Tune in Thursdays 4 to 5pm (PST), at 89.5FM in the northeast San Pablo Bay Area, or online at [is.gd/kJ1EUt].
Hosted by Dr.G., Minister of Information of the Bay Area Movement for a People's Democracy (MPD)[peoplesdemocracybayarea.blogspot.com].
Be a Community Journalist with our Community Journalist's Notebook [link]. Send news & info to [PeoplesDemocracyBayArea@) gmail.com].
Archived webpages at (archive.org) and at (archive.is) are available even if the original is taken down. News links are provided for educational purposes only, and do not constitute an endorsement of political tendencies, or, of foreign governments. Circumvent "Error 451" [archive.is/WOZXx] by using the proxy server at [webproxy.to] or, by using Tor Browser [is.gd/r18EVD].
Stories are reviewed and provided by Bay Area MPD Committees and Affiliates
BAY AREA SOLIDARITY
Updates on campaigns for Peace, Justice, & Freedom across the greater Bay Area, Norcal, and Socal
* (2016-10-01) [archive.is/hMeYA]: Statewide People's Safety Meeting at the entrance to Border Field State Park / Imperial Beach. The significance of this meet up!? “Los Dos Californias,” a convergence of community activists, students/estudiantes, teachers/maetrxs, advocates, warriors, concerned organizers and groups from throughout both Alta and/y Baja California. In Solidarity with San Quintín. Marking one (1) year since the beginning of the call to the Driscoll's / BerryMex Boycott was first announced. The Boycott Continues......
!! BOYCOTT DRISCOLLS ACTION IN FULL EFFECT !!
Nine black men killed in five days... God help us...
Say their names: Alfred Olango, 30, Christopher Sowell, 32, Jacquarius M. Robinson, 20. George Richards-Meyers, 18, Najier Salaam, 18, Reginald Thomas, 36, Douglas Marrickus Rainey, 32, Carnell Snell Jr., 18 ...and an as yet unnamed teenager in Los Angeles
* "White Guy Shot TWO COPS. But Don’t Worry He’s Fine" (2016-08-12, countercurrentnews.com) [archive.is/AIgOw]
Join the Justice 4 Mario Woods Coalition to DEMAND that DA Gascon charge Killer Cops with Murder!
It is unfathomable that as we see other cops being charged across the country for their heinous murders of Black and Brown people – we in San Francisco still await a SINGLE charge or action from our District Attorney. Not only has DA Gascon not charged anyone in the on-camera execution-style killing of Mario Woods – this DA has not EVER filed charges for ANY of the egregious killings of black and brown people that this city has seen. The DA’s own Blue Ribbon Panel has found damning evidence of violence, corruption, racism, homophobia within SFPD – leading to these murders – and the Chief of Police has resigned in shame over his bloody reign of terror – and STILL Gascon has not acted.
Join us! To demand District Attorney George Gascon CHARGE Killer Police!
Justice for all victims of police violence
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH
Justice For Mario Woods Coalition
The State of California is now forbidden from conducting business with any company that is found to engage in any type of boycott against any foreign government unless mandated to do so by Federal law (like against the Socialist Republic of Cuba, the Arab Republic of Syria, or the DPRK). Human rights abuses against governments in Latin America are addressed by companies that would rather not trade with a slave labor regime... this course of action is now considered hostile to State of California.
* "California governor signs anti-BDS bill into law" (2016-09-25, jpost.com) [archive.is/X7fGf]
* "Black man fatally shot by El Cajon Police was unarmed, pointing e-cigarette" (2016-09-29, rt.com) [archive.is/gObXs]
* "Police arrest 2, fire pepper balls at protesters in El Cajon, California following altercations" (2016-09-30, rt.com) [archive.is/h06eS]
* " ‘Police shot me in face for no reason’: El Cajon protest witness talks to RT" (2016-09-30, rt.com) [archive.is/4aXmb]
* (2016-09-30) [archive.is/wjIxH]: Richelle washabaugh hit with bean bag from police. Photos [archive.is/x9uS4] [archive.is/HQa3F] [archive.is/ISP4m] [archive.is/XMPiq] [archive.is/L0O6r].
Comment: Israeli trained police departments are told to aim for the eyes for maximum terror.
* "Violent protests break out in California over Alfred Olango, unarmed black man fatally shot by police" (2016-09-30, nydailynews.com) [archive.is/OzA1T]
* (2016-05-16, Maile Hampton) [archive.is/vSfJb]:
Trump supporters calling my work misgendering me and saying "do you know she's a communist"
Everyone at my work knew I was a communist the day I started working there. My manager told my coworker to just hang up. Then they called back saying "Do you know your employee was burning the American flag? I just wanted to let you know because you shouldn't have someone who is a communist working there" then my manager replied with "is that all?"
[comment]: For a while after the demo, every other time the phone rang at the SF office it was a Trump supporter either with death threats or talking some ignorant shit. Stay strong comrade, your rant was spot on!
Read more comments at [archive.is/j6fxc].
* (2016-10-01, Ras Ceylon): Historic vibes when Colin Kaepernick met Mahmoud Abdul Rauf yesterday in the East Bay.. they are holding a photo of the '67 Ali Summit when Jim Brown, Kareem Abdul Jabbar & others stood in solidarity wit Muhammad Ali (RA) who was being persecuted by the state for being a conscientious objector to the war in Vietnam! This is the legacy of resistance. When Kaep chose not to stand for the anthem, the 1st person many of us thought about was good bro. Mahmoud, formerly known as Chris Jackson, who got whiteballed from a hall of fame NBA career for making the same conscious choice in 1996... 20yrs later the struggle continues & we the People must continue to support those who stand and speak against oppression and injustice much love to my bros for making this unity happen!!
Such an honor to build with brother @mahmoudar123, one of the bravest athletes of all time who's principled stance and sacrifices will forever be remembered by lovers of truth and justice. He was a childhood hero of mine and we pray that Allah SWT will reward him in this life and the next. Ameen!
* "Colin Kaepernick meets original Anthem protester Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf for the first time; It was kind of a historic moment" (2016-10-01, ninersnation.com) [is.gd/TD8cwa]
* "Obama asks Kaepernick to think about pain he's causing military families" (2016-09-28, politico.com) [archive.is/2XtCk]. Comment: An anthem is not the military. Wars cause military deaths, and these wars are illegal, and cause untold harm. Symbolic things like flags do not represent veterans. Anti-War movements do more for veterans than standing to an anthem. And, when did "Support the Troops" mean silencing critics of Human Rights Abuse in the USA?
* " ‘I won’t be silent’: Serena Williams speaks out on police violence controversy" (2016-09-29, rt.com) [archive.is/V7M8J]
BAY AREA SOLIDARITY: Updates on campaigns across the Nation!
* "Arkansas State Rep. who pushed for law to film police, arrested for filming police" (2016-09-30, rt.com) [archive.is/AEst6]
* "West Point Launches Investigation After Photo Emerges of Black Female Cadets Posing With Raised Fists" (2016-05-08, ktla.com) [archive.is/yopUa]
* "West Point Won’t Punish Cadets in Raised-Fist Photo" (2016-05-10, nytimes.com) [archive.is/w7PdJ]
TOWARDS REVOLUTIONARY SOLUTIONS
* "A majority of millennials now reject capitalism, poll shows" (2016-04-26, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/buqdQ]
* "Millennials like socialism — until they get jobs" (2016-03-24, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/Zm5HB], an article failing to mention that lower taxes for workers is a demand in compensation for higher taxation of corporations and lowering the multitude of trillions of dollars spent on national security and the military combined for 2017.
* "The Future Of America? – More Than Half Of All U.S. Adults Under Age 30 Now Reject Capitalism" (2016-04-27, theeconomiccollapseblog.com) [archive.is/jqvu5]
* "Most Don’t Believe “Democratic Socialist” Label Makes a Difference", from "Harvard IOP Fall 2015 Poll" press release (The President and Fellows of Harvard College, iop.harvard.edu) [is.gd/PAwAdI], which also points out that, as of the daye of publication, "Starting at 1% in Spring 2015, Bernie Sanders Now Holds Lead (41%-35%) over Hillary Clinton", showing the extreme lead among us for the self-identified Socialist candidate for the Democrat Party nomination for 2016 candidate of POTUS. View the complete set of charts at [is.gd/Vp7WDf].
Suck a mockery is given by the Two-Party Dictatorship, that Hillary Clinton absolutely despises millennialistas and our shared poverty and feels comfortable to make her hatred known...
* "Clinton describes Sanders supporters as ‘basement-dwellers’ & ‘baristas’ in leaked recording" (2016-10-01, rt.com) [archive.is/YuR8o]
But ol' "Dirt Bag" Lady Hillary has a plan for you... yes, YOU! It is called a "back door" draft, for use in the homeland and national defense, and it is not progressive, nor will it add up to anything useful that raises the standard of living for the people generally, despite the announcements and funding. But you'd have to wait years to notice this, and, in the end, you will be pressed for service, and the national security state will gain millions of useful helpers to target dissent and whatever else the program calls for.
* "Clinton calls for ‘National Service Reserve’ for millennials" (2016-09-30, rt.com) [archive.is/qXMjv]
* PCUSA 1st congress [youtube.com/watch?v=4kgC7YLzDl0]
* "Why American Communists Should Join the PCUSA" [youtube.com/watch?v=fhJOAEnViS8] The PCUSA (not to be confused with the liberal revisionist CPUSA) is an anti-revisionist Marxist-Leninist party that I urge all American comrades to join, link to their webpage: [partyofcommunistsusa.org]
"Liberal revisionist CPUSA"? Here's an example, from the CPUSA's most famous member...
* "Angela Davis: ‘I Am Not So Narcissistic to Say I Cannot Bring Myself to Vote for Hillary Clinton’ ; Davis made her position clear today: The priority for black people in this election should be to stop Donald Trump" (2016-09-30, theroot.com) [archive.is/p7SBZ]
* "Ignoring Angela Davis" (2016-10-04, by Margaret Kimberley, blackagendareport.com) [archive.is/BzsN0] [begin excerpt]: How low the icon has fallen. Angela Davis diminished herself and “denounced her own history when she endorsed Barack Obama in 2008 and in 2012, claiming the corporate imperial Democrat was part of the “black radical tradition.” Davis now signals she’s in Clinton’s corner, and smears independent voters as “narcissists.” Who will “Free Angela” from her shameful servitude to the Democratic Party? [...]
It is difficult to convey to younger generations what Angela Davis meant to black people and to everyone who fought for liberation. When she was wanted by the FBI and tried for murder in 1972 she was the ultimate hero, one of the last of that era and one of the few to emerge unscathed. The cry, “Free Angela” and her image were ubiquitous as was the demand for her freedom. After her acquittal she did not give an inch. She denounced the United States prison system, then a shell of what it is now, never shrank from calling herself a Marxist and spoke against injustice practiced here and around the world. She twice ran for vice president on the Communist Party USA ticket and could be counted on to fiercely criticize of this nation’s policies.
But Barack Obama seems to have cast the same spell on Davis that he has on the rest of black America. She denounced her own history when she endorsed Barack Obama in 2008 and in 2012 she not only supported him again but claimed that he was part of the “black radical tradition.” The lie is so grotesque that it is difficult to know if she was really thinking when she said those words. Nor was that her first foolish remark uttered on behalf of Obama. Her 2010 statement that “Obama won despite the power of money” was equally bizarre. Barack Obama set fund raising records in his presidential campaign. Ms. Davis aided and abetted his marketing ploy which gave the appearance of a people-based movement when in fact he perfected the art of creating a record breaking campaign war chest. [end excerpt]
SOLIDARITY WITH THE NEW AFRICAN NATION!
Black Power! Revive the Community! Defend the Nation!
National News [blackagendareport.com] [atlantablackstar.com] [sfbayview.com]
* "Enough is Enough-Pigs must stop killing us!" (2016-09-29) [archive.is/6Pr4o] [archive.is/FKxef] [archive.is/ZmAME], attached video [https://youtu.be/COPwHOZWc4U]. BLACK RIDERS - New Generation Black Panther Party for Self-Defense! Join Now - email@example.com
Black Power! All Power to the People! RBG 4 LIFE!
R.I.P. Alfred Olango in San Diego, Ca.
* "Chicago Police Department Warns of Gangs’ Threats to Attack Officers" (2016-08-09, nytimes.com) [archive.is/Ddizb]
* "14-yo black teen critically wounded after shootout with Missouri police" (2016-10-02, rt.com) [archive.is/gHBD3]
* (2015-07-14, facebook.com/shaunking) [archive.is/DgsdH]: Wow. A brother found this at his local gun range. Guess what the letters stand for in the corner? International Association of Law Enforcement Firearm Instructors.
* (2016-09-29) [archive.is/rmHJB]: Such an honor to stand next to 2 heroes Kevin Moore who filmed his friend Freddie Gray last moments alive before Baltimore Police murder him and Ramsey Orta who filmed his friend Eric Garner being murder by NYPD Officer Daniel Pantaleo in Staten Island. We need this whole world to be like them and show what racism and police terror looks like in ameriKKKa! I salute these two brothers.
* "Tensions at rival White & Black Lives Matter protests flare in Houston" (2015-10-02, rt.com) [archive.is/j08UO]
* "Black Lives Matter protest in Port Huron" (2016-10-04, thetimesherald.com) [archive.is/Jxm1Y]
* "Black Lives Matter in Palestine to Protest US-Funded 'Genocide' ; BLM argued that police violence and killings against Black people in the U.S. are connected to the decades-long Israeli oppression of Palestinians" (2016-07-31, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/gXWfp], photo caption: Black Lives Matter activists pose for a photo with local Palestinian activists during a protest in Bilin village near Ramallah, July 29, 2016.
* "New York: Undercover Officers Spied on Black Lives Matter Activists" (2016-09-30, democracynow.org) [archive.is/bkher]
* "NYPD used undercover police to snoop on Black Lives Matter protests - court documents" (2016-09-29, rt.com) [archive.is/AVueZ]
Demonization of Human Rights:
* "Police Find 19 White Female Bodies In Freezers With “Black Lives Matter” Carved Into Skin" (2016-02, tmzhiphop.com) [archive.is/gtkwb]
* "Frost Spite: No, police didn't find 12 (or 19) bodies in a freezer, with "Black Lives Matter" carved into the victims' skin" (2016-02-19, snopes.com) [archive.is/sBOXj]
* "College students suspended for mocking #BlackLivesMatter in 'blackface' video" (2016-10-02, rt.com) [archive.is/wEfSO]
* "Anti #BlackLivesMatter protester dressed as Gorilla invades field, gets smashed" (2016-10-03, rt.com) [archive.is/0HtWK]
* "Feminist Bookstore Slams 'Portlandia' And Says Show Can No Longer Film There" (2016-09-30, npr.org) [archive.is/8lBoX] [begin excerpt]: The store also says it has undergone changes in the past two years, saying that it now hosts meetings of Portland's Black Lives Matter group and that "the last time the show filmed in our space, the production crew asked to us to remove the Black Lives Matter sign on our window. We refused."
In another passage, the store's staff accuses Portlandia of essentially rolling out a red carpet of twee and whimsy "for the incoming technocrat hordes."
In Other Words is located in a northeast Portland district called Albina — an area that has a rich history as a home for the city's black residents. Responding to the store's accusation that Portlandia contributes to gentrification and depicts an overly white Portland, at least two readers took the store to task. [end excerpt]
* "Texas man vandalizes own truck with anti-police messages, blames it on Black Lives Matter activists: cops" (2015-09-19, nydailynews.com) [archive.is/m58Jj]
* "Man shoots and kills wife, blames his fear of Black Lives Matter" (2016-09-30, dailykos.com) [archive.is/TQ3zM]
* "Hate graffiti spray-painted on wall and in yards" (2016-09-27, abcactionnews.com) [archive.is/E2AhJ] [begin excerpt]: Deputies found graffiti in Hillsborough County at two different locations. One wall was hit along Gornto Lake Road in Brandon, with the phrase "kill white people" spray painted. Other tags read "black lives matter" and "BLM."
A crew painted over the phrases. [end excerpt]
As compared to another example of "BLM" graffiti:
* "The new Trump Hotel in DC, vandalized" (2016-10-03) [archive.is/lFseY]
(2016-10-03, via facebook.com/boingboing) [archive.is/3FfrV]:
- [comment]: How is this anti-police? I don't see it saying anything at all about police...
But if you read That and immediately think it's about the cops, well that just shows how fucking related those two things have become in this society... And that's a problem
* "What Method of Protest is acceptable for Black People" (2016-10-03, by Keith "Malik" Washington):
Colin Kaepernick and numerous other NFL Football players have staged peaceful quiet protests by taking a knee or exhibiting the "Raised Fist of Solidarity."
I read one letter in the USAToday published on September 14th, 2016, which read: "By disrespecting the Flag, you are also disrespecting the majority of people who are not part of the issue you are trying to highlight".
Now, let's fully dissect this issue.
A lot of these men play Football for millions of dollars and have themselves seen police brutality close up. Many of these men are Black Men and whether anyone believes this or not, there is a collective hurt and pain felt when they watch persons whose mandate is to protect and serve actually maim and kill human beings that look just like them.
People must start to realize that these extra-judicial killings of people of color by police is an Amerikan problem. There are millions of White Folks who don't want to be defined as racist or a hater of Black or Brown people. So if Colin Kaepernick is disrespecting the Amerikan Flag by taking a knee, could we not say that some police disrespect the Flag when they indiscriminately murder young Black men while wearing a U.S. Flag sewn on their upper sleeve?!
So, the question that presents itself is: What method of protest is acceptable for Black People in Amerika?
I am a Civil Rights and Human Rights Activist, and I am trapped in an Amerikan prison in Texas, and because I value human life, the murder of the police in response to the actions of a few rogue cops is unacceptable to me, killing cops is not an acceptable method of protest. However, Amerikan Society demonizes and criminalizes Black Folks simply for writing or speaking out about the murdering of our boys and men!
We keep acting like everything is alright when it's not, and then tell the victims of this increasing madness to "shut-up and take it!" No! I am not going to shut up and be quiet as former NFL Quarterback Trent Tilfer suggested that Mr. Kaepernick do. I say this loudly and clearly without any hesitation: #BLACK Lives Matter!
The State of Texas has the largest state prison system in the United States. Not only does the State refuse to pay prisoners anything for their labor, they have compounded the problem by setting up a fraudulent Good Time/ Work Time Credit scheme which does not benefit tens of thousands of prisoners and is tantamount to enslaving us. I am myself, as are numerous other male and female prisoners across the State, challenging these unfair and fraudulent practices in Federal Court. It is our right to petition the government for redress of our grievances.
We have been subjected and exposed to inhumane and toxic living and working conditions, deadly extreme heat, arsenic-laden drinking water, and hazardous factory environments with slave treatment and abuse by Texas State Employees.
After becoming fed up, I myself and another fellow prisoner Mr. Norris Hicks started a campaign which has over the course 8-9 months, transformed into a Movement to End Prison Slavery in Texas, this campaign is for real.
In retaliation for my peaceful organizing I have been placed in Long-Term Solitary Confinement. Media correspondents who seek interviews with me are refused an audience or visitation with me because I have exposed a part of Texas that State Officials don?t want exposed. We CAN solve our own problems together, but placing a muzzle over people's mouths, or criminalizing the actions of those who dissent is not going to solve anything.
My name is Keith "Malik" Washington, and I am the chief spokespersyn for the End Prison Slavery in Texas Movement. I have something relevant and meaningful to contribute to the conversation surrounding Social Justice and Mass Incarceration inside the United States. If you are a journalist or reporter, or simply a citizen who has been moved by my words, I humbly requestyou help amplify my voice. All Power To The People!
Visit us [facebook.com/EndTexasPrisonAbuse]
Keith "Malik" Washington is a prisoner at the largest prison in the State of Texas, the H.H. Coffield Unit. Mr. Washington is a regular contributing writer for the San Francisco Bay View (a National Black Newspaper) and can be reached directly at:
Mr. KEITH H. WASHINGTON,
H.H. Coffield Unit,
2661 F.M. 2054,
Tennessee Colony, Texas 75884
* "BLACK RIDERS meets 1960's Black Panthers - Sister's - Erica Huggins and Elaine Brown..." (2016-10-01, BRLP) [archive.is/B7bPL]
information collected by the Committee to Defend Public Education!
* "Ruling: Grad students at private universities can unionize" (2016-08-23, AP Newswire) [archive.is/nvFlF]
* "NLRB: Graduate Students at Private Universities May Unionize; Federal labor board overturns ruling that denied collective bargaining rights. On many campuses, grad students vow to organize. Many higher ed leaders and Republicans in Congress criticize ruling" (2016-08-24, insidehighered.com) [archive.is/pAZm3]
* "Possible Path to Grad Union; Graduate students reach an agreement with Cornell that could carve a path for them to form a union, rare among private institutions, and avoid the long court battles that have been expected" (2016-06-02, insidehighered.com) [archive.is/cMkan]
* "Grad Students Get the Go-Ahead to Unionize" (2016-09-30, labornotes.org): In August the National Labor Relations Board ruled that graduate employees at private universities have the right to unionize. Cartoon: Daniel Mendez Moore
* "College Students Protest, Alumni’s Fondness Fades and Checks Shrink" (2016-08-04, nytimes.com) [archive.is/xJHE9]
* "Students left in lurch as for-profit college collapses" (2016-09-06, sfgate.com) [archive.is/tz9kM] [begin excerpt]: Several hundred students set to start their fall quarter next week at the Oakland and Concord branches of ITT Technical Institute instead woke up Tuesday to find that their for-profit school was shutting down every campus across the country, prompting questions about student loan debt, transferring colleges and the legitimacy of their course credits.
ITT Educational Services Inc., which operates the education company, blamed the closures on the U.S. Department of Education’s decision last month to bar ITT Tech from enrolling new students who rely on federal financial aid.
The enrollment ban came after state and federal regulators found that the company repeatedly failed to meet minimum standards for accreditation and financial management. Last month, the Education Department required the company to boost its cash reserves to prepare for potential damage claims and develop plans to help students finish programs at other schools in case the chain were to shut down. [end excerpt]
information collected by the Worker's Defense Committee [is.gd/VOkmLr]
* "The 17th World Trade Union Congress Kicks Off" (2016-10-05, wftucentral.org):
Watch a recording from the live feed here [wftucentral.org/the-17th-world-trade-union-congress-kicks-off/].
The 17th World Trade Union Congress kicked off today on October 5thThe heart of International working class is beating in Durban, South Africa.
Photos [archive.is/h9MA7] [archive.is/ke6Cv], from Joseph Hancock, our regional representative to the 17th World Trade Union Congress, organizer for our Movement for People's Democracy.
* (2016-10-03, The WFTU Secretariat, wftucentral.org):
Hundreds of workers and employees from 111 countries of the 5 continents are arriving in Durban, South Africa with great enthusiasm from today in order to participate to the 17th World Trade Union Congress, organized in the heroic land of South Africa.
So far, according to the featured numbers, in the Congress are going to take part:
- 1200 trade-union participants
- 111 countries from the 5 continents
- 340 women trade-unionists
- 31% of the delegates are from the Public Sector and 69% are private employees.
The WFTU leadership would like to thank the South Africa working class as well as its militant trade unions for their great initiative to host a great trade union event like this.
The 17th World Trade Union Congress is going to be a great democratic, open, internationalist and class-oriented trade union event.
* "South Africa: The WFTU General Secretary adressed the Eric Mtshali “Stalin” Lecture" (2016-10-04, wftucentral.org) [archive.is/C7I9w]: The WFTU General Secretary, George Mavrikos adressed a speech on a Lecture for comrade Eric Mtshali “Stalin”, one of the stalwards of the South African Trade Union Movement and cadre of WFTU. The Lecture took place in Pinetown as a pre-Congress initiative.
Photos [archive.is/PFqKW] [archive.is/q4Lmh] [archive.is/QH5LD] [archive.is/MxrIR] [archive.is/CQLyg] [archive.is/ALrwS] [archive.is/95r6P] [archive.is/zIMwb].
* "Striking Healthcare Workers in Chiapas (Mexico) Need Our Urgent Support!" (2016-10-03, The Organizer Newspaper): On Sunday, September 25, an estimated 300 trade unionists and activists gathered at a rally in the auditorium of the Palenque (Chiapas) chapter of Section 50 of the National Healthcare Workers Union of Mexico (SNTSSA). The Palenque chapter and the local chapters in three other cities in the state of Chiapas have been out on strike for 126 days to demand a halt to the healthcare "counter-reform" law aimed at privatizing healthcare in Mexico.
In Palenque the implementation of this law has led to the drastic reduction of medicines and medical supplies for patients, with the request that patients help cover the costs of these scarce items -- when all healthcare at the Mexican Institute of Social Security (IMSS) and at ISSSTE (for government workers) has been free up till now.
The striking healthcare workers were joined by public school teachers from Section 40 of the National Teachers Union, or SNTE-CNTE. Nine speakers addressed the gathering, including Russell Aguilar Brindis, who is well known in Palenque and throughout Chiapas as one of the founders of the national CNTE dissident wing of the teachers' union. The CNTE is the leadership of the union in four states and has large caucuses in all other states across Mexico.
Also, among those assembled was a contingent of Ch'ol indigenous people from the "comunidades de base." As a result of the healthcare "counter-reform," they have received no medicines or supplies for the past six months at their outposts, and their children are dying. Many of them walked up to six hours to the main roads, where they took buses or jumped on trucks to get to the rally.
The situation facing the striking healthcare workers in the Palenque region is dire. Nine workers have been fired for waging an "illegal work stoppage." Forty-five others have had their bimonthly wages terminated. And the state government is threatening to fire large numbers of other workers, and to stop all wage payments, if the workers don't put an end to their strike.
A Rich and Far-Reaching Discussion -
Alan Benjamin, a trade union activists from the United States and member of the Organizing Committee of the Mumbai Conference Against War, Exploitation and Precarious Labor, was invited to address the Palenque rally as a keynote speaker. He explained the fundamental problems with the U.S. healthcare system, which is based on the U.S. private-insurance model. The Mexican government, in the name of "healthcare reform" and the creation of "universal healthcare," is seeking to impose the U.S. model and to destroy the Mexican public healthcare system.
Because the rally participants were convinced that only the working class, at a national and international level, is capable of forcing the bosses and the government to bend to their demands, the assembly issued an International Appeal addressed to workers and their organizations in Mexico and internationally, calling on them to support the struggle of the healthcare workers in Chiapas. [See appeal below.]
In the rally speeches and in the discussion that ensued, many speakers commented on the agreement recently reached between the federal government and the CNTE teachers' union after four months of strike. This was a militant strike against the privatization of public education waged in four states across Mexico (Guerrero, Oaxaca, Chiapas and Michoacán) that was violently repressed by the authorities, most notably in the Oaxacan town of Nochixtlán, where 13 teachers and supporters were killed and dozens were injured by the army and police.
The 11-point agreement includes the decision to not implement the education "reform" until after 2018, when a new president is to take office. Other points include hiring more teachers, increasing the education budget, freeing all detained teachers, dropping all legal and other charges against the striking teachers and concerned parents, and creating "round-tables" with the union to discuss ways to "improve" the proposed education "counter-reform." This last point was hotly contested by many of the participants in the rally, as it would involve having the union forfeit its independence and accept the basic framework of the education "counter-reform."
It is precisely because the question of the independence of the trade unions was posed that the participants in the Palenque rally agreed to endorse the Mumbai Conference Against War, Exploitation and Precarious Labor and to mandate a representative of the rally to attend the conference in Mumbai. The rally chair noted that the Mexican delegation to Mumbai was being put together from within the struggles and mobilizations of the workers and their community allies.
International Appeal from Palenque -
To the trade unions and community organizations in Mexico and the world over,
To all workers in the healthcare sector worldwide:
On May 23, 2016, in the region of Palenque, Chiapas (Mexico) -- just as in other regions of Chiapas -- healthcare workers of Section 50 of the National Union of Healthcare Workers (SNTSSA) began a strike against the misnamed "reform" of the national healthcare system.
During the past 126 days, around 350 Palenque healthcare workers (65% of whom are women) have waged a hard-fought struggle in support of their main demands, which are:
* proper provisioning of medicines and medical supplies in the hospitals and outposts to the indigenous communities;
* no to the theft by the state authorities of monies that should be going into the workers' retirement plans (and the repayment of all stolen funds);
* the reinstatement of the nine workers who were fired for going out on strike; and
* the back-payment of wages withheld to 45 workers for striking and simply defending the right to healthcare that is enshrined in the Mexican Constitution.
The 126 days of struggle have shown that the path of mobilization is the most effective path. The recent mobilizations initiated by 400 healthcare workers in the region of Comitan, and the recent occupation of the offices of the Ministry of Health in Tuxtla Gutierrez, only underscore this point.
During the 126-day strike, we have understood the need to build instruments to promote our unity and our struggle to oppose and/or repeal all the government "counter-reforms" that destroy our rights and gains. This is why we support the call by the Mexican Electrical Workers (SME) and many others to build a new Trade Union Federation (Nueva Central de Trabajadores).
This is also why, having been informed about the Call for a World Conference Against War, Exploitation and Precarious Labor in Mumbai, India, we have decided to support this call.
Our International Appeal from Palenque is addressed to political, trade union and community organizations and activists throughout the world. It is addressed to all who defend healthcare as a right -- which for us means full access to medicines and care in hospitals and clinics, the reinstatement of all fired healthcare workers, and the repayment of back wages and retirement funds to all the healthcare workers in the Palenque region of Chiapas.
We call on all of you to endorse this International Appeal from Palenque. We will be sending it, with all the names of individuals and organizations gathered from around the world, to Lic. Manuel Velasco Coello (State Governor of Chiapas), Dr. José Narro Robles (Minister of Health of Mexico) and Dr. Francisco Ortega Farera (Minister of Health of the state of Chiapas).
Please send your endorsement of this Appeal to Lic. Saul Alejandro Hernandez Nucamendi (email: licnucamendi-Palenque@hotmail.com), with copies to Russell Aguilar Brindis (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) and Nambiath Vasudevan (email: email@example.com).
-- Palenque, Chiapas, Mexico, September 25, 2016
Palenque (Chiapas): A True "Grito" by The People for Mexican Independence
[Note: The following report is based on an interview with Saul Alejandro Hernandez Nucamendi, a trade unionist in the healthcare sector in Palenque, Chiapas.]
September 16 marks the day in 1810 when Mexico won its independence from Spain. The night before, just before midnight, Father Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla issued his famous "Grito", or Cry of Proclamation, of Mexican independence. Every year on the eve of September 16, the municipal buildings across Mexico are the site of huge gatherings to hear the local mayors, governors, or (in Mexico City) the president, issue the "Grito."
In Palenque, where teachers and healthcare workers have been on strike for many months, and where indigenous communities have been deprived of their rights, their lands and their access to water, the townspeople assembled near the town square on the evening of September 15 to hold a "Counter-Grito" as a means of expressing their deep anger at the local, state and national authorities for "forfeiting Mexico's independence to the imperialist master to the North" (the U.S. government).
The crowd began to swell, as students, workers, parents, street vendors, peasants, and indigenous peoples from the town and its surroundings began their march toward the Palacio Municipal. So big was the crowd, but also so disciplined, that as they marched forward into the town square, the police and members of the National Guard had no choice but to remove the barricades and allow the marchers to enter the square; the authorities did not want to be responsible for a bloody confrontation with a peaceful, but determined, outpouring of all sectors of the local population.
This initial victory only emboldened the townspeople, led by the striking teachers and healthcare workers, to push forward and take over the stage in front of the town hall from which the mayor was scheduled to issue the famous independence proclamation.
And take over the stage they did, as a representative of the fighting population -- not the mayor -- issued the famous "Grito," adding a few key demands that expressed the aspiration to national sovereignty and true independence of Mexico's workers and people: No to the "Counter-Reforms" of Healthcare and Education imposed by President Enrique Peña Nieto at the behest of the U.S. government, U.S. transnational corporations, and U.S.-controlled international financial institutions!
"Never in the recent history of Chiapas, and perhaps of our country, have the people taken over the public square to issue their independence proclamation, preventing the local authorities from even addressing the crowd," a healthcare organizer from Chiapas told the healthcare solidarity rally in Palenque on September 25. "This is a sign of things to come."
* "NLRB ruling could strengthen the power of strikes" (2016-09-29, peoplesworld.org) [archive.is/sGFTp]
* "Board says Richmond Walmart strikers were wrongly punished" (2016-09-06, sfgate.com) [archive.is/MiwA4]
* "NLRB Moves Forward with Another Massive Complaint Against Mega Hospital Chain CHS Charges Also Issued for the First Time Against CHS Spin-off, Quorum Health Corporation" (2016-09-29, commondreams.org) [archive.is/eNuju]
* "How Community-College Faculty Organized a Strike and Scored a Contract" (2016-09-07, labornotes.org) [archive.is/EJxNc]
* "Nobody should have to live this way; Can you imagine coming home to this?" (2016-09-29, ufw.org):
The reason for this situation is simple: farm workers aren’t paid enough. Some farm workers have no home at all. Lucio Vasquez Reyes has lived in Monterey County for 44 years. He currently hoes and thins lettuce to support his family. His family suddenly became homeless when their landlord asked them to leave. Lucio, his wife and son now sleep in their car. "What we earn is not enough," Lucio explains. "The salary in the fields is so little. $10 per hour is not enough to pay a rent of $1,500 to $2,000."
Farm worker Belsy Garcia also lives in an area where housing is expensive. For the past five years, her home has been a garage in Oxnard. "I struggle when the sun beats down and my room gets really hot," she says. "Since my garage is not insulated, the winters are very cold." The garage faces an alley where neighbors put out their garbage. "The maggots from the trash cans crawl under the garage door and into my living space."
Vivaldo Rojas, a vineyard worker, lives in a small shack in Madera, California. "My income is not enough to pay for decent housing," Vivaldo says. "We don’t have any guarantee in our jobs, we don’t have health insurance, we don’t have holidays." He feels powerless and expresses little hope that things will ever get better. "We get paid when they want and what they want and we have to work no matter what."
For 54 years the only thing that has helped us improve the lives of farm workers like Vivaldo, Belsy, Lucio and Carlos is a union contract.
* "A Union Is Brewing at Virginia Lipton Factory" (2016-09-27, labornotes.org) [archive.is/QsN19]
* "Unions announce nationwide boycott of Trump hotels" (2016-09-29, peoplesworld.org) [archive.is/48Fvr]
HANDS OFF OUR HOMES!
* "Alameda rent control activist trying not to be evicted" (2016-09-04, sfchronicle.com) [archive.is/TlXxL]
information collected by the Committee to
DEFEND THOSE WITHOUT HOMES!
* " 'Dogtown Redemption' Brings Film Back to the Streets With Street Spirit" (2016-05-13, postnewsgroup.com) [archive.is/b1ykw] [begin excerpt]: Shot over seven years, “Dogtown Redemption” follows three recyclers as they fight for survival, amidst addiction, mental health issues, homelessness and poverty.
The film is an intimate look into the lives of “America’s unseen,” and was funded by California Humanities, Sundance Institute Documentary Film Program, San Francisco Foundation, and the Berkeley Film Foundation, among others.
Starting in May, DVDs of “Dogtown Redemption “will be available through Street Spirit’s network of over 100 homeless street vendors in the East Bay.
Street Spirit vendors will sell a DVD and an issue of the paper for $10.00. All proceeds go directly to the vendors. The pilot project is intended to make the life and work of the poor visible through their own voices and media. [end excerpt]
* "Tiny Homes For The Homeless Now Under Attack In California" (2016-05-18, by Isaac Davis) [archive.is/r3VrL]
* "Hundreds of homeless campers cleared from Springwater Corridor" (2016-05-04, kgw.com) [archive.is/Xn7MU]
* "New locale for Eugene “rest stop” for homeless campers narrowed to 2 sites" (2016-07-27, registerguard.com) [archive.is/zP7oW]
* "Large homeless encampment in Portland cleared out" (2016-09-01, mailtribune.com) [archive.is/iQN9u]
* "Portland police, park rangers clear out large homeless encampment along Springwater Corridor" (2016-09-02, AP Newswire) [archive.is/xKNny]
Documenting human-rights abuse by domestic security agencies
[NorthbayCopwatch.blogspot.com] [copblock.org] [wecopwatch.org] [filmingcops.com]
* "Do Not Resist: new film shows how US police have become an occupying army; Craig Atkinson’s documentary about police militarization in America asks an important question: how did we get here?" (2016-09-30, theguardian.com) [archive.is/7PTuH]
* (2016-09-29, Matt Sedillo): When you apologize for the cops, when you said he should have had his hands up, when you put the murdered on trial for their own execution, you are promoting death squad culture. There is no other way to put it.
* "Good Cop Files Lawsuit Against Corrupt Department That Told Him ‘If you snitch, your career is done’ " (2015-01-15, countercurrentnews.com) [archive.is/gLosT]
* "Sacramento police tried to run over man before shooting him, recordings reveal" (2016-09-30, sacbee.com) [archive.is/UP2hb]
* "Bodycam shows police firing 18 bullets at SUV, killing 6yo autistic boy" (2016-09-29, rt.com) [archive.is/9ECOE]
* " ‘OK, I’m dead’: Two Georgia sheriffs taser handcuffed man to death in shocking video" (2016-05-21, rt.com) [archive.is/hbAt3]
* "Oklahoma Cop Claims she was Justified in Killing Terence Crutcher Because she went 'Temporarily Deaf' " (2016-09-29, photographyisnotacrime.com) [archive.is/XWLOX]
* "Police Detective Who Threatened To Kill Teens And Plant Drug Evidence, Is Suspended, Not Fired" (2016-10-02, wamc.org) [archive.is/3jLKy]
* "Man Breaks World Record for Saying “F the Police” to Police" (2016-04-17, copblock.org) [archive.is/UrTag]. The article explains why the man is still alive...
[begin excerpt]: You do NOT want to say “F*ck the Police” or give them the finger without a video camera. More times than not you will be harassed just like this man was but without a camera it could lead to much different results. Even with a camera folks have been arrested, pepper sprayed and jailed for such actions. Also, consider downloading Cell 411 [getcell411.com] which will not only allow you to livestream but notify your freinds of your exact location in case they can assist you. [end excerpt]
Attached video from the incident [youtube.com/watch?v=goRjS76SZXQ]
* "Omaha CopBlock Founder Arrested" (2015-12-09) [youtube.com/watch?v=hjAsUyqaORE]: Floyd Wallace the founder of Omaha CopBlock was arrest on Tuesday evening after saying F*ck the Police to an Omaha City police officer.
* "Teen accused of stealing 65-cent carton of milk at middle school to stand trial" (2016-09-30, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/3vtmk]
* "Undercover operation, in which officer worked at Burger King, netted 5 grams of marijuana, 2 pills" (2016-09-29, fredericknewspost.com) [archive.is/zOue6]
* "Narcotics Cop Who Ruined Countless Lives for Weed Possession, Busted with $2 Million in Marijuana" (2016-07-05, countercurrentnews.com) [archive.is/5T1m1]
* "FBI Arrests 46 Georgia Deputies For Selling Drugs To Prisoners" (2016-02-14, countercurrentnews.com) [archive.is/JoFZK]
* "Prison Guards at Rikers Island Failed to Report 98 Percent of Sexual Assaults Against Inmates; A shocking court filing reveals the toxic rape culture inside New York’s most notorious jail" (2015-10-22, usuncut.com) [archive.is/ijX0l]
* "Ohio cop shatters windshield of police cruiser with handcuffed man’s face" (2016-09-30, rt.com) [archive.is/47UV5], attached video [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_IpRf_HP4s]
NORTHBAY COPWATCH: Judiciary Watch
* "Majority of U.S. Supreme Court justices are millionaires; Breyer, Roberts, Ginsburg top list of wealthiest justices" (2016-06-22, publicintegrity.org) [archive.is/nK1UL]
NORTHBAY COPWATCH: Domestic Security Agencies and private-sector partners
* "Power Loves the Dark; Police Nationwide Are Secretly Exploiting Intrusive Technologies With the Feds’ Complicity" (2016-05-19, by Matthew Harwood and Jay Stanley, intro from tomdispatch.com) [archive.is/o9k3L], comment from whowhatwhy.org:
Minority Report - High-Tech Policing Without Constitutional Safeguards. Flush with federal grants, police departments across the country are splurging on new surveillance tools – including some fancy software labeled PredPol, for “predictive policing.” But attempts to constrain their use with court-obtained warrants are lagging far behind.
* "Congress Must Tell the FBI and DHS: Activism is Not Terrorism" (Bill of Rights Defense Committee, bordc.org) [archive.is/v1AFB]:
The FBI and DHS have been monitoring, tracking, infiltrating, and harassing Black Lives Matter, Occupy Wall Street, School of the Americas Watch and Anti-Keystone XL Pipeline Activists to name a few that we know of.
Tell Congress to do real oversight and investigate the extent of FBI and DHS political spying.
Petition to the House and Senate Judiciary Committees:
I am deeply disturbed by continuing revelations about how the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) monitored the peaceful, First Amendment-protected protests of School of the Americas Watch (SOAW), Occupy Wall Street, Black Lives Matter and anti-Keystone XL Pipeline activists. When law enforcement and intelligence agencies abuse their authorities to spy on dissent it has a chilling effect on speech that is felt broadly. I am particularly troubled by the fact that the FBI has used its counterterrorism authorities to spy on, monitor, and infiltrate social movements that it conceded had peaceful intent, as activism is not terrorism.
I support the demand of over sixty civil society groups calling on the Senate and House Judiciary Committees to investigate patterns of abuse by the FBI and DHS, and issue a substantive public report on:
- How the FBI and DHS came to monitor SOAW, Occupy Wall Street, Black Lives Matter, and anti-Keystone XL Pipeline activists;
- Why the surveillance and reporting have persisted, notwithstanding acknowledgements by these agencies that political activities were peaceful;
- What local law enforcement’s role and/or involvement was with the monitoring of SOAW, Occupy Wall Street, Black Lives Matter, and anti-Keystone XL Pipeline activists, in cooperation with DHS and FBI and/or to further DHS and FBI monitoring activities;
- What other non-violent political movements have been the target of counterterrorism activity; and
- What reforms are necessary to prevent this from happening again.
* "Recap: What We’ve Learned About Surveillance of Black Lives Matter" (2016-03-07, Bill of Rights Defense Committee, bordc.org) [archive.is/qbrh0]
* "Why Is The Federal Government Planting Microphones In Public?" (2016-05-18, by Derrick Broze) [archive.is/d7GML]
The nominal "boss" of the CIA and other public-sector domestic and transnational security agencies failed to learn about basic handling of Top Secret information in her possession?
* "Clinton failed to complete security training on handling top-secret information – report" (2016-09-29, rt.com) [archive.is/c66ob]
* "Oops! CIA watchdog ‘inadvertently’ destroys its only copy of torture report" (2016-05-16, rt.com) [archive.is/z6ZF2]
* "Hillary Clinton considered drone attack on Julian Assange - report" (2016-10-03, rt.com) [archive.is/BrtVk]
* "E-mail leaked by WikiLeaks doesn't demonstrate that Hillary Clinton suggested assassinating founder Julian Assange via a drone strike" (2016-10-03, snopes.com) [archive.is/4HbC5], so Snopes.com was wrong... way wrong. Read for yourself...
* "Under Intense Pressure to Silence Wikileaks, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton Proposed Drone Strike on Julian Assange" (2016-10-02, truepundit.com) [archive.is/bj6Nv]
* "Hillary Clinton on Assange 'Can't we just drone this guy' " (wikileaks) [archive.is/UwsJ1]
* "Omaha FBI office inspection reports are missing from COINTELPRO era" (2016-05-15, by Michael Richardson) [archive.is/0wLL3]
* " ‘Military-style’ armed police arrest 20+ Dakota Access protesters" (2016-09-29, rt.com) [archive.is/3qqdA]
* "Student Suspended, Visited By Cops, Forced Psych Eval — For Pro 2nd Amendment School Project" (2016-09-30, by Jack Burns) [archive.is/pEkOt]
* "US drug agency spent $237mn paying sources for free-to-obtain data – DOJ" (2016-10-01, rt.com) [archive.is/eAjYO]
* " 'Unconstitutional': Yahoo secretly scanned all incoming emails for US intelligence" (2016-10-04, rt.com) [archive.is/RA0qy]
* "Church of England reveals huge investment in Google" (2016-05-16, rt.com) [archive.is/c8FXG]
* (2016-10-01) The Northbay Uprising's Minister of Information is being prevented by a security algorithm at Facebook.com, from posting a labor union oriented comment that contains nothing can be construed as "hostile" to USA National Security! And what was this threatening comment that elicited such a policy of censorship? Here it is, uncensored [archive.is/XUOa6].
The comment was re-posted four times [archive.is/fAwqH], each with one or all three links removed, each comment posting prevented with an accompanying message [archive.is/lBimH] [begin text]:
Message Failed - This message contains content that has been blocked by our security systems.
If you think you're seeing this by mistake, please let us know. [end text]
* (2016-09-29) Google.com locks the Northbay Uprising News' Minister of Information out of the newssite... just before the start of the weekly FM news broadcast! It's security algorithm asked "impossible" questions in a Pythonesque manner akin to a comedy routine shown here [youtube.com/watch?v=IMxWLuOFyZM]. Watch the nonsense as it happened: [archive.is/hJnoh] [archive.is/HmHND] [archive.is/IpmOk] [archive.is/Jr1O1] [archive.is/85men].
* "NYC protest at Facebook office targets collusion with Israel, #FBCensorsPalestine" (2016-10-01, samidoun.net) [archive.is/NT4en]
* meme (2016-09-07, facebook.com/ImVotingForJillStein2016) [archive.is/bj1z2].
- comment (2016-10-02) [archive.is/2F0p8]: I am having problems posting well documented articles that are pro Jill, and those which are anti Hillary....sometimes to the point of fb crashing when I go to repost things.
* "Facebook’s relationship with 4 million advertisers: uncomplicated; Facebook tools give more data on users; Tracking across devices valuable for advertisers" (2016-09-29, sfchronicle.com) [archive.is/9knfC]
* The comment sections on the CIA's page are so inspiring, here is a random sampling:
* "Al-Qaeda online magazine calls for stabbing attacks in US" (2016-05-16, rt.com) [archive.is/MkcJ0]
* "Al-Qaeda eyes relocation to Syria, set to compete with ISIS for emirate – NYT" (2016-05-16, rt.com) [archive.is/Ih2uR]
NORTHBAY COPWATCH: International Security Agencies, the Five-Eyes, and transnational partners
* "Library worker arrested and beaten by Kansas City Police at public event" (2016-09-30, mhpbooks.com) [archive.is/LYeUm]
* "Library Worker Heroically Defends Patron’s Free Speech, Is Brutally Arrested in Library Where He Works" (2016-09-28, bordc.org) [archive.is/j9E8f]: “For someone to be assaulted and then arrested for asking a question, in a public library of all places, is abhorrent. The library should be a place where people of all points of view can feel safe and welcome,” Steve Woolfolk, director of public programing at the Kansas City Public Library told the Dissent NewsWire.
But that is exactly what happened during a question and answer session with former Bush Administration official and current AIPAC distinguished fellow Dennis Ross, when a local activist was arrested after asking Ross a question.
“I have spent the last 10 years of my life trying to cultivate that atmosphere through public programming at the library. Library staff should be the final arbiters of what constitutes reasonable discourse at a public event held inside a public library,” Woolfolk explained to the Dissent NewsWire. Yet, when he tried to intervene on the questioner’s behalf, Woolfolk found himself arrested at an event he helped plan.
The Kansas City Public Library is no stranger to hosting events, sometimes with controversial speakers. According to Woolfolk, the library hosts about 12 to 20 events a month and in the past has featured such speakers as Sandra Day O’Connor, Stephen Breyer, Dan Rather, Hal Holbrook, Robert Reich, and David Boaz. While Woolfolk does not like bringing armed security into the library, he notes that the library will make exceptions for talks that are particularly controversial. However, in spite of hosting several controversial speakers in the past or having audience members asking highly incendiary questions, the library has never had a problem. Woolfolk explains that when someone goes on for too long at the microphone, he merely politely reminds them that there are many others waiting for a chance to ask a question, a tactic he says has worked successfully in the past.
On May 9, 2016, the Kansas City Public Library hosted an event entitled “Truman and Israel,” featuring Ross, and sponsored by the library, the Truman Library Foundation, and the Jewish Community Foundation (JCF) of Greater Kansas City. Given that there had been a shooting at the Jewish Community Center in Kansas City several years back, the library agreed to allow off-duty police to be on the scene. However, the library set two conditions. First, nobody could be forcibly removed for asking an unpopular question. Second, nobody could be removed at all without consulting with the library staff, who would only allow an individual to be removed if staff concluded they were an imminent threat. In addition to the off-duty police officers, private security guards associated with the JCF were also present. In spite of these precautions, a local peace activist, Jeremy Rothe-Kushel, was removed. When Woolfolk tried to sort things out he was arrested.
According to Rothe-Kushe, he believes he was singled out due to his outspoken activism as soon as he had arrived at the event. Rothe-Kushel, who had RSVP’ed in advance, alleges that security subjected him and an associate to more rigorous security protocols, including a search of his bag, that the other hundreds of attendees were not made to endure.
After Ross’s presentation, the floor was opened to the audience for questions. Woolfolk stood just off-stage, in case there was any question about removing someone. Rothe-Kushel was first in line and managed to ask Ross a question. After Ross answered, Rothe-Kushel, who was still standing at the microphone at this time, attempted to offer his own response to Ross. A private security guard grabbed Rothe-Kushel, who asked the guard not to touch him, before being grabbed more aggressively. At this point, one of the off-duty police officers came over, and according to Woolfolk three different individuals were grabbing Rothe-Kushel. Woolfolk walked over, and with his hands at his sides, stood between the security detail and Rothe-Kushel. He told the security detail that he was director of programming for the library and that Rothe-Kushel had indicated that the would leave voluntarily if asked to. The security detail let go of Rothe-Kushel and he left.
Woolfolk, from past experiences with off duty police, knew that the only thing they could arrest Rothe-Kushel for was trespassing. Woolfolk wanted to make clear that this was a public event at a public library and thus Rothe-Kushel was not trespassing. He went to find his supervisor, but before he could do so Woolfolk says an off-duty and out of uniform police officer grabbed him from behind and threw him against a pillar. Per Woolfolk, the officer never announced who he was or told Woolfolk he was under arrest, but just kept telling him to “stop resisting.” As Woolfolk told the Dissent NewsWire, he informed the officer, “I’d be happy to do whatever he wanted, and that all I was resisting was the urge to fall face first onto the floor.” According to Woolfolk, a second police officer, this one in uniform, delivered several blows to Woolfolk’s knee, causing him to be diagnosed with grade 1 torn MCL. Eventually he was thrown over a chair and handcuffed. When he asked what he was being arrested for, the officer told him he didn’t know.
Woolfolk stands charged with interfering with the arrest of Rothe-Kushel. Rothe-Kushel, like Woolfolk feared, was charged with trespassing and resisting arrest. “Nobody, be it an individual or an agent of the state, should be able to take it upon themselves to silence a point of view simply because they disagree,” Woolfolk informed the Dissent NewsWire. Yet, it would appear that not only is that exactly what happened, but a librarian who tried to make sure that a public library remained a public forum was arrested, as well.
* "Kansas City library officials defend employee arrested during public event" (2016-09-30, kansascity.com) [archive.is/htuap]
The recently enacted law that the State of California shall not engage in business with a company that engages in the practice of boycotting another state based on concerns for human rights disregards the actions of those states being targeted for boycotts. For example, Saudi Arabia, a USA Strategic Partner, is the target of an extensive though unpublicized boycott in regards to its human rights abuses being anti-ethical to all human rights conventions...
The various Strategic Partnerships engaged by the USA with tyrannical states across the world allows these states to engage in espionage against critics though these critics reside in the USA homeland!
from the Committee to
FREE 'EM ALL!
End the Drug War! Stop Jim Crow! Close the Torture Chambers! [solitarywatch.com] [facebook.com/incarceratedworkers] [supportprisonerresistance.noblogs.org] [denverabc.wordpress.com] [prisonlegalnews.org] [prisonbooks.info] [nycabc.wordpress.com] [powmedicaljustice.com] [sacprisonersupport.wordpress.com]. Become a Human Rights Pen Pal! [link].
* "Solidarity From Solitary: The National Prison Strike" (2016-09-29, democracynow.org) [archive.is/6x2lQ]
* "The Largest Prison Strike in History Is Being Ignored By Major Media; Did You Know We Are Having the Largest Prison Strike in History? Probably Not, Because Most of the Media Have Ignored; It The prison strike didn’t merit a single mention in NYT, Washington Post, NPR, CNN or MSNBC" (2016-09-26, countercurrentnews.com) [archive.is/zjlNh]
* "Your tax dollars make America a nation of 8 million slaves" (2016-09-26, by Keith ‘Malik’ Washington, leading member of the New Afrikan Black Panther Party – Prison Chapter, via sfbayview.com) [archive.is/IOFv6]: Slavery has not been abolished in the United States of America. We call this the land of the free, but it is presently home to 2 million active slaves and approximately 6 million documented as slaves for future use. You ask how the land of the free can be home to some 8 million slaves and why Americans know nothing about it?
The answer is that Congress enacted the 13th Amendment in 1865, two years after the Emancipation Proclamation. It abolished slavery throughout the country but it allows all states to enslave all persons convicted of a crime. This amendment gave the government the right to make slaves of your loved ones.
Slavery is hidden behind the prison walls. Men are beaten and killed, women are molested, abused and raped, and juvenile girls and boys are assaulted, sexually abused and treated in ways too horrible to say. It is time we woke up and faced the truth about the immorality of this country – true corruption.
Slave sweatshops have been erected throughout the Texas penal systems. Prisoners are forced to work in these unsafe and health hazard environments to enrich the Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) and its agents.
These sweatshops are destroying the economy, businesses and raising the rate of unemployment to record levels. Note that taxpayers’ dollars and federal funding are not utilized to upkeep the prison system.
Conviction and sentence -
The public is not aware that their loves are literally serving, in some cases, decades beyond their court imposed prison sentence – enslaved all that time. The facts are:
- Congress and its agencies are grossing over $2 billion annually from prisoners’ slave-labor work products.
- Slavery in this country was never abolished, just redirected and hidden behind prison walls.
- State legislatures enact laws against crimes, but restitution is paid to the states and not the victims.
- The Model Penal Code does not have laws of compassion. Thus, a citizen can be convicted against the victim’s wishes and punished against the victim’s desires.
- Whether in physical custody – imprisoned – or out of physical custody – paroled – the convicted person remains at all times in the LEGAL CUSTODY of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. That means if your loved one was sentenced to 10 years in TDCJ and was paroled after serving four calendar years, did five years on parole and revoked the parole without a new conviction, they must do six calendar years to complete their sentence. Your loved one, in this case, was sentenced to 10 years but remains in the legal custody of TDCJ for 15 years.
- TDCJ is garnishing any money families send for their loved one to have hygiene and some nutritional substances lacking in prison. TDCJ is stealing prisoners’ gifts for their financial gain.
- Your loved ones are being charged $100 annually for medical care – medical care already paid for by your taxpayer dollars. Courts are garnishing prisoners’ gifts, forcing them to pay for their own conviction. America forces SLAVES to pay for their own conviction and medical care. The wealthiest country in the world is robbing slaves.
- The living conditions are so bad: It’s like living in hellfire during the summer and the North Pole during the winter. The units are infested with roaches, rats, insects, bugs, snakes, frogs, and every kind of varmint. The living conditions and medical care are so bad some inmates would rather die by suicide than keep living when the daily suffering becomes intolerable with no near relief in sight.
This corruption and more is happening in your back yard. You have purchased slave products, and by doing so, you are causing your own economic demise. Your tax dollars make America a nation of 8 million slaves.
How can we Americans serve as a model for other countries, if we are the worst of the worst. The only difference is the other countries are forthcoming in their actions. America hides its evil deeds, making it the worst kind of satan. The tough-on-crime laws were meant to create a slave market, not to deter crime.
Along with the $30,000 per inmate that incarceration takes out of your tax dollars, federal funding and the $2 billion annually that politicians and private investors receive to enrich themselves makes this incarceration nation the biggest slave trade organization ever. Tough-on-crime laws are not a campaign for the safety of the people but for self-enrichment. This is why hundreds of laws are enacted annually: TO PRODUCE MORE CRIMINALS!
Wake up, America! Your citizens are dying daily in slavery and you are financing their demise. It is time you take a look over the walls of corruption because your loved one is a true American slave just like during the slavery days of old.
We live to fight: Chief spokesperson for ending prison slavery in Texas placed in long-term solitary confinement -
On Sept. 15, 2016, I was escorted to the Security Threat Group Office at the H.H. Coffield Unit and informed by TDCJ Sgt. Robert Walker that I was being classified as a leading member of an organization determined to be a security threat. I was told that high-ranking prison officials in Texas wanted me placed in long-term solitary confinement, better known as administrative segregation. This step was taken in response to my peaceful organizing of prisoners for the Sept. 9 National Prison Work Stoppage.
However, I am sad to report that my work in Coffield Unit was sabotaged. Approximately three weeks earlier, a member of the Islamic community in Coffield who had never posted anything about the Sept. 9 work stoppage posted a threatening message concerning the strike. I was not informed nor did I have any input about the message; I was totally blind-sided.
Prison officials on the unit, including Lt. G. Richards, were well aware that I have never promoted violence in my education and organizing efforts. Nevertheless, in a blatant act of sinister deception, Lt. Richards wrote a major disciplinary infraction against me, charging me with responsibility for the threatening message!
Sisters and Brothers, I tell you I have never threatened the people or the prison guards with violence – never! I have always operated by the philosophy that violence would be counterproductive to our efforts. And I must tell you that prior to the posting of this volatile message by one of my own “Muslim Brothers,” my organizing efforts here on Coffield Unit were going great!
Please know that, behind the scenes, some horrible deals are being made between “the oppressor” and brainwashed members of the oppressed, seeking to actively harm leaders of this movement.
To abolish prison slavery – and one day to abolish prisons altogether – is a daunting task. Capitalists who operate prisons in Amerika feel very threatened by the media attention and strong show of solidarity by prisoners and their supporters.
It is only natural for prison officials and law enforcement agencies in the United States to go after organizers such as Imam Siddique Abdullah Hasan and Sean Swain of the Free Ohio Movement. We must seek to protect Kinetik Justice of the Free Alabama Movement. We must not allow the capitalist oppressors to hijack our movement.
Please continue to amplify my voice and the voices of all the members of the Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee. Dare to struggle, dare to win! All power to the people!
Photo caption: Prisoners – slave laborers – pause for a moment from their back-breaking work in a hot Texas field.
Photo caption: Activists hold a banner while protesting at Texas Correctional Industries’ showroom in south Austin, Texas, in solidarity with the National Prison Strike on Sept. 9, 2016.
* "Nationwide prison strike enters second week" [youtube.com/watch?v=_kgPXo9_iA8]
* "Prison paradox: Texas jail authorities ban 15,000 books… but allow Hitler’s ‘Mein Kampf’ " (2016-09-29, rt.com) [archive.is/GTjnd]
Charlo Green [archive.is/Pt3fk] -
* "Alaska Reporter Who Quit on the Air to Promote Weed Legalization Faces Decades in Prison; Charlo Greene, a former reporter for news station KTVA in Alaska, quit in epic fashion in 2014 to fight for something in which she believed. However, her life has taken an unexpected and unfortunate turn" (2016-09-30, theroot.com) [archive.is/3SehP]
* "Reporter Who Said "F*ck It" and Quit on Live TV Faces Up to 24 Years in Prison ; 'It could literally cost me the rest of my adult life' " (2016-09-29, cosmopolitan.com) [archive.is/wBMga]
* "Ex-Bush Official: Many at Guantanamo Bay Are Innocent" (2009-03-19, foxnews.com) [archive.is/Y3qmH]
* "Ex-Bush Official Willing to Testify Bush, Cheney Knew Gitmo Prisoners Innocent" (2010-04-08, truth-out.org) [archive.is/zzTmW]
* "Former State Department Official: Team Bush Knew Many at Gitmo Were Innocent; Don't reassess W.'s legacy without remembering the grave charges levied against him" (2013-04-26, theatlantic.com) [is.gd/hpBlcy]
* "SUPPORT NICOLE AND JOSEPH: Indicted under the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act" [supportnicoleandjoseph.com] [facebook.com/supportnicoleandjoseph], website archive (2016-01 to 2016-09) [archive.is/F419y]
* Support Nichole and Jospeh, intro (.pdf) [is.gd/PxQGNv]
Joseph's mail is still on a delay, but he really appreciates getting letters and postcards on the days that mail finally makes it to him. So please take a moment to write him a supportive note and drop it in the mail to him:
Joseph Buddenberg #12746-111
3901 Klein Blvd
Lompoc, CA 93436
* Support Nicole (retrieved 2016-10-06, supportnicole.com) [archive.is/v0kvj]
* "Court Support for Nicole"
Friday, October 14 at 10 AM - 1 PM
at the U.S. District Court Southern District of California San Diego, California 92101
The Case of the AETA 4 political prisoners (2009 to 2010):
* "An Introductory 101: Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act (AETA)" (2010-01-18)
* "Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act 4 Update" (2009-04-28, anarchistnews.org) [archive.is/8s1c3] [begin excerpt]: On February 20, 2009, Joseph Buddenberg, Maryam Khajavi, Nathan Pope, and Adriana Stumpo were arrested by the FBI on terrorism charges. These four were indicted and are now facing a two-count indictment of conspiracy and Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act violations. Their alleged crimes are attending residential demonstrations, wearing bandannas at protests, and chalking on sidewalks. They each face a maximum of ten years in prison for their "crimes." [...] The FBI has stated to the press that they wish to make an example out of the defendants.
* Adapted from "Sweet Justice for the AETA4!" fundraiser announcement (2009-08-28) [archive.is/cWokb] [begin excerpt]: The AETA 4 are four Bay Area individuals who have been accused of violating the “Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act.” They were arrested, in the very first use of this sweeping law, for activity like “chalking defamatory slogans,” creating fliers, and protesting while wearing masks. The AETA4 – Adriana Stumpo, Nathan Pope, Joseph Buddenberg, and Maryam Khajavi – are facing federal charges under the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act (AETA) for allegedly having “demonstrated outside the private residences of several University of California Berkeley researchers” and of having “marched, chanted, and chalked defamatory comments on the public sidewalks in front of the residences.” The FBI also claims that some of the defendants produced and/or distributed flyers containing the home addresses of vivisectors. [end excerpt]
* "FBI Don't Like Free Speech (Support the AETA 4)" (2009-06-14, Media for Animal Liberation) [youtube.com/watch?v=haX8GcnpohI]:
Most news media mostly do the five things:
1) Rephrase press releases by corporations and government officials.
2) Add surface-level facts.
3) Assume sourcing from only corporate or government sources is necessary.
4) Assume that corporate or government sources are credible.
This video aims to clear up these errors, mistakes, and oversights. This video also aims to send a message of our own against the legal and extralegal measures taken against animal rights and environmental activism. Resistance against injustice is fertile.
Join the Coalition to Abolish the AETA
* "Joseph of AETA4 court support in Oakland in Oakland" call for solidarity [archive.is/e1Ilz] [begin excerpt]: In July '08 there was an alleged trespass at the home of UC Berkeley vivisector Frederic Theunissen. Joseph is being blamed for this. The DA's office has clearly been in touch with the FBI and are insistent on taking this weak case (based fully on a blurry surveillance photograph) to trial. [end excerpt]
* "AETA4 Indictment Dismissed, but Re-indictment possible; AETA4 case dismissed without prejudice - meaning the government can re-indict if they wish" (2010-07-12, via portland.indymedia.org) [archive.is/tVHzD]: A U.S. District Court has thrown out the indictment of four animal rights activists who were charged with violating the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act, because the government did not clearly explain what, exactly, the protesters did.
When Joseph Buddenberg, Maryam Khajavi, Nathan Pope and Adriana Stumpo were arrested in 2009, prosecutors said little other than that the group allegedly chalked slogans on the sidewalk, distributed fliers and attended protests. Later, when they were officially indicted, the government was still tight-lipped about how their non-violent, above-ground protests amounted to "terrorism."
In response, the Center for Constitutional Rights and attorney Matthew Strugar led an effort to have the indictments dismissed. In short, they argued that the charges should be dropped because they seem to involve only protected First Amendment speech, but that in order to make that argument the defendants' speech must be clearly identified.
Here's an excerpt from Judge Ronald M. Whyte's ruling:
"In order for an indictment to fulfill its constitutional purposes, it must allege facts that sufficiently inform each defendant of what it is that he or she is alleged to have done that constitutes a crime. This is particularly important where the species of behavior in question spans a wide spectrum from criminal conduct to constitutionally protected political protest. While "true threats" enjoy no First Amendment protection, picketing and political protest are at the very core of what is protected by the First Amendment. Where the defendants' conduct falls on this spectrum in this case will very likely ultimately be decided by a jury. Before this case proceeds to a jury, however, the defendants are entitled to a more specific indictment setting forth their conduct alleged to be criminal."
As background, a fierce campaign has been being waged in California against animal research at the University of California system. There has been a wide range of both legal and illegal tactics. Illegal tactics have included the destruction of UC vans, and an incendiary device was left at the home of a UC researcher.
The FBI and local law enforcement haven't been able to catch the people responsible, though. They've only cracked down on the above-ground activists, like the AETA 4, who protest and create fliers.
The previous version of the law was used to convict the SHAC 7 for running a controversial website that posted news of both legal and illegal actions. This case, the first use of the new Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act, was clearly an attempt to use this sweeping legislation even more broadly against First Amendment activity. This ruling sternly rebukes the government's attempt to take activists to trial for "terrorism" without even explaining what they have done.
To be clear, though, this case is not over. The government can still re-indict the defendants with an amended bill of particulars that clearly outlines their alleged actions.
This is a victory worth celebrating, and it should also be inspiration for renewed organizing. Corporations and the politicians who represent them have been pushing this "eco-terrorism" and "animal enterprise terrorism" legislation for years, and they will not sit quietly as the flagship case of their pet scare-mongering law is tossed aside.
If prosecutors choose to re-indict, it should be at their own peril; the animal rights and environmental movements must be ready to respond even more loudly, more forcefully, that activism is not terrorism.
* "Interview with Joseph Buddenberg of the AETA 4" intro (2010-09-03, via indybay.org) [archive.is/PBOBh] [begin excerpt]: Although the case was dismissed in July, it is not over. A federal magistrate signed a warrant in August ordering Joseph to provide a DNA sample to the FBI [archive.is/tEoqw]. In the interview, Joseph discusses the AETA 4 case and its implications for activists.
Joseph states, "I appeared before Magistrate Vadas, UC Santa Cruz graduate, and he scolded me. He yelled that the three allegations against me at that point were some of the most 'chilling' accusations he'd ever seen. The allegations at that point were attendance at two demonstrations and that I somehow helped make leaflets opposing UC Santa Cruz vivisection. Keep in mind this is a federal judge and former prosecutor who has dealt with child pornographers, meth dealers, bank robbers, etc." [end excerpt]
* "Interview with Joseph Buddenberg of the AETA 4" (2010-09-03, via indybay.org) [archive.is/FU8qG] [begin excerpt]:
- [Question]: Back in 2009 after arrests were made the Santa Cruz Police Chief Howard Skerry immediately went on record as saying, “A lot of cases are very complex. We don’t give up on the cases. If it takes years, it takes years.” Since the Government has had such a hard stance on this case, were you surprised that a lot of people saw the ruling on July 12th as an indication of this all “being over?”
- [Answer]: [...] I knew that it would be an uphill battle and that judges weren’t my friends at my initial hearing on February 20, 2009. I was arrested at the Alameda County courthouse by a half-dozen FBI agents, members of the Joint Terrorism Task Force, and UC police as I appeared at a hearing contesting a restraining order. I was taken to the San Francisco federal building and booked. I appeared before Magistrate Vadas, UC Santa Cruz graduate, and he scolded me. He yelled that the three allegations against me at that point were some of the most “chilling” accusations he’d ever seen. The allegations at that point were attendance at two demonstrations and that I somehow helped make leaflets opposing UC Santa Cruz vivisection. Keep in mind this is a federal judge and former prosecutor who has dealt with child pornographers, meth dealers, bank robbers, etc. I was placed in a halfway house at the prosecutors request and spent the next month there. Upon my release, I was on house arrest for six months.
The FBI definitely utilized the press to their advantage and sent the message that this case was a high priority. Within hours of my arrest, the FBI had formulated a very-scary sounding press release. Our pictures were on every local TV news station that night, complete with reporters talking of “attacks” and four “extremists.” FBI spokesperson Joseph Schadler made the rounds, and the Santa Cruz Sentinel had a field day.
This is not over. Last week, a federal magistrate signed a warrant ordering me to provide a DNA sample to the FBI. The FBI agent’s affidavit cites an ongoing investigation into violations of AETA, as well as conspiracy. The same laws for which I was indicted. Through the DNA sample, they hope to prove that my DNA is present on a particular megaphone seized from my co-defendant Maryam’s vehicle back in 2008. My attorneys have been told that the prosecutors will get in touch with them regarding case status by mid-September.
- [Question]: Glenn Beck recently held a march on Washington, and like previous right wing marches on Washington (since Barack Obama’s presidency) hundreds of people in the crowd used the threat and intimidation of violence in their chant and signs. “We Came Unarmed THIS Time,” “It’s Not Time To Regroup, It’s Time to Reload,” etc. Do you think events like this help expose the irony and prejudice of the AETA ?
- [Answer]: Absolutely. This is actually a tremendous outreach tool for those working to overturn designer statutes like AETA. It’s been said so many times and it’s a cliche at this point that the FBI and police agencies value the status quo and the protection of contested industries “right” to profit over life itself. You can be arrested for vicious animal abuse at a dairy farm and face misdemeanor charges, as happened in Ohio recently. And if you tried to shut the criminal farm down, you’d risk facing charges under AETA.
The law, especially when aimed at political movements, is never fair or just. It’s been this way for decades. They don’t go after right-wing terrorists who have a history of murder because they aren’t a threat to their agenda. They actively serve their agenda. This is a simple message that the public easily understands. Despite the FBI’s attempts, no one other than the animal abusers themselves believe that the non-violent animal rights movement should be more of a funding priority or that we’re more of a domestic threat than violent white supremacists, anti-abortion murderers, or child pornographers. The Black Panthers, the American Indian Movement, the Puerto Rican Independence movement, Earth First!, and now the animal rights movement. We’re in good company. I believe we could learn a lot of inspiration and courage from these past and present liberation struggles. The small-scale repression aimed at a very small number of animal rights activists in the U.S., though serious, does not compare to the deceit, brutality, false imprisonment, and murder that the FBI leveled against the anti-racist and social justice struggles of the 1960’s and 70’s. Let’s keep this in perspective and keep the focus on the animals whose lives literally hang in the balance. [end excerpt]
* "Over fourteen weeks after dismissal, still no word on AETA4 case" (2010-10-22, by AETA4 Support, via indybay.org) [archive.is/8bH3W]: As of this posting, the AETA4 legal team have still not received word from the government. It has now been over fourteen weeks since Judge Whyte’s dismissal without prejudice, and exactly eight weeks since FBI agents took a sample of Joseph’s DNA in an attempt to prove that his DNA is present on a particular megaphone allegedly seized from Maryam's vehicle back in 2008.
The AETA4 were arrested on February 20, 2009 and accused of Animal Enterprise Terrroism. They each faced a maximum of five years in prison. The accusations were that they participated in home demonstrations, created flyers, and chalked sidewalks to oppose the University of California's animal vivisection.
One attorney's opinion is that the government could have until the end of the statute of limitations, sometime in 2013, to re-indict the individuals. It's unclear if a judge would let this kind of delay fly.
What is going on within the Department of Justice and FBI is anybody’s guess. However, the AETA4 case should NOT be regarded as closed. This case still needs our help, support, and continued fund-raising efforts in the chance that they are re-indicted.
* "JOSEPH BUDDENBERG OF THE AETA 4 ARRESTED IN SANTA CRUZ" (2011-09-05, animalliberationfrontline.com) [archive.is/gBW0V]
* "HEARING UPDATE: JOSEPH SENTENCED TO 2 YEARS IN PRISON" (2016-05-02, supportnicoleandjoseph.com) [archive.is/Jc1bD] [begin excerpt]: “Today’s sentencing must be understood in the context of the complete illegitimacy of the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act,” said Rachel Meeropol, senior staff attorney at the Center for Constitutional Rights, and the lead lawyer on several constitutional challenges to the law. “This is a law bought and paid for by corporations that profit from the exploitation of animals, in the service of nothing but their own bottom line. Prosecuting non-violent liberation of animals as ‘terrorism’ is a transparent attempt to silence an entire movement. The AETA violates fundamental constitutional principles of free speech and due process, and we will continue to challenge it wherever it is used. ” [end excerpt]
* "One of the ‘AETA 4’ Sentenced to Two Years in Prison" (2016-05-18, nabr.org) [archive.is/PLIj9]
* Archive for (supportbjandalex.com), 2009-03 through 2010-04 [archive.is/XxjJ5], about the case [archive.is/kr6wf]: William "BJ" Viehl and Alex Hall were arrested Thursday March 5th by the Joint Terrorism Task Force with the FBI. They were indicted by a grand jury for "suspicion" of a raid at a South Jordan, UT, mink farm in August. As well as "suspicion" of an attempted raid at a second mink farm in October. They are being charged with 2 counts of violating the "Animals Enterprise Terrorism Act". With these charges they face a possible 6 years in prison and $350,000 in fines. Please show your support to these activists. There trial was originally set for May 11th 12th and 13th, But was quickly canceled and has not yet been officially rescheduled. We will keep you informed. Please donate. And thank you for your support.
- About William "BJ" Viehl [archive.is/qH4Ap]
- About Alex Hall [archive.is/g1opO]
- About Jordan Halliday [archive.is/meHth]: Why is Jordan in jail? This particular grand jury was allegedly established for the purpose of investigating mink releases in Utah. However, the questions asked of Jordan went far beyond inquests on criminal activity. The prosecution is clearly using the grand jury as a fishing expedition to investigate the activities of animal rights activists generally. These tactics are employed to chill free speech activities and intimidate people from standing up for the rights of themselves and animals. Jordan is making a commendable principled stand for his refusal to cooperate with this abridgment of rights. He has committed absolutely no violation of law and is NOT considered a suspect in the mink release or any other illegal activity. He is being held in contempt simply because he refuses to acquiesce to the abridgment of his First and Fifth Amendment rights.
THE MEDICAL INDUSTRY IS FOR LIFE, NOT FOR PROFIT!
* "Finding Good Pain Treatment Is Hard. If You’re Not White, It’s Even Harder" (2016-08-09, nytimes.com) [archive.is/6xdCR]
* "An Alternative Form of Mental Health Care Gains a Foothold" (2016-08-08, nytimes.com) [archive.is/Fbmzk] [begin excerpt]: At a time when Congress is debating measures to extend the reach of mainstream psychiatry — particularly to the severely psychotic, who often end up in prison or homeless — an alternative kind of mental health care is taking root that is very much anti-mainstream. It is largely nonmedical, focused on holistic recovery rather than symptom treatment, and increasingly accessible through an assortment of in-home services, residential centers and groups like the voices network Ms. White turned to, in which members help one another understand each voice, as a metaphor, rather than try to extinguish it.
For the first time in this country, experts say, psychiatry’s critics are mounting a sustained, broadly based effort to provide people with practical options, rather than solely alleging abuses like overmedication and involuntary restraint. [end excerpt]
articles recommended by the
SAN PABLO BAY ECOLOGICAL PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION
Campaigns, info, and more [SanPabloBayEPA.blogspot.com]. Science [discardstudies.com]. [blog.savesfbay.org]
* "Twin Tunnels Threaten the Bay" (2016-04, baykeeper.org) [archive.is/hgQnO] [begin excerpt]: Should local salmon be pushed to extinction? Should some Bay Area residents pay much higher water bills? Should San Francisco Bay be contaminated with toxic pollutants?
My guess is that Bay Area readers would answer these questions with a resounding “no,” but these scenarios will become reality if the two 30-mile water tunnels proposed by Governor Jerry Brown are built.
The tunnels have a new name since they were first proposed in 2012: the California Water Fix. These massive tunnels would divert more fresh water from the Sacramento River for transport to the Central Valley and southern California, mostly to be used to grow crops for export. But even under the new name, they would still cause major harm to San Francisco Bay, and to the recreation, jobs and wildlife that depend on a healthy Bay. [end excerpt]
* "SONOMA CO. RESIDENTS RAISE CONCERNS OVER HAZARDOUS MATERIALS STORED IN TRAINS" (2016-10-04, abc7news.com) [archive.is/aTtnX]
Posted to Phillips 66 Spill Vallejo [facebook.com/groups/303126756731690]:
* "Phillips 66 Refinery in Rodeo Reopens Marine Terminal as Oil Spill Investigation Continues" (2016-09-28, kqed.org) [archive.is/giR0R], comment: Highlights the delay in notification, understates the count of those who went to the hospital.
* "Local Air Regulators Investigating Three Separate Recent Refinery Problems" (2016-06-30, kqed.org) [archive.is/AXnJd]:
Bay Area air regulators are looking into several recent malfunctions at Chevron’s Richmond refinery, Valero’s Benicia facility and the Phillips 66 plant in Rodeo that led each facility to send flares into the sky.
All three companies, though, are releasing little information about what caused the problems.
The most recent plant upset took place at the Phillips 66 refinery on Tuesday evening.
One of the facility’s cooling devices shut down at 6:20 p.m., prompting flaring that sent sulfur dioxide into the air, according to Randy Sawyer, Contra Costa County’s chief environmental health and hazardous materials officer.
Sawyer said that one of the water pumps that cools gases as they travel through part of the refinery malfunctioned. Initially, it was thought that one of the plant’s entire units had shut down.
The county determined that the incident did not have an “adverse acute impact on the health and safety of the community,” said Sawyer.
The flaring lasted for more than three hours, according to Ralph Borrmann, a spokesman at the Bay Area Air Quality Management District.
Paul Adler, a Phillips spokesman, confirmed that refinery operations were back to normal but offered no other details.
Last Friday afternoon there was a problem at the Valero refinery in Benicia, prompting the facility to send out flares for at least the next 63 hours.
The “unscheduled flaring” released more than 500 pounds of sulfur dioxide into the air, according to a report the company filed with the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services.
The company will not answer any questions about the incident.
“It is Valero’s policy to not comment on operations or possible outages beyond what is already publicly reported,” said Lillian Riojas, a company representative.
Flaring is a practice that allows the refinery to relieve stress from inside the facility.
In the recent Valero incident, it’s unclear how long it lasted.
Josh Chadwick, division chief at the Benicia Fire Department, says the flames stopped shooting out from the refinery at 7 a.m. on Monday.
But Borrmann, the air district spokesman, says flares continued intermittently until just before midnight on Wednesday.
That afternoon, Solano County’s Department of Human Resources learned that the operation ended, said Matthew Geisert, a hazardous materials specialist with the agency.
Geisert says his department has no other details about the incident.
That lack of information frustrates local activists who have called for tighter emissions regulations for the region’s refineries.
“What we don’t know is killing us,” said Andres Soto with Communities for a Better Environment. “It’s a deliberate policy strategy to keep the media and the public ignorant of what is going on with these dangerous chemical processes at the refinery.”
A malfunction at a processing unit at Chevron’s Richmond refinery led to flaring for several hours on June 19.
Contra Costa County health officials say the county’s dispatch center got lots of calls from concerned residents, but they didn’t feel the incident was severe enough to issue any serious warnings about it.
Contra Costa , unlike neighboring Solano County, does require more information from a refinery after certain flaring operations.
Chevron filed a 72-hour report with the county’s hazardous materials program that revealed the incident was prompted by a compressor in a processing unit tripping offline. The chemicals released during that operation did not rise above state standards, the report found.
But the company will not release more information.
“I can’t share any more detail than what we’ve provided in the county report,” said Chevron spokeswoman Leah Casey.
On March 29, Chevron’s Richmond refinery had a similar issue that caused flaring. In that incident, residents throughout the region complained of a bad odor. The upset sent sulfur dioxide and hydrogen sulfide into the air.
In the hours after the flaring took place, Chevron did not admit its refinery had a malfunction, other than to say that flaring is an important part of keeping the refinery running safely.
That prompted Sawyer to call on the company to do a better job of telling the public about problems at its local refinery.
“Chevron should be open and say they did have a problem and they’re looking at it and they’re going to investigate it and see what the problem was,” Sawyer said then.
The company said it shared with the public what it felt was important information at the time and eventually filed a report that showed one of the refinery’s monitoring devices had failed.
The air district is investigating all four incidents.
* " 'Clean Coal' is a Dirty Lie; Can 10 million tons of Utah coal per year be brought by train through the Bay Area and shipped from Oakland to Asia, without polluting neighborhoods and San Francisco Bay? Can such a scheme cut down on pollution in Beijing and even help reduce worldwide carbon emissions? The developers of a bulk shipping terminal in Oakland claim it can be done. Sadly, this is a lie" (2016-05, baycrossings.com) [archive.is/4RCz1]
... and a rebuttal from an industry advocate [archive.is/T8hoJ]
* "Protect the West From a Black-Gold Rush" (2016-08-05, nytimes.com) [archive.is/ok4Od]
* "Judge blocks Central California oil development over fracking" (2016-09-07, sfgate.com) [archive.is/wppiv]
* "Native Americans Document HUNDREDS of Pipeline Leaks and Oil Spills Kept Secret by North Dakota Government" (2016-09-14, countercurrentnews.com) [archive.is/K5N6y]
* "Udall Warns Against Proposed Estonian Oil Shale Development Project in Utah" (2016-08-17, inewsnetwork.org) [archive.is/LS5cb]
* "Oil Shale Extraction: Worse Than Fracking, and Estonian Company Wants to Do It in Utah Desert" (2016-08-22, indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com) [archive.is/A9J0T]
* "2 Pipeline Companies, Enbridge and Spectra Energy, to Merge" (2016-09-06, nytimes.com) [archive.is/9T3Ve]
The following messages provide examples of the progress made in the campaign to restore and revive amphibian populations worldwide through SAVE THE FROGS! [savethefrogs.com].
* "Help us build wetlands in California – and join us for other frog saving events" (2016-09-28, Michael Starkey, savethefrogs.com):
Join SAVE THE FROGS! Wetland Coordinator and Ecologist Kathlyn Franco on Tuesday, October 4th 2016 to build a wetland for endangered California Red-Legged Frogs in Eldorado National Forest! Amphibian populations have been rapidly disappearing worldwide and nearly one-third of the world's amphibian species are on the verge of extinction. Habitat destruction is the number one cause of amphibian population declines worldwide and the majority of America's wetlands have been destroyed or modified. To remedy this problem, SAVE THE FROGS! is Re-Frogging America by constructing actual wetlands for frogs and other wildlife [savethefrogs.com/ponds/wetlands.html]. Constructing wetlands is a fantastic method of educating students, teachers and community members about amphibians and ensuring that amphibians have a home in which to live and breed. Now you have the opportunity to help us build a wetland in California!
SAVE THE FROGS! Wetland Coordinator Kathlyn Franco will be building wetlands with the US Forest Service and wetland volunteers next week!
Do you want to help SAVE THE FROGS! build a wetland?
SAVE THE FROGS! is helping the U.S. Forest Service construct a wetland for the threatened California Red-legged frog (our official state amphibian: Rana draytonii) on October 3rd and 4th. We are happy to announce that we have a few spots available on October 4th to teach you how to build a wetland and help grow the California Red-legged frog population in Eldorado National Forest. Participation is free, but donations are encouraged. The closest town to our wetland construction site is Auburn, CA. If you live in the area or are interested in attending, please contact Kathlyn Franco no later than October 2nd at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be sure to join SAVE THE FROGS! at these other frog-saving events!
September 30th, 2016: Chiana, Ghana
SAVE THE FROGS! biologists Dr. Kerry Kriger, Sandra Owusu-Gyamfi and Michael Starkey will be leading a SAVE THE FROGS! event in northern Ghana to raise awareness of the threats to frogs in the region. Activities will include a parade, presentations and a soccer match with the one and only SAVE THE FROGS! Football Team. Let us know if you wish to attend!
- October 5th, 2016: Lleida, Spain [archive.is/6iaRN]: SAVE THE FROGS! Founder Dr. Kerry Kriger will be giving two presentations at the Iberian Congress of Herpetology in Lleida, Spain on October 5th, 2016. One presentation will be about the SAVE THE FROGS! Ghana Expedition [savethefrogs.com/ghana2016] and our efforts to protect the endangered Giant Squeaker Frogs and Togo Slippery Frogs. The other presentation will be about SAVE THE FROGS! past successes, current programs, and future challenges and opportunities. You can learn more about the three day conference and register to attend here [archive.is/ivnVL]. Nos vemos este Octubre! SALVA LAS RANAS!
Photo: Photo of Alytes obstetricans courtesy Ursina Tobler.
- October 7th, 2016: Sacramento, CA: SAVE THE FROGS! International Campaigns Coordinator Michael Starkey, will give a presentation about the amphibian extinction crisis and the work of SAVE THE FROGS! to the Northern California Herpetological Society. This event will be held at the Arden Manor Recreational Center (1415 Rushden Dr., Sacramento, CA 95864) and will start at 7 PM.
- October 8th, 2016: San Francisco, CA [archive.is/4cQQp]: Join SAVE THE FROGS! at the Wildlife Conservation Network Expo in San Francisco! Come hear stories from the field about the excellent work being done by conservationists all around the world to save species. Meet the conservationists and learn what you can do to help! We will have a table at the Expo, so please come out and support amphibian conservation efforts! Tickets are going fast so get them while you can! For more information, please visit here.
- October 9th, 2016: Sacramento, CA: SAVE THE FROGS! will hold an informational table at Effie Yeaw’s Nature Fest! This event will go from 10 AM to 3 PM and is located in Ancil Hoffman Park in Carmichael. Come out and learn about frogs, make frog art, and support our efforts around the world! This event is open to the public, adult entrance fee is $5 and children are free! For more information, please visit: [www.sacnaturecenter.net].
Thank you for your support and I hope you can join us at one of these amazing frog-saving events!
Sincerely, Michael Starkey, SAVE THE FROGS! International Campaigns Coordinator, Ecologist [savethefrogs2.com/michael-starkey].
SAVE THE FROGS! is the world's leading amphibian conservation organization. We work in California, across the USA, and around the world to prevent the extinction of amphibians, and to create a better planet for humans and wildlife. Frogs are the most threatened group of animals on the planet: nearly 2,000 of the world's amphibian species are threatened with extinction and up to 200 species have entirely disappeared in recent decades. Your financial contributions to SAVE THE FROGS! are tax-deductible and enable us to spread amphibian awareness, campaign for threatened amphibians and train the next generation of amphibian conservationists. Please donate, become a member, help us fundraise, and forward this email to your friends and colleagues to help spread the word. Thank you! You can write to us at SAVE THE FROGS!, PO Box 78758, Los Angeles, CA 90016 USA or call us at 415-878-6525.
* "Help Get Atrazine Banned" (2016-09-28, Dr. Kerry Kriger, savethefrogs.com):
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recently released a 520-page document entitled "Refined Ecological Risk Assessment For Atrazine", which details extensive ecological harm caused by Atrazine, one of the world's most commonly used herbicides. In their 520-page report entitled "Refined Ecological Risk Assessment For Atrazine” (.pdf) [is.gd/wLt4ZD], the EPA: “presents the ecological risks posed by the use of the herbicide atrazine. Based on the results from hundreds of toxicity studies on the effects of atrazine on plants and animals...this risk assessment concludes that aquatic plant communities are impacted in many areas where atrazine use is heaviest, and there is potential chronic risk to fish, amphibians, and aquatic invertebrates in these same locations… EPA levels of concern for chronic risk are exceeded by as much as 22, 198, and 62 times for birds, mammals, and fish, respectively.”
Do you support the use of pesticides that present potential chronic risk for amphibians? Are you disturbed that the EPA found levels of chronic concern for mammals were exceeded by as much as 198 times? We are mammals, so I'm sure you are at least slightly disturbed, given that Atrazine is the most commonly detected pesticide in U.S. groundwater, rainwater and tapwater, and the USDA detecting atrazine in 94% of American tap water samples.
Urge the EPA to take action on the findings of their Refined Ecological Risk Assessment For Atrazine and place an immediate ban on the use and production of Atrazine.
Here is my Official Comment submitted earlier today to the EPA on behalf of SAVE THE FROGS! (.pdf) [is.gd/wk1ALZ].
Together we can save the frogs, save our water supply and stop endocrine disruptors like Atrazine from being sprayed onto our food.
Atrazine is sold in over 40 countries, including right here in Ghana, where I took this photo two weeks ago. When America bans a pesticide, many other countries follow suit, so please let the EPA know how you feel about Atrazine!
Last week the SAVE THE FROGS! Ghana Expedition team visited the SAVE THE FROGS! Ghana Kwabeng Junior Chapter just below the Atewa Hills, home to the critically endangered Togo Slippery Frogs (Conraua derooi). We educated 125 students and their teachers about amphibians, threats to the Atewa Hills and how to reduce one's environmental impact. We delivered two flags to the school, as well as some laminated slides, stickers and a donation to assist with their chapter's activities. This junior chapter was started by the undergraduates of our SAVE THE FROGS! UCAES Chapter, whose executives we met yesterday. Read more at [savethefrogs.com/ghana] [ghana2016.causevox.com].
SAN PABLO BAY EPA: Health and the Human Ecology
Monopolists enforce a regime that does not recognize the natural right to health and life. Info [detoxproject.org].
* "Pepsi Admits That Aquafina Bottled Water Is Just Tap Water" (2016-10-02, offthegrid.cc) [archive.is/4iOBA]
* "Aquafina to say it comes from same source as tap water" (2007, abcnews.go.com) [archive.is/QM79C]
* Mountain Springs Water Company gets its water from underneath Hunter's Point in San Francisco [archive.is/UB8qZ]
* "UNSAFE AT ANY LEVEL? DANGEROUS CHEMICALS EVERYWHERE" (2016-06-27, whowhatwhy.org) [archive.is/7XlR8] [begin excerpt]: Exposure to BPA in adulthood has numerous effects, including stem cell and sperm cell defects [archive.is/rkdOP], the risk of prostate [archive.is/T5xgg] and breast cancers [is.gd/b9X5Iw], liver tumors [archive.is/Br6Rp], rising blood pressure [archive.is/fZquP], and obesity [archive.is/JNoWX] (Bhan et al., 2014 [archive.is/z6IMm]; Prins 2014 [archive.is/T5xgg]). Fetuses exposed to BPA can develop food intolerance [archive.is/Wjk5h]. Early BPA exposure can lead to delayed effects, including those indicative of altered brain function [archive.is/4EDaP].
These are just a representative handful of harms, drawn from a much larger body of at least 200 publications (some have estimated a thousand publications). The sheer quantity of results represent a massive accumulation of scientific evidence that BPA is harmful [archive.is/RghIc].
Chemical manufacturers have begun removing BPA from their products. Sunoco no longer sells BPA for products that might be used by children under three [archive.is/zvgDE]. France has a national ban on BPA food packaging [archive.is/RxeTN]. The EU has banned BPA from baby bottles [archive.is/4lT6t]. These bans and associated product withdrawals are the result of epic scientific research and some intensive environmental campaigning.
But these restrictions are not victories for human health. Nor are they even losses for the chemical industry.
For one thing, the industry now profits from selling premium-priced BPA-free products. These are usually made with the chemical substitute BPS — which current research suggests is even more of a health hazard than BPA.
But since BPS is far less studied, it will likely take many years to build a sufficient case for a new ban. [end excerpt]
* "United Nations Review Claims Monsanto’s Glyphosate Not Carcinogenic" (2016-05-18, by Derrick Broze) [archive.is/x9Efc]
* "As EU Weighs Approval, More Evidence Industry is Rigging the Glyphosate Game; Suspicious donation from Monsanto emerges after WHO seemingly flipped in its assessment of the dangers posed by the chemical" (2016-05-18, commondreams.org) [archive.is/OjyH5]
* "GMOs Safe to Eat, Says Research Group That Takes Millions From Monsanto; 'We won't have good public policy on new technologies like GMOs until these rampant conflicts of interest are exposed,' says Food & Water Watch" (2016-05-18, commondreams.org) [archive.is/PmdIM]
articles recommended by the
NO NUKES! campaign
[StopNuclearDeath.blogspot.com] [nuclear-news.net] [nukeresister.org] [nukefree.org]; National Radiation Map [radiationnetwork.com], depicting environmental radiation levels across the USA, updated in real time every minute.
* "Pentagon chief calls Russia out over 'nuclear saber-rattling' " (2016-09-26, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/kjNPx]
* "Radiation spike near Hanford nuclear waste site ‘natural’ – EPA" (2016-05-15, rt.com) [archive.is/kd5Uc]
* "Thousands in Eastern Chinese City Protest Nuclear Waste Project" (2016-08-08, nytimes.com) [archive.is/DEvra]
articles recommended by the
SAN PABLO BAY SOVEREIGNTY Think-tank
* "Slovenia declared world’s first green country" (2016-09-28, thesrpskatimes.com) [is.gd/JGe8z9]
NORTHBAY ENTHEOGENIC FREEDOM
* "US Attorney General Finally Admits Marijuana Isn’t A Gateway Drug — Prescription Pills Are" (2016-09-29, by Alice Salles) [archive.is/j8iGE]
* "Here Are All The People Who Have Died From A Marijuana Overdose" (2013-09-03, huffingtonpost.com) [archive.is/lZCKV]
* "Why Marijuana Advocates Are Criticizing Chelsea Clinton; Chelsea Clinton implies marijuana can kill you" (2016-09-29, attn.com) [archive.is/JKNZa]
* "Chelsea Clinton ‘misspoke’ on marijuana risks, spokeswoman says" (2016-09-28, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/3DSCt]
* "Colombia’s New, Legal Drug Barons Focus on Medical Marijuana" (2016-08-04, nytimes.com) [archive.is/1cvO8]
* "Kratom Ban No Longer 9/30: DEA Says Timetable Indefinite" (2016-09-30, by Cassius Kamarampi) [archive.is/GDD3V]
* "Canada Responds to Opiate Epidemic by Legalizing Heroin for Medicinal Use" (2016-09-29, wakingtimes.com) [archive.is/q8cG9] [begin excerpt]: Heroin is evil, and its users deserve compassion, not ridicule or punishment. It’s best not to get hooked on any hard drug, especially if you’re repeatedly told that it’s dangerous and it will kill you, if not make your life hell.
However, not everyone is properly informed about heroin and other dangerous opiates. As we’ll learn, some are led to a heroin addiction after getting hooked on opiates prescribed by a doctor and having nowhere to turn when their prescription runs out.
Whether it’s the rebellious youth or the “ordinary” members of society who discover the drug through dependence on prescription opiates, heroin addiction is affecting an alarming number of people in the U.S. and Canada. [end excerpt]
* "Why I'm Staying in the Psychedelic Closet" (psymposia.com) [is.gd/7UpVSE] [begin excerpt]: Society at large does have to do some soul-searching on psychedelics. In a lot of ways, they are misunderstood and stigmatized, as are the people who use and champion them. It is completely valid that those who have been deeply affected by their psychedelic use and consider it part of their identities can feel suppressed in their ability to freely and openly discuss those experiences. [end excerpt]
ANIMAL RIGHTS: Save the Whales!
* "Most humpback whales removed from endangered list, but threats remain" (2016-09-06, sfgate.com) [archive.is/SUKFM]
* "Humpback whale sightings in bay thrill boaters, alarm biologists" (2016-05-12, sfgate.com) [archive.is/F55s6]
* "Humpback and blue whales feeding in record numbers off SF coast" (2016-05-22, sfgate.com) [archive.is/OJ6C0]
* "Whale-apalooza off SF! Unprecedented numbers of humpbacks Is La Nina driving them close to shore?" (2016-07-05, sfgate.com) [archive.is/RR5E5]
* "Kayakers in SF Bay have close encounter with breaching whales" (2016-07-12, sfgate.com) [archive.is/G8KtN]
UNITED STATES FASCISM WATCH
Documenting the process of fascism and for whom it benefits. [UnitedStatesFascism.blogspot.com] [exposefacts.org]
* "Here’s How The Government Is Turning The Entire United States Into A Debt Prison" (2016-09-29, by Shaun Bradley) [archive.is/A7BV6]
* "States Vie to Shield the Wealth of the 1 Percent" (2016-08-08, nytimes.com) [archive.is/mwea1]
* "Think Tank Scholar or Corporate Consultant? It Depends on the Day Acting as independent arbiters to shape government policy, many researchers also have corporate roles that are sometimes undisclosed" (2016-08-08, nytimes.com) [archive.is/BJ3gD]
* "The ALEC Attack on Solar Power; Net metering is a key to expanding solar electricity. Guess who’s attacking it?" (2016-05-20, foodandwaterwatch.org) [archive.is/PNA1H]
* "Oil CEO Says Bribing Native Americans Will Stop Dakota Protests; The oil CEO's comments ignored some of the fundamental reasons behind ongoing Native American opposition" (2016-09-29, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/vrSV9]
* "Wells Fargo Crooks Stole From Customers, Reaped Obscene Rewards—and Stuck Us With the Bill; Until we start jailing banksters, they’ll keep doing it" (2016-09-29, thenation.com) [archive.is/uUk1j]
* "Sandbagging, cross-selling: Keys to Wells Fargo’s profits" (2016-09-29, peoplesworld.org) [archive.is/gUFHq]
* "Congressional Leaders Fail to Deliver Immediate Funds to Flint Residents; Waiting to approve Flint Water Crisis funds until after the November 8th election will leave Flint residents without any solution" (2016-09-29, commondreams.org) [archive.is/21t7v]
* "Republicans take step toward killing overtime protection expansion" (2016-09-29, peoplesworld.org) [archive.is/23lt3]
* "Wal-Mart Has $76 Billion in Overseas Tax Havens, Report Says" (2015-06-17, bloomberg.com) [archive.is/d1Mv9]
* "Report: Walmart Workers Cost Taxpayers $6.2 Billion In Public Assistance" (2014-04-15, forbes.com) [archive.is/vm6vE]
* "Greedy guzzlers: US gasoline consumption higher than ever" (2016-10-01, rt.com) [archive.is/nFx0H]
USA FASCISM: "Libertarianism & Constitutionalism" to benefit private bureaucracies
[alibertarianfuture.com] [fff.org] [mises.org]
* "Far-right activist, author Phyllis Schlafly dies at 92" (2016-09-05, AP Newswire) [archive.is/eODUl] [begin excerpt]: "I've taught literally millions of people how to participate in self-government," Schlafly said. "I think I've built a wonderful organization of volunteers, mostly women but some men, willing to spend their time to get good laws and good politicians."
The Eagle Forum pushes for low taxes, a strong military and English-only education. The group is against efforts it says are pushed by radical feminists or encroach on U.S. sovereignty, such as guest-worker visas, according to its website, which describes the Equal Rights Amendment as having had a "hidden agenda of tax-funded abortions and same-sex marriages." [end excerpt]
Note: The economic agenda of those influenced by the "Eagle Forum" has been implemented to a large degree since 1980. It is called "trickle down economics", and as an economic regime, it has failed in sustaining a consistant quality of life as those who retain economic wealth do nothing with their power, choosing by their majority to store the wealth in foreign accounts in order to evade taxation in the USA. This act of keeping wealth out of the homeland has decreased the quality of life for the majority, and this is what advocates for fascism and "trickle down economics" such as Phyllis Schlafly wanted.
* "Amid Latest Johnson Gaffe, Critics Destroy Argument for Voting Libertarian; Libertarian presidential nominee Gary Johnson—who's drawing support from former Bernie Sanders supporters— 'has an exceptionally low bar to clear. And yet again, he has shown that he's unable to clear it' " (2016-09-29, commondreams.org) [archive.is/2w5Rb]
USA FASCISM: Military State
* "Hold the champagne: India’s fighter deal with France portends trouble for Western defense companies" (2016-09-30, by Daniel Yoon, warontherocks.com) [archive.is/m52r0]
USA FASCISM: Two Party Dictatorship
* "Establishment Dems Fight to Defeat 'Medicare-for-All' in Colorado; Pro-Clinton Democrats join Big Pharma and state Republicans in fighting to defeat first-in-the-nation ballot measure for statewide single-payer plan" (2016-05-20, commondreams.org) [archive.is/D1API]
* "Hillary Clinton & Rep. Nita Lowey, the Probable Causes of Brooklyn Voter Purges" (2016-05-18, by Netra Halperin) [archive.is/6ODJg], comment from whowhatwhy.org: Flowchart illustrates curious links between Hillary Clinton, Rep. Nita Lowey, and disgraced NY BOE Chief Elections Clerk Diane Haslett-Rudiano in relation to purged voters and “Brownstone-gate”
* "California Is One of the Bluest States in the Union—So Why Are Its Legislators So Centrist? California is dominated by corporate Democrats. These progressives are out to change that" (2016-09-16, thenation.com) [archive.is/5xdQg]
* "Clinton to Californians: Your Votes Will Not Affect the Democratic Primary Whatsoever" (2016-05-20, commondreams.org) [archive.is/qagCl]
* "As California Admits 2 Million Ballots Remain Uncounted, Sanders Pushes for Changing Primary Process" (2016-06-10, democracynow.org) [archive.is/pyugN]
* "Lawsuit Finds Millions Of Uncounted Bernie Sanders Ballots" (2016-06-12, by Baxter Dmitry) [archive.is/KJ2i3]
... debunked? No, these skeptical articles [archive.is/sVzxA], (snopes.com) [archive.is/oHRJK] do not mention the frequency of "spoliation" techniques targeting areas most likely to vote for Bernie Sanders... millions of spoiled ballots not considered for tallying.
* "DEBATE COMMISSION ENFORCES EXCLUSION BY HAVING JILL STEIN ESCORTED OFF HOFSTRA" (2016-09-26, shadowproof.com) [archive.is/KcXY7]. Jill Stein Escorted Off Hofstra... Stopped while on her way to do an interview with MSNBC, Stein was soon loaded into a van which took her off campus, and was told "not to do any more press." She then answered debate questions via Twitter and Facebook.
* (2016-10-02) [archive.is/gG6I6]: How can these polls be true when this is how they calculate it?
* "The GOP declares debate victory for Mike Pence, 90 minutes before it starts" (2016-10-04, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/Q8nDk]
* "The RNC accidentally put up its “Mike Pence won the debate” post early" (2016-10-04, vox.com) [archive.is/sb9jP]
* "Who Won the Vice Presidential Debate" (2016-10-04, gop.com) [archive.is/MCaFI]
* "Inside Correct the Record: Post-Debate PLOT!" (2016-09-27, realtruenews.org) [archive.fo/4iOTI] [begin excerpt]: Correct the Record is a Hillary-campaign super-pac that is dedicated to "fighting the lies" on the Internet. What it is, is a battalion of paid trolls whose job it is to disrupt, demoralize, and defame any Trump supporters and message boards. They communicate using a secure messaging software called "slack" pictured above.
We were able to get some monitoring software onto a junior analyst's laptop to take a look inside the slack-channel where they were doing work. What we found was startling. In the fall-out from last night's debate, they are beginning a new campaign of targeted harassment (or worse) against the "ring leaders" of the decentralized online Trump movement.
Without a traditional campaign infrastructure to target, it appears they have been reduced to going after the "most influential voices" in the online debate. What exactly this means, we're not sure (the comment at the end of the conversation wasn't good though). Below are the screen shots and the full transcript of today's conversation. [...]
Rich Seth is the recently deceased (murdered) whistle-blower who gave information to Wikileaks. FOXACID is NSA software designed to compromise enemy systems. We think 'word of god' and 'heaven' are code for Obama and the White House.
If you know anyone who might be a target of this initiative, please let them know to be careful. [end excerpt]
* "If You Tell Me You Are Supporting Trump, I Already Know Seven Things About You" (2016-10-01, dailykos.com) [archive.is/WyC6T]
* "Donald Trump, Hoping to Change Subjects, Says He Will Bring Prosperity" (2016-08-08, nytimes.com) [archive.is/G1eN9]
* "Mr. Trump’s Losing Economic Game Plan" (2016-08-08, nytimes.com) [archive.is/Shhrt]
* "Donald Trump’s Economic Team Is Far From Typical" (2016-08-08, nytimes.com) [archive.is/ZSTdb] [begin excerpt]: Instead, his economic circle — as he promised — is a bit, shall we say, less typical. The prominent of the not-so-prominent list of economists includes only one Ph.D., Peter Navarro, a professor at the University of California, Irvine and longtime opponent of free trade who blames China for America’s economic ills; Stephen Moore, a flat-tax advocate who co-founded the anti-tax group Club for Growth; and David Malpass, a consultant and former chief economist at Bear Stearns.
The group is heavy on moguls and would-be moguls — all, of course, Trump donors. Among them are Steven Roth, a real estate mogul who owns a building with Mr. Trump; Harold Hamm, the billionaire wildcatter; John A. Paulson, the billionaire hedge fund manager; Steve Feinberg, the co-founder of Cerberus, the private equity firm; and Dan DiMicco, former president and chief executive of the steel company Nucor Corporation, who has been vocal about bringing manufacturing jobs back to the United States.
Wilbur Ross, the famed venture capitalist, was left off the original list but later added on Trump’s website; Mr. Ross said that his team hadn’t gotten back to the candidate in time to be included last week.
And for those keeping score, Carl Icahn, the activist investor and longtime Trump backer, said he was left off the list so he could start a “super PAC,” which he said would not be allowed if he were a formal member of the campaign. [end excerpt]
* "This May Be The Most Horrible Thing That Donald Trump Believes; And it just may be the master key to unlocking how he thinks" (2016-09-28, huffingtonpost.com) [archive.is/PHcwa]
* "Donald Trump Tells Non-Christians At Rally To Identify Themselves; 'Should we keep them in the room?' " (2016-09-29, huffingtonpost.com) [archive.is/9Y85V]
* "Trump Tax Records Obtained by The Times Reveal He Could Have Avoided Paying Taxes for Nearly Two Decades" (2016-10-01, nytimes.com) [archive.is/1sFno]
* "The most shocking part of Donald Trump’s tax records isn’t the $916 million loss everyone’s talking about" (2016-10-02, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/7Zmsf]
* "Report: Trump could have legally avoided taxes for years" (2016-10-01, thehill.com) [archive.is/B64St]
* "Twitter Users Get Nostalgic Over The #LastTimeTrumpPaidTaxes" (2016-10-01, huffingtonpost.com) [archive.is/K13DD]
* "#LastTimeTrumpPaidTaxes: Internet reacts to Trump’s ‘zero tax’ return report" (2016-10-02, rt.com) [archive.is/skns3]
* "How Donald Trump Bankrupted His Atlantic City Casinos, but Still Earned Millions" (2016-06-11, nytimes.com) [archive.is/yqO36]
* "Donald Trump’s Business Plan Left a Trail of Unpaid Bills; Hardball tactics from the presumptive Republican nominee’s real-estate career had some suppliers claiming he shortchanged them" (2016-06-09, wsj.com) [archive.is/femzO]
* "Hundreds allege Donald Trump doesn’t pay his bills" (2016-06-09, usatoday.com) [archive.is/sK6L3]
* "I sold Trump $100,000 worth of pianos. Then he stiffed me. The Republican nominee is a callous businessman" (2016-09-28, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/Vwqdu]
* "Cold hearted Mike Pence refuses to pardon a man wrongly convicted and proven innocent" (2016-10-01, rawstory.com) [archive.is/GCUyp]
* "I Ran the C.I.A. Now I’m Endorsing Hillary Clinton" (2016-08-05, by Michael Morell, via nytimes.com) [archive.is/3tv2v]
* "Anti-Trump Republican Is Said to Plan Independent Presidential Bid" (2016-08-08, nytimes.com) [archive.is/lKtXV] [begin excerpt]: Evan McMullin, a former C.I.A. official and a Republican who passionately opposes Donald J. Trump, will file papers to run for president as an independent candidate, according to two people briefed on his plans.
Mr. McMullin, who until recently worked on policy development with the House Republican conference, has missed the ballot-access deadlines in more than two dozen states.
But Mr. McMullin, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, studied in Utah and could take votes from Mr. Trump in the heavily Mormon state. [end excerpt]
* "Anti-Trump Republican official mounting independent presidential bid" (2016-08-08, businessinsider.com) [archive.is/4mgkj]
* "50 G.O.P. Officials Warn Donald Trump Would Put Nation’s Security ‘at Risk’ " (2016-08-08, nytimes.com) [archive.is/eJWlm]
* "Debate Over Trump’s Fitness Raises Issue of Checks on Nuclear Power" (2016-08-04, nytimes.com) [archive.is/59mwk]
* "Three of Hillary’s Mega Donors Are in Panama Papers; Another Tied to $6.8 Billion Tax Avoidance Scheme" (2016-05-18, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/MYaC2]
* [archive.is/0geg6]. Comment: The following meme shows the absurdity of false scandal which diverts public attention away from how terrible the Two-Party dictatorship's figureheads are.
* "As they left the White House, the Clintons Defaced Walls, Stole Furniture and Much Much Worse" (2016-09-22, truthfeed.com) [archive.is/eKLqi]
* "Clintons Return White House Furniture" (2016-02-08, abcnews.go.com) [archive.is/JH0l4]
* "Capitol Crime: An Internet meme claiming that Hillary Clinton was forced to return $200,000 worth of furniture, china and art she "stole" from the White House is based on a grain of truth" (2016-07-26, snopes.com) [archive.is/qbt1Q]
USA FASCISM: Artificial Poverty and Starvation
* "Pounding On This Again, Begging For Infrastructure Investment" (2016-06-21, by Dave Johnson) [archive.is/em4Ow]
* "About America’s Infrastructure" (2013, American Society of Engineers, infrastructurereportcard.org) [is.gd/UjVik7], attached video [youtu.be/CkiqinYPzXM]
* "No aid with maternity or abortions: Most state laws drive families with kids to poverty - report" (2016-09-30, rt.com) [archive.is/VvGHY]
* [archive.is/cVaRP]: I messaged a friend who lives in America and recently went through cancer treatment. This is a photo of just one of her bills.. for x5 radiotherapy sessions at 5 minutes each and a CT scan.. the cost is unimaginable.. Let's do everything we can to STOP the PRIVITISATION of our health system. Australia doesn't want this!!
* "A Commencement Address for the Most Indebted Class Ever; The system is trying to squeeze you harder than any generation before you" (2016-05-18, by Chuck Collins) [archive.is/h7xad]
* "Self-driving cars and trucks could leave many jobs in the dust" (2016-09-10, seattletimes.com) [archive.is/HSGp8]
* "1.7 Million Truck Drivers May Soon Be Replaced By Robots" (2016-09-30, Jake Anderson) [archive.is/OYuIa]
* "Zume Pizza’s robots, truck ovens dish up a slice of disruption" (2016-09-29, sfchronicle.com) [archive.is/YTK8G]
* "Meet China’s New Taser Wielding Riot Control Robot" (2016-05-17, by Joshua Krause) [archive.is/7jpyq]
WORLD FASCISM WATCH
Documenting the global economic dictatorship
* "Dilma Rousseff: Old Brazilian oligarchy behind ‘coup’ " (2016-05-19, rt.com) [archive.is/uqvOB], comment from whowhatwhy.org: The unseated Brazilian President vows to fight the bogus impeachment process in her first TV interview since the Senate suspended her from power. She discusses the media’s role in her removal, and how it is an example of a new wave of coups spreading across Latin America.
* "CEOs Panic: Europe Rules Corporate Tax Loopholes Are 'Illegal' ; The European Commission’s ruling is the result of years of sustained activism from anti-austerity groups like UK Uncut" (2015-10-22, usuncut.com) [archive.is/HXipH]
* "German politician accuses US of waging ‘economic war’ against Deutsche Bank" (2016-10-03, rt.com) [archive.is/G1oxc]
* "The Contagion Deutsche Bank Is Spreading Is All About Derivatives" (2016-09-30, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/YYloq], chart caption: OFR Data Shows Derivative Exposures as Percent of Total Exposures (Symbols: JPM= JPMorgan Chase; C=Citigroup; BAC=Bank of America; WFC=Wells Fargo; GS=Goldman Sachs; MS=Morgan Stanley)
* "Another Nail In Germany’s Economic Coffin: Commerzbank Cuts Out Jobs And Shareholders’ Profits" (2016-09-29, by Daisy Luther) [archive.is/Xkee1]
A similar situation in the world market regime was addressed with solutions that failed because the private economic beauracracies forbade any interference with their private acquisition of wealth...
* "World Leaders Agree to Seek Major Reform" (2008-11-16, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/X7tGx] [begin excerpt]: World leaders holding an emergency meeting to combat the economic crisis agreed yesterday to a far-reaching action plan that, over the next 4 1/2 months, would begin to reshape international financial institutions and reform worldwide regulatory and accounting rules. [end excerpt]
* "Coincidence? Bankers, Doctors, And Dozens Of Scientists Have Been Dying Mysteriously" (2016-09-30, by Daisy Luther) [archive.is/fXEDS]
* "Strange Deaths of JPMorgan Workers Continue" (2016-09-29, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/tbbM0] [begin excerpt]: This latest unusual death of a JPMorgan Chase employee adds to a stunning roster of bizarre deaths since 2014 – a period which has also seen three felony counts leveled against the firm by the U.S. Justice Department and billions of dollars in fines for wide-ranging charges of wrongdoing.
News reports on the bizarre deaths began with Gabriel Magee, a JPMorgan Vice President who worked in computer infrastructure. Magee, 39, is alleged to have leaped from the rooftop of the 33-story JPMorgan European headquarters building at 25 Bank Street on the evening of January 27, 2014 or the morning of January 28, 2014. London tabloids initially reported that Magee’s jump was observed by “thousands of commuters” and JPMorgan colleagues. But after an official inquest, no eyewitnesses could be produced who had actually seen Magee jump. The coroner ruled that Magee’s death was a suicide.
Three weeks after Magee’s alleged leap from the bank’s skyscraper in London, a JPMorgan employee in Hong Kong, 33-year old Dennis Li (Junjie), is said to have leaped to this death on February 18, 2014 from the 30-story Chater House office building in Hong Kong where JPMorgan occupied the top floors. At the time of the death, Wall Street On Parade received elusive answers from the communication team at JPMorgan Chase as to the young man’s job function at the bank. The South China Morning Post newspaper called Li an “investment banker”; the Standard newspaper in Hong Kong wrote that Li was an accounting major who worked in the finance department at JPMorgan. The China Times wrote that Li was a “Forex trader.” On May 20 of last year, JPMorgan Chase pleaded guilty to a felony count by the U.S. Justice Department for its role in rigging foreign currency exchange trading.
Also in February 2014 came news reports that JPMorgan Executive Director, Ryan Crane, age 37, had died suddenly at his home in Stamford, Connecticut on February 3, 2014. After approximately three months, the Connecticut Medical Examiner released the cause of death, calling it ethanol toxicity/accident.
One month after Crane’s death, on March 12, 2014, yet another alleged building leap occurred, this time in Manhattan by a former JPMorgan analyst, Kenneth Bellando, age 28. Bellando’s body was discovered outside his six-story apartment building on the East Side of Manhattan, by no means a height reliably sufficient to ensure a death outcome.
Bellando was the brother of John Bellando, a JPMorgan employee who had figured in the U.S. Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations’ report on how JPMorgan had hid losses and lied to regulators in the London Whale derivatives trading scandal that resulted in depositor losses of at least $6.2 billion in the FDIC-insured bank of JPMorgan Chase. The bank paid a total of $1.2 billion in fines to U.S. and U.K. regulators. The Justice Department brought criminal charges against two of its traders involved in the scheme.
Two months after Bellando’s death, on May 7, 2014, Thomas James Schenkman, age 42, died suddenly in Connecticut. Schenkman was Managing Director of Global Infrastructure Engineering for JPMorgan Chase. Schenkman began his technology career with Microsoft, where he worked for 11 years. He had also previously worked at Goldman Sachs and Bear Stearns. Schenkman’s tenure at JPMorgan stretched from 2008 to the time of his death. The cause of death was eventually assigned to “atherosclerotic coronary artery disease” by the Connecticut Office of the Chief Medical Examiner.
Another death by a JPMorgan worker that went initially unnoticed outside of Wall Street On Parade was that of Jason Alan Salais, age 34. The death of Salais came just six weeks before Magee’s alleged leap from the JPMorgan skyscraper in London. Salais was standing outside a Walgreens drugstore on the evening of December 15, 2013 and died of a sudden heart attack according to a family member. Salais had joined JPMorgan in 2008 with a strong background in computer technology, having previously worked as a Client Software Technician at SunGard and a UNIX Systems Analyst at Logix Communications.
Then there were the unfathomable murder-suicides in New Jersey where two separate JPMorgan workers were said to have murdered their wives and then taken their own lives. According to Bergen County, New Jersey Prosecutor John Molinelli and police reports, 27-year old Michael A. Tabacchi and his wife, Iran Pars Tabacchi (who also went by the name Denise) were discovered dead on Friday evening, February 7, 2015 in their home in Closter, New Jersey. Their infant son was in the home and unharmed. The deaths were ruled a murder-suicide.
The Tabacchi murder-suicide came just seven months after the alleged murder-suicide of the Knott couple. The bodies of Julian Knott and his wife, Alita, ages 45 and 47, respectively, were discovered by police on July 6, 2014 at their home in the Lake Hopatcong section of Jefferson Township, New Jersey. After a two-day investigation, police announced that they believed Julian Knott shot his wife repeatedly and then took his own life with the same gun. The Knotts had three teenage children, two living at home and one in college. Julian Knott was a high-ranking technology executive for JPMorgan Chase. [end excerpt]
* "Chinese yuan becomes IMF reserve currency, first new addition since ‘99" (2016-10-01, rt.com) [archive.is/OumMe]
* "Lawsuit sheds rare light on dysfunction within world of venture capitalism" (2016-05-16, rt.com) [archive.is/WCk3j]
* "Mexico’s Richest Man Confronts a New Foe: The State That Helped Make Him Rich" (2016-08-09, nytimes.com) [archive.is/s7FWy]
* "ROOTING OUT MODERN SLAVERY IN COFFEE SUPPLY CHAINS" (2016-04-13, crs.org) [is.gd/LjwWft]
* "Local Liberal Man Says Communism is Against Human Nature, Acts Like He Has Made a Profound Discovery" [archive.is/JFXo2]: A local liberal man recently burst into a meeting of the local anarchists and communists and proclaimed that he had found the antidote to communism that everyone had overlooked: human nature. Even after being told by the leftists that this was an old, tired, annoying, and fallacious argument, the man insisted that his arguments from human nature were so strong that no one could have repeated the same thing for the last hundred years. When asked what exactly about human nature is against communism, the man could not offer a coherent answer but apparently said something like “people are really bad.”
Another report suggested that the man was forcibly taken out of the meeting place after he kept insisting for two hours that people were just “really bad” while not allowing the attendees to continue their meeting.
“We’ll show you human nature,” said one of the attendees before punching him in the face and dragging him out.
* "Soviet squares: how public space is disappearing in post-communist cities; Privatisation is stripping cities in Russia and Eastern Europe of their public assets, leaving a chaotic mix of advertising, dilapidation and new development" (2016-04-21, theguardian.com) [archive.is/I68V3]
* "Canada Represents a Reservoir of Support for Ukrainian Neo-Nazis" (2015-10-04, strategic-culture.org) [archive.is/PJryf]
* "US Holocaust Museum Censures Ukraine Over Decision to Honor Nazi Collaborators" (2015-12-08, constantinereport.com) [archive.is/Xjpv2]
* "Renowned ‘Nazi hunter’ says Canada still a haven for scores of war criminals who will likely never face justice" (2014-06-22, news.nationalpost.com) [archive.is/ikvIX]
* "MI5, the CIA and Ukrainian Nazi Collaborator Stepan Bandera" (2010-02-07, constantinereport.com) [archive.is/cQe4e]
* "CIA: Undermining and Nazifying Ukraine Since 1953" (2016-01-08, by Wayne Madsen) [archive.is/oWW3c]
* "NAZI TERRORIST CONNECTION: HITLER’S LEGACY" (2016-03-06, constantinereport.com) [archive.is/oJkSq]:
Excerpt from Peter Levenda’s book “The Hitler Legacy: The Nazi Cult in Diaspora: How it was Organized, How it was Funded, and Why it Remains a Threat to Global Security in the Age of Terrorism.”
A lot has been written about the hidden Nazi networks in Europe and South America. What many investigators have missed, however, is the true extent of this network in the United States. While we have all heard of former concentration camp guards being arrested in America and deported to stand trial abroad, we have not learned of the underground support systems that existed in the United States before the war, and how many individuals offered covert support to war criminals after it.
American Reich -
“Between 1933 and 1941, at least 120 anti-semitic groups were founded in the United States, and that figure excludes most of the ethnic fascist movements.” — Philip Jenkins, Hoods and Shirts, 1997
The story of Jörg Haider is not an isolated one. Austria has been struggling with Nazi and pro-Nazi groups since long before Anschluss made the land of Mozart and kaffee klatsches a part of the Third Reich. Hitler, after all, had been born and raised in Austria. Many of the Reich’s most notorious and violent Nazis were Austrians, such as Ernst Kaltenbrunner. Haider’s parents had been Nazis in Austria when it was still an illegal political party, risking their liberty and reputations in support of Hitler’s ideology. Revelations in the 1980s concerning Kurt Waldheim’s Nazi past made headlines all over the world, calling into question his role both as the head of the Austrian government as well as his tenure at the United Nations.
And it was in Austria — in the salt mines and underground caverns in and around Salzburg — that the Nazis had planned to make their last stand. And it was from this same region — and specifically the offices of the Counterintelligence Corps (CIC) of the US Army — that men like Klaus Barbie, the “Butcher of Lyon,” were hired to work for American intelligence — before they were aided in their escape to Latin America. Kaltenbrunner, Skorzeny, Hanna Reitsch: these and many other celebrities of the Reich were either captured in Austria, or worked for a time for the CIC in Austria, or both. Travel through the Tyrol to the Italian border was relatively easy and many refugees made it to the Italian town of Bolzano (Bozen), where they awaited papers and funds to make it the rest of the way to Rome or to Genoa, and from there to the ships that would take them to safety.
One of the most famous Nazis to have survived the war relatively intact was General Otto Remer, the man in charge of the clean-up campaign after the failure of Operation Valkyrie: the plot to assassinate Hitler. Remer rounded up the conspirators and had them shot, and for that earned a special place in Hitler’s estimation as a man who could be trusted when all others were suspect.
Remer went on to become involved in post-war Austrian politics for various extreme right-wing parties and was suspected of being involved in a plot to resurrect the Nazi apparatus during the Naumann Affair. He became a sought-after speaker at various ODESSA-like events in Europe, and was even an invited guest at a conference held by Willis Carto’s Liberty Lobby in the United States. An event at which former Nixon speechwriter Pat Buchanan was in attendance.
Otto Remer is one of the links in the chain that connects the Nazis of the Second World War to the right-wing underground in Europe, the United States, the Middle East, and Latin America after the war. He, along with Otto Skorzeny and Hans-Ulrich Rudel, was one of the most visible and unapologetic members of the Reich in the post-war period. His role — and that of his colleagues — is one of the reasons I resist calling this movement “neoNazi.” So many actual Nazis who held rank and privilege during the war were involved in helping the Party apparatus survive after the war; there is nothing “neo” about “neo-Nazism.”
The ODESSA File -
The term ODESSA was popularized by the novelist Frederick Forsyth in his bestseller The ODESSA File and by the movie inspired by the book, starring a young Jon Voight as a German journalist on the trail of the post-war Nazi underground. Aside from an opening sequence that takes place in the Middle East as Israel becomes aware that former Nazi scientists are in Egypt working on missile technology, the action takes place completely in Germany and Austria.
ODESSA thus entered the mainstream consciousness as a catch-all term for any one of several groups of former SS officers and other assorted Nazi war criminals engaged in a kind of secret society of murder and world domination. In fact, as Argentine journalist and investigator Uki Goñi has shown, ODESSA did, in fact, exist and was one of the names given to the extensive escape routes taken by the war criminals out of Germany, through Austria and Italy, to South America: escape routes that were also known as the ratlines.
What many investigators have missed, however, is the true extent of this network in the United States. While we have all heard of former concentration camp guards being arrested in America and deported to stand trial abroad, we have not learned of the underground support systems that existed in the United States before the war, and how many individuals offered covert support to war criminals after the war.
Some of this has been revealed in declassified files of American intelligence agencies, who were complicit in the escape of at least one well-known war criminal — and that of course was Klaus Barbie, the infamous “Butcher of Lyon,” who was eventually discovered in Bolivia and extradited to France to stand trial in the 1980s. We have also heard of Operation Paperclip: the US government’s program of bringing Nazi rocket scientists to America to jumpstart the space program (a military program, it should be remembered, at that time and still under the aegis of the Department of the Army).
But there were other, lesser known, individuals in America who were part of a quiet ODESSA of their own, men and women who believed in the Nazi ideal and who idolized its heroes. Some of these were revealed when an address book belonging to one of the leaders of the real ODESSA was recently declassified (possibly in error, since some of the names in that book are of individuals still alive as this is being written). What is important to understand is that this was not a new, perverse sort of hero-worship that only began when Germany was defeated. Rather it had roots in America long before the war began.
It is easier to understand the post-war Nazi underground if we realize the extent to which there was a pre-war Nazi underground: not only in Europe (principally Germany and Austria) but also in North America, South America, the Middle East and Asia. Many individuals, groups, corporations and politicians were sympathetic not only to Germany’s situation in the aftermath of World War One and the punitive Treaty of Versailles, but also to Germany’s intellectual contribution to discussions (and policy positions) on race, eugenics, and Social Darwinism. The Russian Revolution took place a year before the end of World War One, and the perceived threat of a global Communist movement mobilized right-wing elements across the globe even as it inspired many others.
* "The Nazi Threat in the United States: Imported or Homegrown" (2015-04-01, by Henry Heller) [archive.is/wLylL]
* "UK: Neo-Nazis in Catholic Church are Plotting to Take Over Society of St. Pius X; Neo-Nazi Holocaust deniers 'plan takeover' of SSPX, claim anti-Fascist campaigners" (2013-05-26, constantinereport.com) [archive.is/VDwTx], photo caption: Holocaust denier and far-right Catholic rebel Bishop Richard Williamson
* "Saudi women face jail & flogging for checking husband’s phone unlawfully" (2016-05-14, rt.com) [archive.is/XReky]
* (2016-05-13) [archive.is/1nSWT]:
WORLD FASCISM WATCH: #OPDeathEaters
A study of the personal ideologies and social practices of those who benefit from the global capitalist regime. [WorldFascists.blogspot.com]
* "WHY ISN’T ANYONE TALKING ABOUT DONALD TRUMP’S CHILD RAPE CASE?" (2016-10-03, brokeassstuart.com) [archive.is/bgBA8]
* "Bill Clinton was frequent flier on pedophile’s private jet ‘Lolita Express’ " (2016-05-14, rt.com) [archive.is/7QDzv], photo caption: Jeffrey Epstein and former US President Bill Clinton.
* "Inquiry into botched VIP pedophile investigation will condemn individual police officers" (2016-10-03, rt.com) [archive.is/gWRfR]
* "Children’s ministry caught haggling for sex with underage girls" (2016-05-21, rt.com) [archive.is/DocMY]
information collected by the
BAY AREA PEACE COUNCIL
[SolanoPeaceJustice.blogspot.com], for justice, dignity and human rights in accordance with the 1966 International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (.pdf) [is.gd/TftqGs], and an end to the USA's endless wars, in harmony with Principle 1 & 6 of International Law [archive.is/tmncz], the 5 protocols of the Convention on Conventional Weapons (CCW) [archive.is/LhUTj], and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights [archive.is/U1Ota].
* "This October, All Hands On Deck to Stop the TPP" (2016-09-30, labornotes.org) [archive.is/rR8Du]
* "Talking Footwear Trade with President Obama’s Chief Trade Rep. Ambassador Michael Froman // United States Trade Representative (USTR), Office of the United States Trade Representative, Executive Office of the President" audio podcast (2016-09-28, shoeinshow.com)
[http://web.archive.org/web/20160930192712/http://www.shoeinshow.com/mediacast/special-talking-trade-president-obamas-chief-trade-rep/]: Matt and Andy sit down with President Obama’s chief trade advisor, Ambassador Michael Froman, at USTR HQ to discuss the current state of play for TPP, the remaining months of the Obama presidency, and other hot topics relating to global trade.
Christie joins in on the fun as she quizzes the boys and Ambassador Froman on all things presidential footwear.
* "Border Convergence Poster" (2016-09-28, soaw.org) [archive.is/icIk3]:
Two Beehive Design Collective inspired artists created an amazing poster for the October 7-10 SOA Watch Convergence at the US/Mexico Border in Nogales, Arizona/ Sonora [soaw.org/border].
Click here to download and view the Poster at full resolution (.pdf) [is.gd/Z0trZ7].
The Beehive Design Collective is one of over 400 sponsors and endorsers of the convergence, which is going to start on Friday, October 7, with a vigil at the Eloy Immigrant Detention Center in Arizona. Convergence events include a march to the border wall from Mexico and the US, followed by a rally on both sides of the wall on Saturday, October 8; workshops in Nogales, Arizona, USA and workshops in Nogales, Sonora, Mexico; as well as a People of Color Space in Tucson, Arizona, USA. On Sunday, we will gather at the border wall to commemorate those whose lives were lost through state violence throughout the Americas. Click here for a full October 7-10 schedule of events [soaw.org/border/weekend-program]. It's not too late to make your travel plans! Join us at the border from October 7-10, 2016!
The artists composed the following narrative that accompanies the poster, and dives further into the issues that we are addressing with the convergence. The narrative can also be downloaded and printed as a pdf document [is.gd/sEjda5]:
"In the center of the graphic is the Jaguar, one of many animals whose habitat has been destroyed by the border. Animals and humans historically migrated across the land that the border now divides.
The central Jaguar is a recent graduate of the School of the Americas. The jaguar’s eyes are looking toward the land it traditionally migrated through, a healthy desert ecosystem- but its body is turning toward the present-day scene of a landscape split violently by the border.
"The jaguar’s gaze falls to the viewer’s left, where plants, animals and communities travel through the desert in spring. Two Jaguars and a Mexican Grey Wolf stand in front of a flowing river. Above them in the Saguaro, a Cactus Wren looks out at the tall Ocotillo plant in bloom. The flowers attract the Hummingbird, a seasonal migrant pollinator who depends on the timing of the blossom- a crucial energy source for its long journey north to its breeding grounds, sometimes as far north as Alaska. When the land is destroyed for extracting resources, minerals, and oil, the plants’ natural cycles are affected, endangering migratory creatures who depend on them."
Click here to read the rest of the narrative [is.gd/EvNvpn].
* "Court overrules disclosure of US ‘school of assassins’ graduates names" (2016-10-01, rt.com) [archive.is/OlxqK]
* "A reflection on our recent delegation from Los Angeles CISPES member, Sofia Canales" (2016-09-28, cispes.org): When I learned of CISPES’ fact-finding mission to El Salvador this summer, I felt the pull of my ancestral home. I was convinced that this trip would be life-changing, and it was.
Thanks to the support of people like you, ours was one of the largest and most diverse delegations that CISPES has led in years. With generous donations to our scholarship fund, most of our nineteen delegates were students and young workers like me who might otherwise have been unable to afford the trip.
During our time in El Salvador, it was clear that the leftist government under President Sánchez Cerén is fighting to make life in El Salvador dignified for all. We heard this shared hope from economists, government officials, FMLN party members, social movement leaders, and pastoral workers alike.
But we also learned that this will not be possible unless El Salvador can break free from the detrimental influence of corporations and foreign governments, like the US [archive.is/uQ8g0].
I am angered and ashamed to have been born and raised by a country that consistently seeks to undermine every attempt made by the people of El Salvador to make their country an appealing and peaceful place in which to live.
Now that I’m back in Los Angeles, I am committed to sharing my experiences through art and writing - you can check out some of my work here [archive.is/JK7u4].
The new CISPES chapter we have in Los Angeles is as busy as can be! We’re organizing report-backs for allies in the immigrant rights and labor movements, leading screen-printing workshops, and getting our carpools together for a caravan to the US-Mexico border to protest US militarization with our allies at School of the Americas Watch [soaw.org/border].
Through this organizing, I hope to share with people what I witnessed on the delegation, that Salvadorans are able to put love for their people above everything else. They continue the social movement struggle for each other. Their leaders have the wisdom and steadfast spirit to steer a transformative movement to bring about the positive change the people have long been fighting for.
CISPES has provided the framework for this journey – from the delegation that opened my eyes to a vehicle for organizing. And we have supporters like you to thank for making that possible.
Like the tenacious Salvadoran people, CISPES is steadfast in its commitment and solidarity. Thank you for being part of the CISPES community and our essential mission.
* "5 arrested in Drone Protest at Beale AFB while 13 Civilians are Killed by US Drone Strike in Afghanistan! Another 14 Wounded!" (2016-09-29, Toby Blomé):
#ENOUGH WAR, #ENOUGH DRONE KILLING, #ENOUGH Apathy
On Tuesday, Sept. 27, the very day that activists were at Beale Air Force Base protesting endless wars and illegal drone killing, a U.S. Drone attack killed 13 civilians and wounded 14 others in Afghanistan. Initially the Pentagon claimed that most of those killed were "suspected militants," but a day later they are admitting to most or all being civilians (story here [archive.is/t5IVM]). Who will be next?
- Read Sharon Delgado's blog [archive.is/iCrN9] of Tuesday's protest and the 5 activists who were arrested yesterday for peace & justice and #ENOUGH DRONE KILLING!
- Consider joining us at Beale as often as you can, or at a drone base nearest you [facebook.com/OccupyBealeAirForceBase].
- Consider joining us at Creech AFB this fall or spring, where U.S. Airmen are ordered to execute human beings from the desert of Nevada with armed Predator and Reaper drones:
CODEPINK Fall Action at Creech: Nov. 6 - 12
3rd Annual SHUT DOWN CREECH, National Mass Mobilization Against Drone Warfare: April 23 - 29
- Join the Afghan Peace Volunteers #ENOUGH campaign to ABOLISH WAR here [ourjourneytosmile.com/blog/enough].
ENOUGH ALREADY! THESE ARE NOT OUR WARS, THE PEOPLE DEMAND PEACE!
Photo: Arrestees Sharon Delgado, Chris Nelson, Toby Blomé, Shirley Osgood, Cathy Webster, and supporter, Barry Binks.
* "Five Arrests at Beale AFB Today: Part of International Week of Direct Action" (2016-09-29, by Marcus):
Campaign Nonviolence helped coordinate over 750 public actions for peace, mostly in the USA, in opposition to military and other forces of extreme violence on earth. Hundreds were arrested in these activities, including five elder women at Beale Air Force Base near Marysville, CA.
The anti-robotic warfare activists were all from Northern California, as were most of the other pro-justice demonstrators at Beale. Two were from Butte County and two from Nevada County. Other folks including people from the Bay Area and the Sierra Nevada mountains were part of the local coordinated effort which included a camp out at the entrance to Beale AFB. Many were part of the #ENOUGH movement for justice in opposition to US bombings of innocent civilians. Over a dozen people were present at last night’s peace vigil and this morning’s vigil, with only five arrested at 7:30am today: Rev. Sharon Delgado of Nevada City, Shirley O of Grass Valley, Toby Blome of El Cerrito, Cathy W of Chico, and Chris Nelson of Chico.
The tone of the demonstrations was somber, with honor for all the dead killed by militarism, including last week's U2 pilot Lt. Col. Ira Stephen Eadie from Beale, and the civilians of Yemen, Libya, Syria, and Pakistan.
Join in on future actions! Visit [paceebene.org/programs/campaign-nonviolence/campaign-nonviolence-week-of-actions].
* "Stand with the People of Haiti for Free and Fair Elections" (Anti-Imperialist News, email@example.com):
Please read the statement below and mobilize members of your organization and networks to phone, fax, tweet and send the message below to President Obama, Secretary John Kerry, MINUSTAH, OAS and Caricom:
1) the people of Haiti have had enough of US/UN-supported fraudulent elections;
2) it's time to respect the vote of the Haitian majority as they work to rebuild their country;
3) stop US-financing of the terrror campaign by a minority against the poor majority who are fighting for democracy in Haiti.
Send to [firstname.lastname@example.org], Caribbean Community [email@example.com], UN Mission in Haiti [firstname.lastname@example.org]
* "Haiti Rises! As the US plots to steal another Haiti election..." (Haiti Action Committee, haitisolidarity.net):
On a Lavalas campaign sweep throughout Haiti, former President Aristide and Dr. Maryse Narcisse, the Fanmi Lavalas presidential candidate, have been greeted by huge enthusiastic crowds. There is much concern however, that the right-wing is putting in place the usual apparatus of violence, denying voters their electoral cards, and instituting sudden changes of polling stations to suppress the popular vote, steal ballots and change the vote count.
The Haitian people are determined that their votes will be counted in the October 9^th election. After the vote, they will mobilize to defend their ballot. Our support outside of Haiti is crucial as the corporate media will undoubtedly dutifully report the official right-wing anti-democratic version as the elections unfold.
The concerns below are being expressed by individuals and grassroots organizations regarding Haiti's Provisional Electoral Council, known by the acronyms KEP in Kreyol or CEP in French. This agency, supposedly in charge of organizing free and fair elections, is notorious for being at the center of the massive fraud that has marred recent elections in Haiti. Of great concern also are the official teams of observers headed by the OAS and other international bodies and their local teams that in the past have hailed and supported the CEP's fraudulent results as legitimate.
1) The electoral council or CEP is headed by a leading figure of the 2004 kidnapping coup d'etat, Leopold Berlanger.
2) The main coup leader/sweatshop owner, Andy Apaid, now plays a central role as lead consultant in the CEP's tabulation center where the official vote counting results are collected and finalized for publication.
3) The CEP under Berlanger's leadership has failed to implement a number of recommendations of the Electoral Verification Commission. This failure has allowed fraudulent parliamentary results that favored Martelly/right wing supporters to stand.
4) Berlanger's CEP is insistent on quarantining all votes from a precinct where a candidate obtains 200+ votes out of a total of 550 ballots per precinct. Under the pretext of preventing fraud, perfectly valid ballots are eliminated from the count because a popular candidate is receiving ?too many? votes. Officials of Fanmi Lavalas have been protesting this measure as it arbitrarily discards valid ballots in precincts that will have large turnouts in favor of their candidates. Quarantined or provisional ballots in Haiti end up not being counted and are likely to be destroyed.
5) A leading figure of the 2004 coup d'etat, Rosny Desroches, is in charge of the officially designated election observer teams of 1,500 individuals. According to radio reports, funding for the observer teams came through the National Democratic Institute (NDI) working in collaboration with International Foundation for Electoral Services (IFES). While the International Republican Institute (IRI) does not have offices in Haiti, it operates from the Dominican Republic through a number of existing organizations in Haiti. [Both NDI and IRI are part of the U.S. government?s mis-named National Endowment for Democracy; the IRI was implicated in the 2004 coup in Haiti.]
6) It has been reported that the National Organization for the Advancement of Haitians (NOAH) is organizing an election observer team of 200 people. NOAH has worked closely with the Organization of American States (OAS) and the State Department, both of which have been ardent supporters of fraudulent elections in Haiti.
7) The OAS is planning to deploy a team of observers. The OAS has been thoroughly discredited in Haiti given its recent stand in support of the massive fraud orchestrated by the CEP in the 2015 elections.
The OAS' record of support for fraudulent elections in Haiti includes its intrusive role in the 2010-11 elections that resulted in the Martelly presidency.
All this means that the U.S. government and its allies will have their hands all over how the ballots are counted in this upcoming election.
As the people of Haiti continue to mobilize for Lavalas, we have to do all we can to insure that their voices and their votes are respected. One person, one vote. Tout moun se moun. Every person counts.
* "NEW FUNDRAISER IN EFFECT" (2016-10-01, facebook.com) [archive.is/sr3dG], attached video set (via youtube.com) [is.gd/ws2hES]:
We have done a lot of Army vids lately. Artillery, Tanks, local SWAT teams, vid from the Front in Zaitsevo coming soon, so it's about time for some more of the Mr. Nice Guy stuff. Which I love even more than fighting fascists.
We will be going to see Sophie in Yasynuvata next week. She needs some meds urgently, and her Mom says it could be a coma situation if she doesn't get it. We will make sure she does, but the meds run about 5,000 Rubles for a 3 month supply. Dr. Olga also asked for some help with meds for her 4 year old, Nicolai. We have helped some, but would like to help more. The HIV orphanage is also high on our list, we would like to make that a regular thing. I also have two Суть Времени comrades who were very badly wounded clearing ukrop mines. Both Heroes, both friends. Their treatment will take a while, and we are doing all we can for them.
So, if you want to contribute to these and other projects, you can donate via Paypal with a credit card, or via Western Union.
Info can be found on my website - [russelltexasbentley.com/p/donate.html]
Money goes to Humanitarian projects, not towards military gear. Obama and his fellow nazis in D.C. supply plenty to the Ukraine Army, and we get their gear when they surrender, or when we cure them of their fascism the old fashioned way. But the innocent civilians and victims of this war need help, and together, we can make a difference. Do what you can...
* "Students & faculty protest ‘war criminal’ Madeleine Albright commencement speech" (2016-05-14, rt.com) [archive.is/O4Jm1]
* " ‘Extend American power’: Foreign policy establishment doubles down" (2016-05-21, rt.com) [archive.is/aCTlx]
* "Pentagon paid PR firm $540mn to make fake terrorist videos" (2016-10-02, rt.com) [archive.is/AJVkk]:
* "Julian Assange says “1,700 emails in Hillary Clinton’s collection” proves she sold weapons to ISIS in Syria; Then Secretary of State Hillary Clinton knew that the US was sending arms from Libya to Syria in 2011, a year before the Benghazi attacks" (2016-08-01, theduran.com) [archive.is/fSubT] [begin excerpt]: In Obama’s second term, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton authorized the shipment of American-made arms to Qatar, a country beholden to the Muslim Brotherhood, and friendly to the Libyan rebels, in an effort to topple the Libyan/Gaddafi government, and then ship those arms to Syria in order to fund Al Qaeda, and topple Assad in Syria.
Clinton took the lead role in organizing the so-called “Friends of Syria” (aka Al Qaeda/ISIS) to back the CIA-led insurgency for regime change in Syria.
Under oath Hillary Clinton denied she knew about the weapons shipments during public testimony in early 2013 after the Benghazi terrorist attack.
In an interview with Democracy Now, Wikileaks’ Julian Assange is now stating that 1,700 emails contained in the Clinton cache directly connect Hillary to Libya to Syria, and directly to Al Qaeda and ISIS.
Here is the transcript and the revelation by Assange… [begin transcript]:
JULIAN ASSANGE [archive.is/HnBYo]: So, those Hillary Clinton emails, they connect together with the cables that we have published of Hillary Clinton, creating a rich picture of how Hillary Clinton performs in office, but, more broadly, how the U.S. Department of State operates. So, for example, the disastrous, absolutely disastrous intervention in Libya, the destruction of the Gaddafi government, which led to the occupation of ISIS of large segments of that country, weapons flows going over to Syria, being pushed by Hillary Clinton, into jihadists within Syria, including ISIS, that’s there in those emails. There’s more than 1,700 emails in Hillary Clinton’s collection, that we have released, just about Libya alone. [end transcript]
* "Bin Laden's letters reveal a terrorist losing control" (2012-05-04, edition.cnn.com) [archive.is/bHQiE] [begin excerpt]: A segment of the records reveals that bin Laden was revamping al Qaeda's media strategy, particularly in the wake of the Arab Spring protests, a movement toward freer societies in the Middle East and North Africa. He wanted to launch a publicity campaign that would inspire those who had "not yet revolted." [end excerpt]
* "Destroying Syria: a Joint Criminal Enterprise" (2016-10-04, counterpunch.org) [archive.is/nbDjm]
* "UN blames US, EU sanctions for punishing Syrian civilians, stalling aid work – leaked report" (2016-10-02, rt.com) [archive.is/VxElP]
* "Jaafari to Schiller Institute: ISIL Has Been There for Centuries" (2016-09-16, syrianews.cc) [archive.is/3Tzns] [begin excerpt]: Islam is not about Saudi Arabia. In Damascus, in the greatest mosque in Damascus, called the Umayyad Mosque, in the middle, in the heart of the mosque, which is also the biggest and greatest mosque in Syria,— we have the shrine of St. John the Baptist, inside the mosque. The tomb of St. John the Baptist is in the middle of the mosque, where Muslims as well as Christians visit the tomb, and say their prayers. Senator Black told you about the Mufti of Syria, this wonderful man. Could you believe that his main political adviser is a Christian? The Mufti’s political adviser is a Christian. Only in Syria—only in Syria. This is why we are extremely proud of our secularism. We are proud of what we are, whether we are Muslims or Christians, but we are not ready to become as crazy as the Saudis are. And we don’t share, at all, their concepts of religion.
By the way, what ISIL is doing, and all these fanatic groups operating in Syria and Iraq, those who are beheading the boys, and women, and girls,— they have inherited beheading people by sword from the Wahhabis! Till now, ladies and gentlemen, in Saudi Arabia, after the Friday prayers, they behead people in the public square! Till now! It is not only ISIL! In Saudi Arabia itself, every Friday after the prayer, they behead people, publicly, in the public square, but using swords! So the story is not new. ISIL is not a newcomer; ISIL has been there for centuries, represented by the Saudis. And this is why they are protecting them and defending them and sending them weapons and money. [end excerpt]
Photo caption: (Saudi Arabia TV) To this day, the Saudi government beheads those found guilty of adultery, apostasy, or sorcery. Here, a Saudi television screenshot of a public beheading in 2013.
Photo caption: The shrine and tomb of John the Baptist, known as Yahya in the Koran. It is in the Umayyad Mosque in Damascus and is visited by Christians and Muslims.
* "Saint Ephrem the Syrian Patriarchal Choir performs at Damascus" (2016-09-23, sana.sy) [archive.is/pmTl6]: The Patriarchal Choir Saint Ephrem the Syrian organized a musical performance at the stadium of al-Thawra Sports Club in al-Qasa’a area in Damascus, during which it launched the “love brings us together” initiative in cooperation with the United Nations Development Program (UNDP).
Accompanied by music from Adonia band, the Choir performed a variety of traditional and folk songs, all focusing on the theme of peace.
Director of the initiative Shadi Sarwa told SANA that the initiative includes an “art contest for peace” for ages 16 to 30, and it involves composing and writing songs, sculpture, and writing poetry.
Photos [archive.is/4UKZg] [archive.is/ExuDz] [archive.is/gZufB] [archive.is/i4OgZ].
* "Mass for peace in Syria held in St. Thecla Cathedral in Darayya" (2016-09-23, sana.sy) [archive.is/2RxYP]: The Greek Orthodox Patriarchate on Friday organized a mass for peace in Syria and the souls of the martyrs at St. Thecla Cathedral in Darayya, Damascus Countryside.
Presiding upon the services, Bishop Luca al-Khouri prayed for peace in Syria, asserting that Syrians support their army and leadership in the fight against terrorism.
Al-Khouri addressed the Europeans, Americans, and all those who sent criminals to wreak havoc in Syria, saying that Christians in Syria don’t need anyone to protection and that they are more than capable of protecting themselves.
In turn, Father Beshara al-Qara from St. Thecla Cathedral said that the prayers being held today in Darayya and the return to the city that suffered at the hands of terrorism proves that Syria’s civilization will never die because Syrians are adherent to life and peace and committed to their land.
* "A protest staged in front of the US Embassy in Slovakia condemning aggression on military post in Deir Ezzor" (2016-09-23, sana.sy) [archive.is/kTweY]
Solidarity with the diaspora of the expelled People of Syria, and the refugees escaping from USA-backed terrorism!
* "Soros to make a killing with European 'forced migration' " (2016-10-02, rt.com) [archive.is/lHsiD]
* "Syrian children ‘stripped, abused’ in Greek detention for carrying toy guns – Amnesty" (2016-10-01, rt.com) [archive.is/tYHtc]
* "When Is Direct Military Intervention Not Direct Military Intervention?" (2016-09-30, fair.org) [archive.is/AWVd4]
* "Hysteria at UN Betrays Western Terror Sponsors" (2016-09-27, by Finian Cunningham) [archive.is/KCJua]
* "US Caught Using Banned Chemical Weapon In Iraq – Again" (2016-09-29, by Whitney Webb) [archive.is/EfAYb]
* "Do they 'Hate our Freedom', or do they Hate our Foreign Policy?"
* "Jaafari to Schiller Institute: ISIL Has Been There for Centuries" (2016-09-16, syrianews.cc) [archive.is/3Tzns] [begin excerpt]:
Bremer Does the Dirty Work -
After the invasion of Iraq, the United Nations, under the pressure of Tony Blair and George Bush at that time, sent what we call an investigation commission, called UNSCOM, headed by a Swede, Hans Blix, a scientist, to find the weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. The purpose was to show to the so-called international community that the invasion of Iraq was based on facts! There are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, and we’ve got to find them and show them to the international community!
So they formed this commission of investigation and sent it to Iraq. Of course, when I say “commission,” it’s about hundreds of people all paid off using Iraqi government funds, the Iraqi assets frozen by the United Nations. Billions of dollars were spent on the activities of this commission, at the expense of the Iraqi people. This commission spent—how long? — from 2003 and even before, up to 2008; in 2008 it was about to close the file, because the lie had become too big to swallow.
So they gathered the Security Council and asked the commission to submit its final report. But the funny part of this story is that this final report doesn’t include any hint that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. But the commission wouldn’t be able to say that “Sorry Gentlemen, members of the Security Council, we haven’t found anything in Iraq.” That would run against the mainstream propaganda spread by George Bush and Tony Blair at that time.
So everybody was cornered in the Security Council: They need to shut down the file! Because it had become too costly, and it is time to put an end to all this story. What to do?
They gathered a meeting of the Security Council—at midnight. Midnight. There was nobody, except the fifteen members of the Security Council. In a few minutes, the president gavelled the meeting to order, and said, “We endorse the report of the commission”—without saying anything—whether they found something or didn’t find something. The issue is dead.
Now: What to do with the archives of the commission? The archives, a big scandal. The Council decided—ladies and gentlemen, listen to me carefully—to put the entire archives in iron cages, fire resistant, with locks, digital locks for which only the Secretary General knows the code. That was Number 1. Number 2: These locked cages will not be reopened until 60 years from now. [Audience groans.] I’m sure you haven’t heard this story. Nobody will tell you this story. This is what happened. This is how they killed the investigation about why Iraq was invaded! And now, none of us in this room will be able to wait 60 years to disclose that a big lie took place at that time. It will be too late to bring those responsible, accountable, to justice. There will be no George Bush; there will be no Tony Blair.
There will be three million Iraqis killed; one million Iraqi widows; millions of Iraqis without fathers; millions of Iraqi refugees in the world. And the whole of Iraq is destroyed!
And, hundreds of billions of dollars—the Iraqi assets overseas—have gone. Evaporated. Like the $800 million of Libya. Nobody knows where this money is. The $800 million—this is Libya alone.
The result of the invasion of Iraq was the killing of millions of civilians as I said, destroying the infrastructure, and having a failed state there. And more important, transforming Iraq into a hub of international jihadist terrorism.
I am saying this because all of the so-called ISIL, all of them, grew up in the American jails in Iraq. All of them. They were taken care of by the American soldiers in Iraq: So they knew them, how dangerous they are, and they didn’t deal with them accordingly. Why? Because Mr. Bremer was insisting on dividing Iraq on a confessional, sectarian, religious basis. The Iraqis lived side by side for thousands of years, until Mr. Bremer came, and found out that they shouldn’t continue like this. We’ve got to divide the country, we’ve got to give a part to the Sunni, then a part to the Shi’a, then a part to the Kurds, another part to the Assyrians, and so on. Doesn’t that amount to saying the Iraqis were duped and stupid for living side by side for thousands of years before Bremer came?
Today, and after six years, my country, Syria, is still suffering from the fiercest terrorist war in the modern history of humanity. This unprecedented barbarian war reflects the bitter fact that terrorism is still being privileged with safe havens, money resources, some well-known government support, and the growth of terrorist ideologies and shelters around the world. Why do I say this? Because it wouldn’t be that easy for a terrorist to leave Sydney, Australia, to take a flight to,— to change the flight three times, get five visas—Thailand visa, Indonesian visas, a Cambodian visa, whatever—and then find himself at Istanbul airport in Turkey. Then, a group of people would come to welcome him upon his arrival, and escort him to the Turkish border with Syria. Then somebody would give him money and weapons, and facilitate his entry into Syria. [end excerpt]
* "German Politician to Sputnik: 'US Pulling Us Into Abyss of War in Middle East' ; How has the situation on the ground in Syria changed after a year of Russian military involvement? Speaking to Sputnik, veteran German politician Willy Wimmer suggested that it has demonstrated that Russia is the only major power ready to seriously fight terrorism, and to call for an end to a war which risks spreading across the region" (2016-10-01, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/9qWS2]
* "Pentagon decides to officially support Al Qaeda in Syria. Sets up 'exclusion zones' to shoot down Syrian and Russian jets; The US is willing to risk war with Russia to protect Al Qaeda jihadists" (2016-08-23, theduran.com) [archive.is/L7FhB]
* "The Situation In Syria Is Very, Very Dangerous" (2016-09-30, by Mike Krieger) [is.gd/1e99A6]
* "Direct aggression by US against Damascus to cause 'tectonic shift' in Middle East - Moscow" (2016-10-01, rt.com) [archive.is/kN7yn]
* "Russia's Syria Operation Set Stage to Ending War, But US Would Have None of It; Respected Austrian historian, journalist and publisher Hannes Hofbauer suggests that the Russian operation in Syria has completely changed the situation in the country in the space of a year, creating a real opportunity to reach a comprehensive peace. Unfortunately, he added, the US and its allies just couldn't leave well enough alone" (2016-09-29, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/2WhBF]
* "Do the Alawites deserve genocide?" (2015-05-08, Al-Jazeera Arabic) [youtube.com/watch?v=ULtNYSUqYHw]
* "A plan for winding down the Syrian Civil War: Surge, freeze, and enforce" (2016-09-30, Charles Lister, warontherocks.com) [archive.is/l3nrj]
* "Coverage of the Syrian war: one of the most shameful episodes in the history of the U.S. press" (2016-02-23, by Stephen Kinzer, bostonglobe.com) [archive.is/LXxqN], text [archive.is/CTWWB]
* "Most Syrians back President Assad, but you'd never know from western media; Assad's popularity, Arab League observers, US military involvement: all distorted in the west's propaganda war" (2012-01-17, by Jonathan Steele, for theguardian.com) [archive.is/Lkx7q]
* "SYRIA: THE U.S. PROPAGANDA SHAMS NOW OPENLY FAIL" (2016-09-30, southfront.org) [archive.is/QI4xH]
* "Journey To Aleppo: Exposing The Truth Buried Under NATO Propaganda" (2016-09-20, by Vanessa Beeley, mintpressnews.com)
- part 1: "The Syrian people are suffering under the ‘moderate rebels’ and ‘opposition forces’ backed by the US, NATO member states and their allies in the Gulf states and Israel. Yet their suffering is largely ignored in the mainstream media unless it furthers the agenda dictated by the State Department" [archive.is/uzino]
- part 2 "The Syria Civil Defense & Aleppo Medical Association Are Real Syrians Helping Real Syrians; Vanessa Beeley meets with members of the Syria Civil Defense and the Aleppo Medical Association, who shed more light on the mainstream media lies distorting the public’s perception of what’s really happening in Syria" [archive.is/ePfMA]
* "Why Is Washington Supporting Fundamentalist Jihadis in Syria? A CIA-backed rebel group has joined with Al Qaeda in attacking another rebel force—the one leading negotiations in Geneva" (2016-05-16, thenation.com) [archive.is/1BkFN]
* "How the U.S. armed-up Syrian jihadists" (2016-09-29, consortiumnews.com) [archive.is/rJdoy]
* "Media Blacks Out Pentagon Report Exposing U.S. Role In ISIS Creation; The report proved that the growth and expansion of ISIS was a direct result of arms being sent by the U.S. to anti-Assad Islamists, with the strategic U.S. intention of toppling the Assad regime in Syria" (2015-06-03, by Jay Syrmopoulos) [archive.is/WHhfG]
* "Conflict of interest between White House & Pentagon is why Syrian ceasefire failed – Assad adviser" (2016-09-29, rt.com) [archive.is/iTvYQ]
* "US admits not targeting Nusra, blames Moscow for own failure to separate ‘moderates’ from terrorists" (2016-10-01, rt.com) [archive.is/F0flc]
* "Russia Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov tells BBC that US Plan B ‘was to spare Al Nusra’ in Syria; Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told the BBC that the US is trying to spare jihadist groups in its attempts to overthrow Syria's Bashar al-Assad" (2016-09-30, theduran.com) [archive.is/iAVBB]
* "Syria ‘White Helmets’ Exposed" (2016-04-30, by Vanessa Beeley, 21stcenturywire.com) [archive.is/DTLIX]
* "The Syria White Helmets Exposed as US UK Agents Embedded with Al Nusra and ISIS" (2016-04-29, by Vanessa Beeley) [youtube.com/watch?v=5k6hSS6xBTw]
* "Syria White Helmets: Humanitarians or "Executioners"?" (2016-05-20, UK Column) [youtube.com/watch?v=IVVAmJ-NVN4]: In this UK Column News special, Mike Robinson speaks to Vanessa Beeley about Syria's "first responder" group, the White Helmets who are being pushed forward for nomination for a Nobel Peace Prize. Do they deserve it?
* "DO NOT GIVE 2016 NOBEL PEACE PRIZE TO SYRIAN WHITE HELMETS" petition (retrieved 2016-09-28, change.org) [archive.is/sKY8M], note: This petition was censored and has since being archived been taken offline without explanation.
* "White Helmets should NOT be Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize ~ Open Letter from Hamilton Coalition to Stop War" (2016-09-26, by Vanessa Beeley, via 21stcenturywire.com) [archive.is/SZp8Z]
* "Syria White Helmet Savagery Hand in Hand with Nusra Front aka Al Qaeda" (2016-09-30, by Vanessa Beeley, via 21stcenturywire.com) [archive.is/kGfCZ], attached video [youtube.com/watch?v=56xTAYp6zz0], Please note: The first White Helmet operative who attacks the prisoner is wearing white gloves, the hands that pull down the prisoner’s shirt to reveal his tattoo are wearing white gloves. It is a White Helmet “saviour” that is manhandling and exposing a civilian to vicious retribution from Nusra Front extremists.
[begin excerpt]: In this video we see the White Helmet “saints” alongside Al Nusra Front terrorist platoon as they invade Idlib in March 2015. Here they have taken a prisoner and are dragging him to the main square. He is handcuffed and visibly terrified. One of the White Helmets, in full uniform, approaches the prisoner who is surrounded by Nusra Front armed fighters, and this White Helmet humanitarian attacks the prisoner from behind. Other White Helmet operatives are menacingly, circling the prisoner mingled with Nusra Front terrorist militia. We then see the prisoner having his shirt pulled open to reveal a tattoo on his chest that reads, “Bashar, Hafez”. Then we see a group of White Helmet workers join the throng of Nusra Front savages who are yelling and pushing the prisoner. The crowd move towards waiting cars, and the White Helmets are among them. [end excerpt]
* "Netflix and Al-Qaeda working together to promote The White Helmets as hero group; Netflix in bed with Al Qaeda in Syria?" (2016-10-03, theduran.com) [archive.is/ESURi]
* "Al-Nusra Shariah spokesperson endorses White Helmets as mujahideen" (2016-10-01, almasdarnews.com) [archive.is/gifsD]: In the latest video, an al-Nusra spokesman endorses the Nobel Peace prize candidates, the White Helmets, as mujahideen. Watch [youtube.com/watch?v=VuNW00GjRKk].
Abdallah Muhammad al Muhaysini, is a popular Saudi cleric who has relocated to Syria illegally and became the Army of Conquests Shariah Court spokesperson.
The White Helmets are seen as humanitarians, but the relationship between them and internationally recognised terrorist groups like al-Nusra is ignored.
Abdullah Muhaysni says the White Helmets "are no different from the Mujahideen".
In an interview with the Swiss Islamic Central Council, he said, “I was an admirer of al-Qaeda in Iraq and the Islamic State of Iraq.".
* * (2016-10-02, Vanessa Beeley) [archive.is/zKyFg]: London protesters call for war in Syria. No Fly Zone is a call for the genocide of the Syrian people. Level of ignorance is staggering, level of bloodshed caused by this ignorance is heartbreaking Get the UK govt and the US, EU, Turkey, Gulf States, Israel... to clear the hell out of Syria and take its filthy vermin, terrorist gangs with it.
* "Syrian Al-Qaeda Commander: US Forces Are Arming Us In Syria; The State Department admitted that the Nusra Front could be receiving U.S. arms via allied nations, and it’s not the first time the U.S. or its allies have been accused of aiding extremist groups in Syria" (2016-09-29, mintpressnews.com) [archive.is/uF0pN]
* (2016-09-29, facebook.com/MintpressNewsMPN) [archive.is/dZLMy]:
* "Interview with Al Nusra; 'The Americans are on our side' " (2016-09-26, by Jürgen Todenhöfer, ksta.de), machine translated, page 1 [archive.is/fNyKf], page 2 [archive.is/m07ko], photos by Frederic Todenhöfer, captions:
- Jürgen Todenhöfer talking to the commander of the Al-Qaeda branch "Jabhat Al Nusra"
- Here is the interview took place with the commander.
Watch the interview [https://archive.org/details/InterviewWithAlNusraTheAmericansAreOnOurSide201609]
* Official transcript for the interview (2016-09-26, posted at facebook.com/JuergenTodenhoefer), in the original German [is.gd/xxkipQ], and translated by the journalist into English [is.gd/mtSNCX], journalist Juergen Todenhoefer (photo) is noted as JT, and the commander of Nusra Front as NF:
- [NF]: We are part of Al Qaida. Our principles are: Fighting vice, honesty and security. Our issues and our pathway have changed. For example, we are now granted support by Israel, because isarel is at war with Syria and the Hisbollah.
America has also changed its opinion about us. Originally the IS and us were one group. But the IS was soon used for the political goals of the big states such as America. And steered away from our principals. We have realised that most of their leaders work together with secret services. We, the “Al Nusra-Front”, know our direction. They used to be with us, they used to be our support.
Our aim is the removal of the dictatorial regime, of the tyranny, of the regime of the apostates. Our aim is also the execution of conquests, like (the famous Arabic commander) Khaled Ben Al Walid did. First in the Arabic world, then in Europe.
- [JT]: What is the relation like between you and the USA? Does the USA support the rebels?
- [NF]: Yes, the USA support the opposition, but not directly. They support the countries that support us. However, we are still not satisfied with this support. They should support us with highly developed weapons.
We won the fights thanks to the “TOW” rockets. With those rockets we have achieved equilibrium with the regime.
We received the tanks from Lybia via Turkey. Also the multiple rocket launching systems.
The regime outdoes us only with their tactical aircrafts, rockets and rocket launchers.
We have captured some of their rocket launchers and received a lot from abroad.
But because of the TOW we are able to keep the situation under control in many areas
- [JT + Übersetzer]: Whom did the USA give the rockets before they were brought to you? Did the USA initially give them to the Free Syrian Army and did they pass them along to you?
- [NF]: No, the rockets were given to us directly. They were delivered to a specific group. When the “Road” was blocked and we were under siege, we had officers from Turkey, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Israel and America here.
- [JT]: What did those officers do?
- [NF]: Experts! They were experts for the use of satellites, rockets, training and thermal security cameras
- [JT]: Did you also have American experts?
- [NF]: Experts from a variety of countries.
- [JT]: Also Americans?
- [NF]: Yes. The Americans are on our side, but not as it should be.
For example, we were told the following: We have to capture and seize the “Bataillon 47”. We received 500 Million (Syrian Pound) from Saudi Arabia. For the seizure of the infantry school in “Al Muslimiya“ years ago, we received 1,5 Million Kuwaiti dinar from Kuwait and 5 Million dollars from Saudi Arabia.
- [JT]: From the governments or from private individuals?
- [NF]: From the governments.
- [JT]: The fight is difficult, the regime is strong and receives support from Russia…
- [NF]: We will fight until the fall of the regime. We will fight Russia and the West, since the West is not on our side. The west just sends us Mujahedin and makes it easier for those fighters. But why does the West not support us properly?
We have many fighters from Germany, France, Great Britain, America, from all the western countries.
- [JT]: You have fighters from Europe in Aleppo amongst the “Al Nusra-Front”?
- [NF]: Many, many, many!
- [JT]: How many?
- [NF]: Many.
- [JT]: What do you think about the seize-fire?
- [NF]: We don’t accept the seize-fire. We will reorganise our group. We will execute an overwhelming attack against the regime in the next few days.
We have regrouped our fighting forces in all provences, in Homs, Aleppo, Idlib and Hama.
- [JT]: You don’t want the aid deliveries of 40 trucks for the Eastern part of Aleppo?
- [NF]: We have demands: As long as the regime stays present along the Castello Road in Al Malah and in the northern territories, we will not let these trucks in.
The regime has to pull out of all these territories, in order for us to let the trucks in. If a truck enters despite this, we will arrest the driver.
- [JT]: Why have some of your troops withdrawn a kilometre or 500 metres away from the Castello Road?
- [NF]: The regime has used highly developed weapons agains us. We suffered a setback. Hence we have quietly withdrawn in order to recover and to attack the regime once again. But this time the attack must lead to the fall of the regime.
- [JT]: Was it a trick, a military tactic?
- [NF]: A military tactic, yes.
- [JT]: Was it the aim of this military tactic to gain food supplies or to regroup the fighters?
- [NF]: We did not agree with the seize-fire.
- [JT]: Is this only true for “Jabhat al Nusra” or also for the allies of “Jabhat al Nusra” here.
- [NF]: This is valid for all groups, who are our allies.
- [JT]: Islamic Front, Islamic Army?
- [NF]: They are all with us. We are all the “Al Nusra-Front”.
A group is formed and calls itself “Islamic Army” or “Fateh Al Scham“. Each group has its own name, but the belief is uniform. The overall name is “Al Nusra-Front”. (Jabhat al Nusra)
For example, one person has 2000 fighters. Then a new group is formed from there an calls itself “Ahrar Al Scham“. Brothers, whose faith, thoughts and aims are identical with the “Al Nusra-Front”.
- [JT]: Is that your own opinion or also the opinion of the leadership?
- [NF]: Das ist die allgemeine Meinung. Aber wenn ein Mensch zu Ihnen kommt und aus Dir einen 'moderaten Kämpfer' macht und Dir Essen und Trinken anbietet, akzeptieren Sie das oder nicht?
That is the general opinion. But when a person comes to you, makes you a “moderate fighter” and he offers you food and drink, would you accept or not?
- [JT]: In this war 450.000 people were killed. I have been to Aleppo and Homs. Many parts are destroyed. If the war continues, the whole country will be destroyed, millions will die. … in Germany we once had the “Thirty years war”…
- [NF]: We have only been at war for 5 years. That is not long, in comparison.
- [JT]: Would you accept someone form the Assad-regime in an interim government?
- [NF]: We do not accept anyone from the Assad regime or from the Free Syrian Army, who is called a moderate.
Our aim is the fall of the regime and the foundation of an Islamic State.
- [JT]: The people from Alloush, who travelled to the negotiations in Geneva, are negotiating about an interim government.
- [NF]: There are mercenaries in Syria, Alloush fights with “Al Nusra-Front”.
The group, that was housed in Turkey and which was turned into the Free Syrian army, used to be part of “Al Nusra-Front”. These people are weak human beings, they received a lot of money, they have sold themselves, they have to follow the orders of their financial supporters.
- [JT]: The “Islamic Army” and the “Islamic Front” are negotiating in Geneva.
- [NF]: Because their leaders were produced in the West. They are paid and looked after by the Western secret services and the secret services of the Gulf States, in order to implement the goals of those countries.
- [NF]: We are here at the very first observation point of the territory of “Sheikh Said“.
This area is under our control. The soldiers of the regime are behind the houses and in Al Majbal. Our fighting forces are 200 metres away from here.
* "Hospitals still ‘part of the battlefield’ 1yr after US airstrike on MSF facility in Afghanistan" (2016-10-03, rt.com) [archive.is/Bvmpn]
* "DPR Army Showed American Weapon Captured From UAF" (2016-10-02, tvzvezda.ru, translated by Ollie Richardson) [archive.is/LUtnB]: Fighters from the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic showed American weapons taken from captured UAF soldiers. The video, in which the fighter with the call sign Texas examines the captured machine gun, was published on the YouTube channel of Anna News agency [youtube.com/watch?v=OMHd3A3P2s4].
According to the volunteer in the video, the “Kalashnikov” gun that is shown was found with the mechanic-driver of a UAF tank, which was destroyed in the battle in Zaitsevo. Texas first talks about the combat situation, and after the shows the captured weapon.
The ammunition cartridges to the machine gun have the inscription “Made in the USA”. In addition, the weapon is fitted with a compensator from the American M-16 assault rifle.
It is assumed that this machine gun was produced in the Russia and delivered to USA, where it fell into the hands of UAF soldiers.
* "Saudi-Led UN Human Rights Council Declines Inquiry Into Saudi Abuses In Yemen; Senior U.N. officials have seen the Yemeni issue as a test of the council's credibility after it also backed away a year ago from launching an independent inquiry" (2016-09-30, mintpressnews.com) [archive.is/bzYXx]
* "Venezuela's Foreign Minister Says 70 US Bases in Region Must Go; Venezuela's foreign minister called on Latin America to unite to defend sovereignty and development" (2016-09-29, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/8kvhK]
* "Jamie Foxx Wooes Venezuelan Strongman Who Starves His Own People" (2016-10-05, panampost.com) [archive.is/5v3KS], (comment by Gunnar Angeles):
What misleading and inflammatory headline.
PanAm Post must be like Fox News Latino or Gusano Times because they are pandering hard for the comprador bourgeoisie in Latin America screaming for US imperialist intervention against their democratically elected president.
US imperialism has been trying to undermine Venezuela since Chavez was elected in order to prevent Bolivarianism from spreading across Latin America because it directly challenged US imperialist hegemony.
The PSUV administration doesn't, "Starve it's own people" since food production and distribution still remains predominantly privatized. It's the ruling class, with support from US imperialism, that's encouraging the right-wing opposition to hoard food supplies to deliberately sabotage the economy according to the CIA playbook to prepare for regime change as they did in Chile when US imperialism supported Pinochet's coup d'etat against the democratically elected Allende.
Venezuela has every right to resist US imperialism and preserve it's independence and sovereignty. The vast majority of the Venezuelan people support their democratically elected president and won't allow Obama, Hillary or possibly even Trump to continue undermining their nation and claiming it to be a, "National Security Threat to the US" when it's clearly the other way around.
* "Exposed: ‘Revolving door’ between British govt and arms dealers" (2016-09-30, rt.com) [archive.is/aIo0o]
* "BAE to begin work on UK’s multi-billion pound nuclear fleet" (2016-10-01, rt.com) [archive.is/fLsM8]
* "Tony Blair ‘nearly quit as PM to pursue EU presidency’ – former communications chief" (2016-09-30, rt.com) [archive.is/GUqyg]
* "Key US drone hub in Africa doubles in price to $100mn – report" (2016-09-20, rt.com) [archive.is/9cPOf]
* "Drone wars - Somalia: reported US covert actions 2001-2015" (2012-02-22, thebureauinvestigates.com) [archive.is/q1cYk]
* "Back in Somalia, With al Qaeda’s Connection More Clear" (2007-01-09, thelede.blogs.nytimes.com) [archive.is/G9VUb]
* "Bin Laden advised Somali militants on 'good governance' " (2012-07-02, bbc.com) [archive.is/tiBGO]
* " ‘They Will Kill Us’: Afghan Translators Plead for Delayed U.S. Visas" (2016-08-09, nytimes.com) [archive.is/FJPsy]
* " 'Blood and Fire and Slaughter': Critics Remember Dark Legacy of Shimon Peres; For many, death of former Israeli prime minister triggers memories of a 'war criminal' not a 'peacemaker' " (2016-09-28, commondreams.org) [archive.is/ei53a]
* "Shimon Peres was no peacemaker. I’ll never forget the sight of pouring blood and burning bodies at Qana; Peres said the massacre came as a ‘bitter surprise’. It was a lie: the UN had repeatedly told Israel the camp was packed with refugees" (2016-09-28, independent.co.uk) [archive.is/nSIln]
* " ‘I stopped Netanyahu from catastrophic attack on Iran’ – Peres’ statement concealed ‘til death" (2016-10-01, rt.com) [archive.is/H9rQD]
* "Peres bombshell: I stopped an Israeli strike on Iran; 'Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and defense minister Ehud Barak were pushing ahead with their plans to attack Iran' " (2016-09-30, jpost.com) [archive.is/Iawd1]
* "Russian activists propose BRICS-based group for protection of journalists" (2016-09-29, rt.com) [archive.is/9WLKA]
* "EU-Russia ExoMars mission all set to enter planetary orbit in October – Roscosmos head" (2016-09-30, rt.com) [archive.is/Us1Hh]
The history of Colombia resembles other USA-backed regimes across Latin America, where oligarchs use the USA to get support for schemes of genocide and social cleansing, kicking people off their sovereign land to be handed over to transnational corporations chartered in the USA, etc.
In Colombia, thousands of lives have been lost, and many are saved by their own Colombian People's Army, the FARC-EP.
There having been over 100,000 politically motivated executions on behalf of the USA-backed government over Colombia against activists and labor unions, the FARC-EP's peace treaty deserves a lot of support as it may yet save lives as they are the protectors of those suffering in Colombia against USA-trained death squads, and the FARC has support from MILLIONS of Colombians.
Watch and leanr the real facts about the "Civil War" in Colombia:
* "U.S. Interests and the Colombian Peace Talks" (by Juan Sebastian Chavarro, Research Associate at the Council on Hemispheric Affairs, coha.org) (.pdf) [is.gd/DEbw1j], with analysis on the role of USA in disrupting and confronting the Peace Talks to end the Civil War in Colombia, in concert with "right wing" factions of the economic dictatorship who fund "right wing" death squads trained by government police and military who are, in turn, themselves trained by the USA security and military agencies, with poitically motivated deaths recorded to number in the tens of thousands a year by the USA-backed militias against non-belligerents being forced off their land by the "right wing" Oligarchs.
* "Did Human Rights Watch Sabotage Colombia’s Peace Agreement? Like the country’s far right, HRW wanted to send human-rights violators to prison more than it wanted to end the war" (2016-10-03, thenation.com) [archive.is/zS2sT]
* "NGOS: GRASSROOTS EMPOWERMENT OR TOOL OF INFORMATION WARFARE?" (2016-10-01, southfront.org) [archive.is/86PDg] [begin excerpt]: During the early phases of the post-Cold War “New World Order,” NGOs were touted as representing a new wave of international politics. Instead of allowing international issues to be settled in closed meetings, the people themselves, informed by intrepid citizen journalists, would from now on play the key role in setting the agenda. Like most of the promises made in the 1990s, this one also failed to deliver. It became clear that many NGOs, far from representing the “grass roots” of politics, were more akin to the artificial grass-like stadium surface known in the US as “astroturf”. It may look and even, to a degree, feel like the genuine article, but it most certainly is not. Many NGOs, while presenting a public image of bottom-up activism, were funded by major corporations or governments, which had the effect of depriving them of their independence and objectivity.
Given the success of NGOs as promoters of corporate interests, it did not take very long for them to begin to position themselves as independent, objective, and trustworthy sources of political information. Their appeal was largely based, once again, on the perception that the average NGO, or even a blog dealing with international affairs, is being implemented as a collection of concerned citizens engaged in unbiased news collection, analysis, and reporting. In that respect, they filled quite a large niche vacated by government spokesmen, news organizations, and intelligence services, all of which have been losing the public’s trust and which were no longer seen as objective.
Today, such fake NGOs as Bellingcat, White Helmets, Syria Observatory for Human Rights, plus a whole range of less well known bloggers and self-styled “open-source information” analysts, are no longer playing a supporting role in the ongoing information war that is an important component of hybrid wars. They have become the tip of the spear. These fake NGOs are now playing a leading role in what US military doctrine refers to as “shaping the information battlefield” within the “Full Spectrum Dominance” agenda. [end excerpt]
BAY AREA PEACE COUNCIL: New Cold War News
* "Moscow ‘keeps in mind’ US readiness to use nukes, prepared for ‘countermeasures’ " (2016-09-30, rt.com) [archive.is/84l0C]
* "Russian FM spox: US talk of ‘attacks in Russia, body bags, downing jets’ sounds like ‘get ’em’ call" (2016-09-29, rt.com) [archive.is/ZfMaO]
* "Clinton: Russia and China will 'pay price' for supporting Assad" (2012-07-06, rt.com) [archive.is/HSxI1]
* "US BACKS REPORT THAT RUSSIAN MISSILE DOWNED MH17" (2016-09-28, AP Newswire) [archive.is/gbNsu]
* "Four MH17 questions – the answers to which prove the Dutch police, Ukrainian secret service and U.S. government are faking the evidence of the MH17 shootdown" (2016-09-30, johnhelmer.net) [archive.is/8ukQZ]
* "Troubling gaps in the new report of the MH-17 crash" (2016-09-28, by Robert Parry, consortiumnews.com) [archive.is/v5wDi]
* "Russian server co. head on DNC hack: ‘No idea’ why FBI still has not contacted us" (2016-10-02, rt.com) [archive.is/xQpAS]
* "NSA whistleblower says DNC hack was not done by Russia, but by U.S. intelligence; NSA has all of Clinton's "deleted" emails" (2016-08-01, theduran.com) [archive.is/kavU5]
* "US Blocks Russia’s Statement at UNSC on Embassy Shelling in Syria; The United States blocked at the United Nations Security Council Russia’s statement on the shelling of its embassy in Damascus" (2016-10-05, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/cxAxm]
* "Russia ends treaty limiting plutonium production in response to US escalation of hostility" (2016-10-03, translated by J. Arnoldski for fort-russ.com) [archive.is/4ySgo], sources:
(topwar.ru) [archive.is/bNi3a], (newsru.com) [archive.is/OfiFc], (lenta.ru) [archive.is/K7jC7]
BAY AREA PEACE COUNCIL: New Cold War News - NATO Watch
* "NATO uses alleged 'Russian threat' as a 'marketing tool' " (2016-09-28, dninews.com) [archive.is/ETMnW]: NATO generals are using the alleged "Russian threat" as a marketing tool to promote their brand, while fully realizing that Russia won't start a war first, Russian experts say.
According to Alexei Mukhin, Director General of the Center for Political Information, NATO's representatives are using aggressive statements because they act as marketing specialists who monitor the main trends on the market and change their "product" accordingly, reports Sputnik.
"NATO is developing according to the laws of the market. On the one hand, it is a bureaucratic organization, which requires considerable resources, and on the other hand, it is a kind of a showcase used to promote NATO's products and its brand, arms and engineering services, which are being imposed on other countries," he said..
Along with other experts, Mukhin prepared a special report on NATO's capacities and plans, which analyzed NATO's activities over the last 50 years as well as the trends in the alliance's development.
"We have serious concerns that Western politicians no longer have any limits and turn certain facts and the chronology of events upside down; it adjusts its virtual reality to fit its concept of Russian aggression and the peaceful nature of NATO," Mukhin said.
"It's no accident that NATO has chosen Russia as its aggressive opponent: Russia's doctrinal documents and an analysis of its behavior indicate that Russia will never start [a war] first, and it lets NATO off the hook," the expert noted.
For his part, Director General of the Center for Strategic Studies and Forecasts Sergey Grinyaev said that NATO's military operations do not meet the declared objectives of the alliance. "Almost all of them, except for humanitarian aid missions to victims of the earthquake in Pakistan, turned out to be a failure," the expert stated.
BAY AREA PEACE COUNCIL: Weapons for a New World Order
* "Nervous system manipulation by electromagnetic fields from monitors (US 6506148 B2)" (filed 2001-06-01, via google.com/patents) [archive.is/zYhT1], abstract: Physiological effects have been observed in a human subject in response to stimulation of the skin with weak electromagnetic fields that are pulsed with certain frequencies near ½ Hz or 2.4 Hz, such as to excite a sensory resonance. Many computer monitors and TV tubes, when displaying pulsed images, emit pulsed electromagnetic fields of sufficient amplitudes to cause such excitation. It is therefore possible to manipulate the nervous system of a subject by pulsing images displayed on a nearby computer monitor or TV set. For the latter, the image pulsing may be imbedded in the program material, or it may be overlaid by modulating a video stream, either as an RF signal or as a video signal. The image displayed on a computer monitor may be pulsed effectively by a simple computer program. For certain monitors, pulsed electromagnetic fields capable of exciting sensory resonances in nearby subjects may be generated even as the displayed images are pulsed with subliminal intensity.
BAY AREA PEACE COUNCIL: Articles reflecting the views of war planners
* "NEVER ALONE: LET’S RETIRE THE WORD 'ISOLATIONISM' " (2016-05-18, warontherocks.com) [archive.is/Npnu1]
* "Can Fancy Bear be stopped? The Clear and Present Danger of Russian Info Ops; Russia is engaged in an unprecedented, sophisticated attack on the American political system. Defeating it won’t be easy" (2016-09-29, by Joshua Foust, warontherocks.com) [archive.is/FUGBw]
* "The Centaur and the Cavalry: A future battle on NATO’s Eastern Flank; To make the most of cutting-edge computers on the battlefield, be prepared to ask the right questions" (2016-09-29, by Theodore Zagraniski, warontherocks.com) [archive.is/GXlCd]
USA Homeland's resident nations:
Nations exist alongside the Federal [archive.is/VXoPR], and State governance [archive.is/Cz2uF]. Demographic maps: 2000 [archive.is/nXHXz], 2010 [archive.is/nKbSA], religion [archive.is/XArBS]. The New Afrikan nation, and the nation of Nueva Aztlan, each have their own separate sections on this news page.
Sovereign nations of the "Indian Country", and of traditional lodges.
Map [archive.is/s4FYb]; News [indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com] [bsnorrell.blogspot.com]
* "Media Silent As Major Pipeline Spills While Protests Against North Dakota Pipeline Continue" (2016-09-29, Brianna Acuesta via trueactivist.com) [archive.is/L8s7f]
* "Military-Style Raid Ends Native Prayer Against Dakota Pipeline; Up to 21 people were arrested during a peaceful prayer service" (2016-09-28, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/32rOJ]
* (2016-09-28) [archive.is/BxMaw]:
USA Homeland's resident nations:
American Nation, including the State Sovereignty campaigns, and Dominionist Campaigns. [tenthamendmentcenter.com]
* "Racist Social Media Users Have A New Code To Avoid Censorship; New code words hide slurs from social platforms, and many tweets using them express support for Donald Trump" (2016-10-01, buzzfeed.com) [archive.is/oyAGK]
* "Polson High School in Montana" (2016-10-01, facebook.com/shaunking) [is.gd/jBvEOF]:
* "This Local Candidate Loves Posting Racist Facebook Memes, And He's Not Alone; As political candidates go, Dan Johnson is about as off-the-radar as they come" (2016-10-01, attn.com) [archive.is/pdI8K], photo with Donald Trump [archive.is/8ydk2].
Northbay Uprising FM Radio News is broadcast courtesy of 89.5 FM-KZCT [OzcatRadio.com]
On Ozcat Radio, tune-in online [is.gd/kJ1EUt] for:
- The Stranger News, broadcast Thursdays, 5 to 5:30pm, featuring latest news on science, technology, space, and cutting-edge research on the mind, world history, and entheogenics!
- The Northbay UpRising Morningshow, broadcast Tuesdays, 7 to 9am, with local news, and topics on Peace, the Ecology, Do-It-Yourself ideas, and Communitarianism!
- KBBF Weekly News, broadcast Tuesdays at 8:45pm, on the Northbay UpRising morningshow!
Also tune-in to these other radio shows!
* KZFR Peace and Social Justice Show