Tune in Thursdays 4 to 5pm (PST), at 89.5FM in the northeast San Pablo Bay Area, or online at [is.gd/kJ1EUt].
Hosted by Dr.G., Minister of Information of the Bay Area Movement for a People's Democracy (MPD)[peoplesdemocracybayarea.blogspot.com].
Be a Community Journalist with our Community Journalist's Notebook [link]. Send news & info to [PeoplesDemocracyBayArea@) gmail.com].
Archived webpages at (archive.org) and at (archive.is) are available even if the original is taken down. News links are provided for educational purposes only, and do not constitute an endorsement of political tendencies, or, of foreign governments. Circumvent "Error 451" [archive.is/WOZXx] by using the proxy server at [webproxy.to] or, by using Tor Browser [is.gd/r18EVD].
Stories are reviewed and provided by Bay Area MPD Committees and Affiliates
BAY AREA SOLIDARITY
Updates on campaigns for Peace, Justice, & Freedom across the greater Bay Area, Norcal, and Socal
* "Racist police murder Alfred Olango, attack protesters" (2016-09-30, liberationnews.org) [archive.is/SNwKj]
* "Police murder of Alfred Olango leads to militant march in San Diego demanding justice" (2016-10-02, liberationnews.org) [archive.is/DTxwf]
BAY AREA SOLIDARITY: Updates on campaigns across the Nation!
* "Dispatches from Charlotte", text and photos [archive.is/IaVDn]: This zine collects three accounts from the recent anti-police uprising in Charlotte, North Carolina and presents them in a zine/pamphlet form for easy reading and distribution. The accounts from the streets provide a much different and much more inspiring story than what can be gleaned from the mainstream media. (.pdf) [is.gd/s8xddb] from Sprout Distro (sproutdistro.com) [archive.is/dVKjg], including
* "REVOLT IN THE QUEEN CITY: PERSONAL ACCOUNTS FROM DAY 2 OF THE #CHARLOTTEUPRISING" (2016-09-25, via itsgoingdown.org) [archive.is/TWVPm]
* "REPORTBACK FROM THE CHARLOTTE UPRISING" (2016-09-23, via itsgoingdown.org) [archive.is/huWdk]
SOLANO PEACE & FREEDOM PARTY
Use the ballot for our own People's candidates and legislation, campaign for the future!
* "Native leader and vice presidential candidate Dennis Banks campaigns in CA" (2016-10-06, liberationnews.org) [archive.is/DMZCE]
TOWARDS REVOLUTIONARY SOLUTIONS
* "Solidarity Network or solidarity advice? On the challenges of building a Solidarity Network" (2016-10-01, blackrosefed.org) [archive.is/oKnTQ] [begin excerpt]: The Seattle Solidarity Network (SeaSol) is a “workers’ and tenants’ mutual support organization that fights for specific demands using collective direct action.” SeaSol has a dedication to direct action and emphasis on empowering workers and tenants, and they have a very high success rate. Given this, the “SeaSol Model” seems to embody an inspiring new mode of class struggle for the increasingly precarious—it is no wonder it has been exported all over the world and become a popular project for many, anarchists and other anti-capitalists in particular.
The 2011 pamphlet “Build Your Own Solidarity Network,” written by SeaSol members Cold B and T Barnicle details SeaSol’s strategy for taking on fights well. The pamphlet is online here [archive.is/wUn46]. [end excerpt]
* "Margot Honecker: 'Socialism is the only alternative for humanity' ; Concerning the counter-revolution in 1989 in the Geman Democratic Republic (GDR), the return of capitalist disorder after its demise, holding a scientific world outlook, and the struggle of the Greek people against the dictatorship of the monopolies" (by Antonis Polychronakis ) [archive.is/H9Pwa].
As opposed to our current capitalist political-economy that can produce an abundance, but enforces artificial scarcity in order to keep commodity prices up to yield more profit for private bureaucracies.
For any Capitalist who claims that Socialist Economy is bogus, I will just leave it here.
* "5 things Socialists will NEVER understand..." meme:
* and, a humble reply (Fabricio Schiavon Kolberg):
1) Tax-paid services means that society pays to keep something accessible to all its members, and while that doesn't equal "free", it definitely equals universal access, which is a good thing.
2) In that case, why do you let businessmen keep the fruits of the proletariat's labor?
3) You can, however, use taxes to grant economic justice and equality. Taxes are not what brings prosperity, it's the respect towards people's hard labor that does, and economic justice is the path to valuing the laborer.
4) The rich are, however, responsible for perpetuating the misery of their workforce, which they use as a coercitive measure to convince them to accept terrible working conditions. Their sheer economic power granted to them by the society in which they got rich, by the way, is more than enough to give them a much heavier social responsibility than that of the proletariat, and if they're going to continue existing, they should pay up accordingly.
5) Not a single socialist experience so far was allowed to reach the state of full communism due to greedy plutocrats always getting in the way.
Five things capitalists will never understand:
1) A market composed of selfish, profit-focused individuals will never lead to any satisfactory balance nor socially optilmal result.
2) Calling an unemployed poor person a "leech" for living off welfare while allowing the burgeoise to sit on a heap of cash created for them by the working class is nothing short from hypocrisy.
3) People almost never get rich without exploiting someone.
4) Desperate poor people in slave-like job contracts can't simply "just look for another job" that easily.
5) Neoliberalism leads to exploitation and inequality, always.
1) There's no such thing as a "free" market.
2) The burgeoise keeps the fruit of the proletariat's hard work all the time and no one bats an eye. Someone suggests redistributing wealth for the sake of social well being and everybody loses their minds.
3) A system composed of millions of selfish agents will never lead to balance and social optimality.
4) The rich are responsible for creating inequality and poverty when they see fit. It's much easier to convince people to work for meager crumbs when they're starving and homeless.
5) Neoliberalism is what happens when you let power-hungry people have it their way.
"It is easier to put a camel through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven." ~Jesus
SOLIDARITY WITH THE NEW AFRICAN NATION!
Black Power! Revive the Community! Defend the Nation!
National News [blackagendareport.com] [atlantablackstar.com] [sfbayview.com]
* "Seven Must-See East Bay Exhibits that Honor the Black Panther Party's Fiftieth Anniversary; From contemporary homages to ephemera that offer windows into the past" (2016-10-05, eastbayexpress.com) [archive.is/EIIoe]
* "Black Protest, White Backlash, And The History Of Scientific Racism" (2016-10-05, aaihs.org) [archive.is/a3dJJ]
* "Confirmed: NFL Losing Millions Of TV Viewers Because Of National Anthem Protests" (2016-10-07, forbes.com) [archive.is/KD2xQ], showing an indication of the prevalent racism among the NFL spectators, and reflecting the racism prevalent amongst the dominant culture against the People of the New African Nation.
* "Ben & Jerry’s declares support for Black Lives Matter, gets drubbing on social media" (2016-10-07, rt.com) [archive.is/bMEK7]
When thousands of Africans are murdered for political reasons and racism, there is censorship and apathy, proving again and again for the need of Black Power and Pan-African Unity.
* "Selective mourning" (2016-10-07) [is.gd/ApuXbS]
* "Vallejo teen found hanging from a park tree Thursday" (2016-10-06, timesheraldonline.com) [archive.is/tf8mj], was this a lynching? No hate message was found, nor indications on social media online...
* "'Hang the B*tch!' 'F*g!' 'N*gger!': Uncensored Rally Videos Expose Donald Trump's America" (2016-08-03, thenewcivilrightsmovement.com) [archive.is/JCdOv]
information collected by the Worker's Defense Committee [is.gd/VOkmLr]
* "Minnesota Nurse: After a Month on Strike, We’re Not Backing Down" (2016-10-06, labornotes.org) [archive.is/X58c4], photo caption: About 350 striking nurses and allies marched to the Securian Building in downtown St. Paul on October 5 to drive home their message to Securian CEO David Kuplic, an Allina board member.
* "Dining Workers Strike at Harvard, World's Richest University" (2016-10-05, labornotes.org) [archive.is/0ubiO], photo caption: 700 cafeteria workers at Harvard, the richest university in the world, are on strike for the first time in three decades.
* "How D.C. Drivers Put the Brakes on Unsafe Buses" (2016-10-06, labornotes.org) [archive.is/W3tcn], photo caption: Their contract campaign brought D.C. Circulator drivers' wages up to par with Metro drivers.
* "War on the docks! Chilean port struggles tour" (2016-10-07, blackrosefed.org) [archive.is/Thjwf][begin excerpt]: Join us in a speaking tour on the struggles and lessons of the Chilean port workers with Nelson Francino Valdes, an anarchist, dockworker, and president of the Federation of Portworkers of Iquique! Nelson has been involved in several of the most important struggles and strikes in Chile in recent years, including a month long national strike in 2014. He is in the US as Chile’s delegate to the International Dockworkers Council general assembly in Miami and is participating in a short national speaking tour organized by the Industrial Workers of the World and the Black Rose Anarchist Federation. [end excerpt]
information collected by the Committee to
DEFEND THOSE WITHOUT HOMES!
* "Freedom SleepOut #65 on Eve of ACLU Forum, Follows Salinas Shutdown of Flagpole Community" (2016-10-04, by Robert Norse) [is.gd/xgfwPE] [begin excerpt]:
OTHER STATES ADOPTING SLICKED-UP ANTI-HOMELESS DEVICES -
Media reports Marysville, WA (as distinguished from California's Marysville) has, like numerous other cities modified (or eliminated) its Camping Ban out of fear of lawsuit by federal or private parties. Denying those outside the right to sleep at night when there is no alternative shelter is a clear violation of the 8th Amendment of the Federal Constitution as "cruel and unusual punishment"--and more remarkably--is being increasingly recognized as such. This comes after a crackdown law last October [archive.is/p21JJ].
In a response pioneered by Miami and Fort Lauderdale FL anti-homeless bureaucrats nearly twenty years ago in the Pottinger case, Marysville, WA City Council moved to amend its camping ban to designate two "legal" spots [archive.is/gmly8].
This follows a crackdown by various cities in Washington state [archive.is/Y4jfk]. And a move to significantly liberalize passed last year in Vancouver, WA [archive.is/Ui0xv]. [end excerpt]
Documenting human-rights abuse by domestic security agencies
[NorthbayCopwatch.blogspot.com] [copblock.org] [wecopwatch.org] [filmingcops.com]
* "Video proves Sacramento PD executed man during mental health crisis" (2016-10-01, liberationnews.org) [archive.is/EWcwW]
* "Not a single NYPD officer wears a body camera" (2016-10-05, rt.com) [archive.is/pF4VB]
* "Severely beaten Chicago cop refused to shoot attacker, fearing ‘national news’ " (2016-10-07, rt.com) [archive.is/16j8n]
NORTHBAY COPWATCH: Domestic Security Agencies and private-sector partners
* "Police surveillance: The US city that beat Big Brother; Mass surveillance of citizens without their knowledge is on the rise in America. This is the story of how one city fought back - and is teaching others how to do the same" (2016-09-29, bbc.com) [archive.is/Mp2AK] [begin excerpt]:
Surveillance of ordinary citizens and protest groups - from the Black Panthers in the 1960s to Occupy Oakland in the 2000s - is nothing new in California's eighth largest city.
"Police-community relations in Oakland are terrible," says Ali Winston, a reporter with the East Bay Express. "They have been terrible for a long time."
But Winston and his colleague Darwin BondGraham were still not fully prepared for what they would discover in the summer of 2012, when they were going through court records and council papers.
Find us on Facebook
"We saw some things that raised questions. Why are they running fibre optic cables out there? That kind of thing," says BondGraham.
Winston recognised the name of a security company on a council agenda and knew immediately what they were dealing with - a Domain Awareness Centre.
Most cities, including Oakland, have cameras monitoring traffic intersections and public areas. But a Domain Awareness Centre, or DAC, is far more sophisticated. It is still based around a bank of screens, but the camera feeds are augmented by data from weather reports, shipping movements, social media chatter, email records, emergency calls and other data sources.
The port of Oakland had been given federal funds in 2008 to build a DAC as part of a post-9/11 push to protect critical infrastructure from terrorist attack.
At some point, the city council decided to extend the system to cover the whole of Oakland and its population of 400,000 people.
"The feeling from the port seemed to be, 'We are building these really cool systems, why don't we make them city-wide?'," says BondGraham.
Hundreds of new cameras would be installed across the city and data would be incorporated from from licence plate readers, gunshot-detection microphones, social media, and, in later phases, facial recognition software and programmes that can recognise people from the way they walk. [end excerpt]
* "Facial recognition tech set for NY bridges & tunnels ‘to fight terrorism’ " (2016-10-07, rt.com) [archive.is/uq0Qf]
* "CIA ‘Siren Servers’ can predict social uprisings 3-5 days in advance" (2016-10-07, sociable.co) [archive.is/D5jFv]
* "CIA claims ability to predict ‘societal instability’ just days away" (2016-10-07, rt.com) [archive.is/cInwH]
* "Breaking Point: America Is Approaching a Period of Disintegration; Anthropologist Peter Turchin's "Ages of Discord" provides a crucial decoder ring for Trump-era social strife" (2016-10-02, salon.com) [is.gd/0YDycK]
* "Still Crazy After All These Years: Psychiatric Lock-Down Returns To The US" (2016-10-05, by Janet Phelan) [archive.is/EpZjS]
* "A Digital Rumor Should Never Lead to a Police Raid" (2016-09-22, eff.org) [archive.is/HTzGB]
* "National Guard Used Helicopter To Raid 81-Year-Old’s Home And Seize A Marijuana Plant" (2016-10-06, by Carey Wedler) [archive.is/faJRO]
* "The CIA and Drugs: CIA-supplied trucks and mules, which had carried arms into Afghanistan, were used to transport opium to laboratories along the Afghan-Pakistan border. The output provided up to one half of the heroin used annually in the United States and three-quarters of that used in Western Europe" (2008-08-31, by William Blum) [archive.is/hGoWp]
* CIA Drug Trafficking Exposed by Political Prisoner [www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFEvd3v9_oM]
* "Google’s Jigsaw To Be Used To Undermine Alternative Media?" (2016-10-05, by Kurt Nimmo) [archive.is/tXriU], attached video [youtube.com/watch?v=g4RkiiW-gtc]: In this premier episode of The Geopolitical Report with Kurt Nimmo, we examine Google’s Jigsaw, an emerging technology that will be used on the internet to counter speech and ideas considered “extremist” by the global elite. Initially beta tested on radical Islamists, we demonstrate how Google and its partners plan to leverage the technology to marginalize and ultimately eliminate opposition to the establishment.
While not specifically related to homeland security, the following describes the routine practice by private-sector partners in interfering with ones personal information technology.
* "Don't Hide DRM in a Security Update; HP Promises to Restore Printers’ Functionality, But Questions Remain" (2016-09-28, eff.org) [archive.is/zgy2A]
* "What HP Must Do to Make Amends for Its Self-Destructing Printers" (2016-09-26, eff.org) [archive.is/8GpmA]
* "Bots vs. trolls: ‘Arguetron’ engages ‘internet bigots’ in hours-long fights on Twitter" (2016-10-07, rt.com) [archive.is/y4csM]
* "FEMA ordered 102,000 boxcars with shackles":
In a campaign by militant conservatives to place distrust in a federal system of government, fabricated "evidence" is provided describing how the USA Executive Branch is operating a system of prison boxcars ready for transit of masses of people [archive.is/GKEyo] [archive.is/yGj36] [archive.is/BxluV], [is.gd/5ymQeC].
A researcher attempts to verify the information [archive.is/z3tCf] and finds much of the cited facts to be fabricated. Also, see "San Francisco "FEMA trains" - a look inside!" (2009-10-09) [archive.is/OTVT7], in which a researcher tracks down a train depot that houses the boxcars, inspired by the articles concerning the "prison boxcars", and, yes, he found them.
Photographs of the "prison boxcars" are found at webpages of railroad enthusiasts, which describe them as Automax boxcars for the transportation of vehicles, photos [archive.is/9vXZP] [archive.is/QfjZa] [archive.is/EtjNb], also see "Chillicothe Depot" (trainweb.org) [is.gd/Rzg7ug].
While Federal contingency plans concerning rebellion in the homeland include the mass incarceration of entire cities, the most popular evidence for the existence of "prison boxcars" is, unfortunately, fabricated, and serves to discredit legitimate research into this topic.
NORTHBAY COPWATCH: International Security Agencies, the Five-Eyes, and transnational partners
On May 20, 1919 US cryptoanalysis is moved to New York City, to the so-called "Black Chamber". It was shut down in 1929 by U.S. Secretary of State Henry L. Stimson, who stated: "Gentlemen do not read each other’s mail". Later on May 20, 1949 all cryptologic activities in the United States were centralized under a national organization called the Armed Forces Security Agency (AFSA). President Harry Truman redesignated the AFSA as the National Security Agency (NSA).
About this photo: NSA's massive Utah data collection facility photographed from an airship late afternoon on June 2014.
* "N.S.A. Contractor Arrested in Possible New Theft of Secrets" (2016-10-03, nytimes.com) [archive.is/tFOlL]
The UKGB is a totalitarian state under complete surveillance...
* "BBC detector vans are back to spy on your home Wi-Fi – if you can believe it" (2016-08-06, theregister.co.uk) [archive.is/txTWK]
* "iPlayer CRACKDOWN: BBC deploys Wi-Fi detector vans to catch viewers without a TV licence; A NEW generation of Wi-Fi detecting vehicles will be able to spot which households are watching TV or BBC iPlayer online without a TV licence, and will play a key role in the latest crackdown by the BBC" (2016-08-08, express.co.uk) [archive.is/epgmX]
* "BBC responds to claims about how it's going to detect people using iPlayer without a licence; Broadcaster says claims that TV detection vans will capture data from private wi-fi networks are 'inaccurate' " (2016-08-08, independent.co.uk) [archive.is/vXT0m]
* "How will the BBC detect people watching iPlayer without a licence? As of September, you will need a TV licence to use the iPlayer, and the BBC has already had to deny that it plans to snoop on private Wi-Fi networks to catch non-payers – there are better, cheaper and less illegal ways to do so" (2016-08-08, theguardian.com) [archive.is/frVnE]
* "BBC iPlayer enforcers could ‘SPY’ on Brits to make sure they’ve paid the licence fee, it’s feared" (2016-09-01, thesun.co.uk) [archive.is/guAol]
* "You DON'T need a TV licence to watch iPlayer – if you follow these rules" (2016-09-28, mirror.co.uk) [archive.is/SWz0n]
* "Radicalization is ‘matter of few weeks,’ mosques key to process – German media" (2016-10-08, rt.com) [archive.is/gRL5a]
"If they can do it, so can we..."
* "Trojan tea-maker: FSB wiretaps top Russian investigator… with a samovar" (2016-10-08, rt.com) [archive.is/hWx6O]
from the Committee to
FREE 'EM ALL!
End the Drug War! Stop Jim Crow! Close the Torture Chambers! [solitarywatch.com] [facebook.com/incarceratedworkers] [supportprisonerresistance.noblogs.org] [denverabc.wordpress.com] [prisonlegalnews.org] [prisonbooks.info] [nycabc.wordpress.com] [powmedicaljustice.com] [sacprisonersupport.wordpress.com]. Become a Human Rights Pen Pal! [link].
* "October Political Prisoner Birthdays Poster" (Prison Books Collective, prisonbooks.info) [archive.is/dnSAo] [begin excerpt]:
Here is the political prisoner birthday poster for October (.pdf) [is.gd/fPbzgR].
It is also available in color! (.pdf) [is.gd/Nwg0rG]
Print it out and plaster your community, both in commemoration of these freedom fighters and to advertise locally for a political prisoner letter writing night. Get together with some friends in your town to send birthday cards to these fighters in our struggle. It’s an easy way to help remind them that they aren’t forgotten. If you make one, remember—don’t use anything like white-out, stickers, tape or glitter on it. We also recommend that you put a return name and address and their name and prisoner number on the card, lest the authorities “lose” the envelope and forget where it is going. If you would like to add a birthday or sign up for our poster mailing list (not a listserv, one email per month), or if you would like to contribute in another way to increasing the profile of US political prisoners, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure to check out the latest Political Prisoner/Prisoner Of War every-other week update (PDF) by the NYC-Anarchist Black Cross [nycabc.wordpress.com]. There are lots of important updates on many political prisoners. This one includes updates on Chelsea Manning, Mumia Abu-Jamal, and more (2016-09-27) (.pdf) [is.gd/Of6uCb]. [end excerpt]
* "Six Million Adults Who Won't Influence This Presidential Race; One in 40 Americans can't vote because of a criminal conviction. But the rules aren't exactly fair" (2016-10-07, by Matt Taibbi) [archive.is/rT8o1]
* "ACLU of Florida Statement on Release of The Sentencing Project’s Report on the Impact of Felon Disfranchisement Laws; National research organization updates view of discriminatory laws rooted in racist voter suppression schemes" (2016-10-07, aclu.org) [archive.is/2gNZF]
The Sentencing Project’s report 6 Million Lost Voters is available at [archive.is/3QKYF].
* "Victory! Gov. Brown Signs Bill to Overhaul California's Broken Gang Databases" (2016-09-28, eff.org) [archive.is/K2zez]
* "Judge wary of sending women to Brooklyn prison cited for 'unconscionable' conditions" (2016-10-07, rt.com) [archive.is/jHFEX]
* Prison Watch Network [prisonwatchnetwork.org]
Dedicated to gathering documentation directly from prisoners, from media and other sources about prisons and prisoners' human rights abuses
About the Prison Watch Network -
We are a small group of people who care for human rights. Our focus is mainly on human rights abuses inside prisons.
We aim to create more awareness with you about human rights and the lack of rehabilitation inside.
We also hope to show you that people in prison can be just as creative, intelligent as anyone outside, and that they need to have their voices heard as well.
If prisons are necessary, they should be places of restoring, healing the persons involved in crimes (victims and perpetrators). We oppose any prisons for profit, or any earning off crime.
We are not a legal organization. We are with only a few dedicated volunteers.
We endorse Restorative Justice and prevention from crimes in the first place by concentrating on better education, more personal mentoring, social justice, better care for the mentally ill, more community-building, to create a world where everyone is welcome and where everyone can grow. Everyone can participate by starting to bring about positive change in our own community and thereby in the world community.
We are with only a few dedicated volunteers. If you want to participate in one of our State- or topical blogs too, contact us and we will help establish for a blossoming Human Rights activity. We have a PrisonWatch weblog for each US State. We used to have the blogs all separate, but we have started to collect them into this one blog (well, except for Arizona, which is Peggy’s work of course).
We are not dependent on government or corporate media to wait for changes to happen. We can act now, by doing things we believe in. Solidarity and Compassion, Co-operating with each other should be our focus.
* "Cuomo's scant use of clemency short-circuits justice; Prisons turned into 'cruel nursing homes' as Parole Board and governor fail to act" (2016-10-06, lohud.com) [archive.is/IZMHk]
* "Convicted With No Evidence: a Very Dangerous Precedent!" (2016-10-11, by Reverend Edward Pinkney, counterpunch.org) [archive.is/rRzgM]:
I am Reverend Edward Pinkney, a community activist who tragically became a political prisoner in Michigan on December 15, 2014. On July 26, 2016 the Michigan Court of Appeals rejected my appeal. I was convicted in Berrien County, Michigan by an all-white jury that was motivated by something other than the truth.
I have already served over 21 months as a result of a Jim Crow trial that had me accused of altering dates on a recall petition against then Benton Harbor Mayor James Hightower. The prosecutor and judge both instructed the jury they could convict me “with no evidence.” Indeed, there was no evidence. I am an innocent man, threatened, charged, tried, convicted, and sentenced in an effort to isolate and silence me against the power of the land-grabbing, job-outsourcing, criminal Whirlpool Corporation that has its headquarters in Benton Harbor. My unusually harsh sentence was imposed by county judge Sterling Shrock.
On September 7, 2016, the Michigan Supreme Court denied me bond while accepting my application for leave. It will take up to a year for the Supreme Court to reach its decision on my Appeal. The corruption inside the courtroom and the justice system today must stop.
The Court of Appeal decision is published and sets a very dangerous precedent for the people of the State of Michigan and all around the country. The decision indicates that there is sufficient evidence to convict even when there is absolutely NO evidence at all! The prosecution’s case rested on the idea that since I was an outspoken organizer, active in political and social matters (both related to and unrelated to any election), I must have been motivated to alter dates. The prosecution offered no witnesses, no confession, no proof, no evidence of guilt; yet, I was convicted and sentenced to an unusually lengthy sentence of 2.5 to 10 years.
Almost twice the required number of petitions were turned in and processed by the County Clerk’s office and handed over to ascertain the date to be set for the recall election. These petitions were handled by multiple individuals before any charges were made against me, and it was never proved in court that any forgeries had even occurred. A number of individuals testified that they changed the date themselves (realizing they wrote the wrong date or after trying to sign with a pen that its ink had stopped flowing due to the cold winter weather during the petition drive). No forgeries were committed.
The people claim this is the greatest country in the entire world. They claim we have the best criminal justice system. If the blindfolded lady holding the scales of justice exists in this country, then this conviction should not and cannot stand in America, in Michigan, in Berrien County. It is worth repeating that this is a very dangerous precedent for everyone in our country. Convicting without evidence is that dangerous precedent that we must work together to overcome. No human being should ever spend one minute in jail or prison without evidence against him or her!
Lady Justice demands that judges must adhere rigorously to the law of the land and that prosecutors have the responsibility to be ministers of justice, not just to take on the role of advocates. This responsibility, which prosecutor Mike Sepic in my case was charged with, carried with it specific obligations to see that justice is served. But justice was not served.
In my case, and in so many cases that we are witnessing with especially the release of prisoners of color after being exonerated after years, sometimes decades, of false imprisonment, justice was not served. The scales of Lady Justice are imbalanced, especially against people of color. We must continue to fight against this grave imbalance to ensure a humane, just future for people of color, for the homeless, for the poverty-stricken, for the weary and beaten populace of America. All across our country, we must demand that justice be served!
Reverend Edward Pinkney
West Shoreline Correctional Facility
2500 S. Sheridan Drive
Muskegon Heights, MI 49444
* "Path to Mumia's Freedom" (2016-08-28, by Rachel Wolkenstein) [archive.is/AD9KR] [begin excerpt]: Mumia’s other challenges to his conviction include: Ineffective assistance of trial counsel; The prosecution’s intentional exclusion of African-Americans from his jury; the Prosecution’s summation argument that Mumia would have “appeal after appeal” depriving Mumia of the constitutional standard of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt and the importance of the jury decision in determining guilt and a death sentence; Denying Mumia the right to self-representation and to be in the courtroom during his trial; Police and prosecutorial fabrication of evidence of guilt—false hospital confession, phony ballistics evidence, lying witnesses Cynthia White, Priscilla Durham, Robert Chobert—and suppression of evidence of Mumia’s innocence—Veronica Jones, Dessie Hightower, William Singletary, Ken Freeman, Arnold Howard and the confession of Arnold Beverly. [end excerpt]
* "Abu-Jamal Says Bad Medical Care May Kill Him" (2016-10-06, courthousenews.com) [archive.is/MimxZ]
* "US Political Prisoner Abu-Jamal Sues Prison for Denying Life-Saving Medicine; Former Black Panther Mumia Abu-Jamal has leveled a federal lawsuit against officials in the Pennsylvania prison system for denying treatment to him for hepatitis C, which has reached life-threatening levels" (2016-10-06, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/By1mH]
* "Let’s Re-ignite the Movement to Free Mumia Abu-Jamal!" (2016-10-10, Labor Action Committee to Free Mumia Abu-Jamal):
To All Groups and Individuals Concerned with Prisoner Rights, Racism, and Police Terror -
We are advocating a renewed fight for freedom for Mumia Abu-Jamal. December 9, 2016 will be 35 years since the police tried to execute Mumia and then framed him and sentenced him to death. It took international mass mobilization to prevent his execution. It is taking protest and publicity to keep him alive in prison and to get him treated for Hepatitis C.
We ask you to join us in an effort to reignite the struggle to free Mumia, on all fronts.
We write to you in the midst of on-going struggles which unite us all: opposition to rampant police killings of Black men; freedom for political prisoners including former Black Panthers, Oscar Lopez Rivera and Leonard Peltier; opposition to the death penalty, life without parole, solitary confinement; big pharma price-gouging; immigrant deportations; the Standing Rock resistance to the destruction of both native lands and the environment; the Puerto Rican struggle against imperialist oppression; and defense of Palestinians from Zionist terror.
We are writing to advocate joining together now in a renewed fight for freedom for Mumia Abu-Jamal. December 9, 2016 will be 35 years since the police tried to execute Mumia on the streets of Philadelphia and then framed him, with the complicity of the prosecution and the court, and sentenced him to death. It took international mass mobilization to prevent his execution. It is taking protest and publicity to keep him alive in prison and to get him treatment for his Hepatitis C.
A recent U.S. Supreme Court decision (Williams v. Pennsylvania) ruled that a prosecutor cannot later sit as judge over the same defendant. This is precedent setting for Mumia who has filed a new legal action based on the fact that Mumia’s appeals of his conviction from 1998 on were denied by Justice Ronald Castille who was the Philadelphia District Attorney,—his prosecutor—during his first appeal. If successful, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court rulings that upheld his conviction would be overturned. Mumia would be able to re-appeal the issues of his innocence, jury bias, falsified evidence to obtain a new trial, if not outright dismissal of charges.
It is unlikely that this new legal opportunity to win a court battle for Mumia’s freedom will be repeated. We began the struggle for Mumia’s freedom with the understanding that the fight for Mumia is one that encompasses the fight against capitalist, racist injustice from police street execution to the legal lynching of the death penalty, to frame-up convictions, mass incarceration, and all the horrors of the U.S. prison system. The fight for Mumia is a defense of those who stand in opposition to the policies of U.S. imperialism; it is a case of Black Lives Matter.
Mumia has never succumbed to the state’s attempt to silence him. He is a beacon of light and hope for other prisoners across the US, as well as for all victims of imperialist war, racism and the “incarceration nation.”
We support all legal actions in Mumia’s defense but recognize that there is no justice in the capitalist courts. The Labor Action Committee to Free Mumia Abu-Jamal (LAC) focuses on mass and labor actions to free Mumia. Without such action, the new case for Mumia’s freedom will—as similar attempts have before—be consigned to the “Mumia exception” judicial waste-bucket. We continue to work to get international labor support for Mumia’s freedom and for Hep C treatment. Mumia’s struggles, if supported by a mass movement can not only free him, but also help unite struggles of prisoners and other victims of the racist-imperialist-capitalist system throughout the world.
We support a renewed campaign to free Mumia Abu-Jamal. An event is planned for Philadelphia for December 9, 2016 initiated by the Concerned Family and Friends of Mumia Abu-Jamal and the New York Campaign to Bring Mumia Home and a call is in the works.
Slogans being put forward for this event are:
- Mumia is Innocent and Framed! Free Mumia, Now!
- Abolish the Racist Death Penalty! End Solitary Confinement!
- End Life Imprisonment without Parole!
- Quality Health Care for all Prisoners! Hep C Meds for All!
- End Mass Incarceration! Black Lives Matter! No Stop and Frisk!
* "PHONE ZAP: NO RETALIATION AGAINST KINROSS PRISONERS" (2016-10-03, itsgoingdown.org) [archive.is/BUXzd] [begin excerpt]: On September 10, over 400 prisoners protested peacefully at Kinross Correctional Facility in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, following the September 9 nationwide prison workers’ strike. While details are still emerging, we know that prisoners met with the wardens to peacefully communicate their demands. These demands included better wages, better quality and quantity of food, and no retaliation for the peaceful protest. Yet about 150 prisoners were accused of being instigators and were transferred to other facilities. In at least some cases, they were accused of “incite to riot” and placed in higher-security levels and disciplinary isolation. [end excerpt]
* Prison support literature (sproutdistro.com) [archive.is/eBNLy], provided as printable versions with pages out of order:
is.gd/J7au7s]: This zine offers an excellent critique of prisons, arguing that prison is not just a physical site but also a condition that exists within society. Specifically, it offers a solid analysis of prison abolition, arguing that in seeking to “shrink” the prison industrial complex, abolitionists often end up replacing prison with other less brutal institutions. Consequently, prison doesn’t disappear but rather its mechanisms – surveillance, militarization of the police, etc – spread throughout society.
- "A Practical Guide to Prisoner Support" (.pdf) [is.gd/aRFYBC], a good introduction to providing support to prisoners. The zine mainly focuses on giving tips on how to write to prisoners, including what to say (and what not to say) and what to expect.
- "ALF Prisoner Support: The Basics" (.pdf) [is.gd/41FNnr]: This zine provides basic tips on doing prison support for prisoners associated with the Animal Liberation Front (ALF). Of course, the tips – from explaining what to write (and what not to write) in letters to prisoners to ideas for sending books to prisoners. A good, short, basic overview.
- "Earth Warriors Are OK!" (.pdf) [is.gd/Kwu8Kp]: This is a very good zine for people interested in doing prisoner support work. It’s a mix of updates about the “Green Scare” that has targeted animal and earth liberation warriors in the Midwest as well as practical advice on how to support prisoners (how to write them, ideas for starting support groups, etc), advice on dealing with Grand Juries, and advice on dealing with general repression. A very thorough resource.
- "How To Start A Prison Books Collective" (.pdf) [is.gd/QNmVhO]: This comprehensive zine provides an excellent introduction to starting a prison books projects. It covers everything that anyone interested in starting a book program would need to know including logistics, finances, fundraising, getting books, process, and other details. In addition, the zine also provides a sample mission statement, fundraising letter, resource guide, and zine catalog. It was produced by two longstanding prison books projects, Books through Bars in Philadelphia and the Prison Books Collective in Carrboro.
- "Seven Years Against Prison" (.pdf) [is.gd/qG44Zl]: This zine celebrates seven years of prison noise demos in Southwestern Ontario. It features an essay recounting the history of the demonstrations and why they started, followed by a collection of communiques from demos that happened over the years. The zine does a good job of making the argument for why noise demos can be an important part of a larger anti-prison struggle. It also situates them in a context of international anarchist solidarity.
- "What Is Prisoner Support" (.pdf) [is.gd/MpmrKK] is a zine consisting of writing by current political prisoners on their thoughts on what prisoner support and solidarity means. Compiled for the No More Locked Doors Conference in 2015, this zine offers a number of different perspectives on the importance and necessity of prisoner support. It is especially strong in terms of hearing from prisoners on what support has meant to them during their incarceration. It’s also useful for understanding what types of support are most important and identifying areas where support may be lacking. Contributors range from MOVE prisoners to recently (2015) arrested anarchists such as Eric King.
- "Writing to Prisoners: Frequently Asked Questions" (.pdf) [is.gd/lVyuPn]: This pamphlet is a good introduction to the topic of writing to prisoners. It covers what is probably the most asked about question: “what should I write about?” in a lot of detail and includes a ton of helpful suggestions. It also includes tips for improving the chances that letters will get through, how to find prisoners, etc.
* "Suicide by torture — A Guantanamo cover-up" (2016-10-06, whowhatwhy.org) [archive.is/fymjX]
THE MEDICAL INDUSTRY IS FOR LIFE, NOT FOR PROFIT!
Without government oversights and public healthcare, the people are beholden to corruption and unregulated health enterprises...
* "Texas police find dozens of people held captive in fake treatment centers, arrest 10" (2016-10-07, rt.com) [archive.is/VP0wm]
articles recommended by the
SAN PABLO BAY ECOLOGICAL PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION
Campaigns, info, and more [SanPabloBayEPA.blogspot.com]. Science [discardstudies.com]. [blog.savesfbay.org]
* "Phillips 66 oil by rail proposal derailed; Reactions to the San Luis Obispo Decision" video [youtube.com/watch?v=tkugFv6qKww]
* "Amidst Broad Community Opposition, Shell Anacortes Drops Plans for New Crude Oil-by-Rail; Delay, growing local and regional opposition, and uncertain economics contributed to Shell’s decision" (2016-10-07, earthjustice.org) [archive.is/aUO9z]
* "Northeastern states sue EPA over drifting smog pollution" (2016-10-07, rt.com) [archive.is/ZhEi4]
* "New York trash man tells Americans wake up to garbage" (2016-10-04, AFP newswire) [archive.is/fC8Ks]
* "Great Pacific Garbage Patch aerial survey yields bad news" (2016-10-06, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/r9iNm] [begin excerpt]: Researchers with the pollution control outfit Ocean Cleanup recently completed the first aerial survey of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, and the results are rather grim. The accumulation of garbage in the middle of the Pacific Ocean is even bigger than expected. [end excerpt]
* "Washing clothes releases thousands of microplastic particles into environment, study shows" (2016-09-27, phys.org) [archive.is/mVLPj]
* "Pacific Bluefin Tuna One Step Closer to Endangered Species Act Protection; Overfishing Continues as International Negotiations Over Reducing Catch Stall" (2016-10-07, biologicaldiversity.org) [archive.is/oL9mW]
SAN PABLO BAY EPA: Health and the Human Ecology
Monopolists enforce a regime that does not recognize the natural right to health and life. Info [detoxproject.org].
* "Fracking Industry’s New Plan? Prosecute Those Who Push Drilling Bans" (2016-10-05, by Lauren McCauley) [archive.is/eMEUw]
* "Fracking gets go ahead, as govt overrules locals in ‘denial of democracy’ " (2016-10-06, rt.com) [archive.is/NalwD]
* "Do You Really Understand The Health Risks From Microwave Technology?" (2016-10-08, by Catherine Frompovich) [archive.is/mxpRE]
* "Up to 14 Million Children Exposed to Toxic Industrial Chemicals in Schools; Harvard researchers estimate toxic PCBs may be present in up to 26,000 U.S. schools" (2016-10-06, commondreams.org) [archive.is/Ax4ls]
* "For Exxon, Hybrid Car Technology Was Another Road Not Taken; Exxon’s ambitious work on powering clean vehicles 40 years ago parallels its cutting-edge research on climate change during the same era" (2016-10-05, insideclimatenews.org) [is.gd/nT2jUY]
articles recommended by the
NO NUKES! campaign
[StopNuclearDeath.blogspot.com] [nuclear-news.net] [nukeresister.org] [nukefree.org]; National Radiation Map [radiationnetwork.com], depicting environmental radiation levels across the USA, updated in real time every minute.
* " 'Where Is Justice'? Top UN Court Rejects Marshall Islands Nuke Case; International Court of Justice rejects three disarmament cases against U.K., Pakistan, and India, claiming it did not have jurisdiction" (2016-10-05, commondreams.org) [archive.is/EZvyy]
* "US carries out two successful flight tests using mock nuke bombs" (2016-10-06, rt.com) [archive.is/21Hl6]
* "U.S. Air Force Drops Dummy Nukes In Nevada Desert" (2016-10-08, by Joe Jankowski) [archive.is/Ovgqy]
* "Canada watchdog warns of faulty nuclear monitoring" (2016-10-04, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/pbvym]
articles recommended by the
SAN PABLO BAY SOVEREIGNTY Think-tank
* "Food waste could store solar and wind energy" (2016-09-14, acs.org) [archive.is/Zfvyi]
* "Nanoscale Heat Transfer in Carbon Nanotubes - Sugar Alcohol Composite as Heat Storage Materials" (2016-08-30, pubs.acs.org) [archive.is/xj9h1]
* "Toward ‘greener,’ inexpensive solar cells; Fabrication of Efficient Low-Bandgap Perovskite Solar Cells by Combining Formamidinium Tin Iodide with Methylammonium Lead Iodide" (2016-09-28, acs.org) [archive.is/0PwGV]
* "Non-toxic solvent removes barrier to commercialisation of perovskite solar cells; Scientists at Oxford University have developed a solvent system with reduced toxicity that can be used in the manufacture of perovskite solar cells, clearing one of the barriers to the commercialisation of a technology that promises to revolutionise the solar industry" (2016-10-05, ox.ac.uk) [archive.is/ELobD]
articles recommended by the Committee for
Protect Earth's Sentient Life!
[AnimalLiberationFrontline.com], with WarCry Publishing, focusing on the history of ALF action [archive.is/zhYFH].
DOWNLOAD THREE REPORTS:
- ALF: The First 5 Years (4 pgs) (.pdf) [is.gd/cASqhN]
- Leaked fur industry security alert collection (45 pgs) (.pdf) [is.gd/3sgCUl]
- ALF press clippings collection, 1984-1994 (52 pgs) (.pdf) [is.gd/u2zl00]
UNITED STATES FASCISM WATCH
Documenting the process of fascism and for whom it benefits. [UnitedStatesFascism.blogspot.com] [exposefacts.org]
* "Report Shows US Corporate Tax Dodging Still Rampant, Still Legal; Corporate tax avoidance is balanced by higher taxes on individuals, cuts to public investments and services, and increased federal debt" (2016-10-04, commondreams.org) [archive.is/b7Edw]
* "Apple biggest tax avoider in US stashing $215bn offshore" (2016-10-05, rt.com) [archive.is/XVE1L]
* "New Allegations of Tax Code Violations by Exxon and ALEC Filed with IRS; More than $1.7 Million to “Charity” to Promote Climate Denial & Oil Giant’s Other Legislative Goals" (2016-10-06, commoncause.org) [archive.is/OpoyP]
* "Think U.S. Agriculture Will End World Hunger? Think Again" (2016-10-05, ewg.org) [archive.is/saQlS] [begin excerpt]: U.S. agribusiness spokesmen routinely defend practices that pollute air and water, and destroy soil by claiming that American farmers are doing what it takes to “feed the world.”
The facts tell a very different story. U.S. agriculture is not feeding the world’s impoverished and desperate people, according to a new EWG analysis of trade figures [archive.is/RRinN]. Eighty-six percent of American agricultural exports in 2015 went to 20 of the world’s wealthiest and most developed export destinations, including Canada, China, Mexico and the European Union.
“We wanted to dig into the fictitious notion that America’s farmers are feeding people in undernourished countries, and the assertion that so-called ‘modern’ farming techniques are our only option if we ever hope to do so,” said Anne Weir Schechinger, EWG’s senior analyst for economics and author of the report. “This is simply a myth adopted and deployed by U.S. agribusiness to distract the public from reality. The indisputable facts are that we are sending mostly meat products and animal feed to wealthy countries, and we are not sending much food at all to those nations struggling to feed their people.” [end excerpt]
Insight into the business culture of private bureaucracies which manage important sectors of society, where private dictate can be flawed but which is unscientifically implemented based purely on bias and emotion. The example here also shows a contradiction to "Identity Politics", whereby liberals believe that gender equality will solve inequality, ignoring how capitalists will be capitalists, no matter what gender.
* " ‘Intentional discrimination’: Yahoo CEO hit by lawsuit claiming male colleagues illegally purged" (2016-10-08, rt.com) [archive.is/xZg32]
USA FASCISM: "Libertarianism & Constitutionalism" to benefit private bureaucracies
[alibertarianfuture.com] [fff.org] [mises.org]
* "Campus Workers Unmask Scheme To Privatize All Tennessee Property" (2016-10-04, labornotes.org) [archive.is/uh9KW] [begin excerpt]: Every state has a procurement office. Have you checked what yours is up to?
In Tennessee it was through this office, charged with overseeing the state’s purchases and contracts, that Governor Bill Haslam concocted the biggest privatization scheme you’ve never heard of.
And he would have gotten away with it, too—if it weren’t for a tough campus-workers union that discovered his plans and launched a raucous fight.
Haslam, with a net worth of $2 billion, is America’s richest elected politician. His family owns the Pilot Flying J chain of truck stops. In 2014 he began taking quiet steps to outsource more than 10,000 state workers.
Several well-paid consultants joined his administration, including one who gets paid more per hour than any other state employee. They began work in the little-known, slickly titled Office of Customer Focused Government.
The plan they cooked up was unprecedented. Management and maintenance of literally every piece of state property would be privatized—campuses, parks, even armories—costing the jobs of 1 in 5 state workers.
Billions in revenue would be funneled to a single private company. It’s rumored that one of the top contenders is Jones Lang LaSalle, already a state contractor and a company where Haslam has a record of personal investment.
Equally shocking, instead of battling it out in the legislature, Haslam’s plan would rely on executive authority. An approach called “vested outsourcing” meant that the most favored corporations would help write the request for proposals. [end excerpt]
USA FASCISM: Military State
* "Gen. Hyten Will Bring Multi-Domain Experience to STRATCOM" (2016-09-23, intelsatgeneral.com) [archive.is/NFayh] [begin excerpt]: Gen. John Hyten, long a champion of linking space and cyberspace domains in U.S. defense planning, is expected to get a chance to further that advocacy in leading Strategic Command. [...]
In his “Commanders Strategic Intent” in April, Hyten expanded the definition of battlespace that must be defended to include geosynchronous orbit, where the nation’s military and commercial satellites hold the key to the continuous communications necessary for national defense. Without it, he said in a “60 Minutes” interview in 2015, the military fights a World-War-II-type, pre-Industrial-Age battle.
Space is an environment where the United States is becoming more capable, with the addition of high-throughput satellites such as the Intelsat EpicNG constellation. But the space environment is also becoming increasingly crowded and contested, Hyten has said on many occasions, building awareness in every audience he addresses. During Hyten’s confirmation hearing, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) indicated he only recently understood the potential peril in space when he learned that China and Russia are building weapons “specifically designed to cripple U.S. systems.”
Hyten told the committee that space control programs and a battle-management command and control system should be among the Department of Defense’s top priorities. He has long sought to remove redundancy in current space control by combining six different systems into one. Industry is seeking to operate that system, freeing the military to expand training for battle management.
In written testimony, Hyten also attempted to clear up differences in the mission of the Joint Space Operations Center (JSpOC) at Vandenburg Air Force Base, Calif., and the recently created Joint Interagency Combined Space Operations Center (JICSpOC) at Schriver Air Force Base in Colorado Springs.
The JSpOC is focused on the terrestrial fight, while the JICSpOC handles the conflict that extends into space. “If we tried to integrate either with the other, both would be at significant risk of failure,” Hyten said. [end excerpt]
* "Military Support for Innovation Is a Matter of Culture" (2016-10-04, intelsatgeneral.com) [archive.is/4MXBm]
* "Northrop Grumman to procure long-lead items for Triton drone; Modification covers procurement and related efforts for the MQ-4C Triton unmanned aircraft" (2016-10-03, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/ZJTOC]
* "Northrop Grumman gets $149 million infrared countermeasures contract; Contract covers work on the U.S. Navy's Large Aircraft Infrared Countermeasures program" (2016-09-26, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/L9xcv]
* "BAE, Boeing receive Trident missile contracts Contracts cover engineering, integration and navigational services in Navy's D5 variant" (2016-10-04, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/CprIZ]
* "BAE Systems debuting next generation Bradley prototype" (20106-10-03, baesystems.com) [archive.is/4USkp]
* "BAE Systems to Modernize Mk 45 Naval Guns under $50 Million Award" (2016-09-27, baesystems.com) [archive.is/1Bzgm]
* "BAE Systems begins production of new thermal sights" (2016-10-05, UPI Newswire) [is.gd/YwEfnH]
* "LTM gets $35 million military engineering support contract Deal covers engineering support for various U.S. Navy and Marine Corps aircraft, engines and components" (2016-10-07, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/CK01G]
* "General Dynamics' Electric Boat Wins $105M U.S. Navy Deal" (2016-09-23, by Zacks Equity Research, Zacks.com) [archive.is/m4fCW]
* "Ingalls receives $120 million assault ship contract modification; Deal covers work relating to the U.S. Navy's next large-deck amphibious assault ship" (2016-10-04, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/shyGp]
* "U.S. Army Awards Lockheed Martin Contract to Upgrade Apache Helicopter Targeting and Pilotage System" (2016-08-12, lockheedmartin.com) [archive.is/zAbLg]
* "Lockheed Martin upgrading Apache helicopter targeting sensor" (2016-10-04, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/oQQzY]
* "Lockheed to produce upgraded Surface Electronic Warfare system; The $148 million deal covers production of an upgraded version of the AN/SLQ-32(V) electronic warfare system" (2016-10-03, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/umSHN]
* "Quantum Imaging gets Multi-spectral Targeting System contract" (2016-10-04, UPI Newswire) [is.gd/dseIxj]
* "ATEC to develop advanced Army helicopter engine capability" (2016-10-04, UPI Newswire) [is.gd/ZbvmA9]
* "British companies rake in billions from Pentagon military contracts" (2016-10-06, rt.com) [archive.is/4CC7a]
* "GM, U.S. Army unveil Colorado ZH2 tactical hydrogen vehicle" (2016-10-05, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/dpvmn]
* "Raytheon and Logos to partner on sensor system" (2016-10-06, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/RFzkk]
USA FASCISM: Two Party Dictatorship
* "WikiLeaks Wants to Tear Down the Two-Party System" (2016-10-04, ivn.us) [archive.is/JDinl]
* "Tired of Political Status Quo, Two-Party Duopoly Fuels Voter Apathy" (2016-09-27, ivn.us) [archive.is/blWN5]
* "Gallup: Voters Staying Home Because Candidates Suck" (2016-09-28, ivn.us) [archive.is/vLX9Y]
* And now, a message from a private partner for Homeland Security (screengrab, Firefox Browser, with Google Chrome) [archive.is/riJ7O]: Life, Liberty and the pursuit of cat videos. That's what makes the internet (and America) great! The U.S. General Election is November 8. Voter registration deadlines drop soon! Visit Vote.org to register or check your voter status today.
* "Commission on Presidential Debates: Another Cog in the Two-Party Machine" (2016-09-23, ivn.us) [archive.is/LICoJ]
* "States Keep Weaseling Around Court Orders Blocking GOP Voting Restrictions" (2016-10-06, talkingpointsmemo.com) [is.gd/LtBfSE]
* "Some of Clinton's Pledges Sound Great. Until You Remember Who's President; The Democrats promise to take on a system rigged against middle America. So why the hell has Barack Obama done almost nothing about that for eight years?" (2016-10-07, byThomas Frank, via theguardian.com) [archive.is/FLsCo]
* "Clinton Wall Street Family Business" (2016-09-24, fondsk.ru) [archive.is/Km993] (translated by Kristina Kharlova) [archive.is/2JCXE]
* " ‘I’m kind of far removed’: Clinton admits estrangement from middle class in Wall Street paid speech" (2016-10-08, rt.com) [archive.is/naBJD], attached video [is.gd/t4b2FK]
* "Hillary Clinton was a Wal-Mart Director for 6 Years" (2015-06-20, progressivepress.net) [archive.is/natub]
* Instead of grassroots townhall meetings to implement a campaign based on the concerns of the electorate, the Clinton campaign, being against a people's democracy, organizes a rich person's form of populism instead [archive.is/kWIG9].
* "Obama DOJ drops charges against alleged broker of Libyan weapons; Arms dealer had threatened to expose Hillary Clinton’s talks about arming anti-Qadhafi rebels" (2016-10-04, politico.com) [archive.is/My7Yu]
* "Obama DOJ Drops Charges Against Indicted Arms Dealer After He Threatened To Expose Clinton’s Crimes" (2016-10-05, by Matt Agorist) [archive.is/Bh0hN]
* "Top 10 Clinton scandals exposed by WikiLeaks" (2016-10-12, washingtontimes.com) [archive.is/uI992]
* "Hacked Emails Show Hillary Clinton Repeatedly Praised Wal-Mart in Paid Speeches" (2016-10-12, theintercept.com) [archive.is/hojt7]
* "WikiLeaks Dump: Top Clinton Aides Mock Catholicism, Evangelical Christianity" (2016-10-11, insider.foxnews.com) [archive.is/R9K7L]
* "Dear Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin, I am not Sidney Blumenthal" (2016-10-10, newsweek.com) [archive.is/z1vYo] [begin excerpt]: The Russians have been obtaining American emails and now are presenting complete misrepresentations of them—falsifying them—in hopes of setting off a cascade of events that might change the outcome of the presidential election. [end excerpt]
* "Podesta’s Twitter, new email hacked by 4chan users" (2016-10-13, rt.com) [archive.is/P4q6n]
* "These new tapes could end Donald Trump's candidacy" (2016-10-10, moveon.org): If you thought the tape of Donald Trump bragging about sexual assault to NBC's Billy Bush was bad, buckle up. Multiple TV producers are now saying that there's even worse footage—much worse—of Trump saying sexually predatory and extremely racist things. But NBC and MGM are refusing to release the footage [archive.is/2HXLR].
For a year now, NBC has been protecting Trump—from Matt Lauer's biased presidential forum to Jimmy Fallon's softball interview with him. With 29 days left until the election, voters deserve to know just how much of a racist, hate-filled serial sexual predator Trump is.
Since the leak of Trump's comments on Friday, NBC has been under such intense pressure that it suspended Bush for encouraging Trump's behavior in that tape from 2005. If we speak up now—while the media is reeling from the leak—we can force NBC and MGM, the studio that now owns the unaired footage from Trump's reality TV show, to stop protecting Trump and release the rest of the tapes.
* "Moderate Fascism":
USA FASCISM: State Media Watch
Documenting propaganda issued by the monopolist media and members of the state security regime that uphold the economic dictatorship, imperialist wars, and the "New Jim Crow" regime [mediamatters.org]
* "Federal govt spends over $1bn a year on PR – official report" (2016-10-07, rt.com) [archive.is/Vaxcu]
* " ‘1st victim of war is truth’: Syrian-born journalist slams MSM for Aleppo bias" (2016-10-05, rt.com) [archive.is/36iWO]
* "On Assad and Syria: a Reply to a Reader" (2016-10-06, counterpunch.org) [archive.is/9542U] [begin excerpt]: As David Swanson insists, war is a crime. Once you are into a war, and especially a civil war with massive outside intervention, there are bound to be more and more crimes. But by the way, how are you so sure about Assad’s crimes or Russia bombing civilians ? Surely you must realize that our media regard them as the enemy and readily believe every version of events that portrays them as villains. An example of obvious exaggeration is official U.S. insistence that Russia deliberately bombs hospitals, etc., where if we do it, it is of course an accident. [end excerpt]
Vice Media is heavily funded by Rupert Murdoch's 21st Century Fox (FOXA) and Bob Iger's Walt Disney (DIS)
* "John Oliver: Hillary Clinton’s useless clown; John Oliver's unfunny attacks on Donald Trump take on a special character in light of his contacts with the Clinton Foundation" (2016-10-09, theduran.com) [archive.is/Qqkve]
* "Making Cold War to the End of the World; The Western media’s orgy of anti-Russia propaganda includes the curious claim that it is Moscow that is undermining faith in the U.S. presidential election, not the widely despised major party candidates, notes William Blum" (2016-10-04, consortiumnews.com) [archive.is/hQT9F]
Read the TIME article about the Russia State Agencies allegedly undermining the USA election [is.gd/TP8gOH].
Basically, "we don't have concrete evidence that any of this was the Russians, but they're called Fancy Bear (Russians like bears), and they have code that isn't available to the public (Russians had that one time) and here are a bunch of instances where Russia has attempted to manipulate politics (which we NEVER do), so start ignoring the fact that the DNC was caught red-handed trying to screw Bernie Sanders, and forget all of the reasons why both candidates would be disastrous for the world, and just focus reeeallly hard on believing in democracy, okay? Because that's what we have here in the USA, and we need to protect it from the evil Russians by embracing our civic duty to choose between two criminal maniacs, and accepting the outcome without question."
"Also we have no particular evidence suggesting that Guccifer is not Romanian but let's say it anyway, and he's probably Russian as well."
* Photo: FancyBear setting up "honey pots".
* "Is the Antichrist Russian President Putin?" (revelation13.net) [archive.is/I6HBm]
* "#APFactCheck: Trump wrong that Syria's Assad is fighting Islamic State militants" (2016-10-09, twitter.com/AP_Politics) [archive.is/jKhYI], (2016-10-09, elections.ap.org) [archive.is/b8VPv]:
A claim from the second presidential debate and how it stacks up with the facts:
DONALD TRUMP: "I don't like Assad at all. But Assad is killing ISIS. Russia is killing ISIS."
THE FACTS: Not true. Syria's President Bashar Assad considers the Islamic State group to be among numerous "terrorist" groups that threaten his government, but his military is not fighting them. It is focused on combatting Syrian opposition groups, some of which are supported by the United States. The fight against the Islamic State militants is being waged by a U.S.-led coalition, with help from Turkey, by training, advising and equipping Syrian Arab and Kurdish fighters. While Moscow asserts that it is fighting the Islamic State extremists in Syria, the vast majority of its airstrikes have targeted opposition groups threatening the Assad government.
* The previous linked content was immediately shared and criticised [archive.is/DyRbT], including at (2016-10-09, reddit.com) [archive.is/XF9tq], critics citing AP Newswire media pieces describing the Arab Republic of Syria ("Assad") as targeting ISIS, including
- "Raw: Syrian Army Fights IS Group in Deir el-Zour" (2016-04-08, AP Newswire) [archive.is/qhdD8], cited at [archive.is/BCDUd]
- "VIDEO: The Syrian army and its supporters fight the Islamic State group in Deir el-Zour city" (2016-04-08, twitter.com/ap) [archive.is/ZGa5w]
- "BREAKING: Syrian president vows to `liberate' every inch of the country the way his troops took Palmyra from IS" (2016-06-07, twitter.com/ap) [archive.is/1l3H1]
* (2016-10-10) [archive.is/5JK8b]: Who saw this? Needless to say Trump isn't wrong here. Just fact-checking the fact-checkers.
* "North Korea anniversaries could bring more provocations; North Korea is expected to observe a Workers’ Party anniversary and the 10th anniversary of its first nuclear test" (2016-10-05, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/uYXMA]
False reporting by this UPI author. Not surprising.
Neither a security guarantee nor assurance have been negotiated.
"Pyongyang has previously claimed it is developing weapons of mass destruction for defense purposes, although the country has negotiated security guarantees and assurances with Washington."
The DPRK has "negotiated security guarantees and assurances with Washington." Really?
That's news to me - if it is true.
The only thing even close, to my knowledge, was a conditional offer floated by the Bush Administration in 2003 (during the six-party talks).
The offer was considered, but rejected by the DPRK chiefly because the USA refused to sign a nonaggression treaty, open diplomatic relations, and lift economic sanctions on the DPRK. This is what was reported by the AP (another USA news outlet) at the time, which contradicts the UPI's claim.
Am I missing something?
If not, did the UPI ever follow up with a retraction or clarification?
this UPI reporter often writes articles that are totally erroneous. Her source is Radio Free Asia, which is directly funded by the U.S. gov to engage in propaganda activities or unnamed, anonymous "defectors."
If my understanding is correct, the DPRK and the USA are technically still at war.
The armistice of 1953 was a negotiated ceasefire or truce between the US, DRK, and PRC, which the South Korean government refused to sign. A peace treaty ending the war, which was supposed to follow, has never been concluded. Isn't it about time to return to the negotiating table?
* "Is this a photo of empty store shelves in Venezuela?" (2015-06-02, gizmodo.com) [is.gd/QSvsEe] [begin excerpt]:
This photo went viral last week when some people claimed that those empty shelves were a product of Venezuela’s socialist policies. The embarrassing part? It’s not a photo from Venezuela. It’s from Texas.
Conservative columnist Michelle Malkin recently wrote an article criticizing presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders and his quest for what she characterized as Venezuelan-style socialism [archive.is/4OcNx]. When The National Review originally posted the story, it included the image above [archive.is/a2poB] — a dirtied up version of the original photo, which you can see below [archive.is/1Esim]. But as the blog Little Green Footballs points out, the pic actually comes from a Walmart in Austin, Texas. Apparently the photo was taken in the lead up to Hurricane Rita in 2005, as anxious shoppers stripped the shelves of nearly everything. So it’s an understatement to say that The National Review’s original caption for the photo, “Venezuela’s vibrant economy,” was more than a little misleading.
As Malkin points out on Twitter [archive.is/1dfqn], she didn’t choose the photo, The National Review did. Her column is syndicated by a number of different news outlets and each chooses their own art to accompany any given post. Now the question is, where did The National Review pull the image from? [end excerpt]
* "Busted! National Review Crops and 'Dirties' Photo From Austin Walmart, Claims It Shows 'Venezuela' ; Alleged pic of empty shelves in Venezuela is actually from a Wal-Mart in the US" (updated 2015-05-31, littlegreenfootballs.com) [is.gd/woN7Wz]: Get a load of this….
So Michelle Malkin in National Review did a piece on Bernie Sanders a few days ago, still whining about the underarm deodorant issue…
Wow, horrible pic of some lady in a store with empty shelves and disgustingly dirty too — along with a caption “Venezuela’s vibrant economy.” Photo [archive.is/a2poB].
So I did an image search and turned up this…. [archive.is/1Esim]. [...]
If you look at a larger version of the image, you can see the English signs in the background, so it’s clearly NOT from Venezuela.
So whoever posted this story to National Review purposely cropped out the English signs and then applied a dirty filter to it — because we all know Hispanics are filthy people, right?
In an argument with a wingnut friend of mine, his response was “It’s clearly a stock photo.” ORLY? Even if true, why crop it, make it dirty, and label it as a sign of Venezuela’s economy?
So, bottom line, a scare story about empty shelves that will plague the U.S. if Sanders is elected used a picture from a Wal-Mart in the U.S. that had trouble keeping their shelves stocked.
LGF contributor Backwoods_Sleuth discovered the true origin of the photo, from a 2005 post at this blog: Fergie’s Tech Blog: Austin Hurricane Panic Insanity [archive.is/qnBuE].
The photographer was Jay Janner from the Austin-American Statesman, and the photo shows a Walmart in Austin, Texas. The original caption from their front page: “Preparing for Hurricane Rita, Maria Chavez of Austin looks for a loaf of bread Thursday in the empty shelves of a Wal-Mart at Interstate 35 and Slaughter Lane. The store was sold out.”
* "Denial Aisle; A photograph purportedly showing a woman walking down a deserted shopping aisle in Venezuela was actually taken in New York in 2011" (2016-04-12, snopes.com) [archive.is/hM7gW]
* "Fake image of shortage-ridden Venezuelan supermarket taken in New York" (2016-04-12, tonyseed.wordpress.com) [archive.is/sXjMl]
* meme [archive.is/pFesN], read the fine print under the photo.
It is easy for State and Defense Department-backed news sources to fabricate stories using missattributed photographs, in this case of empty shelves at supermarkets in the USA being used to prove "socialism doesn't work in Venezuela", whose socialist system ensures everyone is fed despite a comprehensive economic embargo by monopolists backed by the USA State Dept., whose purpose is to overthrow the socialist government and privatize the energy resources, as Venezuela's jurisdiction contains a trillion dollar hydrocarbon deposit, mostly petroleum, managed by a state-owned energy company.
* "TED Talks Again Outed as a Thought Control Tool of the Establishment" (2016-10-07, wakingtimes.com) [archive.is/vPyzO] [begin excerpt]: Furthermore, talk by billionaire Nick Hanauer on wealth inequality in modern society was also accused of being passed over and censored by TED because it did not present an acceptable worldview in TED’s eyes. [end excerpt]
is.gd/eWOhAa]: This third presentation, by entrepreneur Nick Hanauer, is surrounded by controversy because after it was recorded, it was passed over for publication by TED. Stating that allegations of censorship are false, and that TED merely favored better presentations over Hanauer’s when deciding what to publish to their hugely popular website, TED publicly released the talk after suspicions were raised.
Discussing the idea of income equality and the forces behind job creation, Hanauer challenges the advantages the wealthy are given in society, and points out the social class system we have. His ideas are simple and clear, yet many people feel that this talk was intentionally censored by TED because of the threat these notions put to the existing pecking order in our world.
It seems unlikely that TED could possibly have anything to gain by shelving this 5 minute discourse, but, either way, the controversy exists, and Hanauer’s presentation certainly does challenge one of the establishment’s sacred cows of the economy. That the middle class is dependent on the wealthy for job creation.
Should Nick Hanauer’s non-partisan talk about the merits of taxing/not-taxing the rich be given equal weight in the arena of popular ideas?
Watch his presentation here [youtube.com/watch?v=q2gO4DKVpa8].
USA FASCISM: Artificial Poverty and Starvation
* "Trump factory jobs sent to China may never come back" (2016-10-06, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/PyPnH]
As jobs are outsourced, technology promises to replace the need for employment of humans...
* "Your next nurse could be a robot" (2016-09-29, blog.frontiersin.org) [archive.is/k0UZe]
* "Mini 'Pepper' robots start new jobs in Taiwan" (2016-10-06, phys.org) [archive.is/muMRU], photo caption: Cathay Life Insurance, Taiwan's biggest insurer, introduced its first Pepper into its Taipei branch on October 6, 2016
WORLD FASCISM WATCH
Documenting the global economic dictatorship
* "The World’s Elite Leaders Want To Replace The USD As The World’s Primary Reserve Currency: This Will Crash The Dollar’s Value And Change Control Of World Banking" (2016-10-07, by Dave Redick) [archive.is/V56AY]
* "World Bank admits globalization leads to inequality" (2016-10-07, rt.com) [archive.is/8FzFu]
* "IMF/WorldBank Annual Meetings Begin Amid Sluggish Growth Projections; Fund Extends Zero Interest Loans for Poor Countries" (2016-10-07, jubileeusa.org) [archive.is/Y8OXA]
* "IMF: Global debt rises to all-time high $152tn" (2016-10-06, rt.com) [archive.is/UVWWz]
* "ExxonMobil faces fine from Chad 5 times country's GDP" (2016-10-07, rt.com) [archive.is/Xok1v]
* "The Coca-Cola addiction of Mexico’s indigenous population; In a country with Latin America’s highest death rate from diabetes, peasant communities are at risk" (2016-10-06, elpais.com) [archive.is/7ZqZJ], comment by Gunnar Angeles: Every little town I've visited in Mexico is either claimed by Coca Cola or Pepsi and exclusively sells one or the other. I still think Vincente Fox was a contributing factor because he used to be the corporate head of Coca Cola in Latin America.
* " ‘Karoshi’: 20% of Japanese employees risk death from overwork, survey shows" (2016-10-08, rt.com) [archive.is/a7FGd]
* "The CIA revealed as the Gestapo of the Vatican’s Fourth Reich" (2011-10-29, presscore.ca) [archive.is/2s0Uf], an outline of how a financial power funded fascism. The information is focused on one institution, but the outline is verifiable, and traces a thread of 20th Century history.
* "Iceland, Where Bad Bankers Go to Jail, Finds Nine Guilty in Historic Case; Since its 2008 crisis, Iceland has received recognition for its strategy of prosecuting executives, letting banks go bust, and focusing on social welfare" (2016-10-07, commondreams.org) [archive.is/O9pID]
WORLD FASCISM WATCH: #OPDeathEaters
A study of the personal ideologies and social practices of those who benefit from the global capitalist regime. [WorldFascists.blogspot.com]
Where judges see no fault, there be corruption of the worst kind...
* "UK pedophile snagged with 137k obscene photos of children spared jail to have his own kid" (2016-10-07, rt.com) [archive.is/Y2saU]
information collected by the
BAY AREA PEACE COUNCIL
[SolanoPeaceJustice.blogspot.com], for justice, dignity and human rights in accordance with the 1966 International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (.pdf) [is.gd/TftqGs], and an end to the USA's endless wars, in harmony with Principle 1 & 6 of International Law [archive.is/tmncz], the 5 protocols of the Convention on Conventional Weapons (CCW) [archive.is/LhUTj], and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights [archive.is/U1Ota].
* "Revolutionary poets at LaborFest 2014"
* "Poet Gary Hicks, featured artist at the Oct. 2015 BFUU Monthly Open Mic"
Poet Gary Hicks was the Featured Artist on October 9, 2015 at 7 PM at the invitation of Cynthia Jean Johnson who was our rotating host for that month.
Gary Hicks has been involved in civil rights, housing advocacy, peace with justice and cultural preservation for the last five decades. Author of two volumes of poetry plus numerous publications, he is a member of the Boston Liberation Poets Collective and the Revolutionary Poets Brigade of San Francisco. The Featured Artist performs sometime between 8 and 8:30 pm!
Cynthia Jean Johnson is a well-known Berkeley community activist. The long time former chair of the BFUU Social Justice Committee remains active with the SJC as Vice-Chair. Cynthia also serves on the Local Station Board (LSB) of KPFA Pacifica, the Ecumenical Peace Institute (EPI), and Marin Interfaith Task Force on the Americas (MITFA). Cynthia has long understood the power of songs of struggle and the role of music in keeping people in touch with what matters most.
Berkeley Fellowship Monthly Open Mic happens every 2nd Friday of Every month! Join us! Note to Musicians/Performers: Sign-up begins at 6:30 pm for 20 ten minute spots!
Urgent Request For Funds for Haiti from The Haiti Emergency Relief Fund (HERF)
c/o EAST BAY SANCTUARY COVENANT, 2362 BANCROFT WAY, BERKELEY CA 94704
EBSC is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, tax ID# 94-3249753
[510-595-4650] [HERF1804@)hotmail.com] [haitiemergencyrelief.org]
As we write this, Hurricane Matthew has slammed into Haiti, leaving thousands without shelter or food. The hurricane has devastated the city of Les Cayes and many villages in the Southwestern part of the country, destroying crops and livestock and reversing the gains in food production made by women’s agricultural cooperatives and other local farmers. Now the torrential rains and winds have hit the capital, Port-au-Prince. With massive flooding comes the increased danger of water-borne diseases, particularly cholera (brought to Haiti by UN troops), which has already reached epidemic proportions.
We ask that all friends of Haiti donate right now to the Haiti Emergency Relief Fund. Your donations will go directly to grassroots organizations on the ground in Haiti. With the delayed October 9th elections to take place soon, popular organizations in Haiti are hard at work trying to help families and communities while insuring that the election is free and fair and that Haiti’s poor majority is not blocked from voting or having their votes counted.
This is a critical time for us to step up our solidarity. Please send your tax-deductible funds to:
Haiti Emergency Relief Fund
c/o East Bay Sanctuary Covenant
2362 Bancroft Way
Berkeley, California 94704
Or donate at [haitiemergencyrelief.org]
* "Over 870 killed, 350,000 in need of urgent aid in hurricane-stricken Haiti" (2016-10-08, rt.com) [archive.is/pMsL7], attached video [is.gd/KNmhu6]
* "As Haiti Death Toll Soars, Relief Efforts Muddled by Legacy of Foreign Aid; In light of predatory response to 2010 earthquake, those wanting to help were encouraged to support local groups" (2016-10-07, commondreams.org) [archive.is/sD4lm]
* "Red Cross Built Exactly 6 Homes For Haiti With Nearly Half A Billion Dollars In Donations" (2015-06-04, huffingtonpost.com) [archive.is/bTf8m]
* "The Shelters That Clinton Built: Structurally unsafe and laced with formaldehyde, the "hurricane-proof" classroom trailers installed by the Clinton Foundation in Haiti came from the same company being sued for sickening Hurricane Katrina victims" (2011-07-11, thenation.com) [archive.is/nPTr2]
* "How the Clinton Foundation Ripped Off Haiti"
[youtube.com/watch?v=nlS4SimQfv8] most tragic and outrageous @4:26, @9:37, @13:27
* "Oct 6-10: SOA Watch Convergence at the Border" (School of The Americas Watch, SOAW.org):
The SOA Watch Convergence at the Border is just a week away! We hope that you are able to join the October 7-10vigils, protests and workshops, that are taking place at the Eloy Detention Center, in Tucson, and in Nogales, Arizona/ Sonora at the border wall. See the schedule of events below and visit the convergence webpage for detailed information (SOAW.org/border) [archive.is/exk85].
It is important that we have a strong showing of activists from throughout the U.S. and Mexico in the lead-up to the November elections. We are going to take a stand for justice, and we are going to change the culture of militarism, as we demand a fundamental change in US policies that goes beyond elections. Come out and amplify the demands of the convergence:
An end to the destructive U.S. military, economic, and political interventions in the Americas.
De-militarization of the borders. We need to build bridges with our neighbors, not walls.
The dismantling of the racist and sexist systems that steal from, criminalize, and kill migrants, refugees, natives, gender non-conforming people, communities of color, and others throughout the hemisphere.
Respect, dignity, justice and self-determination for all communities, especially the poor and most vulnerable
No more profits over people! Private military, prison, oil, mining, and other corporations should not determine our future or that of the earth, the people should.
- For the full schedule of October 7-10 events, visit [archive.is/WYld1].
- Featured speakers and musicians at the #ConvergenceAtTheBorder bi-national rally and the vigil at the US/Mexico border wall [archive.is/O51ty].
- Workshops on Saturday, October 8 in Nogales, Arizona, USA [archive.is/JpJ40]
- Workshops on Saturday, October 8 in Nogales, Sonora, Mexico [archive.is/824um]
- People of Color Space Program on Saturday, October 8 in Tucson, Arizona. Registration/RSVP form, to donate, accommodations & transportation, and more information [archive.is/Dj1hz]
- Know Your Rights and Realities With Border Patrol and other law enforcement officers [archive.is/CyjR8]
- Logistics [archive.is/kl6lg]
- Information on Camping at Avalon Gardens [archive.is/GIXUU]
- Support the #ConvergenceAtTheBorder with a donation [SOAW.org/donation]
Schedule of Events:
Friday, October 7 -
- 9:15am: Exhibition of Ten Quilts [archive.is/yIamO], Memorialize Lives Lost by Migrants Crossing the Desert in the Tucson Sector. This event will take place in the Tucson and Catalina Rooms of the University of Arizona’s Student Union (1303 E. University Blvd., Tucson, Arizona)
- 5pm to 7:30pm: Vigil and rally at the Eloy Immigrant Detention Center, and Opening of the Convergence Weekend, Welcome, and Know Your Rights Information (1705 E Hanna Rd, Eloy , AZ, 85131)
Welcome and Peña Celebration in Nogales, Mexico, 6:00pm-8pm at the Art Museum (Av. Adolfo Lopez Mateos No. 120, Nogales 84000, Mexico)
- 7pm to 11pm: Concert in Tucson [archive.is/fkN1C], Arizona at Club Congress, a benefit for No More Deaths. For all that are interested, including People of Color Space participants, and those unable to travel past the Border Patrol checkpoint to Nogales (7pm-11pm, Club Congress, 311 E Congress St, Tucson, AZ)
Saturday, October 8 -
- 8:30am to 9:30am: Veteran-led march in Nogales (Sonora/Arizona) kick off on the U.S. side [archive.is/M0Hsa]: Hotel Americana, 639 N Grand Ave, Nogales, AZ 85621 kick off on the Mexico side: Plaza Ochoa, Nogales, Son., Mexico
- 9:45am to 11:45am: Rally at the border wall in Nogales, Sonora / Arizona with speakers and musicians [archive.is/O51ty] from across the Americas featured speakers will include Michael McPherson of Veterans for Peace; Hector Barajas, the founder of Deported Veterans Support House in Tijuana, Mexico; Shena Gutierrez, from the Border Patrol Victims Network, Mexico, human rights activist and Green Party vice presidential candidate Ajamu Baraka; Isabel Garcia from the Coalicion de Derechos Humanos, Indigenous Community Defender Nestora Salgado; Maudí Tzy from the Alliance to Break the Silence and End Impunity from Guatemala, SOA Watch Field Organizer Maria Luisa Rosal and Father Roy Bourgeois, SOA Watch founder Live music performances by Pablo Peregrina, Emmas Revolution, Colleen Kattau, Olmeca, the Peace Poets, Natalia Serna La Muna, Son Jarocho musicians, and the SOA Watch Musicians Collective
- TUCSON, 9 AM to 8 PM: People of Color Space & Youth of Color Space [archive.is/Dj1hz], Workshops, Break-Out Groups, and Plenary addressing mutual solidarity, racial and gender justice. For more information on the POCS workshops, please click here [archive.is/EmGig]. If you are planning on attending the 10/8 POC Space in Tucson, please fill out this Registration/RSVP form. (9am-8pm, Dunbar African American Culture Center, 325 W 2nd St. Tucson, AZ 85705)
- Workshops at Hotel Americana [archive.is/JpJ40] (639 N Grand Ave, Nogales, AZ 85621) in Nogales, Arizona (United States), 1:15pm to 7:50pm
- Workshops in Nogales, Sonora [archive.is/824um] (Escuela Primaria Abelardo L. Rodriguez, Fenochio 23, Fundó Legal, Nogales, Mexico), 1:15pm to 7:50pm.
- Nosh & Reflection: A lunch gathering for Jewish activists and allies [archive.is/TeT3e]
- Anniversary Vigil for José Antonio Elena Rodríguez in Nogales, Sonora: starting with a march at 4 pmfrom the Plaza de las Palomas in Nogales, Sonora to the site where Jose Antonio was killed and a 5 pm mass with the Nogales Bishop, inauguration of the installation of a painting of Jose Antonio, followed by a cultural/musical event
- Interfaith Ceremony at the border wall & candlelight vigil, 6:30pm to 8:00pm
- Cross-border concert at the Mexico/U.S. border wall, 8:00pm to 10:30pm with Charlie King, Colleen Kattau, the Peace Poets, emma's revolution, Natalia Serna La Muna, Olmeca, Pablo Peregrina, and Son Jarocho
Sunday, October 9 -
- 9am to 1:30pm: ¡No Más! No More! & Presentes, musicians, protest, and art at the border wall We will commemorate those whose lives were lost as a result of state violence. Speakers will include [archive.is/O51ty]: Shannon Rivers, a member of the Akimel O'odham tribe; Padre Prisciliano Peraza, coordinator of CCAMYN in Altar, Sonora; Carlotta of People Helping People from Arivaca; Hector Aristizabal, Colombian human rights activist and torture survivor; Mariela Nájera Romero and Uriel Gamaliel Guzmán, Las Patronas; Marleny Reyes Castillo, Civic Council of Popular and Indigenous Organizations of Honduras (COPINH), Maria Guadalupe Guereca Betancourt and Araceli; Carlos Garcia, Puente; Frier Tomás González Castillo coordinator of La 72, Hogar Refugio para Personas migrantes y refugiadas, en Tenosique, Tabasco; George Paz Martin, peace and justice and climate activist and educator; and there will be musical performances by Francisco Herrera, Natalia Serna La Muna, Gabino Palomares and others
- TUCSON - Informal gathering/continuation of work from previous day's POC Space for those that cannot or choose not to travel to Nogales (time & location TBA)
Monday, October 10 -
- Vigil for José Antonio Elena Rodríguez (time & location TBA)
- 10am Block Party - Indigenous People Day 2016 at the Global Justice Center in Tucson, Arizona (225 E 25th St., Tucson, AZ 85713). Neoglyphix, Barrio Mindz, live art, dancers, and music in Resistance + Respect.
If you are still around in the morning on Tuesday, October 11, you can join our friends from the Nuclear Resister from 7am to 8:30am for a rally at the Davis Monthan Air Force Base in Tucson (Craycroft Road Entrance at Golf Links)
Live from the #ConvergenceAtTheBorder -
Couldn’t make it to the first ever Border Encuentro in Arizona and Mexico? Or are you with us at the Border and looking for ways to share with your community?
Join us here at:
- SOAW Livestream [soaw.org/border/livestream]
- SOAW Facebook page [facebook.com/closethesoa]
See live streaming of all the weekend's events in Eloy, Tucson, and Nogales, Arizona. You can join in, wherever you are in the world, and help spread the word! #ConvergenceAtTheBorder
At the heart of the 2016 School of the Americas Watch Encuentro is increasing awareness of the militarization of the US-Mexico border and Latin America, as well as the criminalization of immigrants, asylum seekers, refugees and people of color.
This is the first time SOA Watch is turning all eyes onto the borderlands and the way this country has responded to the mass migration coming from our neighbors to the south.
Most importantly, the annual gathering wants to reinforce solidarity during times where xenophobia, racism and imprisoning humans for profit seem to be at all-time high.
Join us as we live stream the event’s taking place from October 7 to 10 in Nogales, Arizona and Nogales, Sonora. The workshops include talks on how the US has spread mass incarceration in Mexico; the human rights crisis faced on the border; the deportation of veterans; and indigenous resistance: from the Tohono O’odham Nation to the Lenca peoples of Honduras fighting against military repression, as they struggle with the detrimental effects capitalism has had on their environment and livelihoods.
With much respect, dignity, justice and self-determination for all peoples.
* "#NoWar2016 Conference in D.C." (2016-09-30, veteransforpeace.org) [archive.is/JEHCB]:
Win Without War, along with a number of other organizations hosted #NoWar 2016 conference in Washington DC September 23rd-26th. #NoWar2016 was a series of panels and workshops, plus an awards ceremony and direct action. The conference was sold out and universally praised in high terms.
Executive Director Michael McPhearson spoke on "Changing War Culture to Peace Culture": "The peace movement needs to help confront injustice and bring about justice so that we can achieve the change we seek. None of the movements can do it alone. We must do it together. No justice, no peace!"
Click Here to see his whole speech [archive.is/3rbyE], video [youtube.com/watch?v=Cc-zzaT3Vlg].
Also be sure to check out other VFP members and Advisory Board members who were also panelists [archive.is/TKvn3]: Leah Bolger, Bruce Gagnon, Bill Fletcher, Kathy Kelly, John Dear, David Swanson, and Medea Benjamin!
* "Veterans For Peace Statement in Support of the Pipeline Resistance at Standing Rock" (2016-09-09, veteransforpeace.org) [archive.is/obnf6]
* "Veterans For Peace Demands North Carolina Remove National Guard From Charlotte" (2016-09-26, veteransforpeace.org) [archive.is/WsIPm]. The VFP know that militarization at home and militarization abroad are interconnected. Working for peace abroad means working for peace at home.
* "California scholars decry ‘assault on academic freedom in the interest of one foreign gov’t, Israel’ " (2016-10-10, mondoweiss.net) [archive.is/HOdvx]
* "Against Canary Mission: Statement Condemning the Blacklisting of pro-BDS Student Activists" (2016-10-05, mlaboycott.wordpress.com) [archive.is/5oHOh]
* " 'Occupation is not my Judaism' report back Sept. 28" (2016-09-28, from Jim Haber, organizer with Jewish Voice for Peace, jvp-bayarea.org):
"Occupation is not my Judaism": Report-back about a delegation to Palestine in July 2016 organized by the Center for Jewish Nonviolence (CJNV)
Wednesday, September 28, 7:00 to 9:00 pm
Alan Blueford Center for Justice
2434 Telegraph Ave. Oakland, CA 94612
Donation hat will be passed and will be shared with CJNV, our Palestinian partners, and the Alan Blueford Center. Here is a link to some photos I took on the trip. The presentation on Sept. 28 will NOT be a mere re-showing of these images. What I experienced were all of the following: upsetting and inspiring, chilling and touching, profound and pathetic. We were a group of 50 Jewish activists following the direction of our outstanding Palestinian partners in their "existence is resistance" struggle for liberation. The oppression and dispossession are worsening in the weeks since my return, so I am compelled to share about it any way possible, as soon as possible, as much as possible. Get in touch if you want more references, or if you want more details, or if you want to set up something more.
Here is a link to a radio interview with me with KALW's Dore Stein on the August 20 edition of Tangents about the CJNV trip [is.gd/pd7Hj6]. Tangents is dedicated to genre-blending, cross-cultural music. Each week, Dore's show includes a segment called "Gaza Corner" that has news from the Middle East. I was honored to be a rare guest in studio. Go to the link and scroll down to August 20. I also got to pick and introduce a couple of songs as a musical interlude, so it was also the debut of my alter-ego, dj-i-m! He has links there to other articles about the CJNV delegation and other important news from the region.
ONLINE ACTION ITEM AGAINST ORGANIZATIONS FUNDING BEDOUIN DISPOSSESSION
Live link [is.gd/VWdaZD].
Please sign this petition to get the United States Treasury Department to stop according federal nonprofit status to groups like Regavim, an organization that is actively promoting the destruction of Bedouin communities on behalf of encroaching, Jewish-only settlements. They are dispossessing the Palestinians including villagers I lived and worked with in July in Susiya and Umm Il-Kheir. Please sign and circulate the petition. It is part of a growing effort to undercut U.S. support for the increasingly brutal apartheid system Israel has put in place.
Petition text [begin]:
To: Treasury Secretary Jack Lew
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requirements are clear about the criteria organizations must meet to benefit from tax-deductible, charitable donations: Their activities must not be “illegal [or] contrary to a clearly defined and established public policy.”
Under Democratic and Republican administrations, opposition to settlement expansion has been a clearly defined American policy. Furthermore, the US and the international community have determined that settlements are illegal under international law. Yet, organizations engaging in activities which are helping to dispossess Palestinians of their land and aiding the spread of settlements continue to benefit from tax-deductible American contributions.
I am calling on the Treasury Department to review whether such donations should benefit from tax-deductible treatment under existing IRS requirements and, if not, to end their tax-deductibility. [end
ISSA AMRO, FOUNDER OF HEBRON'S YOUTH AGAINST SETTLEMENTS SPEAKING IN NOR. CALIFORNIA IN OCTOBER!
From October 19 to 25, Issa Amro, founder of Hebron's Youth Against Settlements will be in northern California. He was amazing to work with when I was there. We totally followed his lead, and he is a powerhouse of an angel. He is also being attacked with frivolous lawsuits.
You want to meet him! For more background and details about other events with Issa, check out his website, live link [is.gd/PwrOH0]:
> Oct. 19: Sacramento
> Oct. 20: Santa Rosa
> Oct. 21: Oakland and Berkeley
> Oct. 22 afternoon and Oct. 23 morning: Santa Cruz
> Oct. 24: San Francisco
Sign a petition in support of Issa Amro, live link [is.gd/esKgJ1].
Petition text [begin]: Dear Secretary Kerry-
Palestinian activist Issa Amro, who has been recognized as a human rights defender by the European Union and the United Nations, is facing an Israeli military “trial” on September 25. Mr. Amro’s case is an example of widespread targeting of human rights activists using old and exaggerated charges in a military court system whose conviction rate for Palestinians is over 99%.
As civil and human rights advocates and faith groups, we ask that you call on the Israeli government to drop the politically-motivated charges against Issa Amro and other human rights activists. [end]
"Palestine belongs to the Arabs in the same sense that England belongs to the English or France to the French...And now a word to the Jews in Palestine. I have no doubt that they are going about it the wrong way. They can settle in Palestine only by the goodwill of the Arabs...As it is, they are co-sharers with the British in despoiling a people who have done no wrong to them...According to the accepted canons of right and wrong, nothing can be said against the Arab resistance in the face of overwhelming odds." -Mahatma Gandhi, 1938
* "Chicago Reportback: 'Occupation is not our Judaism' " (2016-08-07) [archive.is/PpeMS]:
Come hear from participants in "Occupation is not my Judaism," the recent Jewish diaspora solidarity delegation to Hebron and the South Hebron Hills organized by the Center for Jewish Nonviolence (CJNV).
CJNV is an organization of Jews from across the world and across the political spectrum who demand an end to the occupation.
Participants leveraged their privilege as Jews and as foreigners to participate in acts civil disobedience with Palestinian organizers and community members, exposing the various ways in which the Israeli Occupation represses Palestinians living in the West Bank.
- Escorting Palestinian villagers to the site of their destroyed former village from which they have been banned. The village had been turned into an archeological tourism site Israel.
- Working with Palestinians to clear rubble to build a movie theater in Hebron, in defiance of Israeli military orders. 6 Israeli-American participants were detained by the Israeli military while a number of others risked arrest by engaging in a sit-in. More coverage is available here.
Participants on 8/7 will include:
- Avra Shapiro, If Not Now
- Rabbi Brant Rosen, Jewish Voice for Peace
- Scout Bratt, Jewish Voice for Peace
- Ashley Bohrer, CJNV Senior Campaign Organizer
- Abby Harris-Ridiker, If Not Now
* "Jewish, Palestinian activists try to build a cinema in Hebron; As soldiers and settlers look on, dozens of foreign Jews join Palestinians in the segregated city of Hebron try ‘to make the unbearable a little more bearable.’ Police detain six Israelis among the group, prevent others from even joining" (2016-07-15, 972mag.com) [archive.is/bE4dX]
* "Using My Jewish Privilege To Make a Difference for Palestinians in Hebron" (2016-07-18, forward.com) [archive.is/cHJeE]
* "Peter Beinart joins US Jews for civil rights-style protest in West Bank; Activists stage sit-in, refuse military order to leave Palestinian property in Hebron; Israeli police detain 6" (2016-07-18, timesofisrael.com) [archive.is/QcnRn], photo caption: Ethan Buckner, second from left in front, and other activists from the Center for Jewish Nonviolence protesting outside the jail in the West Bank Jewish settlement Kiryat Arba, July 16, 2016.
* "Women's Boat to Gaza Taken: VFP Member Ann Wright On Board; Zaytouna-Oliva taken in International Waters: Whereabouts of Participants Unknown" (2016-10-05, veteransforpeace.org) [archive.is/DAOrT].
This afternoon, the Women's Boat to Gaza was making good progress to the shores and the women were emotional about meeting all the people in Gaza who were waiting for them. Some of the Palestinians had spent the night at the beach to greet them.
At 9:58 (EST) organizers lost total contact with the Zaytouna-Oliva. The US embassy confirmed that the boat was intercepted. At this time organizers do not know where occupants of the boat are being held.
It is important to know that this happened in international waters and it is not only illegal but sets a bad precedent in giving a greenlight for other nations to attack civilian ships in international waters. The Zaytouna-Oliva was carrying no material aid. This was by design because Israel, as a premise for their attacks, would claim that weapons and contraband were on board. The owner of Zaytouna-Oliva is Israeli.
Ann has traveled thousands of miles and made a great sacrifice for human rights.
Unlike other nations that have women on the boat, we Americans provide military equipment to Israel that may very well have been used against Ann and our international friends. The blockade on Gaza must end!
Video with Ann Wright [youtube.com/watch?v=h9ddqsYxvPg].
For the most up-to-date information, follow Women's Boat to Gaza on Twitter [twitter.com/gazafflotilla] or check their website [wbg.freedomflotilla.org] for ongoing updates.
* "Crew of all-women Freedom Flotilla heading to Gaza reportedly detained by Israeli forces" (2016-10-05, maannews.com) [is.gd/VUVHjA]
* "Who is on board the Gaza-bound Zaytouna Flotilla?" (2016-10-05) [youtube.com/watch?v=nq0ncJrs624]
* "Women's boat to Gaza release SOS messages" (2016-10-05) [youtube.com/watch?v=Ws8Nwchs1j0]: Women's boat to Gaza has released pre-recorded SOS messages by activists on board, as communication has been lost with the Zaytouna boat suggesting it has been intercepted by the Israeli Navy.
* "Israel stops Women’s Boat to Gaza; The Israeli Navy has intercepted the Women's Boat to Gaza bout 35 nautical miles from the coast of the besieged Strip" (2016-10-05, middleeastmonitor.com) [archive.is/QfenQ]
* "Israel intercepts boat seeking to break Gaza blockade; All-female activist boat carrying aid from Spain to the Gaza Strip is taken into Israeli custody" (2016-10-05, aljazeera.com) [archive.is/Pczm9]
* "Crew of all-women Freedom Flotilla heading to Gaza reportedly detained by Israeli forces" (2016-10-05, maannews.com) [is.gd/VUVHjA]
* "Zaytouna-Oliva Women to be ‘deported’ / Details Emerge about the Capture" (2016-10-06, wbg.freedomflotilla.org) [archive.is/ntUWp]
* "Roger Waters Sets the Record Straight: I Hate Apartheid, Not Israel; Gideon Levy spent 24 hours with the former Pink Floyd singer, who has become one of the leading lights in the BDS movement. A conversation on political views, tragic family history – and when the rock star-turned-activist will be happy to play in Israel again" (2015-08-02, haaretz.com) [archive.is/IRZjq]
* "Roger Waters: Pink Floyd star on why his fellow musicians are terrified to speak out against Israel; 'If they say something they will no longer have a career – I have been accused of being a Nazi and an anti-Semite' " (2016-02-19, independent.co.uk) [archive.is/Uu7n9]
* "Pink Floyd 'reunites' to support Gaza flotilla; The three living members of the band posted on Facebook their support for the Zaytouna-Oliva flotilla and decried the Israel Navy's intervention as 'illegal' " (2016-10-06, ynetnews.com) [archive.is/Rl7qr]: Thursday night, the disbanded musical group Pink Floyd "united" to express their support for the Zaytouna-Oliva flotilla that sought to break the blockade on Gaza and that was stopped by the Israeli Navy on Wednesday.
In a message posted to their Facebook page on Thursday [archive.is/sFPOs], the three living members of the band, David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Roger Waters, wrote that they "stand united in support of the Women of the Gaza Freedom Flotilla, and deplore their illegal arrest and detention in international waters by the Israeli Defense Force."
The somewhat misleading header was "Pink Floyd reunites to stand with the Women of the Gaza Freedom Flotilla.
Roger Waters is no newcomer to criticizing Israel. In the past, he has called on other artists to join him in a cultural boycott against the Jewish state and refuse to come here to perform. Gilmour and Mason, for their part, tend to avoid directly commenting on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
One year ago, Jewish American radio personality Howard Stern delivered a seven-minute rant on a recent broadcast of his show against Walters, asking "What is with Roger Waters and the Jews?" [archive.is/h16Qu].
* "Pink Floyd reunites to stand with the Women of the Gaza Freedom Flotilla" complete text of statement posted to the Pink Floyd official Facebook page on Thursday [archive.is/sFPOs]: David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Roger Waters stand united in support of the Women of the Gaza Freedom Flotilla, and deplore their illegal arrest and detention in international waters by the Israeli Defense Force.
Towards the Mumbai World Conference Against War, Exploitation and Precarious Labour (November 18-20, 2016) -
* "OWC 2016: Solidarity with the Struggle of the South African Students!" (2016-10-08):
To all supporters of labour rights and civil liberties around the world,
To all supporters of the World Conference Against War, Exploitation and Precarious Labour (Mumbai, 18-20 November 2016):
Dear comrades, friends, brothers and sisters,
We have been informed by labour activists from South Africa -- who will be attending the Mumbai World Conference Against War, Exploitation and Precarious Labour -- that students in South Africa have engaged a broad mobilisation against the government's decision to increase fees in South African universities. The minister of higher education, Mr. Blade Nzimande, allowed universities to increase by 8% the registration fees for next year.
Tens of thousands of students went on strike and took to the streets to say: "Fees Must Fall!" They demand free higher education for all students -- as promised 22 years ago by the new South African government, after the fall of the racist regime of Apartheid.
South African students received the active support of one of the main trade unions in the country, NUMSA (metal workers), whose general secretary, Irvin Jim, stated:
"We reiterate our full support for the students, and urge them to intensify the struggle for free education and unite with primary and high school learners, and young workers, employed and unemployed. . . . We repeat our demands to the ANC government: Accept the demand of the students for free tertiary education. Put an end to the buying and selling of education and to deliver free public pre-primary, primary, high school and tertiary education for all! Accept the demand of the students for an immediate moratorium on fee increases and to abolish fees!"
But the only answer given by the government was brutal repression. Police shot on students with rubber bullets, on September 28 in Cape Town and on Johannesburg campuses, as well as on October 4 in Wits (Johannesburg). On October 4, 17 students were arrested. Some of them were released today.
On behalf of Organising Committee of the Mumbai World Conference Against War, Exploitation and Precarious Labour, we would like to express our full support to the struggle of the South African students!
We call upon the South African government to immediately stop any and all forms of repression against the students. We urge the South African authorities to listen to the legitimate demands of the students for free higher public education!
Every activist, student, or labour organisation that wishes to express their solidarity with the students can send their resolutions and statements to <email@example.com>; we will forward them to our friends in South Africa.
Co-Convenor, Trade Union Solidarity Committee,
Mumbai World Conference Against War, Exploitation and Precarious Labour
* InfoInter newsletter (n. 12, 2016-10-07. Organizing Committee for the Mumbai Conference) (.pdf) [is.gd/exhsmK]
* (2016-10-08, Homies Unidos) [archive.is/DoX80]: Homies Unidos Los Angeles, is sadden to hear of the death of one our director of Homies Unidos El Salvador, he was laid to rest October 6.
Luis Romero known to us as Pansa Loca came to Homies Unidos in El Salvador in 1996 from he had been deported from the U.S. and learned how to work with youth in gangs and their families no matter their neighborhood they were from.
* "Take Action: Honduran Authorities Should Not Feel Canada's Trust" (2016-10-05, miningwatch.ca) [archive.is/jyoSa] [begin excerpt]:
Seven months have passed since the brutal murder of Indigenous activist Berta Cáceres in Honduras and the attempted murder of Mexican activist Gustavo Castro, and we are still a long way from justice. While several people have been detained for this crime, there is little confidence that the investigation – plagued with irregularities, including that the investigation files have been stolen not just once, but twice – will lead to convictions or that the authors of the crime will be identified. Ms. Cáceres' high profile murder means no activist is safe in Honduras. [...]
Contrary to standing on the side of justice, Canada has continued to provide support to the Honduras government that seems to be part of what is preventing a truly independent investigation according to the wishes of Berta's family and her organization, the Civic Council of Popular and Indigenous Peoples of Honduras (COPINH). [...]
Notably, the repression, threats and attacks against COPINH haven’t stopped since the murder of Berta, rather they have escalated. Nelson García was killed only days after Berta was murdered [archive.is/x9ldQ]. Then, on July 6th, Lesbia Yaneth Urquía Urquía was murdered [archive.is/zb0ex] in apparent connection with her opposition to another hydroelectric dam project on Lenca territory, the Aurora I project in the municipality of San José, La Paz. [end excerpt]
* "Little Safety in Honduras" (2016-10-05, letter by Erich Pica, to the editor of nytimes.com) [archive.is/qfzOj]:
Re: “End U.S. Support for the Thugs of Honduras’’ (Op-Ed, Sept. 22) [archive.is/dh6ZY]: As the op-ed points out, the shocking assassination of the environmental defender Berta Cáceres is emblematic of how no environmentalist, human rights defender, indigenous activist or dissident in Honduras is safe. Despite global outrage over the murder and pressure for an independent, international investigation, the office of the Honduran attorney general-equivalent says such an investigation into Ms. Cáceres’s murder is not needed. This is despite evidence that suggests individuals affiliated with the hydroelectric company DESA were involved in the murder, and that very powerful individuals in Honduras may also be connected.
Since the 2009 coup, the Honduran government has enabled numerous development projects while disregarding environmental and human rights concerns. DESA’s planned dams on the Gualcarque River that Ms. Cáceres opposed are an example of these harmful projects; palm oil plantations displacing campesinos in the Aguan Valley — where over 100 campesinos have been killed in recent years — are another.
The “Berta Cáceres Human Rights in Honduras Act,” co-sponsored by almost 40 members of Congress, would be an appropriate way to apply pressure to end impunity in cases like this and ensure that people, forests, rivers and land in Honduras are not treated as mere disposable objects.
* "Hillary Clinton's Emails and the Honduras Coup" (2016-09-23, by Alexander Main, cepr.net) [archive.is/sjZ1P] [begin excerpt]: A number of Clinton emails show how, starting shortly after the coup, HRC and her team shifted the deliberations on Honduras from the Organization of American States (OAS)—where Zelaya could benefit from the strong support of left-wing allies throughout the region—to the San José negotiation process in Costa Rica. There, representatives of the coup regime were placed on an equal footing with representatives of Zelaya’s constitutional government, and Costa Rican president Oscar Arias (a close U.S. ally) as mediator. Unsurprisingly, the negotiation process only succeeded in one thing: keeping Zelaya out of office for the rest of his constitutional mandate.
From the outset, U.S. interests and policy goals in Honduras were clearly identified in the emails that darted back and forth between Clinton and her advisors. On the day of the coup (June 28, 2009), Tom Shannon, the outgoing Assistant Secretary for Western Hemisphere Affairs, provided an update for Clinton and her close staff that noted that he was “calling the new SouthCom Commander to ensure a coordinated U.S. approach [since] we have big military equities in Honduras through Joint Task Force Bravo at Soto Cano airbase.” A later email, with talking points for a phone call between Clinton and the Spanish foreign minister, indicated that Clinton’s team was already focused on making sure that Honduras’ upcoming national elections would take place on schedule (in November of 2009):
We hope Spain will work with us and the OAS to ensure a restoration of democratic order that will allow Honduras to carry through with its electoral timetable (presidential vote scheduled for November).
This talking point would prove to be mostly false. In later emails we see how the OAS is removed from the U.S. agenda, and the “restoration of democratic order” takes a back seat to the State Department’s goal of going forward with Honduras’ November elections no matter what. [end excerpt]
* "As Syria Burns, Damascus Takes a Day to Celebrate Their City: Syrians frolicked and threw brightly-colored dust to celebrate an "I Love Damascus Day" peace rally and marathon" (2016-10-07, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/u6aJW]: On Friday morning, thousands of young Syrians marched in Damascus carrying messages of peace and love by scattering colored dust into the air and rallying in what they called "I Love Damascus Day."
Against the daily backdrop of war and terror, youth marched and danced, throwing colored powder in celebration. They vowed that Syria would achieve victory over extremism. The event coincided with the 43rd anniversary of the liberation war when Syria and Egypt led a coalition of Arab states against Israel. Organizers hope to make the march the beginning of various events for the Damascus youth volunteer team.
teleSUR takes a look at the people of Syria who are choosing hope rather than fear and war.
* "Syrian Youth March for Peace in Damascus" (2016-10-07) [youtube.com/watch?v=mY_Ju9eVLNY]
* "October 8th - Day of the Heroic Guerrilla" (2016-10-07, via Freedom Archives News Digest, Vol 155, Issue 7):
Today, October 8, the world recognizes the most famous and prominent revolutionary of the 20th century, Ernesto "Che" Guevara de la Serna. In Cuba, the site of his final resting place, this day is known as "The Day of the Heroic Guerilla." Argentinean born, the doctor met Cuban revolutionaries in exile in Mexico. After meeting Dr. Fidel Castro, he signed up to be the 2nd member of Castro's revolutionary army (the 1st was Castro's brother, Raul Castro) and returned to Cuba in a poorly equipped ship called the Granma in 1956 to wage a guerrilla war.
They set up a rebel base in the Sierra Maestra Mountains. At first, Che was the field unit's doctor but after volunteering for some of the more daring missions, he grew in prominence. Despite his severe asthma, Che grew from a soldier to a military commander. In the final stages of the revolutionary war, he captured the strategic city of Santa Clara which facilitated the fall of Havana to the rebel army. A true internationalist, he resigned from the Cuban government to go fight for revolution in first Africa and then Bolivia. On October 8, 1967, he was captured alive by Bolivian armed forces, who were trained in anti-guerrilla warfare by the American CIA. Anyone who knows Guevaran history can conclude that he was not one to be taken alive. In fact, his rifle had become incapacitated and thus, he did not have the option to die fighting and was captured alive. He was executed the next day.
The Bolivian authorities buried his body in a secret location because they feared that people would build a shrine on his final resting place and that it would turn into a pilgrimage site. His martyrdom, nevertheless, survived and his revolutionary message grew to be bigger in death than in life, so much so, that they even made songs dedicated to him on the other side of the globe. After restoring diplomatic ties with one another, Cuba sent an excavation team to Bolivia in 1997 and retrieved Che's body and brought it back to Cuba and buried it in the city that he captured in the revolutionary war, Santa Clara. 38 years after his death, his tomb is Cuba's main tourist attraction and is an international pilgrimage site. Che certainly left behind a living legacy of resistance.
* "On the Day of the Heroic Guerrilla, we remember Che Guevara" (2012-10-09, pflp.ps) [archive.is/PcWEP]
* " 'Year of Agriculture': Farewell letter from Che to Fidel Castro" [archive.is/zacs]:
* "Donbass internationalists salute Che Guevara on 49th anniversary of his death; InterUnit: Tribute to Che" (2016-10-09, translated by Greg Butterfield for redstaroverdonbass.blogspot.de) [archive.is/w8OXV], photo [archive.is/0FugW]:
More relevant than ever, your example of proletarian internationalism pushes us forward in the struggle for the emancipation of all.
From the free lands of Novorossiya, on the front line of the anti-fascist struggle, the volunteers of InterUnit shout out:
¡Hasta siempre, comandante!
Internacionalistas 36 II
Facebook page [is.gd/6lpDf3], description: Internacionalistas 36, en apoyo del pueblo de Novorossia masacrado por el ejército de Ucrania con el beneplácito de nuestro gobierno, la U.E. y los EE.UU
[Note from translator]: In 2015, the Ghost Brigade (Prizrak) of Novorossiya created an internationalist anti-fascist military unit called InterUnit, which operates in the territories of the Lugansk People's Republic. InterUnit is a military-political group composed of volunteers from around the world defending Donetsk and Lugansk from the U.S.-backed regime in Ukraine. It carries on the heritage of the Resistance against Nazism and other liberation struggles of the last century, and takes its motto from the Spanish Civil War: “No Pasarán!”
* "SBU arrested Brazilian volunteer of Viking" (2016-10-06, novorossia.today) [is.gd/zCqexC]: A citizen of Brazil that according to the words of SBU workers fought at the side of the DPR was arrested in the International airport Borispol. It has been reported by the Prosecutor’s office of Kiev on October 6.
According to the department, the Brazilian was arrested at abut 9 am.
They revealed that he was since September 2014 in the battalion Viking of the DPR.
He took part in defence operations in Vergulyovka, Pervomayskoe, Gorlovka, Starobeshevo, Debaltsevo and Donetsk airport.
(more information from original article, machine translated) [archive.is/aVRM8]: It was found that from September 2014 to May 2015 the foreigner was a member of the 1st infantry battalion "Viking" DNR 1st Brigade. Served with the function of the control company, is an instructor and scout. He also participated in the fighting in the area with. Vergulevka, May Day, Gorlovka, Starobeshevo, in the battles of Debaltsevo and Donetsk airport "- said the prosecutor's office.
In addition, performing the role of the instructor of the battalion "Ghost", in the area of Alchevsk Brazilian formed of foreigners, mostly of his fellow citizens, 120 mm mortar battery of the 1st Battalion of the 1st brigade of the DNI. He made several reconnaissance trips to the position of the Ukrainian Armed Forces and adjust artillery fire on the Ukrainian positions.
* (2016-10-06, by Gearóid Ó Colmáin) [archive.is/UXIpF]: I am giving a talk in Shannon, Ireland on Saturday. The event has been canceled by three hotels. It is not a coincidence. Powerful people want to stop this seminar. But we will persevere. I will be in Shannon talking in a tent outside the Airport about the North Atlantic Terrorist Organisation known as NATO. There will be sparks flying! Please come and support us if you are in the area! Read more: "Another Booking Cancellation for Seminar on US Imperialism and Militarization" (2016-10-05, shannonwatch.org) [archive.is/B5XM9]
BAY AREA PEACE COUNCIL: World Context & Events
* "How Paramilitarism is Driving a Wedge Between Venezuela and Colombia; In August, Colombian paramilitaries critically injured Venezuelan soldiers. The subsequent crackdown on their illegal activity has exposed the depth and breadth of the problem of these death squads, which were created in Colombia and are being exported elsewhere in the region" (2015-09-17, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/Y2CZH]
* "How Colombia’s voters rejected peace" (2016-10-04, newyorker.com) [archive.is/hKeeW]
* "Colombians narrowly reject peace accord to end 52-year war with FARC rebels" news compilation (2016-10-03, newcoldwar.org) [archive.is/JnwuC]
* "Colombia Peace Referendum: Disappointing Results, but Colombians Remain Committed to Peace" (2016-10-05, SOAW.org):
Amid accusations that former right-wing President Alvaro Uribe and his allies sabotaged the vote, the defeat of the Colombia peace agreement by a mere 0.43% or 60,000 votes in Sunday's referendum in Colombia (after polls had predicted a 60% approval) serves as a reminder that we have to stay vigilant, and that the work for peace takes all of our energy and commitment. It is a bitter, emotional pill to swallow, but the quest for Peace in Colombia undoubtedly marches on.
We are standing with the people of Colombia who continue to pushing the agenda for Peace with justice and dignity.
For a deep, personal analysis by U.S./Colombian NLG attorney, Natali Segovia, who was present in Colombia for the vote, please read the following.
* "Macondo: Peace in the Land of Oblivion" (2016-10-04, truth-out.org) [archive.is/WFrIJ]
* "Hugo Chavez Paved the Way for Peace in Colombia: Maduro; Maduro recalled how Chavez was attacked by reactionary forces in both Venezuela and those in Colombia who rejected talks between the FARC-EP and government" (2016-09-28, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/gcbvS]
* "Nobel Peace Prize awarded to Colombian President Santos for FARC deal" (2016-10-07, rt.com) [archive.is/HRrZF]
* "Nobel Hypocrisy as Colombia Marxists Excluded from Prestigious Peace Prize; Breaking precedent, annual award only given to leader on one side of peace agreement, Colombia's conservative President Juan Manuel Santos" (2016-10-07, commondreams.org) [archive.is/Qb4Jk]
* "Colombia's Santos meets rival in race to save peace deal" (2016-10-05, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/uAbJA] [begin excerpt]: Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos said Wednesday peace with the FARC rebels is "close," but his top opponent demanded an overhaul of a "weak" deal rejected by voters in a referendum. Seeking to salvage the peace process on which he has staked his legacy, Santos held a meeting with his predecessor and former boss, Alvaro Uribe, who has branded him a traitor for negotiating with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC). [end excerpt]
* "Colombia ceasefire with FARC to end October 31: Santos" (2016-10-05, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/RB91p]
* "Venezuela's Maduro Asks Colombian President to Keep Cease-Fire; Santos announced Tuesday during a televised address that the ceasefire with the FARC-EP would only be valid until Oct. 31" (2016-10-06, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/QyQ6w]
* "Colombian street artists graffiti for peace" (2016-10-05, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/Ni2a0]
* "The American-Made Catastrophe in Yemen; While US officials condemn Russian war crimes in Syria, the US-Saudi coalition in Yemen is committing the same - but the media is silent" (2016-10-06, middleeasteye.net) [archive.is/BAJl9]
* "Yemen: A Desperation Saudi Genocide Backed by Obama" (2016-04-06, journal-neo.org) [archive.is/Td56T]
* "Saudi Arabia’s Slaughter Of Yemen Fueled By Oil Interests Not Democracy More than 8,900 people have died in the year-long Western-backed Saudi onslaught against Yemen. The kingdom says it’s fighting to promote democracy and to save Yemen from Iran, but analysis of the actions of its lethal coalition reveal another side to the story" (2016-03-30, mintpressnews.com) [archive.is/wsAoI]
* "Yemen funeral bombing: US to ‘immediately review’ support for Saudi-led coalition" (2016-10-09, rt.com) [archive.is/ccwVk]
* "OPEC chief says cartel lost $1tn to oil price bust" (2016-10-11, rt.com) [archive.is/ecC4U]
* "War without end: Things to know as Afghanistan invasion turns 15" (2016-10-07, rt.com) [archive.is/PXd81], attached video [is.gd/1yKGbY]
* "15 years on, the Afghan war still defies US timelines" (2016-10-07, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/jGWPq]
* "On the 15th Anniversary of the Afghanistan War, Peace Action Demands an End" (2016-10-07, peace-action.org) [archive.is/pOOnD]
* "Fifteen Years of Lessons Not Learned" (2016-10-07, by Howard Zinn) [archive.is/Afquz]
* "Opium growth in Afghanistan soars, eradication close to zero – UN" (2016-10-06, rt.com) [archive.is/qPzd7]
* "Sale of tear gas & water cannon to ‘human rights-abusing’ Gulf nations worth millions to UK" (2016-10-04, rt.com) [archive.is/0rY4o]
* "UN calls on Saudi Arabia to stop torturing, executing minors in scathing report" (2016-10-08, rt.com) [archive.is/qC62Z]
* "Human Rights Groups to Obama: Time to Follow Through on Drone Promises; A letter sent Thursday lists '10 US Strikes Requiring Investigation and Acknowledgement' by the US government" (2016-10-07, commondreams.org) [archive.is/pv5jh]
* "Glazyev: Eurasia needs an ideology to fight the American-Nazi regime in Kiev" (2016-10-07, politnavigator.net) [archive.is/9zXra], (translated by J. Arnoldski) [archive.is/xKvHc]
BAY AREA PEACE COUNCIL: New Cold War News
* "US Signs International Drone Declaration To Corner Market On Death From Above" (2016-10-06, by James Holbrooks) [archive.is/u7n6z] [begin excerpt]:
On Wednesday, the United States and over 40 other countries signed a joint declaration outlining regulations on the import and export of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) — drones — Reuters reports [archive.is/aGFEY].
“The declaration is a political commitment by its signatories that underscores growing international consensus that UAVs are subject to international law and stresses the need for transparency about exports and represents, what we believe, to be an important first step towards comprehensive international standards for the transfer and subsequent use of UAVs,” deputy spokesperson for the State Department, Mark Toner, said at a press briefing on Wednesday [archive.is/fTYIr].
The agreement, titled “Joint Declaration for the Export and Subsequent of Armed or Strike-Enabled Unmanned Aerial Vehicles,” is a simple one-page statement outlining five general principles aimed at combating the “misuse of armed or strike-enabled UAVs,” according to the text.
Essentially, the declaration’s principles will bring signatory nations in line with U.S. drone regulations established by the FAA in February of 2015 [archive.is/ncBNi]. This, as former Pentagon official Michael Horowitz told Defense News in August, is a good way for the United States to “shape” drone policy around the planet [archive.is/sdLIQ].
“One of the best tools the US has to shape how countries use drones, ironically, is to export drones to them, given the ability of the US to leverage arms export rules to shape how other countries use technology,” he said. “Especially if the US increasingly views drone proliferation as inevitable, the Obama administration likely views rules of the road as critical to ensure that the rest of the world uses drones responsibly.”
Horowitz added the declaration provides “a clear statement of US principles” and could be used “to influence the behavior of other states over time.”
Just not the behavior of the states the U.S. would most like to influence, it would seem. Notably, Russia and China — two nations with which the U.S. is currently bordering on war — refused to sign the declaration [archive.is/wAyTx]. [end excerpt]
* "Dangerous New ‘Group Think’ for War with Syria/Russia; Official Washington has a new 'group think' that is even more dangerous than the one that led to the Iraq War. This one calls for U.S. escalation of conflicts against Syria and nuclear-armed Russia" (2016-10-05, by Robert Parry, consortiumnews.com) [archive.is/wF9m2]
* "What We Talk About When We Don’t Want to Talk About Nuclear War; Donald and Hillary Take a No-First-Use Pledge on Relevant Information" (2016-10-04, by Andrew J. Bacevich, intro by tomdispatch.com) [archive.is/zN8o7]
* "Debate Wrap-Up: Tim Kaine and Mike Pence Agreed on Some Terrifying Policies" (2016-10-05, theintercept.com) [archive.is/uh6hi]
* "Mike Pence: Confront The Russian Bear, Impose A No-Fly Zone In Syria" (2016-10-05, by Kurt Nimmo) [archive.is/CkFiu]
* "US vows response to Russian hack at 'time and place of our choosing' " (2016-10-08, AFP Newswire) [is.gd/zaKQ4I]
* "US gov't officially accuses Russia of political hacks" (2016-10-07, rt.com) [archive.is/dmKJm]
* "US accuses Russia of cyber attacks to disrupt election" (2016-10-08, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/jnEGu]
* "US prepared ‘to fight’ in Russia, China missile defense zones – Naval ops chief" (2016-10-05, rt.com) [archive.is/lNMFv]
* "8 Alarming Warning Signs That Indicate War With Russia Could Be Imminent" (2016-10-06, activistpost.com) [archive.is/lll22]
* "Aggressor squadron? Pics of US jets painted in Russian colors spark Syria false flag conspiracy" (2016-10-11, rt.com) [archive.is/bFZef], comment by David R.: This is just regular Agressor Sq., paint jobs . If the the US wanted to do a false flag flight , they have copies of Russian MiG 29's and other Russian Jets that they obtained after 1992 . That's because when Germany reunited the DDR airforce was slowly integrated with the FRD armed forces. So in 2000 the MiG's were sold off to other countries - including the US .
All this shows is they are training more pilots to do dog fighting ... Which is just as alarming.
* "Will Syria be the main battlefield for World War 3?" (2016-10-08, by Eduard Popov, translated by J. Arnoldski) [archive.is/931vB]
* "Assad: Russia is doing everything to avoid direct confrontation with US" (2016-10-06, eadaily.com) [archive.is/O3dKK] (translated by Kristina Kharlova) [archive.is/U92hx]
* "Why Russia was forced to suspend plutonium deal with US: Ambassador's view" (2016-10-06, by Dr. Alexander Yakovenko, Russian Ambassador to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Deputy foreign minister 2005-2011) [archive.is/mZtcr]
* "The Unmourned Plutonium Disposal Deal; An apparent casualty of the New Cold War was a U.S.-Russian agreement for eliminating weapons-grade plutonium but the deal’s death is not being mourned by either side, as Jonathan Marshall explains" (2016-10-05, consortiumnews.com) [archive.is/0t7Pa]
* "Is the first secret bloody clash between Russia and NATO in Syria - the reason for Putin's plutonium ultimatum?" (2016-10-07, by Pavel Shipilin, translated by Kristina Kharlova) [archive.is/xB1Tz]
* "For whom the Bell (Baron Timothy Bell) tolls – The British gunslinger who thought up war with Russia to save himself from court-martial and pay his mortgage" (2016-10-05, johnhelmer.net) [archive.is/TVqGE]
* "Putin: 'The West doesn't like me because they fear me' " (2016-10-08, ria.ru) [archive.is/jio4R] (translated by J. Arnoldski) [archive.is/jrYBQ]
* "From America with Love: George Soros promises Russian Maidan on Putin's Birthday" (2016-10-08, politrussia.com) [archive.is/mRAYV], (translated by J. Arnoldski) [archive.is/ylXPU]
* "Jacob Rothschild: US Has Allies Among Russian Elites" (2016-10-02, cenznet.com) [archive.is/aSUjn] (translated by Kristina Kharlova) [archive.is/4Gtbp] [begin excerpt]:
80-year-old member of the Rothschild dynasty, Jacob Rothschild is confident that the United States can find support in some of the Russian elites, he said on American political TV show.
"The current crisis may last much less time than the cold war. At the moment the US has allies among the Russian elites, who are ready to take over the initiative. In this scenario, ordinary people will not notice anything. The course of Russia's foreign policy will change – this will be presented as some kind of achievement of Russian diplomacy," - said Rothschild.
Meanwhile Rothschild is sure that the so-called conflict of the Russian elites is in the final stage.
"A part of Russian elite insists that the Russian leadership pushes for the lifting of sanctions. Part are against concessions to the West. Next year we'll know who won," - said Rothschild. [end excerpt]
* "Chinese rank US as 'top threat': survey" (2016-10-05, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/75bUa]
* "Majority of Americans see North Korea as threat, support U.S. troops" (2016-10-06, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/Vk9KT]
* "Most of Sudan's oil opportunities have vanished, IMF says; Simmering conflict in the region has pushed many oil companies away" (2016-10-05, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/PyLT3], showing the result of a sustained campaign by the USA to destroy the economic activity of a state-partner with China, a state enemy of the USA in this New Cold War.
* "Russian MoD pondering re-launch of military bases in Cuba and Vietnam – Deputy Defense Minister" (2016-10-07, rt.com) [archive.is/JShEL]
* "Venezuelan President Maduro Hopes to Further Strengthen Relations With Russia; Nicolas Maduro expressed hope for further strengthening of relations with Russia" (2016-10-10, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/9v19s]
* "Russia May Start Wheat Exports to Venezuela by 2017; Russia may start supplying wheat to Venezuela by the end of this year, Russia's agricultural watchdog Rosselkhoznadzor said" (2016-10-05, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/OwUWm]
* "Russia’s Rosneft, Venezuela’s PDVSA Eye Electric Plant Construction in Venezuela; Rosneft and PDVSA discussed a range of cooperation options in the Venezuelan electricity industry development" (2016-07-29, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/lKABb]
* "Venezuela to discuss Algerian oil accord with Russia; Latin American member of OPEC one of the early pushers for an effort to stimulate oil prices" (2016-10-05, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/0U2CW]
* "Venezuela Creates Hugo Chavez Peace Prize, Putin a Frontrunner; The FARC could also emerge victorious if peace in Colombia materializes after a temporary setback" (2016-10-08, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/HBq8w]
* "Vladimir Putin wins the Hugo Chavez Peace Prize; "Whereas the Nobel Peace Prize has been increasingly discredited by its obviously pro-Western bias, the award of Venezuela's newly created Hugo Chavez Peace Price to Vladimir Putin is just and fair" (2016-10-10, theduran.com) [archive.is/eRO0y]
* "Statue of Hugo Chavez Presented as Gift From Russia to Venezuela; Russia has presented a statue of Venezuela’s ex-president Hugo Chavez as a gift for Venezuela, local media report" (2016-10-08, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/T8nuB]
* "Obama has fined 49 companies for violating the Embargo against Cuba" (2016-10-08, via cubaontime.com) [archive.is/tWTia]
* "Iran interested in connecting with NASA" (2016-10-06, MNA Newswire) [archive.is/Ik9ah] [begin excerpt]: The head of Iran's space agency says the country wishes to start cooperation with NASA since it is an international body and not just an American one.
Mohsen Bahrami made the announcement on Tuesday, saying "the level of our space cooperation has increased following the signing of Iran's nuclear deal, and we have inked MoUs with a number of space agencies in other countries."
"We are also hoping to hold talks with NASA and start cooperation with the space administration," he added. [end excerpt]
* (2016-10-04) [archive.is/wAe5v], a humorous note from a concerned citizenry of the USA to the Federation of Russia. A single re-post got 88,702 shares on facebook.com.
* " ‘Peacemaker Putin’: Poster campaign unfurled as ode to Russian president" (2016-10-07, rt.com) [archive.is/IbCI5]
* " ‘Peacemaker’ Putin’s portrait flies on Manhattan Bridge, creates a stir among New Yorkers" (2016-10-06, rt.com) [archive.is/wPFOe]
* "Dresden and Putin's birthday" photos [archive.is/OIVGb], showing the Peacemaker.
* "Putin backs WW2 myth in new Russian film; A new film showing Red Army soldiers outnumbered by invading Germans but battling on heroically has become part of the Kremlin's campaign to restore Russian pride" (2016-10-11, bbc.com) [archive.is/7k5UK] [begin excerpt]: The film shows Kazakhs, Russians and other Russian speakers standing shoulder-to-shoulder to defend the Motherland. It echoes a Russian foreign policy concept: a Moscow-centred "Russian World" united by a common language. [...] Mr Putin and other officials have repeatedly talked about the need to counter the "falsification of history" or "rewriting history". They oppose interpretations of World War Two or other episodes of Soviet history that deviate from officially approved narratives. [end excerpt]
Reactions from journalists around the world:
- (by Michael Jabara Carley): This BBC denigration of the Soviet war effort fits in with a much larger and longer standing effort to render invisible or rather non-existent the primary role of the Red Army in destroying the Nazi Wehrmacht. See my articles on this subject, many of which are hosted at the Strategic Culture Foundation.
- (by M. Florence of London, England): It's been known for a years that MI5 vets BBC journalists.
- (by Alex H.): Truth be told, it likely happened. The heroism displayed by Red Army men and women, partisans, civilians and children is unlike anything ever seen in the world. If you'd like to watch a film that depicts WWII accurately check out 'Come and See', it was released on the 40th anniversary of the conclusion of the Great Patriotic War.
- (by R. Amol of India): Soviet soldiers from non Russian nationality were not mercenaries or forced into fighting war for another country like the British Indian Army. The greatest irony in the world is when the British teach history. They are bigger liars than Nazis. The British propaganda like the Battle of Zulu movie is pure garbage. The Soviet soldiers were defending their country from Nazis, not at-all like the British Indian soldiers who were forcefully taken from from their homeland and deployed in Europe during World War One and used as cannon fodder during British Afghan wars.
From the article: "The film shows Kazakhs, Russians and other Russian speakers standing shoulder-to-shoulder to defend the Motherland. It echoes a Russian foreign policy concept: a Moscow-centred 'Russian World' united by a common language"... BBC is afraid that Russia is trying to do what British did for centuries.
From the article: "In another incident, last year, the authorities in Sverdlovsk region banned the works of two British historians - Antony Beevor and John Keegan - saying they were imbued with Nazi propaganda." I bought Beevor's "Stalingrad" from a scrap book dealer only because it was cheap at 60 Rupees (less than 1 dollar). When I read some chapters in that Beevor tries to portray German soldiers as poor chaps betrayed by their arrogant political leadership and Soviet soldiers as the ones who were forced into the war by "over confident and totalitarian dictatorship" of Stalin, I stopped reading that sh*t afterwards. There is no doubt that it is Nazi apologism. That's the reason why nobody bought that shit and had to be given for scrap.
[further response]: The regular German Army (Wehrmacht) during World War 2 got away with slaughtering millions of noncombatants, with sexual slavery and starvation of civilian population, not to mention they were fully aware why they were killing Jewish people. They are inventing sh*t today, creating a false image that this army was heroic and it was apolitical and it was not at all like the Nazi SS organization. That makes me vomit. Only Nazis would do this type of historical revisionism, but today, it seems to be more of the official narrative.
* "Lukashenko: 'We are ready to die for Belarus and Russia!' " (2016-10-07, russian.rt.com) [archive.is/b0wbv], (translated by J. Arnoldski) [archive.is/KRTYe]
* "Singer James Blunt 'prevented World War III' " (2010-11-14, bbc.com) [archive.is/ngBYk]: Singer James Blunt has told the BBC how he refused an order to attack Russian troops when he was a British soldier in Kosovo. Blunt said he was willing to risk a court martial by rejecting the order from a US General.
But he was backed by British Gen Sir Mike Jackson, who said: "I'm not going to have my soldiers be responsible for starting World War III."
Blunt was ordered to seize an airfield, but the Russians had got there first.
In an interview with BBC Radio 5 live, broadcast on Sunday, he said: "I was given the direct command to overpower the 200 or so Russians who were there.
"I was the lead officer with my troop of men behind us...
"The soldiers directly behind me were from the Parachute Regiment, so they're obviously game for the fight.
"The direct command [that] came in from Gen Wesley Clark was to overpower them. Various words were used that seemed unusual to us. Words such as 'destroy' came down the radio."
The confusion surrounding the taking of Pristina airfield in 1999 has been written about in political memoirs, and was widely reported at the time.
But this is the first time Blunt has given an account of his role in the incident.
Blunt, who was at the head of a column of 30,000 Nato troops with his unit, told Pienaar's Politics it was a "mad situation".
He said he had been "party to the conversation" between senior officers in which Gen Clark had ordered the attack.
"We had 200 Russians lined up pointing their weapons at us aggressively, which was... and you know we'd been told to reach the airfield and take a hold of it.
"And if we had a foothold there then it would make life much easier for the Nato forces in Pristina. So there was a political reason to take hold of this.
"And the practical consequences of that political reason would be then aggression against the Russians."
Asked if following the order would have risked starting World War III, Blunt, who was a 25-year-old cavalry officer at the time, replied: "Absolutely. And that's why we were querying our instruction from an American general.
"Fortunately, up on the radio came Gen Mike Jackson, whose exact words at the time were, 'I'm not going to have my soldiers be responsible for starting World War III', and told us why don't we sugar off down the road, you know, encircle the airfield instead.
"And after a couple of days the Russians there said: 'Hang on we have no food and no water. Can we share the airfield with you?'."
If Gen Jackson had not blocked the order from Gen Clark, who as Nato Supreme Commander Europe was his superior officer, Blunt said he would still have declined to follow it, even at the risk of a court martial.
He said: "There are things that you do along the way that you know are right, and those that you absolutely feel are wrong, that I think it's morally important to stand up against, and that sense of moral judgement is drilled into us as soldiers in the British army."
Blunt left the Army in 2002 to pursue a career in music, later scoring a worldwide hit with You're Beautiful.
* " 'Suddenly he arrived in Moscow': French Foreign Minister" photo (2016-10-06) [archive.is/GBXwa]
* "Putin cancels visit to France amid Syria tensions" (2016-10-11, rt.com) [archive.is/p14ZC]
New Cold War News - NATO Watch
* "NATO Falling Apart Due to Incompatible Weapon Systems, Missing Parts; NATO is a big war machine. But being big doesn't always mean being effective. According to US Lieutenant General Ben Hodges, there are numerous factors impeding NATO’s effectiveness" (2016-10-09, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/7Mr9P] [begin excerpt]: While incompatible refueling nozzles may seem unimportant to some, there are quite crucial parts that require significant improvement, such as communication equipment. Currently, NATO armies are yet to develop a radio that will be, on one hand, well encrypted and jamming-protected, and, on the other hand, standardized among member countries. And, according to Hodges, NATO is running out of time to address this issue:
"We're only going to have five to seven days in a real crisis, so you're going to have to show up and plug right in," he said.
General Hodges's concerns were echoed by those of Lt. Gen. Jörg Vollmer, the German Army chief of staff. Vollmer pointed out that Russia, whom NATO commanders no longer hesitate to name as its main adversary, will never have to deal with all the interoperability problems.
"They all speak the same language, they use the same doctrine, they use the same radios, and they use the same equipment," he said.
But he also pointed out that many military skills that were commonplace during the earlier days, are mainly lost now.
NATO troops have effectively lost their prior experience of some basic military operations, such as making bridges. Not only do NATO armies need to restock their supplies of bridges and other equipment, but they also need to learn how to operate it anew. [end excerpt]
* "NATO to Abstain From Combat Operations Against Daesh in Iraq; NATO will focus on training local forces but will not meddle into direct fight against Daesh in Iraq, the alliance's chief said" (2016-10-05, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/lzhC3]
* "Finland, Estonia accuse Russia of airspace violations" (20106-10-07, AFP newswire) [archive.is/NumcY]
* "U.S. Coast Guard transfers two cutters to Georgian coast guard" (2016-10-06, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/dSbDf]
* "Raytheon to update the Netherlands' Patriot missile system; Contract calls for Raytheon to upgrade Patriot system with the Modern Man Station user interface" (2016-10-06, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/l4qQA]
* "BAE Systems Hagglunds to support Danish army vehicles" (2016-09-23, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/5wks7]
* "AM General to provide Humvees to Afghanistan, Ukraine and U.S. forces" (2016-10-04, UPI Newswire) [is.gd/vzHmB6]
* "U.S. orders non-standard ammunition for allies" (2016-10-05, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/eaUHB]
* "Don’t mention the war: UK, Germany headed for military alliance" (2016-10-07, rt.com) [archive.is/FuQyZ]
Part of the NATO forward projection against influence in the Republic of Egypt by the Federation of Russia...
* "State Dept. approves missile warning system sale to Egypt; Sale would involve common missile warning system for several types of helicopter" (2016-10-07, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/JsbXP]
* "Egypt receives surplus U.S. armored vehicles" (2016-10-03, UPI Newswire) [is.gd/erdhp8]
* "Atlantic Diving Supply to provide Afghan military uniforms Company awarded $7 million contract to provide Afghan army uniforms" (2016-10-07, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/BQPOC]
* "NATO’s Afghan airstrike victims refused compensation by German court" (2016-10-07, rt.com) [archive.is/spdK3]
New Cold War News - Frontline: Syria
* "Sen. Mike Lee: U.S. Can't Bomb Syrian Forces Without Congressional Approval" (2016-10-07, commondreams.org) [archive.is/w7rsu]
* "Syria no-fly zone would mean ‘killing a lot of Syrians’ – leaked Clinton speech" (2016-10-09, rt.com) [archive.is/p3Q8H]
* "Al-Qaeda must be saved, as top Washington Officials are ready to attack Syria without UN resolution" (2016-10-06, theduran.com) [archive.is/YEKvi]
* "MAJOR DEVELOPMENT: US to decide on striking SAA targets" (2016-10-06, ria.ru) [archive.is/twkIe] (translated by J. Arnoldski) [archive.is/Ia7N8]
* "Russia warns U.S., ‘attack Syria and we will shoot down your aircraft’ " (2016-10-06, theduran.com) [archive.is/vTq3R]
* "U.S. backs down over Syria after Russian threat to shoot down American aircraft; Following Russian warning of American aircraft being shot down, White House spokesman confirms plan for U.S. air strikes on Syria has been rejected" (2016-10-07, theduran.com) [archive.is/G7zwY]
* (2016-10-07) [archive.is/s4ezM]:
BREAKING WW3: Russia Will Take Down Any American Airplane or Rocket Targeting Syrian Army. Russia tells Americans going after Syrians would mean war. The neocons have been hankering for a shooting war with Russia. This is their chance.
* "War Hawks Are Sensing an Opening in Syria; Yet the horrific tragedy now unfolding is partially the result of the West’s support for the overthrow of Syria’s secular government by radical Sunni fundamentalists" (2016-10-06, thenation.com) [archive.is/KJcf1]
* "Stephen Cohen: DoD Is Slouching Toward War With Russia in Syria; The proposed Obama-Putin cooperation was killed by its enemies in Washington, with dire implications" (2016-10-07, The John Batchelor Show) [archive.is/u8xHq]
* "Reaping the Whirlwind: Kerry, al-Nusra, Russia and Syria" (2016-10-06, counterpunch.org) [archive.is/Vb5OQ]
* "Russian options against a US attack on Syria" (2016-10-05, thesaker.is) [archive.is/E3eFv] [begin excerpt]: In theory, these are, very roughly, the possible levels of confrontation:
1. A military standoff à la Berlin in 1961. One could argue that this is what is already taking place right now, albeit in a more long-distance and less visible way.
2. A single military incident, such as what happened recently when Turkey shot down a Russian SU-24 and Russia chose not to retaliate.
3. A series of localized clashes similar to what is currently happening between India and Pakistan.
4. A conflict limited to the Syrian theater of war (say like the war between the UK and Argentina over the Malvinas Islands).
5. A regional or global military confrontation between the USA and Russia.
6. A full scale thermonuclear war between the USA and Russia
* "Russia's Lethal PAK-FA Stealth Fighter vs. America's F-22 Raptor: Who Wins? And can Russia manufacture enough of them to matter?" (2016-10-07, nationalinterest.org) [archive.is/FgqJ0]
* "US Army Chief Thunders At Russia: 'We Will Beat You, Stop You - We Will Destroy Any Enemy' ; 'We will beat you harder than you have ever been beaten before - make no mistake about that!' " (2016-10-07, by Paul Kaiser, russia-insider.com) [archive.is/WfJZs]:
Speaking at an annual US Army conference last Tuesday called the AUSA, one of the major confabs for defense contractors sucking at the public teat and their subservient asslickers in the military [archive.is/aJWgM], US army Chief of Staff General Mark A. Milley, almost shouted himself hoarse with a great chest-thumping chickenhawk performance.
Milley seemed to be rallying his colleagues to an oncoming global war, thundering with much bravado, that the US would crush all comers, video [youtube.com/watch?v=VvVrQqU1Gwc]:
“I want to be clear to those who wish to do us harm….the United States military – despite all of our challenges, despite our [operational] tempo, despite everything we have been doing – we will stop you and we will beat you harder than you have ever been beaten before. Make no mistake about that,”
“Other countries – Russia, Iran, China, North Korea – went to school on us,” he said, adding, “They studied our doctrine, our tactics, our equipment, our organization, our training, our leadership. And, in turn, they revised their own doctrines, and they are rapidly modernizing their military today to avoid our strengths in hopes of defeating us at some point in the future.”
Milley went on to bluster this oncoming brawl would “be highly lethal, unlike anything our Army has experienced at least since World War II,” involving fighting in “highly populated urban areas.”
“Make no mistake about it, we can now and we will … retain the capability to rapidly deploy,” he said, “and we will destroy any enemy anywhere, any time,” he added.
Calls from RI to General Milley's office asking him whether he didn't think that perhaps he and other undoubtedly patriotic American soldiers and officers were being manipulated by neocon political leadership to stumble into a completely unnecessary and manufactured global military confrontation went unanswered.
We would also like to ask the General whom he favors in the upcoming elections.
* "ISIS, Not Russia, Is the Enemy in Syria" (2016-10-27, by Patrick Buchanan) [archive.is/uvj5C]
* "Report: U.S. Pacific Command chief tells troops to be ready to 'fight tonight' " (2016-10-07, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/xrHpn], photo caption: Head of the U.S. Pacific Command Adm. Harry Harris told troops on Friday to stand ready for North Korea provocations.
Comment by Daniel C.: Puppets Unite!
UPI blog post author
"Power is also expected to visit the truce village of Panmunjom between the two Koreas on the anniversary of the founding of the Korean Workers' Party on Monday, to deliver a message condemning North Korea provocations, according to News 1."
Harry Harris is the son of a Japanese woman and a U.S. solider stationed in Japan after WWII. Now he is working for the U.S. military. Samantha Powers is the repulsive U.S. ambassador to the U.N. following in the footsteps of Susan Rice who is equally objectionable and her performance at the U.N. was laughable accusing Russia and Syria of violating the ceasefire when it was the U.S. that intentionally broke the ceasefire by launching repeated airstrikes against Syrian forces during a cease fire and later complained when Russia called for an emergency meeting of the U.N. Security Council to have the U.S. war crime brought to the attention of the whole world. Then the U.S. backed terrorist groups in Syria bombed a U.N. convoy few days later so the U.S. can place the blame on Russia. Then you have this same UPI reporter who keeps posting her usual anti-DPRK propaganda on this UPI blog.
* "RUSSIA VS. U.S. WAR IN SYRIA? US proxy attack on Russia embassy a dangerous sign" (2016-10-05, ria.ru) [archive.is/uqvVi], (translated by J. Arnoldski, fort-russ.com) [archive.is/dUa0V]
* "RUSSIA IS COUNTING ON CHINA AND INDIA TO JOIN THE HUMANITARIAN MISSION IN ALEPPO" (2016-10-11, katehon.com) [archive.is/sxfro]:
The Russian Defense Ministry hopes that China, India, Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan will join the humanitarian mission in Aleppo (Syria). This was announced by Deputy Defense Minister Anatoly Antonov during China Defense Forum
"We hope that our good partners in many countries, including the People's Republic of China, India, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan and other countries will respond to the Russian offer and be able to contribute to stabilizing the humanitarian situation in Syria" - said Antonov.
He added that the humanitarian aid came from Belarus and Armenia. Also the Ministry of Defense stated that such calls are addressed to the military department of the country, members of the SCO, the CSTO and the CIS.
* "Russia ready to support UN envoy’s proposal to allow Al Nusra to exit Aleppo with arms – Lavrov" (2016-10-07, rt.com) [archive.is/YYzGR]
How to support CIA objectives without being an imperialist:
* "Critical Solidarity with the Syrian Revolution" [archive.is/RQdCy], original version at [archive.is/qyL3N] [begin excerpt]: “The most important thing,” my friend said on our way home, “is to destroy the state. The Syrian revolution went very far and a big reason for this is that we were able to completely destroy the state in many areas. Even if we can’t prevent the counter revolution, destroying the state makes whatever comes after much weaker.” [end excerpt]
"Humanitarian" group calling for military strikes...
* "CrossTalk: White Helmets, Really?" (2016-10-07, rt.com) [youtube.com/watch?v=SgGNzj6rKqI]: The White Helmets: a heartfelt humanitarian NGO or an elaborate and cynical western PR stunt promoting illegal regime change in Syria? Does the wearing of white helmets mean they are the good guys supporting a just cause?
* "Syria’s White Helmets are multi-million funded, ‘can’t be independent’ " (2016-10-07, rt.com) [archive.is/F6iHH], attached video [is.gd/Sxg2vn]
* " 'White Helmet' 'Save Aleppo' Protest Proves How Easy it is to Dress Up Actors as 'War Victims' " (2016-10-03, by Tony Cartalucci) [archive.is/fyE39]
* (2016-10-06, facebook.com/handsoffsyria) [archive.is/klgyr]:
#BoycottColdplay who are buying into the worst and most effective pro-alQaeda propaganda that spreaded following Goebbels' methods.. #NoNobel4WhiteHelmets
* (2016-10-09, Tim Anderson) [archive.is/PW4LV]:
As the USA defends and aids al Qaeda linked militias, and the Federation of Russia is successfully destroying ISIS and is therefore targeting more al Qaeda linked militias, leading to a percentile decrease in specific targeting of ISIS militants
* "Fewer Russian strikes targeting IS: analyst" (2016-10-09, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/hqOsJ]
* "U.S. PROXIES PANIC: Russia hikes up air strikes on Al-Nusra across Syria" (2016-10-05, rusvesna.su) [archive.is/2SMu1], (translated by J. Arnoldski) [archive.is/LUyYV]
* "Moscow says Syria campaign shows 'reliability' of Russian arms" (2016-10-06, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/rJvQC]
The Arab Republic of Syria has a socialist economic system that was being opened to private investment by USA-chartered companies during 2011, the year before the start of the USA-backed mercenary invasion and support for theocratic militants. The war began as the Arab Republic of Syria government halted the private investment schemes...
* "Dardari: The Trojan Horse of Neoliberal Syria" (2011-12-01, english.al-akhbar.com) [archive.is/sEJHf]
* "Syria’s Economic Crisis. Al Assad Government Roles Back Neoliberal Reforms" (2012-08-15, by Dr. Linda Matar, Middle East Institute. National University of Singapore, mei-insights) [archive.is/EqJTe]
Democracy in the Arab Republic of Syria continues to be maintained today with the National Progressive Front, a coalition of socialist and Arab nationalist parties in Syrian parliament, lead by the Arab Socialist Ba'ath Party of Syrian region, composed of ten political parties:
- Syrian Regional Branch of the Arab Socialist Ba'ath Party
- Arab Socialist Movement
- Arab Socialist Union
- Syrian Communist Party (Khalid Bakdash faction)
- Syrian Communist Party (Yusuf Faisal faction)
- Social Democratic Unionists
- Socialist Unionists
- Democratic Socialist Unionist Party
- Arabic Democratic Unionist Party
- National Vow Movement
New Cold War News - Frontline: Korea
* "South Korea will shoot at Chinese boats fishing illegally, says coastguard" (2016-10-11, rt.com) [archive.is/1Pq4B]
Weapons for a New World Order
* "More stable qubits in perfectly normal silicon" (2016-10-04, tudelft.nl) [archive.is/sjx35] [begin excerpt]: The power of future quantum computers stems from the use of qubits, or quantum bits, which do not have to be either 0 or 1, but can also be 0 and 1 at the same time. It is not yet clear on which technology these qubits in quantum computers will be based, but qubits based on electron spins are looking more and more promising. It was thought that these could only be produced in the expensive semiconductor material gallium arsenide, but researchers have now discovered that the more common material silicon, the basic material of modern computer chips, is even better. Researchers from Delft, the University of Wisconsin and Ames Laboratory, led by Prof. Lieven Vandersypen of TU Delft's QuTech discovered that the stability of qubits could be maintained 100 times more effectively in silicon than in gallium arsenide. They publishing their research in PNAS this week. [end excerpt]
* "Scientists build world's smallest transistor" (2016-10-06, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/j6JMa]
* "Electrons in Graphene Behave Like Light, Only Better; Researchers discover that electrons mimic light in graphene, confirming a 2007 prediction – their finding may enable new low power electronics and lead to new experimental probes" (2016-10-05, engineering.columbia.edu) [archive.is/Hwgmv]
* "Enhancing the Superconducting Properties of an Iron-Based Material; Scientists pioneer method that enables material to carry more electrical current without resistance at a higher temperature" (2016-10-06, bnl.gov) [archive.is/U0LuK]
* "First demonstration of brain-inspired device to power artificial systems" (2016-10-07, southampton.ac.uk) [archive.is/Lj5j9]
* "Billionaires Bankroll Escape From Computer Simulation Called Reality" (2016-10-08, by Jon Rappoport) [archive.is/5NiKm]
* "Tech billionaires convinced we live in the Matrix are secretly funding scientists to help break us out of it; Many of the world's richest and most powerful people, including Elon Musk and Bank of America, think that we live in a simulation of the real world" (2016-10-07, independent.co.uk) [archive.is/jOEjS]
* "On the ball: Omnidirectional mobile robot has just two moving parts; Spherical Induction Motor Eliminates Robot’s Mechanical Drive System" (2016-10-05, cmu.edu) [archive.is/pMXG4]
* "Scientists unveil first tetherless hopping robot" (2016-10-06, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/t5807]
* "NASA Offers Prize Money for Winning 3D-Printed Habitat Ideas" (2016-10-06, nasa.gov) [archive.is/LIkkw]
* "Small droplets feel the vibe; A team of researchers at the University of Bristol have used ultrasonic forces to accurately pattern thousands of microscopic water-based droplets. Each droplet can be designed to perform a biochemical experiment, which could pave the way for highly efficient lab-on-a-chip devices with future applications in drug discovery and clinical diagnostics" (2016-10-06, bris.ac.uk) [archive.is/kcS17]
* "Motion-directed robots on a micro scale; Microswimmers capped with carbon on one side can be propelled and steered by light" (2016-09-30, mpg.de) [archive.is/jegyy]
* "Nanotechnology for energy materials: Electrodes like leaf veins" (2016-09-27, helmholtz-berlin.de) [archive.is/sfr3j]
* "Dartmouth researchers' 'DarkLight' enables visible light communication in the dark; Demonstrates for first-time, how visible light can transmit data in the dark" (2016-10-03, dartmouth.edu) [archive.is/jmzVf]
* "QinetiQ, Milrem debut Titan unmanned ground vehicle" (2016-10-04, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/ZXr6X]
* "Eye in the sky: Autonomous 3D printed car comes with scout drone surveillance" (2016-10-06, rt.com) [archive.is/5u2Q8]
* "Brain waves can be used to detect potentially harmful personal information; A researcher is working to advance research to develop secure user authentication methods, by looking at using brain waves as individual identifiers. However, those brain waves can tell more about a person than just his or her identity, warns this expert" (2016-10-03, ttu.edu) [archive.is/r4ish]
* "Shock absorbing ‘programmable skin’ protects drones from hard landings" (2016-10-07, rt.com) [archive.is/GOtaW]
* " ‘Huge glowing’ UFO filmed above Moscow homes" (2016-10-07, rt.com) [archive.is/lGhlO] [begin excerpt]: Last month REN TV reported that three pilots claimed to witness a bizarre glowing object in the air over Tomsk in Siberia. The UFO was said to have frightened the pilots who were Russian, Chinese and Korean
One YouTube user suggested that the occurrence of UFOs in Russia was not unusual, noting that they are “quite often” spotted in Moscow, Volgograd and Astrakhan. [end excerpt]
BAY AREA PEACE COUNCIL: Militarization of Space
* "India Expedites Its Space Centric Warfare Program; The Indian government has started a new framework that will provide an edge to Indian armed forces in the Asian region" (2016-10-07, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/VHauT]
* "NASA cuts live feed from ISS after ‘UFO’ spotted" (2016-10-02, rt.com) [archive.is/Qklim]
BAY AREA PEACE COUNCIL: Articles reflecting the views of war planners
* "The world the combatant command was designed for is gone" (2016-10-07, warontherocks.com) [archive.is/jej2c]
* "U. S. Naval Forces before and beyond battle" (2016-10-07, by Under Secretary of the Navy Janine Davidson, for warontherocks.com) [archive.is/ibE1v]
* "Asia’s wicked geometry: The power and problems of Trilateralism" (2016-10-05, warontherocks.com) [archive.is/dH3ZN]
USA Homeland's resident nations:
Nations exist alongside the Federal [archive.is/VXoPR], and State governance [archive.is/Cz2uF]. Demographic maps: 2000 [archive.is/nXHXz], 2010 [archive.is/nKbSA], religion [archive.is/XArBS]. The New Afrikan nation, and the nation of Nueva Aztlan, each have their own separate sections on this news page.
Sovereign nations of the "Indian Country", and of traditional lodges.
Map [archive.is/s4FYb]; News [indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com] [bsnorrell.blogspot.com]
* "We're Not Going Anyplace - Report From The Sioux Nation at Standing Rock" (2016-10-04, elkgrovenews.net) [archive.is/QBEPk]
Commonwealth of Puerto Rico (USA territory) and the Boriqueno nation
* "With Only 3 Months Left of Obama’s Presidency, Oscar Lopez Rivera Supporters Plan Massive Protest at White House" (2016-10-03, gozamos.com) [archive.is/gRYVU]
* "Thousands of Puerto Ricans gather in D.C. to demand the release of Oscar Lopez Rivera and the media ignored it" (2016-10-11, insurgentprieta.wordpress.com) [archive.is/hJGec], photo caption: BombaYo Cultura, the very beginning of the rally in Washington D.C.
Northbay Uprising FM Radio News is broadcast courtesy of 89.5 FM-KZCT [OzcatRadio.com]
On Ozcat Radio, tune-in online [is.gd/kJ1EUt] for:
- The Stranger News, broadcast Thursdays, 5 to 5:30pm, featuring latest news on science, technology, space, and cutting-edge research on the mind, world history, and entheogenics!
- The Northbay UpRising Morningshow, broadcast Tuesdays, 7 to 9am, with local news, and topics on Peace, the Ecology, Do-It-Yourself ideas, and Communitarianism!
- KBBF Weekly News, broadcast Tuesdays at 8:45pm, on the Northbay UpRising morningshow!