Tune in Thursdays 4 to 5pm (PST), at 89.5FM in the northeast San Pablo Bay Area, or online at [is.gd/kJ1EUt].
Hosted by Dr.G., Minister of Information of the Northbay MDS.
Be a Community Journalist with our Community Journalist's Notebook [link].
Send news & info to [NorthbayMDS@) gmail.com]!
Northbay Uprising News scripts [link].
Archived webpages at (archive.org) and at (archive.is) are available even if the original is taken down. News links are provided for educational purposes only, and do not constitute an endorsement of political tendencies, or, of foreign governments. Circumvent "Error 451" [archive.is/WOZXx] by using the proxy server at [webproxy.to] or, by using Tor Browser [is.gd/r18EVD].
A list of gatherings, workshops, and educational events in the greater Bay Area region
OCCUPY BEALE AFB:
Join Northern Calif. Activists United Against Drone Warfare at Beale AFB
September Theme: "CAMPAIGN NONVIOLENCE WEEK of ACTIONS" [is.gd/N4lTGh]
"Campaign Nonviolence is a long-term movement for a culture of peace and nonviolence, free from war, poverty, racism, environmental destruction, and the epidemic of violence."
Mon.-Tues, Sept. 26 & 27 (Next month at Beale: Oct. 24 & 25)
Wear White Clothing (if you can), and Sky-Blue Scarves to stand with the Afghan Peace Volunteers: [www.OurJourneyToSmile] (Blue scarves will be available to support the Afghan Peace Volunteers).
Join CODEPINK, VFP and other N. California activists...
- Monday, Sept. 26, 3:00 - 5:00 PM, Vigil/Protest at Wheatland gate 3960 S. Beale Rd. @ Ostrom Rd, Marysville, followed by potluck and camping at the main gate, 4675 N. Beale Rd.
- Tuesday, Sept. 27, 6:00 - 8:00 AM, Vigil/Protest at Main Gate, 4675 N. Beale Rd., Marysville, with breakfast and debriefing in Marysville afterwards.
HAITI RISES! SEPT 30 INTERNATIONAL DAYS IN SOLIDARITY WITH THE PEOPLE
*Friday, Sept 30 - 4:30PM Demonstration, music, drums*: 14th & Broadway,
*Sunday, Oct 2 - 3PM Inside Haiti's Election:* Eastside Arts, 2277
International Blvd, Oakland
The irresistible momentum of Haiti's non-stop mass movement, /Lavalas/,
with tens of thousands in the streets almost daily for months has forced
the annulment of the fraudulent 2015 elections. The new election date is
October 9, 2016. But the United States and its allies are still scheming
to block Haiti's most popular political party, /Fanmi Lavalas/, and
thwart the popular will.
The time for International solidarity is now! These next two weeks are
crucial as President Aristide and presidential candidate Dr. Maryse
Narcisse are making their way throughout the country in a historic
campaign tour named the Caravan of Dignity. It has been 16 years since
/Fanmi Lavalas /has participated in an election, finally able to break
through their forced exclusion from the democratic process. The unending
resistance of the people of Haiti and your solidarity have made this
This election is a fight to restore a popular government that once again
elevates the democratic agenda of the Haitian people and their struggle
for dignity and human rights. HAITI RISES! A TIME FOR SOLIDARITY! The
grassroots on the march in Haiti and your solidarity will result in a
huge historical victory, Dr. Maryse Narcisse as the first woman elected
President of Haiti. It has been a long road.
Very exciting news from Haiti is reported on
Actor/activist Danny Glover wrote today in the Huffington Post: "Haiti?s
democracy must be in the hands of Haitians. Haiti?s leaders need to
inspire its people, to send a message that through political inclusion,
active citizen participation and progressive policies, Haiti can indeed
enact bold change in favor of the needy majority of its citizens. Many
powerful interests are working to prevent this from taking place, but
that?s why those fighting for a real democracy need our support so that
their commitment to progressive change can be put to the test."
*Show your support during the Haiti International Solidarity Day events,
the demonstration on 9/30 and the important discussion and updates on
sent by Haiti Action Committee Follow us on FACEBOOK, @HaitiAction1 and
* "New Report: Biased international observers failed Haiti in 2015, neutrality and independence essential for upcoming October elections" (2016-09-19, ijdh.org) [archive.is/5N2sh], full report (.pdf) [is.gd/xUl27x]
Fall 2016 Revolutionary University:
Tools for Changing Society
Join us for two days of presentations and discussions on current world problems and possible solutions
All events will be held at:
Niebyl-Proctor Library, 6501 Telegraph Ave, Oakland, CA 94609
Donation: $5, No one turned away for lack of funds
[SpeakOut-Now.org] [mail@)speakout-now.org] [510.343.9105]
Revisiting Black Marxism in the Wake of Black Lives Matter
Robin D. G. Kelley, is Distinguished Professor of History and Black Studies & Gary B. Nash Endowed Chair in U.S. History at UCLA, and current Chair of the Department of African American Studies and a prolific author and editor
My talk reflects on the life and work of Cedric J. Robinson, who just passed this year, especially his magnum opus, Black Marxism: The Making of the Black Radical Tradition (published 33 years ago) in the wake of what may be the most dynamic Black radical movement to emerge in decades – the Movement for Black Lives. I will suggest ways in which Robinson’s book anticipated M4BL and its recent policy platform, which in some ways offers a radical break from Marxism even as it builds from a critique of capitalism.
3:30 – 5:30 pm
Workers and the Uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt
Joel Beinin, Donald J. McLachlan Professor of History and Professor of Middle East History at Stanford University and author of the recent book “Workers and Thieves” will discuss the struggles of the working classes and unemployed in Egypt and Tunisia and their roles in the 2011 popular uprisings known as the Arab Spring.
The Refugee Crisis in Europe & Social Movements in France
Pauline Casy. activist in the French revolutionary group “L’Etincelle” (The Spark) and Toni Robert, activist in the German revolutionary group Sozialistische Arbeiterstimme (Socialist Workers Voice)
Sun. 10/2 -
10:30am -12:30 pm
How Capitalism Shreds Our Personal Lives
Harriet Fraad, Harriet Fraad is a licensed mental health counselor and hypnotherapist in private practice in New York City. She has been an activist in the feminist movement and the journal Rethinking Marxism. For 40 years, she has been a radical committed to transforming US personal and political life.
Crisis: It’s How Capitalism Works
Richard Wolff, Marxist professor of economics, Professor of Economics Emeritus, University of Massachusetts, Amherst where he taught economics from 1973 to 2008. He is currently a Visiting Professor at the New School University, New York City. He is the author of numerous books and articles and host of the weekly radio show, Economic Update, and Co-founder of the project Democracy at Work
Our Role In Transforming The World
Activists in Speak Out Now, will present a revolutionary socialist perspective on the challenges and choices we all confront today
Followed by time to discuss and socialize – refreshments provided
The Artist as Activist
Emel Mathlouthi, Tunisian singer, songwriter, social commentator and participant in the Arab Spring – will take us through her musical and political journey. He song Kelmti Horra (my word is free) became well-known throughout Tunisia during the struggles against the rule of Zine El Abidine Ben Ali
The Coup will rock the Life Is Living festival.
At Bobby Hutton (Defremery) Park. Oakland.
The 2017 Certain Days: Freedom for Political Prisoners Calendar is now available for pre-order!!!
The Certain Days: Freedom for Political Prisoners Calendar is a joint fundraising and educational project between outside organizers in Montreal, Toronto, and New York, in partnership with three political prisoners being held in maximum-security prisons in New York State: David Gilbert, Robert Seth Hayes and Herman Bell.
*For orders of 1-9 copies ($12 each): see
*For bulk orders of 10 or more copies ($8 each): see
Your group can buy 10 or more for the rate of $8 each and then sell them for $12, keeping the difference for your organization. Many campaigns, infoshops and projects do this as a way of raising funds and spreading awareness about political prisoners.
This year’s theme is Sustaining Movements, and features art and writings by Farha Najah, Sekou Odinga, David Gilbert, Daniel McGowan, Oscar Lopez Rivera, Sophia Dawson, Chris Dixon, Emory Douglas, Laura Whitehorn, Mumia Abu-Jamal, Xinachtli, Micah Bazant, Capital Area Against Mass Incarceration, South Asian Women’s Community Centre, Mazatl, Marius Mason, Eric King, Kevin “Rashid” Johnson, Jennifer Meeropol, Leonard Peltier, Amanda Priebe, the Termite Collective, Ali Cat Leeds and more.
The proceeds from Certain Days 2017 will be divided among these groups: Addameer Prisoners Support and Human Rights Association (Palestine), Release Aging People in Prison (RAPP) and the Unist'ot'en camp.
Our calendar project was suggested by Herman in 2001, and has been shaped throughout the years by all of our ideas, discussions, and analysis. All of the current members of the outside collective are grounded in day to day organizing work other than the calendar, on issues ranging from migrant justice to community media to prisoner solidarity. We work from an anti-imperialist, anti-racist, anti-capitalist, feminist, queer- and trans-liberationist position.
And if you are in NYC, be sure to come out to our Calendar Launch Party on
November 12th, Interference Archive, 7pm. More details at
Stories are reviewed and provided by Northbay MDS Committees and Affiliates
BAY AREA SOLIDARITY
Updates on campaigns for Peace, Justice, & Freedom across the greater Bay Area, Norcal, and Socal
* (2016-09-16, facebook.com/floyd.harris.581) [archive.is/9p01j]: Facebook has block me from sending everyone information but, I want to let all my supporters from around the world I just recieved a call from one of my members from church explaining to me the Fresno Police beat her up real bad. She was beat up so badly she needed medical attention and there are broken bones. It was also reported to me the officers were very unprofessional and was using bad langue at her. My member was thrown in jail for 3 days but she is now at home. She going back to hospital this morning to get more xrays done and she is very bruised, scratch up from being thrown to the ground face first. Looking at the timming when this has happen to a member of my church looks like retaliations after we brought all the familys together who have experience police brutality in Mississippi Fresno organize plantation. I thank God she didn't get killed by these Fresno cops. I'm telling everyone to keep your camera's and cell charged. If you see someone pulled over by a cop PLEASE STOP AND VIDEO record. YOU MIGHT SAVE THERE LIFE.. I will keep everyone posted.. plese share the post with everyone. Be Safe..Your servant Rev. Dr. Floyd D. Harris, Jr.
* (2016-09-17, Xulio Soriano):
I am searching for the courageous people who will speak with full honesty, even if it makes us uncomfortable. One Bill Dodd Endorser speaks while the other snaps a picture for Facebook. The intention is positive [addendum: I'm talking only about the intention to commemorate this mural, not their other intentions], and they don't have absolute control over Bill Dodd, but the context and lack of full true narrative leaves a strange aura. While they spoke farmworkers, including my family members, harvested Pinot Noir with no overtime pay. #theyfeedus
* "State Senator Refuses to Stand During Pledge of Allegiance in ‘Solidarity’ With Colin Kaepernick" (2016-09-14, theblaze.com) [archive.is/0QstS]
* "As Kaepernick’s protest spreads, SF prep team takes a knee" (2016-09-15, sfchronicle.com) [is.gd/SFyc7O], photo caption: Mission High School football head coach Greg Hill watches his team during practice in San Francisco, Calif., on Wednesday, September 14, 2016.
* "US Soldier May Face Jail Time for Kaepernick-Style Protest; "I feel like a hypocrite, singing about 'land of the free' when I know that only applies to some Americans,” Ervin said" (2016-09-21, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/7sGEj], photo caption: Janaye Ervin says she has been with the U.S. army since 2008.
SOLANO PEACE & FREEDOM PARTY
Use the ballot for our own People's candidates and legislation, campaign for the future!
Peace & Freedom Party Candidate for Board of Supes in the News! Although the SF Chronicle manages to avoid using the name of her political party, they seem to have become a bit infatuated with the "radical candidate." This the second story within a week where they have talked about her and the issues she's running on.
* "The ever-lively field of SF supervisor candidates" (2016-09-16, sfchronicle.com) [is.gd/HfZv0A]
SOLIDARITY WITH THE NEW AFRICAN NATION!
Black Power! Revive the Community! Defend the Nation!
National News [blackagendareport.com] [atlantablackstar.com] [sfbayview.com]
* "Black men have legitimate reason to run from police – Massachusetts supreme court" (2016-09-21, rt.com) [archive.is/uFJZG]
* (2016-09-20, BRLP) [archive.is/gJdgt]: R.I.P. Terence Crutcher... It's Time to Unite...
BLACK RIDERS - New Generation Black Panther Party for Self-Defense!
Join now - to be a new member inbox or email us at email@example.com Black Power! All Power to the People! R.B.G. 4 LIFE! Please share this!
* "Twin Cities Anarchist People of Color Engage Militancy Debate" (2016-07-09, unicornriot.ninja) [archive.is/K0Jqo]
* "On Black Militancy, 'Outside Agitators,' and Bad Jacketing in the Movement against Police Violence" (2016-07-21, by TWIN CITIES COALITION FOR JUSTICE) [archive.is/ifpYX]
* "Why we say Black Lives Matter and not All Lives Matter" (2016-07-19, wsm.ie) [archive.is/m1war]
* "Black Lives Matter protests in Ireland" (2016-07-21, wsm.ie) [archive.is/7ONR1]
information collected by the Worker's Defense Committee [is.gd/VOkmLr]
* " 'Gutting the University': No End in Sight for Unprecedented LIU Faculty Lockout; Long Island University's Brooklyn campus locked out 400 faculty—suspending wages and benefits—right before classes started, despite ongoing contract negotiations" (2016-09-13, commondreams.org) [archive.is/RUdaz]
HANDS OFF OUR HOMES!
* "Don't Be Fooled: Big Lies from Big Landlords--Yes on U1, No on DD"
(2016-09-17, Berkeley Progressive Alliance):
You may have received a door hanger or mailer from a group calling itself the Committee for Real Affordable Housing that promotes Measure DD while attacking Measure U1, which is supported by the Berkeley Progressive Alliance and by affordable housing advocates in Berkeley, not to mention by the entire Berkeley City Council and numerous other elected officials and organizations.
You can find out more on the YES on Measure U1 campaign here:http://www.fundaffordablehousing.org Here is an excellent response from the U1 campaign to the landlords' deceptive campaign.
* "Big Lies from Big Landlords" (2016-09-16, fundaffordablehousing.org) [archive.is/uas8S]
* "Telegraph Hill loses beloved little landmark, Fog Hill Market" (2016-09-17, sfchronicle.com) [is.gd/ZwZrkD]
Similarly, the dictates of capitalists deny the people any power in keeping their livelihoods, and even their sports teams!
* "East Bay thinks it can keep Raiders, but deck looks stacked" (2016-09-18, sfchronicle.com) [is.gd/entETr]
information collected by the Committee to
DEFEND THOSE WITHOUT HOMES!
* "Count for Freedom Sleeper Reaches 60 Nights Out" (2016-08-30, by Norse)
Freedom Sleepers Occupying with sleeping bag, car, and tent, the sidewalk and curbsides next to Santa Cruz City Hall from Tuesday afternoon to Wednesday morning around 8 AM
* "Tiny apartments for homeless hit snags over labor, land" (2016-09-18, sfchronicle.com) [is.gd/A8Gwto]
Documenting human-rights abuse by domestic security agencies
[NorthbayCopwatch.blogspot.com] [copblock.org] [wecopwatch.org] [filmingcops.com]
* "Dashcam shows mentally-ill man shot 14 times as he flees Sacramento police" (2016-09-21, rt.com) [archive.is/z3ijS]
* "CHP Officer Arrested for Transmission of Child Pornography" (2016-09-13, fox40.com) [archive.is/fyB42]
* "Urban Shield police weaponry expo draws protests" (2016-09-09, sfchronicle.com) [is.gd/VoF8UW], photo caption: A member of the Richmond Police Department SWAT team looks into a scope of an Accuracy Internal AT .308 sniper rifle during the first day of Urban Shield 2016 at Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton, Calif. on Friday, Sept. 9, 2016.
Photo caption: Demonstrators stand with arms linked at an entrance outside Alameda County Fairgrounds to prevent entry during the first day of Urban Shield 2016 in Pleasanton, Calif. on Friday, Sept. 9, 2016.
* "Police Accidentally Record Themselves Conspiring to Fabricate Criminal Charges Against Protester" (2016-09-19, aclu.org) [archive.is/vhuSA#selection-1701.0-1701.96] [begin excerpt]: The ACLU of Connecticut is suing state police for fabricating retaliatory criminal charges against a protester after troopers were recorded discussing how to trump up charges against him. In what seems like an unlikely stroke of cosmic karma, the recording came about after a camera belonging to the protester, Michael Picard, was illegally seized by a trooper who didn’t know that it was recording and carried it back to his patrol car, where it then captured the troopers’ plotting.
“Let’s give him something,” one trooper declared. Another suggested, “we can hit him with creating a public disturbance.” “Gotta cover our ass,” remarked a third.
ACLU affiliates around the country have done a lot of cases defending the right to record in public places, but this case [archive.is/QXKBl] is particularly striking. I spoke to ACLU of Connecticut Legal Director Dan Barrett, and he told me about how the incident came about:
"Our client is a guy who is very concerned with privacy, and who protests DUI checkpoints around the capital region here in Hartford, Connecticut. He feels they’re both unconstitutional and a waste of money. He has done public records investigations, for example, and recently found that for every two man hours put into a check point, it yields just one minor traffic citation—almost always for defective equipment. He was well known to the police, who also knew that he is a peaceful privacy and open-carry gun rights activist." [end excerpt]
* "Footage of the Largest Gang Raid in NYPD History Reveals the Agency’s Military-Style Tactics; Incoming police commissioner James O’Neill oversaw the arrests" (2016-09-01, thenation.com) [archive.is/8WcTp]
Picking someone up and charging them is one thing. Doesn't the state still have to prove these allegations in court, in front of a judge that the people have elected? No. They only have to prove that they were one of a group of people who knee one person who did something illegal in order to be permanantly listed as a "security threat" with a modified set of civil liberties.
We now have a piece of law in NSW Australia. Police can now arrest you for enabling a crime, which means, if you left your car unlocked you can be arrested for assisting the thief.
With the addition of anti-organised crime laws (consorting laws) police then have the power to detain you for two weeks without charge for communicating with a 'convicted criminal' but can charge you with 'consorting', thus making you a 'convicted criminal' which then allows the state to dictate your movements by restricting who you talk to and where you work.
You can imagine how this would have a disproportionate bias for minority groups. And it does.
* "Video Released Showing Police Kill Innocent Unarmed Father With His Hands Up" (2016-09-19, thefreethoughtproject.com) [archive.is/Rw5I6]
* "Report: Disabled Black Man Shot Dead by Police While Reading in the Car" (2016-09-20, theroot.com) [archive.is/fibeh]
* (2016-09-19) [archive.is/TJPaJ]:
NORTHBAY COPWATCH: Domestic Security Agencies and private-sector partners
* "YouTube Has Quietly Begun “Censoring” Journalists Who Criticize Government" (2016-09-15, by Alice Salles) [archive.is/JFt2s]
* "Facebook ‘censors’ Dakota Access pipeline protest livestream – activists" (2016-09-15, rt.com) [archive.is/YRkOe]
* "Security Firm Guarding Dakota Access Pipeline Also Used Psychological Warfare Tactics for BP" (2016-09-13, desmogblog.com) [archive.is/gDHUI]
* "Google’s Anti-ISIS Propaganda Program To Be Used On Americans Next" (2016-09-15, by Lori Harfenist) [archive.is/gBrwF]
* "Whatever you do, do not use Google Allo: Snowden" (2016-09-21, rt.com) [archive.is/GrKbF]
* "Snowden, Durov argue over security of WhatsApp & Telegram" (2016-09-22, rt.com) [archive.is/C015e]
* "AI that identifies pixelated & blurred faces easy for hackers to exploit - researchers" (2016-09-15, rt.com) [archive.is/Ap9qX]
* "Justice Department can’t find anti-medicinal marijuana talking points to Congress it had just found; Agency earlier attempted to withhold missing two pages under b(5) exemption" (2016-09-13, muckrock.com) [is.gd/O3dHlx]
* "The NSA has files on a country that doesn’t exist; The Intellipedia entry on micronation 'the Conch Republic' has been viewed more times than 'Scientology' or 'Montana' " (2016-09-15, muckrock.com) [is.gd/9hv7gD]
* "Gang Members Implicate U.S. Gov’t In Dumping Crates Of Guns In Chicago" (2016-09-13, Isaac Davis) [archive.is/sIra3]
NORTHBAY COPWATCH: International Security Agencies, the Five-Eyes, and transnational partners
The act of secrecy is better enabled when operations are under a cloak of private business as opposed to public-sector administration.
* "Inter-national-net: Web going global to delight of tech giants, against GOP opposition" (2016-09-14, rt.com) [archive.is/8l0UZ]
* "5 Corporations Now Dominate Our Privatized Intelligence Industry; This unaccountable oligarchy of spies controls the information that guides our military and civilian leaders" (2016-09-08, thenation.com) [archive.is/wEefF]
* "$250 Billion to Manufacture & Launch 1,450 Satellites Over Next Ten Years" (2016-09-13, spaceref.com) [archive.is/3fpv4]
"We can't talk about what we do, and sometimes we're criticised in the media? But we're defending our country."
* (retrieved 2016-04-27, intelligencecareers.gov) [archive.is/KBTpc]:
Careers in Intelligence -
If you do it, we need it. Science and technology. Business and mathematics. Foreign language and human resources. The IC employs thousands of professionals in a wide variety of occupations. Browse our career fields to learn more about how your talents can contribute to national security.
- Defense Intelligence Agency
- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
- National Security Agency
- Office of the Director of National Intelligence
* "U.S., British intelligence mining data from nine U.S. Internet companies in broad secret program" (2013-06-07, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/cYyFe].
The act of collecting information, and executing action based on the information... thousands dead.
* "How to Get a Job at the NSA" (2013-09-08, ClearanceJobs) [archive.is/V6EN7]
* "Smartphone hacks 3-D printer by measuring ‘leaked’ energy and acoustic waves; Intellectual property may be ripe for theft, study shows" (2016-09-07, buffalo.edu) [archive.is/3TuEw]
from the Committee to
FREE 'EM ALL!
End the Drug War! Stop Jim Crow! Close the Torture Chambers! [solitarywatch.com] [facebook.com/incarceratedworkers] [supportprisonerresistance.noblogs.org] [denverabc.wordpress.com] [prisonlegalnews.org] [prisonbooks.info] [nycabc.wordpress.com] [powmedicaljustice.com] [sacprisonersupport.wordpress.com]. Become a Human Rights Pen Pal! [link].
* "BONDING BEHIND BARS: While many jails reduce or eliminate in-person visits, San Francisco’s works to bring inmates and their children together" (2016-09-16, projects.sfchronicle.com) [is.gd/a7NKXO]
* "CAPTIVE LIVES: Some 10 million children in the U.S. have parents who have been incarcerated. These innocent youngsters, studies show, face long odds of success in life. But slowly, efforts to help them are growing" (2016-09-16, projects.sfchronicle.com) [is.gd/uK1Psf]
* "Mumia supporters protest decision denying hep C meds" (2016-09-10, workers.org) [archive.is/0r8DT]
* "Mumia Abu Jamal's attorneys respond to ruling on Hep C treatment; Updates on 'Abu-Jamal v. Kerestes'" (2016-09-16, freemumia.com):
On Friday, August 5, the same afternoon that we filed our summary judgment opposition papers (see attached), Judge Mariani issued three decisions on various motions to dismiss by defendants. We will briefly summarize these below, but we want to emphasize that these decisions do not impact the merits of our motion for preliminary injunction for hepatitis C treatment, which is still pending before the court.
The main decision of Judge Mariani is that we need to refile an amended complaint alleging more specific facts of personal involvement of defendants Kerestes, Steinhart, and Oppman to bring our medical care claims, including the hepatitis C claims, against them. We have 14 days to do this and are already working on it.
Next, Geisinger was dismissed because Mumia has been transferred from Geisinger and is no longer subject to its authority. The judge held his claim against Geisiner as moot. However, he permitted the same First Amendment association claim (based on the prohibition on visits and communication with his attorneys, wife and family during his May 2015 hospitalization) to proceed against defendant Kerestes.
We are putting together the amended complaint now and still waiting on the decision on the preliminary injunction. We have no idea why it is taking this long to rule on, though the judge has a reputation for moving slowly, apparently a very well-earned reputation.
Also, Judith Ritter filed a new Post-Conviction Relief Act Petition in Mumia's criminal case August 8th based on the June 2016 U.S. Supreme Court opinion in Williams v. Commonwealth in which the Court ruled that former PA Chief Justice Ronald Castille should have recused himself from Williams' 2012 appeal of his death sentence given his role in authorizing the death penalty in Williams' 1986 case as the DA of Philadelphia. Castille was the DA during direct appeal in Mumia's case and refused to recuse himself in Mumia's PCRA appeal to the PA Supreme Court. We will send that around when we receive a copy.
We'll keep everybody updated when there are further decisions or filings.
[signed] Bret & Bob (lawyers for Mumia Abu Jamal)
* "Prisoners Strike on 45th Anniversary of Attica Uprising: It’s High Time for Mass Mobilization to Free Mumia!" (29016-09-12, by Eric Clanton, member of Ghostown Prisoners Support; and by Jack Heyman, chair of the Transport Workers Solidarity Committee, and member of the Labor Action Committee to Free Mumia Abu-Jamal):
Could Mumia Abu-Jamal, one of the twentieth century’s most high profile political prisoners, a powerful and renowned author and a former Black Panther, have hope of being released after 34 years in prison, 30 of those years on death row? Could Mumia, unlike the anarchists, Sacco and Vanzetti, or the Communists Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, who were executed by the state, finally see the light of day after decades in prison like former Black Panthers Geronimo Pratt, the Angola Three and Eddie Conway?
A recent U.S. Supreme Court decision, Williams v. Pennsylvania, could provide a legal precedent to open the door for Mumia’s release. But that will not end the police vendetta against him as demonstrated by the bitter experience of unending persecution by courts, cops and prison authorities. For every legal principle there is a “Mumia exception.” There can be no reliance on the courts for justice, in large part because Mumia is falsely accused of killing a cop. As in the case of Angela Davis, it will require mass mobilizations to free Mumia, mobilizations from trade unions with large black memberships and community organizations like Black Lives Matter.
In the meantime, Mumia’s life is in grave danger as a federal court judge refused to grant an injunction to require that the state of Pennsylvania give him proper medication for his life-threatening Hepatitis C. And yet the judge found the state prison system’s protocol for treating prisoners with Hep-C unconstitutional! Another Mumia exception, no doubt.
As prisoners are commemorating the 45th anniversary of the Attica prison uprising on September 9 by organizing a nationwide strike protesting the horrid conditions of mass incarceration, we outside the prison walls, need to be demonstrating in sympathy with their demands and calling for freedom for class war political prisoners like Mumia Abu-Jamal.
Ron Castille and the Racist Frame-up of Mumia
The new Supreme Court ruling establishes a precedent for the court to vacate all of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court’s denials of Mumia’s post-conviction appeals. On August 7, 2016 a motion was filed with the Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas. This legal action “provides a path in the courts to overturn Mumia’s conviction and win his freedom” according to Rachel Wolkenstein, a former attorney of Mumia (http://www.rachelwolkenstein.net/ ). This legal action could result in a new appeal process and then a new trial. But again, in Mumia’s case (and so many others), such legal precedents are routinely overridden when the state is prepared to go to the wall against a defendant.
Still this new decision offers a new opportunity for Mumia and his supporters to forcefully challenge the blatant frame-up that lead to his conviction, and, to bring broader exposure to a racist system of injustice.
After decades of frustration and disappointment the fight for Mumia’s freedom could see a breakthrough. The new precedent–setting decision in Williams v. Pennsylvania has established that judicial bias occurs when a judge participating in a criminal appeal had “a significant personal involvement as a prosecutor in a critical decision regarding the defendant’s case.” Ronald D. Castille has played the central role of both prosecutor and judge in the course of Mumia’s legal nightmare. He was the Assistant District Attorney in Philadelphia during Mumia’s 1982 trial, was the elected Philadelphia District Attorney during Mumia’s direct appeal, and as a Pennsylvania Supreme Court Justice in 1998 and 2002 rejected a motion demanding his recusal from decisions concerning Mumia’s case.
Castille and the Pennsylvania Supreme Court have stood in the way of each of Mumia’s attempts to appeal his post conviction decisions, including those appeals which argued that Castille’s participation constituted a conflict of interest. From the beginning Castille showed prejudice. As DA he made a training video on how to exclude blacks from a jury when blacks were nearly 40% of Philly’s population.
Mass Mobilizations Must Bolster Mumia’s Court Fight
By extension, this struggle must link the Black Lives Matter movement on the streets to the mass incarceration of black lives behind prison walls. But Mumia’s fight for freedom can only happen if his case gains traction through mass labor and black mobilizations like the one organized by the San Francisco longshore union on April 29, 1999 or the Oakland teachers’ union that organized a city-wide teach-in on the death penalty and the frameup of Mumia a few months before that.
At that time the International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU) organized a one-day coastwide shutdown and led a march of 25,000 people through the streets of San Francisco to demand freedom for Mumia and call attention to racist repression and the plight of class war prisoners. Actions like this succeeded in bringing attention to Mumia’s case but at this late date there needs to be much more now. Left to the courts alone, he will certainly die by “legal lynching” from medical mistreatment of Hepatitis C, in the same way that the apartheid regime of South Africa handled its imprisoned opponents.
From Young Black Panther to “Slow Death Row”
Mumia, who takes his name from Kenyan anti-colonial fighters, was already in the crosshairs of the police when as a teenager he was Minister of Information for the Black Panther Party. After the Panthers split in 1971, Mumia went to college to study radio journalism and began a career of reporting and broadcasting. Throughout his years as an award-winning radio broadcaster, Mumia used his platform to direct attention to police brutality and other forms of state violence, most notably exposing the Philadelphia Police Department’s targeting of the militant back-to-nature organization MOVE.
Mumia’s speaking truth-to-power reporting made him the target of escalating hounding by the police, especially former Philly “top cop”, Mayor Frank Rizzo. In December of 1981, PPD Officer Daniel Faulkner was killed while conducting a traffic stop of Mumia’s brother, William Cook. Mumia Abu-Jamal, who had been driving a taxi part time, arrived at the scene to see what was happening. As Mumia approached, he was shot, critically wounded and beaten by police.
Mumia’s subsequent trial was a case study of a political frame-up in capitalist America today: police corruption and a federal investigation, judicial misconduct, denial of basic rights, witness tampering, and evidence fabrication. Most grotesquely, in his chambers the presiding judge Albert Sabo, an honorary member of the Fraternal Order of Police (FOP), was quoted as saying by the court stenographer of the impending legal proceeding, “I’m going to help them fry that n----r.” Having had his right to self-representation revoked and barred from his own trial, Mumia was convicted in 1982 and later sentenced to death. Mumia’s case is an ironclad frame-up by the state and FOP. In a gross understatement Amnesty International calls Mumia’s trial “unfair”.
Mumia spent 30 years in solitary confinement on death row Pennsylvania. Yet, the UN Special Rapporteur on torture, Juan E. Méndez, has said that solitary confinement of more than 10 days is unhumane treatment.
After a lengthy, hard-fought appeals process Mumia, in 2011, had his sentence commuted to life without the possibility of parole or as he calls it “slow death row”. When continued medical mistreatment led to near-fatal diabetic shock, Mumia, was finally diagnosed with the deadly hepatitis C virus. He was then denied the curative medication, without which, he will certainly die. That’s why the urgency is to keep him alive and fight for his freedom.
International Labor Solidarity Rallies to Save Mumia
As the searing protest letter sent to Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf from comrades of the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa NUMSA: “The refusal to health-care reminds us of the conditions we were put in under Apartheid prisons where sick detainees were allowed to die in very deplorable lonely conditions in solitary as part of the punishment for their role in the struggle.”
Mumia has continued writing and publishing numerous volumes about racism, his experience on death row, and the depredations of capitalism. Called the “voice of the voiceless”, he has won an audiences around the world.
The International Dockworkers Council (IDC) which represents the most militant port workers is meeting later this month in Miami. On July 7, the IDC organized dockworkers to simultaneously shutdown ports around the world for one hour to highlight the injuries and deaths caused by this most profitable, yet dangerous industry. The IDC has already taken a stand on social issues like racist police terror in the U.S. They’ve sent a letter this year to the Pennsylvania governor citing Mumia’s unjust imprisonment and demanding proper medical treatment and his “immediate and unconditional release” from prison.
International attention and protest are key to the effort to free Mumia. In light of this new legal opening, a renewed international campaign, can not only win Mumia’s release, but will continue to highlight the racist and class oppression that is constantly perpetrated by this justice system that enforces the law and order of capital. member
- Solidarity with the Nationwide Prisoners Strike!
- Stop the Death of Hep C Prisoners! Hep C Meds for All!
- Save the Life of Mumia Abu-Jamal!
- Release Mumia From Prison Now!
articles recommended by the
SAN PABLO BAY ECOLOGICAL PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION
Campaigns, info, and more [SanPabloBayEPA.blogspot.com]. Science [discardstudies.com]. [blog.savesfbay.org]
* Phillips 66 Spill Vallejo discussion board [facebook.com/groups/303126756731690], begun by members of the community to share information resources concerning a spill associated with a noxious series of plumes with odors that caused hundreds of people to report health concerns, with an official Shelter-In-Place order issued to the residents within the City of Vallejo which lasted 10 hours through the next morning.
Rodeo Refinery Air Monitoring [fenceline.org/rodeo/data.php]
San Pablo Bay EPA observer reports -
Del Sur St. at La Jolla St., there was observed @1820 TO @2000, a persistent NATURAL GAS odor. In an official City of Vallejo report [archive.is/hGW9y], it is mentioned that Vallejo Firefighters and PG&E search parties have not detected Natural Gas within Vallejo.
Georgia St. at Amador St., there was observed @1900, a persistent "Asphalt" SULPHURIC odor which continued to be observed @2130 at Overland Alley and Sonoma Blvd. and vicinity, but no fires or smoke is observed by any parties engaged in observation.
Active confirmations for the above observations through live tweets are received @2130 to @2150 and are issued in the Emergency Broadcast at 89.5 FM KZCT, alongside a live VPD interview concerning the event, later the broadcast mentions that the Coast Guard has sent out notice that the odor may originate in the San Pablo Bay, meanwhile comments on a facebook page mention a persistent odor is observed in American Canyon and Cordelia.
Two residents of Benicia reported that the odor was strong in their town, near the waterfront and downtown sections, with a scent of burning plastics and tires, pervasive across the entire district, yet no reports of fires of such a size, nor smoke.
* (2016-09-20-1042, facebook.com/VallejoPD) [archive.is/4nUKo]: The City would like to advise citizens of Vallejo that there is an unknown odor in the air primarily in the south portion of Vallejo. PG&E and Public Safety officials are working to determine the cause. The City is advising all residents to shelter in place until the source is determined. Updates will be provided.
- Are any homes needing to be evacuated or should we just stay in our house with all the windows shut? My house is in the Beverly Hills/glen cove neighborhood.
- Wondering the same thing.. it smells really strong and getting worse
- Wondering the same thing. We are feeling slight dizziness and sick to our stomach
[Thread 2 all from separate people, in chronological order]:
- smell gasoline outside?
- I smell it and live off of Tennessee St. Didn't receive shelter in place call
- East Vallejo, Columbus and Rose Drive. got the shelter in place info when I called 911 to report the odor.
- It's smells in college park the wind must have blown it
- It's bad in North vallejo by sixflags
- My dad is in West vallejo closer to the water front and he can smell it.
- Smell it in Vallejo Heights neighborhood - more like diesel, or burning rubber
- I smell it too as well as my mom she said burning rubber
- Smell it in American Canyon now... Vintage Ranch. Behind the casino
- We are starting to smell it here in north Vallejo now, near six flags
- Indiana & Napa area can smell it also
- It has now hit American Canyon
- Smells like tar
- Made me think that my car was burning
- And what's up with Vallejo no emergency broadcast alert over the area. Hm?
- Fairfield too!
- It was pretty bad earlier in Benicia. We shut up the house and stayed inside
- Yes they are saying shelter in place but!!! For the smell is too strong you need to evacuate it was so strong in our home you could almost taste it it's like the smell like someone left the gas stove on or something and we don't even have a gas stove my neighbor came over and said the same thing she left for the night as did we
[Thread 3, about pets]:
- Has anyone noticed any changes in your pets? If so, please explain. I would like to know what symptoms to look for due to this existing problem. Thank you. attr(title)
- My 3 cats all live outside , so far they are completely normal! They were meowing like crazy though when the smell was near us
- Thank you for the response! Now that I remember my dog 🐶 was in my back yard barking alot. I'll keep watch. Hope your cats are safe! 🐱🐱🐱
* "Shelter in place lifted after mysterious odor sickens residents in Vallejo" (2016-09-20, kron4.com) [archive.is/1ZREE]
* "Vallejo Fire Department says stay inside after strong odor reported in city" (2016-09-20, timesheraldonline.com) [archive.is/JdXsa]
* "Coast Guard Locates Oil Sheens in San Pablo Bay After Odor Sickens Vallejo Residents; A shelter in place was lifted Wednesday morning after reports of a strong smell sent multiple people to the hospital" (2016-09-21, nbcbayarea.com) [archive.is/G8DqM]:
Two large oil sheens on San Pablo Bay Wednesday morning, after a mysterious odor prompted shelter-in-place orders in Vallejo Tuesday night, appear to have come from a Phillips refinery tanker in Rodeo, authorities said.
A spokesperson for the Phillips 66 Rodeo Refinery Marine Terminal in Rodeo said a tanker berthed at the marine terminal might have released the crude oil. A light, oily sheen was discovered near the refinery around 8 a.m. Wednesday. The refinery notified the National Response Center and the U.S. Coast Guard and temporarily shut down operations.
The Rodeo refinery supplies gas and diesel throughout California at Phillips 66 gas stations.
By Wednesday night, Coast Guard officials could no longer detect the sheens on the water.
"It may have sunk, we don't know," said Coast Guard Lt. Megan Mervar. "There are a lot of unknowns. But dissipation is one possibility. If it was a lighter oil, it could've just evaporated."
Officials have not said whether the oil sheen is linked to the mysterious odor that sickened dozens of people in Vallejo on Tuesday night.
Meanwhile, Coast Guard crews earlier Wednesday laid down a thousand-foot boom to contain oil surrounding the Yamuna Spirit tanker.
Scientist Ian Wren of the San Francisco Baykeeper said his environmental advocacy group is working closely with the Coast Guard.
"The community is watching, and the local environmental watchdog is kind of making sure that adequate cleanups are proceeding," Wren said. "But they are reluctant to actually prescribe blame at this point."
It's unclear what caused the spill or how much has spread, but Wren says there will be an impact.
"Yeah, fish, wildlife, sea birds, as well as marine mammals might be affected," he said. "We don't know if it's crude oil versus bunker fuel from the vessel."
The exact volume of material released is being determined and the incident remains under investigation, the refinery spokesperson said. According to the spokesperson, there have been no injuries associated with the release so far and health impacts to the community are not anticipated.
The NBC Bay Area Investigative Unit searched through Environmental Protection Agency records and found the Phillips 66 refinery in Rodeo did not comply with federal standards for the disposal of solid and hazardous waste for the past three years. An inspection report from March reveals the refinery was operating in significant violation, which is the agency’s most serious designation and shows the refinery poses a severe level of environmental threat.
The shelter-in-place in Vallejo was lifted around 6 a.m. Wednesday after reports of a strong smell sent multiple people to hospitals in Vallejo and Fairfield Tuesday night.
Late Tuesday night, Coast Guard Lt. Steven Dross said a sheen had been confirmed on the water in a number of mostly connected locations in and around Vallejo as well as San Pablo Bay and the Carquinez Straits.
Ferry service between Vallejo and San Francisco was delayed Wednesday morning because of the oil spill investigation in San Francisco Bay.
The Vallejo Fire Department said it received more than 500 calls reporting a strong odor in the Glen Cove and Beverly Hills Park neighborhoods in South Vallejo Tuesday night. Firefighters reportedly were able to rule out natural gas and refinery emissions as the source of the odor.
Michelle Norris sheltered in place at her Crockett home, a few hundred yards from the ship and refinery. She said at her house, strong odors are not unusual.
"Quite often, I smell strange things," Norris said. "I never know what to worry about and what's just normal."
Vallejo fire officials said local hospitals reported multiple patients as a result of the mysterious odor. Patients complaining of burning in their throats and noses arrived at Sutter Solano Medical Center in Vallejo, Kaiser Vallejo Medical Center and Northbay Medical Center in Fairfield.
* "Odor, Shelter in Place and Oil / Chemical Spill in San Pablo Bay / Vallejo Update" info from Cal OES [archive.is/h6K98]:
* "UPDATE: COAST GUARD, PARTNER AGENCIES RESPOND TO REPORTS OF 2 OIL SHEENS IN VALLEJO" (2016-09-21, uscgnews.com) [archive.is/WllJc]:
The Coast Guard and partner agencies continue to respond to reports of two oil sheens on the water in the vicinity of the Phillips 66 Rodeo Refinery and northern San Pablo Bay Wednesday.
At approximately 7:40 a.m., the Coast Guard launched a helicopter crew from Air Station San Francisco to conduct a first light overflight of the area. The aircrew identified a sheen just over a mile long by 40 yards wide on the water in the northern San Pablo Bay area. Coast Guard and California Office of Spill Prevention and Response pollution investigators are aboard a small boat taking samples to assist in determining the source.
A second sheen was identified during the Coast Guard overflight near Phillips 66 Rodeo Refinery Marine Terminal. Several vessels and skimmers are on scene conducting containment and cleanup operations and 1,000-feet of boom has been placed on the water surrounding the refinery. No oiled wildlife has been observed at this time.
The Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund has been opened for $25,000.
Coast Guard pollution investigators have not determined the source of either sheen.
An urgent marine information broadcast is being issued to local mariners. Please contact the Coast Guard Sector San Francisco Command Center at (415) -399-7300 to report any oil sheen or other pollution.
For additional information regarding the sheen reported Tuesday evening in northern San Pablo Bay, please visit the Coast Guard press release at phttp://www.uscgnews.com/go/doc/4007/2885466/].
* "City of Vallejo Activates Emergency Operation Center in Response to Unknown Odor: Update #2" (2016-09-21, City of Vallejo) [archive.is/07rUG]: The U.S. Coast Guard released this press release today following the partial activation of the Vallejo's Emergency Operation Center on September 20, 2016 at approximately 8:00 p.m. due to an unknown odor reported by residents primarily centered in South Vallejo. City officials are in close communication with representatives of the U.S. Coast Guard who has jurisdiction over this incident. The City will issue public notices as needed in conjunction with this event.
* "COAST GUARD, LOCAL AGENCIES RESPOND TO REPORTS OF STRONG OIL SMELL IN VALLEJO" (2016-09-21) [archive.is/xcpAa]: Coast Guard and local agencies responded to reports of a smell of oil and sheen on the water near Rodeo and Vallejo Tuesday evening.
At approximately 8 p.m., Coast Guard Sector San Francisco received a call from Vessel Traffic Service of the Ferry Intintoli reporting a strong smell of oil while transiting near Rodeo and Vallejo and received further information of sheen on the water reported by Coast Guard Station Vallejo crewmembers and other ferry vessels. Coast Guard and California Fish and Wildlife pollution investigators responded as well and were sent to various locations in the area.
The Coast Guard launched a helicopter crew from Air Station San Francisco to conduct an over flight of the area. The aircrew did not locate any sheen. They are scheduled to conduct a first light helicopter search Wednesday morning. Coast Guard boat crews searched the waters near Vallejo and Mare Island and did not locate any sheen as well.
It’s not known if the sheen reported on the water is related to the strong odor in the area that prompted local officials to issue a shelter in place order.
An urgent marine information broadcast is being issued to local mariners. Please contact the Coast Guard Sector San Francisco Command Center at (415) -399-7300 to report any oil sheen or other pollution.
We live far too close to Bay Area refineries not to have one as well. Also, we have an aging gas pipeline Infrastructure that is going to leak. Being told to "shelter in place" via Facebook somehow just doesn't seem to be adequate.
* (2016-09-21-1800) [archive.is/lvHNt]: According to the USCG they are still investigating the source. Both spills are near the Phillips 66 refinery, all arrows point to them. No response yet besides them denying involvement until a worker reported a problem this morning.
PG&E, Fire Dept, all searched for hours for a source of the smell. No word from Phillips 66. Wasted resources, FD reported no hazardous chemicals in the air. But they didn't know what exactly was causing the smell. I don't understand how they can claim it wasn't hazardous when they didn't know what it was.
I still feel off.
* (2016-09-21-2046) [archive.is/Pr93e]:
Phillips 66 has a statement on their community awareness hotline at (510)245-4070, which I have transcribed below.
"Thank you for calling the Phillips 66 San Francisco area refinery at Rodeo. At approximately 8:00 am today, a light, oily sheen was discovered at the Phillips 66 Rodeo refinery marine terminal, located at 1380 San Pablo Avenue in Rodeo. At the time, a tanker was berthed at the marine terminal. Our Internal Response Team immediately responded to the incident and we notified the National Response Center and the United States Coast Guard. Operations at the marine terminal have been temporarily shut down, and we are working closely with the Coast Guard and other agencies regarding the response. The exact volume of material released is still being determined. The cause of the incident is under investigation. At this time there have been no injuries associated with the release and there is no anticipated health impact to the community. The safety of the community, the environment and our people are of the utmost importance to our company, and these priorities will guide our efforts as we work with agencies on the response. For media inquiries, please contact Paul Adler Phillips 66's communication and public affairs manager at (510)260-5957. Thank you for calling the Phillips 66 community information line."
[comments]: They describe it as a release, not leak. They didn't discover it until 8am today... how?! Over 12 hours of active "releasing"...? No anticipated health risk to the community? Tell that to the hundreds seeking medical treatment that you should pay for!
* "Plastics industry pushing to halt bag-ban momentum" (2016-09-10, sfchronicle.com) [is.gd/rA7I3J]
* "Residents trashing recycling objectives; S.F. falls far short of goal of ending waste by 2020" (2016-09-18, by Heather Knight, San Francisco Chronicle newspaper):
It's easy for politicians to set goals for their cities. It's far, far harder to achieve them. Ta ke Sa n Francisco's much-heralded goal of sendi ng abso-lutely no garbage to landfills by the year 2020. In a compost-ed nutshell? It's nowhere near happening. Back in 2003 when the city's Commission on the Environment, at the urging of Mayor Willie Brown and the entire Board of Supervisors, set that goal, it was considered achievable. But 13 years later and just four years from the goal date, San Francisco continues to throw away huge amounts ofga rbage. The city's waste has averaged 1,463 tons every workday over the past year, according to Recology, the city's trash col It's easy for politicians to set goals for their cities. It's far, far harder to achieve them. Take San Francisco's much-heralded goal of sending abso-lutely no garbage to landfills by the year 2020. In a composted nutshell? It's nowhere near hap-pening. Back in 2003 when the city's
Commission on the Environment, at the urging of Mayor Willie Brown and the entire Board of Supervisors, set that goal, it was considered achievable. But 13 years later, and just four years from the goal date, San Francisco continues to throw away huge amounts of garbage. The city's waste has averaged
1,463 tons every workday over the past year, according to Recology, the city's trash col Lector. There's no penalty for not meeting the target other than, of course, a swelling landfill that's bad for the environment and a big dent in San Francisco's reputa-tion as one of the greenest cities in the world.
"We haven't hit our targets," said Guillermo Rodriguez, spokesman for the Department of the Environment. He called the zero waste plan a "big, audacious goal" that the city is still trying to meet, but admitted not everybody is doing their part. "Really, we need our busi-nesses and residents to do a much better job," he said, pointing out that 50 percent of what San Fran-ciscans put in their black bins could be recycled or composted instead. Recology began keeping daily garbage averages in 2008, but the annual trash tallies kept dating back to 2000 show big strides fol-lowed by complacency. In 2003, the year the zero waste goal was set, 581,567 tons of waste were sent to the city's landfill, 148,000
fewer tons than in the year 2000. Last year, that figure had dropped to 386,854, a 33 percent de-crease. The lowest tally came in 2012 when 366,504 tons of trash went to the landfill, but that fig-ure has crept up every year since. Like so much else in San Francisco, trash heaps grow and shrink along with the economy. More residents, more workers and far more construction projects mean more garbage, de-spite whatever goal was set all those years ago. Every workday, garbage trucks trundle into Recology's Transfer Station — better known as the dump — on Tunnel Avenue and unload their collected trash into a cavernous space twice the size of a basketball court and measuring 20 feet deep. An aver-
age day sees the gigantic hole filled 19 feet deep, a busy day even more. "Welcome to the pit," said Recology spokesman Robert Reed on a recent visit to the pungent site. The clinking noise coming from unloading trucks signaled city residents had put a lot of re-cyclable glass into their black bins. The aroma signaled plenty of compostable food was in there too. None of that can be plucked from the heap, and it all winds up in the landfill. "This is the sad place — it should be empty," Rodriguez said as he surveyed the huge pile of garbage. "This is where we need
residents to do a better job." San Francisco has a reputa-tion for being hugely environ-mentally friendly. In 2002, the Board of Supervisors unani-mously approved a long-term goal of producing zero waste and rolled out what the city dubbed the "fantastic three" — the blue, green and black bins that have become so well known. The next year, the Commission on the En-vironment specified the long-term goal for producing no trash would be 2020. Since then, the city has con-tinued to be on the cutting edge of environmental initiatives. It banned plastic bags in 2007. It
mandated composting in 2009, telling residents they had to place food waste in their green bins or risk being fined. It implemented the strictest ban on Styrofoam in the nation in June. But that environmental ethic doesn't always translate to what city residents and workers place in their bins. In fact, San Francis-cans create more trash every day than they do recycling and com-posted material together. Those clock in at about 699 tons and 659 tons a day, respectively. Reed said San Francisco is probably the only city in the country that composts more than it recycles, and that's a good thing
because composted material is so valuable. Not only can Recology sell composted material for use in farming, but keeping food waste out of blue bins means the recy-cled paper is also cleaner and can be sold for more money. Still, Reed said, San Francis-
cans can do a better job at com-posting. Some tips? Empty that old bag of bread or jar of spaghetti sauce into the compost bin before discarding the packag-ing. During refrigerator clean-outs, save all the waste, like soggy bits of vegetables at the bottom of the produce drawer and compost them. Restaurant workers, Reed said, are placing far too much re-cyclable material, like bottles and jars, into green bins, apparently by mistake at the end of a busy shift. Many of their plastic gloves are found in the green bins, too. Recology is working to do its part to get closer to that elusive
zero waste goal. Its recycling fa-cility is undergoing a S12 million upgrade, which should be com-pleted in November and will en-able more material from blue bins to be recycled. Reed said it's also important for shoppers to consider what they buy in the hope of swaying manufacturers to produce less packaging. For example, he said, buy bread in a paper sleeve rather than a plastic bag. Currently, soft plastics of any kind — such as bread bags — can't be recycled by Recology and go to the landfill. A tour of Recology's separate recycling facility at Pier 96 in Hunters Point made it clear how
confused residents are about what goes in the blue bins and how much excess packaging is produced by manufacturers. Like Willy Wonka's chocolate factory but for garbage, the facil-ity's conveyor belts and other gadgetry whisk discarded junk through the huge hangar as scores of staffers standing on dif-ferent levels pluck items that can't be recycled from the piles. "We see things like frying pans, tennis shoes, VCR tapes, garden hoses," Reed said. "You see everything." (During the "Sex and the City" craze in the early 20005, Christmastime brought the dis-tinct smell of vodka to the facility because, Reed said, every other woman in San Francisco was or-dering a cosmopolitan at her holi-
day party. That meant lots of vodka bottles in the blue bins. Now, the facility is back to smelling like wine in December.) A look at all those items whirring around the facility shows huge numbers of plastic water bottles, plastic containers that once held fruit or other food, and plastic bags of all sorts. The latter get wrapped around the machinery, gumming it up. As online shopping gets more popu-lar, enormous amounts of card-board and bubble wrap make their way to the center. Darryl Nloses, the recycling center's operations manager, said he thinks Recology does a good
job of outreach and education when it conies to letting people how to sort trash and how to re-duce the amount of junk pro-duced. "We let you know what you should put where and what you
shouldn't," he said. "If people would follow that, it would help take us a long way." But if the city doesn't turn it around quickly and the zero waste goal is not met, then what? "It's still a goal that we're
shooting for," Rodriguez said. "Is anything less than zero a success? I don't think we've had that con-versation."
SAN PABLO BAY EPA: Health and the Human Ecology
Monopolists enforce a regime that does not recognize the natural right to health and life. Info [detoxproject.org].
* "Florida company responsible for 215m gallons radioactive water leak admits delay informing public" (2016-09-21, rt.com) [archive.is/gOpMj]
* "Okla. agency linked quakes to oil in 2010, but kept mum amid industry pressure" (2015-03-03, eenews.net) [archive.is/qirc6]
* "Big Oil Pressured Scientists Over Fracking Wastewater's Link to Quakes; Energy firms tried to slow science inquiries blaming them for earthquakes in Oklahoma" (2015-03-30, bloomberg.com) [archive.is/77w05]
* "Oklahoma scientists were really careful about announcing the connection between fracking activities and earthquakes" (2015-03-21, businessinsider.com) [archive.is/IUQo8]
* "Drilling-induced earthquakes may endanger millions in 2016, USGS says" (2016-03-28, Scientific American magazine) [archive.is/DKLaP]
* "USGS Finally Confirms Wasterwater Fracking Causes Earthquakes" (2016-04-26, techtimes.com) [archive.is/XR3sm]
articles recommended by the
NO NUKES! campaign
[StopNuclearDeath.blogspot.com] [nuclear-news.net] [nukeresister.org] [nukefree.org]; National Radiation Map [radiationnetwork.com], depicting environmental radiation levels across the USA, updated in real time every minute.
* "Radioactive Food And Water The New Normal In Japan" (2016-09-14, by Richard Wilcox) [archive.is/SOJVu]
* "Exposed: Over 100 potentially deadly nuclear convoy incidents on mainland UK since 2000" (2016-09-21, rt.com) [archive.is/ypbat]
articles recommended by the
SAN PABLO BAY SOVEREIGNTY Think-tank
* "Fish 'Biowaste' Converted to Piezoelectric Energy Harvesters; Jadavpur University researchers in India devised a way to recycle fish byproducts into an energy harvester for self-powered electronics" (apl.aip.org) [is.gd/qH2zdb]
NORTHBAY ENTHEOGENIC FREEDOM
* "Alcohol Industry Bankrolls Fight Against Legal Pot in Battle of the Buzz" (2016-09-14, theintercept.com) [archive.is/Ws4RK]
ANIMAL RIGHTS: Save the Whales!
* "Study: Largest marine species most likely to be wiped out by humans" (2016-09-14, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/DEH6s]
UNITED STATES FASCISM WATCH
Documenting the process of fascism and for whom it benefits. [UnitedStatesFascism.blogspot.com] [exposefacts.org]
* "Wall Street Today: Fake Accounts, Fake Money, Fake Courts, Fake Regulators" (2016-09-13, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/jp3ut]
* "Database Reveals U.S. as Financial House of Horrors Since Repeal of Glass-Steagall Act" (2016-09-06, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/68GQm]
* "The Families Funding the 2016 Presidential Elections" (2015-10-11, nytimes.com) [archive.is/nSg6r]
* "Democracy in action: THESE ARE THE TOP 10 BILLIONAIRES BANKROLLING THE 2016 ELECTION" (2016-04-15, vanityfair.com) [archive.is/TfjW7]
* "Meet the wealthy donors who are pouring millions into the 2016 elections; Wealthy donors are giving record sums this cycle to super PACs, which can accept unlimited contributions from individuals and corporations. These groups are not allowed to coordinate their advertising with candidates or political parties, but often work in close proximity with the official campaigns. Here’s a look at who have given the most through July 31" (updated 2016-09-07, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/fS871]
* "Meet the Billionaires Manipulating the U.S. Presidential Election; America is no longer a country “by the people, for the people,” but a plutocracy. The new doc ‘Meet the Donors’ exposes our broken political system and the uber-rich pulling the strings" (2016-08-02, thedailybeast.com) [archive.is/UhYXO]
* "Hedge Fund Billionaires Help Push Wasserman Schultz to a Primary Win" (2016-08-31, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/VJabE]
* "Billionaires whose funds influence democracy" (2016-09-19, San Francisco Chronicle newspaper):
California has more billionaires than any other state and an abundance of direct democracy. Those two facts intersect during election season, when spending by wealthy donors helps deter-mine which initiatives make it on the ballot, and how many TV commercials and mailers campaigns can buy Their donations carry the potential to influence state policy for years to come. Here's a look at three high rollers influencing California's statewide ballot in November.
Tom Steyer: The San Francisco billionaire, who left the hedge-fund world a few years ago to devote himself to Democratic politics and environmental causes, is now the biggest individual donor to a super PAC in the nation. He's put $38 million into a committee running ads against Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump and working to register new voters in battleground states. Even though blue California isn't a swing state, Steyer is digging deep here, too. He's spent $1.6 million on a drive to register new voters, including young adults and people of color, whose lack of participation Steyer calls a "threat to democracy." There's speculation that he plans to run for governor in two years. Steyer said he'll make that call after the election. In a state with a long list of liberal ballot measures, Steyer and his political organization, NextGen Climate group, are boosting some of the most progressive causes. He has given $1 million to Proposition 56, which would raise cigarette taxes by $2 a pack to fund the Medi-Cal health plan for the poor, and $50,000 to Proposition 67, which would ban plastic shopping bags. NextGen even gave $61,000 to a campaign opposing money in politics. Proposition 59 asks voters if they want elected officials to take steps to repeal Citizens United, the U.S. Supreme Court decision that allowed unions and corporations to spend unlimited sums on political campaigns.
Charles Munger Jr.: A physicist who lives in Palo Alto, Munger is California's biggest Republican donor and the son of a corporate billionaire. In addition to funding GOP candidates, Munger has a history of supporting ballot measures that have gradually altered the state's political landscape by chip-ping away at power held by Democrats and their allies in organized labor. He contributed to measures that created a neutral body to redraw legislative and congressional districts and paved the way for the state's open primary system. This year, Munger has poured $7.9 million into Proposition 54, which goes after the Legislature's practice of writing and passing some bills at the last minute without giving the public much chance to weigh in. The measure would require that all bills be published at least 72 hours before a vote. "No one citizen benefits from transparency so much that they would take the Legislature on over this, but everyone will benefit considerably, so it's worth-while doing this as a form of philanthropy," Munger said. Munger is the sole financial donor to Prop. 54, prompting critics to say that the measure is not about philanthropy but about evening the political playing field for Republicans and their business allies. With Democrats holding a solid majority in the Legislature, last-minute maneuvers typically pass despite Republican objections. Munger noted that in 2006, when Republicans controlled the U.S. Senate, a Democratic senator wrote a bill to require that all legislation be in print for 72 hours before a vote. That senator? Barack Obama.
Sean Parker: The billionaire founder of Napster and first president of Facebook, Parker has contributed S400,000 to Proposition 63, a gun-control measure, and 87.5 million to support Proposition 64, which would legalize recreational marijuana. Both initiatives are backed by Lt Gov. Gavin Newsom, who was a guest at Parker's 2013 wedding — a lavish Big Sur bash that infu-riated environmentalists because it involved building a dance floor and other construction near an ancient redwood forest. Parker has given Newsom more than 556,000 for his 2018 run for governor. Parker did not respond to an interview request. Prop. 64 spokesman Jason Kinney said in a statement that Parker supports making marijuana use legal for adults as "an important cause for social justice."
* "Quid pro whoa! Documents link Wisconsin governor to dark money" (2016-09-15, rt.com) [archive.is/XwMv0]
* "Schwarzenegger out to pump up GOP candidates’ coffers" (2016-09-16, sfchronicle.com) [is.gd/eEPXp5], photo caption: Arnold Schwarze negger, shown at a movie premiere this month, sent an email urging support for Republicans in Senate races. “I care about our country’s future,” he wrote. “I know you do too.”
* "The "Soviet tanks": Nazi propaganda worked on Schwarzenegger, Limbaugh & Hannity" (2004, prisoncensorship.info) [archive.is/3rxYT]: "I saw their [Soviet] tanks in the streets. I saw Communism with my own eyes," said Governor Schwarzenegger in his speech August 31st at the Republican National Convention [archive.is/Jt9qe] [is.gd/USpi9r], of his native Austria and not for the first time either. He's made similar remarks in speeches before and the major media outlets simply do not correct him, which is why dumb-ass conservative voters put him in power. Even the relatively few media outlets who do talk about Schwarzenegger's inaccuracies do not mention the connection to Nazi ideology.
"'As a child he could not have seen a Soviet tank in Styria,' Stefan Karner told the Vienna newspaper Kurier.
"Mr Schwarzenegger, now a US citizen, was born on 30 July 1947, when Styria and neighbouring Carinthia belonged to the British zone. Austria was occupied by the Allies, including the US, the Soviet Union and France.
"The Soviets left Styria in July 1945, less than three months after the end of the war,' Mr Karner noted.
"Another sceptic, Franz Nitsch, said: 'Let me tell you this: as a boy, I lived for many years across the street from where the Russians were based in Vienna -- and I never saw a Russian tank. He said it all on purpose -- and that’s bad.'
"Mr Schwarzenegger also said in his convention address: 'As a kid, I saw the socialist country that Austria became after the Soviets left.'
"Austria regained its independence in 1955 after the departure of Soviet forces. But Martin Polaschek, of Graz University, pointed out in Kurier that the country was governed by coalitions, including the conservative People’s Party and the Social Democratic Party. Between 1945 and 1970, all the nation’s chancellors were conservatives -- not socialists" [archive.is/wfHgO].
Listening to Schwarzenegger, one would have thought Austria was behind the "Iron Curtain." Instead, he lived in the British zone of occupation and likely not allowed out of it. The Soviet occupation was relatively light in Austria and all Soviet troops were gone by Schwarzenegger's age eight. This brings us to the point. A boy ranging from age 1 to 8 does not know he is looking at Soviet tanks unless an adult told him. Schwarzenegger's father belonged to the Nazi Party as a stormtrooper [archive.is/Kyema].
Schwarzenegger is great proof why MIM is right and there has to be a joint dictatorship of the proletariat of the oppressed nations (JDPON). Even in a dramatic change like the collapse of Nazism, an imperialist country like Germany (which had annexed Austria) in 1945 does not go through immediate revolutionary transformation. Children such as Arnold do not receive proper education without JDPON and the whole world is still paying for that in 2004.
In countries where the "workers" are infected with parasitism, the people continue trying to sponge off the rest of the world through colonialism/imperialism. In such a context, it becomes possible to buy the old Nazi propaganda equating Jews, capitalist Allies and Soviets. The key is making an accurate judgement of the old social material--the Nazis in this case. The Nazis were simply not ready as people to go forward and communist strategy must take that into account.
In 1941, the outlines for propaganda work written by the Nazis said that propagandists should stress that Jewry "is ready to turn all of Europe over to Bolshevism, its only goal being to destroy Adolf Hitler and his people" [archive.is/Y9uvS]. Taken in this light, Schwarzenegger's comments about communism in Austria make more sense. It's 2004 and pitiful dinosaur Arnold Schwarzenegger still thinks someone turned over Austria to Bolshevism--(and we say, if only!)
The day after Schwarzenegger's speech, radio talk-show and TV host Rush Limbaugh defended Schwarzenegger; although we did not hear the Soviet tanks subject brought up. Limbaugh said the speech was "conservative" and not "moderate" and went so far as to defend the speech against reactionaries from California who oppose Schwarzenegger as a "liberal."
Likewise, on Sean Hannity talk radio we heard praise. Since Schwarzenegger rehabilitated Nixon in his speech, the reactionary talking heads were eating that up too.
Mushing together socialism, Jews and Western democracy--that is a Nazi propaganda trick that treats everything outside Nazi ideology as the same. Speaking of pre-Nazi Germany, the Nazis said, "Its constitution was based on the political doctrines of foreign peoples, particularly Western democracies, and were strongly influenced by the Jewish spirit" [archive.is/xuEjL].
The most sophisticated Nazi propaganda distinguished among Western "democracies" and the Soviet Union by referring to "the plutocratic-Jewish-Bolshevist world coalition" [archive.is/tC9J]. In 1944, warning Germans to fight hard even as the tide had turned in World War II, the Nazi propagandists said that a Jewish journalist favored by Stalin said: "The remains of the European peoples who escape our tanks and flame-throwers — and not only the Germans — will be sent to work as slaves in the mines of Siberia" [archive.is/tC9J]. That comment was typical of how the Nazis prepared their own people in 1944. It is not a mere coincidence that Schwarzenegger has made speeches talking about Soviet tanks sending Austrians to work in Soviet labor camps. The Nazis are the originals putting such talk in the air. The Nazis' accusations and fantasies about the Soviet Union lived on in young Arnold.
Of course, MIM is not the only one to denounce Schwarzenegger for calling parliamentary democracies "socialist." A law history professor in Austria pointed out how Schwarzenegger was mushing things together before defending him as just a "politician." What the media does not do is explain who it was that originally referred to everything as communist and all of Europe under communist power--the Nazis.
Arnold Schwarzenegger has become a big donor to Jewish Holocaust causes [archive.is/Kyema], but taking the Jewish part out of Nazi propaganda and leaving the rest the same is not correct either.
Today reactionaries are doing the same thing as the Nazis--calling everything "socialism" including conservatism in Austria. As is typical for reactionaries, they justify this, because they believe all politics is lies and spin anyway. A Schwarzenegger defender said this: "He did not speak as a historian, after all, but as a politician" (Associated Pres newswire, via azdailysun.com) [archive.is/3nFuQ].
This is not surprising, because most reactionaries in the West base themselves in Christianity and assume that politics is just another fairy-tale like the Bible. For them, consistent use of words like "socialism" is not necessary. If they like something, they call it "conservatism." Otherwise, if something bad happens, it's supposed to be "socialism"'s fault according to these pre-scientific reactionaries. It becomes pointless to discuss with them--another reason that force is the only thing that educates people like Arnold Schwarzenegger's father. Try to avoid the truth of the necessity of the joint dictatorship of the proletariat of the oppressed nations and the children turn out like Arnold--damn confused politically and historically.
* "Whopper: Arnold Schwarzenegger - What were Soviet tanks doing in Austria's British-occupied sector?" (by Timothy Noah):
- "When I was a boy, the Soviets occupied part of Austria. I saw their tanks in the streets. I saw communism with my own eyes. I remember the fear we had when we had to cross into the Soviet sector. Growing up, we were told, "Don't look the soldiers in the eye. Look straight ahead." It was a common belief that Soviet soldiers could take a man out of his own car and ship him off to the Soviet Union as slave labor. My family didn't have a car—but one day we were in my uncle's car. It was near dark as we came to a Soviet checkpoint. I was a little boy, I wasn't an action hero back then, and I remember how scared I was that the soldiers would pull my father or my uncle out of the car, and I'd never see him again. My family and so many others lived in fear of the Soviet boot. Today, the world no longer fears the Soviet Union and it is because of the United States of America! As a kid I saw the socialist country that Austria became after the Soviets left. I love Austria and I love the Austrian people—but I always knew America was the place for me." —Arnold Schwarzenegger, Aug. 31, 2004 [archive.is/PgNBs].
- "It's a fact—as a child he could not have seen a Soviet tank in Styria," the southeastern province where Schwarzenegger was born and raised, historian Stefan Karner told the Vienna newspaper Kurier.
Schwarzenegger, now a naturalized U.S. citizen, was born on July 30, 1947, when Styria and the neighboring province of Carinthia belonged to the British zone. At the time, postwar Austria was occupied by the four wartime allies, which also included the United States, the Soviet Union and France. The Soviets already had left Styria in July 1945, less than three months after the end of the war, Karner noted. —Roland Prinz, Associated Press, "Historians Criticize Schwarzenegger For Austrian History Gaffes," Sept. 3, 2004 [archive.is/S8IzS].
- Discussion. The AP story quotes Schwarzenegger spokeswoman Margita Thompson saying, "Never in there did the governor reference that the tanks were where he grew up. It was a reference to visiting Soviet-occupied Austria." But he sure as hell implied having lived on an everyday basis with both the risk and the reality of encountering Soviet goons. Phrases like "Growing up, we were told" and "I remember the fear we had when we had to cross into the Soviet sector" strongly suggest that Soviet soldiers were milling around Thal, the village where young Arnold lived, or nearby Graz, the closest urban center. Which was impossible, because both were inside the British zone. If, as Thompson says, Schwarzenegger was referring to a specific trip he took from Austria's British zone to its Soviet zone—he would have been at most 8 years old since the Soviets left Austria for good by September 1955—why can't we hear the details? Schwarzenegger has told the Soviet tank story before (in his inaugural address [archive.is/PxLcI] and earlier, in remarks to the California Republican Convention [archive.is/gwtG7]), and every time he's left vague the particular circumstances that brought him into contact with the Soviet military. As Schwarzenegger has noted many times, his family was poor. A trip from Thal, in Austria's south, to the Soviet sector, in the north, would have left a deep impression.
That the Schwarzenegger family would have wanted to take such a trip seems doubtful in the extreme. Patt Morrison of the Los Angeles Times, in an earlier examination of this claim [is.gd/k9detZ], noted the obstacle of "British and Soviet antipathy during the occupation." The very fearsomeness of the Soviets would have made any sensible Austrian reluctant to enter their jurisdiction. Remember, too, that Schwarzenegger's father had volunteered to be a brown shirt in Hitler's Sturmabteilung, an item on his resume that might have given the Soviets a legitimate reason to detain him.
I can't let pass Schwarzenegger's smarmy implication that postwar socialism, to whatever extent it was practiced in Austria, was the legacy of Soviet occupation. There was and remains a big difference between European-style socialism and communism. The former boasts a long and proud tradition of anticommunism. That would have been especially true in Austria, where every chancellor between 1945 and 1970 was a conservative [archive.is/S8IzS]. The characteristic vice of Austrian conservatism isn't softness on communism. It's softness on Nazism [archive.is/Vu0cw].
* "Media Silent As Company Behind Dakota Access Pipeline Steals More Land In Texas For A Different Project" (2016-09-14, by Claire Bernish) [archive.is/0l4dy]
* "Wells Fargo CEO should face reckoning" (2016-09-09, sfchronicle.com) [archive.is/7top0]
* "Wells Fargo Exec Who Headed Phony Accounts Unit Collected $125 Million" (2016-09-12, fortune.com) [archive.is/w6Taz]
* "Workers tell Wells Fargo horror stories News of bank scandal rocks industry" (2016-09-09, click2houston.com) [archive.is/K7eUb] [begin excerpt]: Former employees tell CNNMoney that they felt incredible demands from managers to meet sales quotas. The same managers turned a blind eye when ethical and even legal lines were crossed.
"I had managers in my face yelling at me," Sabrina Bertrand, who worked as a licensed personal banker for Wells Fargo in Houston in 2013, told CNNMoney. "They wanted you to open up dual checking accounts for people that couldn't even manage their original checking account."
Currently a middle school teacher, Bertrand said she believes the sales targets were set by managers who were higher up: "The sales pressure from management was unbearable."
The pressure cooker environment is also described in a lawsuit filed by Los Angeles against Wells Fargo in May 2015. The lawsuit says that Wells Fargo's district managers discussed daily sales for each branch and employee "four times a day, at 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm and 5 pm."
It all stems from Wells Fargo's internal goal of selling at least eight financial products per customer. It's what Wells Fargo calls the "Gr-eight initiative." Currently, Wells Fargo boasts an average of about six financial products per customer.
In pursuit of this goal, Wells Fargo employees engaged in all kinds of sordid practices. One of them was internally called "pinning," where the bank issued ATM cards and assigned PIN numbers without customer authorization.
The bankers would impersonate their customers and "input false generic email addresses such as firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure the transaction is completed," the lawsuit said. The customer, meanwhile, remained completely unaware of the unauthorized activity.
Anthony Try, who worked at Wells Fargo's branches in San Francisco and San Diego as a personal banker and sales representative, told CNNMoney that he believes "management was fully aware of this," but his bosses deliberately "turned a blind eye."
Try, who quit in 2013 because he no longer believed in what he was doing, thinks the illegal activity was systemic.
"It was ingrained in the culture for a long time," he said. [end excerpt]
* "Wells Fargo Fined for Fraudulently Opening Accounts for Customers" (2016-09-08, nytimes.com) [archive.is/i5Z0t]
* "5,300 Wells Fargo employees fired over 2 million phony accounts" (2016-09-08, money.cnn.com) [archive.is/Iy8CK]
* "Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin Says Conservatives May Have To Turn To Physical Violence; 'Whose blood will be shed? It may be that of those in this room,' Bevin said" (2016-09-15, huffingtonpost.com) [archive.is/Rm0NA]
* "Evidence mounts that Kentucky governor’s election may have been rigged" (2015-11-06, dailynewsbin.com) [archive.is/xZEso]
* "Republican platform calls for destruction of workers' rights" (2016-09-13, peoplesworld.org) [archive.is/lyhTP]
* "Trump says he would eliminate food safety regs" (2016-09-15, thehill.com) [archive.is/sFPe9]
* "Alaska state Rep. Tammie Wilson sponsors bill to do away with most safe food regulations" (2012-03-24, newsminer.com) [archive.is/QgFtB] [begin excerpt]: A bill introduced by North Pole Republican Rep. Tammie Wilson would do away with much of the state’s safety regulations for food sold directly to consumers in an attempt to grow Alaska’s local food industry and farmers markets.
That has health officials worried. House Bill 202, which was heard in the House Labor and Commerce Committee this week, would remove safety regulations not only for the traditional farmers market fare but also for potentially hazardous foods like seafood, shellfish, poultry, meat, dairy and any other processed foods.
Currently, the Department of Environmental Conservation has no regulations for direct-to-consumer food sales for raw fruits and vegetables, syrup, honey and jam. But the state does have safety regulations on most other processed foods and raw foods where there’s a potential for dangerous bacteria to make it to the consumer.
But Wilson feels that expenses like permits and equipment are stifling the development of local food. Instead, she said the consumer should take responsibility for the food they eat.
“We just think that there’s something called responsibility that is here,” she said during the committee hearing. “I don’t think government is there to keep us safe from absolutely everything, you can’t protect everybody from everything.”
She said, instead, that the state should take an education-based approach to food safety.
Wilson’s bill would require sellers to provide a card that alerts the consumer that “This product has not been inspected by any governmental agency and may be harmful to your health.”
But relying purely on consumers to avoid food-borne illnesses isn’t a good way to grow the industry, said Environmental Health Director Kristin Ryan who testified against the bill’s sweeping changes.
“People buy food under the assumption that it’s safe to eat,” she said. “Yes, people should have personal responsibility. But when there’s some clear risk, it’s our responsibility to protect against that risk.” [end excerpt]
* (2016-09-14, facebook.com) [archive.is/ElBlz]: Speaking of Donald and the Deplorables, I always get a laugh when Trump postures as a man of the people (while shafting them every chance he gets.) As I've written on this page, I grew up with rich kids like Trump. Like Chris Hedges, who was a middle-class scholarship kid sent to New England prep schools, I was surrounded by these entitled boobs. Here's what Chris has to say about the experience in "Unspeakable," a new Hot Book, in which we engage in a lively, extended conversation:
"The rich have disdain for anyone who does not belong to their inner circle. They believe that their wealth and privilege is conferred upon them because of their superior attributes. They define themselves not by what they are in private – in private they are usually bastards – but by the public persona created for them by publicity. They see their possessions and power, which in most cases they inherited, as natural and proper because they believe they are inherently better than others. Balzac said that behind every great fortune lies a great crime. He got that right.
"All these families – the Mellons, the Rockefellers, the Carnegies, the Morgans – started out as gangsters. They hired gun thugs to murder union organizers and strikers. We had the bloodiest labor wars in the industrialized world. Hundreds of workers were killed. Tens of thousands were blacklisted. These oligarchic families pillaged, looted and ruthlessly shut down competitors. Their grandsons were sitting next to me in class at Eaglebrook in their school blazers, which by the way could only be purchased at Lord and Taylor.
"The refinement of the rich is a veneer. They can afford good manners because they use others – including the machinery of state – to carry out their dirty work. They often know the names of the great authors and artists, but they are culturally and intellectually bankrupt. They are consumed by gossip, a pathological yearning for status and obsessed by brands and possessions – mansions, yachts, cars, gourmet food, clothes, jewelry or vacations at exclusive resorts. They epitomize the cult of the self and the unchecked hedonism that defines a consumer society. They talk mostly about money -- the money they made, the money they are making and the money they will make. They are philistines.
"My mother’s family was from Maine. I spent most of my summers with her family, fishing and hunting. They were working class. My grandfather worked in a post office. One of my uncles -- who had fought in the South Pacific in World War II -- came back destroyed physically and psychologically. We did not have an understanding of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. He suffered alone. He was an alcoholic and lived in a trailer. He worked in my great-uncle’s lumber mill. But this was only because he was family. Once he was paid, he often disappeared to drink away his paycheck. He reappeared when his money ran out. Another uncle, who was the soul of decency, was a plumber. Many of my relatives, especially my grandfather, were quite intelligent. But none of them had much of an education. My grandfather had to drop out of high school to work his sister’s farm after her husband died.
"Going back and forth between that world of an elite prep school and this mill town in Maine -- Mechanic Falls -- I realized that in terms of native intelligence and aptitude, there were people in my family who were as gifted as anyone in my prep school. The difference was that they, like most of the working poor, were never given a chance. And that is what it means to be poor in America. You don’t get a chance while the rich get chance after chance after chance.
"Look at George W. Bush, a man of limited intelligence and dubious morals. He was a drunk, a cocaine addict, went AWOL from his National Guard unit, and never really held much a job until he was 40. And he ends up as president. Affirmative action is alive and well, at least for the rich. They know how to take care of their own. And it does not matter how mediocre they are.
"I watched how the elites and the children of the elites treated those 'beneath' them. I saw my classmates – boys of eleven or twelve – order around adults who were their servants, cooks and chauffeurs. It was appalling. The rich lack empathy for those who are not also rich. Their selfishness makes friendship, even among themselves, almost impossible. Friendship for them is defined as 'what’s in it for me.' They are conditioned from a young age to kneel before the cult of the self. I do not trust the rich.
"To them everyone is part of their elite club or, essentially, the help. It does not matter how liberal or progressive they claim to be. I would go back to Maine and it would break my heart. I knew what my classmates thought of people like my relatives. I also knew where I came from. I knew whose side I was on. And I have never forgotten."
USA FASCISM: Military State
* "Vector Space Systems Awarded $2.5M in NASA and DARPA Contracts; Contract will Enhance Company's Flight Test Program of the Vector-R Launch Vehicle" (2016-09-08, vectorspacesystems.com) [archive.is/al1Q6]
* "Raytheon awarded $9.8 million AMRAAM contract modification" (2016-09-12, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/06yyu]
* "Air Force advances rocket technology, tests first full-scale component of Hydrocarbon Boost Program" (2016-09-02, Air Force Research Laboratory Rocket Propulsion Division, edwards.af.mil) [archive.is/jWRdO] [begin excerpt]: The United States is one step closer to eliminating its reliance on Russian technology to launch its military satellites.
The Hydrocarbon Boost Technology Demonstrator, a U.S. Air Force technology effort focused on development of Oxygen Rich Staged Combustion rocket engine technology, has recently completed its first full-scale component test at 100-percent power.
The development of Oxygen Rich Staged Combustion technology has been deemed a critical technology for the nation to help eliminate the United States’ reliance on foreign rocket propulsion technology.
The testing was performed by Aerojet Rocketdyne under contract to the Air Force Research Laboratory Rocket Propulsion Division, nicknamed the AFRL Rocket Lab. The HBTD’s kick pump is the first full-scale component to commence testing. [end excerpt]
USA FASCISM: Two Party Dictatorship
* " 'Contingency Plan' Now Called For By Former DNC Chairman – Allows Insertion Of SELECTED Elite Puppet" (2016-09-14, by Bernie Suarez) [archive.is/XJjUB]
* "Pence Again Says KKK Leader Isn't Deplorable; How long will Paul Ryan and Ron Johnson join David Duke in supporting Trump?" (2016-09-13, vdlf.org) [archive.is/ywQPn]
WORLD FASCISM WATCH
Documenting the global economic dictatorship
* "Greece Disaster Shows Unavoidable Consequences of Socialism" (2016-07-11, dailysignal.com) [archive.is/56UdK]. LoL. The guy who wrote this article is totally insane. He is blaming Socialism for the troubles caused by neo liberalism in Greece. So what's next Socialism killed Dinosaurs ?
* "Wall St. Helped to Mask Debt Fueling Europe’s Crisis" (2010-02-13, nytimes.com) [archive.is/FuPSR]
* "How Goldman Sachs Profited From the Greek Debt Crisis; The investment bank made millions by helping to hide the true extent of the debt, and in the process almost doubled it" (2015-07-16, by Robert B. Reich) [archive.is/VsqEt]
* "What is far-right organization Right Sector doing marching in Toronto's Ukrainian Festival Parade?" (2016-09-19, theleftchapter.blogspot.com) [archive.is/bKfSm]
information collected by the
BAY AREA PEACE COUNCIL
[SolanoPeaceJustice.blogspot.com], for justice, dignity and human rights in accordance with the 1966 International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (.pdf) [is.gd/TftqGs], and an end to the USA's endless wars, in harmony with Principle 1 & 6 of International Law [archive.is/tmncz], the 5 protocols of the Convention on Conventional Weapons (CCW) [archive.is/LhUTj], and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights [archive.is/U1Ota].
* "What You Can Do to End War on the International Day of Peace; We need to do the long, hard, nonviolent, community building work to reduce and eliminate the arms trade and militarism" (2016-09-21, by David Swanson, via telesurtv.net) [archive.is/mjlMV]
* "Post-9/11 Wars Have Cost Nearly $5 Trillion (and Counting): Report; As nation remembers 9/11 victims, report calculates cost of military response to attacks" (2016-09-13, commondreams.org) [archive.is/2DylR]
* "Declassified FBI report: Foreign policy, not religion, sparked rise of terrorism in US" (2016-09-15, rt.com) [archive.is/0Zf5x]
* "2011 FBI report finds “broadening U.S. military presence” responsible for rise in terror attacks; Role of American foreign policy largely unaddressed in Obama administration’s counterterrorism programs" (2016-09-14, muckrock.com) [is.gd/fjZ1Rr]
* "US pursuit of military domination hampers space arms ban negotiations – Churkin" (2016-09-14, rt.com) [archive.is/WvSYp]
* "The Human Rights Ruined Zone Under the 'Statue of Liberty' " uploaded 2016-09-21 to the Uriminzokkiri channel at youtube.com [youtube.com/watch?v=ixEyXT6OkLw]
Originally broadcast in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) [exploredprk.com].
* "Bombed: A Potato Chip Factory, A School, A Doctors Without Borders Facility, And Now A Water Well; Strikes in northern Yemen on Saturday reportedly killed two children and first responders as US-backed coalition continues ‘disturbing’ strikes" (2016-09-12, by Andrea Germanos) [archive.is/F5KpM]
* "Spare Libyan oil, NATO allies say" (2016-09-13, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/l0fla] [begin excerpt]: NATO allies called on parties to the conflict in Libya to immediately abandon any hostile action that may jeopardize energy infrastructure and oil exports.
The governments of France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States expressed concern about weekend attacks on oil terminals in Libya.
"We call on all parties to undertake an immediate ceasefire and to refrain from any further hostilities," they said in a joint statement. "We also call on all forces to avoid any action that could damage Libya's energy infrastructure or further disrupt its exports." [end excerpt]
* "British military wanted to weaponize boy scouts & football in failed battle for Libya" (2016-09-15, rt.com) [archive.is/iVVWo]
* "Corruption and waste in Afghanistan: Role of US gov’t exposed in new report" (2016-09-14, rt.com) [archive.is/3F2fD]
* "UK troops will be protected from Iraq War ‘vexatious allegations’ - Theresa May" (2016-09-21, rt.com) [archive.is/AXtwW]
New Cold War News
* "Former NATO chief Rasmussen wants US ‘to police the world’ " (2016-09-21, rt.com) [archive.is/cFovw]
* "US spy agencies divert resources from war on terror to focus on alleged Russian threat – report" (2016-09-15, rt.com) [archive.is/urUdo]
* "US allocates $3mn to back Russian NGOs ahead of parliamentary elections" (2016-09-14, rt.com) [archive.is/IdlS3]
* "US intel head suggests Russia behind DNC hacks, says Moscow tried to affect elections in past" (2016-09-21, rt.com) [archive.is/NaGAU]
* " ‘Russia hacked RNC’: Republican lawmaker ‘misspoke’ on CNN" (2016-09-15, rt.com) [archive.is/tKzwY]
* "U.S. military commanders are 'pissed off' about the mission creep in Syria" (2016-09-18, militarytimes.com) [is.gd/hCs4xO]
* "The CIA’s 'Dirty War' in South Sudan; It's that simple—the war in South Sudan is about denying China access to Africa’s oil" (2016-09-05, by Thomas C. Mountain, via telesurtv.net) [archive.is/rzq7v]
* " ‘Flagrantly violating int’l norms’: US jets caught spying on Non-Aligned summit, says Venezuelan MoD" (2016-09-21, rt.com) [archive.is/oIuZS]
* "Iran leader meets with Fidel Castro during stop in Havana; Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has met with former Cuban leader Fidel Castro and his brother President Raul Castro during a state visit in Havana" (2016-09-19, usnews.com) [archive.is/So9Vd]. Dennis E. writes: What do countries like Iran, Cuba, Russia, and China share in common? Certainly not religion. One is Islamic, one Catholic, one Orthodox and one Atheist. It's definitely not language nor culture as they all represent different civilizational states with widely divergent histories. Not economics nor politics as they are all following their own developmental paths. So what is it that brings them together? It is Anti-Imperialism. The struggle of our age is between US Imperialism and the people of the world. The question is, whose side are you on? The side of the greatest oppressor of humankind in history or the side of those struggling against it? That is the question of our times.
* "Israel and Paraguay: Two Peas in a Counterterror Pod? Israel and Paraguay are working together to fight Hezbollah – in South America's Tri-Border Area?" (2016-09-20, by Belén Fernández, via telesurtv.net) [archive.is/WF1nz]:
While attending the 2009 General Assembly of the Organization of American States in Honduras, then-Israeli Deputy Foreign Minister Danny Ayalon sounded the alarm [archive.is/0b3C7]: “We know that there are flights from Caracas via Damascus to Tehran.”
Although flight routes by now have presumably been altered on account of the war in Syria, the possibility of air travel between Latin America and Iran continues to serve as one of the pillars of alleged evidence that the Islamic Republic has “penetrated” [archive.is/PsIrP] the Western Hemisphere with its usual aims of bringing destabilization and terror to the United States’ “doorstep” [archive.is/e52Rb].
Other bits of “proof” of nefarious meddling include the fact that Iran happens to maintain various embassies and cultural centers in the region [archive.is/v5l6D]. Never mind that the Iranians are not the ones penetrating Organization of American States meetings — or that Ayalon himself proclaimed in regard to Israel’s diplomatic history: “(We) have had embassies in Latin America, more embassies here than we had in many other parts of the world, even though the distance is great.”
A few years back I paid a visit to the Iranian embassy in La Paz, Bolivia, portrayed in traditional propaganda as a terror command and control center guarded by the Quds Force [archive.is/HRmiC], an elite division of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps. As of 2012, it consisted of a house with a yard and a female Bolivian receptionist. The Quds Force had managed to disguise itself as a solitary Bolivian policeman.
And while the Israelis and their backers in the U.S. insist on casting as potentially apocalyptic in nature each and every diplomatic and economic maneuver in the hemisphere by Iran and other Shia entities, Israel barges ahead with its own perfectly acceptable forms of hemispheric conquest.
In early September, the Jerusalem Post announced the opening of a new-and-improved Israeli embassy in the Paraguayan capital of Asunción [archive.is/M4Fl5]. “After Colombia,” the article notes, “Paraguay is considered Israel’s closest friend in South America,” having persevered by Israel’s side during tough times such as the summer 2014 Israeli assault on the Gaza Strip known as Operation Protective Edge.
According to the United Nations, the 50-day affair killed 2,251 Palestinians, among them 551 children [archive.is/BiE96]. Of course, regular bouts of slaughter haven’t propelled Israel onto the list of U.S.-designated “state sponsors of terrorism,” an honor reserved for places like — you guessed it — Iran [archive.is/Cnmn2].
The Jerusalem Post goes on to mention other instances of Paraguayan solidarity with the Jewish state, as in “a very significant vote in the (International Atomic Energy Agency) last September that would have forced Israel to open its nuclear facilities to international inspectors.”
What was that about Iranian nuclear obstinacy?
But back to Asunción. An Israeli Foreign Ministry press release about the opening of the new embassy offers some clues as to what Israel is up to in Paraguay [archive.is/j0CQi] aside from buying meat and providing “risk-prevention systems” to a massive hydroelectric power plant.
The third paragraph of the press release specifies that “Israel cooperates with Paraguay in the battle against terrorism and maintains a supportive role in actions against Hezbollah at the tri-border region.”
This region — the Tri-Border Area where Argentina, Brazil, and Paraguay meet — has long been hyped as an epicenter of Shia Islamic terror consisting of militant training camps, rampant drug trafficking and money laundering operations, and even the Hezbollah-sponsored “pirating of compact disks,” as Jeffrey Goldberg wrote in The New Yorker in 2002 [archive.is/JDXfE] as part of what appeared to be an extended hallucinatory fit. [end excerpt]
Weapons for a New World Order
* "What Artificial Intelligence Will Look Like In 2030" (2016-09-30, Leah Burrows) [archive.is/chLXE]
* "Newest DARPA Challenge: 'Shift Paradigm' With Robot Radio; The Pentagon’s Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) has kicked off three-year contest for the creation of an Artificial Intelligence radio tech that would de-clutter the radio spectrum, introducing a “paradigm shift” in modern technology" (2016-09-10, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/wyD91]
Articles reflecting the views of war planners
* "MULTI-DOMAIN BATTLE: A NEW CONCEPT FOR LAND FORCES" (2016-09-15, warontherocks.com) [archive.is/CvkLe]
USA Homeland's resident nations:
Nations exist alongside the Federal [archive.is/VXoPR], and State governance [archive.is/Cz2uF]. Demographic maps: 2000 [archive.is/nXHXz], 2010 [archive.is/nKbSA], religion [archive.is/XArBS]. The New Afrikan nation, and the nation of Nueva Aztlan, each have their own separate sections on this news page.
Sovereign nations of the "Indian Country", and of traditional lodges.
Map [archive.is/s4FYb]; News [indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com] [bsnorrell.blogspot.com]
* "The Big Difference at Standing Rock Is Native Leadership All Around; Dallas Goldtooth, a veteran organizer of the Keystone XL fight, is amazed at the historic support from tribes at Standing Rock--even tribes that rely on resource extraction" (2016-09-11, yesmagazine.org) [archive.is/h7efx]
* "The Great Sioux Nation and the Resistance to Colonial Land Grabbing" (2016-09-12, beaconbroadside.com) [archive.is/oncjH]
* "Breaking: Riot Police Begin Mass-Arrests at Dakota Access Pipeline, FB Censors Video" (2016-09-13, theantimedia.org) [archive.is/bnTuM]
* "Riot Police Begin Mass Arrests At Dakota Access Pipeline, FB Censors Video" (2016-09-14, by Nick Bernabe) [archive.is/fj5iL]
* (2016-09-14, facebook.com/CampOfTheSacredStone) [archive.is/5mOOA]: At least 22 people were arrested today near a Dakota Access Pipeline construction site in North Dakota. Two people had locked down to machinery and stopped construction on the site when 50-60 riot police showed up.
With their assault weapons drawn, the riot police surrounded a large group of peaceful water protectors on the site and arrested them without warning. After those arrests were made, the riot police moved towards a group of support people on a public road and specifically targeted and arrested members of the media.
Please donate to the Red Warrior Camp bail fund to help get folks out of jail: https://www.generosity.com/fundraising/red-warrior-camp-legal-fund-nodapl
While the Obama administration has halted some work on the Dakota Access Pipeline near the camps, construction continues in many other areas. We must stay vigilant until the whole project is cancelled once and for all.
The battle is intense on the front lines, but we won't back down.
* "Indigenous Nations unified: ‘No to pipelines! Yes to sovereignty’ " (2016-09-14, workers.org) [archive.is/M2jEQ]
* "North Dakota oil well spewing after weekend blowout" (2015-10-19, Reuters Newswire) [archive.is/1hFlR]
Commonwealth of Puerto Rico (USA territory) and the Boriqueno nation
* "Puerto Rico’s One-Sided Class War; Puerto Ricans are suffering from intense exploitation and a lack of democratic control over the island’s wealth" (2016-09-13, jacobinmag.com) [archive.is/NgAMI]
USA Homeland's resident nations:
American Nation, including the State Sovereignty campaigns, and Dominionist Campaigns. [tenthamendmentcenter.com]
* "How the Alt-Right Is Attempting to Hide Its White Supremacist Ties" (2016-09-15, truth-out.org) [archive.is/TIyUI]
* "Trump supporters first pepper spray, then yell “n****r lover” to 15-year-old protester in Paul Ryan’s hometown" (2016-03-30, salon.com) [archive.is/pqUIH]
Northbay Uprising FM Radio News is broadcast courtesy of 89.5 FM-KZCT [OzcatRadio.com]
On Ozcat Radio, tune-in online [is.gd/kJ1EUt] for:
- The Stranger News, broadcast Thursdays, 5 to 5:30pm, featuring latest news on science, technology, space, and cutting-edge research on the mind, world history, and entheogenics!
- The Northbay UpRising Morningshow, broadcast Tuesdays, 7 to 9am, with local news, and topics on Peace, the Ecology, Do-It-Yourself ideas, and Communitarianism!
- KBBF Weekly News, broadcast Tuesdays at 8:45pm, on the Northbay UpRising morningshow!