm (PST), at 89.5FM in the northeast San Pablo Bay Area, or online at [is.gd/kJ1EUt].
Hosted by Dr.G., Minister of Information of the Bay Area Movement for a People's Democracy (MPD)[peoplesdemocracybayarea.blogspot.com].
Be a Community Journalist with our Community Journalist's Notebook [link]. Send news & info to [PeoplesDemocracyBayArea@) gmail.com].
Archived webpages at (archive.org) and at (archive.is) are available even if the original is taken down. News links are provided for educational purposes only, and do not constitute an endorsement of political tendencies, or, of foreign governments. Circumvent "Error 451" [archive.is/WOZXx] by using the proxy server at [webproxy.to] or, by using Tor Browser [is.gd/r18EVD].
A list of gatherings, workshops, and educational events in the greater Bay Area region
March for Oscar Lopez Rivera
January 6th - Oakland
President Obama has only 3 weeks left to grant clemency to Oscar Lopez Rivera! All Out for Oscar!
Friday, January 6th 4:30- 6 PM, at Lakeview Library (near Lake Merritt), 550 El Embarcadero, Oakland.
March to corner of Grand (Opposite Grand Lake Theater) at 5:00 PM.
Puerto Rican Political Prisoner Oscar Lopez Rivera has been imprisoned for almost 36 years for the charge of seditious conspiracy. The only legal remedy to release him is a presidential commutation.
All sectors of Puerto Rican society, Nobel laureates, Latin American leaders, Former President Carter and Senator Bernie Sanders have all called for his release.
Let's celebrate Oscar's 74th birthday on January 6 by joining the hundred thousand who petitioned the White House and demand: FREE OSCAR LOPEZ RIVERA NOW!
For more information, go to: [boricuahumanrights.org]
Women's March Bay Area
Saturday, January 21
4:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Location: San Francisco: 4:00-6:00 Rally at Civic Center, followed by 6:00-9:00 Candlelight march To Chelsea Manning Plaza (previously Justin Hermann Plaza)
Event page [womensmarchbayarea.org], [archive.is/S7MQK]
The Women’s March is a national movement to unite everyone who stands for human rights, civil liberties, and social justice. There will be marches in D.C. and around the country, including in Oakland, San Francisco, and San Jose and other communities/towns/cities in the Bay Area.
Stories are reviewed and provided by Bay Area MPD Committees and Affiliates
BAY AREA SOLIDARITY
Updates on campaigns for Peace, Justice, & Freedom across the greater Bay Area, Norcal, and Socal
* "Direct Action Spokescouncil: Reclaiming King's Legacy in the Age of Trump" (2016-12-27, by APTP) [archive.is/GKkv3], intro: A Bay Area-wide spokescouncil is currently planning and coordinating actions for the upcoming Martin Luther King Day on January 16 through to the inauguration of Donald Trump on January 20. A diverse coalition will engage in #120Hours of direct action, coalition building, and campaign launching against white supremacy. Let's carry forward and amplify the struggle, together!
* "Sogorea Te Land Trust and Sacred Sites Work" (2016-12-31): As we end this year, the Sogorea Te Land Trust would like to thank you for your support of our work and we also want to tell you about the important work that we have embarked on this past year. We participated in an Indigenous Womens Gathering in Guatemala and we were instrumental in creating recommendations on the rights of Indigenous women for the UN. We have been working side-by-side with Indian People Organizing for Change (IPOC) in supporting the various Bay Area support networks to stop the expansion of the DAPL Pipeline and we worked with the Winnimum Wintu to host the first Salmon Ceremony at Sogorea Te. This sacred ceremony was revived after 200 years. Furthermore, we have done numerous public presentations throughout the Bay Area on the work we are doing to protect sacred sites and to collectively dream of a new Bay Area that is our goal with the Land Trust.
We look forward to continuing to work together to make this dream come true.
- If you would like to make a donation to our legal fund and campaign, please click here. [crowdrise.com/save-the-west-berkeley-shellmound].
Your Shuumi/Gift helps with creating an infrastructure for the Land Trust. If you have not yet donated to this project, we ask you for your financial support especially as this year comes to an end. Thank you for being part of this journey.
- Here is our website [sogoreate-landtrust.org].
- For more info on the fight to save the West Berkeley Shellmound visit:
- For more info on shellmounds visit:
- Please watch and share this short video about the West Berkeley Shellmound, made by Michelle Grace Steinberg and featuring Corrina Gould: [vimeo.com/195085748].
#OhloneSacredSites #ProtectandPreserve #WestBerkeleyShellmound
Upcoming Campaign Dates:
- January 5th- 7pm Public Commenting at Landmarks Preservation Commission, about West Berkeley Shellmound. North Berkeley Senior Center. Please come and fill up the room
- January 8th - 1-3pm Interfaith Prayer Vigil at West Berkeley Shellmound. Please come and lay down prayers for the site and the new year.
- January 12th is the last day of verbal public commenting. Please help us and come out and
Tell the Berkeley Zoning board that the West Berkeley shellmound is a "no desecration zone!" Speak up for the oldest shellmound in the Bay Area and for the Ohlone ancestors.
The City must receive all written comments regarding the adequacy of the Draft EIR by February 9th 5pm. Written comments may be submitted in person, by mail or by e-mail. The mailing address is 1947 Center Street, 2nd Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704.
- The Environmental Impact Report can be found here [archive.is/Pc8Y8].
Thursday, February 2, 7:30 - 9:30 PM
Refinery Town: Big Oil, Big Money & the Remaking of Richmond, CA
First Congregational Church of Oakland, 2501 Harrison, Oakland
Author Steve Early discusses his great new book, "Refinery Town: Big Oil, Big Money, and the Remaking of an American City" with former Richmond mayor Gayle McLaughlin and activist Andrés Soto in this KPFA event, co-sponsored by 22 non-profit organizations.
"Refinery Town" is based on one city's experience, but it reflects the lessons of grassroots organizing elsewhere...This timely book offers ideas and inspiration for making change where it counts the most--among friends, neighbors, and fellow community members." - Senator Bernie Sanders
Labor Activist Steve Early documents how a largely non-white working class community of 110,000 people spawned a vibrant culture of resistance to corporate power after more than a century of political dominance by the Chevron Corporation.
* Peaceful Action, Newsletter of the Chico Peace and Justice Center (2017-01-01) [archive.is/Nh4et]
* "Retired Army Colonel Says Her Social Security Checks Were Garnished to 'Curtail Dissent' ; Ann Wright says she was hit with retaliation after protesting at a U.S. drone base" (2016-12-23, alternet.org) [archive.is/8MRB0]
* "Attempting to Curtail Dissent of Seniors by Stopping Social Security Checks" (2016-12-10, by Ann Wright) [archive.is/QI8WB]
* "Injured in the Oakland Ghost Ship Fire, Peaches Needs Your Help" (2016-12-31, via Indybay.org) [archive.is/ro8p0], intro: Long-time Bay Area comrade, collective member, friend, and all 'round nice guy Peaches' was critically injured in the Ghost Ship fire. He escaped the fire, but with life-threatening burns to his lungs and esophagus from smoke inhalation. He has been hospitalized since the fire and his prognosis is looking better, but expenses are piling up and recovery will be a long road. Please, donate to his medical fund, as much as you can [is.gd/UxoSOT].
* "Avenge The Ghost Ship: Remembering Denalda: A brief statement and film in memory of our beloved Denalda" (2016-12-29, by The Cinema Committee, via Indybay.org Newswire) [archive.is/3yoXG]
BAY AREA SOLIDARITY: Updates on campaigns across the Nation!
* "Do's and don’ts for bystander intervention" (2016-12-24, afsc.org) [archive.is/lc9Nb]
(.pdf) [is.gd/UgGdrm], summary: This handout offers tips for how to intervene in public instances of racist, anti-Black, anti-Muslim, anti-Trans, and other forms of oppressive interpersonal violence and harassment while considering the safety of all parties.Clearly, this is only a start. We hope it can be one tool on the way towards building strong communities that resist institutionalized racism and state violence.
* "Neo-Nazis Exploit Oakland's Tragedy to Target Activist Hubs and DIY Venues Nationwide" (2016-12-27, truth-out.org) [is.gd/ixS9Ws]
* "San Francisco X Mess Warehouse Eviction Resistance" (2016-12-24, by Michael Steinberg, Black Rain Press) [archive.is/1aPI3]
* "West Oakland’s Qilombo Loses Lease After Ghost Ship Fire; Oakland’s red-tagging not providing incentive to ask for safety inspections, say community members" (2016-12-23, postnewsgroup.com) [archive.is/My5Ie] [begin excerpt]: Since the Oakland warehouse fire that claimed 36 lives earlier this month, the city has seen a rash of landlord panic and opportunism, according to community members who have seen the number of unannounced fire inspections from city officials spike, putting several homes and community centers at risk of being shut down.
Qilombo, a radical community social center in the heart of West Oakland’s Afrikatown, is one of the latest spaces to be impacted by the rise of code enforcement complaints, which has threatened to board up its services.
According to Qilombo’s organizers, the property’s management company—SCM East Bay—had renewed their monthly lease but reversed its decision a few days after the Ghost Ship fire.
The center then had a surprise inspection last week that resulted in a “cease and desist” order for all public events.
The move is a renewed attempt by SMC East Bay to remove the community center from the property, a battle that Qilombo has dealt with in the past, said Van Dell, Qilombo’s operations manager. [end excerpt]
* "NAACP to Protest Across Alabama on January 3; NAACP President Cornell William Brooks to Join Protests at Sessions' Mobile, AL Office; Protests at Five Sessions Offices in Alabama Scheduled" (2016-12-30, naacp.org) [archive.is/R6hqU]
* "US Police Arrest NAACP Sit-in Protesters Against Trump's Attorney General Pick; Six African-American activists have been detained after staging a sit-in against US President-elect Donald Trump's controversial nomination of Jeff Sessions for the post of the next US Attorney General" (2017-01-04, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/cGg29]
* "Calls for NC Boycott In Wake of Anti-Democratic GOP Maneuvers; 'If such a blatant abuse of power goes unchallenged by people of good will, these legislators will do more than wipe away the rights of millions of North Carolinians; they will spread the virus of injustice throughout the body politic of the entire nation' " (2016-12-30, commondreams.org) [archive.is/P0Xpw]
* "A Call For The Economic Boycott Of North Carolina; The GOP efforts to undermine the very foundation of government cannot be tolerated" (2016-12-30, by Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II) [archive.is/fEhOS]
* "6 Lessons Learned Fighting Oppressive Regimes While Trying to Protect People and Planet" (2016-12-26, ecowatch.com) [archive.is/oo1jj]
* "Standing Rock Prepared Us for Trump’s Billionaires and Oil Giants; Continuing to shrink our oil consumption is one way to challenge the oil uber alles mentality of the Trump administration" (2016-12-26, yesmagazine.org) [archive.is/CglwG]
* "Why I Answered the Call for Veterans to Go to Standing Rock; At Standing Rock, for the first time, I felt like I was finally serving the people" (2016-12-28, by Kevin Basl) [archive.is/gpEKi]
TOWARDS REVOLUTIONARY SOLUTIONS
* "The Movement Matters Most" (2016-12-31, popularresistance.org) [is.gd/5uDHWB]
* "Where the revolution is more likely to happen, in developed or non-developing countries?" (2016-11, by Zaher Baher, Anarkismo.net) [archive.is/5Kww4]
* "Right-wing Populism and the Retreat from Class; To counter the right-wing populism's claim to be the voice of the people, the left must adopt a class-based strategy" (by Robert Griffiths) [archive.is/ZDK54]
* "Is Syndicalism Class Reductionist?" (2016-12-28, ideasandaction.info) [archive.is/MeGof]
* "On the Unity of Workers for a Socialist world order" (2017-01-02, by Nasir Khan) [archive.is/mdeBN]:
When the workers of all countries unite for the common cause of a creating a society where the capitalists and owners of the means of production do not control the lives and destinies of the 99% of human beings in the world, any such unity in Marxist thought is known as proletarian internationalism.
The goal of the struggle of the working masses including the peasants and landless serfs is primarily to defend themselves against the power and domination of the owners of means of production that they mostly use for augmenting their own wealth and upholding their privileges. The ideas about the unity of working classes to create a humane world has been the focus of theoretical and practical activities of generations of socialists since the founders of Scientific Socialism formulated their economic and political theories in the 19th century.
The first major step in creating a socialist society took place in Czarist Russia where the Bolsheviks under the leadership of Vladimir Lenin overthrew the old dynastic rule and introduced the Soviet system.
The success of the Bolshevik Revolution in 1917 was a catalyst for revolutionary activities of the working masses in many countries and also a clarion call to the colonised people to overthrow their colonial masters. As a result, anti-colonial struggles became a powerful force in many Afro-Asian countries. Many countries, big and small, succeeded in throwing off the yoke of European masters.
But in many instances the local ruling classes that emerged had their roots in privileged classes or groups. The struggle for political and economic exploitation became their sole interest. While such leaders plundered their own people and used the political system as a camouflage for furthering their interests, the plight of the poor people remained a non-issue for them. In any case, it is little consolation to the working class, poor or starving people that their “glorious” saviours and leaders have hundreds of millions of dollars stacked in secret banks accounts in Switzerland, France, Britain and America!
However, such exploitation and downright plunder is not incidental. It is endemic, and closely related to how the capitalist political and economic system works. As long as capitalism lives, such exploitation will have its sway. In the third world countries, the problem of institutionalied brainwashing coupled with the exploitation of religion and cheap deceptive slogans at the hands of the ruling elites will continue to play havoc with the people of many Afro-Asian countries.
No doubt, capitalism is wonderful for a few but a disaster for many. To address such issues, Karl Marx and Frederick Engels advocated socialist democracy and a socialist system in place of capitalism. To achieve that goal, political education of working classe people is the first step and that education is part of the political activity that is expressed by the unity of the workers.
* "The Breaking of Nations" (2017-01-04, by Leonid Savin) [archive.is/6gAm2] [begin excerpt]: As a comparison, the ideas expressed in the works with similar titles – “The Breakdown of Nations” and “Breaking the Nations” are going to be considered.
The first one was published in 1957, and the second appeared in 2003. The first work was written by a lawyer, economist and political scientist of Austrian origin. Leopold Kohr had been holding the position of Professor of Economics and Public Administration at the University of Puerto Rico for about twenty years. He was also inspired by the Small is Beautiful movement. Kohr called himself a philosophical anarchist, although he had never advocated anti-state activities. He was an opponent of large projects, including European integration. In 1941 Leopold Kohr predicted not only the fallacy of creating a supranational system in Europe, but also the collapse of the Soviet Union. Even during World War II, he analyzed the balance of ethnic groups, and came to the conclusion that both the Nazi and Soviet regimes would be doomed. As history showed us, his analysis turned out to be accurate. Although only few researchers have turned to his theoretical principles.
Kohr’s approach to the Swiss Confederation is quite concise, it is not a confederation of ethnic and linguistic groups, but a confederation of regions.
“In fact the basis of the existence of Switzerland and the principle of living together of various national groups is not the federation of her three nationalities but the federation of her 22 states, which represent a division of her nationalities and thus create the essential precondition for any democratic federation: the physical balance of the participants, the approximate equality of numbers. The greatness of the Swiss idea, therefore, is the smallness of its cells from which it derives its guaranties.
People who argue for a union of nations in Europe because they believe that this kind of union has been realized and thus proved its practicability in Switzerland, have never based their wonderful schemes on the principle of cantonal or small-state sovereignty. The national idea has so much troubled the minds of the political thinkers, in contrast, the notion of the state is so much more flexible, adaptable and multipliable than that of the nation, that it has most completely gone out of use. For virtue has been seen only in great and greater while smaller entities have been thought and taught to be the source of all mischief and evil. We have been educated in the worship of the bulk, of the universal, of the colossal, and have come away from the minuscule, the completeness and universality on the smallest scale - the individual, which is the protoplasm of all social life. We have learned to praise the unification of France, Britain, Italy and Germany in the belief that they would give birth to a unified humanity. But they created only Great Powers”, as he wrote in his work “Disunion Now: A Plea for a Society based upon Small Autonomous Units” [archive.is/jB4gZ].
Leopold Kohr upholds the principle, which glorifies the sovereignty of the smallest and not the largest state of the subject - Kleinstaaterei, as the Germans saying. He says that no one knows what the term “mankind” really means and why we should even die for it. Unionism and colossalism would not result to anything good. Moreover, Unionism is just another expression of totalitarianism. This is a one-party system, which is transplanted into the international sphere.
“Not only history but also our own experience has taught us that true democracy in Europe can only be achieved in little states. Only there the individual can retain his place and dignity. And if democracy is a worthwhile idea, we have to create again the conditions for its development, the small state, and give the glory of sovereignty (instead of curtailing an institution from which no one wants to depart) to the smallest community and to as many people as possible. It will be easy to unite small states under one continental federal system and thus also satisfy, secondarily, those who want to live on universal terms. [...]" [end excerpt]
* " 'Stop the Violence': Can Community Groups Replace Police Without Supporting the Police?" (2016-12-18, truth-out.org) [archive.is/471KN]
* "When Residents Take Ownership, A Mobile Home Community Thrives" (2016-12-27, npr.org) [archive.is/BmXGD]
* "The Case for 'Disruptive Normality' " (2016-10-24, shareable.net) [archive.is/XoxlO]
And, in the European Union:
Czech, afed.cz: Work download -- The brochure about the system and ideology of labor and anarchist request to free themselves from them is now free to download. (machine translation, via ainfos.ca) [archive.is/vnQWq], download the pamphlet at [is.gd/Un09pr]
* "Let's work together to build an inclusive economy; Party to intensify struggle against corporate capture of strategic levers by parasites" (2016-12-29, SACP) [archive.is/pAXuE]
SOLIDARITY WITH THE NEW AFRICAN NATION!
Black Power! Revive the Community! Defend the Nation!
National News [blackagendareport.com] [atlantablackstar.com] [sfbayview.com]
* "Golden Anniversary of Kwanzaa featuring H.E. Mathilde Mukantabana, Rwandan Ambassador" (2016-12-25, by Khubaka, Michael Harris) [archive.is/mkjaa]
information collected by the Worker's Defense Committee [is.gd/VOkmLr]
* "The WFTU on the Side of the Roofers Union in California USA" (2016-12-23, wftucentral.org) [archive.is/EKLo6]: The World Federation of Trade Unions representing more than 92 million affiliated workers, in every corner of the world expresses its solidarity to the Roofers trade Union and its Head Cliff Smith for his unfair prosecution and arrest.
We salute the militant stance of comrade Cliff Smith who is struggling for the benefits of the workers in their workplaces and their communities. We strongly condemn his arrest for his trade union activity. His prosecution is proving that the capitalists’ laws are made to guard their profitability and can turn against the militant workers when they’re fighting for their rights.
The WFTU calls all its affiliated organisations to show their solidarity to the WFTU cadre, Cliff Smith and demands from the USA court to drop all the unfair charges against his trade union activity.
Updates from the World Federation of Trade Unions (WFTU), 92 Million Strong, Worldwide! (wftucentral.org):
* "Nakliyat-İş, Turkey: Despite the emergency state, police pressure, stonewalls, our union made “Minimum Wage don’t be a Wage of Poverty” protest in Gebze" (2017-01-03) [archive.is/Ry2D7]
HANDS OFF OUR HOMES!
* "Support the occupation of Apollo house" (2016-12-31, wsm.ie):
A high court judge yesterday granted an injunction that directs the Home Sweet Home
occupiers of Apollo House to vacate the building by noon on January 11th. This means that
the occupiers will remain in the building until after Christmas which is some good news
but it still means that the State is quite willing to forcibly eject people from safe
accommodation back out onto freezing streets or into unsafe, sub standard accommodation.
[What follows is an extract from the Irish Housing Network statement yesterday]:
"This morning Sam McGuinness of Dublin Simon Community said that there were 88 people
sleeping on the streets, and that a further 70 had to sleep on the floor of Merchant's
Quay cafe. We have a legitimate and deep concern over the Government's insistence that
‘there are enough beds'.
The residents of Apollo house have made a home there. They sleep in the same bed every
night. They can leave their belongings somewhere safe. They know that it is their bed, it
is their home and that they have the power to make choices about what happens there.
There are skilled, experienced volunteers on hand to support them when needed. They can
plan for Christmas day, and know that they'll be warm, will have a good meal and will be
able to share it with people that they have come to know and trust. This is not something
the State, or NAMA for that matter, is in a position to offer them.
If the government would like to offer solutions, we would ask that they ensure that there
are enough secure homes for people - that all of the state assets, including those owned
by NAMA are used as a priority to create stable, secure and empowering places for people
to make a home in.
Until then, we will stay. A huge thank you from the bottom of our hearts to everyone who
has helped and donated. We've begun to redistribute donations to other homeless
accommodation centres in the area. Together we can help end this awful crisis, and ensure
a guaranteed right to housing for all." [end of statement]
- "In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread." -Anatole France
- Like the Home Sweet Home page here: [facebook.com/HomeSweetHomeIRL]
- Like the Irish Housing Network page here: [facebook.com/irishhousingnetwork]
- Visit: [wsm.ie/c/support-occupation-apollo-house]
* (2016-12-31) [archive.is/3dZDH]: A resident at Apollo House reads the demands, wishes and hopes of the residents going into New Year 2017. "These are basic demands. The housing crisis is bigger than Apollo House. We just want homes"
* (2016-12-22, facebook.com/SolidarityTimes) [archive.is/5jjE5]: This video was yesterday, the morning of the Apollo House injunction hearing at the High Court. As well as footage from outside the courts on our way there we had earlier visited the sites of other occupied buildings evicted in the last 20 months. We discovered all of them were still vacant and in most cases no visible work at all had been done on the,.
Apollo house is a NAMA building occupied to provide emergency accommodation for homeless people. 35-40 people have been accommodated there over the last couple of nights. As expected the judge granted the injunction, it will come into operation on January 11th.
We visit 4 other occupations evicted after the same judge granted injunctions over the previous 20 months. All four of those sites are currently vacant and in 3 cases no apparent work has been done. At the largest, Grangegorman all the habitable structures have now been demolished, it had previously housed 30 people.
Irish law is completely weighted towards property holders and not at all towards peoples needs for housing
The evictions sites we visit in the video
Site 1: The Bolt, Dorset street
Site 2: The Debtors Prison
Site 3: Grangegorman (the HSE houses)
Site 4: Grangegorman (‘squat city’)
We also mention but don’t visit The Barricade Inn which is also still vacant after a injunction was granted against the occupiers of that building. More on all of these at [www.wsm.ie/squat].
* "RTE Drivetime's hostile click bait against Apollo House falls flat on its face" (2016-12-20, wsm.ie) [archive.is/7PQys]
information collected by the Committee to
DEFEND THOSE WITHOUT HOMES!
* "Freedom SleepOut #77: Sanctuary for the Local Homeless?" (2016-12-27, by Robert Norse) [archive.is/O0cbb] [begin excerpt]:
WILL LAST WEEK'S PRE-DAWN RAIDS BE REPEATED?
Last week at SleepOut #76, activists John and Pat Colby reported heavy police harassment and ticketing shortly before 6 AM in the morning followed by ranger threats to seize "unattended gear" a few hours later with the intent of driving away those resting near City Hall. Homeless residents Lawrence, Sonny, and Eagle confirmed the raids. Monterey Max was also reportedly handcuffed but then released with a $200 "trespass" citation. [end excerpt]
* "New Year's Nightwatch: Freedom SleepOut #78 at City Hall" (2017-01-03, by Robert Norse) [archive.is/7FJiR] [begin excerpt]:
SHELTER FOR THE FEW -
The Association of Faith Communities $300,000 shelter program is "expanding" to 110 with a second shelter at the Salvation Army. Rumors are they may be moving their intake area from the less-accessible past-the-Tannery location to the Salvation Army itself. The program, along with the occasionally-open Warming Center accommodates around 5% of the County's homeless population. Meanwhile there continues to effectively be no emergency shelter at the Homeless (Lack of) Services Center at Coral St. as well as no meals for those with no "pathway to housing".
BERKELEY BROADSIDE FROM "FIRST THEY CAME FOR THE HOMELESS" -
The "Poor Tour"--an ever resurgent encampment/community in Berkeley has weathered its 13 bust-and-move in the dead of winter. It's now located in the "Gourmet Grotto" of Berkeley at the far end of Shattuck Ave. Details at their facebook page and at [archive.is/4YW8L]. [end excerpt]
* Read more about the Freedom Sleeper campaign [facebook.com/groups/freedomsleepers].
* "Why Are We Here?" A Berkeley Homelessness FAQ from 'First They Came for the Homeless' campaign (2017-01-02) [archive.is/4YW8L], intro: First They Came for the Homeless (FTCftH) is a group of unhoused people who have organized ourselves on the streets of Berkeley both for mutual support and to promote a political message regarding homelessness, homeless people, income inequality and the privatization of the commons in the United States.
* "18th Annual Homeless Memorial Dec. 20, 2016" (2016-12-20, by AutumnSun, via Indybay.org Newswire) [archive.is/iJPD7], intro:
This was a very touching memorial
There was reporting of homeless deaths, songs, testimonials, and Hospice of Santa Cruz provided Grief counseling.
Thirty seven people died on the streets of Santa Cruz this past year!
Of those who died twenty seven were males and ten were female
Average age of the homeless deaths is 51.5yrs.much lower of the national average of 78.8!
Documenting human-rights abuse by domestic security agencies
[NorthbayCopwatch.blogspot.com] [copblock.org] [wecopwatch.org] [filmingcops.com]
* "Killer Cop Training — Coming Soon to Northern California" (2016-12-28, oaklandprivacy.org) [archive.is/yo2qv] [begin excerpt]: Jeronimo Yanez, the officer who shot Philando Castile in his car in Minnesota took a training course called “The Bulletproof Warrior,” now renamed as the “Street Survival Seminar.” The same training, with a new name, is coming to Sacramento this coming February.
The evidence suggests that this course, and courses similar to it, offered by a private company called Calibre Press, are even worse than Urban Shield – the organized para-military and terror response training put on for police by the Alameda County Sheriff’s Department – if that’s imaginable.
The New York Times quotes Chuck Wexler, Executive Director of the Police Executive Research Forum, as saying that courses like those offered by Calibre “reinforce the thinking that everyone is out to get the police… if you hesitate, you could lose your life.”
Michael Becar, the leader of an international police training association says “seminars like those offered by Calibre and other firms foster a sense of paranoia among officers.”
The course Yanez took is now called “BulletProof,” (according to the Star-Tribune [archive.is/45009], “Calibre recently changed the name of its Bulletproof Warrior course after complaints from police departments about the implication of the word ‘warrior.'”) and it’s coming to Sacramento on February 20, 2017, hosted by the California Highway Patrol. [...]
It’s militarized policing on the individual level, drilled into the attendees as they are shown videos of police being shot – but if they are shown videos such as Oscar Grant, Walter Scott, and Mario Woods being executed as well, no one is volunteering that information.
We know that police should be being trained to de-escalate; we know that paranoia leads directly to officers shooting at people because they think that toy trucks and cell phones look like handguns. Calibre and the mentality it pushes are indirectly responsible for the deaths of hundreds, likely thousands over the years. [end excerpt]
* "City of Vallejo Announces Launch of Crime-Free Multi Housing Program" (2016-12-29) [archive.is/4ZxXa]:
The City of Vallejo’s Housing and Community Development Division announces that it has renewed implementation of the Crime-Free Multi-Housing (CFMH) Program. The CFMH, originally developed by the Mesa Police Department in Arizona in 1992, is a crime prevention program designed to help tenants, property owners, and managers keep illegal activities off their rental properties, while maintaining a tenant-friendly atmosphere. Since its inception, the Program has expanded to 2,000 cities in 44 states and over 10 countries, and has contributed to the significant drop in police calls for service and reduction in police reports in these jurisdictions.
Vallejo’s program is coordinated by a law enforcement consultant in partnership with the Vallejo Police and Fire Departments. The program consists of three phases:
* Phase One consists of certifying property management teams with an eight-hour training on tenant screening, fair housing rules, crime detection, and drugs and gang identification.
* Phase Two is an on-site inspection using the Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) approach, conducted at the property to implement mandatory security improvements.
* Phase Three requires the property owners/managers, with assistance from the police department, to hold a crime prevention meeting, often called “safety social”, with its tenants. This meeting is also an opportunity to bring the tenants together to learn about and become involved with the program.
Upon completion of all three phases, the property is awarded full certification and permission to display the CFMH sign. The certification must be renewed annually through continued property management training and annual CPTED inspections.
The City will hold Phase One of the program on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at the Marina Vista Apartments Office. Participating apartment communities include Avian Glen at 301 Avian Drive, Blue Rock Village at 2000 Ascot Parkway, Harbor Park at 969 Porter Street, Legacy at Sonoma at 1825 Sonoma Boulevard, Marina Heights at 135 Carolina Street, Marina Vista at 201 Maine Street, Mission Terracina at 2700 Tuolumne Street, Seabreeze at 100 Larissa Lane, Sereno Village at 750 Sereno Drive, and The Meritage at 55 Valle Vista Avenue.
Through the program’s proactive approach to crime prevention, the Crime-Free Multi-Housing Program builds a cooperative effort among property owners/management, tenants, and the police department, to keep illegal and nuisance activities out of rental properties.
NORTHBAY COPWATCH: Judiciary Watch
NORTHBAY COPWATCH: Domestic Security Agencies and private-sector partners
* "The Fight to Rein in NSA Surveillance: 2016 in Review" (2016-12-22, eff.org) [archive.is/HDESs]
* "Judge Orders U.S. Government To Release Classified Surveillance Files" (2016-12-28, by Derrick Broze) [archive.is/eJ6BO]
* "U.S. Government Prepares To Disclose Number Of Americans Under Surveillance" (2016-12-28, by Derrick Broze) [archive.is/2X6pP]
* "Amazon Echo Saves All Your Voice Data, Police Are Now Accessing It, Here’s How To Hear And Delete It" (2016-12-28, by Matt Agorist) [archive.is/MBe8Z]
* "US Government Can Legally Access Your Facebook Data — And Now We Know How" (2016-12-27, by Alice Salles) [archive.is/9X0qk]
* "Facebook secrets: Want to see who’s monitoring your Facebook?" (2017-01-02, distract101.com) [archive.is/Tw8mb]
* "DARPA’s plan for total surveillance of low-flying drones over cities" (2016-09-16, kurzweilai.net) [archive.is/kWwIN], illustration caption: An artist’s concept of Aerial Dragnet system: several UAS carrying sensors form a network that provides wide-area surveillance of all low-flying UAS in an urban setting
* " ‘Russian hackers’ penetrate US power grid with ‘outdated Ukrainian malware’ " (2016-12-31, rt.com) [archive.is/T4qCC]
* (2016-12-30, Chris Rivera):
so today I read the report that homeland security released about the whole russia hacking thing and as someone who studied (and still studies) cyber security, i have to say this stinks like some serious doo doo.out of the 13 pages of the report, about 2 or so say what "happened" (with nothing to back it up) and the rest of the report is some basic preventative measures that any systems admin knows. kind of insulting, really.
i'm getting some serious weapons of mass destruction in iraq type vibes. mainly because the severe lack of evidence that would prove russia hacked either the dnc emails or the voting machines is really no where to be found.
the evidence that was released (in september, i believe) point to a couple of things that only the most newbie of hackers would do. russia and its government have some of the best hackers in the world that wouldnt resort to such rookie mistakes. it would be like robbing a bank without a mask, or gloves and then leaving your phone number on a piece of paper inside the empty vault, while taking a selfie and then posting it to instagram.
it's nuts. am i saying that russia absolutely didnt hack anything? no, but i am saying the evidence (or lack thereof) is so lackluster that i actually felt insulted after reading the DHS report
i could be missing something, but that article doesnt mention anything about the bots being russian at all. let's say they were russian controlled bots, that would still be circumstantial evidence at best and only would fit the narrative like you said.i did see an article about a month ago that showed the #trumpwon hashtag started in russia. here's the thing. there's something called botnets where compromised computers are remotely controlled to do the controllers bidding, so simply having a russian IP address from the source doesnt really prove that it was a russian op, in fact, if they wanted to make it look legit they would have that botnet take over american computers to make it look organic. they could do this by having malware scan networks for common vulnerabilities and do most of it automatically.
the evidence that was posed earlier this year was basically a laundry list of sloppyness.
first, the supposed hackers (SH from now on lol) reused an SSL cert from a previous hack. a digital cert is basically just that, a certificate that says that traffic has not been modified from point a to point b and they also have information about what kind of encryption methods are being used for said traffic. i've set up certificate authorities and sub certificate authorities (they produce the digi certs) and producing a new cert would take less than 10 minutes.
second, once these advanced persistent threats were discovered in the dnc network it came to be found that they were "phoning home" to a known ip address in russia that was related to a previously discovered piece of malware. another thing that is incredibly amateur. what 99% of hackers that are worth anything do is compromise a system disguising their traffic using a VPN (virtual private network, it encrypts all your internet traffic to make eavesdropping useless, any intercepted traffic looks like a garbled mess that would take several years to crack) and then they launch their attacks from the compromised system (often called a proxy) while still using their vpn to connect to said computer. in other words they make the traffic look like it's coming from somewhere completely different than it actually is and once that computer is found to be a proxy, it's really hard to trace back to where it actually was compromised from. i mean, right now i can make my internet traffic look like it's coming from iraq and that's with next to zero real effort.
lastly, john podestas email account was compromised through phishing (basically a form of social engineering that tricks people into giving their password away). julian assange says that their leaks were given to them from the inside and not the russians, leaks not hacks. assange could be full of poop, but what does he have to gain by lying about that? the whole seth rich situation is definitely interesting as well. people like judge napolitano have been insinuating that a lot of these leaks came from the us intelligence community (likely the nsa) but these are all things glossed over by the media because it doesn't fit the narrative that they want to push. just like the WMD debacle
* "D-Wave Systems previews 2000-qubit quantum processor" (2016-09-28, kurzweilai.net) [archive.is/D1a0C]
NORTHBAY COPWATCH: International Security Agencies, the Five-Eyes, and transnational partners
* "10 Times The U.S. 'Hacked' Foreign Elections and Democracies" (2016-12-22, ivn.us) [archive.is/uZtUV]
* "Berlin In Lockstep With US — Planning “Center Of Defense Against Disinformation” Ahead Of Elections" (2016-12-27, by Claire Bernish) [archive.is/eg8gJ]
* "Mass surveillance: We are being watched" (2015-11-01, en.protothema.gr) [archive.is/VK7h7] [begin excerpt]:
EU citizens’ rights still in danger, says Parliament -
Too little has been done to safeguard citizens’ fundamental rights following revelations of electronic mass surveillance, say MEPs in a resolution voted on Thursday. They urge the EU Commission to ensure that all data transfers to the US are subject to an “effective level of protection” and ask EU member states to grant protection to Edward Snowden, as a “human rights defender”. Parliament also raises concerns about surveillance laws in several EU countries. [...]
Data transfers to the US -
MEPs welcome the 6 October ruling by the EU Court of Justice (ECJ) in the Schrems case, which invalidated the Commission’s decision on the Safe Harbour scheme for data transfers to the US. “This ruling has confirmed the long-standing position of Parliament regarding the lack of an adequate level of protection under this instrument”, they say. [...]
Concerns over surveillance laws in several EU countries -
Parliament is concerned about “recent laws in some member states that extend surveillance capabilities of intelligence bodies”, including in France, the UK and the Netherlands. It is also worried by revelations of mass surveillance of telecommunications and internet traffic inside the EU by the German foreign intelligence agency BND in cooperation with the US National Security Agency (NSA). [end excerpt]
* " 'Proto Thema', another level of information: directly from the state security" (2016-12-22, provo.gr, machine translation via Ainfos.ca Newswire) [archive.is/3mtrk]
* "THE UGLY FACE OF LITHUANIA A complete list of Lithuanian harassers, stalkers, trolls and their networks and pro-hate speech groups operating in social media" (updated 2016-12-21, Lithuanian Human Rights Monitor) [is.gd/RQN3WR], intro: This document is a collection of the most prominent harassers, stalkers, delators and networks of trolls that have imposed a reign of intimidation and fear in Lithuania. Is a work in progress and will be updated regularly with new information about this shameful episode of Lithuanian history. [facebook.com/LTuglyface]
- Mr. Vytenis Petrusevicius. He defines himself as a "entrepreneur". He is living in Kaunas. He is very active in several Lithuanian facebook groups of harassers and aggressive pro-maidan (fascist Ukrainian) trolls. He shows his patriotism using the US flag. Very pro-European buddy. #Ltuglyface ilLithuaniauglyface
from the Committee to
FREE 'EM ALL!
End the Drug War! Stop Jim Crow! Close the Torture Chambers! [solitarywatch.com] [facebook.com/incarceratedworkers] [supportprisonerresistance.noblogs.org] [denverabc.wordpress.com] [prisonlegalnews.org] [prisonbooks.info] [nycabc.wordpress.com] [powmedicaljustice.com] [sacprisonersupport.wordpress.com]. Become a Human Rights Pen Pal! [link].
* "Cuban Five Member Calls for Solidarity with U.S. Political Prisoners" (2016-12-16, granma.cu) [archive.is/MO5To]
* "Anonymous’ Journalist Released After 4 Years In Jail — Vows Never To Back Down" (2016-12-26, by Barrett Brown) [archive.is/zBkPG]
* "Letter in support of Dr. Mutulu Shakur’s clemency petition" (2016-12-29, amsterdamnews.com) [archive.is/1bvsN]
* "To the Washington Times et. al: Leonard Peltier was wrongfully convicted" (2016-12-28, whoisleonardpeltier.info) [archive.is/iUKEA]
* "1/22: 2nd Annual Trans Prisoner Day of Action" (2017-01-01, itsgoingdown.org) [archive.is/w7gu7]
* "Exiting solitary confinement – and the games CDCr plays" (2016-12-29, by Sitawa Nantambu Jamaa, via sfbayview.com) [archive.is/CAP38]
* "For Thousands in New York's Prisons, Christmas is Just Another Day in Solitary Confinement" (2016-12-24, villagevoice.com) [archive.is/jEGAV]
* "Spaces of Exception; Resilience in Prisons and on Reservations" (2016-12-30, Kite Line radio show, wfhb.org) [archive.is/FeyQ1] [begin excerpt]: To pursue these connections farther, we interviewed an ex-worker from Indiana’s New Castle prison who was present during the 2007 uprising there. She describes the protests of Native prisoners who were shipped to Indiana from Arizona as part of a for-profit deal by the GEO corporation running the prison. As part of their transfer, guards desecrated sacred objects important to these prisoners, and anger about this desecration was central to the uprising. She reveals that the rebellion was not about “pornography” and was not a race riot, the red herrings presented by the DOC, but was instead an act of resistance by native prisoners collaborating with local prisoners of other races. The uprising ultimately forced the DOC to return the prisoners to Arizona. This story from Indiana reinforces Peterson’s point that native ways of life are a living exception within a society dominated by the logic of governance and the economy. [end excerpt]
THE MEDICAL INDUSTRY IS FOR LIFE, NOT FOR PROFIT!
* "The U.S. spends more on health care than any other country. Here’s what we’re buying" (2016-12-27, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/pBVAJ]
articles recommended by the
SAN PABLO BAY ECOLOGICAL PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION
Campaigns, info, and more [SanPabloBayEPA.blogspot.com]. Science [discardstudies.com]. [blog.savesfbay.org]
* "Could Republican Majority Repeal the Endangered Species Act? Right-wing Republicans have attacked the Endangered Species Act for years—and now they're aiming to repeal it altogether" (2016-12-28, commondreams.org) [archive.is/paIIK]
* "Protect the Livermore Aquifer, Jan 4" (2016-12-09, sunflower-alliance.org) [archive.is/WAKFf]
* "San Francisco Bay Is Freshwater-Starved; How Reducing Flows Harms The Ecosystems Of San Francisco Bay And Coastal Waters" (2016-12-28, by The Bay Institute) [archive.is/pv2m2]
* "Old growth Redwoods in Park Under Threat Again" (2016-12-29, Bay Area Coalition for Headwaters BACH) [archive.is/gRb6i]
* "1,000s of sea creatures wash up in Canada, no-one knows why" (2016-12-31, rt.com) [archive.is/6S5Pi]
* "Dead fish in N.S. no 'great cause for concern': federal scientist" (2016-12-30, ctvnews.ca) [archive.is/CBWbl]
SAN PABLO BAY EPA: Health and the Human Ecology
Monopolists enforce a regime that does not recognize the natural right to health and life. Info [detoxproject.org].
* "Hoosick Falls Kids Call for Constitutional Right to Clean Water; Environmental Advocates of New York and EffectiveNY Team Up in Push for Constitutional Amendment" (2016-12-30, eany.org) [archive.is/FhCee]
* "The Top 10 Prescribed Pharmaceuticals of 2016 Are a Sign That Food is Killing Us" (2016-12-27, wakingtimes.com) [archive.is/9NK9B]
* "MIT Scientist Explains Why Modern Wheat is Causing So Many Health Problems" (2016-12-26, wakingtimes.com) [archive.is/ADZQn]
* "Hundreds Of GMO Studies BUSTED By Discovery Of Major Conflicts Of Interest" (2016-12-27, by Brandon Turbeville) [archive.is/lzLlA]
articles recommended by the
NO NUKES! campaign
[StopNuclearDeath.blogspot.com] [nuclear-news.net] [nukeresister.org] [nukefree.org]; National Radiation Map [radiationnetwork.com], depicting environmental radiation levels across the USA, updated in real time every minute.
* "Donald Trump’s New Nuclear Instability" (2016-12-29, by Amy Goodman and Denis Moynihan) [is.gd/GFKTz7]
* "A tense new battle over nuclear arms erupts between Donald Trump and his staff" (2016-12-23, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/ZBZCY]
articles recommended by the
SAN PABLO BAY SOVEREIGNTY Think-tank
* "Why the Food Movement is Unstoppable" (2016-09-20, by Jonathan Latham, PhD) [archive.is/H2ZHU]
* "Rhode Island Legalizes Hemp, Sets Foundation To Nullify Federal Prohibition" (2017-01-02, by Mike Maharrey) [archive.is/snkOe]
* "Place Governance: Placemaking-Powered Localism" (2016-09-06, shareable.net) [archive.is/pQ7IT]
* "In Santa Fe, Momentum Builds for Locals to Take Charge of Electricity System" (2016-10-04, shareable.net) [archive.is/MFcaw]
* "Voting with Every Dollar We Spend: Business Models that Build Community Resilience" (2016-10-06, shareable.net) [archive.is/ciwzS]
* "The Loomio Handbook: A Roadmap for Worker-Owned Cooperatives" (2016-09-06, shareable.net) [archive.is/c2swd]
UNITED STATES FASCISM WATCH
Documenting the process of fascism and for whom it benefits. [UnitedStatesFascism.blogspot.com] [exposefacts.org]
* "2016 Was Totally Awesome! (For Billionaires); Billionaires like fracking pioneer Harold Hamm saw big gains this year" (2016-12-28, commondreams.org) [archive.is/BZnVq]
* "Eight Years After an Epic Banking Crash, America’s Biggest Threat Is Still Its Banks" (2016-12-27, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/EvUON]
* "The Overlooked, Under-Reported and Ignored Stories of 2016; We can probably all agree on some things that were over-reported this year. But what stories didn't get their due? Reporters, editors and bloggers weigh in" (2016-12-28, billmoyers.com) [archive.is/224k6]
* "For-Profit Schools See Veterans as 'Nothing More Than Dollar Signs in Uniform' ;A new report from the Department of Education shows that nearly 200 colleges are profiting from a legal loophole that allows them to target veterans for G.I. bill money" (2016-12-28, commondreams.org) [archive.is/9YzuU]
* "Freedom Caucus list of rules to repeal is plagiarized from other groups" (2016-12-20, usatoday.com) [archive.is/09JZH] [begin excerpt]: To great fanfare, Rep. Mark Meadows, R-N.C., chairman of the conservative House Freedom Caucus, last week released a list of more than 200 rules the incoming Donald Trump White House should immediately repeal or revise.
Most of the list, however, was not written by Meadows' staff or the Freedom Caucus. Large chunks of the "special report" were lifted from other places without attribution: websites of the Heritage Foundation and other free-market groups; policy papers and letters from industry lobbying groups; even in one case an entire paragraph of a Politico news article.
It is not all that surprising that the Heritage Foundation would be the source of a lot of the ideas on the deregulation target list, given that members of the Freedom Caucus have participated in monthly lunches with reporters hosted and moderated by the Heritage Foundation. But the report took many of its explanations about the impacts of targeted rules word-for-word from Heritage Foundation publications.
For example, the report suggests blocking mandates for energy alternatives for the Defense Department, because "Oil products may be expensive, but they are the least expensive option currently available. Forcing the military to purchase more expensive alternatives would leave fewer resources for training, modernization, and recapitalization, resulting in a less capable military."
That is a direct quote from a June 2011 Heritage Foundation research report opposing fuel alternatives for the military. There are more than a dozen similar references that were lifted directly from Heritage products. That link does not show up on the spreadsheet on Meadows' website.
The copy-and-pasting goes beyond just the like-minded think tank.
On Dec. 2, a lobbying association for independent truckers — the "Owner Operator Independent Drivers Association" — wrote to Vice President-elect Mike Pence to lodge a series of concerns about regulations, particularly "hours of service" rules for drivers. A rule requiring "electronic logging devices" is a bad idea, the group wrote, because they "ELDs are theorized to improve compliance with hours of service (HOS) regulations. However, they are incapable of tracking the amount of time drivers expend during the loading and unloading process — a sizable portion of a driver’s work week and where the vast majority of HOS non-compliance occurs."
That paragraph, word-for-word, was the sole justification the Freedom Caucus report provided for doing away with the electronic logging device rule. [end excerpt]
* "House leadership proposes plan to penalize live-streaming lawmakers" (2016-12-27, politico.com) [archive.is/01gb4]
* "Ryan Proposes Fines, Ethics Moves on Grandstanding House Members; Move follows Democrats’ live-streaming of gun-vote protest; House Sergeant-at-Arms would be able to garnish paychecks" (2016-12-24, bloomberg.com) [archive.is/Ok4M1]
President-elect Donald Trump's regime -
* "Preparing for the Normalization of a Neofascist White House" (2017-01-02, juancole.com) [archive.is/m8jLj]
* "Trump, Who "Can't Be Bought," Rewards Big Donors With Cabinet Roles; Politico reports that nearly a third of people who have met with president-elect since November gave millions to Republicans in 2016 cycle" (2016-12-27, commondreams.org) [archive.is/LFvjz]
* "What Does Trump’s Proposed Cabinet Tell Us About The Next Four Years?" (2017-01-01, commondreams.org) [archive.is/MLEaF]
* "Disgraced former HUD Secretary vouches for Ben Carson to run HUD" (2016-12-29, by Lynda Carson, Indybay.org Newswire) [archive.is/q6plE]
* (2016-12-30, twitter.com/realDonaldTrump) [archive.is/s3PHP]: Great move on delay (by V. Putin) - I always knew he was very smart!
* "Democrats’ year-end moves seem like revenge on Trump for winning – Russian FM spokeswoman" (2016-12-31, rt.com) [archive.is/VQ1zE]
* "Trump’s Frightening Picks for U.S. Policy in the Middle East" (2016-12-22, progressive.org) [archive.is/qulkH]
* from [archive.is/rf7XB] [begin excerpt]: Donald Trump’s nomination of David Friedman for American Ambassador to Israel might as well be a declaration of war against Palestinians, Arab-Israelis, Arabs and Muslims. Friedman is so far to the right of even the Israeli right-wing mainstream that his influence alone may instigate a war that is in nobody’s interests.
According to Israeli newspaper Haaretz Trump’s long time bankruptcy lawyer David Friedman, has also been his senior foreign policy adviser vis a vis Israel. An ardent fundraiser through his own non-profits for West Bank Jewish “settlements” – all of which are illegal under international law– Friedman has been described as being well to the right of Netanyahu. Basically he belongs to the fanatics of the Israel on both sides of the Jordan crowd who believe that god gave the Jews everything they ever controlled in Old Testament days and that the Jews must now reclaim those lands. This is the nut that Trump wants to be American ambassador to Israel whose first mission is to move the Embassy to Jerusalem, a move likely to start a new “Intifada.” Speaking in Israel during the summer, Haaretz reported that:
… Friedman promised that “a Trump administration will never pressure Israel into a two-state solution or any other solution that is against the will of the Israeli people” because “they know what’s best for themselves.”
Friedman’s influence over Trump also explains the ascendancy of John Bolton in the new administration. Less to do with Bolton’s seeming differences with Trump over Russia and more to do with his direct fundraising support for Friedman and the settlements.
Some serious issues emerge from Friedman’s fundraising activities as to whether he’s even minimally qualified to be an Ambassador. [...]
- Why hasn’t New York chartered American Friends of Bet-El Yeshiva Center filed a return with the New York Charities Bureau since 2011….and why hasn’t the New York Attorney General done anything about it?
- What is the relationship between 501(c)(3) American Friends of Bet-El Yeshiva Center and what appears to be an unincorporated fundraising entity (New York has no record of it) “American Friends of Bet El Institutions” (which did the John Bolton fundraiser)?
- Will David Friedman resign as President of the 501(c)(3) when he becomes Ambassador?
- Why does American Friends of Bet-El Yeshiva Center have only three directors (its officers)?
Photo caption: David Friedman, Donald Trump, Ivanka Trump
* "Damning Investigation Finds Trump's Philanthropy Largely a 'Facade' ; One of the Trump Foundation's most consistent causes was Donald Trump himself" (2016-12-29, commondreams.org) [archive.is/G4dbg]
"Trump's America" -
* " ‘Bankrupt them’: Cafe that banned ‘Nazi’ Trump voters served bitter reviews" (2016-12-31, rt.com) [archive.is/UOmyX]
* "Debunking the Latest Breitbart-Promoted Right-Wing Racist Paranoid Buzzword; The term "white genocide" is making the rounds in the alt-right fever swamps. It's a complete fabrication" (2016-12-27, alternet.org) [archive.is/JquNU]
* "The role of Infowars during Trump's campaign" (2016-12-30, by Richard Spencer) [archive.is/cwyrc]:
I would not describe Infowars as a platform for Alt-right thought leaders, as many detractors claim.
Of course our movemet could use Infowars as an independant Media. I mean that throught Infowars a lot of people who are interested in Alt-right can find information about us as well as through Alt-Right website. I see two of these websites, which are huge by the way, similar in a sense that they both have been very pro-Trump and there has been a natural alignment there.
We can see thet in the past few weeks of the election the whole Trump campaign declined of smears and misinformations the lying media put out. That was incredible.
Donald Trump who is not Alt-right, I’m not sure anyone quite knows these things, was depicted as literally Hitler. Clearly the opposite was the case, Clinton was formally more likely to engage in a major conflict with Russia. But Donald Trump was portrayed like someone who could hit the nuclear button at 3 a.m. just because he disliked someone’s tweet or something like this.
The tension of desinformation was astounding. Clearly, the mass media apparatus hated Donald Trump.
But in the last few weeks there was a little bit of the transition, the mass media right now began do decline the level of hatery. It seems like they accepted the fact that he has won and is going to be a president. Now they will try to push him back in their direction, saying: “Ok, Donald. You said all those wild things during your campaign, but come on, you can also be a normal President. You can be just like Mitt Romney”.
Free media as Infowars played a great role during this compaign but they must keep on to stop the pressure of mainstream lying media.
USA FASCISM: Dominionism & the "Prosperity Gospel"
* " 'Prosperity Gospel' Preacher's Inauguration Role Angers Trump's Christian Base; The inclusion in Donald Trump's inauguration as US president of a 'prosperity gospel' preacher whose church solicits donations in exchange for blessings and has been investigated by the US Senate is infuriating some of his evangelical supporters" (2016-12-31, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/NGwtr]
USA FASCISM: Military State
* "U.S. Sold $40 Billion in Weapons in 2015, Topping Global Market" (2016-12-26, nytimes.com) [archive.is/hhjUU]
* "Qatar, India, Italy purchase Raytheon Stinger missiles" (2016-12-29, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/tRwuW]
* "Lockheed Martin receives $1.4 billion for Patriot missile sales" (2016-12-23, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/QN4Kc]
* "Raytheon to demonstrate military satellite capabilities for U.S. Air Force" (2016-12-21, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/SToLA]
* "Production model Scorpion takes to the air" (2016-12-23, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/iPsfi] [begin excerpt]: Textron AirLand's first production-conforming Scorpion jet has performed its maiden flight, verifying its avionics and aerodynamic performance.
The multirole, twin-engine aircraft flight took off from McConnell Air Force Base in Wichita, Kan., and flew for 1 hour and 42 minutes, the company announced, and is set to begin a flight test program, which will involve the U.S. Air Force.
"This program milestone closely follows the recent successful weapons capability exercise on the prototype Scorpion completed in early October," Textron AirLand said. "The Scorpion jet is a bold new direction for tactical aircraft designed to excel in roles ranging from intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance to close air support and armed reconnaissance." [end excerpt]
* "US Navy Orders 214 Tomahawk Cruise Missiles Worth $303 Million" (2016-12-29, en.alalam.ir) [archive.is/O7VNj]
* (2017-01-04) [archive.is/rSSoh]: This meme is more a knock at the extremely popular "they defend our freedom" myth and how that's in conflict with us electing a president that said Iraq was better off before US troops invaded.
I live in an area with a large active duty population, Trump was the unofficial candidate endorsed by the military. Military planes flew over his event as a show of support when he campaigned.
* (2017-01-04, Vincent Dale): Okay, we have a small role in fighting ISIS but the military of the United States is ordered to defend and expand our empire, not simply to defend our country. And that's exactly what it is, an empire of the capitalist West. We don't need military bases in almost every country on earth or the ridiculous security agreements that preserve them. There is NO military threat against the U.S. that isn't a defensive gesture. We need to get the fuck out of the Middle East and every country that isn't ours, stop funding terrorist and rebel groups (Al Qaeda, Al Nusra, Free Syrian Army) and the countries that support them (Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Qatar, Israel) for our political purposes right under our noses, and destroy the imperialist war machine at home, which addresses the problem at the source. That's what a real hero would do - not sell their body and mind to imperialism out of a misplaced sense of duty and honor. If you're going to be part of the military, you better shake it up.
USA FASCISM: Two Party Dictatorship
* "Faithless Electors Test Power of Parties" (2016-12-23, ivn.us) [archive.is/y97XH]
* "Libertarian Party Robbed of Party Status" (2016-12-27, ivn.us) [archive.is/tWOUe]
USA FASCISM: State Media Watch
Documenting propaganda issued by the monopolist media and members of the state security regime that uphold the economic dictatorship, imperialist wars, and the "New Jim Crow" regime [mediamatters.org] [onlinecensorship.org]
* "2016: How Truth Was Destroyed So You’d Buy The Government’s Propaganda" (2017-01-02, by Claire Bernish) [archive.is/0EGnu]
* "Fake news brought to you by the ad wizards of Corporate America; The Sponsors of the Traditional Media Are Cutting Out the Middleman" (2016-12-30, whowhatwhy.org) [archive.is/tOk6B]
* "Spooked: How the CIA Manipulates the Media" (via whowhatwhy.org), page 1 [archive.is/FGKu4], page 2 [archive.is/CyLsZ]
* "The War Against Alternative Information; The U.S. government is creating a new $160 million bureaucracy to shut down information that doesn’t conform to U.S. propaganda narratives, building on the strategy that sold the bloody Syrian “regime change” war" (2017-01-01, consortiumnews.com) [archive.is/NbHrN]
* "Fake News On Steroids — Has The CIA Infiltrated Russian Media?" (2016-12-30, by Janet Phelan) [archive.is/LQjmK]
* "Mainstream Fake News: The Devious Limited Hangout" (2016-12-27, by Jon Rappoport) [archive.is/DUsF5]
* "Latest News In The War On Alternative Media" (2016-12-27, by Kurt Nimmo) [archive.is/Yb0el]
* "Whatever Happened to the First Amendment? KPFA’s 'Fake News' Pitch and the Ministry of Truth" (2016-12-30, counterpunch.org) [archive.is/Yk5Ud]
* "Controlling the Narrative on Syria" (2016-12-13, mrzine.monthlyreview.org) [archive.is/9kjPN]
* "NYT on Iraq and Russia: Newspaper of Record or Journalistic Home to Intelligence Sources and Warmakers" (2016-12-30, commondreams.org) [archive.is/ssW1y]
* "Oliver Stone accuses mainstream media of reporting fake news about Russia" (2017-01-02, inquisitr.com) [archive.is/wF1dk]
* "CNN uses screenshot from ‘Fallout 4’ to show how Russians hack things" (2017-01-02, bgr.com) [archive.is/2RM6N]
* "Clapper: RT reporting on US problems part of 'multifaceted' Russian campaign to undermine elections" (2017-01-05, rt.com) [archive.is/CK9Sl]
* "Did Big Media Run Fake Headlines on the Deutsche Bank 'Settlement'?" (2016-12-29, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/2eatu]
* "The Guardian’s Summary of Julian Assange’s Interview Went Viral and Was Completely False" (2016-12-29, theintercept.com) [archive.is/PI8hC], referring to a monopolist newspaper in the UKGB.
* "Uninformed or Misinformed: The Modern Media Dilemma" (2016-12-23, ivn.us) [archive.is/YNsm3]
USA FASCISM: Artificial Poverty and Starvation
* "In Every State, Minimum Wage Falls Far Short of a Living Wage; 'In urban and rural states across the country, the living wage is consistently far higher than the minimum wage, and higher than most people would guess' " (2016-12-28, peoplesaction.org) [archive.is/Zxojo]
USA Homeland's resident nations:
Nations exist alongside the Federal [archive.is/VXoPR], and State governance [archive.is/Cz2uF]. Demographic maps: 2000 [archive.is/nXHXz], 2010 [archive.is/nKbSA], religion [archive.is/XArBS]. The New Afrikan nation, and the nation of Nueva Aztlan, each have their own separate sections on this news page.
Sovereign nations of the "Indian Country", and of traditional lodges.
Map [archive.is/s4FYb]; News [indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com] [bsnorrell.blogspot.com]
* "Solidarity with the #NoDAPL Resistance" (2016-09-14, ideasandaction.info) [archive.is/uUSBl]
* "Buoyed by DAPL Fight, Canadian Chiefs Launch Legal Battle Against Enbridge Pipeline; Oil pipeline will face fierce opposition in Canada as well as in the United States, where the permitting process is currently underway" (2016-12-30, commondreams.org) [archive.is/EeXdx]
* "Standing Rock to the world: 10 indigenous and environmental struggles you can support in 2017" (2017-01-01, sacredstonecamp.org) [archive.is/WKAUt]
WORLD FASCISM WATCH
Documenting the global economic dictatorship
* "Artificial Intelligence Replacing Management At World’s Largest Hedge Fund" (2016-12-27, by Jake Anderson) [archive.is/TQ6UQ]
* " 'Financial Lockdown … ATMs Went Dry': 3 Police States Banning Cash To Control The People" (2016-12-27, by Mac Slavo) [archive.is/gmsh7]
* "Europe Proposes Confiscating Gold, Cash, Bitcoin, And Prepaid Cards To Fight 'Terrorist Financing' " (2016-12-27, by Claire Bernish) [archive.is/4Ar58]
* "Juncker ‘derailed EU reforms to curb tax avoidance’ as Luxembourg’s PM, leaked papers show" (2017-01-02, rt.com) [archive.is/IpEJX]
* "Apple owes 13 billion to the Irish state - solidarity means abolishing the tax avoidance 'republic' " (2016-12-24, wsm.ie) [archive.is/9Crvu]
* "Shhh! Don’t Tell this Bank Regulator We’ve Got a Derivatives Problem" (2016-12-28, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/iKvnR], chart source: Office of Comptroller of the Currency.
information collected by the
BAY AREA PEACE COUNCIL
[SolanoPeaceJustice.blogspot.com], for justice, dignity and human rights in accordance with the 1966 International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (.pdf) [is.gd/TftqGs], and an end to the USA's endless wars, in harmony with Principle 1 & 6 of International Law [archive.is/tmncz], the 5 protocols of the Convention on Conventional Weapons (CCW) [archive.is/LhUTj], and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights [archive.is/U1Ota].
* "Before & After in Aleppo and Why We Need an Antiwar Movement" (2016-12-28, wakingtimes.com) [archive.is/flyKw]
* "WORLD WAR THREE, BY MISTAKE; Harsh political rhetoric, combined with the vulnerability of the nuclear command-and-control system, has made the risk of global catastrophe greater than ever" (2016-12-23, newyorker.com) [archive.is/QC9JJ]
* "Thanks to Congress, Trump Will Have Nearly Unlimited Power to Wage War; 'Trump will have a free hand to use the law meant for the perpetrators of 9/11 to wage war around the world, fashioning it to different enemies at his command' " (2016-12-29, commondreams.org) [archive.is/TSSnW]
* "How to defeat the collective imperialism of the triad: Samir Amin, world-known economist, explains the reason of decadent condition of the modern economy and gives the recipe of the salvation from global imperialism. An exclusive interview for Katehon" (2016-09-01, katehon.com) [archive.is/yHzRu]
* Nuclear Resister E-Bulletin November/December 2016 (nukeresister.org) [archive.is/VVmyQ], including the following articles:
- "Sixteen activists carrying words and images of Daniel Berrigan arrested at pentagon witness" [is.gd/Rjq0jC]
- " 'Mary' and 'Joseph' arrested enacting Nativity scene at Hancock Drone Base" [is.gd/7JOvlI]
- "Drone protesters arrested while attempting citizen’s arrest of Creech AFB commander" [is.gd/wxYFC3]
* (2016-12-31, by Daryl Hannah, twitter.com/dhlovelife) [archive.is/6EHJ8]:
* "Eternal Hostility: A New Year’s Resolution" (2017-01-01, commondreams.org) [archive.is/KYAIu] [begin excerpt]: Poverty and racism clearly interact: Blacks and Latinos comprise 56% of the incarcerated population, yet only 30% of the U.S. population. A report documenting the rates of incarceration for whites, African Americans, and Hispanics in the Illinois state prison system notes that over half of this prison population is black. For every 100,000 people in the state, 1,533 black people are imprisoned as compared to 174 white people and 282 Hispanic people. The consequences of incarceration affect entire communities: former prisoners are restricted in terms of employment, their families are disrupted, housing becomes unstable, they become disenfranchised, and stigmas persist.
We must also consider gun violence in relation to U.S. militarism. Gun violence in Chicago is condemned, as it should be, and yet a message to every one of the 9,000 Chicago Public School children participating in U.S. military junior ROTC programs is that killing is acceptable if you are following orders. Killing of civilians by the U.S. military is considered regrettable but acceptable “collateral damage”. These killings eliminate “high value targets”. The mere suspicion of harboring a targeted person in a home, restaurant, or mosque becomes an excuse for an airborne drone attack to execute whole families or communities. Ironically, this policy enacts an airborne version of a drive-by shooting.
Soldiers who have seen combat are less likely to praise the virtues of military life. “The myth is that the military teaches discipline,” say the Chicago area Veterans for Peace, in their ‘education not militarization’ campaign. “The reality is that the military teaches children to follow orders without question and to use the military solution to conflict resolution – that is, death and destruction.” [end excerpt]
* "WFTU Statement on the Education of the Refugee Children" (2016-12-27, wftucentral.org) [archive.is/D0PsL]: The refugee children who have reached Europe during the last few years, coming from Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia and other countries, have urgent and specific needs of accommodation, security, health and hygiene and psychological support . The issue of education of the refugee children is of outmost importance, since addressing their aforementioned basic needs largely depends on their education.
Unfortunately, the situation in all host countries is the same: the percentage of refugee children who attend public schools is extremely low, since the responsibility for the management of the refugee issues, as well as the respective funding from the EU is given to various NGO’s, instead of being the responsibility of the State.
Moreover, the existing host structures for the refugees Education lack the necessary infrastructure, the adequate number of teaching stuff and social assistants, as well as the support of the teachers in order to face objective difficulties, such as the different educational level of children in a class, children that have never attended school at the age of 10 or 12 , psychological traumas, disobedience, difficulties in communication. It is crucial that the host countries, through their ministries of Education, direct the necessary funds to hire teaching staff and create the necessary infrastructures like the adequate teaching places and the publication of new special books for the refugee children.
For the refugee children, the teaching of their mother tongue is also essential, so that they can feel comfortable, communicate and smoothly integrate in the educational system.
Addressing of all the needs of refugees, like their need to move to their destination countries, quick examination of the applications for asylum, family reunification, examination of who will permanently stay in a host country will be measures of real support. The refugees and their children do not need the cosmopolitan philanthropy of the NGO’s nor the international pity. They are victims of the imperialistic wars and the capitalistic barbarity. They have the same enemy to face, as all workers in the world, and the same goal for a society without wars, refugees, unemployment and exploitation.
* "United Nations to stop reporting military casualties in Iraq" (2016-12-04, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/FuHlr]
NEW COLD WAR NEWS
* "2016 was full of major international events" (2016-12-31, katehon.com) [archive.is/arepO]
* "The New (Cold?) War With China" (2016-12-27, counterpunch.org) [archive.is/yG9CC]
* "The Islamic State had no reason to attack the Turkish nightclub…but the CIA-NATO-MOSSAD did; The Future of the World Revolves Around Turkey" (2017-01-01, themillenniumreport.com) [archive.is/9RWLH]
* NewColdWar.org Information Bulletin, Vol 1 #20, Dec 28, 2016 (newcoldwar.org) [archive.is/xEuBV]
* NewColdWar.org Information Bulletin, Vol 1 #22, Dec 31, 2016 (newcoldwar.org) [archive.is/XCjyJ]
* "Escalating the Risky Fight with Russia" (2016-12-28, consortiumnews.com) [archive.is/HMoku]
* "Russian creativity in the "Great World War" in Syria" (2017-01-02, by Youssef A. Khaddour, katehon.com) [archive.is/A7dPR] [begin excerpt]: First of all we have to accept that Russia is leading today an alliance, which consists of countries and forces that are fighting terrorism in Syria. I adopted the name "Axis of Values" for this alliance in a previous article, because the common factor in this alliance is not the religion or the sect or the common ideology, but the values. It has become clear for all countries and forces in this "Axis of Values" that, the current battle in Syria is a global war led by USA, and many European and regional countries are participating in it, but they all moved far from the values of freedom, democracy, human rights and state sovereignty guaranteed by international law. All these values became victims in the Syrian "Great World War" as a result of the behaving of an alliance claims that it holds these values but it practices something does not have any relation to these Values. When we talk about countries in the alliance led by the USA, we do not mean the people in these countries, but the governments representing the ruling elites in these countries.
I have used the term "Great World War", "quoting the writer Michael Awad" for the accuracy of this term in describing the Syrian war, it's a global war in all meanings and trends, global more than the first and the second world wars, both in terms of period or in terms of participation of great powers in this war, or in terms of equipment used and in terms of quality and numbers of the participants in this war, and finally in terms of affecting the future of the whole world, the impact of the effects cannot be ignored at the regional and international levels. [end excerpt]
* "Returning Abkhazia, South Ossetia Main Priorities of Georgia's Foreign Policy; Restoring control over Abkhazia and South Ossetia, accession to the European Union and NATO, as well deepening cooperation with the United States and maintaining current policy toward Russia are Georgia's main priorities in foreign policy, the resolution "About Foreign Policy" adopted by the Georgian parliament said" (2016-12-30, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/y6Eu9]:
A total of 91 out of 150 lawmakers voted for the resolution adopted on Thursday. The document was proposed by the ruling party Georgian Dream.
"The main foreign policy goal for Georgia is to assert the country’s sovereignty, de-occupation by peaceful means, restoring trust of people living across the boundary line and restoring Georgian territorial integrity through consolidation of the international community’s support," the resolution said.
According to the document, Georgian accession to NATO and the European Union is the country’s foreign policy priority that has no alternatives.
"The goal of the Georgian leadership is also to deepen cooperation with the main strategic partner of the country – the United States … Georgia will also continue rational and principle policy toward Russia," the resolution said.
Georgia is also planning to continue its active participation in various international organizations and fulfill its commitments aimed at ensuring peace and security as well as countering terrorism and organized crime.
Abkhazia and South Ossetia declared independence from Georgia in the early 1990s. In August 2008, Georgia launched a military offensive against South Ossetia and partially destroyed its capital of Tskhinvali. Russia sent troops to South Ossetia trying to protect local residents, many of whom had Russian citizenship. After five days of hostilities, Russia managed to expel Georgian troops from the breakaway region. In late August, Russia recognized the independence of Abkhazia and South Ossetia.
* "Georgia Considers Referendum on Renaming South Ossetia to Alania Illegitimate; Georgia condemns South Ossetia’s initiative to hold a referendum on the republic renaming to Alania and considers the process illegitimate, Georgia's Minister for Reconciliation and Civil Equality Ketevan Tsikhelashvili said Friday" (2016-12-30, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/JHvSO], photo caption: The Parliament of the Republic of South Ossetia in Tskhinval.
* "Russia Reaffirms Recognition of South Ossetia and Abkhazia" (2013-07-27, strategic-culture.org) [archive.is/gmadU]
Map of South Ossetia [archive.is/tGUko], in relation to the Federation of Russia [archive.is/46eVJ], during the war against the Republic of Georgia, 2008 [archive.is/Gvzw4] [archive.is/uJzk5].
In the following propaganda map, one may notice that the call to "Stop Russian Occupation" is not being made by the people of the nations being protected against USA sponsored aggression.
For example, the regions labeled Crimea and "Separatist controlled" are ethnic Russian who were either attacked or feared attack by the USA-funded coup during 2014 (the Republic of Ukraine being a pluri-national state government jurisdiction encompassing 3 nations). The people of the dominant culture of the Republic of Georgia did not necessarily support the death squad invasion against the People of the Republic of South Ossetia, who, or course, are not ethnically of the Georgia people.
* "The Cradle of Russophobia" (2017-01-04, by James George Jatras, katehon.com) [archive.is/wvmU6]: If I can say a few words, by the way, about the hostility towards Russia that one finds here in the United States and maybe in the West in general:
This is a very complex phenomenon. I think a lot of people simply assume this is a Cold War “hangover,” that people don't realize that the Soviet Union and communism don’t exist anymore. And I think that is a part of the problem with some small segment of the population, especially some conservatives who are not particularly well-informed – but I don't think it's the major problem.
Russophobia in the West goes back a very long time, as we know, well before the October Revolution of 1917. Part of it is, of course, that Russia is a very big, powerful country, and some people are maybe just naturally afraid of it.
But from my perspective there is something much deeper there. Unfortunately it starts with the difference between the Byzantine and Orthodox cultural heritage on the one side, versus the direction that Western Europe took first with Roman Catholicism and later with the Reformation and the Enlightenment. Therefore, from that perspective, and from my analysis, Orthodox civilization has always been something that Westerners don't quite know what to make of. They know it's “wrong” because it doesn't share the same values as the direction that Western civilization took. But on the other hand it's not like East Asia, or Africa, or Latin America where they feel a “multicultural” need to show tolerance and understanding or even to recognizing that those other values are “superior to ours” in some way. The Byzantine cultural matrix is something that is seen as an approximation of the West but “deficient” in some way, and I think that affects their attitude towards Russia, which is the powerful Orthodox country – very big and scary for many people.
Finally you have to put it in the contemporary geopolitical context where the United States had emerged after the Cold War as a hyper-power willing to rule the world. For a while they thought of Russia as simply the puppet that it was under Yeltsin. But it became clear with Vladimir Putin that it would not be a puppet anymore but it would assert its own interests. Of course, that became intolerable because then they had somebody not only asserting interests but also capable of defending those interests. That situation upsets many people from the ruling establishment here in the United States
* "Liberation of Aleppo represents US's most serious setback in 15 years: professor" (2016-12-21, by Prof. Tim Anderson of University of Sydney, Australia, via english.khamenei.ir) [archive.is/LZRxL] [begin excerpt]: The liberation of Aleppo, Syria’s second city and an ancient marvel, represents the most serious setback for the 15-year long Washington-led aggression on the entire region. An effective re-colonization of the region has stretched from Afghanistan to Libya, under a range of false pretexts. Invasions and proxy wars have been backed by economic sanctions and wild propaganda.
But this great war of aggression - called the creation of ‘New Middle East’ by former US President George W. Bush - has hit a rock in Syria. The massive proxy armies bought and equipped by Washington and its regional allies the Saudis, Turkey, Qatar and Israel, have been beaten back by a powerful regional alliance which supports the Syrian nation.
The endgame in Aleppo involves a handful of foreign agents - US, Saudi, Israeli and others – said to remain with the last al-Qaeda groups in a tiny part of what was once their stronghold. The US in particular is keen to secure their release, because their presence is further evidence of the foreign command of what was claimed to be a ‘civil war’.
After a storm of western government and media misinformation (claims of massacres, mass executions and ‘civilians targeted’) over the evacuation of around 100,000 civilians and many thousands of terrorists, the UN Security Council authorized some ‘independent observers’ to monitor the process. However most of that evacuation is now over. Resettlement and reconstruction is already underway, and army reserves have been called up to defend the city.
Syrian, Iranian, Russian and independent reporters (including Maytham al Ashkar, Shadi Halwi, Asser Khatab, Khaled Alkhateb, Ali Musawi, Lizzie Phelan, Murad Gazdiev, Vanessa Beeley, Eva Bartlett and the late Mohsen Khazaei) have already told us quite a lot. What they said bore little resemblance to the western apocalyptic stories. For example, outgoing UN Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon, a close ally of Washington, claimed in his last press conference that 'Aleppo is now a synonym for hell'. Those claims were based on stories from NATO’s desperate fighters.
Reporters on the ground told a different story. As Syrian forces smashed the al Qaeda lines, the trapped civilians streamed out. They published video of long lines of people leaving east Aleppo and finding relief, food and shelter with the Syrian Arab Army. Tired and relieved, they told their stories to anyone who cared to listen. Russia and Iran gave many tons of food, clothing, blanket and shelter aid. By contrast, western countries generally gave nothing and the terror groups rejected all aid from the Syrian alliance.
Civilians were prohibited from leaving the al-Qaeda enclave, many were shot dead when they tried to do so. The armed gangs had food reserves but kept it for their fighters. Arms factories including toxic chemicals were found and were being made safe. Some of the armed men were taken into custody, but most were shipped out to Idlib, where Damascus has been concentrating the foreign-backed fighters.
When the hell canons fell silent, and no more home-made gas cylinder mortars landed in the heart of the city, there was elation and dancing in the streets, shown widely on social media. The US State Department spokesman claimed he had not seen this.
Al Qaeda in Aleppo was crushed. All the anti-Syrian government armed groups in Aleppo were either the ‘official’ al Qaeda in Syria (Jabhat al Nusra aka Jaysh Fateh al Sham) or deeply embedded associates. When the US pretended to suppress Jabhat al Nusra in 2012 and 2016, all the ‘Free Syrian Army’ groups protested, saying ‘we are all Jabhat al Nusra’. One might have thought that the US Government - which once claimed to be engaged in a global war against terrorism, in the name of 3,000 people murdered in New York back in September 2001 - would be as elated as those on the streets of Aleppo. They were not.
Much of the western media, reflecting their governments, solemnly reported on ‘the fall of Aleppo’. The Syrian victory over the al Qaeda groups was a great tragedy, they said. On the other hand, the near simultaneous recapture of Syria’s ancient city of Palmyra, by the eastern al Qaeda group ISIS, was reported differently. That city was said to have been ‘retaken’.
All this underlines what should have been an obvious point, admitted by many US officials, that every single armed group in Syria (whether ‘moderate’ or ‘extremist’) has been armed and financed by the US and its allies, in an attempt to overthrow the Syrian Government. All the talk about ‘moderate rebels’, a ‘brutal regime’ and a ‘civil war’ just tries to hide this. [end excerpt]
And a word from a USA State Dept. beneficiary [archive.is/kwpsr]...
* "Armed Rebels and Middle-Eastern Power Plays: How the U.S. Is Helping to Kill Peace in Syria; The U.S. government has escalated violence in Syria by providing rebels with equipment and intelligence" (2012-10-29, alternet.org) [archive.is/RgHxq]
* "CIA, FBI, DHS and ODNI Sued for Records on Russian Interference in 2016 Election" (2016-12-27, sparrowmedia.net) [archive.is/y2kzN]
* "How an evidence-free CIA finding alleging Russian interference in the US election was turned into an indisputable ‘truth’ " (2016-12-17, by Stephen Gowans) [archive.is/klfWh]
* "U.S., MSM Claims Of Russian Hacking Lack One Important Ingredient … Evidence" (2017-01-02, by Brandon Turbeville) [archive.is/qh0MQ]
* "Why Crowdstrike’s Russian Hacking Story Fell Apart- Say Hello to Fancy Bear" (2017-01-03, washingtonsblog.com) [archive.is/YHoIq]
* "Critics Still See Holes in US 'Evidence' of Russian Election Interference ; 'Like the Bush administration's claims of Iraqi WMDs, the charges that Russia 'hacked' the presidential election in November have not been established beyond secret intelligence sources' " (2016-12-30, commondreams.org) [archive.is/2PCCc]
* "Poroshenko Wants Good Relations With Trump After Spending a Year Sabotaging Him; Sensing an impending shift in US policy toward Ukraine following President-elect Trump's inauguration later this month, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko is doing his best to try to preserve Kiev's strategic partnership with Washington. The question is whether Trump can forgive Kiev for openly trying to sabotage his election campaign" (2017-01-03, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/N6xkL]
* "Did a Ukrainian University Student Create Grizzly Steppe?" (2017-01-03, antifasistit.blogspot.nl) [archive.is/dBnWu]
* "I FOUND THE UKRAINIAN HACKER WHO CRACKED #DNC!" [archive.is/NjvTx]: He is 25 years old and lives in Zaporizhia. He did not actually break into the DNC servers but maybe wrote the #ATP28 tool that was supposedly used in the hack. I know his name, email address, phone number. What should I do with the information? Publish it here openly or pass it on to someone who would confidentially interview him? The only thing the DNC leak proves is that Ukraine is Russia. There is no such thing as an "Ukrainian hacker". Hacking is an intellectual endeavor and therefore best done in Russian. Read more, "US Govt Data Shows Russia Used Outdated Ukrainian PHP Malware" (2016-12-30, wordfence.com) [archive.is/KKuHx].
* "Russia Hysteria Infects WashPost Again: False Story About Hacking U.S. Electric Grid" (2016-12-31, theintercept.com) [archive.is/8afSr]
* "Russian consul general in SF calls expulsions ‘not humane’ " (2016-12-30, sfgate.com) [archive.is/H9Lv5]
* "Army’s brain: Russia’s ‘colossal’ supercomputer helps predict wars, defense minister says" (2016-12-31, rt.com) [archive.is/t8m8U] [begin excerpt]: A “colossally powerful” supercomputer installed at Russia’s military headquarters helps the country’s armed forces tackle emerging threats by analyzing previous conflicts, such as the Yugoslavian war and the like, Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu said.
The supercomputer is a key part of the headquarters’ IT infrastructure and is so powerful that the military uses less than half of its capacity, Shoigu told Rossiya 24 TV channel, which filmed a documentary about Russia’s National Defense Management Center (NDMC).
“It has open architecture – you can add or remove specific elements, build up, increase and expand its capacities, it has plenty of them,” the minister said.
The center’s supercomputer was designed to predict the development of current or future wars by analyzing the current security environment and drawing conclusions from past conflicts. It not only stores data on all major wars and conflicts, but also helps predict upcoming ones, Shoigu explained. [...]
The supercomputer has a storage capacity of 236 petabytes, or 236,000 terabytes, according to Rossiya 24. Shoigu told RIA Novosti in 2014 when the HQ was inaugurated that its storage capacity exceeds that of the Pentagon 19-fold.
He added that the giant machine can process “50 Russian State Libraries [worth of data] per second,” referring to the country’s largest library with its collection of over 17 million books, making it the fourth largest in the world.
The NDMC is the Russian military’s highest command-and-control hub. According to open sources, it connects all army units, overseas facilities, and the General Staff into one ecosystem, while providing tremendous situational awareness for commanders. [end excerpt]
NEW COLD WAR NEWS
* "US sends 3,600 tanks against Russia - Massive NATO deployment underway" (2017-01-04, dninews.com) [archive.is/NFksM]
* "Ukrainian MIC Will Launch Production on its Territory of US Weapons" (2017-01-03, Life.ru, translated by Ollie Richardson) [archive.is/LKfH7]: The M16 rifle may become the first joint project of Ukroboronservice and arms producers from the US.
The management of the Ukrainian state enterprise “Ukroboronprom” has reported that it has concluded a memorandum of cooperation with the American company Aeroscraft on the production of small arms of NATO standards on the territory. The details of the Agreement weren’t disclosed yet, but, according to 112 TV channel, the start of production of the M16 automatic rifles may become the first project.
“The automatic M16 rifle of the WAC47 model will become the first weapon that during the pilot project will be made in Ukraine. The production of the weapon according to NATO standards is an important part of the development and reforming of the Ukrainian Oboronprom,” quotes the TV channel from the words of the head of Ukroboronprom Sergey Mikityuk.
It should be noted that whether the produced weapons will go towards the needs of the Ukrainian army and whether it will be used in the conflict in Donbass, is unknown so far. However this agreement is not the first attempt of the Ukrainian military industrial complex and the UAF to be closer to NATO standards. But as of now everything has been limited to deliveries of equipment and non-lethal arms by western countries to Ukraine. However, quality of the equipment has raised big questions among the Ukrainian military.
* "Building Totalitarianism in Europe – The last coup of Victoria Nuland" (2017-01-03, by Dimitris Konstantakopoulos, katehon.com) [archive.is/XCzc8] [begin excerpt]:
Victoria Nuland, the US Assistant Secretary of State, did not spend much time and energy with Christmas and New Year celebrations this year. She has another very urgent and pressing problem to solve, before leaving the State Department, and this is the “Cyprus conflict”. The way she wants to solve this conflict is by transforming a second member of the EU, after Greece, into a protectorate. As the proposed solution for Cyprus is higlhy unstable, powers outside the EU will be provided also with a bomb inside it, that is with the possibillity of provoking a Bosnian-type conflict inside, not outside EU borders.
In the same time she wants also to get Turkey admitted immediately to the EU, by the window of the “Cypriot settlement”. By virtue of the provisions of the “Cyprus settlement” under consideration now, Turkey is invested after January 12 with many of the rights and powers (and none of the obligations) of the member-states. It will also legalize in Geneva, its military presence and its right to intervene militarily inside the European Union.
Such an outcome of the Geneva conference will have enormous strategic consequences for Europe and for the Middle East, transforming the whole “Eastern Meditarranean”, a sea lane of vital importance, into a kind of “Mare Nostrum” of the “Naval Forces”, excluding from there any “foreign” strategic influence (German, Russian or Chinese) and laying one more foundation for encircling Russia from the South with a kind of “security belt” and trying to hinder its access to the “warm seas”, a centuries long dream of British imperial planners. It will constitute the deeper change of the Mediterranean strategic landscape, since the eruption of the so-called Eastern Question or, at least, since the Greek national revolution, two centuries ago.
Annan Plan – Creating a Frankestein “state” in Cyprus -
The type of settlement Mrs. Nuland wants to impose on Cyprus is a new version of the Annan Plan, rejected by the overwhelming majority of Cypriots during the 2004 referendum, in spite of enormous pressure they had suffered and a real terror campaign against them, warning the day of Doom would come on the aftermath of a No vote. The Annan Plan is violating all essential provisions of European, International and Constitutional Law, including the UN Charter. In the light of its provisions, it represents the most comprehensive effort undertaken, since the defeat of Nazism, in 1945, to impose a totalitarian system in any western country.
The Annan plan is instituting a kind of Frankestein state in Cyprus, where, among other things, the rule of majority (democracy) will be formally abolished, where there will be permanent vetos of the two Cypriot communities in every level of decision making and in all branches of power (executive, legislative, judicial), and, in the very probable case that system would be brought to an impasse, foreign judges will decide everything. In reality, the new “state” will be governed by foreign judges, concentrating upon themselves, three centuries after Montesqieu, all powers.
The solution provides for imposing to the new “state” a complete disarmament status, that is forbid it from the right of self-defense and the means to exercise it (an army). And do it in a permanent terms, not as a temporary measure, as it happened with Germany and Japan after the 2kd World War. In Orwellian terms, this is called “Cyprus demilitarized”. In reality there will be many traffic problems there provoked, because of the military vehicles of Britain, Turkey, other NATO countries and Police cars from various “Christian and Muslim countries” which will be present there. Britain and Turkey will have the legal right to intervene militarily inside a territory of the European Union.
“Fuck” Referendums -
Mrs. Nuland does not want to wait for any referendum. She knows that she can hardly win a second referendum in Cyprus (or in any other European country these times) on such terms. She has no time, she leaves the State Department on the 20th of January and she wants to end her career with a triumph, that is succeeding where MacMillan, Johnson, Kissinger, Bush, Annan, before her, failed miserably. There are also more essential reasons she wants to solve (or to create?) now this problem. Both the Greek and the European crises may enter a new and more dramatic phase next year. As for the Middle East, adjacent to Cyprus, it is waiting now for a Big Deal or a Big War. [end excerpt]
NATO Watch - Articles reflecting the views of war planners
* "We need to talk: The past, present, and future of U. S. nuclear weapons policy" (2017-01-02, by Francis J. Gavin, warontherocks.com) [archive.is/A1lX8]
* "Five giant leaps for robotkind: Expanding the possible in autonomous weapons" (2016-12-28, warontherocks.com) [archive.is/JAJ4D]
* "It is high time to outmaneuver Beijing in the South China Sea" (2016-12-28, by Ross Babbage, warontherocks.com) [archive.is/rPJpK]
* "Duterte, dictatorships, and Southeast Asian strategy" (2016-12-27, warontherocks.com) [archive.is/kHlBC]
NATO Watch - Weapons for a New World Order
* "Why connecting all the world’s robots will drive 2017’s top technology trends" (2016-12-28, by Tom Garner, Research Fellow, School of Creative Technologies, University of Portsmouth) [archive.is/r4BJS]
NATO Watch - Militarization of Space
* "Orbital ATK completes Zombie Pathfinder target test for U.S. Army" (2016-12-22, UPI Newswire) [is.gd/groXrY]: Orbital ATK completed its first demonstration for its next-generation Zombie Pathfinder short-range ballistic missile target for the U.S. Army.
Zombie Pathfinder targets are designed to represent a different class of threats, allowing the U.S. Army and other partners to test a variety of weapons. The first demonstration took place at White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico.
The project supports NASA's Sounding Rocket Program, a 40-year effort to develop solutions for carrying scientific instruments and other payloads into space along a parabolic trajectory. Orbital ATK Technical Services Division vice president John Pullen called the demonstration a milestone for the program.
"We're delighted with the flight test and look forward to working closely with the Army to further realize the vision of the Zombie Pathfinder program," he said in a press release. "Orbital ATK has been at the forefront of providing low cost targets and we anticipate this market as a growth area. This successful demonstration reinforces our ability to provide affordable and reliable ongoing operational support in the future."
Orbital ATK has operated the Zombie Pathfinder for the U.S. Army and NASA since 2010. The company has since clinched five target missions, and expects additional orders in the future. A demonstration for targets capable of longer ranges is scheduled for 2018.
NEW COLD WAR NEWS
World Context & Events
Including information on Institutions of Self-Government not recognized by the United Nations, as defined by the USA State Dept.'s legal statement supporting unilateral declarations of independence (2009-07) (.pdf) [is.gd/6MJUTQ], and by the UN International Court (2010-07-22) [archive.is/mc6sX], recognizing the jurisdictions of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) (.pdf) [is.gd/ek1oFs] including EEZ territorial boundaries [archive.is/wl8Oj], the Antarctic Treaty System (ATS) [archive.is/UtXrm].
Evaluated by Bay Area MPD Committees, serving as a 5th World News service [FifthWorldNews.blogspot.com], more news sites: [ww4report.com] [globalresearch.ca] [southfront.org] [fmso.leavenworth.army.mil] [corpwatch.org] [fpif.org]
Space Race: The Partitioning of Planets
The Outer Space Treaty (OST) [archive.is/CLCXG]
* "China to expand int'l cooperation on space sciences" (2016-12-28, Xinhua Newswire) [archive.is/0uKUN]
* "White paper sets out China's vision as a space power" (2016-12-28, Xinhua Newswire) [archive.is/cgK6M]
Global Anarchist vanguards & autonomous zones
[anarchistnews.org] [ainfos.ca] [libcom.org] [anarchiststudies.org] [a-revolt.org] [wsm.ie] [facebook.com/SolidarityTimes] [redblack.org] [cnt-f.org]
* "Euro-Mediterranean meetings, managed enterprises of all countries, unite!" (2016-12-08, alternativelibertaire.org, machine translation via Ainfos.ca Newswire) [archive.is/NhloW]
* "Netherlands: Interview with anarchists from Den Haag in Avalanche issue 9" (2016-12-31, via insurrectionnewsworldwide.com) [archive.is/5B2Jr]
United States of Mexico
* "Protests & looting across Mexico amid sudden 20% fuel price hike" (2016-01-05, rt.com) [archive.is/9G7my]
The Good Government and the EZLN ("Zapatistas")
[chiapas-support.org] [enlacezapatista.ezln.org.mx] [zeztainternazional.ezln.org.mx]
* "What’s living in freedom like? 1st anniversary of autonomy in Tila" (2016-12-30, radiozapatista.org, translated by UK Zapatista Translation Service) [archive.is/M8MnQ], also visit the original article page for photographs and audio recordings [is.gd/EJYfOD]. [begin excerpt]: The first hints of the sunrise appear behind the silhouette of the church on the top of the hill, and the semi-darkness of dawn is punctuated by hundreds of tiny lights. Community leaders, accompanied by about 40 people, then come into the room where we sleep. They light candles on the altar and sing songs of gratitude to the Lord of Tila for this year of autonomy and ask for wisdom, judgment, standards to face the difficulties to come. Copal smoke fills the room and the voices of dozens of people speaking Chol recall ejido Tila’s long struggle for its land and freedom.
It is December 16, 2016, and on a day like this, exactly one year ago, the ejido residents, tired of the injustice of the so-called Mexican “justice” system, turned a near century-long fight into reality. Three months earlier, on 16 September 2015, thousands of residents marched from the ejido house to the central plaza in the town of Tila. There they placed a ladder up the facade of the town hall building and several people went up to the balconies. They hung a banner remembering the disappeared people from Ayotzinapa. They demanded the town hall authorities leave the area and an end to police and paramilitary harassment. From the balcony, the ejido Tila authorities gave the shout of Independence. And below, thousands of indignant voices repeated over and over: “If there is no solution, there will be demolition!”
Three months later, on 16 December 2015, the chant became real. The ejido residents, fed up with decades of abuse and the inaction of the Mexican State, decided to expel the people from the town hall themselves. Since the mid-twentieth century, the town hall had illegally positioned themselves in the ejido’s territory, and their expulsion meant the ejido recovered 130 hectares that the municipal government had been trying to take from them. The town hall, which had done so much damage for so long, was destroyed. The big clock on the top of the facade was broken to bits, and so stopped “Kaxlán” (white people or Mexican mestizo) time, a time that had been imposed by Mexican authorities, a time of institutional dispossession and violence. And so began another time, an indigenous Chol time, the time of freedom. Tila’s miracle had come true.
It’s true that in Tila miracles happen, after all thousands of people don’t come here each year in pilgrimage for nothing. But Tila’s miracles don’t fall from the sky, they are made with blood, sweat and tears … and also lots of joy. The miracle of autonomy has been meticulous and tenacious work. After pushing out the town hall, the ejido residents organised themselves according to their practices and customs, and then began carrying out all the necessary activities to administer their 5,405 hectare territory. With contributions from the ejido Tila residents, they bought a truck and organised groups to collect the rubbish. They established a community-watch group, and organised all the neighbourhoods and outlying areas to ensure the community’s security. They developed a system of autonomous justice and began to resolve the numerous cases that under the authority of town hall had remained unpunished. They organised festivals, the ejido assembly became the highest authority, and delinquency, once ignored by official complicity, drastically decreased.
One year after this miracle of autonomy, another miracle took place: on 15 December, the radio station “the Miracle of Tila” began to broadcast “from some place in the ejido Tila”. On the radios at home, and from the village’s public announcement system, the ejido’s story of struggle was heard. Stories about the actions of a handful of opponents who had been doing their best to destroy the community’s autonomy, all so they could reclaim their town hall privileges like access to illicit funds, dirty business, and impunity. Girls and boys, young women and men, old women and men came to give their accounts. Messages via facebook and whatsapp arrived from people excited about the community’s new beginning. Songs of solidarity and greetings from groups that had come for the celebration were also heard.
Celebrations began around 11 in the morning with an address from the ejido commission and other traditional authorities in the central plaza, in front of the demolished town hall. Two delegates from the National Indigenous Congress (NIC) also took part. They had travelled from Campeche and Oaxaca/Veracruz. There they explained again the proposal of the NIC and the EZLN to establish an Indigenous Government Council at a national level whose voice and face will be an indigenous woman running as an independent candidate in the next presidential elections. This proposal resonated in the hearts of the ejido residents because as the NIC delegate explained “Here the earth has already shaken because the indigenous people are the ones who govern”. [end excerpt]
Selection of photos [archive.is/SK2Y5] [archive.is/vc2A7] [archive.is/J61Pb] [archive.is/9Kmex] [archive.is/K9GPS] [archive.is/MclQz] [archive.is/AqlEA] [archive.is/Z3F3W] [archive.is/06k4D] [archive.is/rMkuG] [archive.is/TuYVq] [archive.is/JOiKP] [archive.is/auiaS].
Republic of Honduras
COPINH's analysis of 2016 losses and 2017 possibilities -
* "New year, same indigenous resistance, new victories" (2017-01-01, copinhonduras) [archive.is/0XprQ] (translated 2017-01-02, with Presente-Honduras Digest, Vol 63, Issue 2):
The Civic Council of Popular and Indigenous Organizations of Honduras COPINH dismisses the year 2016 as one of the most painful years in our history of more than 23 years. The vile and still unpunished murder of our leader and general coordinator, Berta Isabel Cáceres Flores pains us deeply. The imprint left on our organization and on the Honduran social and popular movement is indelible and will always guide our actions of resistance against the reigning dictatorship in Honduras. The COPINH calls for the maintenance of force and decisive confrontation of the difficulties that are envisaged in 2017, framed in the resurgence of oppression and violence resulting from the aspirations of perpetuity in the government and institutions of the oligarchic scourge led by Juan Hernández.
Our organization is committed to pave the way to achieve the demands that all the Honduran people demand together with other organizations, which with real will of resistance and not of accommodation, want to build with us and us. Our efforts will be directed towards the unyielding struggle against the exploitation of the people and the sale and dispossession of our territories. COPINH, faithful to the legacy of our Berta, will continue to construct and propose alternatives for the development of dignified life forms, different from the hardships and humiliations offered by capitalism, racism and patriarchy. For this reason, we call for ceasing slander and stigmatization against our organization and our Lencas communities. It must be understood that we will never accept any kind of taxation on our territories and our communities.
2017 must be the year of Berta Cáceres' vindication and the expulsion of all those murderous and unconscious projects that pretend to take advantage of our natural assets to fill the pockets of the same parasites that we have suffered for more than 500 years. We do not believe in proposals for development that divide communities, deny our identity, trample our rights and murder our people. We believe in decisions about our destinies and future taken by our communities and for the real benefit of our children and our daughters. We are committed to autonomy, harmonious coexistence with our natural environment and the collective and liberating construction of communities. We call on the vindication of the life and struggle of Berta Cáceres in constant, clear and effective resistance in each of our hearts and our days, remembering with her, all and all who have given their lives for ours and for the humanity.
Zarca water will not pass!
The assassins of Berta Cáceres will not pass! Death projects will not happen! Berta Cáceres Live!
With the ancestral force of Berta, Iselaca, Lempira, Mota and Etempica, our voices are full of life, justice, dignity, freedom and peace!
Given the 31 days of December 2016 in Hope, Intibucá.
Berta Cáceres Case: Creation of GAIPE (International Group of Experts) to Collaborate with Investigation
(Tegucigalpa, 7 November 2016)
At the request of Berta Cáceres Flores’ family, and with support from the Civil Council of Popular and Indigenous Organizations of Honduras (COPINH), Gustavo Castro Soto and numerous other national and international organizations, the International Expert Advisory Panel (GAIPE) was created to investigate the assassination of Berta Caceres and attempted murder of Gustavo Castro who was in the house when she was killed on March 2, 2016 in La Esperanza, Honduras.
GAIPE’s primary objective is an independent, impartial, and objective examination of the attack. Additionally, GAIPE will investigate the context and modus operandi that gave rise to the indigenous rights activists’ murder and threats and violence against other members of COPINH. The panel consists of a team of specialists in international human rights, criminal, and comparative criminal law.
GAIPE will monitor the Honduran criminal investigation with a multicultural and gender perspective. The panel will also issue recommendations to guarantee that the facts are fully clarified and the victims receive comprehensive reparations for the harms suffered. Further, GAIPE seeks to improve local criminal investigations of threats and violence against human rights defenders throughout the country.
“We are making our experience and skills available to ensure that the truth is quickly revealed and there is justice in this case,” said Liliana Uribe, Colombian lawyer and spokesperson for the group.
The team consists of Liliana Uribe (Colombia), Miguel Ángel Urbina (Guatemala), Roxanna Altholz (United States), Daniel R. Saxon (Netherlands/United States), and Jorge Molano (Colombia). Each member has extensive experience and technical skills related to the investigation of human rights violations.
GAIPE arrived in Honduras on November 4th to meet with the Cáceres’ family and Gustavo Castro’s and Caceres’ legal teams, COPINH, and to establish a dialogue with national authorities and organizations, in addition to other stakeholders.
Garifuna nation within the Republic of Honduras
* "Honduras: Government-supported tourism pushes Garifuna maroons off their land of 200 years" (2016-12-30, by by Diana Bohn, member of the ‘Root Causes of Migration’ Pilgrimage to Honduras, via sfbayview.com) [archive.is/vWQwk]
Republic of Haiti
* "Resisting the lynching of Haitian liberty!" (2016-12-28, by Malaika Kambon, sfbayview.com) [archive.is/Thqfe]
Federation of Brazil
* "Brazil: 2016: a circus of horrors" (2016-12-29, alternativelibertaire.org, machine translation via Ainfos.ca Newswire) [archive.is/MnabS]
NEW AFRIKAN PEACE MOVEMENT newswire
[NewAfricaPeace.blogspot.com] An overview of Africa and the Diapora, with the Green Charter Committee, towards Pan-Afrikan Solidarity and Liberation!
* "Through the African prism: The Genesis" (2016-12-22, by Aaron D. Chiroma), page 1 [archive.is/IpQUI], page 2 [archive.is/B9SQy].
* "Controlling Africa with Western 'Democracy' " (2016-09-07, by Thomas C. Mountain) [archive.is/jPbv3]
* "Foreign Policy Diary – Arms and Drug Trafficking in Africa" (2016-03-15, katehon.com) [archive.is/Vev7o]
* "South Sudan’s total collapse could destroy Central and Eastern Africa" (2016-07-12, katehon.com) [archive.is/rjEnl]
European Union (EU) / NATO
Documenting economic and political trends across the EU jurisdictions, and international operations.
Maps: Homeland and overseas territories [archive.is/iqAFG], global Exclusive Economic Zone [archive.is/GJkE9]
* "German rail giant steps up 'Silk Road' freight line to China" (2016-12-29, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/VovJI]: German state rail operator Deutsche Bahn said Thursday it planned to significantly ramp up cargo transport to China following a record year, using the world's longest train line in a modern-day revival of the Silk Road route.
More than 40,000 containers were transported between the two countries in 2016, up from 35,000 a year earlier and "the largest volume of goods" moved on the iron link so far, Deutsche Bahn (DB) said in a statement.
"This is a good basis from which to increase the number of containers to about 100,000 by 2020," DB board member Ronald Pofalla said.
The trans-Eurasian rail stretch spans a distance of 10,000 to 12,000 kilometres (6,000-7,000 miles), passing through Poland, Belarus, Russia, Kazakhstan and Mongolia before stopping at several Chinese cities.
The journey takes 12 to 16 days, around half the time it would take for the goods to arrive by sea.
Air travel would be fastest but considerably more expensive.
The freight train service has proved especially popular with clients who require urgent but cost-efficient deliveries such as manufacturers of clothing, electronics and car parts, according to DB.
The Germany-China rail line began operating in 2008. Deutsche Bahn now has some 5,000 employees working in China through its freight subsidiary DB Schenker.
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (UKGB) (EU Member), including Wales, and relations with The "British" Commonwealth member states, the European Union, the USA, and NATO
* "Harrods staff demand full payment of tips; Harrods faces strikes and protests over ‘unfair’ tips policy" (2016-12-23, Politics.co.uk) [archive.is/Affxc]
* "7 January, Protest at Harrods: stop stealing your waiter’s tips!" (2016-12-23, classwarparty.org.uk) [archive.is/XQrjv] [begin excerpt]:
Harrods steals up to 75% of the 12.5% service charge it adds to the bills of diners in its luxury restaurants, in which a steak can cost up to £300.
That 75% means that every year the Qatari royal family, which owns Harrods, is taking up to £5,000 worth of tips from every chef, waiter and porter. Taking any percentage of the service charge, which customers think is going to the waiters, is unacceptable. Taking up to 75% is an utter disgrace.
Furthermore, Harrods refuses to disclose what their exact percentage is.
Since UVW, which represents the chefs and waiters at Harrods, threatened to engage in a robust campaign of direct and industrial action until 100% of the service charge goes to the staff, Harrods has promised to increase the share going to staff.
Whilst a pay rise for nearly 500 workers is always welcome, especially at Christmas time, the chefs and waiters deserve 100% of the service charge and we must fight until that they ar given a 100%!
There are also other problems that plague the workers at Harrods’ esteemed culinary department. For example, the waiters are on the minimum, poverty wage or a few pennies more, plus they’re understaffed and overworked.
About United Voices of the World the union
UVW is a grassroots trade union comprised almost entirely of low-paid migrant workers.
Call: 07775 697 605
Republic of Greece (EU Member)
* "Manifestation against the 'sub-minimum wage' " (machine translation, 2017-01-01, via Ainfos.ca Newswire) [archive.is/XNfVa]
* "Athens, Greece: Attack against an OPKE unit in Exacheia" (2016-12-30, insurrectionnewsworldwide.com) [archive.is/E4w61]
Republic of Ukraine (EU / NATO associate state)
* "Senator Graham Literally Rubs His Hands Together in Anticipation of Profit in Donbass" (2017-01-03, Politnavigator.net, translated by Ollie Richardson & Angelina Siard) [archive.is/rZ197]
* "The nationalisation of Ukraine PrivatBank: how two oligarchs bankrupted a nation" (2016-12-29, gefira.org) [archive.is/Km59Y] [begin excerpt]:
PrivatBank used to be Ukraine’s largest bank with 20% of the banking sector and $53bn assets [archive.is/C4kih].Its history is quite unusual for the country’s realities because it:
- was one of the first private banks (formed in 1992);
- was the first bank to introduce plastic cards and ATMs;
- was the first Ukrainian financial institution to receive an international rating (Thomson BankWatch International Rating Agency, Fitch IBCA);
- was the first Ukrainian bank to have opened its International Banking Unit in Cyprus in 1999;
introduced electronic banking in 2001;
- received STP Excellence Award from Deutsche Bank in 2003.
In 2015, 12 Ukrainian banks lost their licenses, and 14 have been placed under temporary administration. That came after 17 banks had lost their licenses in 2014. Even in the times of the overall economic crisis in Ukraine when millions of people lost their deposits in other banks, PrivatBank continued to be the most trusted financial institution. But finally, the bank was nationalised, having been earlier accused by the National Bank of Ukraine of having a capital shortage of around $5.65bn [archive.is/C4kih].
Surprisingly, the bank’s main stakeholder, Ihor Kolomoyskyi, the second richest person in Ukraine [archive.is/gJ5N6], did not raise any objections to the government’s move. In March 2014 Ihor Kolomoysky was nominated governor of the Dnipropetrovsk Oblast. In March 2015 Ukrainian Parliament wrested from him his controlling shareholding of the state-owned enterprise Ukrnafta [archive.is/fpsew]. In response he ordered his private militia to storm the Ukrtransnafta’s Kiev headquaters, calling the government action a ‘raider takeover’ and blaming it on the president. In a few days the situation was solved, but it brought two Ukrainian oligarchs – President Petro Poroshenko and Ihor Kolomoyskyi – into conflict, while the country held its breath. After these events, Ihor Kolomomoyski stepped down as governor of the Dnipropetrovsk Oblast and left the country.
Ihor Kolomoysky is also well-known to European entrepreneurs. The French corporation Swissport accused Kolomoysky of illegal confiscation of its majority stake in its Ukraine subsidiary. Also, the Crimea authorities accused Kolomoyskyi of plundering the deposits of 200.000 Crimeans.
Ihor Kolomoysky and Gennady Bogolubov are a driving financial force of the European Jewish community. The former is the founding father of the European Jewish Parliament, the latter bragged at the international conference of Shluchim about his donations worth millions of euros to the Jewish community, money that probably belonged to the Ukraine depositors, and he even pleaded for more money requests from the audience (see video "PrivatBank owner distributing depositors money at International Conference of Shluchim") [is.gd/NOzcV3].
Gennady Bogolubov generosity during International Conference of Shluchim, bragging he donated millions to the Jewish community.
The “bad loans” share in the PrivatBank’s portfolio was assessed at 97% by the regulator and at 80% by market participants. While 97% of PrivateBank corporate loans had gone to companies linked to its two owners and principal shareholders, Gennady Bogolubov and Igor Kolomoisky (they had over 90% of the shares), the bank was not quick in granting credit to ordinary citizens and small companies.
The bank’s leadership has illegally transferred $2bn abroad as part of sham import contracts over the past two years alone. This did not prevent Poroshenko from pledging not to prosecute the bank’s infamous owners. Kolomoyskyi is even rumoured to have his losses compensated for by an amendment to the tax code adopted on 20 December, one day after the PrivatBank was nationalised. The amendment reduces oil field operation charges by almost a half, and Kolomoyskyi held large stakes in Ukraine’s oil industry.
The above-mentioned conflicts did not hinder the leading oligarchs from agreeing to the said major financial decision for the country because politicians, like Poroshenko, depend on the Kolomoyskyi Media Group for their reelection. The only losers in the deal are Ukrainians who will pay for the bank’s problems through the financing from the National Bank of Ukraine. [...]
NBU sources say that Kolomoyskyi has committed to a three-year plan that could mean a repay of up to $5.3 billion in unpaid insider loans to cover the PrivatBank losses. Given the history of Kolomoiskyi’s shifting financial obligations to the state, his vast business holdings in airlines, media and oil, and his extensive political connections, many remain sceptical whether the oligarch will return the money and whether the power of the oligarchs will be contained. [...]
To put the 5.5 billion rescue program into perspective, the whole foreign exchange reserves of the Ukrainian state stands at around $16-24bn. Consequently, two Jewish Ukrainian oligarchs managed to drain, or steal, the amount of money which equals 1/3 of the total of the Ukrainian foreign exchange reserve, making the country extremely vulnerable to speculative attacks. Presently, the bank is completely insolvent, however filing for bankruptcy will trigger unrest in the country.
Petro Poroshenko has already arranged for a $5,5bn loan from IMF to settle such significant indebtedness and to prevent a new popular revolt at Maidan. Meanwhile, Ukraine’s foreign debt will continue to grow as a liability for the next generations. Under Ukrainian conditions, corrupt officials will probably escape the prosecution. That’s what is called fighting corruption. The international community also accepts the corrupt oligarchs in Ukraine because they have the experience and the right skills to work with foreign donors.
Therefore, with all its logical advantages and international support, the nationalisation of PrivatBank remains a very controversial event in Ukraine’s banking history. The consequences are tough to predict. Although similar processes have been seen in many other states, it does not mean that it will succeed under Ukrainian conditions. The biggest part of success will depend on the desire of Ukraine’s governors to actually fight the corruption and the international pressure into the corrupt officials to do so.” [end excerpt]
* "This is How “Fighters” Against the “Anti-People Regime” of Yanukovych Celebrate New Year" (2017-01-02, Facenews.ua, translated by Ollie Richardson & Angelina Siard) [archive.is/UVSWu]
* "SBU Hunts Down Distributors of Leaflets Against the Regime of Poroshenko" (2017-01-02, Politnavigator.net, translated by Ollie Richardson) [archive.is/nBeCK]
* "Ukrainian Minister Called for the Reburial of Bandera and Shukhevych in Kiev" (2017-01-03, Life.ru, translated by Ollie Richardson) [archive.is/rgyIV]
* "Portrait of Bandera on Kiev City Council Building Causes an Uproar" (2017-01-02, Politobzor.net, translated by Ollie Richardson & Angelina Siard) [archive.is/X3zUm]
* "Banderists Want the Continuation of the “Revolution” & the Expelling of Jews" (2017-01-04, Fondsk.ru, translated by Ollie Richardson & Angelina Siard) [archive.is/NfS3T], attached video [is.gd/hzcFDA]:
“At the time of holiday there is no desire to write about the ugly. But the reality that is shown on the air of all TV channels of Ukraine causes horror and confusion to at least ten million of the population, as to me. Torchlight procession of the Nazi-Banderists, brought mainly by buses from the Western regions, is a nightmare that lasts for several years. Looking at the screen, I see how the torches of the dozens marching from Shevchenko Boulevard to the Khreschatyk are extinguished by a strong gust of wind… the very nature of the ancient and eternal Kiev opposes the brown stench.
The fires are lit. The column continues to move like the stinking, red-hot magma of a volcano, poisoning and burning Orthodox love and freedom, the air of the once prosperous state,” wrote on his page on social networks the Kiev inhabitant Yury Dudkin.
This is probably the most accurate description of the so-called “march of honor”, which took place on 1st January in the Ukrainian capital and in several cities of Ukraine – on this day nationalists celebrate.the anniversary of the birth of Stepan Bandera (Stefan Popel), this time the 108th. And although many media outlets noted the “low attendance” of the event, which “traditionally” has for many years been held in Ukraine on the first day of each new year, but in reality everything is not so rosy.
In the ranks of Banderists just in Kiev several thousand participants of the march walked, some of which were brought from the Galician regions. Ten times fewer nationalists gathered in torchlight processions in other Ukrainian cities, however, “tradition” slithered to Odessa, Dnepr (former Dnepropetrovsk), Zaporizhzhia and even to Kherson and the legendary Slavyansk.
And this is not the only feature of this year’s torchlight march.
On the streets of Kiev Banderists were walking not only accompanied by drummers, but also by priests of “the traditional Ukrainian churches,” as was reported by the initiators of this event from the all-Ukrainian Union “Svoboda” (the former Social-nationalist party of Ukraine). Ukrainian priests together sang praise of Bandera, who acquire more and more in the eyes of his admirers features of Superman: in addition to the traditional slogans of the nationalists “Bandera, Shukhevych – heroes of Ukraine!” “We are Banderists! We are coming!”, “Ukraine above all!” – the current torchlight procession showed the world a new claim: “Our Prophet is Bandera!” Eloquent preachers also appeared, claiming that the dead Banderists will help the ones alive to fulfill “the will and testimony of Bandera”. The meaning of this “will and testimony” is to “complete the national revolution.”
The new Banderists didn’t consider the coup of 2014 (the “revolution of dignity”) as a revolution. The main appeal heard on the torchlight procession on 1st January 2017 was the slogan “The revolution continues!”
Another innovation of the latest Banderist march was the expression of the open hostility to Jews: “Jude, get out!” was added to the “traditional” slogan “Moskal on the branches!” Neither the “Jewish hundred” on Maidan, or sewn-on patches with a menorah “cynical Bandera” or the participation of Jews in the anti-terrorist operation in Donbass helped. Fans of Bandera did not change at all: before, the Fuhrer of “Svoboda” Tyahnybok urged to hang guns around the neck and to fight against “Moskals and Jews”, now he is at the head of the torchlight column, requiring that the Jews leave Ukraine.
Over the last decade, Nazism in Ukraine produced strong shoots from the old trunk. And it is already impossible to say with stories about the allegedly small number of participants of the torchlight procession in honor of Bandera to hide the fact that today Ukrainian Nazism represents in itself real power. With the “march of honor” in the cities of Ukraine, which was announced by “Svoboda” and the military sports organization “Sokol” (which has as its emblem a stylized swastika) were joined by “Azov” and “Right Sector”, as well as smaller and less organized radical nationalists.
The Ukrainian brown horde does not hide its future plans: the change of power in the country in their favor, war with the Russians, the expulsion of Jews.
Nothing new. Nazism. It is strange that this is not noticed in either neighboring-with-Ukraine Belarus, which already is being drawn into the orbit of neo-Nazi activities, or in Europe, which takes the fire of the torches on the streets of Kiev, Odessa, Lvov, and Slavyansk for the sparkle of festive lights.
* "Marches in honor of Bandera destroy Ukraine’s international image - Crimean PM" (2017-01-03) [archive.is/4EDIe]: Events similar to the torchlight procession to mark the birthday of leader of Ukraine’s nationalist movement, Stepan Bandera, destroy Ukraine’s international image, Sergey Aksyonov, the prime Minister of Crimea, wrote on his Facebook page on Monday.
"The New Year in Ukraine, according to an ominous tradition of recent years, has begun with celebrations mark the birthday of Nazi collaborator and butcher Bandera. His ideological descendants continue to destroy the Ukrainian statehood and international image of that country," Aksyonov wrote, calling Bandera’s followers "Ukraine’s global disgrace."
He expressed confidence that "the Ukrainian Nazis, Bandera’s spiritual heirs are in for imminent retribution, the new Nuremberg Trials." "And this will happen a lot sooner than many think," he noted.
Earlier reports said that more than 1,000 people participated in a torchlight procession in Kiev on Sunday to mark Bandera’s 108th birthday. The far-right activists shouted traditional anti-Russian slogans and "Glory to the nation!" and also criticized the government. Some 700 law enforcers ensured security in the center of the city, where traffic was partly blocked.
* "Torchlight Procession in Honor of Bandera Held in the Center of Kiev" (2017-01-01, Politnavigator.net, translated by Ollie Richardson) [archive.is/uYOy2]
* (2017-01-01) [archive.is/qsVps]: Last night in Kiev...
- Update (2017-01-01, Matt Florence) [archive.is/n4SjI]: People are falling for a fake photograph reportedly taken in Kiev (Ukraine) of a crowd of people in the shape of a swastika. The people in the photograph are holding torches and there are Christmas decorations in the background. I know this photograph is fake because portions of the crowd have been copy and pasted so that the crowd appears to be forming the shape of a swastika. Here is a zoomed in portion of the photo showing how portions of the crowd have been copy and pasted [archive.is/CL9If]. I know my a couple of my friends who are both very intelligent and informed people but sadly fell for the same photo that so many other people did.
* "Filaret for the Second Time Blessed Rapists From Tornado & Wished Them a Quick Release" (2017-01-03, Politnavigator.net, translated by Ollie Richardson & Angelina Siard) [archive.is/w0vKM]
* "Kiev Junta’s Limit of Madness is Almost Exhausted; In the event of the continuation of the senseless sacrifices in Donbass, Kiev’s junta risks to lose the rest of its army" (2017-01-03, Newsfront.info, translated by Ollie Richardson & Angelina Siard) [archive.is/2gACu]
* "Interior Ministry: In Russia There Are About 2.5 Million Citizens of Ukraine" (2017-01-04, Russian.rt.com, translated by Ollie Richardson) [archive.is/5AAoo]:
On the territory of Russia there are currently more than 10 million foreign citizens, and about 2.5 million of them are citizens of Ukraine. This was declared by the Chief of the General Administration for Migration Issues of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia Olga Kirillova.
“Currently in Russia there are about 2.5 million Ukrainian citizens, from which more than one million are natives from the southeast regions of Ukraine,” quotes TASS from her words.
She noted that since the beginning of 2014, citizens of Ukraine in order to be definied as legal submitted more than 2 million addresses, from which for temporary asylum were more than 442,000, and for permission for temporary residence — 411,000.
In addition, over 670,000 patents for work and 175,000 work permits were issued to citizens of Ukraine.
Also, more than 230,000 citizens of Ukraine filed applications for participation in the state program for voluntary resettlement of compatriots of Russia, and about 175,000 people showed willingness to gain Russian citizenship.
The People's Republics of Novorossiya in the Donbass region
For more info, with maps, and link, visit [NovorossiyaSolidarity.blogspot.com]; More news [dninews.com] [novorossia.vision]
* "Collection of Data on UAF War Criminals Is Underway" (2017-01-03, Dan-news.info, translated by Nikita Che) [archive.is/GX9wD]
* "Putin Buried Poroshenko’s Dreams of an Invasion: an Overland Corridor to Crimea is no Longer Needed" (2017-01-04, Rusvesna.su, translated by Ollie Richardson & Angelina Siard) [archive.is/FY1r8] [begin excerpt]: Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin at a press conference on December 23rd, 2016, reminded about one fact that says a lot of things about the strategy of Russia for the territories adjacent to the Russian Crimea: “In the next two-three days it will be announced that the supply of Russian gas to Crimea has begun”. The president also announced the construction of two big power plants in Crimea.
This short phrase has buried the dreams of all rural elite who hoped that Russian tanks will pass from Kharkov and Zaporizhia to Kherson and the border of Crimea. And that then Russia will undertake obligations for the restoration and economic growth of the “liberated” territories.
Exactly in the same way the dreams of Petro Poroshenko and his like-minded folk who hoped to stage a number of blockade of Crimea and by this provoke Russia into aggression were buried also. By this Poroshenko and his team would have carried out the task set by the West — and would obtain guarantees of preservation of their lives and assets.
On December 27th the President Vladimir Putin initiated the start of the supply of gas to Crimea from the territory of continental Russia. The start of the pipeline Krasnodar Krai-Crimea will allow to provide an uninterrupted supply of gas to all categories of consumers.
According to Vladimir Putin, the arrival of Russian main gas on the peninsula will allow “to create an absolutely new situation from the point of view of development of all economic complex, a recreational complex, and development of the social sphere in Crimea and Sevastopol”.
“In the near future, in 2017-2018, two power plants with 470 megawatt output each will be built on the basis of the gas coming to Crimea, which will cover and then some all the current requirements,” added the Russian President.
What does it mean?
It means that energy independence of Crimea from Ukraine is created. And that no Ukrainian Tatars of Dzhemilev and Chubarov, no Ukrainian elite can blackmail Russia with the wellbeing of Crimea any more.
They have even helped Russia. They created serious problems, which Russia also solved in a short space of time with gloss, having strengthened additional prestige in the international arena.
And ahead there is also the start of the Kerch Bridge, which will finally resolve all logistic issues. And the “overland way” to Crimea, which the Ukrainian “pro-Russian” elite were negotiating over for two and a half years, will remain only in their unrealizable dreams.
Russian Crimea doesn’t need Ukraine any more. Ukraine is already unneeded by Russia. Unless a question with the GTS still remains, which will be solved in 2019.
In fact, this is a stamp on the Ukrainian elite. Directly on the forehead: “Useless”.
“Regional” elite tried to bargain with Russia on February 22nd, 2014, during the Kharkov congress. And not just to negotiate, but rolled out to Russia the conditions on what and how they have to obtain from Russia in order for the Southeast to remain pro-Russian. With their psychology of small shopkeepers and hucksters they haven’t understood that it is impossible to interact like that with a great power — that they simply won’t be understood.
As a result, the Kremlin looked at them pensively — and advised them to negotiate with those who arrived, and at the same time to solve with their own efforts the internal problems of the sovereign state.
It is what the Kharkov elite did. They were “pro-Russian”, but started quietly and without special problems to be in session at the Verkhovna Rada. Mikhail Dobkin is the deputy of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine of the VIII convocation. Gennadiy Kernes is the mayor of Kharkov. [end excerpt]
* "New Year 2017 show by Donbass 'Night Wolves' patriotic bikers club" (2017-01-03, dninews.com) [is.gd/tcF9Su], attached video [youtube.com/watch?v=ZLE_zLm8URg], photos:
Attacks against the People's Republics of Novorossiya (a daily calender)
"But for the Generals" (2015, dninews.com) (.pdf) [is.gd/tRPDMG], a history of the USA-backed war against the people of Novorossiya.
* "DPR: situation in southern Donetsk republic deteriorates after McCain’s trip; Over the past 24 hours, a total of 79 shells and also 246 rounds of ammunition have been fired from various types of grenade launchers at the republic’s territory, DPR’s command spokesman said" (2017-01-01, tass.com) [archive.is/OfqPS]:
The Kiev forces opened massive fire at the southern areas of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic late on Saturday amid the trip of Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko and US Senator John McCain to Mariupol, the DPR’s command spokesman Eduard Basurin said.
Federation of Russia (EEU Member)
Map [archive.is/yFbmy]. News: [rbth.com]
* "Russia developing carrier-based drones, will get 100 new Navy aircraft by 2020 – military" (2017-01-02, rt.com) [archive.is/kRElZ]
* "Ship-based unmanned aerial vehicles to be designed for Russian Navy" (2017-01-02, TASS Newswire) [archive.is/qfoQW]
* "Federal register of HIV patients to be launched in Russia in 2017" (2017-01-01, TASS Newswire) [archive.is/rh3RD]
* "10 most unique mosques in Russia; RBTH presents a gallery of ten unique Russian mosques, from Moscow to the northernmost city in the world" (2015-12-16, rbth.com) [archive.is/499wu]
Eurasian Union (EEU) / Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO)
EEU Map [archive.is/7gu7z]. Official Info [aeunion.org] [eurasiancommission.org]
* "2017 Forecast: Central Asia" (2017-01-04, by Andrew Korybko) [archive.is/vTUMo] [begin excerpt]: Summary
The Eurasian Heartland can expect to immensely benefit from the Russian- and Chinese-led integrational projects being advanced in this region, though any hiccups in the eventual political transitions in Kazakhstan and Tajikistan might open up avenues for Salafist and revisionist threats to return to the surface and destabilize this ultra-crucial crossroads of the continent.
Multipolar Crossroads -
Central Asia is located literally in the center of Russia, China, and Iran’s multipolar Great Power geostrategic convergence, which amounts to this part of the world being unparalleled in its grand importance. Moscow, Beijing, and Tehran are fully cognizant of this and recognize how disastrous it would be for each of them if Central Asia were to be destabilized by a deadly combination of external and internal factors, which is why they’re working so closely together to safeguard it from it all sorts of potential risks. Russia’s CSTO provides security guarantees for Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Tajikistan, while the Russian- and Chinese-led SCO aims to advance these three countries and Uzbekistan’s all-around integration into the multipolar world. Constitutionally neutral Turkmenistan is not a party to either of these agreements, though there’s been repeated speculation that it informally cooperates with both on areas of shared interest, such as defending against militant incursions from Afghanistan to helping to geographically facilitate Chinese-Iranian New Silk Road connectivity. As for the latter point, China already has one circuitous railroad connection to Iran and has floated the idea of building a high-speed one directly through the middle of Central Asia in order to connect the two Great Powers by means of the region’s main cities and capitals. Understandably, the further along that trilateral Russian-Chinese-Iranian Central Asian connectivity and integrational projects come along, the stronger the emerging Multipolar World Order will become, though contrarily, any unforeseen challenges to these initiatives will reversely create problems for the Eurasian Great Powers. [emd excerpt]
* "Iran plans to again give access to the Russian Aerospace Forces" (2016-12-29, katehon.com) [archive.is/xZeNM]:
The current minister of defense of Iran Hossein Dehghan has officially announced this decision.
Hide Hamadan Airbase -
Russia used the Hamadan Airbase in Iran in August 2016 to strike targets of terrorists in Syria. However, some Iranian members of parliament from among the liberal reformers began to criticize the decision of the Iranian authorities. Therefore, the using of the Iranian base had to be suspended.
Hide The new level of cooperation -
An agreement on Syria is expected to be concluded, where Russia and Iran play an active role. The resumption of the activity of Russian Aerospace Forces on the Iranian base is a feature of this.
It's worth noting that after the Islamic revolution in Iran in 1979, Russia was the first country which gained access to the territory of Iran in the framework of military cooperation.
* "Russian oil company starts new work in Serbia" (2016-12-23, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/Eh8BS]
Republic of Turkey (NATO member state)
* "Solidarity with Revolutionary Anarchists in #Turkey from #Slovenia -- FREEDOM FOR ALL POLITICAL PRISONERS IN TURKEY! -- LONG LIVE Devrimci Anarsist Faaliyet DAF! " (2016-12-27, indeplatforma.org) [archive.is/RJl4t]:
The news reached us in the last days about yet another prison sentence in Turkey. This time, the state which is well on its way to fascism, pointed its finger towards the anarchist propaganda. The magazine Meydan, which had already been closed down during the Erdogan’s “cleaning” after the Coup, was now hit even more. The editor of Meydan, an anarchist magazine issued by DAF (Devrimci Anarsist Faaliyet / Anarchist revolutionary action) is now sentenced to more than one year in prison. The State claims some Meydan articles were promoting terrorist methods. It is not hard to understand this verdict, yes, all the ideas which organised anarchists in Turkey are promoting, like gender equality, workers’ rights, economic system based on mutual aid and without private property, freedom of the individual, antionationalistic and antifascist ideas (and of course we must not forget their support to Rojava revolution) – it is all very dangerous to the State. Taking the right to write, speak and organize around this ideas is something unforgivable in today’s Turkey. Using the rhetoric of public safety and comparing anarchist ideas in any form with terrorism and violence is an old story, we have seen it for more than 100 years all over the world. We are not surprised nor shocked.
But, as well as our comrades in Turkey, we know that this business of the states and regimes haven’t managed to silence the roars. There will always be another Meydan, another page printed and distributed, another article written.
We send our solidarity and thoughts to the Meydan and DAF comrades; behind prison walls or on the streets, already now they are on the only possible and logical side of history.
FREEDOM FOR ALL POLITICAL PRISONERS IN TURKEY!
LONG LIVE DAF!
[signed] ANTIFA ISTRA and collectives UP-INDE (Koper), ARGO (Izola) and Alternativa Obstaja (FAO-IFA)
- Interview with a comrade from DAF [archive.is/9LkkC]
- Statement of Meydan: "Prison Sentence to Managing Editor of Meydan Newspaper":
An investigation was started by Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor’s office about our newspaper related to articles “Both Arrival and Departure of State is From Fear”, “Banned Until Further Order”, and “Recreating Life” in the 30. issue of our newspaper published on December 2015 with the caption “Banning Everything”. The lawsuit following the investigation ended after almost a year of trials.
On the summary judgment yesterday, the court sentenced the managing editor of our newspaper Hüseyin Civan to 1 year and 3 months of imprisonment with the charge “making the propaganda for the methods of a terrorist organization constituting coercion, violence or threats through legitimizing or praising or encouraging the use of these methods”.
As we emphasized in the articles leading to the investigation, “State will never be able to captivate the passion of freedom of and the conviction of freedom of the peoples”.
As an anarchist newspaper knowing that the free life that we believe in can only be created through struggle, we will never give up writing what we stand up for and distribute what we write. We will continue to resist, act and write against oppression, investigations, custodies and arrests.
[levantreport.com] [middleeasteye.net] [alaraby.co.uk/english] [almanar.com.lb/english/main.php] [almasdarnews.com] [english.aawsat.com]
* "Worshipper and Politician: The relation between Sufi orders and the regime in Egypt" (2016-12-26, katehon.com) [archive.is/pldDS]
* "Egypt Arrests Al-Jazeera Producer on Fake News Charge" (2016-12-27, cpj.org) [archive.is/rw0lo]
North Kurdistan (Bakur), within the jurisdiction of the Republic of Turkey
* "Kurdistan Info" (2016-12-31, karakok.wordpress.com) [archive.is/PfWpO] [begin excerpt]:
The curfew declared by the Turkish state in Mardin’s Nusaybin district on March 14 continues in the 6 neighborhoods in the district with most of the district’s population. The houses damaged during the curfew with artillery from tanks and mortars are being demolished as well as undamaged ones. The demolition has been completed in Zeynelabidin and Kışla neighborhoods while the demolition in Dicle, Fırat, Abdulkadirpaşa and Yenişehir neighborhoods continue. The barbed wire fences surrounding the Zeynelabidin and Kışla neighborhoods haven’t been removed, even though the destruction and pillaging are done. People are not even allowed through to the cemetery in the area.
The sound of dozens of construction machines working simultaneously in four neighborhoods demolished by the Turkish state forces can be heard all over the city. The people try to enter the streets, now turned into open land, and figure out their plots. [end excerpt]
West Kurdistan (Rojava), within the jurisdiction of the Arab Republic of Syria, governed by the Rojava Kurdistan Democratic Autonomous Administration
Map [archive.is/7Z32s]. News [rojavareport.wordpress.com], Documents (2016) [archive.is/8z7EN]
* Final declaration of the Federal System Constituent Assembly conference (2016-12-31) [archive.is/eZY9H]:
The final declaration of the Northern Syria Democratic Federal System Constituent Assembly issued a call to all circles in Syria to take active part in the building of a Democratic and Federal Syria.
The Northern Syria Constituent Assembly conference began in the town of Rimêlan on December 27 and lasted three days. Yesterday, the 165-member council approved the Social Contract draft.
The final declaration of the conference was made public in a press conference.
Constituent Assembly member Elizabeth Koreyî who read the final declaration stated that the second meeting on the works of the Northern Syria Democratic Federal System Constituent Assembly, which was declared on March 17, 2016, was held with the participation of 165 members from the three cantons and Shehba region on December 27-28-29 in the scope of the developments in Syria and the region.
Accordingly, the conference witnessed an evaluation of the current process and the latest situation in Syria, military and political developments-mainly in Northern Syria- Turkey’s occupation of Jarablus and efforts for the occupation of al Bab, threats against Manbij and Efrîn, changes these have caused in the demography of the region and attacks on civilians. It was agreed that Turkey’s invasion of Syrian soil must be opposed and stood against.
Participants of the conference also discussed the military developments in Aleppo and Palmyra, changes in the balance of power and consequent effects of these changes for the coming process.
According to the final declaration, participants called attention to the importance of a ceasefire in Syria, and emphasized that all key elements should sit around a joint table for the resolution of the Syrian crisis in order that the previous failed talks and meetings aiming a solution do not repeat.
Constituent Assembly member Elizabeth Koreyî stated that the gains achieved by the Syrian Democratic Forces during the operation to liberate Raqqa were also assessed. Koreyî continued as follows:
“After that, the Executive Council’s report was read. All activities by the committees up to date were assessed in the report. The Social Contract articles among the main points on the agenda were separately assessed and necessary changes were made in some articles.
The Constituent Assembly shared the political document set forth for the resolution of the crisis in Syria. The Assembly stated that the Northern Syrian Federation was a part of the Democratic and Federal Syria. The Federal System was assessed to be a democratic solution for the future of Syria and a system to guarantee an exit from the current crisis and to prevent social collapse. In addition, the administration experience we have achieved since the July 19 revolution that occurred with the participation of all peoples has posed an example for all of Syria.
Our call for the democratic and national forces that believe in a political solution is to come together and build a Democratic and Federal Syria that includes all peoples. With that, we call on all political and social groups in Northern Syria to take active part in the democratic system.
We gift this victory achieved through the blood of our martyrs to all the peoples of Syria for the new year.”
Ansar Allah Revolutionary Government of Yemen ("Houthis")
[sabanews.net/en] [ansar-allah.net] [yemen-news-today.org]
* "Yemen on verge of 'absolute collapse' suggests report; Save the Children warned that an estimated 1,000 children currently die every week from treatable diseases" (2016-12-20, middleeasteye.net) [archive.is/uLl99]
* "#SOS_YemenGenocide: Tragic photos of war-torn country shared online" (2017-01-03, rt.com) [archive.is/zs1sZ], photo caption: A malnourished boy lies on a scale at a malnutrition intensive care unit in the Red Sea port city of Houdeidah, Yemen November 17, 2016.
* (2016-12-10, twitter.com/OxfamYemen) [archive.is/CRX6k]: People in war-torn Yemen are running out of food. RT to urge the UK govt to do the right thing and stop British bombs fuelling the crisis.
Islamic Republic of Iran
* "A Christian Christmas in Snowy Iran A 2016 Trump era update of a wildly popular Christmas article first published on lewrockwell.com and antiwar.com in 2007" (2016-12-30, by Dr. William Wedin) [archive.is/eooB0]
[begin excerpt]: And what my eyes tell me is that it looks like there are lots of Christians now living in Iran (as they have for many centuries). And these Christians feel free to shop for Christmas trees on the street and for Christmas cards in the stores; and take photos of their kids with Santa; and attend Christmas services in posh new churches. And what my eyes tell me too is that all of these Christians are unafraid. And I am sure that your eyes tell you the exact same thing. [...]
For example, we can tell from the abundance of Christmas cards and trees and wrappings and ornaments and Santa Claus suits that Iran has a capitalist, consumer-oriented economy, with a large enough Christian community to support a whole host of retailers, wholesalers, distributors, suppliers, importers, and tree farms. And if we glance back at that incredible first shot of Tehran at the foot of the snow-covered Alborz Mountains, we can even say with certitude that the area around Tehran has just the right terrain, soil, and climate for growing those new-cut Christmas trees you see.
We can also deduce from such things as all the Christmas trees being sold on the street and the big Christmas sign hanging in a Christian gift store that while Iran may be an Islamic theocratic republic (meaning a republic governed by popularly elected officials under the supervision of a clerical hierarchy, headed by a Pope-like Grand Ayatollah with the title of Supreme Leader), Christians are given complete freedom to practice their religion and enjoy its traditions as bothers and sisters in Abraham, so long as no converts are sought--according to teachings of the Koran. Within these constraints, the Iranian Christian community have clearly prospered and flourished--especially under the long, protective reign of the current, kindly Supreme Leader, Grand Ayatollah Ali Khamenei (1989-present).
Nothing shows the tolerance of the Islamic Republic and Islamic Shahs before him than the fact that visual depictions of humans, saints, and divine beings are permitted in churches while strictly forbidden in mosques. [...]
PS. (update 2016): It's now 9 Christmases since I wrote the above article (with a few changes). And Iran still hasn't tried to develop The Bomb. In fact, there's only questionable evidence Iran ever worked on a bomb. And certainly not since 2003.
That's in no small measure because in 2005 Supreme Leader Khamenei issued a fatwa (the Shia Islamic equivalent of a Papal Bull) damning the development, manufacture, possession, and/or use of nuclear weapons as against the Will of God.
Religious edicts do not get any stronger that.
Yet that carries no weight whatsoever with Trump's military advisers--who are prepared to use "tactical" nukes against Iran's imagined nuclear-weapons development-sites--no matter the costs in innocent human lives. Like the Christian children and adults shown above.
Do we just say: "That's their luck for living in Iran"? [...]
Would the deaths of all those innocent Iranians be? [end excerpt]
Republic of India
* "India bans foreign funds of 20,000 charities: official" (2016-12-27, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/jR7fZ] [begin excerpt]:
Meanwhile that leaves only 13,000 NGOs with licenses in India where charities, especially foreign-backed ones like Greenpeace, have come under increased scrutiny since Hindu nationalist Prime Minister Narendra Modi came to power in 2014.
A major crackdown began in early 2015 after an intelligence report said groups like Greenpeace were damaging the country's economy by campaigning against key development projects.
The government has cancelled licences of thousands of NGOs since then, citing misuse of overseas donations to harm the country's growth.
Critics have argued that the apparent clampdown was an attempt to stifle voices of dissent.
An Indian charity running schools for low-caste Dalit children said last week it was set to close down after its foreign funds were blocked over alleged threats to national unity.
The home ministry said the charity had engaged in "undesirable activities aimed to affect prejudicially harmony between religious, racial, social, linguistic, regional groups, castes or communities". [end excerpt]
Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO)
* "China to build $1.5 billion power line across Pakistan" (2016-12-30, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/WraKp]
Republic of the Philippines
Maps: National Territory [archive.is/TmfDQ], as defined by Existing Laws and Treaties [archive.is/kLpoZ], EEZ seabed relief map [archive.is/vPe7J], EEZ dispute with PR China [archive.is/Sx094], Marine Entitlements [archive.is/jSZE1].
News sources: [karapatan.org/news] [davaotoday.com] [themaharlikan.info].
* "AFP’s ‘Oplan Tokhang’ targets NPA—Ka Oris" (2016-10-19, davaotoday.com) [archive.is/Ddoj3] [begin excerpt]: The New People’s Army slammed the Armed Forces of the Philippines for targeting communist guerillas in the guise of the Duterte government’s anti-drug campaign called Oplan Tokhang.
“Armed teams of the AFP carry out psywar operations where local residents are forced to participate in assemblies at the risk of being tagged as NPA sympathizers. Under the guise of the Duterte regime’s anti-drug campaign, military units conduct seminars where they slander the NPA,” Ka Oris said in a statement Tuesday.
Apart from AFP’s “sham” anti-illegal drug campaign, Ka Oris said the military are now in “a frenzied campaign to justify the hostile operations of the AFP in contempt of the indefinite ceasefire simultaneously declared by the GRP with the CPP.”
He said the military has its own publicists and trolls who are doing the rounds in radio and television stations, newspapers, social media websites “to defend and justify the hostile counter-insurgency operations being carried out under the AFP’s Oplan Bayanihan.” [end excerpt]
research from the Committee for the Study of
HISTORY AND THE CURRENT CONTEXT
Prior to the 1960s, rioting (or race riots), consisted of whites burning down and destroying black communities simply because they didn't want them there. Mostly in major northern, western and Midwestern cities, where the population of black citizens grew tremendously due to the great migration. Blacks fled from Jim Crow south to seek refuge and to find jobs and homes. The competition was fierce, thousands and thousands of blacks flooded the cities resulting in "white flight".
White people were angry that blacks were taking over jobs and building their own communities. Even white soldiers that have been stationed away from home were furious when they came back to this "change".
This is how race riots started. Whites were not too happy about desegregation in their cities. With subliminal attempts to keep their city segregated, blacks were not allowed in the "white" part of town. Black homes and communities were destroyed and burned down by angry white mobs and countless deaths occurred.
Here are ONLY just a few examples of race riots that took place in our country:
1921: May 30- June 1. Tulsa, OK. Black Wall Street Massacre
1922. May 6, June 9 Kirven, Texas
1923: January 1. Rosewood, FL Rosewood Massacre
1930: October 12-15 Sainte Genevieve, MO
1931: March Scottsboro, AL
1935: March 19 Harlem, NY Harlem Riot of 1935
1943: May Mobile, AL
1943: June Los Angeles, CA Zoot Suit Riot
1943: June 15-16 Beaumont, TX Beaumont Race Riot of 1943
1943: June 20 Detroit, MI Detroit Race Riot
1943:August 1 Harlem,NY Harlem Riot of 1943
1949: August-September Peekskill, NY
1951: July 11-12 Cicero County, IL Cicero Race Riot
1958: Maxton, NC Battle of Hayes Pond
1959: February Pearl River County, MS
1960: April Biloxi Beach, MS
1962: October Oxford, MS Uni of Mississippi
1963: September 30. Oxford, MS Ole Miss Riot
1963: July 11 Cambridge, MD Cambridge riot of 1963
1963: May 13 Birmingham, AL Bombings
1964: July Brooklyn, NY
1964: July 18 Harlem, NY Harlem Riot of 1964
1964: July 24-26 Rochester, NY Rochester riot
1964: August Jersey City, NJ
1964: August Paterson, NJ
1964: August Elizabeth, NJ
1964: August Chicago, IL
1964: August 28 Philadelphia, PA Philadelphia 1964 race riot
1965: March 7 Selma, AL Bloody Sunday
1965: July Springfield, MA
1965: August 11-17 Los Angeles, CA Watts Riot
... only to name a few....
(Image: Race Riot in Detroit, 1943)
* "Santa Claus Has a Hard Time Finding Way to Harlem Slums; Merry Xmas--Rooms for Rent--White Only" (1937-12-27, The Daily Worker, introduction 2016-12-23 by Zoltan Zigedy) [archive.is/OUpUM]
* (whowhatwhy.org) [archive.is/kyRNZ]: In December of 1934, "Mrs. Jane Emery Newton, white wife of Herbert Newton, Communist" [is.gd/2RQGzi] was found to be sane by a judge in the Psychopathic court in Chicago [is.gd/XwENwc]. Mrs. Newton, photo [archive.is/mRDyh], was subjected to a sanity hearing as a result of her marriage to a black communist. The story of the Newtons was told in a book by David Beasley titled “A Life in Red,” published in 2015.
* (1934-12-29, Baltimore Afro-American, via news.google.com) [is.gd/2RQGzi]
* "Remembering Claudia Jones, Communist Leader Who Spoke for Black Women" (by W.T. Whitney, Jr.) [archive.is/PW4Vt] [begin excerpt]: December 24 marks the death in 1964 of Claudia Jones. A member of the U.S. Communist Party’s National Committee and executive secretary for its Women’s Commission, Jones died in England, nine years after her deportation there. We recall her life and contributions. Her analysis of black women’s oppression and her vision of black women as political activists are meaningful today.
Her 16 – page article titled “An End to the Neglect of the Problems of Negro Women” appeared in the June 1949 issue of “Political Affairs.” (1) There, Jones describes the origins and varieties of oppression against black women. What with continuing subjugation of black women, her message is relevant now. The ripple effect of what happens to women adds to the staying power of Jones’ ideas: children’s education, health, and even survival depend on women flourishing. Men who no longer dominate women may themselves gain a measure of liberation.
Jones begins: “Negro women – as workers, as Negros, and as women – are the most oppressed stratum of the whole society.” There is “growth in the militant participation of Negro women in all aspects of the struggle for peace, civil rights, and economic security.” In fact, “the capitalists know, far better than most progressives seem to know, that once Negro women take action, the militancy of the whole Negro people, and thus of the anti-imperialist coalition, is greatly enhanced.” [...]
Her essay concludes: “The strong capacities, militancy, and organizational talents of Negro women can … be a powerful lever for bringing forth Negro workers – men and women - as the leading forces of the Negro people’s liberation movement, for cementing Negro and white unity in the struggle against Wall Street imperialism.”
Claudia Jones wrote and acted by the light of her own life experience. Extreme poverty forced her family’s emigration from Trinidad to New York. Her over-worked mother died there, and living conditions for Claudia and her sisters deteriorated. Jones spent a year recuperating in a tuberculosis sanatorium. She was a superior high – school student, but instead of college, she worked in laundries and factories to support her family.
Soon - in 1936 - she was organizing for the Young Communist League and working for the Communist Party’s “Daily Worker” newspaper. She moved to writing and editorial assignments with other Party publications and to the Party’s “Negro Commission.” Her “Half the World” column – meaning women - appeared regularly in the Daily Worker.
Claudia Jones’ life took a tragic turn. Tried and imprisoned under the anti-communist Smith Act, she was deported to England in 1955. She died prematurely at age 49. Elements of Caribbean culture and politics, and of black people’s nationalism, had informed Claudia Jones’ activism and writings in the United States. In London, she founded and edited the West Indian Gazette. To counter “white racists,” she organized the Notting Hill Caribbean Carnival, which continues. [end excerpt]
* "USSR 1991 – History did not end with the counterrevolution; Socialism is timely and necessary" (2016-12-23, by Nikos Mottas) [archive.is/jK3nB]:
It was December 26, 1991 – 25 years ago- when the red flag with the sickle and hammer was lowered from the Moscow Kremlin. It was then, during the cold days of December, when the first socialist state of the world, the homeland of the world's proletariat, bent under the weight of the counterrevolution. Four days before, on December 22nd, the leaderships of three of the largest Soviet republics had decided the dissolution of the USSR, while the Communist Party of the Soviet Union had been outlawed on summer of the same year.
The events of December 1991 sealed the victory of the counterrevolution, as the result of a process which officially began in 1985 with the Perestroika and reached its peak in 1989 with the overthrow of Socialism. Of course, the roots of the counterrevolution can be traced back in a series of revisionist-opportunist decisions taken at the CPSU's 20th Congress back in 1956.
In 1991, the homeland of the heroic bolsheviks, the homeland of Lenin and Stalin, the homeland of General Zhukov, of Yuri Gagarin and Dmitri Shostakovich, the homeland of the Soviet people became loot in the hands of the Russian bourgeoisie, of the oligarchs who emerged from the leadership of Perestroika. Even the opinion of the Soviet people (in the referendum of March 17, 1991, 76% of the voters supported the existence of the USSR) had been ignored by the perpetrators of the counterrevolution.
“The Soviet red flag is no longer waving in the domes of the Kremlin. Its lowering sealed with a dramatic and symbolical way the end of the 74-year old course of the first socialist state in the world. For a moment the clocks indicators remained motionless, marking the critical moment. The hearts of many million workers in all over thr world stopped beating, weighting the magnitude of the loses”. - Rizospastis daily (KKE newspaper), 28 December 1991.
The immense social achievements of the USSR were succeeded by illusory promises by the new capitalist Russian government for- supposedly- more democracy, for more social freedoms and for a free-market economy which would improve the people's lives. The so-called “shock therapy”, which included several policies of economic liberalisation during the 90s, had multiple negative effects in people's lives: rapid increase of social inequalities, destruction of the socialist welfare state, extreme increase of poverty for the working class, decrease of the life extectancy rate, resurgence of nationalist claims between former soviet republics and the emergence of economic oligarchs as actual rulers of the new capitalist Russian state.
Twenty-five years after the counterrevolution in the USSR, the majority of the Russian people- especially the older generations- think that life under Socialism was better. The restoration of Capitalism brought an unprecedented barbarity in almost every sector of public life; a barbarity which benefited the few and aggravated the situation for the majority. On March 2016, a survey conducted by the All-Russia Public Opinion Center (VTsIOM) showed that more than half of Russians (64%) would vote to maintain the Soviet Union if a referendum were held today. This figure increases from 47% among those 18-24 to 76% among respondents age 60 and more.
During the same period (March 2016), a similar survey by the Levada Center Survey in Russia showed that nore than half (56%) of the Russians regret the collapse of the USSR and 58% of the survey's participants would welcome the revival of the socialist system. Back in 2013, a survey by the Russia's Public Opinion Foundation (FOM) , showed that 60% of Russians think that the life in the Soviet Union had more positive than negative aspects.
The same kind of nostalgia for the USSR exists also in other former Soviet republics, like Armenia, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan etc, where the policies of monopoly capitalism have swept away any social privileges achieved by the working class people during Socialism.
HISTORY DID NOT END.
The various apologists of capitalism, who advocated the concept of the “end of History” in the beginning of the 90s, have already been refuted. Despite the fact that the counterrevolutionary events in the USSR and Eastern Europe significantly deteriorated the correlation of forces internationally, it becomes clear that Socialism is timely and necessary. The impasses of rotten capitalism, which creates crises, poverty, unemployment, misery and wars, consist a solid proof that nothing has ended.
The people, the working class in all over the world must organize their counter-attack, to strengthen the bastions of resistance against capitalist exploitation and imperialist barbarity and create the preconditions for the ultimate victory of Socialism. The red flag, with sickle and hammer, will rise again.
Comrade Castro meeting with W.A Reiford, Creek missionary that established an Havana orphanage in 1959.
Picture also shows them smoking on a "peace pipe," as a ceremonial bonding of the event.
* "Cuba and South Africa: Regionalism and internationalism, ideology and conflict in southern Africa during the Cold War" (2017-01-03, katehon.com) [archive.is/uRfLH]
* "The Mind Builders in Africa" (2017-01-02, katehon.com) [archive.is/GDfXG] [begin excerpt]: As Africans went formal through the acquisition of western education, a critical question of that era is, before the “independence” of most African states when its much needed man power is being trained; was it the lack of interest or incompetence in the sciences, engineering, medicine or technical education that was responsible for the absence of science based on technological inclined technocrats? Or was it designed with that outcome from inception? If you go with the former, I will say just as it is common in the education parlance “there are no bad students only teachers”.
There was another aspect to the chaotic disposition of Africa in relation to education and ideology, lets establish once again that during the era of the struggle for self-rule by many African states it was at the height of the cold war, and antagonist and protagonist on both sides sought to shape the African psyche, though the Soviet Union had no colonies in Africa she played a vital role in the drive towards independence for many African states with both human and material resources, one out of the many support the Soviet Union accorded to prospective African technocrats and leaders was the socialist ideology for those who came in contact with the Soviet Union. This will shape internal squabbles for what model was appropriate towards nation building, as others of the earlier educated Africans that studied in western Europe and America returned with a capitalist psychology and pursued capitalism as the most preferred model for nation building, while Soviet influenced African leaders preferred the socialist model, hence the conflict of interest.
Africans strong affinity for individual achievement in contemporary times can be traced back to the colonial era when personal achievement was given precedence over and above collective, cohesive community development as Africans welcomed and held onto consumerism.
This can be attributed to the fact that the first individuals that came in contact and were comfortable with the colonial masters, had a sort of automatic status upgrade from whatever low or despicable level of society to a new status as intermediaries between the white maters and their black subjects, add in personal goals, selfish desires and Africans were turning on themselves for a “prestigious” footstool of their oppressors, and thus the quest for personal achievement at the expense of whoever and whatever began, this I believe sowed the first seeds of corruption that is so endemic in Africa today. As said earlier that most African cultures are communal as oppose to an individualistic form found elsewhere, this communal entity is the platform on which cultural laws which are about boundary-maintenance, which later fundamentally informs notions of morality that in turn inform legislation and nationhood.
Africa's cultural fences are the bastion to African self-definition and determination Africa and Africans seemed to have gotten lost toward a more holistic based approach to nation building as against individualist self-centered designs, and if by any chance Africans manage to break away from their self-centered dreams (living by European, American or any other developed country’s living standards and lifestyles only with its luxuries) ethnic, regional and religious inclinations then overtakes and supersedes any considerations, we then become Totsi, Hausa, Ngas or Koikoi, Zulu and not Kenyans or Rwandans or nationals of our home countries, but no we are and will be clouded with sentiments such as this, ethnicity being the most divisive of them all. With Christianity and Islam forming the most widely adhered faiths on the African continent, along comes the differences and hostile relations that exists between them over the centuries; it’s no wonder a lot of African countries can’t find common grounds to co-exist and develop their nations. [end excerpt]
* "CPI-M Remembers Comrade Safdar!" (2016-12-31, facebook.com/cpimcc):
Red Salutes to Comrade Safdar Hashmi on the anniversary of his martyrdom! On 1 January 1989, the charismatic writer, poet, artist and theatre activist was murdered by Congress goons in the industrial township of Sahibabad (U.P.) on the outskirts of Delhi, while performing Jana Natya Manch's play 'Halla Bol' on the seven-day industrial strike led by the CITU - Centre of Indian Trade Unions.
- "Safdar Hashmi: The Indian Brecht" (2013-01-02, beta.bodhicommons.org) [archive.is/5cXgg]
- "Safdar Hashmi" (retrieved 2014-01-04, sahmat.org) [archive.is/eUXed]
- "Janam's Commitments" (2009-09-04, nakedpunch.com) [archive.is/k9Bu1]
* "Glasnost 1988: Historic Moment for Iran and Russia" (2017-01-01, by Eric Walberg) [archive.is/AVyDT]: On January 1, 1988, just a year and a half before he passed away on June 3, 1989, Ayatollah Khomeini made a historic move, reaching out the Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev, in a gesture of anti-imperialist solidarity, despite the long hiatus in relations with communist Russia. This was at a time of war against Iraq and continued subversion of Iran by the US and Israel. He sent President Gorbachev his only written message to a foreign leader.
Ayatollah Khomeini made other prescient gestures in his short and difficult decade as the leader of the Islamic revolution in Iran; in the first place, the transfer of the Israeli embassy to Palestinian representatives, the canceling of recognition of Israel, and the inauguration of al-Quds Day as an annual international holiday on the last Friday of Ramadan. He met with Fidel Castro and other third world leaders, encouraging solidarity against the imperialist foe.
The unprecedented visit of the Iranian delegation to Moscow was a sincere offer of support to the faltering Soviet leader, who had rejected the atheism of the Soviet past. It contrasts with the treatment of Gorbachev’s new friend, Reagan, who was at the same time conspiring to subvert the Soviet Union, even as Gorbachev was sincerely reaching out to the hawkish Reagan, offering a generous plan of world nuclear disarmament.
The Ayatollah’s warning not to trust the West was being brought home to Gorbachev graphically as the last Soviet troops were retreating into Uzbekistan in 1988. Despite the unilateral withdrawal of Soviet forces from Afghanistan, the US was continuing to arm the insurgents, killing those doomed soldiers as they crossed the Afghanistan-Uzbekistan Friendship Bridge, built in 1982. Imperialism takes no prisoners.
Iran played no part in the US-backed ‘jihad’ in Afghanistan in the 1980s that brought the collapse of the Soviet Union. Iranian leaders knew that nothing good would come from working in alliance with America.
The Ayatollah knew this well, and was alarmed at the naiveté of Gorbachev. The Ayatollah warned in his letter that the western world was an “illusory heaven”, that appeared seductive.
But the truth lies elsewhere. “If you hope, at this juncture, to cut the economic Gordian knots of socialism and communism by appealing to the center of western capitalism, you will, far from remedying any ill of your society, commit a mistake which those to come will have to erase.
For, if Marxism has come to a deadlock in its social and economic policies, capitalism has also bogged down, in this as well as in other respects though in a different form.”
Gorbachev was offended and objected. “This invitation is an interference in the internal issue of a country. Because every country is free for selecting its school of thought.” He took the Ayatollah’s sincere advice as interference, rather than friendly concern. “Imam Khomeini invited us to Islam; do we have to invite him to our school of thought?”
History has proved the fears that the Ayatollah expressed justified. Gorbachev was standing on the edge of the abyss. Sadly, he scoffed at the ability of the Ayatollah to see the danger and to want to help him. But it was too late by then. Gorbachev had lost control, thinking he was handing power to the people, not recognizing that such a wish was another illusion. The disaster of the collapse of the Soviet Union will reverberate for generations to come, as the Ayatollah predicted.
Gorbachev was operating on a different wavelength when he received the letter from the Ayatollah, trying to cozy up to Israel and the US, again, naively thinking goodwill gestures would be reciprocated. He opened the doors to the emigration of Soviet Jews in 1988 and prepared to renew full diplomatic relations with Israel.
At the same time Gorbachev promised Arafat during a state visit that year that the Soviet Union would recognize an independent Palestinian state if proclaimed, naively hoping that Israel would show gratitude for his generosity by negotiating a genuine peace with the Palestinians. Arafat declared independence in November 1988 and got Soviet recognition the next year, but it was not much consolation. Israel was busy setting up consular offices in Moscow and elsewhere, issuing eventually a million visas to Soviet Jews to come to Israel.
Hundreds of thousands of Russian Jews got instant Israeli citizenship and emigrated, many of them settling illegally in the Occupied Territories, nominally part of a Soviet-recognized Palestinian state. By the end of 1991 when full diplomatic relations with Israel were restored, over 325,000 Soviet Jews had emigrated. Gorbachev’s hope to bring a quick peace to the Middle East were dashed as he was ousted from power, leaving the PLO abandoned and Israel stronger than ever.
Just as the Zionists had hoodwinked Stalin into recognizing Israel, they once again hoodwinked a Soviet leader into re-recognizing it. Instead of increasing Soviet/Russian influence by this dual recognition, all influence was lost, the Palestinians were hurt by the Soviet betrayal, while the Israelis welcomed a million new Jewish immigrants.
Gorbachev’s trust was betrayed by both the US and Israel; the Soviet Union collapsed as Soviet Jews fled to the illusory western heaven. The world logically expected a new era free of the threat of war, a peace dividend that would improve the lot of people everywhere, ensuring that the material imperative behind war was eliminated. But the triumph of empire has never led to an end to empire, and strengthening empire has never led to improving the lot of the periphery.
This was clear in the centuries of imperialism, where the periphery was impoverished at the expense of the center. There was no reason to believe a new Great Game of empire could be any different, even Bush I’s postmodern variant, with the US firmly in control. Indeed, the impoverishment of all who are not part of the center/periphery elite has only accelerated.
Today, the US continues to work with the Saudis to destabilize the Iran-Iraq ‘Shia arc’ replaying the endgame against the Soviet Union in Afghanistan, this time with clandestine operations being carried out by the US, Saudis and Israelis—all jealous of Iran’s increasing influence in the Middle East.
US support for Islamists continues to haunt the region, notably in Syria, even as US power ebbs. Following the uprisings in the Arab world in early 2011, Russian President Dmitri Medvedev suggested that the revolts in the Arab world were sparked by outside forces scheming to undermine Russia. “I won’t call any names but a whole range of countries, even those we have friendly relations with, have nevertheless been involved in terrorism in the [Russian] Caucasus.”
In the ideological vacuum created by the collapse of communism, two Russian ideologies have arisen—Atlantism and Eurasianism, both with roots in the nineteenth century, the latter, a geopolitical reaction to the decadence of the West, articulated persuasively by Nikolai Trubetskoi and Lev Gumilev in the mid-1920s and today by Alexander Dugin.
Russia and Iran are already playing key roles in establishing this new reality, building on the first step taken by Ayatollah Khomeini in 1988. The world’s problems will only be solved based on a new geopolitical reality with Russia and Iran at its heart, the kernel of truth in the Ayatollah’s historic gesture in 1988.
- Javadi Amoli meets Gorbachev in Moscow 1988
- Putin picks up Gorbachev’s torch
* "Anti-Russian Demonstration in Kiev Already in 1990" (2017-01-02, by Miroslava Berdnik, translated by Ollie Richardson & Angelina Siard) [archive.is/LeUHG], attached video [is.gd/Y0Qp8p]:
Having become the witnesses of a neo-Nazi outburst on the streets of Kiev, we ask ourselves with surprise: “From where did it come from?” Alas, the neo-Nazi “dragon teeth” were cautiously sown not only in the brains of our youth, but very often also in the brainless, who imagine themselves to be undervalued creative intelligentsia during the perestroika. Already when naive enthusiasts who were going on the democratic platform of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union to sign a new Union Treaty at party meetings, were expelled from the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, the same naive romantics who offered recipes of updates for public life were dragged in for interrogations in the 5th Department of the KGB. In Western Ukraine Gorbachev already legalized the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, and a conference with the participation of a narrow circle of party historians and Diaspora activists were already organized secretly, which just recently was held in the column of “strategic adversary” on the topic of “the national liberation struggle of the Ukrainian people”.
And by 1990, this spilled out. And slowly educated personnel landed on the streets of Kiev. But surprisingly, already more than a year before the incident of the State Committee on the State of Emergency, and almost 5 months before the “human chain“ on the streets of Kiev organized by the ideological department of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Ukraine, there was a demonstration, not unlike the modern marches of neo-Nazis.
However, then – look at the video, the uninvited Galician guests, who staged in Kiev this Sabbat, explained to the shocked Kievans – we are guests and so you as hospitable hosts need to endure minor inconveniences from our actions… And then they were acting on the principle of the little fox, which at first put one paw on the carriage, and then the second, and then…
Yes, a small addition: the organizers of the Sabbat was SUM – “Union of Ukrainian Youth“ [archive.is/5bXIu]. This Bandera Diaspora’s youth organization not long before was legalized in the Lvov region…
* "Ukraine was Conceived as Anti-Russia, Just Like Pakistan was Anti-India" (2014-12-30, by Nikolay Starikov, translated from Russian by Kristina Rus, fortruss.blogspot.com) [archive.is/Ncl7H] [begin excerpt]: What have our geopolitical foes done for many centuries? They have a certain methodology. Look, year 1949. India. Our British partners, thanks to USSR winning the WWII, were kicked out of India. We know that Indian people fought for independence, but they would fight for another 150 years if Soviet tanks didn't enter Berlin, and more importantly, entered North Korea and began their immediate presence in this region. In this situation the Englishmen and other 'capitalists' had to show that they are for freedom and equality. They had to leave India. What did they do while leaving - they split the country into two parts. They created Pakistan. For those who don't know - never before did Pakistan exist, it was an artificially created country, which name was created by Indian college students who studied in London. Everything as usual - in London. The country was divided along religious lines, Hindus to India, Muslims to Pakistan. Accordingly the population was mixed. Tragedy. What happened in reality? India and anti-India, called Pakistan. Loosing control over a territory they created anti-territory, anti-thesis, and then pit them against each other. Support terrorist groups, instigate conflict, as you see, in Pakistan, and India there are still terrorists, fighters for independence of some states. All of this done by those who left. Again, I would like to stress, while loosing control over a territory, they created anti-territory - India and anti-India.
Same thing in 1949, China. They had a civil war since 1946. They kicked out the Japanese in 1945, talked for a year, and started fighting from 1946 to 1949, 3 years of civil war. USSR supports Mao Tse-tung, the West supports Chiang Kai-shek. Mao Tse-tung won. What did the Americans and the West do? Created anti-China. Evacuated the remains of the army of Chiang Kai-Shek, covered with their navy, and created Taiwan on the island of Formoza. China - Anti-China. We can find many such cases in history.
Year 2011. Russia. What do they do? Bolotnaya square. Navalny. White ribbons. All parliamentary parties are a mess. Russia on the verge a coup. Everything ended well. Putin became president. They lost control over Russia. What do they do? They create anti-Russia. They create anti-thesis. Where? In Ukraine. As soon as Putin became president, they realized they can't cause an internal explosion, they took the course to create anti-thesis, anti-Russia in Ukraine. But they have everything planned, even though they are for the invisible hand of the market, but as you know behind the invisible hand of the market is the invisible fist. With this fist they wanted to strike Ukraine in 2015. In the spring they had planned elections. This is where we speeded this process. In the fall Yanukovich didn't sign the agreement, it got out of hand, state coup. This is why they had such a bloody coup with violating the constitution. They had to create anti-thesis. Immediately - screams about Russia's fault. [end excerpt]
* " 'Crushing of Eastern Europe 1944-1956' " (2013-01-13, Eric Walberg) [archive.is/1iOZA] [begin excerpt]:
Review of Anne Applebaum, Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe 1944-1956, USA: Doubleday, 2012.
The period following WWII in eastern Europe is considered to be a black one, best forgotten. All the pre-war governments had been quasi-fascist dictatorships which either succumbed to the Nazi onslaught (Poland) or actively cooperated with the Germans (Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria). The Soviet liberation was greeted with trepidation by many – with good reason for the many collaborators. [...]
Given this deadly scenario and the subsequent Cold War, it is surprising just how much positive resulted from the Soviet occupation of eastern Europe, and despite author Anne Applebaum’s unremitting anti-communism (her Gulag won the Pulitzer Prize in 2003), it keeps peaking through her Iron Curtain.
Applebaum focuses on Poland, Hungary and East Germany, clearly because they experienced uprisings following Stalin's death in 1953 (sparked by liberal reforms that spun out of control instigated by – of all people – NKVD chief Lavrenti Beria). They are very different cultures and their post-war experiences are very different, despite following a scenario written in Moscow, including both the good (social welfare and anti-capitalism) and the bad ('red terror' and dogmatic imitation of Stalinism).
She drew on dozens of personal interviews of east Europeans who were either key figures in the period of 'high Stalinism' as she calls it or simply people who lived their lives, worked and supported (or didn't) the regime they lived under, and now in their waning years, were glad to reflect on what happened, how they functioned. Appelbaum's husband is Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski, and her treatment of Poland is particularly detailed.
Yes, people were persecuted unjustly, though it was mostly leading political figures who suffered, or people who refused to read the writing on the wall and spoke out (heroically or foolishly, a judgment call) during the wave of purges which began in the late 1940s. Two cardinals' experiences are of interest: the Polish Stefan Wyszynski and the Hungarian Jozsef Mindszenty.
The former compromised with the communists, and only went to prison briefly in September 1953, telling a fellow priest: "Workers, peasants, intellectuals, all kinds of people from all over the nation are in prison, it's good that the primate and priests are in prison too, since out task is to be with the nation." He remained under house arrest until 1956.
Mindszenty refused any compromise with the authorities, instead firing off insults guaranteed to infuriate them. He demanded that the Hungarian church receive US aid directly at a time when the gathering Cold War made this impossible. He publicly pontificated: "The American donations were a sign of the all-embracing solidarity of the world Church. World Bolshevism did not like them at all." As a result of one broadside after another, he was given a life sentence for treason in a 1949 show trial that generated worldwide condemnation, including a UN resolution. Freed in the Hungarian Revolution of 1956, he was granted political asylum and lived in the US embassy in Budapest for 15 years, and finally allowed to leave the country in 1971.
Wyszynski's 1950 secret agreement with the authorities allowed the Church to keep much of its property, separated church from politics, prohibited religious indoctrination in public schools, and allowed authorities to select a bishop from 3 candidates presented. This pact is arguably better than the agreement, say, the French church has. And Karol Wojtyla was selected by the communists as bishop.
What comes through in the interviews is just how positive the whole post-war period was for the majority of the people, how the communist program gave great opportunities to the vast majority in education, work and health care. How despite the 'high Stalin' show trials and inanities of the period, such as the slavish naming of a new socialist town Sztalinvaros in Hungary, a then-young worker on a woman's brigade now remembers trudging through the mud and living in damp barracks "with immense nostalgia", though she later became somewhat disillusioned as an activist. (She protested – and was chastised for it – against the campaign to convince workers to go into debt to buy 'Peace Bonds' which she saw as just a hidden tax.)
Just as the communists created myths and enshrined them in their history books at the time, the victors in the Cold War are now writing their own version of history. Yes, Warsaw’s wedding cake Palace of Culture, a 'gift' from Stalin, and nearby dreary apartment blocks, spoiled the skyline. But the communists also had the old city in Warsaw meticulously reconstructed.
And how to explain Alexander Dymschitz, head of the cultural division of the Soviet Military Administration in post-war Berlin, who insisted that artists get the coveted "first" ration card, a larger piece of bread and more meat and vegetables? Asked why, Dymschitsz declared, "It is possible that there is a Gorki among you. Should his immortal books remain unwritten, only because he goes hungry?"
The whole socialist 'experiment' in eastern Europe lasted only four short decades, and considering the animosity of the West (and many locals), was a remarkable success in raising economic and cultural standards. Applebaum sneers at the trials of "wreckers" and saboteurs, but from day one, the US and its by-then subservient client states in western Europe repressed their own communists, and the CIA waged an undeclared war on the socialist bloc, parachuting in émigrés to blow up bridges, wreck equipment and even spread crop diseases.
Applebaum's meticulous research stopped when it comes to any of this, though there is lots of documentation. For example, the CIA funded Ukrainian fascist leader Mykola Lebed (a Nazi collaborator and murderer of Jews and Poles) from 1949–91 to carry out black ops against the Soviet Union from his front organization Prolog in New York. According to CIA director Allen Dulles, he was “of inestimable value to this Agency and its operations”.
The most spectacular instance of US subversion in the Cold War was the 1980s CIA plan to sabotage the economy of the Soviet Union. A KGB turncoat gained access to Russian purchase orders and the CIA slipped in the flawed software, which triggered “the most monumental non-nuclear explosion and fire ever seen from space”. The KGB never practised this kind of black ops, despite hysterical propaganda to the contrary.
Neither does Applebaum admit the real state of opinion in eastern Europe about this whole period. An October 2010 poll in Berlin among former East Germans revealed that 57% defend the overall record of the former East Germany and 49% agreed that “the GDR had more good sides than bad sides. There were some problems, but life was good there.” Only 30% of Ukrainians approve of the change to democracy (vs 72% in 1991), 60% of Bulgarians believe the old system was better. The disastrous effects of the collapse of the Soviet Union on life expectancy, especially of men, which fell from 64 to 58, is well known.
Compare this with the 60% of Americans in 2010 who said they feel the country is on the wrong track (albeit down from 89% in 2008 during the closing days of Bush II rule).
Iron Curtain also ignores the devastating effect of the collapse of the socialist bloc had on the world at large. By unleashing the free market from the 1980s on, inequality between the richest and poorest nations increased from 88:1 (1970) to 267:1 (2000). The US was henceforth able to invade countries everywhere at will, as indeed it has done, killing millions of innocent people and patriots now dismissed as the ‘enemy’. But this is of no concern to Applebaum from her comfortable perch in Thatcherite London at the Legatum Institute, nor of her staunchly anti-communist hubbie in Warsaw. Nor of other rewriters, financed by the likes of Soros’s Open Institutes.
What is most irritating in Iron Curtain, apart from its cliched Churchillian title, is its assumption that all readers will accept that the term ‘totalitarian’ applies – uniquely – to the socialist bloc, that "totalitarian education would eliminate dissent; that civic institutions, once destroyed, could not be rebuilt; that history, once rewritten, would be forgotten." A 1956 US National Intelligence Estimate made just months before the collapse of the Hungarian communist order, predicted gloomily (and a tad enviously) that over time dissidence in eastern Europe would be worn down "by the gradual increase in the number of Communist-indoctrinated youth".
The alert reader, unburdened by "Intelligence", will find many such glaring hints that 'totalitarian' really has much more to do with the West, with its seductive materialist 'me' culture, fashioning people oblivious to the welfare of their society. Post-WWII western Europe was promised apple pie in the sky, and got it thanks to the Marshall Plan aimed at winning the new Cold War. Once the socialist bloc was no longer, the apple pie disappeared, as we see in the collapse of living standards across Europe (the US as well), there being no competition anymore to the real totalitarian system, where protests are easily absorbed.
Not so the dictatorships of eastern Europe, which were brittle, far from totalitarian. The spontaneous re-emergence of unsanctioned institutions in Hungary after the death of Stalin is particularly impressive. [end excerpt]
* (2017-01-03, Gunnar Angeles) [archive.is/ko8v3]: Stop giving credit to, "Hanoi Jane" when Hanoi Linh deserves it.
- [comment]: USA Communists created roadblocks on military highways, took over military forts, disabled aircraft carriers in the Pacific...
The USA invasion of Vietnam ended, in part, because the military was being broken down by the damn dirty "Hippy" commies! There was a universal conscription (a draft) until 1973, so all men were under threat of conscription, and found the communist ideal something to use when articulating reasons to fight back against USA fascism!
The USA Radical Revolutionaries who were not murdered in the 1970s eventually, being "free", had to become liberal if they wanted a family without hindrance. It was called the "Liberal Betrayal of 1975", when non-White working class revolutionaries noticed many former radicals among the white youth seemed to turn their back on revolutionary activity... Once universal conscription was ended in the USA, many White upper-class youth found themselves without a reason to fight against fascism. Yes, it was remembered as "the Liberal Betrayal of 1975".
* "From Mexico to Africa, Israel’s dark history of training war criminals, gangs & oppression" (2016-03-04, katehon.com) [archive.is/bWGOc]
The United States boasts that it was the first nation to diplomatically recognize Israel on May 14, 1948. However, that initial recognition was de facto only and the Soviet Union recognized Israel de jure on May 17, 1948. The United States did not recognize Israel de jure until 1949 with this declaration by President Harry Truman [archive.is/a5Dmi]:
* January 31, 1949
REVISED DRAFT PRESS RELEASE
On October 24, 1948, the President stated that when a permanent government was elected in Israel, it would promptly be given de jure recognition. Elections for such a government were held on January 25th. The votes have now been counted, and this Government has been officially informed of the.results. The United States Government 13 therefore pleased to extend de jure recognition to the Government of Israel as of this date.
* "Mythology of Secession" (2012-11-16) [archive.is/TodNe] [begin excerpt]:
California–26 Days of Rebellion in a Single County -
There is a distinct difference between a “revolution” and a “rebellion.” When a “rebellion” succeeds, it becomes a “revolution.” If it loses, it remains in history a rebellion.
California RepublicThe entire so-called California Republic consisted of the raising of the “Bear Flag” in the town square of the City of Sonoma, the arrest and incarceration of some Mexican officials, and the formal dissolution of the so-called Republic 26 days later when those who’d declared its existence found out that the United States was at war with Mexico and that the US was going to annex California anyway. It was never recognized by the United States, Mexico or any other nation, never controlled any significant territory even within California, and never set up any formal government.
The main accomplishment of the California Republic was the commission of an atrocity and a war crime against General Mariano Guadalupe who peacefully surrendered to the Bear Flaggers by inviting them into his home and giving them food and drink, just to be rewarded by being incarcerated over a swamp at Sutter’s Fort. He contracted malaria as a result. Of his experiences he later wrote:
"If the men who hoisted the ‘Bear Flag‘ had raised the flag that Washington sanctified by his abnegation and patriotism, there would have been no war on the Sonoma frontier, for all our minds were prepared to give a brotherly embrace to the sons of the Great Republic, whose enterprising spirit had filled us with admiration. Ill-advisedly, however, as some say, or dominated by a desire to rule without let or hindrance, as others say, they placed themselves under the shelter of a flag that pictured a bear, an animal that we took as the emblem of rapine and force. This mistake was the cause of all the trouble, for when the Californians saw parties of men running over their plains and forests under the ‘Bear Flag,’ they thought that they were dealing with robbers and took the steps they thought most effective for the protection of their lives and property."
Green Mountain Republic -
Republic of Vermont existed in the context of a pre-revolutionary war dispute between New Hampshire and New York. It had a functioning government and had declared independence from Great Britain in 1777. However, before the Treaty of Paris was signed between the United States and Great Britain, military hero Ethan Allen — who had also represented Vermont in negotiations to join the Articles of Confederation — entered into negotiations with the British authorities of Quebec in hopes of bringing Vermont back into the British Empire as a separate state or province of Canada. When the negotiations with the British were publicly exposed, they were dropped.
The existence of the Green Mountain Republic was predicated upon resolving the conflicting claims of New Hampshire and New York over its territory and its desire to become part of the United States was never really at issue. Eventually Vermont was admitted as the 14th state in a compromise wherein Kentucky was admitted to the union to keep the balance between free and slave states.
Republic of Hawaii -
The annexation of the Republic of Hawaii was as scurrilous as the annexation of Northern Mexico. United States troops supported the overthrow of the monarchy–which had a functioning legislature–and when this element was uncovered by the Blount Report, commissioned by Democratic President Grover Cleveland (who’d replaced Republican Benjamin Harrison who’d been up to his eyeballs in supporting the coup d’etat which overthrew the monarchy led by the descendants of American missionaries) the United States backed off on the annexation requested by the government of Sanford Ballard Dole.
In 1898, Republican President William McKinley signed a treaty of annexation negotiated with Hawaiian President Dole, but it failed to receive Senate ratification after 38,000 Hawaiians signed a petition against annexation in support of restoration of the constitutional monarchy the Americans had overthrown. Eventually the joint congressional “Newlands Resolution” unilaterally annexed Hawaii over the objections of the Hawaiian population.
With this history, Hawaii has the best claim of legitimacy to secede since there was never anything consensual about the annexation and its legitimacy was even rejected by a President and couldn’t pass muster in the Senate to annex by treaty.
Republic of West Florida -
Wikipedia explains that: "The Republic of West Florida was a short-lived republic in the region of West Florida in 1810. The United States and Spain held long, inconclusive negotiations on the status of West Florida. In the meantime, American settlers established a foothold in the area and resisted Spanish control. British settlers, who had remained, also resented Spanish rule, leading to a rebellion in 1810 and the establishment for exactly ninety days of the independent Republic of West Florida."
On October 27, 1810 President James Madison simply issued a decree, without any congressional authority (other than to claim that the area was part of the Louisiana Purchase from France) purporting to annex the territory. Its President and legislature wanted to resist and to negotiate terms of annexation into the United States but eventually backed down.
Republic of Texas -
The key economic reason for the revolt of Texas against Mexico was because Mexico had abolished slavery and was intent upon suppressing the United States Southern illegal immigrants to its territory that had brought their slaves with them and were intent on keeping them in bondage. After revolting against Mexico, Texas established a government which was recognized by France, Belgium, the Netherlands, and the Republic of Yucatan, which like Texas had revolted against Mexico. Markedly, neither Britain nor Mexico ever recognized the legitimacy of the Texas Republic.
The first treaty negotiated between Texas and the United States for annexation was defeated in the Senate by a vote of 16-35 (not even a majority let alone the required 2/3 vote for treaty ratification) on June 8, 1844. Similar to what would later happen with Hawaii, Texas had to be annexed by a Congressional joint resolution, which provided that if it later saw fit, Texas could be divided up into as many as four (4) separate states:
[begin document excerpt]:
Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States in Congress assembled, That Congress doth consent the territory properly included within, and rightfully belonging to the Republic of Texas, may be erected into a new State, to be called the State of Texas, with a republican form of government, to be adopted by the people of said republic, by deputies in convention assembled, with the consent of the existing government, in order that the same may be admitted as one of the States of this Union.
2. And be it further resolved, That the foregoing consent of Congress is given upon the following conditions, and with the following guarantees, to wit:
First, Said State to be formed, subject to the adjustment by this government of all questions of boundary that may arise with other governments; and the constitution therof, with the proper evidence of its adoption by the people of said Republic of Texas, shall be transmitted to the President of the United States, to be laid before Congress for its final action, on or before the first day of January, one thousand eight hundred and forty-six.
Second, Said State, when admitted into the Union, after ceding to the United States, all public edifices, fortifications, barracks, ports and harbors, navy and navy-yards, docks, magazines, arms, armaments, and all other property and means pertaining to the public defence belonging to the said Republic of Texas, shall retain all the public funds, debts, taxes, and dues of every kind, which may belong to or be due and owning to said Republic of Texas; and shall also retain all the vacant and unappropriated lands lying within its limits, to be applied to the payment of the debts and liabilities of said Republic of Texas, and the residue of said lands, after discharging said debts and liabilities, to be disposed of as State may direct; but in no event are said debts and liabilities to become a charge upon the Government of the United States.
Third, New States, of convenient size, not exceeding four in number, in addition to said State of Texas, and having sufficient population, may hereafter, by the consent of the said State, be formed out of the territory thereof, which shall be entitled to admission under the provisions of the federal constitution. And as such States as may be formed out of that portion of said territory lying south of thirty-six degrees thirty minutes north latitude, commonly known as the Missouri compromise line, shall be admitted to the Union with or without slavery, as the people of each State asking permission may desire. And in such State or States as shall be formed north of said Missouri compromise line, slavery, or involuntary servitude, (except for crime) shall be prohibited.
3. And be it further resolved, That if the President of the United States shall in his judgement and discretion deem it most advisable, instead of proceeding to submit the foregoing resolution of the Republic of Texas, as an overture on the part of the United States for admission, to negotiate with the Republic; then,
Be it Resolved, That a State, to be formed out of the present Republic of Texas, with suitable extant and boundaries, and with two representatives in Congress, until the next appointment of representation, shall be admitted into the Union, by virtue of this act, on an equal footing with the existing States as soon as the terms and conditions of such admission, and the cession of the remaining Texian territory to the United States be agreed upon by the Governments of Texas and the United States: And that the sum of one hundred thousand dollars be, and the same is hereby, appropriated to defray the expenses of missions and negotiations, to agree upon the terms of said admission and cession, either by treaty to be submitted to the Senate, or by articles to be submitted to the two houses of Congress, as the President may direct.
Approved, March 1, 1845.
[end document excerpt]
That Texas had the right to secede as a result of the joint resolution is simply nonsense and mythology.
Texas seceded from the United States on February 1, 1861 and joined the Confederacy on March 2, 1861. When then-Governor (and former President of the Republic of Texas) Sam Houston was evicted from office on March 16, he wrote in refusing to take an oath of allegiance to the Confederacy and refusing to acknowledge the legitimacy of secession:
"Fellow-Citizens, in the name of your rights and liberties, which I believe have been trampled upon, I refuse to take this oath. In the name of the nationality of Texas, which has been betrayed by the Convention, I refuse to take this oath. In the name of the Constitution of Texas, I refuse to take this oath. In the name of my own conscience and manhood, which this Convention would degrade by dragging me before it, to pander to the malice of my enemies, I refuse to take this oath. I deny the power of this Convention to speak for Texas….I protest….against all the acts and doings of this convention and I declare them null and void."
Null and void is precisely what the United States Supreme Court would later rule, 5-2, in an opinion written by Chief Justice Salmon P. Chase in Texas v White (April 12, 1869) 74 U.S. 700, 74 (1 Wall.) 700; 19 L. Ed. 227; 1868 U.S. LEXIS 1056:
"The Union of the States never was a purely artificial and arbitrary relation. It began among the Colonies, and grew out of common origin, mutual sympathies, kindred principles, similar interests, and geographical relations. It was confirmed and strengthened by the necessities of war, and received definite form and character and sanction from the Articles of Confederation. By these, the Union was solemnly declared to ‘be perpetual.’ And when these Articles were found to be inadequate to the exigencies of the country, the Constitution was ordained ‘to form a more perfect Union.’ It is difficult to convey the idea of indissoluble unity more clearly than by these words. What can be indissoluble if a perpetual Union, made more perfect, is not?"
Consequently, Chase wrote that “Considered therefore as transactions under the Constitution, the ordinance of secession, adopted by the convention and ratified by a majority of the citizens of Texas, and all the acts of her legislature intended to give effect to that ordinance, were absolutely null.“ [end excerpt]
* "More 9/11 FBI coverup evidence emerges" (2016-12-29, whowhatwhy.org) [archive.is/gV91z]
* "9/11 should be taught in school to save kids from conspiracy theories – ex-Navy boss" (2017-01-05, rt.com) [archive.is/s4tHK]
* "High times with narcotic Nazi warfare" (2016-12-23, by Lukasz Kamienski) [archive.is/8VlpD] [begin excerpt]: What do Ukrainian combatants in the ongoing conflict with Russia, ISIL fighters, American pilots during Operation Iraqi Freedom, child soldiers in Sierra Leone and Liberia, American servicemen fighting in Vietnam and Korea, and soldiers on every side of World War II all have in common?
They were all boosted for combat with amphetamines or amphetamine-type stimulants. Speed is running through the veins of Ukrainian fighters. Jihadists in Syria have been buzzing on Captagon — fenethylline, which metabolizes in the body into amphetamine and theophylline. American pilots have access to dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine). Juvenile soldiers were given amphetamine, known locally as “bubbles.” U.S. military personnel in Vietnam were liberally prescribed dextroamphetamine. During the Korean War, American servicemen were also supplied with methamphetamine. In World War II, British and American soldiers were issued amphetamine (Benzedrine), whereas German and Japanese troops were distributed methamphetamine (mainly Pervitin and Philopon). And what of the Finns?
It is a little known fact that during the Continuation War (June 1941 to September 1944) against the Soviets, the Finnish military also used meth. On becoming a co-belligerent of the Third Reich, Finland got access to Pervitin, the German cutting-edge “assault pill.” In 1941, the Finns had at their disposal 850,000 tablets of a crystal meth-style drug that was mass-manufactured by the Berlin-based Temmler-Werke pharmaceutical company, with more supplies on the way. This potent stimulant was issued mainly to special commando units on their demanding, long distance raids in deep snow and later also to regular troops. Yet, meth was but an addition to the vast pharmacological ordnance stockpiled by 1940 by the Finnish Defence Forces’ Medical Department of the General Staff for the Winter War (November 1939 to March 1940). The chemical arsenal included cocaine, heroin, morphine, and opium. The extent of the army’s use of intoxicants may be shocking, but as Mikko Ylikangas argues in his book on the modern history of drugs in Finland (Unileipää, kuolonvettä, spiidiä. Huumeet Suomessa 1800–1950), it mirrored their rampant medicinal consumption in the society. The Continuation War was, to paraphrase Carl von Clausewitz, the continuation of the Winter War by pharmacological means.
While at the beginning the Finns employed these means for purely medical purposes, their Pervitin supplier — Nazi Germany — turned uppers into an integral part of its military effort. Total war required the full commitment of the nation’s assets, thus demanding that humans go beyond their usual limits. Pervitin, the “people’s drug,” matched the purposes of boosting the fighting spirit among soldiers and improving the productivity of workers. In his book Art of War, Sun Tzu writes that “Speed is the essence of war”. This could not be more accurate a remark to describe the speedy war of Blitzkrieg, for which German forces were primed by chemical speed. Between April and December 1939, the Temmler company supplied the German military with 29 million Pervitin pills, many of which were used experimentally during the campaign against Poland in September 1939. At the peak of the Blitzkrieg in the spring of 1940, troops were issued some 35 million tablets. The Wehrmacht’s amazingly rapid advances appear less incredible given that in some units many soldiers took up to four Pervitin pills a day for weeks on end.
It is precisely this extentsive use of psychopharmaceutical performance enhancement in the Third Reich that is the subject of Norman Ohler’s fascinating and eye-opening book. Though by no means the first work on the synergy between drugs and war under National Socialism, Blitzed is by far the most comprehensive account in English of the remarkable ways in which intoxicants fuelled the Nazi war machine.
The large-scale use of uppers has barely been recognized in the dominant narratives of World War II, military performance, and decision-making. Now, here comes Blitzed, aspiring to fill the gap in “the pharmacological story” of state-society and government-military relations in the Third Reich, providing what historiography has thus far lacked. [end excerpt]
Northbay Uprising FM Radio News is broadcast courtesy of 89.5 FM-KZCT [OzcatRadio.com]
On Ozcat Radio, tune-in online [is.gd/kJ1EUt] for:
- The Stranger News, broadcast Thursdays, 5 to 5:30pm, featuring latest news on science, technology, space, and cutting-edge research on the mind, world history, and entheogenics!
- The Northbay UpRising Morningshow, broadcast Tuesdays, 7 to 9am, with local news, and topics on Peace, the Ecology, Do-It-Yourself ideas, and Communitarianism!
- KBBF Weekly News, broadcast Tuesdays at 8:45pm, on the Northbay UpRising morningshow!
Also tune-in to these other radio shows!
* KZFR Peace and Social Justice Show