Thursday, August 18, 2016
[futurism.com] [kurzweilai.net] [eurekalert.org]
* "German student creates electromagnetic harvester that gathers free electricity from thin air" (2013-02-12, extremetech.com) [archive.is/Eu1f8]
* "A Literal Window into our Second Brain in our stomachs" (2016-06-12, newsweek.com) [archive.is/naMNG]
* "Brain-linked prosthetic arm scheduled to hit markets by year’s end" (2016-07-12, rt.com) [archive.is/u2FuH]
* "Bio-cyborg made of rat heart and gold swims obstacle course" (2016-07-10, rt.com) [archive.is/fdG0z]
* "Synthetic Stingray May Lead To A Better Artificial Heart" (2016-07-07, npr.org) [archive.is/p1hXA]
* "Venus may have once been habitable, possessed atmosphere similar to Earth - NASA" (2016-08-11, rt.com) [archive.is/xn3xN]
* "There's an unidentified object in a strange orbit past Neptune, and no one can explain it The outer Solar System just got even weirder" (2016-08-11, sciencealert.com) [archive.is/gF5bh]
* " ‘Our solar system just got weirder’: Bizarre new planet with offbeat orbit stumps scientists" (2016-08-11, rt.com) [archive.is/2eG0C]: A tiny, mystery planet located on the far side of Neptune is breaking all the rules and leaving scientists baffled.
Niku, named after Chinese word for ‘Rebel’, has a diameter of just 200km (120 miles), is 160,000-times smaller than Neptune and behaves like no other similarly-sized planet in the Solar System.
This trans-Neptunian object orbits the Sun in a retrograde direction, meaning it rotates in the opposite direction to the Sun’s rotation. The angle it takes for this unusual orbit is at 110 degrees to the flat plane of the Solar System, on which other planets move around the Sun.
And that means it’s currently above the plane and rising higher but will eventually cross over, dropping below the plane as it continues its orbit. The fact that its orbit is retrograde was likely caused by a collision with an unknown mass or a gravitational pull by a mystery force.
“Angular momentum forces everything to have that one spin direction all the same way,” said Michele Bannister, an astronomer from Queen’s University, Belfast in Northern Ireland. “It’s the same thing with a spinning top, every particle is spinning the same direction.”
Matthew Holman of Harvard-Smithsonian Centre for Astrophysics was among the team of scientists who discovered Niku and admits this phenomenon throws up many questions.
He said: “It suggests there's more going on in the outer Solar System than we're fully aware of.”
It's quite possible Niku is part of a group of highly-inclined objects all moving in a strange orbital pattern around the Solar System.
The discovery of another group of strangely-related objects in the Kuiper belt led to the claim earlier this year by Caltech scientists Konstantin Batygin and Michael E. Brown that there was a massive ninth planet in the far reaches of our Solar System.
The appropriately-named Planet Nine is said to be 10-times as big as Earth and orbits the Sun once every 10,000 to 20,000 years.
“Whenever you have some feature that you can’t explain in the outer solar system, it’s immensely exciting because it’s in some sense foreshadowing a new development,” Batygin told New Scientist.
* "Mystery object in weird orbit beyond Neptune cannot be explained" (2016-08-10, newscientist.com) [archive.is/7JlC0]
* "Yahweh’s Divorce from the Goddess Asherah in the Garden of Eden" (2014-10-06, mythologymatters.wordpress.com) [archive.is/tUP5Q]
* "Do these images prove that early Christianity had FEMALE priests? Vatican unveils frescoes hinting that women held power in the early Church; The 230-240 AD frescoes were found in the Catacombs of Priscilla of Rome; One fresco shows a group of women celebrating banquet of the Eucharist; Another shows woman with outstretched arms like those of a priest; Vatican says assertions that these women were priests are 'fairy tales' " (2013-11-20, dailymail.co.uk) [archive.is/oxmGW], photo caption: Newly restored Italian frescoes have revealed what could have been women priests in the early Christian church. The female pictured in this fresco has her arms outstretched as if holding Mass.
* "Russian Atlantis: Tomb Raider’s Invisible City of Kitezh was a REAL Place" (2016-06-18, ancient-origins.net) [archive.is/zXj1i]:
In the action-adventure video game series Rise of the Tomb Raider, Lara Croft finds the remnants of a once powerful civilization and searches for the location of an artifact known as the Divine Source, believed to be buried in the lost city of Kitezh. While the story line of the game is a work of fiction, historical texts suggest that Kitezh, known as ‘The Invisible City’, was a real place that is thought to now lie submerged within Lake Svetloyar in Russia.
Accounts of the ancient city of Kitezh are believed to trace back to the earliest days of Rus’, however, the first written reference appeared in the Kitezh Chronicle, written by the Old Believers in the 1780s. (In Russian Orthodox church history, the Old Believers separated from the official Russian Orthodox Church after 1666 as a protest against church reforms.)
According to this Chronicle, the city of Lesser Kitezh was founded by Prince Georgy, Grand Prince of Vladimir in the early 13th century, on the banks of the Volga River in the Voskresensky District of the Nizhny Novgorod Oblast in central Russia. He then discovered a beautiful site further upstream, on the shores of Lake Svetloyar where he decided to build the city of Greater Kitezh. It was established as a monastic city and considered holy by all who inhabited it.
“The Prince made the city beautiful, built it round with churches, monasteries, boyars’ palaces. Then he encircled it with a trench and raised up walls with embrasures,” write Barker & Grant in ‘The Russia Reader: History, Culture, Politics’.
The Destruction of Kitezh -
In 1238, North Eastern Russia was invaded by Mongols under the leadership of Batu Khan, ruler from 1207 to 1255 AD and founder of the Golden Horde. After besieging the city of Vladimir and surrounding cities in Suzdal, Khan heard of the powerful city of Kitezh and was determined to capture it. The Mongols first arrived at Lesser Kitezh. The Grand Prince Georgy rode out to meet them but was eventually forced to flee back towards Greater Kitezh, whose location was still hidden from the Mongols.
Batu Khan, infuriated, ordered captives to be tortured until they gave up the location of Greater Kitezh. The captives would not give up the secret of their holy city as they believed that to do so would inflict an eternal curse on them and their descendants. However, one of the captives, Kuter’ma, unable to withstand the torture, revealed the secret paths to Lake Svetloyar.
The Chronicle’s description of what happened next is vague and ambiguous. “All that is known is that the Prince managed to hide the holy vessels and liturgical accoutrements in the lake, and then died in battle. By God’s will the city itself became invisible; in its place was seen water and forest,” report Barker & Grant.
Legends of the Invisible City -
It is not clear exactly what happened to Kitezh, but legends and folklore have surrounded its mysterious disappearance for centuries. According to one popular tale, the entire city was submerged into the lake by the will of God, to protect its treasures getting into the hands of the Mongols. This has led to Lake Svetloyar sometimes being called the “Russian Atlantis”. Legend says that the army of the Golden Horde watched in dismay as the city sunk into the lake, the last thing they saw being the white glistening dome of the cathedral with a cross on top of it. The reality of the city’s disappearance may not have been so remarkable. Some archaeologists have suggested that the city may have suffered a landslide causing it to disappear into the lake.
In folk tales, the city of Kitezh is said to only be visible to those who are pure in their heart and soul. Believers in the legends often report hearing church bells coming from the lake or seeing lights or even the outlines of buildings beneath the water’s surface. In times past, pilgrims used to visit the lake in the hope of hearing the bells. They went there to pray and left alms for the city’s dwellers. It is also said that women visited the lake during World War Two to pray for their sons.
In Search of the Russian Atlantis -
In 2011, the Vetluzhsky archaeological expedition set out to investigate what archaeological remains could be found around Lake Svetloyar. Excavations revealed traces of an ancient settlement, along with fragments of traditional Russian pottery. The scientific team plans to continue their explorations to see what else they may find from the ancient settlement. According to their assessment, the hill in which the remains were found was always prone to landslides, one of which may well have caused an ancient city to become submerged in the lake, giving rise to the fantastic legends of the invisible city of Kitezh.
- Barker, A.M. and Grant, B. ‘The Russian Reader: History, Culture, Politics’.
- "Lost worlds: The drowned Russian city of Kitezh" (folkrealmstudies.weebly.com) [archive.is/dSPX9]
- "The Legend of the City of Kitezh Submerging Itself in Svetloyar Lake: Religious Fables, Folklore, Legends, and Stories" (all-creatures.org) [archive.is/E6pCY]
- "Discovering the Russian Atlantis; At the Svetloyar Lake near Nizhny Novgorod, archaeologists have found traces of an unknown medieval settlement that became a prototype for Kitezh, the 'Russian Atlantis' " (2012-07-04, rbth.com) [archive.is/aVmZI]
- Illustration caption: Stage-set design for Scene Two, Act Four of the opera the "Tale of the Lost City of Kitezh and the Maiden Fevronia" by Rimsky-Korsakov. 1929
In the collection of the National Archaeological Museum, La Paz, Bolivia [archive.is/dyR5t].
* "British Cop witnesses tall White aliens inspecting fresh crop circle" (disclose.tv) [archive.is/oY9Zw]. The Police Officer did not have a history of mental illness, nor is a Police Officer willing to sacrifice their standing by lying about such a preposterous story... These types of eyewitnesses describe similar encounters, though.
Thursday, August 11, 2016
Tune in Thursdays 4 to 5pm (PST), at 89.5FM in the northeast San Pablo Bay Area, or online at [is.gd/kJ1EUt].
Hosted by Dr.G., Minister of Information of the Northbay MDS.
Be a Community Journalist with our Community Journalist's Notebook [link].
Send news & info to [NorthbayMDS@) gmail.com]!
Northbay Uprising News scripts [link].
Archived webpages at (archive.org) and at (archive.is) are available even if the original is taken down. News links are provided for educational purposes only, and do not constitute an endorsement of political tendencies, or, of foreign governments. Circumvent "Error 451" [archive.is/WOZXx] by using the proxy server at [webproxy.to] or, by using Tor Browser [is.gd/r18EVD].
Stories are reviewed and provided by Northbay MDS Committees and Affiliates
BAY AREA SOLIDARITY
Updates on campaigns for Peace, Justice, & Freedom across the greater Bay Area, Norcal, and Socal, and across the nation!
* "Which side brough knives to the Sacramento Nazi rally?" (2016-06) [is.gd/ziwlCW], the AntiFa anti-Fascist network does what the domestic security agencies refuse to do... uncover the identities of murderous Nazis in California!
* "Maryland: Police Change Story in Fatal Shooting of Korryn Gaines" (2016-08-04, democracynow.org) [archive.is/gLpeF]: Meanwhile, in Maryland, new details have emerged in the police shooting of an African-American woman after an armed standoff. Police say they shot and killed Korryn Gaines Monday after she pointed a rifle at them. Her five-year-old son was in the apartment with her and was injured by gunfire. Police initially said they entered Korryn Gaines’s apartment with a key obtained from her landlord. But court documents say police kicked down the door. Police were at Gaines’s apartment to execute an arrest warrant related to a traffic violation. Police have not said who fired the shot that injured Gaines’ son.
* "Police confirm Korryn Gaines’ 5-yo son’s claim: He was shot by police" (2016-08-06, rt.com) [archive.is/eL4Ih]
* [Comment by Emelyne Museaux]: #KorrynGaines was shot and killed by police in her own home last night. Her 5 year old son was shot, too. Now, I don't want to hear about what the cops claimed happened in her home last night, because I don't believe a word they say. But I'm alarmed that this Black woman, who was very vocal about police corruption on social media, was hunted in her own home on the premise of a warrant for two traffic tickets, and that same social media account (a motive for her extrajudicial murder) was wiped completely clean.
This woman was made an example of for speaking out. That's all there is to it.
* Screenshot of the fake Twitter.com account for "Korryn Gaines" [archive.is/etbcZ], made to assassinate her character in favor of the narrative that upholds extreme human rights abuse.
TOWARDS REVOLUTIONARY SOLUTIONS
* "Fed up with landlord, tenants buy their own building, make it a coop" (2016-06-24, ABC-7 News, wjla.com) [archive.is/pw0VJ]: A group of neighbors in Northwest D.C. were fed up with what was going on in their building, so they bought it. And part of their inspiration came from 7 ON YOUR SIDE.
ABC7 News reported on conditions at 5751 Colorado Avenue NW in a report seven years ago when tenants told us they had no heat.
The story ended years later not with the landlord cashing in on the building by driving the tenants out, but with the help of the city and the nonprofit, Mi Casa, the tenants were able to get loans to buy out the landlord and renovate the building as a cooperative.
Fourteen of the tenants in the 28-unit building are back in their old units after two years in temporary housing.
On Saturday, they're going to officially celebrate the reopening and take applications for coop members who want to move into the 14 unoccupied units.
LUCHA PARA LA NUEVA AZTLAN!
National Chicano Moratorium 2016
August 28 at Ruben Salazar Park in East Los Angeles
CONTACT : NCMC, firstname.lastname@example.org (323) 687-0963
YA BASTA !
Unite Against Law Enforcement Abuse & White Supremacy
- Support Self Determination and the
- Liberation of Occupied Territories
- The NCMC calls for a Moratorium on:
- Migra Raids
- Re-Invasion of Middle East
- Migra Deportations
- Environmental Exploitation
- Sheriff Corruption
- Ethnic Cleansing
- Police Abuse
- Economic Exploitation
- Drone Surveillance
- Border Militarization
Join the Marcha Y Rally, 9:00am from Atlantic Park, 570 S. Atlantic Blvd., & 6thSt., to Ruben Salazar Park, 3864 Whittier Blvd., and Ditman Ave., for 12:30pm Rally.
ORGANIZED BY: NATIONAL CHICANO MORATORIUM COMMITTEE (NCMC), NATIONAL BROWN BERETS de AZTLAN (NBBdA), CALIFORNIA LEAGUE OF LATINOS AND CHICANOS, COMITE PRO DEMOCRACIA EN MEXICO. Endorsed by Sonoma County Central Committee, Peace & Freedom Party
SOLIDARITY WITH THE NEW AFRICAN NATION!
Black Power! Revive the Community! Defend the Nation!
National News [blackagendareport.com] [atlantablackstar.com] [sfbayview.com]
* (2016-08-09, BRLP) [archive.is/TMrB7], photos [archive.is/p8tP9] [archive.is/1xOru].
* "Tomi Lahren: Police will shoot blacks on ‘regular basis’ until they condemn Black Lives Matter" (2016-08-05, rawstory.com) [archive.is/WD6W8]
* "Public Enemy's Professor Griff to RT: Black Lives Matter offers a platform to fight oppression" (2016-08-06, rt.com) [archive.is/AHJpW]
* "Black Lives Matter Just Delivered Their 10 Point Manifesto, and This Is What They Want" (by Tom Proctor) [archive.is/AdIP6]
* "Black Lives Matters activists outline policy goals" (2015-08-21, bbc.com) [archive.is/gRBAp]
* "Is Black Lives Matter turning socialist?" (2016-08-05, theweek.com) [archive.is/vXDh7]
* "Gunshots heard after car hits Ferguson protester on anniversary of Michael Brown’s death" (2016-08-10, rt.com) [archive.is/BBQbf]
* "#BlackLivesMatter briefly blocks road to Heathrow Airport, more action planned across UK" (2016-08-05, rt.com) [archive.is/XXRcm]
* "Civil War: Black Activists Declare Jihad On America" (2016-08-08, yournewswire.com) [archive.is/JRBWV], more info [archive.is/13dUD]
* "Don’t Like Black Lives Matter? Get Ready To Lose Young Jews Like Us" (2016-08-04, by Ally Little and Michelle Weiser, forward.com) [archive.is/W5M0f]
* "The Black Lives Matter platform: How the Jewish community got distracted by one word; While numerous major Jewish organizations and leaders have remained silent, many in the U.S. Jewish community have been thrown for a loop by black American solidarity with the Palestinian struggle, and the terminology that sometimes includes" (2016-08-05, 972mag.com) [archive.is/bxBWe]
* "Jewish groups outraged after Black Lives Matter accuses Israel of genocide" (2016-08-05, rt.com) [archive.is/bZqGs]
* "Jewish Allies Condemn Black Lives Matter’s ‘Apartheid’ Platform" (2016-08-04, by Sam Kestenbaum, forward.com) [archive.is/nLMqi]
* "Black families have 10% net wealth of average white families" (2016-08-10, rt.com) [archive.is/jFFfl]
* "Marcus Books is coming back to San Francisco" (2016-08-05, sfbayview.com) [archive.is/bZ1SI] [begin excerpt]:
About the Marcus Book Stores -
Drs. Julian and Raye Richardson, two seriously committed community activists and avid readers, scholars and SF State professors, opened The Success Book Co. in the front of their print shop on Fillmore Street in San Francisco in 1960. Their store supplied books by and about Black people from throughout the world and time.
After reading “The Philosophy and Opinions of Marcus Garvey,” the Richardsons renamed the store Marcus Books, and another store was opened in Oakland. The Marcus Book Stores have hosted more major Black writers than the entire Harlem Renaissance, which gives evidence of the increase in Black authorship. The stores also provide a showcase for many fledgling writers.
The San Francisco store moved seven times and the Oakland twice in their 56 years of bookselling, and the new location in the African American Arts and Culture Complex bears further witness to the resilience of their spirit. [end excerpt]
Photo caption: Black San Franciscans will never forget this old Marcus Book Store, an official historic landmark, at 1712 Fillmore St., its home for 33 years. The graceful old Victorian had previously been home to Jimbo’s Bop City jazz club back when the Fillmore District was known worldwide as Harlem of the West and had been saved from Redevelopment bulldozers when the district was destroyed.
information collected by the Worker's Defense Committee [is.gd/VOkmLr]
* "Three Recent Wins Prove Old-Fashioned Union Power Isn’t Dead Yet" (2016-07-07, labornotes.org) [archive.is/35BNh] [begin excerpt]:
POWER IN NUMBERS -
Workers in all three fights turned out big numbers for whatever they did.
At Chrysler, that meant mobilizing quickly for a “no” vote. Fired-up rank and filers, many of them new to organizing, generated tactics, confidence, and excitement through Facebook discussion groups.
Members showed up at contract information meetings and badgered the officials sent to sell the deal. They made “No More Tiers” T-shirts and wore them into the plants. A few dozen workers who happen to work near the UAW’s International headquarters even held a vote-no rally there.
Workers studied the 456-page proposal and found concessions not mentioned in the union’s cheery “highlights” brochure. They publicized those to win big “no” votes among those destined for a new Tier 3.
Meanwhile, Teamster retirees formed local committees that met monthly and steadily grew. Alex Adams of Cleveland describes “a very depressing day” in Washington in 2013, listening to high-paid Pension Fund officials testify to Congress on the need for cuts.
When he and his four friends got home, he said, “we formed our committee, put the word out, went to the retiree clubs, and we had another meeting that was over 150 people—and it just started building from there.”
GREW AND GREW -
“Committees to Protect Pensions” grew in 20 cities, along with 60 Facebook pages. Retirees found meeting space at diners, union halls, the local American Legion. They held letter-writing drives, visited congressional representatives—even picketed a newspaper to get a reporter’s attention.
Mass meetings of 300, 500, 800, 1,200 were held from Milwaukee to Kansas City. At some, the government’s “Special Master” got an earful about what the cuts would mean. Helping the work were Teamsters for a Democratic Union and the Pension Rights Center.
In April 2,000 from 20 states rallied in Washington. A Houston local sent a busload of retirees and their spouses 1,400 miles to attend. “There were people there with walkers, with canes, with oxygen bottles,” said North Carolina retiree Brad Colesworthy. “You have never seen such emotion, such brotherhood and togetherness.”
Verizon workers, too, turned out in big numbers: 500 and 800 greeted the CEO and CFO, respectively, when they appeared at conferences. The “Good Morning America” show hosted 250 strikers in their red T-shirts. Others were greeted as heroes at a Bernie Sanders rally.
STOP THE WORK -
But the strikers also did the traditional thing a strike is supposed to do—stop work from getting done. Hurt profits.
Many strikes these days are “publicity strikes”—one day on the picket line. But the phone workers put up roving pickets: they harassed scabs and managers to make it hard or impossible for them to install and repair (which they were no good at in any case).
When Verizon boarded scabs at hotels that it used as dispatch centers, strikers organized wee-hours “wake-up calls” outside. To build solidarity and publicity, locals recruited other unions and community groups to adopt Verizon retail stores to picket.
Meanwhile CWA members, though not their fellow strikers in the Electrical Workers (IBEW), had a strike fund behind them, with benefits of $200-$300 a week and a promise to pay medical bills once the company cut off insurance.
As the strike wore on, analysts predicted hundreds of millions of dollars in lost profits. Verizon caved. [end excerpt]
* "Southern California: 47,000 grocery workers prepare to strike" (2016-08-04, peoplesworld.org) [archive.is/fF3KA]
* "Portland Teachers Expose Lead in Schools" (2016-08-02, labornotes.org) [archive.is/1YYNW]
* "Organizing against the Toxins Lurking in Our Schools" (2016-08-02, labornotes.org) [archive.is/rCjdi]
* "NLRB forcing employers to reimburse illegally fired workers" (2016-08-04, peoplesworld.org) [archive.is/suIXg]
COMMUNITY FASCISM WATCH
* "Mayor Silva arrested; charges include crimes against children" (2016-08-04, recordnet.com) [archive.is/fS1Uv]
* "Child sex trafficking – as easy in Seattle as ordering a pizza; Child sex trafficking has become a $42 billion a year illegal industry. Local police estimate up to 500 teens are working as sex slaves every day in King County" (2014, mynorthwest.com) [archive.is/mVAEz] [begin excerpt]: Martin, national director of Compassion 2 One, based in Issaquah, says he didn’t know anything about child sex trafficking until about six years ago.
“I was just one of those people who thought girls did this by choice,” he says. “Once I found out this was organized crime, or gangs, or just every day guys who were buying these girls. I found out how sophisticated it was, how premeditated it was.”
His organization works to educate and rescue children – locally, nationally and internationally – from what has become a $42 billion a year illegal industry.
“If a guy has a hotel room, he’s got three to four girls working between 10 o’clock at night until 5 o’clock in the morning and he’s charging anywhere from $200 to $250 per sex act,” Martin says. “The girl is going to service six to seven guys a night, do that for 30 days and the guy is a millionaire because you know she’s not keeping any of the money.” [end excerpt]
* "Sex-for-drugs sting nabs Virginia mayor on meth dealing charges" (2016-08-05, rt.com) [archive.is/VJ3nl] [begin excerpt]: The mayor of Fairfax, Virginia, has been arrested in an undercover sting during which he allegedly tried to arrange a drug deal with cops via a ‘sex’ website.
Fairfax County police created a fake profile on a website used to organize sexual encounters between men in an operation to catch a person suspected of dealing methamphetamine online. [...]
Silverthorne holds the office of mayor of the City of Fairfax, an affluent area in the DC suburbs, and is in his third term. He has, according to the Fairfax government website [archive.is/1DpS6], championed “quality of life issues” and worked to promote “a healthy lifestyle.”
He was among a group of Virginian 'Mayors for Hillary' who endorsed Hillary Clinton's presidential election candidacy [archive.is/4LoVb] ahead of the state's primary in March.
The 50-year-old, who also served on the city council from 1990 to 2012, was arrested Thursday at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Tysons Corner as he tried to deal “methamphetamine to the undercover detectives,” say police [archive.is/xwImC].
Silverthorne has been charged with “felony distribution of methamphetamine and misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia.”
Two other men, 34-year-old Juan Jose Fernandez and Caustin Lee McLaughlin, 21, both from Maryland, were later arrested on suspicion of supplying the hardcore drug. Police say McLaughlin was tasered as he resisted arrest, but there were no reported injuries in the altercation.
All three men were taken to Fairfax County Adult Detention Center. [end excerpt]
Community Fascism in Vallejo, the "City of God":
* "Orcem’s PR consultant donated $250 to JumpStart Vallejo" (2016-08-02, timesheraldonline.com) [archive.is/GiBrU]:
A public relations firm, associated with a controversial project to build a cement facility in South Vallejo, gave $250 to the political action committee JumpStart Vallejo, according to financial documents released by the Vallejo City Clerk’s office on Tuesday.
All active committees were required to submit financial forms to the city clerk on Monday outlining all expenditure and contributions received from Jan. 1 through June 30 of this year.
Zell & Associates represents Orcem Americas, Inc., which is seeking to operate an industrial facility producing cement.
Zell & Associates donated the money in late March, weeks after the Architectural Heritage and Landmarks Commission (AHLC) approved an application brought forth by the Vallejo Architectural Heritage Foundation, which called for placing six buildings and structures at the site onto the city’s Heritage Survey List and designating the structures as city landmarks.
The application noted the historic significance of an administration building, flour mill, garage, grain silos, managers house, and a dock on the site at the former Sperry Flour Mill site on Derr Street.
JumpStart Vallejo was formed to support several candidates during the 2013 Vallejo City Council election.
According to financial records from that election, JumpStart Vallejo spent over $84,000 of its independent expenditures on advertising for the Pippin Dew-Costa, Rozzana Verder-Aliga, Tony Summers, and Jess Malgapo campaigns. Expenditures were also used on phone banking, consulting, campaign signs and voter polling.
Dew-Costa, Malgapo, and Verder-Aliga were elected to the council that year. JumpStart Vallejo also spent thousands of dollars opposing Katy Miessner, Joanne Schively, and Liat Meitzenheimer’s campaigns, according to the same financial records.
According to Tuesday’s documents, Olympia of Vallejo, LLC, and Skyview Memorial Lawn each contributed $1,000 to
JumpStart Vallejo. Donations of $250 from Jack Anthony Industries, Inc, and $100 from Klimisch, Inc., were also received by JumpStart Vallejo.
Nestor Aliga, husband of Verder-Aliga, donated $250 to the committee, according to financial records.
In related election news, Dew-Costa’s 2018 re-election committee received $4,000 from Diane Selmer of Clayton, according to financial records. The councilwoman has also donated $4,000 in personal loans to the committee.
* "Prostitutes trying to make Vallejo comeback? They have police attention" (2016-08-05, timesheraldonline.com) [archive.is/PkZDj] [begin excerpt]: “What happens is at first you see a few ugly ones returning, and, when nothing happens, (the prostitutes that arrive) get prettier and prettier,” she said. “Some of the ones here recently are from Oakland. (A man I know) engaged one in conversation the other day and she told him that the police were cracking down in Oakland, and they’d heard the police are not as on top if it in Vallejo, so they’re coming here.”
This could lead to word getting out among the regional criminal element, that Vallejo is the place to be, Conrad said.
“This brings the drug dealers and the thieves because they think it’s safer,” she said. [end excerpt]
Documenting human-rights abuse by domestic security agencies
[NorthbayCopwatch.blogspot.com] [copblock.org] [wecopwatch.org] [filmingcops.com]
* "Sonoma County Sheriff Promotes Deputy Who Shot Andy Lopez" (2016-08-04, kqed.org) [archive.is/dORtY]
* "New allegations of racial profiling by San Jose cops" (2015-07-30, mercurynews.com) [archive.is/TjU0t]
* "San Jose cop followed black family home and held them at gunpoint for no reason: lawsuit" (2015-07-30, rawstory.com) [archive.is/Umz1a]
* "Never lie to the FBI: Ex-LA County sheriff indicted for conspiracy, obstruction of justice" (2016-08-06, rt.com) [archive.is/qpA6D]
* "Police: Parking In Newport Beach, CA Makes You Part Of A Criminal Investigation" (2016-08-04, by Mike Maharrey) [archive.is/6APIH]
* " ‘I’m gonna come after you’: Sheriff raids house of man suspected of calling him corrupt" (2016-08-05, rt.com) [archive.is/ZR5ud]
- (murderdata.org) [archive.is/8mWqL]
- "Crime clearance rate in the United States in 2014, by type" (statista.com) [archive.is/krFG6]
- "Sexual Murder: Catathymic and Compulsive Homicides" (by Louis B. Schlesinger) [is.gd/7O4pYm]
- "2014 Crime in the United States" (ucr.fbi.gov) [is.gd/3ykHA6]
* "Instead of Easily Saving Her Life, Officers Mocked Young Woman as She Died in Front of Them" (2016-08-05, Matt Agorist) [archive.is/MGiKl] [begin excerpt]: According to the lawsuit, a jail nurse falsely claimed she found Kronberger to be improving during an examination hours before she died, according to the report in Seattlepi. In truth, the former long-distance runner couldn’t even walk to a drink cart just feet from her cell.
Writing in court papers, according to Seattlepi, Moore said corrections officers can be seen on surveillance video joking about Kronberger’s condition. One deputy mimics the dying young woman while a sergeant laughingly makes mocking hand motions. Another is seen dancing in front of her cell door.
“Lindsay was medically fragile, vulnerable, and completely under their power and control,” Moore said in the civil complaint. “They stood just outside her cell mimicking and mocking her as she lay on her bed suffering needlessly.”
Eventually, Kronberger could not walk at all. She asked for a wheelchair but was denied.
In a concrete cage, littered with vomit-filled biohazard bags, Kronberger’s heart stopped while she was face down in a prison toilet. All the while, officers morbidly cheering on her death. [end excerpt]
* "Cop and His Family Face Death Threats After Exposing Racist Police Chief" (2015-09-12, countercurrentnews.com) [archive.is/lfbni]
* "DOJ finds Baltimore PD targeted minorities, ignored and belittled sexual assault cases" (2016-08-10, rt.com) [archive.is/ohv96]
* "Ambush on Arkansas police officers leaves one dead and K-9 missing" (2016-08-11, rt.com) [archive.is/wAfNo]
NORTHBAY COPWATCH: Domestic Security Agencies and private-sector partners
* "Non-Conformity and Questioning Authority Are Now Considered Mental Illnesses" (2015-12-03, countercurrentnews.com) [archive.is/4gd3y]
* "Group Promoting Peace and Love Labeled As Terrorists, Surveilled by DHS and Police" (2015-02-01, thefreethoughtproject.com) [archive.is/PeWEF]
* "Spying's New Frontier: Private Firm Collects Data on 'Every American Adult' ; 'We have data on that 21-year-old who's living at home with mom and dad' " (2016-08-05, commondreams.org) [archive.is/E63B5]
* "A secret group bought the ingredients for a dirty bomb — here in the U.S." (2016-08-04, Washington Post newspaper) [archive.is/oqtqZ]
* "WASHINGTON POST FOLLOWS WHOWHATWHY’S LEAD ON ORLANDO RESPONSE TIME" (2016-08-03, whowhatwhy.org) [archive.is/Q1Ksr]
* " ‘Treated like criminals’: Muslim American couple kicked off Delta flight ‘based on appearance’ " (2016-08-05, rt.com) [archive.is/LnxE2]
* "FBI releases 18 hours of surveillance footage from Freddie Gray protests" (2016-08-05, rt.com) [archive.is/xwdrF]
* "It Is Now Illegal To Wear An Anonymous Mask In America" (2016-04-12, by Sean Adl-Tabatabai) [archive.is/gV3eL] [begin excerpt]:
Police in America have begun cracking down on people who are caught wearing the Anonymous mask in public, arresting them without due process.
The most recent case of a man harassed and arrested by the police for sporting an Anonymous mask happened in the House Gallery, during the Maricopa County hearing over suspected election fraud.
As can be seen in the video below, two officers approached the peaceful man who merely had the mask resting on top of his head. The first arresting officer can be seen kicking him to get him out of his chair. [end excerpt]
* "Apparently Wearing an Anonymous Mask in America Can Get You Arrested" (2016-04-08, theantimedia.org) [archive.is/N2Dhn] [begin excerpt]: Bystanders went to the man’s defense, with several phones filming the event. One bystander even said the arrest was made because the man was sporting an Anonymous mask.
In the video [https://youtu.be/DTGqfD1_OIs], another bystander accuses the police of choking the man as the officers unduly restrained him while he was quietly sitting between the chairs. Chants of “shame” and “the whole world is watching” were cried as the man was forced to his feet and escorted away.
After the removal of the man, one of the bystanders states: “you promised us if we were silent you wouldn’t remove us.” Officials then began to plead with the crowd. At the end of the video, one official agreed that the man with the mask did nothing wrong.
Janet Higgens, who uploaded one of the videos, stated: “We were at the point of chaos. All brought on by the police. For a man sitting quietly. With dreadlocks. His name is Jonathan S. McRae. He is currently in jail, charged with trespassing and resisting arrest. I disagree. He was harassed, held to the floor for over 5 minutes, and kidnapped. I don’t know if he was injured in the attack.”
“We the people of the United States are tired of this stuff,” another witness yelled as a bystander warned that this would all end up on YouTube. [end excerpt]
* "Guy Fakes: A sensationalized story falsely claimed that it is now illegal to wear "Anonymous" masks in public" (2016-04-13, snopes.com) [archive.is/FV92j]
[comment by Red Martin]: Actually wearing masks is being outlawed at protests in many cities. So the story might be an exaggeration but does have a bit of truth. I was recently at an anti-Nazi and Klan protest in Rome (Georgia) where we were forbidden any signs, banners, masks and even forbidden to shout back at the nazis. I was threatened several times by the police for not standing on a 3 foot wide 30 foot long strip of grass that was set aside for the counter protestors. I was wearing a surgical boot and could't stand on the soft grass so I kept putting one foot on the sidewalk and got jumped every time I did. The police spent the whole time intimidating the crowd of counter protesters.
* Facebook.com censorship:
On posting a meme [archive.is/kyUL8] and link to an article [archive.is/zZpht] about Jose Mujica, "The Poorest President" and famous anti-capitalist, the algorithm administering the creation of hyperlinks automatically prevented the link to the article, instead, selectively allowing only the homepage for the link to be utilized, as shown here [archive.is/8MUz9] [archive.is/lBzMP].
NORTHBAY COPWATCH: Five-Eyes, and other transnational partners
* "MI5 ‘mind reading unit’ foils potential terrorist attacks" (2016-08-08, rt.com) [archive.is/mIfAP]
from the Committee to
FREE 'EM ALL!
End the Drug War! Stop Jim Crow! Close the Torture Chambers! [solitarywatch.com] [facebook.com/incarceratedworkers] [supportprisonerresistance.noblogs.org] [denverabc.wordpress.com] [prisonlegalnews.org] [prisonbooks.info] [nycabc.wordpress.com] [powmedicaljustice.com] [sacprisonersupport.wordpress.com]. Become a Human Rights Pen Pal! [link].
* "At Virginia's Supermax Prisons, Isolation and Abuse Persist Despite Reforms" (2016-08-04, solitarywatch.com) [archive.is/P0QUQ]
* " 'Free All Political Prisoners' forum held on the eve of the DNC" (2016-08-03, liberationnews.org) [archive.is/Q3anG]
* "Jailed Russian pilot pledges to sue ‘US torture justice’ in international courts" (2016-08-10, rt.com) [archive.is/y6DZE]
articles recommended by the
SAN PABLO BAY ECOLOGICAL PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION
Campaigns, info, and more [SanPabloBayEPA.blogspot.com]. Science [discardstudies.com]. [blog.savesfbay.org]
* "Signs posted along Russian River warning of toxic algae" (2016-08-04, abc7news.com) [is.gd/xqa5QU]
SAN PABLO BAY EPA: Health and the Human Ecology
Monopolists enforce a regime that does not recognize the natural right to health and life. Info [detoxproject.org].
* "Florida To Spray Residents Like Bugs Over Zika — With A Chemical That Ironically Reduces Fetal Brain Size In Studies" (2016-08-03, by Melissa Dykes) [archive.is/rIUAx]
* "Genetically Modified Mosquitoes Approved By FDA To Fight Zika In Florida; The modified mosquitoes are altered so that their offspring die off" (2016-08-05, Reuters) [archive.is/DggmY]
* "Pandora’s Box: How GM Mosquitos Could Have Caused the Zika Virus Outbreak" (2016-02-02, counterpunch.org) [archive.is/Itzqr]
* "Genetically modified mosquitoes released in Brazil in 2015 linked to the current Zika epidemic?" (2016-01-25) [archive.is/xME38]
* "Oxitec mosquito works to control Aedes aegypti in dengue hotspot" (2015-07-02, oxitec.com) [archive.is/0aRRH]
* "Excessive levels of cancer-linked chemicals found in drinking water for 6mn Americans" (2016-08-10, rt.com) [archive.is/F5din]
* "Many Michigan cities have higher lead levels than Flint" (2016-01-27, by Mike Wilkinson, Bridge Magazine) [archive.is/8ASwf]
* "It’s not just Flint: Poor communities across the country live with ‘extreme’ polluters" (2016-01-27, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/4KFxh]
* "Nestlé Will Build Phoenix Bottling Plant to Resell City Water to Drought-Stricken Area" (2016-08-02, truth-out.org) [archive.is/LejFU]
* "Nestle Has Expanded Its Water Empire to Include Colorado" (2014-09-04, truth-out.org) [archive.is/9I23d] [begin excerpt]: Nestle is draining 65 million gallons of water annually from the Arkansas River out of a pipeline near Buena Vista. The water is used to fill roughly 40.4 million 16.9 ounce plastic Arrowhead Springs water bottles per month." [end excerpt].
articles recommended by the
NO NUKES! campaign
[StopNuclearDeath.blogspot.com] [nuclear-news.net] [nukeresister.org] [nukefree.org]
* "Exelon, Entergy Nuclear Reactors Win Subsidies From New York; Exelon says it’ll invest $200 million in plants after decision Blue Arrow; Entergy says talks to sell FitzPatrick to Exelon continue" (2016-08-01, bloomberg.com) [archive.is/G36GA]
Good Bye Diablo Party - Planning Meeting
Friday August 12, time to be decided
An ad hoc group is planing a celebration of the planned decommissioning of Diablo Canyon, California's last operating nuclear power plant. We may meet at The Hole in the Head as a probable location. Contact Larry for more information, [larrywtr@)sonic.net].
More info about Bodega Head nuclear power plants and the movement that stopped its construction [archive.is/hwZMx].
articles recommended by the
SAN PABLO BAY SOVEREIGNTY Think-tank
* "University of Toronto chemists create vitamin-driven battery; Environmentally-friendly battery is long-lasting and high voltage" (2016-08-02, utoronto.ca) [archive.is/xe3FE]
UNITED STATES FASCISM WATCH
Documenting the process of fascism and for whom it benefits. [UnitedStatesFascism.blogspot.com] [exposefacts.org]
* "Bailed Out Citigroup Is Going Full Throttle into Derivatives that Blew Up AIG" (2016-08-04, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/HhSTv]
* "A Primer on Private Equity" (2016-06-25, nytimes.com) [archive.is/IF6O2]
* "How Private Equity Found Power and Profit in State Capitols; Private equity firms have used sophisticated but indirect political maneuvering with state and local entities to smooth the way for growth and revenue" (2016-07-14, nytimes.com) [archive.is/SmMZD]
* "When You Dial 911 and Wall Street Answers; Since the 2008 financial crisis, private equity firms have increasingly taken over public services like emergency care and firefighting, often with dire effects" (2016-06-25, nytimes.com) [archive.is/9Ptra]
* " 'When You Dial 911 and Wall Street Answers': How Private Equity Profits off Our Daily Lives" (2016-08-03, democracynow.org) [archive.is/S6IVY]
* "What Can Go Wrong When Private Equity Takes Over a Public Service; TransCare, an ambulance company controlled by private equity, recently went out of business. We obtained internal emails and minutes of executive meetings that lay bare the company’s final year and its ultimate demise" (2016-06-25, nytimes.com) [archive.is/5bscj]
* "This Pundit's 10 Rules For Right-Wing Fight Club Has 11 Rules (Or Maybe 14); Ben Shapiro Needs An Editor" (2014-03-03, mediamatters.org) [archive.is/RYkQo]
* "11 rules for debating a Leftist from Ben Shapiro" (2014-03-20, theblaze.com) [archive.is/6ykYo]
USA FASCISM: "Libertarianism & Constitutionalism" to benefit private bureaucracies
[alibertarianfuture.com] [fff.org] [mises.org]
* " 'Bundy Militia' Pocket Constitution Tops Amazon Charts Amidst Trump-Khan Feud; NCCS Constitution Cloaked in Recruitment Materials for Sagebrush Rebel Movement Steeped in Racism, Anti-federal Domestic Terrorism" (2016-08-04, biologicaldiversity.org) [archive.is/edQnI] [begin excerpt]: The Idaho-based NCCS opposes the separation of church and state, holds that the U.S. Constitution is based on Christian scripture, and advances a radical anti-federal agenda. The pamphlets, offered at low cost, include religious quotes from historical figures, recruitment rhetoric and links to the NCCS website that compelled a Florida Supreme Court justice in 2013 to bar its use in the state’s civics education programs. The NCCS says 15 million pocket Constitutions have been distributed to individuals, schools and government since 2004.
W. Cleon Skousen, the founder of NCCS, was an ultra-right, anti-federal conspiracist notorious for, among other things, racist writings on slavery and African-Americans. He opposed anti-discrimination laws, unions, minimum wage and the creation of the EPA, sought to eliminate the Federal Reserve System, and advocated selling off federal public lands, including national parks.
Through the NCSS and its predecessor, The Freeman Institute, Skousen’s radical anti-federal ideas shaped the “Sagebrush rebel” movement, the thinking of Cliven Bundy — also notorious for racist statements about “the Negro” — and that of other proponents of county or state seizure of federal public lands. Most notably, proponents of public-land seizure assert that the federal government lacks the authority to own federal public lands — contrary to two centuries of case law. [end excerpt]
USA FASCISM: Military State
* "Pentagon’s Sloppy Bookkeeping Means $6.5 Trillion Can’t Pass an Audit" (2016-07-31, thefiscaltimes.com) [archive.is/AEH4G]
* "Boeing gets $1 billion in F/A-18 spares orders" (2016-08-02, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/2nXHG]
USA FASCISM: Two Party Dictatorship
* "With Clinton at Helm, Democratic Party Again a 'Plaything of the Super-Rich' ; Back-to-back fundraisers with Hollywood elite and fossil fuel industry hope to boost an already sizable war chest" (2016-08-03, commondreams.org) [archive.is/Zm2xZ]
* "Oligarchs Are Feeling Right at Home in the Democratic Party; As long as the legislative process is dominated by parties that care first and foremost about "catering to their wealthiest supporters," systemic change is impossible" (2016-08-04, commondreams.org) [archive.is/VS83d]
* "For Corporate Media, Bloomberg Is the Better Billionaire" (2016-08-02, fair.org) [archive.is/iouqu]
* "Ex-CIA head endorsement of ‘prepared, detailed-oriented’ Hillary Clinton sparks Twitter mockery" (2016-08-05, rt.com) [archive.is/GaeBz]
* "The Democratic Convention Film on Hillary Clinton Lied to America" (2016-08-01, truthdig.com) [archive.is/jukPw]
* "Turmoil inside, struggle outside Democratic Party convention" (2016-07-25, liberationnews.org) [archive.is/DVL6E]
* "Anger in the streets outside the DNC" (2016-07-27, liberationnews.org) [archive.is/QKrjk]
* "DNC interview: Every opportunity for authentic democratic debate shut down" (2016-07-30, liberationnews.org) [archive.is/uxO0p]
* "The people radicalized before our eyes: a week outside the DNC in Philadelphia" (2016-07-31, liberationnews.org) [archive.is/MSwkU]
* "Wikileaks offers $20k reward over dead DNC staffer, but won’t confirm he leaked emails" (2016-08-10, rt.com) [archive.is/GHZ8R] [begin excerpt]: The whistleblowing organization Wikileaks wants to catch those responsible for the murder of Democratic National Committee (DNC) staffer Seth Rich and are now offering a $20,000 reward for information.
The group’s co-founder Julian Assange suggested on Dutch television that if Rich is the source of the 20,000 emails exposing the party’s sabotage of the Bernie Sanders campaign in favor of Hillary Clinton, he may have been killed over it.
However, when asked if Rich was a Wikileaks source, Assange refused to comment, merely saying they were investigating the circumstances surrounding his murder. [end excerpt]
* (2016-08-03, facebook.com/thefreethoughtprojectcom):
It has NOTHING to do with the fact that she is a woman!!
Emails → (2016-06-11) [archive.is/e8zZn]
ISIS → (2016-08-02) [archive.is/gbeZ4]
Bankers → (2016-03-21) [archive.is/vlUxQ]
Saudis → (2016-06-13, zerohedge.com) [archive.is/gNoWn]
* "NEOCONSERVATIVES AND CLINTON MANUFACTURE FEAR OF RUSSIAN INFLUENCE IN ELECTION" (2016-08-07, shadowproof.com) [archive.is/5TDrg]
* "Democrats’ Tactic of Accusing Critics of Kremlin Allegiance Has Long, Ugly History in U.S." (2016-08-08, theintercept.com) [archive.is/NqMM9]
* "Cash Flowed to Clinton Foundation Amid Russian Uranium Deal" (2015-04-23, nytimes.com) [archive.is/3kZO4]
* "Hillary Ally Accuses Green Party’s Jill Stein of Being Trump-like Russian Agent; The Clinton campaign’s rush into the comforting arms of McCarthyism to dodge the scandal around the WikiLeaks DNC file dump has now gone completely off the rails" (2016-08-08, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/kL6sM]
* "Debunking the media’s smear campaign against Green presidential candidate Jill Stein" (2016-08-10, rt.com) [archive.is/WUhg6]
* "A neuroscientist explains what may be wrong with Trump supporters’ brains" (2016-08-04, rawstory.com) [archive.is/3jSD1]
* "Watch a Year's Worth of Trump Supporters Spouting Vitriol, Racism, Fascist Rhetoric; New York Times releases unfiltered footage from a year of Trump rallies" (2016-08-04, commondreams.org) [archive.is/znNFW], attached video [www.nytimes.com/video/us/politics/100000004533191/unfiltered-voices-from-donald-trumps-crowds.html]
* "Mike Pence believes in creationism, and he wants to teach that to your kids in public schools" (2016-08-06, deadstate.org) [http://web.archive.org/web/20160807160242/http://deadstate.org/mike-pence-believes-the-earth-is-6000-years-old-and-he-wants-to-teach-that-to-your-kids/]:
There’s something about Donald Trump’s running mate that seems to have escaped the media narrative: he’s a radical Christian whose belief in “intelligent design” suggests he likely subscribes to the notion of a biblical young earth (around 6,000 years-old according to some, while others will allow for 10,000 years. Other believers in intelligent design will avoid the question of the earth/universe’s age altogether), and he wants this form of religious charlatanry taught in public schools.
Mike Pence‘s belief in a young earth isn’t proven, but his rhetoric is designed to pander to those who do.
When he was confronted on the subject by MSNBC’s Chris Matthews back in 2009, Pence did everything he could to avoid acknowledging the scientific fact of evolution. It was a pathetic display of pandering to the anti-science religious voter.
But during his tenure as a U.S. Congressman, Pence wasn’t so evasive.
During an impassioned speech on the House floor in 2002 [archive.is/egHFT], Pence regurgitated the ignorant ‘evolution is only a theory’ theme, and declared that “intelligent design” should be taught to children as a scientific alternative with equal weight.
“I believe that God created the known universe, the earth and everything in it, including man,” Pence said. “And I also believe that someday scientists will come to see that only the theory of intelligent design provides even a remotely rational explanation for the known universe.”
“I would simply and humbly ask, can we teach it as such and can we also consider teaching other theories of the origin of species?” Pence continued. “Like the theory that was believed in by every signer of the Declaration of Independence. Every signer of the Declaration of Independence believed that men and women were created and were endowed by that same Creator with certain unalienable rights. The Bible tells us that God created man in his own image, male and female. He created them.”
Writing for Patheos [archive.is/KBc1o], Michael Stone points out that Pence’s false and misleading claim that creationism is a valid scientific alternative to the theory of evolution is a tactic widely used by evangelicals to undermine the way science is taught in the public school system.
Pence, like many advocates for creationism, is uninformed and uneducated as to what the term “theory” means in a scientific context. For the record, the scientific definition of “theory” is quite different from the everyday use of the word.
As the National Academy of Science notes [is.gd/BLoEuI], the “formal scientific definition of theory is quite different from the everyday meaning of the word. It refers to a comprehensive explanation of some aspect of nature that is supported by a vast body of evidence.
Say what you want about either of the candidates in the 2016 race for president. But it’s undeniable that a religious extremist with dreams of theocracy is near the top of one of the tickets.
* "Never elected, ex-CIA & Goldman Sachs: Meet Evan McMullin, the 'Never Trump' 3rd-party candidate" (2016-08-08, rt.com) [archive.is/f1qcx] [begin excerpt]: Evan McMullin, a 40-year-old conservative former intelligence operative, will run against Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, with the help of an NGO dedicated to getting him on the ballot in every state due to vote in November.
“In a year where Americans have lost faith in the candidates of both major parties, it’s time for a generation of new leadership to step up. It’s never too late to do the right thing, and America deserves much better than either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton can offer us. I humbly offer myself as a leader who can give millions of disaffected Americans a conservative choice for president,” said a statement from McMullin, disseminated through ABC News.
McMullin has been picked by Better for America (BFA), an organization established two months ago, and headed by John Kingston, a multi-millionaire Republican donor, who previously endorsed Mitt Romney. Better for America has been working to register a candidate with the help of a legal team, so far approaching states with the least stringent conditions, which do not even require a specific nominee.
Its efforts thus far have been rejected in New Mexico, due to a lack of sufficient signatures to recognize it as a party. A petition in Arkansas is still pending. [end excerpt]
USA FASCISM: State Media Watch
Documenting propaganda issued by the monopolist media and members of the state security regime that uphold the economic dictatorship, imperialist wars, and the "New Jim Crow" regime [mediamatters.org]
* "Former Fox boss Roger Ailes spent millions on ‘Black Room’ op to smear journalists" (2016-08-08, rt.com) [archive.is/wDPPn]
* "Amanpour: CNN’s Black-Eyed Houri Turned Loudmouth Bigot; Like a new Oracle of Delphi, no bloody US intervention comes without Amanpour’s dark arts of the half-truth" (2016-07-31, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/v6DKw]
* "How authoritarian socialism caused Venezuela's collapse" (2016-05-18, theweek.com) [archive.is/v9yOt]
[Comment by Gunnar Angeles]: Venezuela is a Social-Democratic nation where the majority of the means of production are still privately owned. It is far from, "Authoritarian" Socialism which implies the bourgeoisie have been overthrown and private property largely expropriated. The Western mainstream media, US imperialism, Venezuelan bourgeoisie etc... are so quick to point fingers in order to deflect from the role they play in destabilizing the Venezuelan economy. Ultimately, Socialism is the only solution and the only way to save the Bolivarian revolution that Chavez and Maduro ushered in, is to take it to the next level because the enemies of the Venezuelan proletarian will hate them no matter what regardless if they take full or half measures.
USA FASCISM: Artificial Poverty and Starvation
* "There’s a Hunger Problem in Every County in America—and It’s Solvable" (2016-08-03, talkpoverty.org) [archive.is/7IkDx]
* "A Realistic Look at July’s Nonfarm Payrolls" (2016-08-05, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/NnIEe] [begin excerpt]: The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) released its nonfarm payroll data this morning, showing that 255,000 jobs were created in July. The unemployment rate remained at 4.9 percent. May data was revised up from the eyebrow-raising low number of 11,000 jobs to 24,000 jobs while June was also revised upward from 287,000 jobs to 292,000. That brought the monthly average to 190,000 jobs over the past three months.
Unfortunately, drilling down into the more granular details, a far less rosy picture emerges; a picture which is far more consistent with an economy feeling the continued weight of unprecedented wealth and income inequality; a picture that is far more correlated to an economy where “58 percent of all new income since the Wall Street crash has gone to the top 1 percent,” to quote Senator Bernie Sanders.
The data for July shows that the U-6 unemployment number is 10.7 percent of the nation’s workforce, more than double the official number of 4.9 percent. The U-6 unemployment rate includes the number of people unemployed; plus individuals just marginally attached to the labor force; plus those employed part-time for economic reasons. (The Bureau of Labor Statistics provides the following definition of marginally attached: “Persons marginally attached to the labor force are those who currently are neither working nor looking for work but indicate that they want and are available for a job and have looked for work sometime in the past 12 months. Discouraged workers, a subset of the marginally attached, have given a job-market related reason for not currently looking for work.)
But a far bigger problem with the BLS data is what constitutes an “employed” worker to our Federal government’s numbers crunchers. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, you could be an out of work MBA graduate but if you help your brother in his deli for 15 hours in a week while living in his home, you’re counted as employed. (The BLS says that a worker who makes no money at all donating his or her services to a family business for 15 hours or more per week is considered employed.)
Let us translate that twisted logic a bit further: you may have no equity stake at all in this business; you may never expect to reap a dime for your labors; you may not even get paid for your gas traveling to and from the family business – but your government considers you employed. [end excerpt]
* "If Cash Is King, How Can Stores Refuse To Take Your Dollars?" (2016-08-05, by Jay Zagorsky) [archive.is/cpAUS] [begin excerpt]: We’ve been talking about society’s transition to a cashless society for a long time, but it begs an important question: Can stores and other retail establishments refuse to take your dollars and cents?
As odd as it sounds, this is not hypothetical anymore as a small number of stores and industries have stopped accepting cash and allow payment only by credit card, debit card or via a smartphone app.
Sweetgreen, a high-end salad restaurant, stopped accepting cash in its New York City stores in January. A Boston restaurant near Fenway Park went cashless this past December. Most airlines stopped taking cash for in-flight purchases of food and beverages around 2010. [...]
Yet eliminating cash is a huge problem for the roughly 10 million U.S. households that have no banking accounts. These “unbanked” families have no direct access to financial services like credit and debit cards. For them, it is a hardship not to use cash. [end excerpt]
* "Big Pharma Plans Massive Ad Blitz to Fight Criticism of Drug Prices; 'The idea that they are going to bring in more resources, borders on petrifying' " (2016-08-04, commondreams.org) [archive.is/9KtgA]
The following article was published by newspapers and online newsjournals read by upper-class individuals in the USA, and is an attempt to show how monopolist capitlaism is a superior economic system while impoverishing the majority. The fact remains there will never be enough jobs under capitalism, and in the USA hundreds of thousands of students are homeless and cannot afford to find a "high-paying job" because of a lack of social programs.
* "Free Universities And No Student Loan Debt Is Hurting Denmark's Economy; Students don't have pressure to go after stable, well-paying jobs" (2014-06-18, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/OXuRd]
Student jobs are being roboticized!
* "Robo-chef: Pizza ATM fires up snacks at university in Cincinnati" (2016-08-05, rt.com) [archive.is/oSchL]
WORLD FASCISM WATCH
Documenting the global economic dictatorship
* "Why Say No to the TPP? Corporations Already Have Too Much Power; Our hope lies in shifting power to communities and regions that prioritize safety, clean air, children’s health, and locally rooted livelihoods" (2016-08-03, yesmagazine.org) [is.gd/ZI4U3R]
* "World Bank's New Rules; Condemned for Disregarding People and Planet New policies threaten human rights and the environment, groups say" (2016-08-04, commondreams.org) [archive.is/6jK99]
* "The World Bank's Bizarre Retreat on Indigenous Rights; There are many within World Bank staff and management who see Indigenous peoples as obstacles to development" (2016-08-08, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/WSFa6]
As the monopolist holding companies dictating the policies of the world market regime are themselves "collapsing", many observers are expecting a sudden world war to sustain their financial security and solvency.
* "RBS reports huge loss sending bank's shares tumbling" (2016-08-05, rt.com) [archive.is/3tTkb]
When a billion dollar IT company acts like an angry squatter against a civil government... whose law is upheld by their business culture?
* "Pay your taxes or smell the stink: Officials send garbage trucks to Intel offices in India" (2016-08-10, rt.com) [archive.is/Q8CfN]
WORLD FASCISM WATCH: #OPDeathEaters
A study of the personal ideologies and social practices of those who benefit from the global capitalist regime. [WorldFascists.blogspot.com]
* "Billionaire Peter Thiel thinks young people’s blood can keep him young forever" (2016-08-01, rawstory.com) [archive.is/7MPFO]
* "Drug bust sees Scottish aristocrat charged with trafficking 100kg of cocaine" (2016-08-05, rt.com) [archive.is/IjV1X] [begin excerpt]: The British national, who belongs to a noble Scottish clan and is the grandson of the sixth Earl of Cawdor, grew up in Nairobi, but was educated at the expensive private school Marlborough College.
He graduated from the University of Bristol with a degree in economics.
Police seized the cocaine, which was destined for Uganda, last Friday after reportedly receiving a tip-off from Interpol.
The drugs were on a ship listed as carrying sugar owned by Marrian’s trading company, MShale Commodities, and arrived in Mombasa from Brazil.
Marrian was detained alongside a Kenyan suspect, Roy Francis Mwanthi, who also denies the charges.
Marrian’s father, David, told the Times his son is innocent.
“The sugar in the containers was being sent to Jack’s company but he has no involvement in either the packing of the ships or the unloading. The containers are not his. The ship is not his. The fact it is contaminated with cocaine has nothing to do with him,” he said.
“The containers are packed in the port and checked by an independent company approved by Kenyan customs. There is a seal put on the container but it is not a foolproof system.” [end excerpt]
Photo caption: British national Jack Alexander Wolf Marrian.
* "Institutional child sex abuse inquiry loses third head… and it hasn’t even started yet" (2016-08-05, rt.com) [archive.is/iZkGX] [begin excerpt]: Britain’s gigantic inquiry into institutional child abuse is facing another setback after the top judge in charge resigned her post, becoming the third to do so.
New Zealand high court judge Dame Lowell Goddard called it quits Thursday evening, claiming the inquiry had an unshakeable “legacy of failure” and that the job was a “struggle.”
However, Goddard herself has recently come under fire after it emerged that in her first year on the job she spent 30 days on leave and 44 working days in New Zealand and Australia.
The inquiry, which is unprecedented in size, is due to report in 2020, but some pundits estimate it could take longer as it has not yet publicly questioned a single victim or witness.
Fresh questions will now be asked about the feasibility of the investigation, which stretches back 60 years, includes a dozen separate investigations and could cost £100 million (US$130 million).
Goddard is the third chair to step down, after lawyer Fiona Woolf and Baroness Butler-Sloss both quit in 2014.
The appointment of Goddard by then-Home Secretary Theresa May was considered unorthodox at the time, given that her expertise lies in a foreign legal system. [end excerpt]
information collected by the
SOLANO PEACE, JUSTICE, AND FREEDOM COALITION
[SolanoPeaceJustice.blogspot.com], for justice, dignity and human rights in accordance with the 1966 International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (.pdf) [is.gd/TftqGs], and an end to the USA's endless wars, in harmony with Principle 1 & 6 of International Law [archive.is/tmncz], the 5 protocols of the Convention on Conventional Weapons (CCW) [archive.is/LhUTj], and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights [archive.is/U1Ota].
* "Vanessa Beeley Talks to Syrian TV During US Peace Council Delegation Visit" (2016-08-10, 21stcenturywire.com) [archive.is/8SlGy], attached video [https://youtu.be/1D85fpEgBaE]
* (2016-08-09, Vanessa Beeley) [archive.is/pTqo6]: Proudest moment. Meeting President Bashar al Assad with the US Peace Council Delegation.
* "Baby Teeth of Iraqi Children Tell Troubling Tale of War's Toxic Impacts; New study finds exposure to heavy metals and other toxins having severe impact on generation who have grown up amid endless bombings and violence" (2016-08-05, commondreams.org) [archive.is/tk3p6]
* "I Thought NATO “Liberated” Libya In 2011?" (2016-08-04, by Steven MacMillan) [archive.is/TKh5D]
* "What Khizr Khan Said That Wasn't About Trump and You Probably Won't Hear; Fresh interview comes as US expands its bombing campaign against ISIS to Libya" (2016-08-03, commondreams.org) [archive.is/ODHmH]
* "US drone warfare relies on ‘near certainty’ of target IDs & collateral damage" (2016-08-07, rt.com) [archive.is/7kra1]
LOL! It's John Kirby!
* "GENERALS AND POLITICAL INTERVENTIONS IN AMERICAN HISTORY" (2016-08-04, warontherocks.com) [archive.is/xF9Al]
* "America relies on war for jobs?" (2016-08-04, translated by Inessa Sinchougova, for fort-russ.com) [archive.is/A3OZy], attached video [https://youtu.be/VdypP11X2P8], [begin excerpt]: According to the US Ambassador, America needs war to create jobs. Putin, amused, asks - "Why can't you create jobs in a sphere that does't threaten the existence of the human race?" [...]
The military-industrial complex works somewhat differently in Russia because it is not privately managed, but (without over simplifying too much) it is state - initiated. The government does not hand out billions of [taxpayer] dollars worth of contracts to a handful of unethical parasites, and their lobbyists. This essentially removes the financial incentive from creating an ever-expanding military industrial complex in Russia. [end excerpt]
And, in the UKGB...
* "Was report on bad guy Russia’s military superiority deliberately leaked to score MoD funding?" (2016-08-10, rt.com) [archive.is/7QXTZ]
* "No joke: US think-tank suggests cyber-attacks on Moscow Metro, St. Pete power grid, RT offices" (2016-08-05, by Robert Bridge, via rt.com) [archive.is/VE9Zy]
* "NATO-Linked Think Tank Calls for Poland to Attack Moscow Metro, RT and Sputnik; A recent publication by the influential Atlantic Council calls for Poland to engage in overt acts of electronic warfare against civilian populations in Russia and against state-funded media outlets like RT and Sputnik in stark contravention to international law" (2016-08-07, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/cBv86]
* " ‘Extremist & absurd’: Lawmakers blast ex-CIA official’s call to ‘covertly’ kill Russians" (2016-08-10, rt.com) [archive.is/c2vum]
* "NATO’s War on Russia: Someone Is Playing Us" (2016-07-27, journal-neo.org) [archive.is/l5TNN] [begin excerpt]: For 17 months, since the Minsk Agreements were signed in February 2015 to try to bring peace to the eastern Ukraine the Kiev regime, and its neo-Nazi and NATO allies, have been preparing for a new offensive against the east Ukraine republics. On July 22nd the Russian Ambassador Vitaly Churkin stated in a letter to the UN Security Council that “a relapse of large-scale military operations in eastern Ukraine may bury the process of peace settlement there.” He then called on Kiev’s allies to pressure Kiev to back off its war preparations which include the continuous shelling of civilian areas by Ukraine heavy and medium artillery and constant probing attacks by Ukraine and foreign units over the past spring and summer months.
The commander of the Donetsk Republic forces stated in a communiqué on July 22 that the region along the contact line between the two sides was shelled 3,566 times in one week alone ending on the date of the communiqué and confirmed the information set out in Churkin’s letter and reports of the Organisation For Security Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) that the Kiev regime had transferred more heavy artillery, mortars, tanks, multiple rocket launchers to the front.
The shelling has destroyed civilian housing, a water treatment plant and other infrastructure with the clear objective of forcing out the residents and to prepare the ground for a large scale offensive. Ambassador Churkin added that not only were regular Kiev forces massing in the east but they had also deployed the new-Nazi Azov and Donbas “volunteer” battalions, and that Kiev has begun a wide ranging seizure of land in the neutral zone and the towns located there.
Of course the blame for all these criminal actions by NATO and its marionettes in Kiev is placed on Russia as we have seen set out in both the Atlantic Council Report earlier this year and in the NATO Warsaw Communiqué on July 9th in which NATO put the ultimatum to Russia, “do what we say or you will see what we will do”. The day before Ambassador Churkin sent his letter to the Security Council, the French Foreign Minister, Jean-Marc Ayrault, in a speech at the Centre of Strategic and International Studies stated that the “sanctions”, that is, the economic war being carried out against Russia by the NATO countries, would only stop if Russia did what it was told.
The Germans have also made noises about being prepared to halt this economic warfare against Russia, about how much they regret it and how they desire only peace and harmony, but, again, only if Russia adheres to their demands.
The attacks on the Donbas republic civilian areas are of course war crimes and crimes against humanity to which the prosecutor of the International Criminal Court responds with her practiced silence despite the fact she has accepted two letters from the Kiev regime providing the ICC with jurisdiction to prosecute war crimes committed there. But, of course, neither Kiev, nor their NATO bosses that control the prosecutor of the ICC have any intention of laying war crimes charges against themselves.
The Russian fear of a renewed offensive against the Donbas republics is a real one since the Warsaw Communiqué issued by NATO on July 9th stated emphatically that NATO does not recognise the republics, that Ukraine needs to be reunited by force if necessary, and that Crimea must be returned to Ukraine. [end excerpt]
* Open letter to Minister of Foreign Affairs of Canada on Ukraine and Russia (2016-07-30, From: John Ryan, Ph.D. Retired Professor of Geography and Senior Scholar, University of Winnipeg) [archive.is/3jZBj], attached with five comments [archive.is/OSTuR], main body of text:
When your government came into office last fall you inherited the Harper Conservative foreign policy towards Ukraine and Russia which was in lock-step with that of the USA. My purpose in writing to you was to alert your new government to the fact that there was considerable evidence that for a variety of reasons, Harper’s and the USA’s foreign policy positions were at variance with the reality of the situation.
Through reports largely on the internet and some in prestigious journals by academics, former government officials and independent journalists, I became aware of significantly different views from those presented by the mainstream media on the Ukraine-Russia issue. To provide you and the Prime Minister with additional valuable information, from these reports I had selected five articles by informed observers and sent them to you last fall along with my letter.
In my letter I had also pointed out that the mainstream media never revealed the fact that there were people in the U.S. government who for many years had wanted to get Ukraine and Georgia into NATO, despite being warned against this by their own professional diplomats. As stated in the articles I had enclosed, it was the U.S. attempt to get Ukraine into NATO (with the expenditure of more than five billion dollars) that eventually created the coup d’état in February 2014 that installed the new government in Kiev which included fascists and neo-Nazis. The mainstream media has been in total denial regarding this incontrovertible fact. Unfortunately, so have the governments of the USA and Canada.
And what is it that you now relate to me in your letter? You make no mention of the articles I had forwarded to you – if you read them you have ignored the solidly documented information that provided the basis for a different foreign policy. Instead, to my dismay I see that you and your government have adopted Harper’s policies in their entirety and Canada’s policy towards Ukraine and Russia still remains in lock-step with the USA.
Where are the days when Canada had independent policies and opposed the USA on a wide range of fronts? For example, Vietnam, Cuba, Chile, Iraq … When Stephen Harper was in the opposition he berated Canada for not supporting the illegal war on Iraq, and said that we should be fighting “shoulder to shoulder with George Bush in this war”. Then he got into power and immediately volunteered to put Canada’s troops into the wretched Afghanistan quagmire where we were not to “turn tail and run” … until we eventually had to. Also, there was Harper in full support of the USA’s vendetta against Iran and Syria … and in support of the USA’s orchestrated coup d’état in Ukraine in 2014.
And now we have the Trudeau Liberal government following Harper’s exact policies in Ukraine. In your letter you state “… Canada was extremely disturbed by the erosion of democracy, the rule of law and human rights in Ukraine under the Yanukovych government. Canada strongly condemned the actions taken by that government.” This was a foreign policy position enacted by the Conservative Harper government which the Liberal government now obviously endorses. Although Yanukovych may have been corrupt, he was no more corrupt than all of Ukraine’s previous leaders since its independence in 1991. The important point is that Yanukovych had been legally elected in 2010, but on February 22 of 2014 he was deposed in a coup d’état, engineered by the USA. This was confirmed by a variety of sources, including George Friedman, the Founder and CEO of Stratfor, the ‘Shadow CIA’ firm, who made the comment: “It really was the most blatant coup in history.” What irony! Here you decry the Yanukovych government that had been legally elected, but there is not a word from you about the coup d’état that replaced him! And the new illegal regime included fascists and neo-Nazis! Not a word about this. I can understand this coming from Harper, but from you … as the Minister of External Affairs for the “enlightened sunny ways” Trudeau government … this is most disturbing.
As for Crimea, some historical perspective is required. The very first action that was taken by the coup government under Yatsenyuk was a bill that made Ukrainian the only legal language in Ukraine, eliminating Russian as a legal regional language. Just imagine if a federal government in Canada suddenly passed a bill making English the only official language in Canada. In such a case, how long would it take to have Quebec hold a referendum to secede from Canada and to have an overwhelming vote to do so? That is exactly what happened in Crimea. That is why the referendum was held on short notice and why there was an 83% turnout and a 97% vote to secede from Ukraine and apply for membership in the Russian Federation. It was on this basis that Russia accepted Crimea back into the Russian Federation.
It is a false and propagandistic assertion that Russia “annexed” Crimea. Annexation implies a forceful military assault and takeover of an area, whereas the people of Crimea, in a peaceful overwhelming manner, showed that they wanted to leave Ukraine and voluntarily join Russia. Russia obliged by having them rejoin the country they had lived in for more than a couple of centuries.
Further on this historical matter, Crimea had been part of Russia since 1783 but was “gifted” to Ukraine illegally by Khrushchev in 1954. Also, shortly before the dissolution of the USSR, Crimea voted in a referendum on January 20, 1991 to rejoin the Russian Federation, by a vote of 94% (with an 80% turnout), but Ukraine refused to accept the vote, and Russia under Yeltsin was too distracted and too weak to object. So Crimea has had two almost identical referenda, with the final one being recognized. After Crimea’s 1991 referendum, Ukraine changed its constitution in manner that was designed to prevent Crimea from ever holding another referendum. According to Ukraine’s 1996 constitution (Clause 73) the issue of altering the territory of Ukraine must be resolved exclusively by an all-Ukrainian referendum. However, it can be argued that such a provision in a country’s constitution that restricts the right of a national group to hold a referendum of its own on the issue of self-determination is a violation of the UN Charter. General Assembly resolution 1514 (XV) of 14 December 1960 gives a distinct group of people, such as those in Quebec, Scotland or in Crimea, “the right to self-determination; by virtue of that right they freely determine their political status and freely pursue their economic, social and cultural development.”
In accordance with this UN provision, Quebec was able to hold two referenda on its own, without being subjected to try to do this by means of an all-Canada referendum or seeking Canada’s permission to hold a referendum. In this same manner, Scotland was able to have a referendum on the issue of its independence. The inclusion of Clause 73 in Ukraine’s revised constitution effectively blocks Crimea from having a referendum, and this is surely a violation of the UN Charter. For this legitimate reason and because Crimea refused to recognize the legality of Ukraine’s coup government, which by virtue of the coup had violated the country’s constitution, Crimea chose to ignore Ukraine’s arbitrary requirement and proceeded to hold a referendum on its future on March 16, 2014.
When the Crimean parliament announced its intention to hold a self-determination referendum, Ukraine’s Constitutional Court immediately ruled that such a referendum would contravene Ukraine’s constitution which allowed for only an all-Ukraine referendum, and hence on this basis Crimea’s referendum would be illegal. It is this matter that became a cause célèbre, with never a mention that Crimea had a right to its referendum by virtue of a provision in the UN Charter.
To put this matter in further perspective, in February 2008 the Albanian province of Kosovo declared its independence from Serbia – without even the pretense of a referendum! In response, this was greeted with warm approval by the United States. Afterwards, in 2010, the UN International Court’s Advisory Opinion concerning Kosovo indicated that “international law contains no prohibition on declarations of independence,” which was a clear-cut endorsement of Kosovo’s declaration, which had been done without a referendum. Despite this precedent setting situation, when Crimea held its well-monitored referendum, its declaration of independence was strongly condemned by the United States.
In view of this, to pretend that the USA’s negative response to Crimea’s referendum is not politically motivated is to be naive in the extreme. Given this, it is highly problematic for Canada to support the USA’s political agenda on Ukraine and Russia.
You cite the G-7 March 27, 2014 declaration condemning Russia’s action to readmit Crimea into their federation. But such a declaration was in effect a political decision to vilify Russia and it ignored the reality of what had actually happened. As I’ve already mentioned, contrary to the wording of the declaration, there had been no “Russian invasion” and there was no “coercion or force” and Crimea was not “annexed” into the Russian Federation. The facts speak for themselves, but reality was ignored because the U.S. in particular was determined to vilify Russia and impose sanctions on the country. However, no matter how the issue is twisted, there is no question that Crimea’s referendum was conducted legally and none of the international observers detected any irregularities. Furthermore, every public opinion poll conducted in Crimea since then shows that more than 90 per cent of the people approve of their decision to rejoin the Russian Federation. If democracy has any meaning whatsoever, how can anyone insist that “Crimea has to be returned to Ukraine”?
You are absolutely correct in saying that “… the Minsk peace process represents the only path to durable peace.” However, you make no mention of the fact that it is Ukraine that has failed to live up to all of the 13 clauses of Minsk-2. Ukraine continues its military attacks against Donetsk and Lugansk. It does not recognize the elected authorities of these two regions (as it had been required to do), and hence no progress has been made on a political settlement, including the required regional elections. Instead of dialogue and a joint agreement with the Donetsk and Lugansk regions, on March 17, 2015, Ukraine’s Rada unilaterally passed a corresponding resolution, contrary to the Minsk agreement, which Donetsk and Lugansk rightfully rejected. Also, Article 11 of Minsk-2 required Ukraine to adopt a new constitution “with entry into force by the end of 2015 of a new constitution, which shall incorporate decentralization as a key element…” Till this day, Ukraine has not complied with this or with any of the other key provisions.
It should be noted that although Russia, Germany and France supervised and helped to create the Minsk-2 Accord, the accord is between the Kiev government and the Donetsk and Lugansk regions and it is they that are responsible for carrying out its provisions. However, in a bizarre fashion the EU and the USA are constantly blaming Russia for somehow not “implementing the Minsk agreement” … ignoring the fact that Russia is not a participant or a party in this agreement, in exactly the way that Germany and France aren’t subject to it. In an action divorced from reality, on July 1, 2016, the EU extended economic sanctions against Russia because the Minsk Accord has still not been fully implemented – as if this had been Russia’s responsibility! Obviously, sheer ignorance and prejudice towards Russia, rather than factual analysis, rules the day.
In its foreign policy towards Ukraine and Russia, Canada must separate fact from fiction. Although you have noted the need for “dialogue” with Russia, so far nothing with respect to policy has changed. [end letter]
[comment, 2016-08-02, Patrick Armstrong]:
At least you received an answer. I’m still awaiting one on this, which I have sent twice:
I see Canada has extended sanctions on Russia. One of the reasons given is “to maintain pressure on Russia to fully implement its Minsk commitments”.
I have read the text of the Minsk II Agreement here, and see that the word “Russia” does not even appear in the text, let alone any Russian obligations.
Could you, or a member of your staff, please explain to me what “commitments” Russia has undertaken and is not fulfilling?
* "The Propaganda War With Putin" (2016-08-05, commondreams.org) [archive.is/7Sm3w]
* "CIA: US Must Be Able to Enter Foreign Airspace Without Prior Notification; The US must be able to proceed with foreign operations as necessary, including invasion of foreign countries airspace without notifying local governments, said CIA Director John Brennan" (2016-07-13, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/RqY0A]
Although presented as expression of political unity among governments, the Olympics is a propaganda project for the world market regime, operated according to the private laws of capitalism. For example:
* "Social media shocked to find out unlicensed GIFs are ‘expressly prohibited’ during Rio Olympics" (2016-08-05, rt.com) [archive.is/oDQCp]
* "Olympic swimming under scrutiny over ‘falsified entry times’ " (2016-08-10, rt.com) [archive.is/PiU7T]
* "Russian Olympic doping scandal: McLaren Report ‘sexed up’, implicated clean athletes; Reports circulate of growing criticism of WADA and of McLaren Report by IOC officials" (2016-08-04, theduran.com) [archive.is/8tPce]
* "Here’s how Russian athletes were unfairly banned from the Olympics" (2016-08-02, theduran.com) [archive.is/T6cyk]
* "Russian Paralympic team’s ban from Rio Games" (2016-08-07, rt.com) [archive.is/hf96G]
* " ‘In what world does this make sense?’: Russian Paralympic ban met with confusion online" (2016-08-07, rt.com) [archive.is/TzXZi]
* "North Korea wins a second silver medal at Olympics; North takes medal in women’s weightlifting, loses in men’s weightlifting, women’s diving" (2016-08-10, nknews.org) [archive.is/ZbjX6]
Sports is peace and unity: North and South Korea in RIO 2016
* (2016-08-11, Ricky Amol): Some people either because of ignorance or with some mischievous intentions are spreading lies and rumours about North Korean Athlete Hong Un-jong facing punishment for posing for a selfie with a South Korean Athlete. The closing ceremony of 2014 Asian games at Incheon South Korea closing was attended by a high level delegation from North Korea by Hwang Pyong-so, director of the military's General Political Bureau of the North Korean military attended the ceremony and held talks with the South Korean regime (2014-10-04, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/GXw8T]. If they hates South Korean people then they wouldn't have sent their athletes to Incheon. Both countries wants to ease the tensions between them otherwise DPR Korea wouldn't have sent a high level delegation to the South.
* "Social Media Outraged After Gabby Douglas Doesn’t Put Hand Over Heart During National Anthem" (2016-08-09, newyork.cbslocal.com) [archive.is/JGutz]
* "Ease up, America. Gabby Douglas wasn’t dissing you during the Olympics medal ceremony" (2016-08-10, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/WQ38W]
* "UK arms traders eye global weapons-sales boost thanks to tumbling post-Brexit pound" (2016-08-05, rt.com) [archive.is/kLVDZ]
* "Rearming Riyadh: US approves $1.15bn tank sale to Saudi Arabia" (2016-08-09, rt.com) [archive.is/fDu0c]
* "House panel finds US military compelled intel analysts to downplay ISIS threat – report" (2016-08-10, rt.com) [archive.is/wVxj0]
Weapons for a New World Order
* "Tiny implant could connect humans and machines like never before Invention of 'neural dust' could mean people will be able to communicate with computers using the power of their mind" (2016-08-03, independent.co.uk) [archive.is/xWzsZ]
* "How Smart Dust Could Spy On Your Brain; Intelligent dust particles embedded in the brain could form an entirely new form of brain-machine interface, say engineers" (2013--07-16, technologyreview.com) [archive.is/enJ6A]
* "Neural “Smart” Dust Connects Brain And Computer (Wireless Mind Control)" (2016-08-04, by Nicholas West) [archive.is/AFEON]
* "THE NEUROLOGIST WHO HACKED HIS BRAIN—AND ALMOST LOST HIS MIND" (2016-01-26, wired.com) [archive.is/HS3EW]
* "Revolutionary liquid metals bring shape-shifting Terminator tech closer to reality" (2016-08-05, rt.com) [archive.is/5zdlz], attached video [https://youtu.be/UOmrqGqNwc4]
* "BGU Researcher Creates First Wave-Propelled Robot" (2016-08-02, aabgu.org) [archive.is/IsF9Y], attached video [youtube.com/watch?v=w25zF1bWx5o]
* "New Robot Overcomes Obstacles" (2016-08-03, Bielefeld University of Applied Sciences) [archive.is/4Mtiz], attached video [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7IK3mO4Wio] [begin excerpt]: It looks like a bicycle chain, but has just twelve segments about the size of a fist. In each segment there is a motor. This describes pretty much the robot developed by the four bachelor students in Computer Engineering, Johann Schroeder, Adrian Gucze, Simon Beyer and Matthaeus Wiltzok, at Bielefeld University of Applied Sciences. The project was supervised by Professor Dr. Axel Schneider of the Bielefeld University of Applied Sciences and Jan Paskarbeit from Bielefeld University. A new video introduces the robot.
What distinguishes "Ourobot" from other comparable robots are the pressure sensors found in its chain segments which enable it to detect and overcome obstacles. [end excerpt]
* "A new generation of electron devices makes waves, trillions of them each second; Two of the highest-frequency radio components ever made bode well for ushering radio technology into the super-high-speed/high-capacity terahertz bandwidth" (2016-07-04, doncio.navy.mil) [archive.is/v5dPh]
* "Virtek's graphene-winged Prospero drone to take flight" (2016-07-15, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/D4Ipq]
All speculation aside...
The pre-grant publication (PGPubs) classification services of the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO) has been awarded to Serco's Federal Civilian Services Group, potentially granting individuals affiliated with their company an ability to "cherry pick" applications for service as a patent pool of technology, perhaps for use in active operations at the AF Space Command, and surveillance services across the USA Homeland administered by private individuals. A portfolio of technology may also serve as an organizing tool for patent authors to be deputized, as experts.
For example, available patents would include useful applications as an Airliner irreversible-control anti-hijack system (Patent: US 6845302 B2) [archive.is/1L5bv].
* "Update on Serco's Strategy Review including the Contract & Balance Sheet Reviews; capital structure and funding; latest trading and outlook" (2014-11-10, londonstockexchange.com) [archive.is/eZFOh] [begin excerpt]: Strategy Review: Serco's future to be as an international B2G business. A successful, innovative and market-leading provider of services to Governments. Core sectors: Justice & Immigration, Defence, Transport, Citizen Services and Healthcare. [...]
In the Americas Division, our work for the US Affordable [Obama] Care Act (ACA) has begun an expanded first option year. Other awards in the period included: career transition services for US soldiers; health outreach services for the US Naval Reserve; deployable medical systems solutions also for the Navy; and two contracts for fleet maintenance services for commercial clients. In total, the ACA and all other awards in the period are valued at over $550m. Meanwhile, our contract supporting the Department of State's National Visa Center and Kentucky Consular Center (NVC/KCC) came to an end during the period, as did some Acquisition and Program Management support work for US intelligence agency customers. C4I2TSR services for the US Air Force and Naval installation task order work under the Sea Enterprise frameworks are also reducing. [...]
About Serco -
Serco is an international service company, which combines commercial know-how with a deep public service ethos.
Around the world, we improve essential services by managing people, processes, technology and assets more effectively. We advise policy makers, design innovative solutions, integrate systems and - most of all - deliver to the public.
Serco supports governments, agencies and companies who seek a trusted partner with a solid track record of providing assured service excellence. Our people offer operational, management and consulting expertise in the aviation, BPO, defence, education, environmental services, facilities management, health, home affairs, information and communications technology, knowledge services, local government, science and nuclear, transport, welfare to work and the commercial sectors.
More information can be found at www.serco.com
* "Serco Services Inc. 10-K 2006" (2006, wikinvest.com) [archive.is/XEr58] [begin excerpt]:
NVC Contract Award.
On January 31, 2006, in a recompetition for our expiring National Visa Center, or NVC, contract, we were awarded the successor contract for the NVC contract by the Department of State. Under the contract, we anticipate performing over 20 million immigrant visa transactions each year at the NVC in Portsmouth, New Hampshire and at the Kentucky Consular Center in Williamsburg, Kentucky. The prime contract has a one-year base period and four one-year options with an announced value of approximately $84 million, inclusive of the options. [...]
Our broad set of contract vehicles gives us extensive reach and enables us to deliver a full range of our services and solutions to the Federal Government. The strength of our service offerings and information technology expertise allows us to maintain substantial relationships with clients, some of whom have been clients of ours, or of one of our acquired businesses, for over 20 years. In fiscal 2005 and fiscal 2004, we derived approximately 75% and 81%, respectively, of our revenue from contracts on which we acted as prime contractor. Acting as a prime contractor provides us with stronger client relationships, as well as the visibility and access to new work that are not available when acting as a subcontractor. Our total backlog as of December 31, 2005 was approximately $854 million, of which approximately $191 million was funded. See "—Backlog" for a discussion of how we calculate backlog. [...]
Risks Related to Our Industry -
We depend on contracts with the Federal Government for most of our revenue, and our business would be seriously harmed if the government ceased doing business with us or significantly decreased the amount of business it does with us.
We derived 98.1% and 96.6% of our total revenue in fiscal 2005 and in fiscal 2004, respectively, from Federal Government contracts, either as a prime contractor or a subcontractor. This includes 46.9% and 52.8% of our total revenue in fiscal 2005 and in fiscal 2004, respectively, that we derived, either as a prime contractor or a subcontractor, from contracts with agencies of the DoD and Intelligence community. We expect that we will continue to derive most of our revenue for the foreseeable future from work performed under Federal Government contracts. If we were suspended or otherwise prohibited from contracting with the Federal Government generally, or with any significant agency of the DoD or the Intelligence community, or if our reputation or relationship with the Federal Government or any significant agency of the DoD or the Intelligence community were impaired, or if any of the foregoing otherwise ceased doing business with us or significantly decreased the amount of business it does with us, our business, prospects, financial condition and operating results would be materially adversely affected.
The following chart provides certain information regarding our four largest contracts for fiscal year 2005, in terms of revenues:
Serco's contract for the DoD (Department of Defense):
* Command, Control, Communications, Computer, Intelligence, Information, Technology, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (C4I2TSR) contract with the U.S. Air Force Space Command.
Serco's contract for the DoS (Department of State):
* "National Visa Center The Gateway to Visa Processing" (2012-05, by Robin E. Blunt, deputy director, NVC, published in State Magazine, state.gov) (.pdf) [is.gd/qihXeW] [begin excerpt]:
Tucked away in a picturesque corner of New England amid towering pines, historic buildings and seagoing vessels, the National Visa Center (NVC) is one of the first steps for most immigrant visa applications. Little known outside the Bureau of Consular Affairs, the NVC is located in a bustling commercial development on the edge of Portsmouth, N.H., on the grounds of what once was the Strategic Air Command’s Pease Air Force Base. NVC’s sister facility, “the CA building,” is across the parking lot and dedicated to former Assistant Secretary for Consular Affairs Mary Ryan. [...]
Opened in 1994 as the successor to the Transitional Immigrant Visa Processing Center in Rosslyn, Va., the NVC centralizes all immigrant visa preprocessing and appointment scheduling for overseas posts. The NVC collects paperwork and fees before forwarding a case, ready for adjudication, to the responsible post.
The center also handles immigrant and fiancé visa petitions, and while it does not adjudicate visa applications, it provides technical assistance and support to visa-adjudicating consular officials overseas.
Only two Foreign Service officers, the director and deputy director, work at the center, along with just five Civil Service employees. They work with almost 500 contract employees doing preprocessing of visas, making the center one of the largest employers in the Portsmouth area.
The contractor, Serco, Inc., has worked with the NVC since its inception and with the Department for almost 18 years.
The NVC houses more than 2.6 million immigrant visa files, receives almost two million pieces of mail per year and received more than half a million petitions from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) in 2011. Its file rooms' high-density shelves are stacked floor-to-ceiling with files, each a collection of someone's hopes and dreams and each requiring proper handling. [...]
The NVC also preprocesses the chief of mission (COM) application required for the fi ling of a petition for a Special Immigrant Visa (SIV). Such visas, for foreign nationals who have performed services for the U.S. government in Iraq and Afghanistan, require COM concurrence before the applicant can file a petition with USCIS. The NVC collects the requisite documents from such applicants and, when complete, forwards the package to the U.S. embassies in Baghdad or Kabul for COM approval. [end excerpt]
USA Homeland's resident nations:
Nations exist alongside the Federal [archive.is/VXoPR], and State governance [archive.is/Cz2uF]. Demographic maps: 2000 [archive.is/nXHXz], 2010 [archive.is/nKbSA], religion [archive.is/XArBS]. The New Afrikan nation, and the nation of Nueva Aztlan, each have their own separate sections on this news page.
USA Homeland's resident nations:
American Nation, including the State Sovereignty campaigns, and Dominionist Campaigns. [tenthamendmentcenter.com]
* "US Nazis hope Trump presidential win will give them kiss of life" (2016-08-08, rt.com) [archive.is/Dk0Lw] [begin excerpt]: A win for Donald Trump in the presidential race would be a “great opportunity for white nationalists” to build “pro-white” unions, the leader of the US Nazi party said, adding that the candidate's statements have shown that Nazi views are not so unpopular.
The remarks were made by American Nazi Party (ANP) chairman Rocky Suhayda, on his radio program in July. The statements resurfaced in the US media on Saturday, with BuzzFeed releasing the audio from the program.
“We have a wonderful opportunity here folks, that may never come again, at the right time,” Suhayda said. “Donald Trump’s campaign statements, if nothing else, have shown that ‘our views’ are not so ‘unpopular’ as the Political Correctness crowd have told everyone they are!”
Suhayda said he believes Trump “is going to win the election this November, for various reasons.”
“I think it’s gonna surprise the enemy, because, I think that they feel that the white working class, especially the male portion of the working class, and with him his female counterparts have basically thrown in the towel. Given up hope of any politician again standing up for their interests,” he said. [end excerpt]
The Longview News-Journal newspaper wished the Ku Klux Klan a happy birthday with a picture of a burning cross on the FRONT PAGE OF THE SUNDAY PAPER, and with phrases like "seeks to reshape itself seeing opportunities in US political trends" and "dreams of restoring itself to what it once was" along with listing of all local chapters..
Why do I feel like I am reading a recruitment piece?
Northbay Uprising FM Radio News is broadcast courtesy of 89.5 FM-KZCT [OzcatRadio.com]
On Ozcat Radio, tune-in online [is.gd/kJ1EUt] for:
- The Stranger News, broadcast Thursdays, 5 to 5:30pm, featuring latest news on science, technology, space, and cutting-edge research on the mind, world history, and entheogenics!
- The Northbay UpRising Morningshow, broadcast Tuesdays, 7 to 9am, with local news, and topics on Peace, the Ecology, Do-It-Yourself ideas, and Communitarianism!
- KBBF Weekly News, broadcast Tuesdays at 8:45pm, on the Northbay UpRising morningshow!
- The Ozcat Roundtable, a topical news program broadcast Wednesdays, 3 to 6pm, with hosts Billy I. (pictured), Jeremy, and the Nomad!
Also tune-in to these other radio shows!
* KZFR Peace and Social Justice Show