Tune in Thursdays 4 to 5pm (PST), at 89.5FM in the northeast San Pablo Bay Area, or online at [is.gd/kJ1EUt].
Hosted by Dr.G., Minister of Information of the Northbay MDS.
Be a Community Journalist with our Community Journalist's Notebook [link].
Send news & info to [NorthbayMDS@) gmail.com]!
Northbay Uprising News scripts [link].
Archived webpages at (archive.org) and at (archive.is) are available even if the original is taken down. News links are provided for educational purposes only, and do not constitute an endorsement of political tendencies, or, of foreign governments. Circumvent "Error 451" [archive.is/WOZXx] by using the proxy server at [webproxy.to] or, by using Tor Browser [is.gd/r18EVD].
A list of gatherings, workshops, and educational events in the greater Bay Area region
Here is the Facebook Event Page to Share:
National Day of Action to Exonerate & Free Imam Jamil Al-Amin (Oakland Programs)
Friday, September 16. at 1 to 9 pm
At Lil Bobby Hutton Park, at Defremery Park in Oakland
Please join The National Day of Action to Exonerate & Free Imam Jamil Al-Amin (formerly known as H.Rap Brown) on Friday September 16th, 2016 hosted by the OICC (Oakland Islamic Community Center in association with IJAN (Imam Jamil Action Network).
We will begin with Jummah Prayer at 1:30pm at Lil Bobby Hutton Park (Defremery) in West Oakland.
Immediately following Jummah there will be a Rally for Imam Jamil Al-Amin at 2pm with speakers and community outreach.
The night program is from 7-9pm at the OICC (7901 Oakport st. Suite 4400 Oakland CA 94601) and will be a work meeting in which the people can get actively involved with the freedom campaign for Imam Jamil Al-Amin which is being organized by IJAN (Imam Jamil Action Network) Check out [imamjamilactionnetwork.weebly.com] for more information on IJAN.
For any questions, comments or concerns about the Oakland events for Imam Jamil plz contact: [oicc813@)gmail.com] or call [510-633-4798], [510-282-2587] or [415-272-9924].
The Imam welcomes your letters of support and encouragement.
You may send your Greeting Cards and Letters to The Imam at: IMAM JAMIL ABDULLAH AL-AMIN 99974-555 USP TUCSON U.S. PENITENTIARY P.O. BOX 24550 TUCSON, AZ. 85734-4410
FOR MORE INFO CALL [678-499-8351]
The Imam Jamil Action Network (IJAN) is reaching out to individuals and organizations of conscience, those committed to justice and truth, to join us on Sept. 16th, 2016, for A National Day of Action and Support for Imam Jamil Abdullah Al-Amin (the former H. Rap Brown). The National Day of Action will comprise a series of nationwide initiatives designed to educate some, and re-acquaint others, on who Imam Jamil Abdullah Al-Amin is, where he is, how he got where he is.
We invite all who possess a passion for human rights and human dignity to join in the September 16th effort by conducting actions of their own choosing and capacity (within their own localities) for this well-known and respected political prisoner. IJAN is also planning to hold a major action at a central location on that same date, God willing.
In preparation for the National Day of Action, we invite you to join us for a national tele-conference one month earlier, on August 16th. On that day we will provide updates on Imam Jamil's medical condition and legal status, and introduce helpful organizing tools and contacts for the Sept. 16th National Day of Action.
For the past 16 years Imam Jamil has been a political prisoner -- unjustly imprisoned, for deeply held convictions going all the way back to his days as H. Rap Brown. It was learned through the discovery process, leading up to and during what masqueraded as a trial, that government scrutiny of Imam Jamil (via undercover informants and provocateurs) increased following his embrace of Islam – despite the laudatory work done by Imam Jamil and his community in cleaning up the West End of Atlanta (where his faith community, Al Ummah, was based). Our ultimate goal is to generate the required pressure to exonerate and free Imam Jamil Abdullah Al-Amin insha'Allah!
Stories are reviewed and provided by Northbay MDS Committees and Affiliates
BAY AREA SOLIDARITY
Updates on campaigns for Peace, Justice, & Freedom across the greater Bay Area, Norcal, and Socal
Justice for Mario Romero vigil photo set (2016-09-03)
[archive.is/WXs2l] [archive.is/nDsso] [archive.is/oF7s5] [archive.is/Pl6S8] [archive.is/rN6va] [archive.is/St5Vd] [archive.is/TwKVU] [archive.is/kcKlX] [archive.is/KSJL0] [archive.is/byJb3] [archive.is/dD3dr] [archive.is/eGId8] [archive.is/fJneP] [archive.is/4Z13x] [archive.is/jT1hB] [archive.is/yN0vF]
With Cyndi Mitchell (on right)
With Cadine Williams, Angela Naggie, Al Osorio and Dionne Smith at Vallejo Waterfront.
* (2016-09-04, facebook.com/floyd.harris.581) [archive.is/slXsk]:
Civil rights leader Rev. Dr. Floyd D. Harris, Jr was with the family this morning. Today was the 1 year anniversary for Freddy Centeno who was murderd by the Fresno police. Freddy was shoot 9 times point blank and didn't have a chance to live. Family said Freddy had mental illness but would not harm anyone. Fresno Police officers has turn into a murder squad shoot first and ask questions later. Today the family said there are 9 brothers 9 sisters and today was the 9 month and Freddy was shoot 9 times. Freddy Centeno Father lead the march being push in a wheel chair while his mother, brothers, sisters, and community leaders attended the march. 9 roses were laid at the spot where Freddy fell were he was shoot to death. Please watch the video and you can see Freddy didn't have a weapon. You would think by now the Fresno Police Department would have learn from their gross negligent by killing Freddy Centeno in 2015 unarmed and now 2016 they make the same negligent against Dylan Noble who was unarmed.
Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer believes his officers reacted accordingly, when they shot and killed Freddy Centeno.
Freddy Centeno was murderd by Fresno Police officers under the leadrship of Cheif Dyer [archive.is/f1uI3].
As tax payers are we getting our money worth? Chief Dyer 15 years of services salary divide by the number of law suits brought against the Fresno Police Department. Do you think Chief Dyer is a liability to the City of Fresno?
Today 9-3-16 march for justice for Freddy Centeno [youtube.com/watch?v=AXF5kDRF9Rw]
* "Colin Kaepernick Announces $1M Donation as Part of Plan to Take His Protest 'a Step Further' " (2016-09-02, abcnews.go.com) [archive.is/xwxkt]
* "49ers safety Eric Reid joins Colin Kaepernick in protest of national anthem" (2016-09-01, ninerswire.usatoday.com) [archive.is/o5Htm]
* "Jeremy Lane sits during national anthem ahead of Seahawks-Raiders" (2016-09-02, espn.com) [archive.is/lXIrh]
* "Abdul-Jabbar: Insulting Colin Kaepernick says more about our patriotism than his Let athletes love their country in their own ways" (2016-08-30, by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, via washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/GGcw8]
* "U.S. soccer star Megan Rapinoe joins Colin Kaepernick in kneeling during national anthem" (2016-09-05, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/erT3D]
* (2016-09-04, facebook.com/shaunking) [archive.is/IJOy4]: An even clearer image of Eric Reid kneeling alongside Colin Kaepernick during the National Anthem this week.
I am hopeful that other players will join them both in the weeks ahead.
* "Kaepernick fallout: Santa Clara cops threaten not to staff 49ers games" (2016-09-02, sfchronicle.com) [archive.is/f0c65]
* "Police Union Threatens to Stop Working Unless 49ers “Take Action” Against Kaepernick" (2016-09-03, thefreethoughtproject.com) [archive.is/AfDEo]
* "Cops Threaten Not to Protect Kaepernick But Will Provide Extra Security For Rapist Brock Turner" (2016-09-03, blacksportsonline.com) [is.gd/Nhx6gb]
* (2016-08-02, facebook.com/policethepoliceACP) [archive.is/jKm7p]: Can someone please explain this!? People tried to tell us this cop's tattoo wasn't necessarily related to Nazi's. That might be true regarding it's origins but most people identify and recognize it as a symbol of Nazi, Germany. Besides this guy is not ashamed about being a Nazi apologists, checkout this picture he took while reenacting [archive.is/JnUte].
Here is another one [archive.is/YhTHi]. How do you feel about this?
* "Photos surface of Philly police officer with Nazi tattoo Officer allegedly patrolled a Black Lives Matter march during the Democratic National Convention" (2016-09-01, phillyvoice.com) [archive.is/UC5ub]
In a 2010 hack it also came to light that he was a member of "Blood and Honour" a white supremacy neofascist group.
* "Philadelphia police investigates one of their cops after 'disturbing' image emerges of pro-Nazi and 'Fatherland' tattoos on his arms; Philadelphia cop under investigation for pro-Nazi tattoo on his left arm; Officer Ian Hans Lichtermann has a Reichsadler eagle emblazoned on arm; The tattoo on his forearm also features the word, 'Fatherland', in bold text; Other arm has a picture supporting the old fascist group, American Legion; Philadelphia's Mayor called the tattoo disturbing and 'incredibly offensive' " (2016-09-01, dailymail.co.uk) [archive.is/YACLE]
* (2016-09-01, Adante Pointer) [archive.is/vK6Wp]:
So the San Francisco Police Officers Association sent a letter to the 49ers and NFL demanding that Colin Kaepernick apologize for standing with the people against police misconduct...smh
Well instead of idling sitting by, my self as well John L. Burris, Cephus Johnson, Black Panther Chairwomen Elaine Brown, Min. Keith Muhammad , Min. Christopher Muhammad, the Justice 4 Mario Woods Coalition, Honor 4 Luis Gongora Pat Coalition, SF Public Defender Jeff Adachi and many others held a Press Conference on the doorsteps of the SF POA to let Kaepernick know we have his back and he has community support.
What Kaepernick did is Mohammed Ali like in the sense that he used his platform as a superstar athlete to speak up for those who can't speak for themselves and to bring attention to the plight of those whose suffering is often ignored. He exercised his 1st Amendment right and that's as American as Apple Pie!
* (2016-09-02, facebook.com/shaunking) [archive.is/3telc]:
Today something VERY special happened that won't get told unless you share this. Colin Kaepernick had a private meeting with Nate Boyer - the Army Green Beret and former standout football player. They both respect each other a great deal.
Colin invited Nate down to the game in San Diego so they could have an open dialogue about America, injustice, the military, the Star Spangled Banner, and so much more. They met for a good 90 minutes and talked about what a compromise would look like for Colin.
This is where Colin agreed to take a knee during the National Anthem. Colin has always loved and respected the men and women who serve.
Nate said, "We talked about change a lot and how to get positive change to happen. We talked about issues that are taking place in this country and how to prompt change but I also reminded Colin of the great freedoms and luxuries we have in America."
Tonight, Nate stood with Colin and the 49ers as their special guests before the game.
* (2016-09-01) [archive.is/RQo2y]
* "Antioch home targeted in hate crime, vandalized with Nazi Swastika" (2016-09-07, kron4.com) [archive.is/BZQhY]
LUCHA PARA LA NUEVA AZTLAN!
* "California: Chicano Leftists Fight the Machine; teleSUR spoke to leftist Latinos outside the realm of electoral politics who are grappling with the phenomenon of Bernie Sanders' popularity, while being defiantly against Hillary Clinton" (2016-06-07, telesurtv.net/) [archive.is/Jaeji], photo caption: Ultimately, these organizers, artists and activists look to focus their efforts beyond the two-party system.
* " 'Make America Great Again' – the White Settler's Last Stand; Matt Sedillo: 'This is not about the wall or the law – it’s the fact that too many Mexicans and Latinos are living within the US for their comfort' " (2016-08-18, telesurtv.net) pg. 1 [archive.is/xkPIH], pg. 2 [archive.is/KfC1L]
* (2016-09-01, Blanca Rodriguez Alanis) [archive.is/WJPqO]:
First time wearing my beret, I do so with pride and courage. It's an honor to be a member of the Brown Berets familia. It's an honor and a privilege to serve and fight for The People. Brown Power
SOLIDARITY WITH THE NEW AFRICAN NATION!
Black Power! Revive the Community! Defend the Nation!
National News [blackagendareport.com] [atlantablackstar.com] [sfbayview.com]
* "Ferguson, Missouri, protest leader found shot dead in burning car: police" (2016-09-07, Reuters Newswire) [archive.is/sC8F2] [begin excerpt]: Missouri detectives have not determined a motive or identified any witnesses in an investigation into the death of a man who led protests in the city of Ferguson following the fatal 2014 shooting of Michael Brown by a law enforcement officer, police said on Wednesday.
Protest leader Darren Seals, 29, was found shot inside a burning car in the village of Riverview, about five miles east of Ferguson, early on Tuesday, St. Louis County Police said in a statement.
Ferguson, a St. Louis suburb, gained national attention because of rioting after the August 2014 shooting of Brown, an unarmed black 18-year-old, by white police officer Darren Wilson. Most protests were peaceful, but violence erupted again when a grand jury decided not to bring charges against Wilson.
A federal investigation later found patterns of racial discrimination by Ferguson police.
The demonstrations helped to coalesce the civil rights movement Black Lives Matter.
"I don’t recall anyone having a longer protest, a more productive protest, a more creative protest than what we did," Seals said in an interview with MTV released in November 2014. "I don’t think people will ever really appreciate what we did until years from now."
Hours before Seals' death, he posted on Twitter about Colin Kaepernick, a San Francisco 49ers National Football League quarterback who protested racial injustice and police brutality by declining to stand for the national anthem, and the U.S. presidential election. In his Twitter profile, Seals described himself as a "businessman, revolutionary, activist, unapologetically BLACK, Afrikan in AmeriKKKa, fighter, leader." [end excerpt]
information collected by the Worker's Defense Committee [is.gd/VOkmLr]
* "Americans Are Becoming More Pro-Union; Public perception of unions took a hit during the Great Recession, but is now at its highest point in six years" (2015-08-17, huffingtonpost.com) [archive.is/bYLHt]
* "Labor Day is May 1; Today (September 7th) is a boss’s holiday" (2015-09-07, jacobinmag.com) [archive.is/7Tb0O]
* "The True Story Of Labor Day: Debunking The Myth" (2014-08-31, popularresistance.org) [is.gd/mCKGQg]
* "Labor Day Is a Scam To Keep You Poor and Miserable Forever" (2013-08-30, gawker.com) [archive.is/d7F9z] [begin excerpt]: Labor Day is a complete rip-off. Labor isn't celebrated at all—instead, a single day's break from labor is celebrated. You might think this is a stupid thing to care about, because Labor Day is really just about getting drunk in your yard, again. But that's actually evidence of this very successful con job pulled on you, the American worker (or unemployed person, or discouraged worker, or "grad student"). You probably don't even believe in Labor Day.
America, as you've surely been told, is a very special country. One example of the superiority of the United States is that it managed to deport the global workers holiday called May Day. This was especially skillful because May Day began not in Russia or Finland or Middle Earth, but in Chicago, a major American city built specifically to exploit the labor of poor immigrants.
On May 4 of 1886, police opened fire on laborers demanding an eight-hour workday. The cops had been sent over by their bosses at the slaughterhouses and City Hall to break up the rally and smash skulls. The chance to open fire on the workers conveniently arrived when a crude bomb was tossed toward the coppers by persons unknown; eight local anarchists were rounded up and convicted—four of them were slowly strangled in an intentionally botched public hanging, while a fifth condemned man blew off a significant portion of his own head by chewing on a blasting cap he'd smuggled into prison.
The phony trial gave fuel to the new global labor movement, and it inspired the creation of International Workers' Day on May Day of 1889, meshing with the European spring festivals held on May 1.
Leaders of other countries would've loved to kill off May Day. But it was too wrapped up in the old pagan spring celebrations, now starring cheery mobs of laborers singing ancient songs about smashing the system and sawing off the head of the screaming king. After dancing around the maypole and drinking everything in sight, the festively clad young people would tear off their folk costumes and screw each other in the forest, like wood sprites.
But every now and then, the revelers would launch a real revolution, which is how we got the Soviet Union and leftists and all that.
Very crafty U.S. holiday planners within the federal government were told by bankers and industrialists to find a way to get rid of this phenomenon. They had watched with interest as the Catholic Church tried (and failed) to steal May Day from workers by renaming it Saint Joseph's Day—the mythological Joseph, the cuckold in the tale of Mary's supernatural pregnancy, was the patron saint of going along with the system even though you're utterly dead inside.
For Washington, the answer was to simply have a different kind of May Day—one that was more about sitting in the yard getting drunk, instead of storming the Bastille or seizing the means of production. After U.S. marshals and soldiers slaughtered railroad workers during the 1894 Pullman Strike, the federal government quickly whipped up a national workers' holiday. This "Labor Day," the first Monday in September, was preferable to the May Day agitations that called for worldwide socialist revolutions.
The American authorities re-christened May Day as "Law and Order Day," a deft bit of word magic that knocked the life out of U.S. celebrations of May 1. The commemoration of the Haymarket Massacre itself, on May 4, is now a fake Disney holiday—May the Fourth Be With You celebrates the immense financial success of Star Wars products.
Labor Day worked all right during our brief mid-20th century era of a prosperous middle class and a less desperate working class and a fully marginalized poor with no access to Twitter. But as a salaried job went from the norm to a prize held by the fortunate, the hard-won eight-hour workday became something sadder and stranger. [end excerpt]
* "Union decline has taken big bite out of nonunion paychecks, report says" (2016-08-31, chicagotribune.com) [archive.is/V17sI]
Invite a Labor Notes trainer to visit your union. Our team of experienced trainers and advisors offer expertise on topics ranging from steward basics to contract campaigns to new officers taking over a local. Our new three-part training series covers the Secrets of a Successful Organizer. Bring it to your union or city! Email email@example.com or call 718-284-4144.
Check out our newest book, Secrets of a Successful Organizer, $15 [labornotes.org/secrets].
It’s a step-by-step guide to building power on the job. You’ll learn how to identify the key issues in your workplace, build campaigns to tackle them, anticipate management’s tricks and traps, and inspire your co-workers to stand together despite their fears.
Plus, you can now download 42 free handouts from the book here [is.gd/r1Txvu], in a letter-sized format that’s easy to print and share. They're great for study groups or trainings.
Subscribe to Labor Notes magazine [is.gd/HE8heG]. It’s just $30 a year for a monthly dose of practical information, success stories, and labor movement news and analysis. Better yet, boost your subscription to a bundle. Many individuals and locals get five to 200 copies every month to hand out to co-workers, stewards, or the local executive board. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to set it up.
* "City of Oakland SEIU 1021 Members and East Oakland Residents Take on Toxic Trash" (2016-09-06, seiu1021.org) [archive.is/gGTdk]
* "Stephen Hawking Says We Should Really Be Scared Of Capitalism, Not Robots; 'If machines produce everything we need, the outcome will depend on how things are distributed' " (2015-10-08, huffingtonpost.com) [archive.is/AETyv]
* "The Robot War Is Coming – And It’s Not Against Robots; While much of the worrying by humans about robots has focused on a war against robots, little is given to thinking about war by those displaced by robots" (2016-04-30, thedailybeast.com) [archive.is/yRcKt]
* "Obama just warned Congress about robots taking over jobs that pay less than $20 an hour" (2016-03-10, techinsider.io) [archive.is/K9PYE]
* "Technological Unemployment: The Real Reason This Elephant Chart is Terrifying" (2016-08-31, futurism.com) [archive.is/J7aXX]
HANDS OFF OUR HOMES!
* "Hacker houses are proliferating in the Bay Area" (2016-08-22, by Lynda Carson, indybay.org) [archive.is/4rFZY] [begin excerpt]: Civil Code Section 1950 - Know Your Rights Hacker House Tenants...
For those of you renting space in a hacker house/shared housing, or for those of you who are curious about Civil Code Section 1950, I hope this will help people to better understand California law in regards to these situations.
See link and information below...
Civil Code Section 1950 [http://codes.findlaw.com/ca/civil-code/civ-sect-1950.html]
One who hires part of a room for a dwelling is entitled to the whole of the room, notwithstanding any agreement to the contrary; and if a landlord lets a room as a dwelling for more than one family, the person to whom he first lets any part of it is entitled to the possession of the whole room for the term agreed upon, and every tenant in the building, under the same landlord, is relieved from all obligation to pay rent to him while such double letting of any room continues. [end excerpt]
* San Francisco, CA Hacker House Attorneys (hooshmandlawgroup.com): The concept of “Hacker Houses” or “Hacker Hostels” have become increasingly wide-spread in San Francisco. The owners or hosts of these Hacker Homes claim that their goal is to bring together communities of hackers to work and share ideas with one another under one collaborative roof. In reality, this scheme has created the illegal short-term rentals of individual bunk beds within residential spaces, with as many as five or six beds crammed into one dorm-like room. The average nightly rental rate for each bed can be more than $50.00 and as a result, incentivizes many landlords and tenants to rent out their units on a short-term basis to pocket a higher profit. This has not only created unsafe conditions for the numerous individuals living within these Hacker Houses, but has also caused excessive noise and security concerns for the neighbors residing next to these House Houses. Many of these Hacker Houses will see tens if not hundreds of individuals moving in and out every month, with some staying for a few nights and others, a few weeks. Hacker Houses have also contributed to San Francisco’s growing housing crisis, as an increasing number of residential units are not being utilized or made available for long-term tenants’ use.
information collected by the Committee to
DEFEND THOSE WITHOUT HOMES!
* "Palms Not Bombs Converted motel provides long-term stability to homeless veterans" (2016-08-17, bohemian.com) [archive.is/0kYGB]
* "Do No Pharma Former SRJC intern says local rehab didn't follow rules when it came to dispensing pills" (2015-04-15, bohemian.com) [archive.is/QEiv0]
* "Gilman Street homeless camp being shut down" (2016-08-04, sfchronicle.com) [archive.is/NYQnH], photo caption: Kerrie Crawford collects what she can of her belongings after Caltrans and CHP officers clear out a homeless encampment on Gilman Street below Interstate 80 in Berkeley, Calif. on Thursday, Aug. 4, 2016. Caltrans will be erecting reinforced fencing to prevent the homeless from camping at the site below the freeway.
COMMUNITY FASCISM WATCH
* "Walmart Über Alles Rohnert Park City Council votes to bring Supercenter in" (2015-01-21, bohemian.com) [archive.is/ESij1] [begin excerpt]: Anti-Walmart agitator Rick Luttman described the development as "outrageous and disgraceful. No other city in Sonoma County would have done something like this. They're all a bunch of wimps.
"The worst part," he adds, "is they clearly don't believe in democracy. The opinions expressed by citizens last night was overwhelmingly opposed to Walmart."
Rohnert Park officials argued that it's not their concern to decide which businesses are good for the city and which aren't.
Debriefer reached out to Liza Featherstone, author of Selling Women Short: The Landmark Battle for Workers' Rights at Walmart, for some thoughts on how Walmart might have managed to convince Rohnert Park officials to green-light the proposed expansion, despite a broad base of opposition.
The corporation has grown savvy, Featherstone notes, given the torrent of criticism directed at them for low wages, poor job security and ongoing patterns of gender discrimination.
"The company has gotten really good at telling a different story," she says. "They've had so much practice over the years."
And indeed, the Tuesday vote was met with protesters banging drums and, as the Press Democrat reported, supporters wearing Walmart buttons and carrying signs that said how wonderful the company is.
But workers' rights problems with Walmart haven't been addressed by the company in any substantive way, says Featherstone. It has plowed forth with cheery public relations campaigns, many featuring smiling workers sporting the signature blue Walmart apron, gushing about the friendly corporate culture.
"It's not just about the low hourly wages," says Featherstone, "but the difficulty in getting enough hours, and reliably just being on the schedule, which is another huge challenge for someone trying to make ends meet. And, on top of that, the health insurance is terrible, and it's hard to get it because it's so hard to get the necessary hours to qualify for it."
As Featherstone notes, one of the tricks to a successful Walmart campaign is to promise jobs in an area that's otherwise short on them. The jobless rate in Sonoma County, however, has plummeted over the past two years, from almost 7 percent in 2013 to below 5 percent as of late 2014.
The issue isn't necessarily the quantity of available jobs, but the quality. Featherstone notes that "any conservative, or just an observant person, would argue that people apply for these jobs. If there were better jobs in the community, obviously people wouldn't be applying at Walmart, and that's one thing that communities have to consider. Why would they want these low-paying jobs? The community probably needs to be providing other ways that people can make a living. If there is support, it's probably because there are significant numbers of people who are not finding jobs," she says. [end excerpt]
Napa County is supposedly wealthy, yet the wealth is held privately, while the civil government struggles to provide housing for the workers who have created the basis for the wealth...
* "Napa County looks at family farmworker housing" (2016-09-05, napavalleyregister.com) [archive.is/6BZok]
Documenting human-rights abuse by domestic security agencies
[NorthbayCopwatch.blogspot.com] [copblock.org] [wecopwatch.org] [filmingcops.com]
* "First of Its Kind Study Shows 55,400 People Hospitalized or Killed by US Cops in a Single Year" (2016-07-26, countercurrentnews.com) [archive.is/7Fmyz]
* "CAN MILITARIZATION BE A GOOD THING FOR AMERICA’S POLICE?" (2016-09-06, warontherocks.com) [archive.is/wi2UD]
* "Hairstylists are Required to Attend Significantly More Training Than Cops" (2014-05-27, thefreethoughtproject.com) [archive.is/HxOwe]
* "Court Documents Reveal Cooperation Between FBI And Oakland PD In Stingray Case" (2016-09-06, Alek Hidell) [archive.is/96qBI]
* "Police Introduce “Restraining Bags” In Escalation Of War Against The Mentally Ill" (2016-09-06, by Isaac Davis) [archive.is/4tF9m]
* "Ex NYPD Cop Admits ‘We Planted Evidence, Framed Innocent People’ All For Arrest Quotas" (2014-12-27, countercurrentnews.com) [archive.is/YR2Ir]
* "Dallas Cop Breaks Rank, Says Blacks Wrongly Arrested to Fill Quotas, Warns National Guard May Be Used" (2016-07-24, thefreethoughtproject.com) [archive.is/rsrA9]
NORTHBAY COPWATCH: Domestic Security Agencies and private-sector partners
* "LATEST DHS PUSH IN SILICON VALLEY: DRONES FOR BORDER PATROL" (2016-07-20, nextgov.com) [is.gd/bI4VNS]
* "US Border Patrol Drones Hacked by Drug Cartels; THE DRUG CARTELS ARE HACKING US BORDER PATROL DRONES IN ORDER TO CROSS THE US-MEXICAN BORDER ILLEGALLY" (2016-01-03, hackread.com) [archive.is/snY7c]
* "DHS: Drug Traffickers Are Spoofing Border Drones; The homeland security agency, and local law enforcement as well, are looking to harden its drones against attack, but that comes at a price" (2015-12-17, defenseone.com) [archive.is/pl6rG]
* "Embry-Riddle UAS Program Leads Nation as One of First to Begin Flight Operations" (2016-08-30, news.erau.edu) [archive.is/PVVR0] [begin excerpt]: The long-awaited Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (sUAS) rule known as Part 107 from the FAA went into effect Monday morning, Aug. 29. Almost immediately, students and faculty from the Aeronautical Science Department at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University’s Daytona Beach Campus became some of the first remote UAS pilots in the nation to begin flying, opening new doors for the Unmanned Aircraft Systems Science (UASS) program. [...]
Embry-Riddle was one of the first schools in the nation to offer a degree in UAS. Both the Prescott, Ariz., and Daytona Beach campuses offer a Bachelor of Science in Unmanned Aircraft Systems Science. The Daytona Beach Campus also offers a Master of Science in Unmanned and Autonomous Systems Engineering. The university’s Worldwide Campus offers a Master of Science in Unmanned Systems, a Master of Science in Aeronautics with UAS Specialization and a Bachelor of Science in Unmanned Systems Applications. All three campuses offer a minor in Unmanned Aircraft Systems. [end excerpt]
* "PATHOS, WHERE ART THOU? INTELLIGENCE ANALYSIS AND ETHICAL PERSUASION" (2016-09-07, warontherocks.com) [archive.is/rIXsY]
* "Why You Should Be Paying Attention To America’s Quiet War On Cash" (2016-09-06, by Shaun Bradley) [archive.is/HYkL5]
* "Secretive foe attacks Google over government influence" (2016-09-03, bayareanewsgroup.com) [archive.is/QwvN5] [begin excerpt]: Google's enemies are legion. It has fought bitter court battles against Apple, Microsoft, Oracle and PayPal.
It has faced a well-financed campaign by Oracle, TripAdvisor, Expedia, Nokia and others against its European operations, plus a similar action driven by Yelp. It's been targeted in a lawsuit by AT&T over access to utility poles for Google Fiber.
Now, in what appears to be a new tactic on the technology industry battleground, Google has come under attack by a mysterious group that keeps mum about its sponsors while issuing scathing reports about the Mountain View search giant's influence on government. Among its recent revelations: High-ranking Google execs have had more than 20 "intimate" meetings with President Barack Obama, and the company has a revolving-door employment relationship with the federal government.
While the backers of the "Google Transparency Project" may be hidden, its purpose is clear, observers say: To offer purportedly objective research and commentary that can be used to thwart Google's burgeoning power in Washington, D.C., and elsewhere, much as similar "think tanks" have sought to undermine the environmental lobby or promote development projects. [...]
Google, with a market capitalization of $529 billion, is a Goliath among Bay Area tech giants. It is known for disrupting industries around the world, from travel to media to transportation, making it enemy No. 1 for many competitors and leaving a trail of lawsuits in its wake. Oracle is still fighting to renew a failed $9 billion lawsuit accusing Google of stealing Oracle code to cash in on the Android mobile operating system. [end excerpt]
* "US taxpayers funded Clinton’s private email servers through ‘Former Presidents Act’ " (2016-09-04, rt.com) [archive.is/JK5ol]
* "SpaceX to launch satellite by reusing rocket; The launch of SES-10, which will be the first satellite sent into space on a SpaceX flight-proven rocket, is scheduled for the fourth quarter of 2016" (2016-08-31, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/yDTyc]
* ICWatch files for employees of the MITRE Corporation SIGINT, pg.1 [archive.is/EFk8d], pg. 2 [archive.is/wTYoz], pg. 3 [archive.is/uvViP], pg. 4 [archive.is/6XUUR], pg. 5 [archive.is/xDUkU].
More spooks sucking on the tax-dollar spigot [archive.is/gVj0q] [archive.is/ywj4S] [archive.is/nMYTA] [archive.is/c3DIi] [archive.is/d6iIZ] [archive.is/2kiw0] [archive.is/rXCWm] [archive.is/5shy5] [archive.is/v8gY8].
As of this day, August 15, 2016, we, “August Twenty-ninth Movement”, will no longer volunteer or support the “National Chicano Moratorium Committee” (NCMC), which consist of one known member, Jaime Cruz, Chairman of the NCMC. The NCMC has failed its supporters, which consist of grass roots organizations, Local progressive groups, students, and local educators by allowing its supporters and volunteers to be subjected to a “Slapp Lawsuit” by a Private Investigator, Jan B. Tucker. Meanwhile, this Slapp lawsuit has crippled the honest efforts and elements of the community while the struggle continues in its presence. These supporters, grass root organizers, and community members, who have looked forward to the annual Chicano Moratorium as a reminder of our peoples Strength, Cultura, and Inspiration. The community and its true supporters, do not deserve to be treated in this manner by an Organization such as the NCMC who claim to fight for self-determination and independence. It is very Individualistic for the “NCMC” (Jaime Cruz) to abandon its/ his (NCMC) supporters and volunteers at a time of need and treat them as “Fair Weather Friends” after all the support they have shown and given to the “NCMC” and its community in support of the Annual Chicano Moratorium.
In the efforts of: “Self Determination”:
“The Right of the people of a particular place to choose the form of government they will have”
“The Freedom to make your own choice”
“Free choice of one’s own acts or states without external compulsion”
“Determination by the people to a territorial unit of their own future political status”
Supporters, Grass Roots Organizations, Students and Educators should be able to contribute to the community without the fear of being sued by those who allow the community and its people to be oppressed and restricted.
August 29th, 1970!!!!
And the Murder of Ruben Salazar!!!!
Today, our local community members are being sued, in an act AGAINST “SELF DETERMINATION!” while utilizing the system which has been used to oppress the people
August 29th, 1970
Grass root organizations, students, and educators, supporters and family came together.
The “Chicano Moratorium” belongs the “People, the Community”, and should not be restricted or oppressed.
Belongs to the people!
La Lucha Sigue!!
Los Angeles County
Case No. BC 592038
* "People in Glass Houses Should Not Throw Stones at the Chicano Moratorium" (2016-08-17, janbtucker.com) [archive.is/Ol2Kv] [begin excerpt]:
The fact is, today’s ATM’s only link to the original ATM is that its founder was thrown out of the League of Revolutionary Struggle (LRS) on suspicion that he was a management informer during a successful union decertification campaign. Following the vote all other union officials and LRS members at the plant were systematically fired…he was the sole person standing who kept his job after the purge. This was according to his ex-wife who was told this by one of his long time comrades literally on his death bed. LRS itself disbanded years ago so ATM today is not a successor organization.
What is the lawsuit about?
I am a private investigator. Accusing me of being a “government informer” against the National Chicano Moratorium Committee could not only ruin my professional practice, it could get me attacked and killed and could result in clients in jail or prison being attacked and murdered simply through guilt by association.
That is precisely what suspended attorney Guillermo Suarez insinuated at an NCMC meeting. His sole basis for the claim is that I am a member of InfraGard which provides me with free continuing education opportunities courtesy of the FBI. My business clients greatly benefit from this training. So do my criminal defense clients. It’s no secret and never has been and in fact Suarez freaked out over the fact that I openly pointed it out in my blog, in public, on the internet. [...]
Yet Suarez and his cohorts had the gall to insinuate that I’m an informer? [end excerpt]
Photo caption: (from Left to Right) Jan B. Tucker, Guillermo Suarez, Carlos Callejo, with Black Panther Roland Freeman
* 2009-10-05, J. B. Tucker with child trafficker Bill Clinton, at the Biltmore in Miami, celebrating the fascist coup over the Republic of Honduras against the socialist-leaning President Zelaya, more about the event at [archive.is/wjKGk] [archive.is/DU6Px].
NORTHBAY COPWATCH: International Security Agencies, the Five-Eyes, and transnational partners
* "Leaked: UK-made military spy gear on offer to US police" (2016-09-02, rt.com) [archive.is/VANDr]
* "Intelligence Support Activity (ISA)" (retrieved 2013-01-12, from specwarnet.net) [archive.is/qQsf6] [begin excerpt]: In 1989, during Operation Just Cause, the American invasion of Panama, ISA proposed to deploy a team of its intelligence agents to track Manuel Noriega, but the offer was declined. The ISA wasn't popular within JSOC.
Also in 1989, ISA was rumoured to have taken part in the hunt for the richest drug trafficker in the world, Pablo Escobar, operating under the code-name Centra Spike. An investigation by journalist Mark Bowden (author of Blackhawk Down) revealed that in 1989, the Colombian government asked for US help in tracking down Escobar. A top-secret "Army electronic surveillance team," was sent to aid the Colombians in August of 1989, as a part of Operation Heavy Shadow. Centra Spike was known to operate under several cover names, including Torn Victor, Cemetery Wind, Capacity Gear and Robin Court, and closely matched ISA's description. Stationed in the fifth floor of the American embassy, and operating from specially outfitted Beechcraft 300 and 350 aircraft, Centra Spike tracked Escobar around the country. Its skills "perfected during missions over El Salvador," Centra Spike honed in on Escobar's cellular phone calls and relayed the information back to Colombian police forces. Unfortunately, the police were either heavily corrupted or unwilling to arrest Escobar, and the intelligence went to waste. When Escobar surrendered in 1991, Centra Spike was pulled out, only to return a year later, when Escobar escaped from his comfortable prison. Deployed together with a small Delta Force contingent, Centra Spike flew over Colombia in their airplanes and continued to track Escobar. The Beechcrafts were made to appear normal from the outside, save for a wingspan six inches longer. This extra length concealed the main eavesdropping antennas, while others could be lowered from the belly while in flight. Once inside, Centra Spike agents would plug in laptops into the airplane's power and could simultaneously track four frequencies. This time, the manhunt for Escobar was being led by Col. Hugo Martinez, who did not intend to let Escobar get away, and who operated with ruthless efficiency, aided by Centra Spike's intelligence. During the operation, a rivalry developed between Centra Spike, and a CIA intelligence unit named Majestic Eagle. Both were doing the same thing in Colombia, except Centra Spike was doing a better job, at a much lower cost. When the CIA took credit for Centra Spike's work, the Army became furious and a competition was arranged between the two units. Tracking dummy targets over Medellin, Centra Spike managed to pinpoint their locations within 200 meters, while Majestic Eagle came no closer than four miles. It was settled, and Majestic Eagle withdrew from the operation. Centra Spike was withdrawn in 1993 for a temporary assignment in Somalia to aid US special forces there, but resumed the hunt later in the year. By November 1993, the noose was tightening around Escobar, and Centra Spike managed to track him down to a suburb of Medellin called Los Olivos. On December 2, 1993, with help from Centra Spike and a mobile Colombian surveillance team, Escobar's hideout was pinpointed, and Colombian police moved in. Escobar was shot as he was trying to escape from the roof of his house. The manhunt was over.
Some of ISA's most recent deployments was in 1993 in Somalia. ISA was allegedly co-operating with Task Force Ranger, and was responsible for tracking down Somali warlord Mohammed Farah Adid, through electronic surveillance and Somalian informants. [end excerpt]
* "A Top-secret Electronic Tracking Unit Rejoins The Hunt" (2000-11-03, articles.philly.com) [archive.is/3u5Nt] [begin excerpt]: For the previous three years, Jacoby had secretly worked from a locked-down section on the windowless fifth floor of the bunkerlike U.S. Embassy in Bogota, where few people beyond the ambassador and the CIA station chief knew exactly who he was or what he did. In fact, Steve Jacoby wasn't even his real name. It was one of four identities he could assume at any moment, each supported by passports and credit cards. Changing into each one was like slipping on a new pair of shoes.
Jacoby ran a covert operation for one of the most classified units in the U.S. Army, a highly specialized cadre of communications experts that had gone by a variety of cover names over the years. It had been called Torn Victory, Cemetery Wind, Capacity Gear and Robin Court. Lately, it was "Centra Spike." [...]
Jacoby was a career soldier and a new kind of spy. With the end of the Cold War, a profusion of small-scale, specialized American military operations were being launched in exotic places by small units of unconventional soldiers dispatched on short notice. America's newest enemies were not only regional powers and dictators and their armies, but also terrorists, crime bosses and drug traffickers.
Military commanders who once focused on enemy troop maneuvers and missile throw weights now also needed more timely, localized and specific information: How many doors and windows does the target building have? What kind of weapons do the bodyguards carry? Where does the target eat dinner? Where did he sleep last night, and the night before?
Centra Spike had evolved to provide the kind of precise, real-time intelligence that big spy outfits like the CIA were not designed to collect. Over time, the unit's primary specialty had become finding people.
Techniques for eavesdropping on radio and telephone conversations from the air had been perfected during missions over El Salvador. There were other military and spy units that could do it; what distinguished Centra Spike was its accuracy. It was capable of pinpointing the origin of a call within seconds. [end excerpt]
from the Committee to
FREE 'EM ALL!
End the Drug War! Stop Jim Crow! Close the Torture Chambers! [solitarywatch.com] [facebook.com/incarceratedworkers] [supportprisonerresistance.noblogs.org] [denverabc.wordpress.com] [prisonlegalnews.org] [prisonbooks.info] [nycabc.wordpress.com] [powmedicaljustice.com] [sacprisonersupport.wordpress.com]. Become a Human Rights Pen Pal! [link].
* "Update on Mumia’s Hepatitis C Legal Case" (2016-06-25, from Bob Boyle, one of Mumia’s two attorneys fighting his case around health care, freemumia.com):
On August 23, 2015, over a year ago, Mumia filed a motion for an injunction to require that the Pennsylvania DOC provide him with the cure for Hepatitis C. Evidence presented at a hearing in December 2015 showed that the disease is causing extreme suffering for Mumia. His blood work is abnormal, his liver is deteriorating. He has a skin condition that causes constant itching, and he suffers from side effects of medication used to alleviate some of the symptoms.
There has been no ruling from the Court despite the fact that it is fully briefed. We have updated the court with more recent medical records that show MAJ’s current condition. We hope the court rules soon. Either way, the court rules there will likely be an appeal to the United States Court of Appeal for the Third Circuit.
In the meantime, there has been much “motion practice” in the civil case from which the injunction motion stems. The defendants (DOC officials) have filed motions to dismiss. We (the plaintiff) have filed an amended complaint as well as a motion to add Department of Corrections chief John Wetzel and Dr. Paul Noel as defendants. Once we prevail on the motions to dismiss, we will be in the “discovery” phase and able to get documents and take the depositions of the defendants and others.
In other words: no matter what happens with the injunction motion, the case continues and we can continue to seek necessary medical care.
* "Still Fighting for the Hep C Cure, Water Crisis at SCI Mahanoy, and New Litigation" (2016-08-29, Campaign to Bring Mumia Home, bringmumiahome.com): The movement to Free Mumia is awaiting a ruling by District Court Judge Robert Mariani on whether or not the PA Department of Corrections (DOC) is bound, by law, to administer the known Hepatitis C cure to Mumia. This important ruling will set a precedent for thousands of prisoners in Pennsylvania suffering with Hepatitis C, a disease that destroys the liver.
As of this writing, Mumia is once again experiencing itching all over his body as well as diarrhea. We suspect, but cannot confirm, that the diarrhea is linked to the severe contamination of the prison’s water supply, which began two weeks ago. Prisoners at SCI Mahanoy, the prison that houses Mumia, have reported that water coming out of all water sources is dark and emits a foul odor.
Mumia’s itching is a symptom of his ongoing skin problem, a condition disproportionally seen in black patients with active Hep C.
In general, Mumia’s health has waxed and waned over the last months, which is customary with patients with Hep C. However, Mumia’s disease process is chronic and active. This means that even if the symptoms of Hep C are not immediately visible, the liver is still being damaged silently.
According to all of the medical specialists who testified in Mumia’s health hearing in December 2015, there is a 60% likelihood that Mumia has serious liver damage.
Despite these findings, for the last year, instead of administering the Hep C cure to Mumia, the prison infirmary has been giving him a legion of topical medications including light therapy. The topical treatments suppress his skin condition temporarily, but have harmful side effect. For example, recently, Mumia experienced a first-degree burn on his right arm near the elbow. Prison doctors believe that the burn was caused by the combination of the new skin medication, Otezla, they administered to him, the light therapy he has been getting three times a week, and his exposure to sunlight during yard.
There are also new developments in Mumia’s conviction case. On August 8, 2016, Judith Ritter and Christina Swarns filed a petition based on the June 2016 U.S. Supreme Court decision in Williams v. Commonwealth. This important ruling determined that a judge can not fairly adjudicate an appeal of a case for which he/she has previously authorized a conviction, as a DA, for example. In this case, the high court ruled that Chief Justice of the PA Supreme Court, Ronald Castille, should have recused himself from Williams’s appellate review because he had
previously authorized the Williams death sentence as the Philadelphia district attorney.
In Mumia’s case, the same judge, Ronald Castille, heard Mumia’s appeal to the PA Supreme Court in 1998 despite a petition requesting his recusal by Mumia’s attorneys. Castille had been assistant DA during Mumia’s original trial and DA during Mumia’s first appeal.
On the international front: the French support group, Collectif Français Liberon Mumia, is organizing a meeting in September with members of the European Parliament to discuss Mumia’s health crisis and that of the approximately 10 thousand PA prisoners with Hep C. This follows the visit with Mumia last year of Patrick Le Hyaric, a member of the European Parliament and vice-chair of the European United Left-Nordic Green Left Group. Le Hyaric has collected 108 signatures in support of Mumia from members of the European Parliament representing 16 countries and including many French deputies and senators. Bob Boyle, Mumia’s attorney, and Nyle Forte, a young minister and Ph.D. candidate in religion at Princeton University, will join that delegation in September.
Note: Minor correction: it looks like, according to Pam Africa, the diarrhea preceded the water problem and may well be another side effect of the horrible medication Mumia is being given.
* "Court denies Mumia Abu Jamal's request for immediate treatment for Hep C" (2016-08-31, from The Campaign To Bring Mumia Home, bringmumiahome.com):
In a perplexing decision published today, August 31, 2016, District Court Judge Robert D. Mariani denied the request presented by Mumia's attorneys last August 2015, that the court order the PA Department of Correction (DOC) to immediately treat Mumia, who is suffering from chronic and active Hepatitis C, with the existing cure for that disease
The judge denied the suit on a technicality: that Mumia's health suit failed to name the DOC's Hepatitis C Committee, which according to the judge is the entity responsible for taking action in these matters. Really, Judge Mariani???
However, the judge's decision holds that the DOC has violated the 8th Amendment ban on cruel and unusual punishment in its failure to treat Mumia, and other prisoners, suffering with active Hepatitis C.
This is yet another example of the contortions and acrobatics that have long been employed by the courts to deny justice to Mumia, and thousands of other defendants.
Read Bob Boyle's longer summary of the judge's decision below.
More updates to follow on next steps. We will not stop until Mumia and the thousands of other prisoners with Hep C get the treatment they need.
* "FEDERAL COURT FINDS PENNSYLVANIA DOC HEPATITIS C PROTOCOL UNCONSTITUTIONAL BUT DENIES INJUNCTION" (2016-08-29, from Attorney Bob Boyle):
In mid-2015 Mumia Abu Jamal filed a lawsuit in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania requesting that the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections ("DOC") provide him with life-saving medication to cure his hepatitis C. /Abu-Jamal v. Kerestes, et al., /15 Civ. 0967. In a decision issued today, August 31, United States District Court Judge Robert D. Mariani denied Mumia's request for a preliminary injunction requested that medication while at the same
time finding that the DOC?s protocol for treating inmates with hepatitis C falls below constitutional standards. Judge Mariani denied the motion on the ground that the individuals currently being sued, the Warden of SCI Mahanoy, the Director of Health Care for the DOC, the Director of Health Care at SCI Mahanoy, and various medical staff would not have the authority to carry out any injunction.
In October 2015, the DOC adopted a protocol for treating inmates with hepatitis C. Under it, only inmates with advanced, decompensated cirrhosis with bleeding are given the hepatitis C anti-virals that have a 90-95% cure rate. As Judge Mariani found:
DOC's treatment protocol as currently adopted and implemented fails to provide treatment for hepatitis C through the administration of DAA [Direct-Acting Anti-Viral] medications such as Harvoni, Sovaldi and Viekira Pak until an inmate, including Plaintiff, has progressed to the stage of advanced compensated cirrhosis or early decompensated cirrhosis manifested by esophageal varices. As such, the interim Hepatitis C protocol presents a conscious disregard of a known risk of advanced cirrhosis and death by esophageal hemorrhages.
- The protocol as currently adopted and implemented presents deliberate indifference to the known risks which follow from untreated hepatitis C.
- the interim protocol prolongs the suffering of those who have been diagnosed with chronic Hepatitis C and allows the progression of the disease to accelerate so that it presents a greater threat of cirrhosis, hepatocellular carcinoma, and death of the inmate with such disease.
(Excerpted from Opinion).
In denying the injunction, Judge Mariani found that the members of the DOC's Hepatitis C committee (an entity whose existence was unknown until near the end of the December 2015 evidentiary hearing) would be the proper defendants. It should be noted that currently pending before the Court is a motion to add as a defendant DOC Director of Clinical Services Paul Noel, who is a member of the Hepatitis C committee, as a defendant. In addition, at no time during the litigation has the DOC argued that the defendants who had been named could not carry out an injunction.
While we are disappointed that Judge Mariani did not issue an injunction, it is important that the court recognized, and found, that the Pennsylvania DOC is denying individuals for whom they are responsible adequate health care as guaranteed by the Eighth Amendment of the United States Constitution. Irrespective of the injunction, the Pennsylvania DOC can choose to comply with the Constitution and provide life-saving drugs to Mumia Abu-Jamal and to all who suffer from hepatitis C.
Free Mumia Abu-Jamal Coalition, NYC
P.O. Box 16, College Station, NY, NY 10030
212-330-8029, www.FreeMumia.com, info@FreeMumia.com
* "Mumia Denied Treatment for Hepatitis-C... But Judge Decries State’s Protocol for Hep-C Inmates" (2016-09-04, Labor Action Committee):
A federal court has denied innocent political prisoner and former Black Panther Mumia Abu-Jamal the life-saving medicine that could cure his Hepatitis-C. Based on a technicality--that Mumia didn’t file the suit against a PA state agency that didn’t even exist at the original time of filing over one year ago--this much-delayed ruling was “disappointing” in the words of Mumia’s lawyers, to say the least.
However, US District Court Judge Robert Mariani also declared that Pennsylvania’s protocol for treatment of its prisoners for Hepatitis-C is unconstitutional, and could prolong the suffering of its nearly 6,000 prisoners with Hep-C. “While we are disappointed the court did not grant the injunction at this time, its holding that incarcerated patients with hepatitis C are entitled to treatment with the breakthrough medications that cure hepatitis C and that the DOC’s current protocol violates the Eighth Amendment sets a powerful precedent for Mr. Abu-Jamal, the more than 5,400 prisoners with chronic hepatitis C in Pennsylvania, and tens of thousands incarcerated with untreated hepatitis C across the country,” said Bret Grote of the Abolitionist Law Center. The Abolitionist Law Center is handling the medical treatment aspects of Mumia’s case (abolitionistlawcenter.org).
Mumia’s Lawyers Will Pursue This Case -
“We won everything but the injunction we sought, and will be moving expeditiously to bring additional defendants before the court so Mr. Abu-Jamal can receive the treatment he is entitled to under the U.S. Constitution,” said Grote. The “additional defendants” referred to are the recently established Pennsylvania DOC’s Hepatitis Treatment Committee, which is now in charge of dealing with PA’s many prisoners with Hep-C, a mere 30 or so of whom have been treated thus far.
Mumia was quoted on Democracy Now: “It’s a good beginning that a federal judge recognizes that what the commonwealth is doing, and has been doing for years, is not only unjust, but not right, unconstitutional, a violation of fundamental fairness and the human right to life. So, it’s a beginning. It’s a good beginning. And we want a good ending.”
Mumia’s Medical Condition -
Mumia’s Hep-C disease is chronic and active. The disease, contracted from a blood transfusion in 1981 after he was shot by a cop, and first diagnosed in 2012, has been causing extreme suffering for over a year, including diabetic shock, anemia, rapid weight loss, and an extreme skin condition causing constant itching. Symptoms have fluctuated up and down, but according to medical specialists who testified at a hearing on his medical condition in December 2015, Mumia likely already has serious liver damage.
While receiving symptomatic treatments with mixed results, Mumia has been denied the definitive cure for Hep-C on the outrageous grounds that he is “not sick enough.” In order to be “sick enough” to satisfy the DOC, your veins have to be about to burst, and death is almost at your door. But Hep-C is a nearly always fatal disease if left untreated. At any stage of this disease, you are sick enough to be looking at an early death.
In reality, the state’s reason for this outrageous lack of treatment is the cure’s excessive cost. Owned by (but not developed by) Gilead Sciences, the 95 percent successful cure is priced at $1,000 per pill, or about $56,000 to $84,000 for a full course of treatment!
But the cost of production is not what this is about. The same pill costs about $100 in Egypt and $10 in India, and Gilead still makes money! Big Pharma’s drive for huge profits, and the out-of-control privatized state of the US medical/pharmaceutical system is behind this. But that is no excuse! All prisoners with Hep-C must be treated with the available cure at once!
The Labor Action Committee (LAC) joined with Act-Up and others to protest Gilead’s inflated prices and Big Pharma generally in 2015. And the LAC insists that Mumia is innocent, and should be freed immediately! Information on a new appeal being filed by Mumia’s lawyers will be forthcoming presently.
* (2016-09-02, Ras Ceylon with Prisoners Of Conscience Committee):
Did you know current political prisoner Imam Jamil Abdullah Al Amin, formerly known as #HRapBrown, is a key/central figure in the #BlackLiberation Movement since the 1960s (Chairman of SNCC, drafted as Minister of Justice of Black Panther Party).
He became an exemplary Muslim leader of the African Islamic tradition in the U.S. (head of North American Shura Council) and was the heir apparent of Malcolm X / El Hajj Malik Shabazz.
For the past 50+years there have been numerous attempts by the state to neutralize him (multiple assassination attempts, "Rap Brown Act" law against him and a historic laundry list of trumped up charges).
He has always and continues to maintain his INNOCENCE in the frame up that he has been serving 16yrs to date for (extremely weak case, kangaroo court trial, confession of real killer to the crime he has been falsely convicted of). Finally there is the recent attempt of Execution by Medical Neglect-tho we had small victory through public pressure, he got the necessary attention and has been transferred.
It is now time to fully exonerate & free him once and for all!
Plz join the National Day of Action to #FreeImamJamilAlAmin #FreeHRapBrown Fri.Sept16th,2016!
#FreeEmAll National Day of Action to Exonerate & Free Imam Jamil Al-Amin
In Oakland at the Oakland Islamic Community Center
Sponsored by the Imam Jamil Action Network (IJAN) [imamjamilactionnetwork.org]
articles recommended by the
SAN PABLO BAY ECOLOGICAL PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION
Campaigns, info, and more [SanPabloBayEPA.blogspot.com]. Science [discardstudies.com]. [blog.savesfbay.org]
* "Is California Ready For The Grizzly Bear, Again?" (2015-11-17, kvpr.org) [archive.is/xckRe]
* "Effort underway to protect 856-acre forest in Angwin" (2016-09-05, napavalleyregister.com) [archive.is/7EEo1]
* "Little wildlife refuge a big idea in Sausalito" (2016-08-06, sfchronicle.com) [archive.is/mLZ8w]
* "Bulldozers helping the environment in Napa's western hills" (2016-09-05, napavalleyregister.com) [archive.is/5zknD]
* "Humans Have Pushed Oceans to Their Absolute Limit, Warns Report; Oceans protected us from worst effects of climate change by absorbing most extra heat produced by human activity, report finds, but they can't take anymore—and will soon release that excess heat back into the atmosphere" (2016-09-06, commondreams.org) [archive.is/ZxkG9]
SAN PABLO BAY EPA: Health and the Human Ecology
Monopolists enforce a regime that does not recognize the natural right to health and life. Info [detoxproject.org].
* "Linking Alzheimer's to Pollution, Study Finds 'Abundant' Toxic Nanoparticles in Human Brains; Toxic magnetic particles suspected of link to Alzheimer's disease discovered in brains of people living in heavily polluted areas" (2016-09-06, commondreams.org) [archive.is/NLkva]
* "Grocery Manufacturer’s Association Modus Operandi In Defeating GMO-Labeling" (2016-09-07, by Catherine Frompovich) [archive.is/CK1IC]
* "Antibacterial soap ingredients unsafe and not effective - FDA" (2016-09-02, rt.com) [archive.is/6OSCU]
articles recommended by the
NO NUKES! campaign
[StopNuclearDeath.blogspot.com] [nuclear-news.net] [nukeresister.org] [nukefree.org]
* "Spherical tokamaks could provide path to limitless fusion energy" (2016-08-26, DOE/PRINCETON PLASMA PHYSICS LABORATORY, ppl.gov) [archive.is/vbNgl]
* "Russia Unique in Being Able to Use Fast Breeder Reactors in Nuclear Industry" (2016-08-23, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/I6CF5]: According to chief designer of the Fast Neutron Reactors Department in Rosatom's Afrikantov Experimental Design Bureau for Mechanical Engineering, Russia is the only country able to introduce fast breeder reactors into the nuclear industry.
Russia is the only country able to introduce fast breeder reactors into the nuclear industry, Boris Vasiliev, chief designer of the Fast Neutron Reactors Department in Rosatom's Afrikantov Experimental Design Bureau for Mechanical Engineering (OKBM Afrikantov) said.
"Currently, Russia is the only country in the world able to introduce fast neutron reactors into the nuclear power industry. This is because only in Russia have studies of all stages of BN technologies been completed.
"I must mention the initiative by Russian nuclear experts to develop leading fast breeder reactors under a project named Proryv [Breakthrough]. The main aim of the next stage is to create the pilot and demonstration reactor [called] BREST-300.
"If it works successfully, it will give us an additional opportunity to develop components of fast breeder reactors," Vasiliev told RIA Novosti in an interview.
Fast breeders use a liquid metal heat-transfer agent as a coolant. Fast neutron reactors significantly minimize the radioactive waste produced and expand the range of fuel used at nuclear power plants.
Only a few countries possess fast neutron reactor technology, with Russia leading in this field. Such reactors are believed to be able to significantly improve the safety of the nuclear power industry as well as making it more competitive.
In 2015, Russia launched a controlled nuclear fission at Beloyarsk NPP using a BN-800 fast breeder reactor.
Photo caption: Fast breeders use a liquid metal heat-transfer agent as a coolant. Fast neutron reactors significantly minimize the radioactive waste produced and expand the range of fuel used at nuclear power plants.
ANIMAL RIGHTS: Save the Whales!
Killing our fellow dolphins is just business as usual in capitalism!
* "Japan's Notorious Dolphin Hunt Is Where the World's Aquariums Shop" (2016-09-06, by byPeter Singer, Jordan Sosnowski, via latimes.com) [archive.is/8blQ3]
UNITED STATES FASCISM WATCH
Documenting the process of fascism and for whom it benefits. [UnitedStatesFascism.blogspot.com] [exposefacts.org]
* "Database Reveals U.S. as Financial House of Horrors Since Repeal of Glass-Steagall Act" (2016-09-06, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/68GQm]
* "Acquire Spectra, Creating 'Pipeline Enemy #1' ; Merger 'would only enhance the power of the oil and gas industry to manipulate the energy marketplace and encourage the continued use of fracking,' says Wenonah Hauter" (2016-09-06, commondreams.org) [archive.is/doEUw]
* "Proposed Enbridge-Spectra Energy Merger is Bad News for Consumers and a Clean Energy Future; Statement of Wenonah Hauter, Executive Director, Food & Water Watch and Author of Frackopoly" (2016-09-06, fwwatch.org) [archive.is/VmGEn]
USA FASCISM: Dominionism & the "Prosperity Gospel"
* "The Genesis of Judeo-Christian Anti-Woman Views: Women and the Bible" (retrieved 2016-09-08, by Dr. Ronny West, from cybercollege.com) [archive.is/wtPTY] [begin excerpt]: Although the Bible includes great wisdom and has been a positive source of guidance throughout the centuries, it also has passages that have been responsible for the subjugation and degradation of women.
Over the centuries these Biblical views have been absorbed into the fabric of our culture as nothing less than "The word of God." Consider the impact of the following sample of Bible verses.
You may find the following Bible verses hard to believe even though fundamentalist Christians claim they are inspired by God and everything in the Bible is true for all time and must be taken literally. (Keep in mind that Bible translations differ.)
1. In the Bible's book of Deuteronomy it says that if a man marries a woman and then decides that he hates her, he can claim she wasn't a virgin when they married. At that point her father must prove she was a virgin. (How is not explained.) If he can't, then the girl is to be stoned to death at her father's doorstep.
2. If you see a pretty woman among your captives and would like her for a wife, then bring her home and "go in unto her." Later, if you decide you don't like her, you can simply "let her go." (Deuteronomy)
3. If a betrothed virgin is raped in the city and doesn't cry out loud enough, then "the men of the city shall stone her to death." (Deuteronomy)
4. In the book of Esther the king apparently decrees a sex contest among young virgin women to see who can best please him. (There is debate on how.) He eventually chooses Esther. However, since women are viewed as inherently dirty, Esther must be "purified" for twelve months before she can be made queen. (Esther)
5. Paul points out in New Testament Romans that "the natural use" of women is to provide men with sex. (Romans) [...]
We've only listed a dozen Bible quotes of this type, but there are many more.
Would we be wrong in assuming that even Bible literalists wouldn't want these verses read to their children in Bible School? Plus, what parent would want their children reading Bible verses comparing the size of men's penises to donkey genitals and their sperm flow to that of horses? Books are commonly banned from school libraries for much less.
Most Old Testament law dates back centuries to Jewish tribal law and would be considered not only immoral but illegal today. At the same time, fundamentalist, Bible-carrying Christians claim they are the for-all-time, inviolable Word of God.
Denouncing a scriptural tradition that sees women as both corrupt and corrupting must be the operative principle of a religious system that quotes Jesus as saying, "I came that they might have life, and have it abundantly." (John 10:10) [end excerpt]
USA FASCISM: Military State
* "Six ways to fix the Army's culture" (2016-09-06, warontherocks.com) [archive.is/oHGLq]
* "Electric Boat gets $300 million Virginia-class submarine contract" (206-08-30, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/SLbPJ] [begin excerpt]: General Dynamics Electric Boat has been awarded a $300 million U.S. Navy contract for various work on the fleet of Virginia-class submarines.
The cost-plus-fixed-fee contract covers lead yard services, development studies and design efforts for the class.
Lead yard services will involve maintaining, updating and supporting the Virginia class design and related drawings and data for each boat, including technology insertion, throughout its construction and post shakedown availability period. [end excerpt]
* "Four companies receive LCS maintenance and sustainment contracts" (2016-08-30, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/sHHbX] [begin excerpt]: BAE Systems Southeast Shipyards, General Dynamics NASSCO, Epsilon Systems Solutions and Lockheed Martin have been awarded U.S. Navy contracts for maintenance and sustainment of the Freedom-class Littoral Combat Ship fleet.
BAE and General Dynamics' contracts contain five ordering periods and have a cumulative ceiling value of about $741 million.
The deal with Epsilon and Lockheed Martin also has five ordering periods and has a cumulative ceiling value of about $209 million.
The firm-fixed-price, indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity, multiple award contracts for BAE and GenDyn will involve Chief of Naval Operations availabilities, continuous maintenance, emergent maintenance, preventative/planned maintenance and facilities maintenance/corrosion control in and outside the United States.
The firm-fixed price, indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity, multiple award contracts to Epsilon and Lockheed Martin will provide preventative/planned maintenance and facilities maintenance/corrosion control within the continental United States. [end excerpt]
* "Raytheon, U.S. Navy improve anti-mine sonar; Raytheon and the U.S. Navy have enhanced the imaging capabilities of the AN/AQS-20A anti-mine sonar system" (2016-08-31, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/UQvQ7]
* "Sikorksy gets $158 million Black Hawk contract modification" (2016-08-31, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/pSree]
* "Boeing receives $52 million for F/A-18 aircraft doors" (2016-09-01, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/7QsX5]
* "Progeny Systems receives $66 million MK 54 torpedo contract" (2016-09-01, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/dNHXT]
* "Northrop Grumman gets $375 million G/ATOR radar contract" (2016-09-01, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/5lHxO]
* "Raytheon/Lockheed team gets $48 million foreign Javelin missile contract" (2016-09-01, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/oI3S0]
* "With operational acceptance complete, Western Range is ready for launch" (2016-09-01, by Michael Peterson, 30th Space Wing Public Affairs Vandenberg AFB CA) [archive.is/LmS3U] [begin excerpt]: The Western Range is back in the launch business following an operational acceptance decision held by the Operations Acceptance Board at Vandenberg Air Force Base, Aug. 18, 2016. "It is exciting," said Col. Jennifer Grant, 30th Operations Group commander and OAB chair. "The team has invested a lot of time, energy and copious amounts of planning, coordination, and vested interest in ensuring a successful outcome."
Much of the coordination and teamwork was required due to the large scale of the project that led to the range downtime, which included the relocation of key range systems to a different building. The relocation required over 1,100 critical components of the operational range systems to be disconnected and reconfigured, many of which were decades old and had not been powered down in years - adding a layer of complexity to the move.
"Given the age and fragility of the range equipment, we have been fortunate to not have any major breaks or failures," said Grant.
"I attribute that to planning and risk reduction measures employed by the government and contractor. Many of us expected there to be more complications and challenges than we encountered. The range equipment relocation, and its associated downtime, have been the number one priority for us during this last year. [end excerpt]
Photo caption: The Western Range is back in the launch business following an operational acceptance decision held by the Operations Acceptance Board at Vandenberg Air Force Base, Aug. 18, 2016. The OAB - consisting of Grant, RGNext, Space and Missile Systems Center, 30th Communication Squadron, 2nd Range Operations Squadron, 30th Range Management Squadron, and 30th Space Wing safety - made the final call on range readiness after a downtime due to range systems relocation. Image courtesy USAF and Michael Peterson.
All the stories they could tell...
* "The Deep Space Network" (2016-09-01, NASA.gov) [archive.is/BKuoR] [begin excerpt]: NASA's Deep Space Network (DSN) is a world-wide network of large antennas and communications facilities. Components of this network are located in the U.S., Spain and Australia. Its primary function is to support interplanetary space missions. Secondary applications include radio and radar astronomy observations and support for certain low-orbiting satellite missions. While this network is operated by the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), there are other deep space networks that are operated by Europe, Russia, China, India and Japan.
DSN's three deep-space communications facilities are placed about 120 degrees apart around the Earth, allowing continuous observations of almost any area of space as the Earth rotates. The domestic facility is the Goldstone Deep Space Communications Complex near Barstow, California. The Spanish facility is near Madrid. And, the Australian complex is near Canberra. These facilities are located in places that shield against radio frequency interference, in other words, isolated mountainous areas.
The DSN is essential to solar system exploration spacecraft, because it provides two-way communications links between Earth and planetary probes as they travel to planets such as Mars Jupiter and Saturn. Not only are data and images received via the DSN, but commands are sent from the network to individual spacecraft in order to implement course corrections and to control functions onboard the vehicles, even as they travel hundreds of millions of km from home. [end excerpt]
* "Reading Secret USAF Bomber, ISR Plans; From Quartz and UCAV to today's black programs" (2012-12-03, aviationweek.com) [archive.is/heNDa]
* "Why Is AREA 51 Building A Mysterious New Hangar And What Will It Hide?" (2014-08-08, foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com) [archive.is/aLvwa] [begin excerpt]:
In the latest satellite imagery released to the public, dated June 30th (partial) and June 2nd (full), Area 51 continues to undergo changes, and one of them is significant in nature. This new construction project is of especially high interest, not just because of its physical size, but also because of its very peculiar location and timing.
Area 51 (aka Groom Lake, aka The Ranch, aka Dreamland, aka Watertown Airstrip) and construction go hand-in-hand. The secretive super-base is like the Federal Government's Winchester Mystery House. The improvements have not stopped at the base since its founding, which occurred the better part of a century ago.
[...] In 2007, the biggest addition in some time was added to the base's southwest corner, hidden partially behind a giant earth berm. This fairly massive and modern hangar was fitted-out with extensive office space and a pair of 175 foot doors, one on each side of the structure. The facility was clearly purpose-built for something, and that something, or some things, were not small in size. The width of the doors alone added to the mounting evidence that what was contained within was an asset, or assets, that were strategic in nature.
[...] Rumors were rampant around 2006-2007 time-frame regarding a "restricted" proof of concept demonstrator contract that was being fought over by various American aerospace manufacturers, one that seemed oriented around a large airframe with a lot of future revenue potential. Northrop Grumman was said to have won this contract, along with at least $2B to build and test the resulting aircraft [archive.is/9lsMr]. This could have been what we now call the RQ-180 or it could have been a Next Generation Bomber technology demonstrator, or one aircraft that would perform both tasks. None of this is surprising for those who follow clandestine programs, as the USAF's 'black budget' has exploded over the last decade and half, and in 2010 alone it was over $15B [archive.is/mex68].
For reference, the USAF could buy 375 F-16 Block 50s with the their yearly black budget alone. [...]
With this background in mind, we now return to the new developments at Area 51. A new engine test cell located towards the northern part of the base appears to have been finalized since the last images were available, and there are some other small improvements that are noticeable around the sprawling installation, but the massive hangar being constructed far south of the aforementioned hangar built in 2007 is quite literally, a big deal.
[...] One plausible explanation for this new facility is that this is Lockheed and Boeing's base of operations for their LRS-B prototype, which would make sense as the hangar built in 2007 is assumed to be a Northrop Grumman facility. Alternatively, this new hangar is large enough to house both competing prototypes as well. Under such circumstances, the early stages of a flyoff, if one is indeed planned, may take place at Area 51 and not Edwards AFB.
This would be a little puzzling considering that when I was last at Edwards AFB, just last March, the whole 'East Base' complex, where the B-2 and the Airborne Laser were housed, is being converted for a massive 'new program' that will be coming out of the black fairly soon. Even the B-52s and B-1s that called East Base home for decades have now been moved to the main Edwards ramp in preparation for this new program, which is almost without any doubt the LRS-B. Still, by running the program during the very early flight phases out of Area 51, both teams can be free from media visibility and sensitive issues can be worked out before moving to a much higher profile location like Edwards AFB.
The remoteness of this new installation at Area 51, far south of any other hangars or non-movement area infrastructure, lends itself to housing something very sensitive in nature. Possibly, something having to do with time sensitive strike [archive.is/IzEdG]. A vehicle that can travel at hypersonic speeds is a possibility, although I am the last one you would call an 'Aurora' chaser [archive.is/m9ArV]. Yet the demand is clearly there (maybe not the dollars though) for an aircraft that can strike anywhere in a hemisphere in a matter of minutes, and such a capability does fit into the Obama's Administration's push toward low-intensity 'drone' wars where highly focused strikes on targets of opportunity takes the place of 'boots on the ground' and direct action via manned assets.
Seeing as such a hypersonic requirement is of a quick-strike nature, not of a surveillance one, the development of such a vehicle may be relevant. In the past, hypersonic airplanes have been theorized, if not obsessed over, as taking the place of the SR-71 Blackbird, yet the ability for an aircraft to persist for long periods of time near or over enemy territory [archive.is/nyaI5] and propagating sensor data has far surpassed the need for 'snapshot in time' reconnaissance, such as what was provided by the retired SR-71 Blackbird and is currently provided by satellites [archive.is/Nbu8r].
Lockheed has hinted at such a capability with their SR-72 concept [archive.is/9jvLK], and the design keeps showing up in their corporate imagery, so it is possibly that fielding even a sub-scale demonstrator of a similar design is in the works. Such an aircraft will utilize an exotic propulsion system and may also leverage a proprietary fuel that is very volatile. Such a situation would also support basing a craft like this in an area far away from other aircraft and sensitive infrastructure. [...]
Keeping even a tiny force of these aircraft (which is all we could probably afford) outside the realm of confirmed existence would be logical and we already saw such a precedent with the Stealth Blackhawks used on the Usama Bin Laden raid. Those helicopters are all but confirmed to have been operating out of Area 51 before the raid was executed, and their numbers are said to be very small. There is no reason to believe that a large transport with a similar mission would be treated any differently. The big difference is that a stealth helicopter is much easier to conceal on-base than a giant stealth transport.
Although stealth transports have long been an area of great interest for the DoD, nothing has been confirmed as to their existence, either in the past or potentially in the future, beyond elaborate wind-tunnel models. On the other hand, we do know that a new bomber is on the horizon, and thus that hangar has a higher probability of belonging to it than any other potential project. [end excerpt]
USA FASCISM: Two Party Dictatorship
* "Obama Owns Up to Libya Blunder Again, Doesn't Mention Clinton's Role, Again; On Wednesday, President Barack Obama reiterated that the intervention in Libya was probably the worst mistake of his presidency. Nevertheless, for one reason or another, the president again failed to mention who the architect of that operation was. Hint: She's running for president" (2016-06-02, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/V5TLb]
* "FBI Notes: Hillary Staffers Smash Burner Phones With Hammers, Destroy Evidence; The FBI released notes from its investigation into Hillary Clinton’s unauthorized private email server on Friday right before a long holiday weekend limiting its impact on the media narrative" (2016-09-03, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/YRnqr]
* "Hillary Clinton Says Chelsea Erased Servers During Postpartum Depression" (2016-09-01, intrendtoday.com) [archive.is/Cl13a]
* "The Next President of the United States and the Economy" (2016-09-07, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/4DVp5] [begin excerpt]: Wall Street was determined that a Democratic Socialist like Senator Bernie Sanders would never occupy the Oval Office. In hindsight, Wall Street may come to seriously regret that it and a full blown conspiracy at the Democratic National Committee [archive.is/amhxp] blocked the ascendancy of one of the most popular and trusted presidential candidates in a generation.
Trust and confidence are essential ingredients for a healthy stock market and U.S. economy. According to the Bureau of Economic Analysis, U.S. consumers spent over $12 trillion last year “on all kinds of stuff, including new cars, furniture, clothes, groceries, beauty products, electronics, visits to doctors and dentists, and tickets to sporting events and movies.” The total U.S. GDP for 2015 was $17.947 trillion. That makes the consumer the Decider in Chief of what happens in the U.S. The consumer’s willingness to spend represented 66.86 percent of total GDP last year.
Consumers are also workers. Sanders wanted to give them a bigger piece of the corporate profits pie that would likewise bolster the U.S. economy. Consumers are also taxpayers. Sanders wanted to help consumers by making the super wealthy pay their fair share in taxes. Consumers are also voters – Sanders wanted to give them a President who represented the people, not special interests.
But dark forces prevailed and “the people” have ended up with two presidential candidates with the lowest approval ratings in memory. According to a Washington Post-ABC News Poll taken between August 24-28, 2016 [archive.is/cULtq], 56 percent of Americans have an unfavorable opinion of Hillary Clinton. The Washington Post notes for good measure that this is “the worst image Clinton has had in her quarter-century in national public life.” Donald Trump weighs in with an unfavorable opinion by 63 percent of Americans. If you look at just registered voters, according to the poll, Clinton and Trump are running almost neck and neck with an unfavorable rating of 59 percent for Clinton and 60 percent for Trump.
Unlike Sanders, who has enjoyed a scandal-free quarter century in the House and Senate, both Clinton and Trump have citizens walking on pins and needles waiting for the next scandal to unfold and bring further disgrace to the country. [end excerpt]
A fictional narrative demonizing a "socialist" president, so that as the people's quality of life gets worse, it will be believed that the situation was caused by "socialism", as represented by the Democrat Party -
* (2015-12-09, facebook.com/iamdelorean) [archive.is/sX4WV]: Next time someone says OBAMA ruined this country, show them this graphic.
* (2016-09-05, facebook.com/groups/GreenPartyUS) [archive.is/y3V9l]:
Why does the Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) have rules designed to block alternative-party candidates from debating?
Because of Jesse Ventura's 1998 independent campaign in Minnesota.
Ventura was dismissed as "not viable" with a small percentage in the polls until he was allow to participate in a gubernatorial debate. His poll numbers soared and he went on to win the election.
When the CPD (controlled by Dem & GOP leaders) saw what happened in Minnesota, it raised the requirement to 15% in the polls in 2000 so that Gore and Bush wouldn't have to face Nader and Buchanan in the debates. (Perot participated in 1992 with only 7%.)
The CPD's rules aren't meant to block nonviable candidates. They're meant to stop alternative-party candidates from becoming viable.
* "US Neo-Nazi Leader Says Donald Trump ‘the Real Deal’ " (2015-12-09, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/AKdny]
* "Trump-backing pastor busted by CNN host for lying about military service and attending college" (2016-09-03, rawstory.com) [archive.is/bEYfJ]
* "Fear of a Taco Truck Nation; 'Yes, the future is one of a taco truck on every corner, a soccer game in every bar and Spanglish in every home. That is going to happen,' writes Matt Sedillo" (2016-09-02, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/jJSSr]
* "Latino Trump Supporter Marco Gutierrez Warns Of Dark Future With ‘Taco Trucks On Every Corner’ 'My culture is a very dominant culture' " (2016-09-01, huffingtonpost.com) [archive.is/a2WEA]
* "Latinos for Trump founder warns of ‘taco trucks on every corner’ " (2016-09-01, politico.com) [archive.is/tdhK4]
* "The national economic implications of a taco truck on every corner" (2016-09-02, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/P68QX]
* "Despite court ruling, North Carolina right wingers try to suppress voting" (2016-09-06, peoplesworld.org) [archive.is/NVzLT]
USA FASCISM: State Media Watch
Documenting propaganda issued by the monopolist media and members of the state security regime that uphold the economic dictatorship, imperialist wars, and the "New Jim Crow" regime [mediamatters.org]
* (2016-09-01) [archive.is/W9XVp]:
So my work associate pointed this out today and I wanted to share.
This is the same paper, same date but from different markets. One geared to help sway the Austin Liberals and the other from a clearly more conservative market. Read the difference in headlines. Crazy!!!
Photo Credit: @bradleyguidry via Instagram
Location: Austin Executive Airport (KEDC)
In partnership with public-sector arbitration panels, economic heavyweights are personally intervening to censor all news media outlets using precedent-setting decisions mandated into public law until further review, as per the process of the USA Judicial System.
* "What Melania Trump’s Lawsuit Against Webster Tarpley Means For Alternative Media" (2016-09-05, by Kurt Nimmo) [archive.is/DUo3Q]:
As reported last week [archive.is/VAuA7] the wife of Donald Trump has initiated a lawsuit against author, blogger, and radio talk show host Webster Tarpley and the British newspaper The Daily Mail.
A $75,000 defamation suit was filed after Tarpley and the Mail posted a story claiming Melania Trump worked for an escort service prior to marrying the billionaire presidential candidate. Trump claims the story references “unfounded rumors and innuendo.”
Webster Tarpley responded to the lawsuit by claiming his “editors, writers and contributors did not generate said rumors” and admitted the story “was not diligent in fact-checking or maintaining a healthy distance between innuendo and fact.”
Tarpley retracted the story and formally apologized. However, this did not stop Trump from going ahead with a lawsuit.
“Melania Trump’s lawsuit against me is without merit. Mrs. Trump is a public figure actively engaged in the Trump for president campaign. We are confident that Mrs. Trump will not be able to meet her high burden of proving the statements published about her on my website were defamatory in any way. Her lawsuit is a blatant attempt to intimidate not only me but journalists of all stripes into remaining silent with regard to public figures. This lawsuit is a direct affront to First Amendment principles and free speech in our democratic society,” Tarpley wrote on September 1.
Prior to the $115 million verdict against Gawker in the Hulk Hogan sex tape case it was rare for public figures to sue unless the target of the lawsuit had money. The Gawker verdict demonstrated it is now feasible to use a lawsuit as a political weapon to take down a media organization.
Hulk Hogan, aka Terry Gene Bollea, was not alone in his lawsuit against Gawker. He had a secret financial backer—Peter Thiel, a co-founder of PayPal. Gawker outed the Silicon Valley billionaire as gay in 2007. “It’s less about revenge and more about specific deterrence,” Thiel told The New York Times [archive.is/zoRvV]. “I saw Gawker pioneer a unique and incredibly damaging way of getting attention by bullying people even when there was no connection with the public interest.”
In 1973 Pittsburgh Press Co. v. Human Rel. Comm’n [archive.is/9cjS8] established that the subject of a defamation lawsuit cannot argue innocence based on the fact he or she republished information from another source. Large corporate news organizations with significant financial resources at risk carefully check and double-check sources in order to avoid lawsuits. This is not always the case with small and more vulnerable news operations.
Many alternative media news stories are based on single sources and extrapolation, leaving journalists and news sites open to retaliatory lawsuits like the one launched by Melania Trump. She is not merely interested in a retraction and apology. Trump intends to financially harm and possible destroy not only The Daily Mail but also the career of Webster Tarpley. The Daily Mail, a newspaper with a circulation over 1.5 million, has successfully weathered libel lawsuits in the past from a number of people, including the actress Diana Rigg, the musician Elton John, the author J. K. Rowling, and others. It is not likely the Trump lawsuit, if successful, will put The Daily Mail out of business. Conversely Gawker, a relatively large operation with an appreciable Alexa ranking backed by the media corporation Univision Communications, filed bankruptcy and ceased operations after a Florida jury awarded Hogan $140 million.
Small and independent alternative news media operations are now at risk. The Gawker case and the outcome of the Trump lawsuit have undoubtedly set a precedent. The Trump lawsuit reveals powerful and wealthy people now have the incentive and legal standing to target small fish like Webster Tarpley and other journalists and researchers, not to claim any sort of financial settlement but to shut them down.
USA FASCISM: Artificial Poverty and Starvation
* "The numbers are staggering: US is ‘world leader’ in child poverty" (2015-04-15, rawstory.com) [archive.is/e5WSW]
* "Goodbye Middle Class: 51 Percent Of All American Workers Make Less Than 30,000 Dollars A Year" (2015-10-21, washingtonsblog.com) [archive.is/FJUh8]
WORLD FASCISM WATCH
Documenting the global economic dictatorship
* "TPP Would Make Climate Goals 'Nearly Impossible' to Reach: Report; Conflicts between environmentalists and trade advocates will become more frequent, the report warns—and more often than not, trade will win out" (2016-09-06, commondreams.org) [archive.is/YuFGs]
* "Why opposing free trade is opposing the world" (2016-08-05, sfchronicle.com) [archive.is/TO3eW], a pro-monopolist article extolling the virtues of economic dictatorship.
* "Dark side of Bill Gates’ philanthropy: 30,000 Indian girls were used as guinea pigs to test cervical cancer vaccine" (2016-02-20, by Rohan Desai, via thevoiceofnation.com) [archive.is/ZAQRD]
* "Coca-Cola Accused of Funding Colombian Death Squad; Coca-Cola was accused of hiring hitmen from a prominent paramilitary group between 1990 and 2002 to kill at least 10 trade union leaders" (2016-09-01, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/4wWFr]
"Human Capital", a phrase that is lost in the political and economic discussion.
WORLD FASCISM WATCH: #OPDeathEaters
A study of the personal ideologies and social practices of those who benefit from the global capitalist regime. [WorldFascists.blogspot.com]
* "The Billionaire Pedophile Who Could Bring Down Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton; Trump’s supporters have long wondered whether he’d use billionaire sicko Jeffrey Epstein as ammo against the Clintons—until a lurid new lawsuit accused The Donald of raping one of Epstein’s girls himself" (2016-06-30, thedailybeast.com) [archive.is/U50XM]
* "Why The New Child Rape Case Filed Against Donald Trump Should Not Be Ignored" (2016-06-29, huffingtonpost.com) [archive.is/BqaUv]
* "Complaint for rape, sexual misconduct, criminal sexual acts, sexual abuse, forcible touching, assault, battery, intentional and reckless infliction of emotional distress, duress, false imprisonment, and defamation" (Filed 2016-06-20, The United States District Court, Southern District of New York) (.pdf) [is.gd/SXl88E]
* " ‘Private hell’: Dozens of students sexually assaulted at RI boarding school – report" (2016-09-03, rt.com) [archive.is/Q7qwj] [begin excerpt]: “The picture that emerges from this investigation is profoundly disturbing,” attorney Martin F. Murphy wrote in the preface to the 390-page report (.pdf) [is.gd/cofbCy] documenting the abuse which was released on Thursday. [...]
Some of St. George’s perpetrators went on to work at other schools and settings with children, according to the Boston Globe.
In February, the Globe reported that “White is being investigated in North Carolina on allegations that he abused two teenager while a rector there in 1980s. Tefft, who is serving a prison term for child pornography, was also was also accused at two other schools in Connecticut and New York. Lydgate resigned from the Island School in Kauai in 2003 after students told school officials that he had made sexual advances.” [...]
In August, the school agreed to a financial settlement for 29 alumni, according to the Globe. Back in June, the current headmaster, Eric Peterson, announced he would not seek to renew his contract, after criticism he had not been responsive to the burgeoning sex scandal. [end excerpt]
Photo caption: Report: The most egregious case of abuse at St. George's School centers on Al Gibbs.
* "French Coca-Cola workers discover $56mn worth of cocaine in shipment" (2016-09-01, rt.com) [archive.is/zzUF7]
information collected by the
SOLANO PEACE, JUSTICE, AND FREEDOM COALITION
[SolanoPeaceJustice.blogspot.com], for justice, dignity and human rights in accordance with the 1966 International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (.pdf) [is.gd/TftqGs], and an end to the USA's endless wars, in harmony with Principle 1 & 6 of International Law [archive.is/tmncz], the 5 protocols of the Convention on Conventional Weapons (CCW) [archive.is/LhUTj], and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights [archive.is/U1Ota].
* "Anti-Drone Activist Gets Charges Dismissed with 'Time Served' " (2016-08-29)
Last Week "SHUT DOWN CREECH" Anti-drone Protestor's Charges Dismissed after Defendant, Shirley Osgood, Convinces DA to Accept "Time Served" in a "Submittal" Agreement. No plea entered. No guilt found! After listening to Shirley's moving personal statement, Las Vegas Judge thanked Shirley for her "passion and commitment." Congratulations Shirley! (Full report below).
Shirley's was the first Las Vegas Trial stemming from this year's 2nd annual SHUT DOWN CREECH protest to stop drone warfare. This September 12, nineteen year old Mahaia Oliveira will also represent herself pro se, in Las Vegas, without an attorney.
WATCH Shirley, Mahaia and other activists putting their bodies on the line for justice in this 4 min. VIDEO from last April at Creech AFB. Note Mahaia's courageous action while "going limp" during her arrest @ 2:50 min [https://youtu.be/bSbt9bHd0Lw] (video by North Carolina college student and activist, Allison Stalberg).
Please join us in Nevada at the 3rd Annual SHUT DOWN CREECH: April 23 -29, 2017.
Photo caption: Shirley (in center with peace sign), and supporters (L-R) Robert Majors, Chris Nelson, Nancy Milton, Barry Binks and Dennis Duvall.
"Las Vegas Trial" (2016-08-25, by Shirley Osgood) -
This is a write-up of what was to be my trial after being arrested on April 1, 2016 for trespassing on federal property at Creech Air Force Base, in protest of drone warfare.
I arrived at the Las Vegas Airport on Wednesday afternoon, and was met by the amazing Catholic Worker, Robbie Majors, who drove me to my hotel where I continued obsessing over what I was going to do and say at my trial the next morning. Barry and Nancy, Occupy Beale AFB friends, arrived in the evening, and we had vegan dinner at Container Park. I went to bed hoping final inspiration would arrive in the night. Then Chris Nelson, another of my beautiful Occupy Beale AFB support friends, arrived at our room at 2AM after a late flight into Vegas, just to be support.
The four of us met for an early breakfast, and in came Dennis Duval from Prescott, AZ. We all headed down Fremont Street, and arrived at the Justice Court in time for a rally at 8:15. We were met there by Robbie Majors with his sign, “No One Wins an Arms Race”. We held our anti-drone banners, and at about 8:45, Robert, a press guy from Channel 8, arrived to video and interview.
We went up to the 8th floor and entered the courtroom, where a young woman with a Spanish/English interpreter was in process of getting a restraining order against a man. My wonderful support people sat with me and waited for my name to be called.
When called, I stepped forward, and quickly became aware that Judge Ann Zimmerman did not have me down for a trial, but simply to clarify what I was going to do about getting an attorney, since I had signed to release Attorney Chris Grasso. I was not scheduled for a trial at all. I stated that I had flown in expecting a trial, and the Judge said it was her fault it was not scheduled. She sent me to a small room in the back of the courtroom with the public defender, who explained to me that the prosecutor was offering me a “submittal”. She explained that it did not involve making any plea. My choices would be a $250 fine, or 30 hours of community service. If I chose the community service, I would be on probation until its completion. Luckily, Chris and Dennis entered and were allowed to stay at my request. They offered me some good ideas, which resulted in my asking the PD if I could request dismissal, based on “time served”, which was one day in the Las Vegas Jail. She said she didn’t think that would be accepted, but she would ask.
We all entered the courtroom, and the PD approached the bench with two men from the Prosecution. After a short chat, I was asked to come up, and was told that the Prosecution agreed to dismiss the charges with only the time served. There would be no fine, community service or probation. And I wasn’t even told that I had to “stay out of trouble”. I accepted, and asked if I could make a short statement. The Judge said yes, a couple of minutes.
My statement started with a description of the young boy, Omran Daqneesh, whose home was bombed in Aleppo, Syria. He was shown being placed in an ambulance, alone. He was covered with dust and blood. (The Judge nodded and said, “Yes, I saw it”). I continued to describe how he touched his bleeding forehead, looked at the blood on his hand, and wiped the blood on the ambulance seat. I stated how hard it is to get this picture out of your head, and went on to say that I had other pictures, of drone victims, stuck in my head. I described the young child with the top of his head blown off, surrounded by flowers, and the dead mother whose limp arm was draped around her small young child.
I went on to say that I was left with the choice of doing something, or doing nothing, and proceeded to describe a number of legal things that I had done to try to stop drone warfare. I talked about what was happening at Creech Air Force Base, and my reasons for doing direct action at Creech.
I closed my brief statement with a paragraph by Medea Benjamin, which I found in Marjorie Cohn’s book, Drones and Targeted Killing:
From Pakistan to Yemen to Gaza, drone warfare snuffs out the lives of innocent civilians with impunity and renders thousands more maimed psychologically, left homeless and without livelihoods. In the name of war on terror, drone warfare terrorizes entire populations and represents one of the greatest travesties of justice in our age.
After listening to my statement, Judge Zimmerman thanked me for my passion and commitment, and I was free to go. We sang a round of “Circle Round for Freedom” on the steps of the courthouse before leaving, and celebrated on Fremont Street. Feeling grateful to be free and leaving Las Vegas. Hoping that this day may have some small impact on stopping the drones, and bring some peace to the world.
* "IRS bullies Pastors for Peace, Cuba solidarity activists - petition" (2016-09-02, peoplesworld.org) [archive.is/dyUbf]
The International Action Center calls on the Obama administration and its Internal Revenue Service to halt its attack on the long-standing civil rights and solidarity group, Interreligious Foundation for Community Organization. “We are all IFCO,” stated International Action Center co-director Teresa Gutierrez. “An injury to one is an injury to all.”
IFCO has learned that the IRS official action removing its tax exempt status is imminent. This is the time to rally and act against this politically motivated attack. The National Network on Cuba; International Committee for Peace, Justice and Dignity; U.S. Women & Cuba Collaboration, plus international Cuba solidarity organizations, are speaking out.
Right now IFCO asks — and the International Action Center urges — that you sign and share a petition (bit.ly/saveifco) and make a comment, too. Call, fax or meet with your elected representatives. For more information, go to IFCO’s Facebook page. See the one-minute video at ifconews.org. Broadcast news about this struggle widely through all social media.
Although most well known for the Pastors for Peace Friendshipment Caravans to Cuba, and for administering the U.S. application process for scholarships to Cuba’s Latin American School of Medicine, IFCO assists many small educational and charitable projects through fiscal sponsorships. Examples include Haitian Women for Haitian Refugees, Healthcare-NOW!, Jericho Amnesty Movement, and other political prisoner organizations like Free Mumia Abu-Jamal Coalition (NYC), Family and Friends of Dr. Mutulu Shakur and the People’s Environmental Center in New Orleans.
Founded in 1967 by progressive religious leaders and activists, IFCO is one of the oldest faith-based civil rights organizations and the first ecumenical foundation founded by and for people of color. It is a voice and a tool for austerity-devastated communities in the U.S. at a time when racist, anti-immigrant, Islamophobic and anti-LGBTQ rhetoric and violence are openly encouraged.
The IRS investigation and audit began in 2011 just months after the death of IFCO founder the Rev. Lucius Walker. It was sparked by pro-Zionist legislators’ false accusations against the humanitarian Viva Palestina caravans, organized to aid the besieged and blockaded Palestinians in Gaza.
In 1992 Rev. Walker initiated just such humanitarian aid caravans to Cuba in a direct challenge to the unprecedented illegal, immoral and devastating economic, commercial and financial blockade imposed by the United States on its much smaller but sovereign socialist neighbor. The caravan traveled to the Mexican border, where participants walked across carrying aid materials in November 1992. Border guards ripped the aid, even Bibles, from their hands.
When their iconic little yellow school bus was seized and impounded at the Texas-Mexican border in 1993, the caravanistas began a hunger strike that won its release. But IFCO was never charged or prosecuted for its relentless, consistent and principled challenges to the blockade.
Now the U.S. has formally restored diplomatic relations with Cuba, recognizing that its half-century isolation strategy has failed. But, ironically, under these sunny skies, with relaxed travel restrictions and regular commercial flights to Cuban destinations beginning Aug. 31, the IRS seeks to deal an economic blow to IFCO. As the IAC stresses: We are not distracted. We are watching. We will act.
* "Honduran consulate in Chicago re-designed for 6 month anniversary of Berta's assassination" (2016-09-01, hondurasresists.blogspot.com) [archive.is/k0lxK]:
* "Democrats and their chilling apathy towards war" (by Caitlin Johnstone ) [archive.is/Yoo5m]
* "Obama Unlikely to Vow No First Use of Nuclear Weapons" (2016-09-05, nytimes.com) [archive.is/iaK50]
* "Clinton: US should use 'military response' to fight cyberattacks from Russia and China; Clinton said the US should 'lead the world in setting the rules in cyberspace' " (2016-09-01, ibtimes.co.uk) [archive.is/ghbok]
* "Clinton Promises Military Force Against Hackers in Most Hawkish Speech Yet; Speaking before a group of veterans on Wednesday, Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton gave perhaps her most hawkish speech to date, with sharp words villainizing Russia and promises to respond to cyberattacks with military force" (2016-08-31, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/dCqlJ]
* "The Truth About Syria: A Manufactured War Against An Independent Country; The people of the world should ask Western leaders and their allies: Why are you prolonging this war? Why do you continue funding and enabling the terrorists? Isn’t five years of civil war enough? Is overthrowing the Syrian government really worth so much suffering and death?" (2016-05-26, by Caleb T. Maupin, mintpressnews.com) [archive.is/SW2Sp]
* "CIA, Pentagon Pressuring UN To Act On Alleged Use Of Chemical Weapons By Syria; 'Washington’s allegations are an attempt to replay a lost campaign in the region by threatening large-scale combat actions' " (2016-09-01, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/fy6eh]
* "Pentagon cloaks ignorance in calling Russia’s killing of top ISIS leader ‘joke’– Russian Defense Min" (2016-09-02, rt.com) [archive.is/kGcQh]
* "US journalist sets goal of providing coverage of Ukraine war in war torn region" (2016-09-05, from US journalist Patrick Lancaster, jackpineradicals.com) [archive.is/MhOal]:
Help fund 2 months Sep/Oct of independent journalism in Donetsk DPR controlled territory reporting on the Ukraine War. I show you what the Main stream Media will not. [https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/2-months-journalism-in-dpr-covering-ukraine-war-russia]
- "Video report – 2 months of independent journalism on the Ukraine War in Donetsk DPR" [youtube.com/watch?v=mH-Yly_YqBg]
- "Loss of life & many homes burn after Ukraine shells Yasinovataya" (2016-08-31)
* "Odessans Demand US Embassy in Moscow to Investigate 2nd May Massacre" (2016-09-02, odessa.web2ua.com, translated by Ollie Richardson & Angelina Siard) [archive.is/zGZCl]
* "The Case for the Breakup of the Ukraine" (2016-09-01, by The Saker) [archive.is/00zVS] [begin excerpt]:
Somalia on the EU -
It is impossible to estimate how many people are still living in the Ukraine today, but most experts believe that the figure is somewhere between 35-40 million people. The vast majority of them are struggling to make a living and their future looks very, very bleak. Remember Dmitri Orlov’s five stages of collapse? They are:
Stage 1: Financial collapse. Faith in “business as usual” is lost.
Stage 2: Commercial collapse. Faith that “the market shall provide” is lost.
Stage 3: Political collapse. Faith that “the government will take care of you” is lost.
Stage 4: Social collapse. Faith that “your people will take care of you” is lost.
Stage 5: Cultural collapse. Faith in “the goodness of humanity” is lost.
Even a cursory look at what is happening in the Ukraine clearly shows that Stage 5 has already been reached, quite a while ago, really. What comes next is basically Somalia. But a big, really big, Somalia, with millions of assault rifles circulating in the population, with major industrial sites capable of triggering another Chernobyl-like disaster, with various death-squads (private or semi-official) freely roaming around the country and imposing their rule with armored vehicles and heavy machine guns. So if the always Euro-centric West could afford to ignore a Somalia in Somalia there is no way it can ignore a Somalia on the EU and NATO border. To put it simply: there is absolutely nothing standing between the Somalia in the Ukraine and the EU. Nothing. Once the inevitable, and this time catastrophic, final collapse happens the resulting explosion will simple take the path of least resistance.
To the east we have Russia, with her superbly capable state security agencies, the newly created National Guard, large military formations deployed along the borders and, most importantly, an excellent understanding of what is taking place in the Ukraine. To the west we have basically Conchita Wurst’s Europe, unable to formulate any policy at all (since all orders come from Uncle Sam), with parade-type military forces mostly hallucinating about the “Russian threat”, with security services that can’t even cope with the current flow of immigrants and, most importantly, with a ruling class and population that has no clue or understanding whatsoever of what is happening in the Ukraine.
Russia has another huge advantage: she already controls Crimea and Novorussia and she has already developed the skillset needed to deal with millions of refugees. Yup, while western leaders were busy blaming Russia for everything and making absolutely crazy promises to the Ukrainians, Russia has already had to absorb about 1.5 million refugees who did not only have to be carefully vetted for Nazi saboteurs and terrorists, but then also intelligently relocated. The immigration service did a pretty good job here too by, for example, relocating medical doctors to regions where they were needed (including Chechnia). [...]
The reality is that even Crimea has presented Russia with major challenges. After 25 years of total neglect, Crimea basically needs to completely rebuilt most of its infrastructure. The Kremlin has poured billions of Rubles into numerous and large modernization programs, including an immensely expensive but vitally needed bridge over the Kerch strait, and she will continue to rebuilt Crimea in spite of the immense costs involved. Down the road, of course, Crimea will end up being very wealthy, courtesy of an immense tourist potential, the presence of a much expanded Black Sea fleet and because of its strategic location. But for the foreseeable future, Crimea will remain a major burden which Russia will struggle to deal with.
The situation in the Donbass is even bleaker. If Crimean was neglected, the Donbass has been almost totally destroyed. Right now the Russians are paying the pensions of the local population because the Ukronazis have stolen them, in direct violation of the Minsk Agreements. Russia is also alone in supporting the Novorussian republics with humanitarian, medical, technical, administrative and military programs. And while the Novorussians have done an amazing job rebuilding much of Donetsk and a few other cities, most of what lies within artillery range of the Ukronazi forces still lies in ruins and the economy is more or less at a standstill. This will not change until peace truly returns to the region. [...]
Furthermore, polls show that most Russians are categorically opposed to a full reintegration of the entire Ukraine into Russia. Who could blame them? They are not only acutely aware that the Ukraine has turned into one bloody hell of a mess, but that an entire generation of Ukrainians has now been terminally brainwashed with russophobic hatred. And, frankly, Russia has no use for Nazis of any kind, even if they are fellow Slavs or even if they are basically the very same nation as the Russian one.
So even if tomorrow Petro Poroshenko and his gang decided to invite the Russians to come in an fix this bloody mess, the Russians would decline (so much for the warnings about a Russian invasion!). Oh sure, there are a lot of Ukrainians who kid themselves and think that “the Russians will come and fix this”, but this is a pipe-dream: the Russians ain’t coming. At most, Russia will let the DNR/LNR get back the territories which belonged to their regions and Mariupol might be liberated. But that’s about it. And even if by some miracle the Novorussian tanks end up in Kiev, I don’t see them staying there for very long because the Kremlin fully understands that if they grab it, they own it and they have to fix it. Eventually Russia will, of course, simply be forced absorb the Donbass and make it a part of Russia, mostly because there is no way the Donbass will ever go back to the Ukraine again, but even this process will take time. By then, with both Crimea and the Donbass under her responsibility, Russia will simply be maxed out, economically unable to absorb any further territories (sorry, Balts [archive.is/6n8f4], no Russian invasion for you either!). [end excerpt]
* "Rushing For A Confrontation, U.S. Fascist Commander Threatens War With Russia And Syria" (2016-08-22, novorossia.today) [is.gd/CEhLgM]
* "Immunity for US troops in Afghanistan reveals colonial nature of Security Pact" (2013-11-21, rt.com) [archive.is/XwIQU]
* "Navy covered up Afghan sex slave problem to punish Marine – documents" (2016-09-01, rt.com) [archive.is/sxBAs]
* " 'We heard them screaming': US troops told to ignore Afghan soldiers abusing boys – report" (2015-09-21, rt.com) [archive.is/OruO1]
* "U.S. Soldiers Told to Ignore Sexual Abuse of Boys by Afghan Allies" (2015-09-20, nytimes.com) [archive.is/jsZpP]
* "Remember LCpl Greg Buckley Jr. & FOB Delhi's Murdered Marines" [archive.is/1HmTG]
* "Hillary Clinton: The New American Exceptionalism or Nazism?" (2016-09-02, by Ruslan Ostashko, translated by Ollie Richardson & Angelina Siard) [archive.is/mSkpF] [begin excerpt]:
Why have five-minutes of hatred towards the US on TV, when on TV you can simply twist selected quotes from Hillary Clinton’s speech?
Here everything is so beautiful that I don’t even know how to comment on it without facepalming. The floor is to the patient:
“The United States is an exceptional nation. I believe we are still Lincoln’s last, best hope of Earth. We’re still Reagan’s shining city on a hill. We’re still Robert Kennedy’s great, unselfish, compassionate country.” [...] “And it’s not just that we have the greatest military or that our economy is larger than any on Earth. It’s also the strength of our values, the strength of the American people. […] And part of what makes America an exceptional nation, is that we are also an indispensable nation.”
Let’s do some fact checking. For a start it is worth noting that Hillary Clinton is lying when she says that the US has the largest economy on the planet. In terms of the parity in purchasing power, the US economy is already behind China’s economy. And about the greatness of the US army, I would not give such complementary assessments. The greatness of an army, by the way, is not determined by its ability to suppress the indigenous people with “Tomahawks” from a safe distance or shoot at weddings with drones. [end excerpt]
* " 'My friends were afraid of me': What 80 million unexploded US bombs did to Laos" (2016-09-06, edition.cnn.com) [archive.is/S74Mm]
Weapons for a New World Order
* "CAPTURING FLYING INSECTS: A MACHINE LEARNING APPROACH TO TARGETING" (2016-09-06, warontherocks.com) [archive.is/X1Hln]
* "Drone Speedboats To Be Tested In Massive Military Drill 'Unmanned Warrior 2016' " (2016-09-07, Nicholas West) [archive.is/a2nhS]
* " ‘Floating alien with teleportation abilities’ caught on camera in Peru" (2016-09-02, rt.com) [archive.is/gZVj0], showing a weaponized hologram, known popularly as "Project Blue Beam".
* " 'Helix-to-Tube', a simple strategy to synthesize covalent organic nanotubes ~ Making mechanically strong nanotubes with light" (2016-08, itbm.nagoya-u.ac.jp) [archive.is/BK9KK] [begin excerpt]: Organic nanotubes (ONTs) are tubular nanostructures composed of organic molecules that have unique properties and have found various applications, such as electro-conductive materials and organic photovoltaics. A group of scientists at Nagoya University have developed a simple and effective method for the formation of robust covalent ONTs from simple molecules. This method is expected to be useful in generating a range of nanotube-based materials with desirable properties. [...]
"Although it took us about a year to synthesize the covalent ONT, it took another one and a half year to determine the structure of the nanotube," says Maeda. "I was extremely excited when I first saw the transmission electron microscopy (TEM) images, which indicated that we had actually made the covalent ONT that we were expecting," she continues (Figure 6).
Figure 6. TEM images of the bundle structures of covalent ONT
"We envisage that ongoing advances in the "helix-to-tube" method may lead to the development of various ONT-based materials including electro-conductive materials and luminescent materials," says Ito. "We are currently carrying out work on the "helix-to-tube" methodology and we hope to synthesize covalent ONTs with interesting properties for various applications."
Journal Information: This article "Construction of Covalent Organic Nanotubes by Light-induced Cross-linking of Diacetylene-based Helical Polymers" by Kaho Maeda, Liu Hong, Taishi Nishihara, Yusuke Nakanishi, Yuhei Miyauchi, Ryo Kitaura, Naoki Ousaka, Eiji Yashima, Hideto Ito and Kenichiro Itami is published online in the Journal of American Chemical Society. [end excerpt]
* "Columbia Engineering Team Discovers New Optical Material that Offers Unprecedented Control of Light and Thermal Radiation" (2016-08-30, engineering.columbia.edu) [archive.is/ninoF], illustration caption: Prototype of a smart window. The picture shows a layer of phase-transition material SmNiO3 placed on top of a Columbia Engineering School logo. The transparency of the material can be controlled by electron doping under ambient conditions. Pristine SmNiO3 is opaque; partial phase-transition makes the material translucent, and complete phase-transition makes it transparent.
* "Graphene key to two-dimensional semiconductor with extraordinary properties" (2016-08-29, news.psu.edu) [archive.is/p7Dmo], illustration caption: An illustration of the Migration Enhance Encapsulated Growth (MEEG) process to stabilize novel wide-bandgap two-dimensional nitride semiconductors that are not naturally occurring. MEEG is facilitated by defects in the graphene lattice that act as pathways for intercalation. When the gallium and nitrogen atoms meet at the graphene/SiC interface, they chemically react to form two-dimensional gallium nitride.
* "FALTECH GPS LAUNCHES COMPACT IRIDIUM REPEATER SYSTEM" (2016-08-26, gps-repeaters.com) [is.gd/LqCs0H]: FalTech will launch a brand new compact Iridium repeater system at ESS 2016, the latest in the highly-successful range of repeaters from Foxcom Inc.
Iridium two-way satellite telephones are used all over the world. They generally can’t operate indoors, because the structure of the building blocks ingress and egress of the signal. When it isn’t practical or safe to leave the building to use a satphone, a repeater system overcomes the barrier put up by the building and allows satellite communications at distance of up to 3Km from the outdoor antenna location.
An outdoor unit (ODU) is installed on the roof, along with a pair of antennas – one for transmit and one for receive. The RF signal is converted to an optical signal by the ODU and transmitted along single-mode fibres up to 3Km inside (or even underground).
At the far end an indoor unit (IDU) converts the optical signal back to RF and makes it available inside the building via a pair of ceiling-mounted antennas. GPS L1 and GLONASS signals are also passed through the repeater to the interior space. This means that satellite navigation devices will always receive a signal when indoors, eliminating any satellite acquisition delay when leaving the building.
Iridium repeaters are used in a wide range of situations, including underground civil defence/military bunkers, oil rigs/ships, large buildings and any other underground facility where satellite communications are required.
However, it isn’t always necessary for the outdoor and indoor antennas to be a long distance apart. For example, when used in an aircraft hangar the ODU and IDU may be just a few metres apart.
Phil Whitting, Managing Director of FalTech GPS commented: “This is where the new coaxial repeater system from Foxcom is really useful, as it merges the ODU and IDU into one combined unit and removing the optical fibre interfaces. The single IP65 repeater unit is roof-mounted and comes with two indoor antennas and two outdoor antennas, with four 10 metre coaxial cables to connect it all together. That’s all there is to it!”
Phil Whitting continues: “This is a great development in the Foxcom Iridium portfolio, it’s what amounts to a “Lite” version that is smaller and cheaper than its optical fibre stablemates. Nonetheless, it provides indoor coverage where it previously wasn’t available and is simple to install. Reliability is superb – backed up by a three year warranty from the manufacturers.”
The coaxial Iridium repeater was originally conceived to provide indoor coverage for the aviation MRO (maintenance, repair and overhaul) sector. However, it lends itself perfectly to any other situation where the indoor and outdoor antennas can be fairly close together.
FalTech will be displaying a coaxial Iridium repeater system on stand R74 at ESS 2016.
Illustration caption: Iridium repeater with two outdoor and two indoor antennas, no optical fibre interfaces means it can be used when the distance from outdoor to indoor antennas is quite short, compared to the optical version of the Iridium repeater that can extend the outdoor signal up to 3Km underground
USA Homeland's resident nations:
Nations exist alongside the Federal [archive.is/VXoPR], and State governance [archive.is/Cz2uF]. Demographic maps: 2000 [archive.is/nXHXz], 2010 [archive.is/nKbSA], religion [archive.is/XArBS]. The New Afrikan nation, and the nation of Nueva Aztlan, each have their own separate sections on this news page.
Sovereign nations of the "Indian Country", and of traditional lodges.
Map [archive.is/s4FYb]; News [indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com] [bsnorrell.blogspot.com]
* "Tribal Dakota Pipeline Resistance the Start of Something Bigger; This pipeline has sparked a prairie fire of united Native American resistance not seen since Wounded Knee, and a return of the Great Sioux Nation" (2016-09-03, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/ShO88]
* "Tribes Secure Limited Victory with Partial Halt on Dakota Pipeline; Emergency request for a restraining order was filed in response to the holiday weekend desecration of sacred sites" (2016-09-06, commondreams.org) [archive.is/rfY7T]
* (2016-09-03, facebook.com/RedWarriorCamp) [archive.is/ck1H1]: DAPL private security force unloaded vicious dogs to push the water protectors off the land. The dogs were blindly lunging at everyone, even DAPL construction workers! Pepper spray has been deployed by DAPL security force (while the ND State Patrol helicopter hovers overhead) to end the nonviolent direct action at the construction site, just off Hwy 1806, just 1 mile north of Red Warrior Camp.
* (2016-09-06, facebook.com/MortonCountySD) [archive.is/7Cxn4]: This picture shows a private security officer pinned between his vehicle and 50 protestors Saturday afternoon. You can see a wooden post that someone was trying to jab him with to the left and a man standing on the back of the pickup with a metal post. A fellow security officer and others came to his aid to hold back the group of protestors.
* "Did the Dakota Access Pipeline Company Deliberately Destroy Sacred Sioux Burial Sites?" (2016-09-06, democracynow.org) [is.gd/50UPFf]
* "SACRED PLACES DESTROYED YESTERDAY BY DAKOTA ACCESS" (2016-09-04, facebook.com/WalkingTheRedRoad) [archive.is/WIERQ]: Sacred places containing ancient burial sites, places of prayer and other significant cultural artifacts of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe were destroyed Saturday by Energy Transfer Partners, Tribal Chairman Dave Archambault II said.
On Friday, the Tribe filed court documents identifying the area as home to significant Native artifacts and sacred sites.
“This demolition is devastating,” Archambault said. “These grounds are the resting places of our ancestors. The ancient cairns and stone prayer rings are spiritually priceless. In one day, our sacred land has become hollow ground.”
Construction crews removed topsoil across an area about 150 feet wide stretching for two miles, northwest of the confluence of the Cannon Ball and Missouri Rivers.
“I surveyed this land, and we confirmed multiple graves and specific prayer sites,” said Tim Mentz the Standing Rock Sioux’s former historic preservation officer. “Portions, and possibly complete sites, have been taken out entirely.”
Thousands of people from across the United States have joined with the Standing Rock Sioux to protest Energy Transfers’ building of the 1,200-mile Dakota Access Pipeline. If built, a half-million barrels of crude oil would pass through daily.
The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe have filed suit in U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia to stop the construction. The tribe was not properly consulted before the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers fast-tracked development approval.
A decision, in that case, is expected by September 9.
“We’re days away from getting a resolution on the legal issue, and they came in on a holiday weekend and destroyed the site,” said Jay Hasselman, Attorney for the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe. “What they have done is outrageous.”
* "Deadstream Media Shows Bias In Reporting On Violence At Dakota Access Pipeline Protest" (2016-09-06, by Derrick Broze) [archive.is/qXf3x]
* " ‘And Then the Dogs Came’: Dakota Access Gets Violent, Destroys Graves, Sacred Sites" (2016-09-06, indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com) [archive.is/l2F4q]
* "Standing Rock Sioux Chairman Calls for Investigation of Dog Attacks on Native American Protesters" (2016-09-06, democracynow.org) [is.gd/RCqi8J]
* "Canine Expert Decries "Egregious" & "Horrific" Dog Attacks on Native Americans Defending Burial Site" (2016-09-06, democracynow.org) [is.gd/ULhoIF]
* (2016-09-05, facebook.com/ImVotingForJillStein2016) [archive.is/6xOP4]:
* "New Investigation Names Wall Street Banks Behind $3.8 Billion Dakota Access Pipeline" (2016-09-06, democracynow.org) [archive.is/6yCS4] [begin excerpt]: Over 1,000 people representing more than 100 tribes are gathered along the Cannonball River by the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation to resist the construction of the $3.8 billion Dakota Access pipeline. It’s been described as the largest unification of Native American tribes in decades. On September 3, the Dakota Access pipeline company attacked Native Americans with dogs and pepper spray as they resisted the construction of the $3.8 billion pipeline on a sacred tribal burial site. Saturday was also the first day of a two-week call for actions against the financial institutions that are bankrolling the $3.8 billion Dakota Access pipeline project. A new investigation has revealed that more than two dozen major banks and financial institutions are helping finance the Dakota Access pipeline. The investigation was published by the research outlet LittleSis. It details how Bank of America, HSBC, UBS, Goldman Sachs, Wells Fargo, JPMorgan Chase and other financial institutions have, combined, extended a $3.75 billion credit line to Energy Transfer Partners, the parent company of Dakota Access. For more, we speak with the author of this investigation, Hugh MacMillan, a senior researcher with Food & Water Watch.
Well, Saturday was also the first day of a two-week call for actions against the financial institutions that are bankrolling the $3.8 billion Dakota Access pipeline project. A new investigation has revealed more than two dozen major banks and financial institutions are helping finance the Dakota Access pipeline, the investigation published by the research outlet LittleSis. It details how Bank of America, HSBC, UBS, Goldman Sachs, Wells Fargo, JPMorgan Chase and other financial institutions have, combined, extended a $3.75 billion credit line to Energy Transfer Partners, the parent company of Dakota Access. [end excerpt]
* "Oil pipeline break is under Yellowstone River" (2015-01-20, billingsgazette.com) [archive.is/q20cg]
* "Green Party Candidates Charged for Activism at Dakota Pipeline; The arrest warrants issued are for criminal trespass and criminal mischief for spray painting construction equipment" (2016-09-07, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/0f09b]
* (2016-09-06, facebook.com) [archive.is/d3Oqm]: Jill Stein and Ajamu Baraka at Dakota protests. Where's Hillary Clinton?
* (2016-08-25) [archive.is/8gOHh]: Standing in solidarity with Standing Rock and the struggle to stop the building of the Dakota Access Pipeline. #noDAPL
USA Homeland's resident nations:
American Nation, including the State Sovereignty campaigns, and Dominionist Campaigns. [tenthamendmentcenter.com]
* "White Nationalism Twitter Users Growing Faster Than ISIS: Report; 'There is substantial and growing evidence that white nationalism is enjoying a meaningful resurgence within the United States,' the report said" (2016-09-03, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/yEHTk]: Twitter users who identify themselves as white nationalists and neo-nazis have been growing faster than supporters of the Islamic State group, rising more than 600 percent in four years, according to a university study.
The study from The Program on Extremism at The George Washington University analyzed accounts from prominent white nationalist organizations such as the American Nazi Party and the Ku Klux Klan. It found that from 2012 to 2016 these accounts had a 600 percent increase in followers, now estimated to stand at around 22,000 up from around 3,500 in 2012.
“There is substantial and growing evidence that white nationalism is enjoying a meaningful resurgence within the United States,” the report said.
The study also found that people who follow white nationalist accounts were unsurprisingly “invested in Donald Trump’s presidential campaign.” White nationalist followers used Trump hashtags more than any other white nationalist related hashtag except for #whitegenocide.
White nationalist and neo-nazi groups were also active in “trolling” other accounts and tweets with racist remarks and flooding “social media with negative content.” Many white nationalists and neo-nazi groups have not been shut down and use Twitter relatively free of censorship.
The study also investigated Islamic State Group sympathizers, who have traditionally used twitter as their “preferred social platform.” American white nationalist organizations now “outperform ISIS in nearly every social metric, from follower counts to tweets per day.”
In an August crackdown against Islamic State Group sympathizers, the social media giant closed around 360,000 accounts because they believed that the accounts were advocating terrorism.
Despite the spike in followers on Twitter the report stated that, “white nationalists online do appear to inspire violence, a form of material participation, but not in a highly organized manner visible in open sources.”
Photo caption: An American neo-Nazi giving the Fascist salute during a rally in Wisconsin in 2011.
* " ‘Get him, baby!’ White supremacist runs over, kills black teen as girlfriend cheers" (2016-09-02, rt.com) [archive.is/KCgjZ]
Northbay Uprising FM Radio News is broadcast courtesy of 89.5 FM-KZCT [OzcatRadio.com]
On Ozcat Radio, tune-in online [is.gd/kJ1EUt] for:
- The Stranger News, broadcast Thursdays, 5 to 5:30pm, featuring latest news on science, technology, space, and cutting-edge research on the mind, world history, and entheogenics!
- The Northbay UpRising Morningshow, broadcast Tuesdays, 7 to 9am, with local news, and topics on Peace, the Ecology, Do-It-Yourself ideas, and Communitarianism!
- KBBF Weekly News, broadcast Tuesdays at 8:45pm, on the Northbay UpRising morningshow!
- The Ozcat Roundtable, a topical news program broadcast Wednesdays, 3 to 6pm, with hosts Billy I. (pictured), Jeremy, and the Nomad!