Tune in Thursdays 4 to 5pm (PST), at 89.5FM in the northeast San Pablo Bay Area, or online at [is.gd/kJ1EUt].
Hosted by Dr.G., Minister of Information of the Northbay MDS.
Be a Community Journalist with our Community Journalist's Notebook [link].
Send news & info to [NorthbayMDS@) gmail.com]!
Northbay Uprising News scripts [link].
Archived webpages at (archive.org) and at (archive.is) are available even if the original is taken down. News links are provided for educational purposes only, and do not constitute an endorsement of political tendencies, or, of foreign governments. Circumvent "Error 451" [archive.is/WOZXx] by using the proxy server at [webproxy.to] or, by using Tor Browser [is.gd/r18EVD].
A list of gatherings, workshops, and educational events in the greater Bay Area region
Candlelight Vigil for Mario Romero
Friday, September 2 at 7 to 9:30 pm
September 2, 2016 will mark the 4 year anniversary of Mario Romero's murder. This day will be a day of reflection as we remember the moments that make Mario so special to us as well sharing the memories that guide us in our journey for his justice.
We invite all who would like to stand with us as we honor the life of our loved.
we also invite all who would like to share their memories of Mario as well as those who have come to know us as family members in the struggle.
we invite all who are victims of police violence and those who are committed to the fight for police accountability.
We want this to be a time for us to connect with those who aspire a change in the right direction for our community and communities around the world that have been affected by police and the aftermath that tends to leaves feeling broken.
September 2, 2012 Mario Romero was murdered as he sat in front of his Vallejo home. He was blinded by a bright light ambused by Valleo Police officers Sean Kenney and Dustin Joseph. The fired 40 shots at Mario as he sat trapped inside of his cars seatbelt. 30 of the 40 bullets entered his body. 8 of those bullets were shot into Mario's hands. He was shot in his face , mouth, chest, wrist and under his arms as well. he was ciut from his seatbelt and his lifeless body was then handcuffed and taken from the scene of the crime.
a police issed training weapon was brought into the crime scen by Vallejo Police Corporal Stan Eng, this gun was planted inside of Mario's car By Vallejo Police officer Sean Kenney ,this gun only contained Kenney's fingerprints in Mario's blood. Stan Eng stole Mario's seatbelt from the scene of the crime.
Vallejo Police changed their story 5 times before eventually settling on a lie.
Claiming that Mario pointed a fake gun at them while shouting "I'm not going back to prison", the problem with this lie was Mario had never been to prison, was not in possesion of a gun and never left his car.(he was trapped inside of a knoted seatbelt)
Police admit to not identifying themselves and that Mario was not suspected of or in the process of committing a crime but claim they wanted to make contact with the men in the car because they were the only ones on the street. Police lied saying they were responding to a burglary call that had been placed 19 hours earlier although Vallejo Police did not respond to burglary calls in 2012. During the time that Police officers Dustin Joseph and Sean Kenney murdered Mario Romero , Sean Kenney was under investigation for the death of unarmed Anton Barrett who he had killed just months earlier. Sean Kenney went on to kill again, Killing unarmed Jeremiah Moore on the day that Mario was buried .
Mario's body was hidden for 30 days and his family denied the right to identify him.
District Attorney Don Dubain who has a history of concealing the truth in murder cases and intimidating pathologist in order to obtain prosectutions , allowed the investigation into Mario's murder to be botched. He failed to disclose that Sean Kenney had a cousin who worked inside of the Solano County District Attorney's office. He also refused important evidence and witness statements that would make a the investigation in to Mario's homicide a murder. Don Dubain knew that he would loose his relection attempts when deceptive action by attorney's under his command came to light. by botching the investigations into killing by Sean Kenney he would be able to call in a favor from Kenney's cousin O'bryan Kenney . A favor consisting of a ob with the San Francisco Da's Office.
Mario's family has lost so much in their quest for justice for their loved one. They have continued to remain strong in this fight not discouraged that justice for Mario Romero will come.
#Justice4MarioRomero #JusticeForMarioRomero #BlueLivesMurder #NoJusticeNoPeace #Jail4SeanKenney #Jail4DustinJoseph #JailKillerCopsNow #BLM #BlackLivesMatter
Stories are reviewed and provided by Northbay MDS Committees and Affiliates
BAY AREA SOLIDARITY
Updates on campaigns for Peace, Justice, & Freedom across the greater Bay Area, Norcal, and Socal
* Justice for COLBY Friday (facebook.com/JusticeforColbyFriday) [archive.is/vnk1r]
* (2016-08-31, Jabari Shaw) [archive.is/gLKLz]:
I was escorted off a plane in Dallas and searched for drugs and contraband.
So they say...
I get off the plane in Dallas and walk down a few terminals to my connecting flight. I checked in and the lady told me we would board in 45 minutes-so I sat down. Moment's later a undercover sat next to me flashed a badge and asked could we talk. I told him we were talking he asked for my boarding pass and I.d. Then asked routine questions about my trip then asked if I mind if he searched my baggage. I told him yes. He had the nerve to ask me why lol. Because I was ex-- rayed patted dawn and asked to remove everything from my pockets on the was in and I did not see the need to go threw an embarrassing prejudicial time consuming charade yet again. He replied " okay thanks " then handed me my paperwork along with his card and said have a nice flight.
I boarded the plane first having priority boarding but once the plane was loaded then a voice from the P.A. says "Jabari Shaw can you please step off the plane ?"
I walked out to find that undercover officer along with another plane clothes officer ( needless to say that they were both white ) with my luggage on the floor between the two of them and as I stepped out one of those Nazi German Sheppard's jumped in my face. Smell like he had lam and rice for super and a little of me for dessert.
They rambled threw my baggage and then went in for my carry on luggage. By this time I am ecstatic: complaining that they were only doing this because I am a Muslim and that they were the true terrorists. Then they asked if I had any drugs or large amount of money. That's when I became puzzled I thought that they were looking for a bomb: they were looking for the' bomb smh. I said you're racist every Black man in America sell drugs. ( I have been discriminated against so much I sometimes get my prodigious mixed up. ) They asked if I had or smoke weed. I told him that if he was insinuating that was trying to smuggle weed into Oakland he was a got damned fool. The laughter from the plane knocked the edge off a little.
Man we need to buy shares into the BLACK STAR AIRLINES.
or at least make friends with civil and human rights attorneys.
It took a couple days but I finally got my luggage lol. True story
* (2016-08-31, Jabari Shaw) [archive.is/uk1gt]:
The mission of the Universal Negro Improvement Association is to arouse the sleeping consciousness of the Negro every were to the point where we will, as one centered body , act for our own preservation. By lying the foundation for such we will be able to work towards a glorious realization of an emancipated race and a constructed nation.
Nationhood is the strongest security of any people and it is for that The UNIA & ACL strives for at this time.
ONE GOD. ONE AIM. ONE DESTINY.
* "Kaepernick Is Donating the First $1 Million of His Salary to Social Justice Organizations" (2016-09-02, usuncut.com) [archive.is/9YC75]
* "On ‘Liberty’ and Lies: U.S. Flag Also Symbolizes Anti-Black Terrorism; We are asked to pledge allegiance to a flag that also symbolizes genocide, racism and injustice" (2015-06-21, theroot.com) [archive.is/VviFx]
* "Colin Kaepernick protests anthem over treatment of minorities" (2016-08-27, espn.com) [archive.is/WVKbs]
* (2016-08-27, facebook.com/49erswebzone) [archive.is/wytPL]: Colin Kaepernick explained his stance on not standing for the National Anthem. What are your thoughts on the matter? [bit.ly/2bpHr86]
* "Colin Kaepernick Sits During National Anthem Before Packers vs. 49ers" (2016-08-27, bleacherreport.com) [archive.is/VoFaC]
* "#VeteransForKaepernick: 49ers Quarterback Finds Support Online" (2016-08-31, nbcnews.com) [archive.is/sVxQD]
* "Veterans everywhere are standing with Colin Kaepernick in a powerful show of support" (2016-08-31, usuncut.com) [archive.is/KJO7k]
* "Colin Kaepernick Shows That #BlackLivesMatter Even When His Career May Not; Speaking out was the right thing to do, even if as an athlete, Kaepernick was not in the best position to speak out" (2016-08-29, theroot.com) [archive.is/XACGV]
archive.is/INfdX], photo [archive.is/y6Cw0]
* "Colin Kaepernick Sports Fidel Castro and Malcolm X T-Shirt; The T-shirt featured photos from a 1960 meeting between the two leaders in Harlem, New York" (2016-08-02, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/ymC61]
* "NFL execs: Kaepernick is a 'traitor,' hated as much as Rae Carruth" (2016-08-31, msn.com) [archive.is/ondR4]
* "The Pentagon paid 14 NFL teams $5.4 million to 'salute troops' " (2015-05-12, businessinsider.com) [archive.is/jPbhJ]
* "Colin Kaepernick Blasted for Refusing to Stand for National Anthem Over ‘Oppression’ of Black People" (2016-08-26, ijr.com) [archive.is/JClaB]
* "Kaepernick’s Communist-Sympathizing Muslim Girlfriend Believed To Be Behind Protest" (2016-08-29, dailycaller.com) [archive.is/c6Caa]
* "Army Ranger Vet Tells Colin Kaepernick What He Should Be Doing Instead of Sitting Out Nat’l Anthem" (2016-08-26, ijr.com) [archive.is/jY0Lf]
* How many people died for the freedom of Kaepernick? [archive.is/IbHbN]
* "People are burning their Kaepernick jerseys in protest of his protest" (2016-08-28, sfgate.com) [archive.is/Hdu5H]
* "Jerry Rice on Colin Kaepernick: ‘All Lives Matter; Don’t Disrespect the Flag’ " (2016-08-30, theroot.com) [archive.is/9mCSU]
* "Jackie Robinson in 1972: ‘I Cannot Stand and Sing the Anthem; I Cannot Salute the Flag’ ; As fury around Colin Kaepernick's principled stance continues to rise, let's look back at Robinson, the barrier-breaking athlete and activist who wrote that he was a 'black man in a white world' " (2016-07-28, theroot.com) [archive.is/l6ld9]
* (2016-09-01, Shaun King) [archive.is/zXuIs]: THANK YOU to Seattle Seahawks Cornerback Jeremy Lane for joining Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid in their silent protest tonight. Deeply inspiring.
* (2016-09-02, Cassandra Grant) [archive.is/3sJ6e]: My sisters and I Stand with Kaepernick! @ The POA'S office in San Francisco, CA Justice 4Mario Woods coalition press conference.
SOLIDARITY WITH THE NEW AFRICAN NATION!
Black Power! Revive the Community! Defend the Nation!
National News [blackagendareport.com] [atlantablackstar.com] [sfbayview.com]
* "Rapper shot in Chicago during Black Lives Matter video shoot" (2016-08-26, rt.com) [archive.is/Jjt47]
* "London Hosts First Memorial Service for African Slave Trade; '... the legacies of said brutality are still here with anti-Black racism and police brutality and mass incarceration…,' said activist and artist, Akala" (2016-08-22, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/MsTqi], attached video [is.gd/mKUoYX], showing the first-ever International Slavery Remembrance Day memorial in the UKGB, at London's Trafalgar Square.
* "Leaked Memo Told Dems: ‘Don’t Offer Support’ For Black Lives Matter Policy Positions The memo lists several suggestions for how Democratic congressional candidates should handle an encounter with a Black Lives Matter activist" (2016-08-31, huffingtonpost.com) [archive.is/qIZvV]
* "After Leaked Memo, DCCC Says They Share 'Common Goals' With Black Lives Matter; 'We will not allow this hacking to distract from our common goals nor disparage the BLM movement,' a spokesperson said, as a Guccifer 2.0 leak has heightened tensions between activists and Democrats" (2016-08-31, buzzfeed.com) [archive.is/C5KKU]
* Leaked memorandum to DCCC Staff [archive.is/Fa4Mi]
* "10 arrested at police shooting site in Milwaukee" (2016-08-31, rt.com) [archive.is/jkxm0]
information collected by the Committee to Defend Public Education!
* "Breakthrough: Private university graduate students can organize" (2016-08-24, peoplesworld.org) [archive.is/vFeGP]
* "Meet Gillary: She’s 18 and already changing the world" (2016-08-24, peoplesworld.org) [archive.is/jTeuQ] [begin excerpt]: Meet Gillary Lanzo. While most 18-year-olds graduate from high school a little unsure of what's next, Gillary knows exactly where she's headed, and she has a heart full of passion, drive, and excitement to get her there. Gillary is one of the Farm Labor Organizing Committee's rising leaders, and she brings her passion and love for her community to the FLOC Homies Union, a youth organizing committee based in our Ohio office. [end excerpt]
* "Mississippi Parents Demand an Answer: Are Charter Schools Constitutional? Plaintiffs say privately-run, publicly-funded, corporate institutions do not qualify as "free" schools and shouldn't get taxpayer money" (2016-08-24, commondreams.org) [archive.is/jAvqu]
* "Another for-profit college in trouble: ITT Tech sanctioned by government" (2016-08-26, rt.com) [archive.is/To4ZP]
* "How Investment Banks Cash in on School Construction" (2016-08-25, priceonomics.com) [archive.is/t93sl] [begin excerpt]: When Americans vote in the local school board elections every few years, they elect the individuals who oversee one of the country’s largest infrastructure projects: the construction and maintenance of America’s nearly 100,000 schools.
Any given school board member will be responsible for only a piece of that project. But, taken together, schools are the nation’s second largest public infrastructure investment after transportation. Roughly 55 million Americans (1 in 6) set foot in our public schools every day, according to the National Council on School Facilities, and they occupy an area equivalent to nearly 3,000 Empire State Buildings. There isn’t a public institution in the country that touches the lives of more Americans.
In other countries, provincial or national governments manage education systems, with varying levels of discretion for local officials. But in the United States, schools operate on the principle of local control, which means that the governing and management of public schools is done by locally-elected or appointed representatives such as school boards or school committees.
The United States is nearly unique in this respect, and when you think of schools as an infrastructure project, local control presents a unique problem: it’s inefficient and inequitable.
It’s inefficient because you’re asking every local school board in the country to borrow millions of dollars to construct or renovate school buildings. Inevitably, when a tiny school board works with financial firms to borrow money, they get fleeced. It’s inequitable because smaller school districts with less taxable wealth are hit with higher fees, which means that the poorest communities get the least out of their education dollars.
This is one of the unrecognized downsides of local control in America. We spend too much to get too little from school construction, paying billions to financial firms like investment banks and consultancies that could be spent on teacher salaries, technology for students, and specialized tutoring. [end excerpt]
* "A third of Texas teachers must work second jobs, survey says" (2016-08-26, statesman.com) [archive.is/GWXbV]
information collected by the Worker's Defense Committee [is.gd/VOkmLr]
* "Unions battle employers that use arbitration to curb worker rights" (2016-08-25, peoplesworld.org) [archive.is/hNUts]
* "Employees of Government Contractors Shouldn’t Have to Arbitrate Discrimination and Harassment Claims" (2016-08-24, citizen.org) [archive.is/Li9Re]
* "How America’s top corporations are stealing $376bn (and counting) from their workers" (2016-07-27, rt.com) [archive.is/nlPHE]
* "Under fire: Chipotle, Papa John, McDonald’s over ‘pervasive’ wage theft and discrimination" (2016-08-27, rt.com) [archive.is/Te8ba]
* "Coalition of Immokalee Workers call for boycott of Wendy’s" (2016-08-23, peoplesworld.org) [archive.is/RBG3D] [begin excerpt]: For decades, farmworkers in the U.S. have faced physical and verbal abuse, daily threats to their health and safety, racial discrimination, wage theft and grinding poverty. Farmworkers also experience unconscionably high rates of sexual violence and harassment in the fields. In 2010, the Southern Poverty Law Center found that 80 percent of farmworker women report that they have experienced sexual harassment on the job.
And in the most extreme cases, farmworkers have faced modern-day slavery, with nearly a dozen forced labor operations uncovered over the past two decades in Florida's fields alone.
That's the bad news. Here's the good news:
Today, there is a solution. As farmworkers, we have created the Fair Food Program, a groundbreaking partnership among workers, growers, and major retail brands like McDonald's, Whole Foods and Burger King that is ending decades of farmworker poverty and powerlessness. The Fair Food Program has been called "the best workplace-monitoring program" in the U.S. in the New York Times, and "one of the great human rights success stories of our day" in the Washington Post, and has won widespread recognition for its unique effectiveness from a broad spectrum of human rights observers, from the White House to the United Nations. Just last year the Fair Food Program received a Presidential Medal for its unique success in fighting modern-day slavery and other human rights abuses in corporate supply chains.
But despite the Program's historic achievements in advancing farmworkers' human rights, one buyer is still standing in the way of progress: Wendy's.
We are calling on you to stand with farmworkers in boycotting Wendy's until they join the Fair Food Program and agree to protect the basic human rights of workers in their supply chain. [end excerpt]
* (2016-08-26, Steven Payan) [archive.is/JVn2Z]:
Bill Dodd is an institutionalized racist who thinks Mexicans don't deserve the basic right to overtime pay which we all have, BUT FARMWORKERS do not!
What is wrong with this picture...?
He is a former Republican who is now a Blue Dog Democrat.
Don't vote for this scumbag.
- (comment by Erich W.): It's total BULLSHIT, I lived in Yolo county for a long time, been seeing farm workers out working when it 110°… I myself worked landscaping, it's not easy. Not paying them proper wage is fascism or something like that and completely wrong....
Documenting human-rights abuse by domestic security agencies
[NorthbayCopwatch.blogspot.com] [copblock.org] [wecopwatch.org] [filmingcops.com]
* "Police depts should accurately report killings or lose federal funding - human rights groups" (2016-08-30, rt.com) [archive.is/LA0IX]
* "A Single Police Dept Costs Taxpayers Nearly $2K A Day To Keep Bad Cops On Paid Vacations" (2016-08-28, by Matt Agorist) [archive.is/nbOlv]
* "Father ‘utterly terrified’ after trooper points gun at his 7-year-old during traffic stop" (2016-08-16, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/I5l2d]
* "Shooting the messenger: Citizen journalists jailed for recording police" (2016-08-27, rt.com) [archive.is/6E5LB]
* "Police whistleblower vindicated after raid on home ruled unconstitutional" (2016-08-27, rt.com) [archive.is/CQ7jt]
* "Maine Gov. Paul LePage Says People Of Color Are ‘The Enemy’ ; When you go to war, he added, 'you shoot at the enemy' " (2016-08-26, huffingtonpost.com) [archive.is/bVXu5]
* "Chicago cops shoot at someone every 5 days" (2016-08-30, rt.com) [archive.is/CWZy3]
* "Philly Cop Displays Nazi Tattoos" (2016-09-01, facebook.com/telesurenglish), video [archive.org/details/PhillyNaziCop2016]: This Philadelphia cop was seen sporting a racist Nazi tattoo on his arm at a Black Lives Matter movement rally. Ousted as a white supremacist, he is also a listed member of an international network of neo-Nazi organizations.
* (2016-08-31, Evan Parish Matthews) [archive.is/wz19Z]:
The Philadelphia Police Department police officer pictured below is Officer Ian Hans Lichtermann of Northeast Philadelphia’s second precinct. Tattooed on Officer Lichtermann’s left forearm is the official insignia of Adolph Hitler’s Nazi Party.
The pictures below were taken on July 26, 2016 at Philadelphia’s #BlackResistanceMarch. Held in the midst of the Democratic National Convention, the march was organized by a number of Philadelphia community organizations, most notably the Philly Coalition for REAL Justice and Workers World Party. The protest was held in solidarity with #BlackLivesMatter and in opposition to the state oppression of Black people, poor people, and people of color. When photographed, Officer Lichtermann was part of a line of nearly one hundred police officers who were blocking entrance to a major city intersection.
The eagle of Nazi Germany, the Third Reich, and Officer Lichtermann’s tattoo is called the partieadler. With wings outstretched and a simplistic design, the partieadler is distinct from the national emblem in every other era of German history, a history that stretches from the reichsadler’s first appearance in the 12th century, to its present design. For comparison, the chronology of the German reichsadler is pictured below. (1)
In the midsection of Officer Lichtermann’s partieadler, though difficult to see in the included photos, is the Iron Cross. An old Prussian military award reinstituted by Adolph Hitler in 1939, the Iron Cross was an commendation given to members of Nazi Germany’s police and military. Adolph Hitler himself was a recipient of the Iron Cross. (2)
On Officer Lichtermann’s right forearm is an assault rifle in-laid over the flag of the United States. The assault rifle, the same weapon police used to kill Yuvette Henderson and Teo Valencia in the Bay Area (CA), is often aquired in mass by police departments through military decommission. (3) Under the flag of the United States and the AR-15 is the phrase “For God and Country,” the motto of the American Legion, a veterans organization.
In 2006, the counterterrorism division of the FBI released a report warning of the widespread infiltration of white supremacists in law enforcement. The report specifically references incidents in Los Angeles, Florida, Chicago, Cleveleand, and one Texas sherriff’s department where officers had been fired after their ties to white supremacists groups were discovered. (4) In 2015, the San Francisco Police Department fired seven officers after communications were discovered showing allegiances to white supremacists ideologies and expressing their desire to lynch Black folks. In 2016, the SFPD offered those officers their jobs back. (5) Since the FBI counterterrorism report was released in 2006, the amount of white supremacists groups has over quadruple. (6)
Call the Philadelphia Police 2nd Precinct and let them know employing a police officer with a white-supremacist, Nazi tattoo is unacceptable. Their number is 215-686-3020 and their Facebook is Philadelphia Police Department.
- Photo showing Lichtermann conducting surveillance on the [archive.is/QsvA2]
- Close-up of the "Fatherland" tattoo [archive.is/RvaBJ]
- Close-up of the "God and Country" tattoo [archive.is/GLPqr]
- Chart of the various historical German National Eagle symbols [archive.is/uZPes], and a photn showing the particular Eagle symbol used by European-supremacists inspired by the works of 20th century German Leader Adolph Hitler [archive.is/v2ue9], this being the particular German Eagle the one photographed on Lichtermann.
Additional credits: Photos of Officer Lichtermann by Evan P. Matthews, photo of Adolph Hitler beneath reichadler found with "Fury at trendy fashion label's logo" (2015-10-09, Daily Mail) [archive.is/kbPlz].
(1) "Reichsadler" (retrieved from Wikipedia.org) [archive.is/itrEP]
(2) "Adolph Hitler a war hero? Anything but, said first world war comrades"(2010-08-16, theguardian.com) [archive.is/7rnpb]
(3) "APTP Stokes AR-15 Debate by Hosting Public Forum in Emeryville" (2015-12-24, evilleeye.com) [archive.is/1Vlhm]
(4) "White Supremacist Infiltration of Law Enforcement" (2006-10-17, FBI Counterterrorism Division) (.pdf) [is.gd/5XkxLU]
(5) "SF cops who wrote racist text messages win court ruling" (2015-12-21, sfgate.com) [archive.is/R5xsJ]
(6) "As racial hate groups rise, strategies to shut them down" (2016-03-25, PBS Newshour) [archive.is/Jkpa8], an interview with Heidi Beirich, leader of the Intelligence Project at the Southern Poverty Law Center, attached video [youtube.com/watch?v=chTntCmWdvE]
* "Philadelphia police officer pictured with Nazi tattoo, but are the facts in?" (2016-09-02, rt.com) [archive.is/afAJl]:
The threat bicycle police officers seem to pose falls somewhere between officers on horseback and those on a Segway. However, one officer’s insidious neo-Nazi arm tattoo has raised a lot of questions about his past and present.
A picture shared on Wednesday of an officer, believed to be Ian Hans Lichterman [archive.is/UC5ub], shows his forearms are heavily adorned with Nazi iconography. On one arm, he sports a Nazi War Eagle tattoo known as the ‘parteiadler’ with the word ‘Fatherland’ above it.
In the photo, the officer’s uniform has the name ‘Lichtermann’, spelled with an extra ‘n’ at the end.
The Anti-Defamation League notes [archive.is/li4Ue] that the Blue Eagle logo of the Roosevelt’s New Deal program is often mistaken for a Nazi Eagle. However, the similarity between the tattoo in question and Nazi iconography is striking. In addition, recent looks into Lichterman’s past show that it wouldn’t be out of the question for a man with his interests to have a white supremacist tattoo.
In 2010, there were several successful hacks into neo-Nazi and white supremacist websites that leaked the real names and information of members. One of the sites hacked belonged to Blood and Honour, a group founded in the UK by skinhead musicians that turned into an international organization, with members in the US.
When Blood and Honour was hacked, the names, addresses and email addresses of its members were revealed, including one Philadelphia man named Ian Lichterman.
At that time, Lichterman allegedly left the force and went into private security, which the anti-fascist organization Antifa alleges was overseas mercenary work, due to Lichterman’s alleged background as a marine. The Philadelphia network, Philly Antifa, got wind of the story and discovered that a man named Ian Lichterman had been honored at the 2nd Police District Advisory Council in 2014 [archive.is/nooVC].
Although there is no confirmation about Lichterman’s status as a marine or veteran, a man named Ian Hans Lichterman ran in a race for wounded soldiers in 2014 in a township just outside of Philadelphia.
While it could be pure coincidence that a man named Ian Hans Lichterman lived in the same city as a man named Ian Lichterman, where an officer who spells his last name as Lichtermann also lives, the odds are not in the officer’s favor.
But there are issues that need to be addressed while the social media fervor boils over. The leak occurred in 2010. According to Philly Antifa [archive.is/hS9MX], “Shortly after the hack, Lichterman left the Philly PD and was working as a private security contractor (mercenary) in the middle east for some time.”
However, the Philadelphia Inquirer [archive.is/3Ijv4] found city payroll records that show an officer named Lichterman was employed from April 2000, but left in August 2002, and then returned in 2003. This does not seem to fit the timeline from Philly Antifa.
In addition, the change of spelling from Lichterman to Lichtermann, as seen on his uniform, cannot be explained at this time. A cursory search through Philadelphia County records as well as Delaware County records did not find any name change filings for Lichterman or Lichtermann.
However, the email address listed for Ian Lichterman in the Blood and Honour was firstname.lastname@example.org. A closer look at the picture of Lichtermann that has been circulating shows his badge number to be 3155.
It could just so happen that another police officer whose name is spelled ‘Litchermann’ is passionate enough about Nazi iconography that he had them tattooed on his arm.
Few sources have acknowledged this discrepancy in his name, nor the years when he was not employed as a police officer. Reporters who have tried to contact Lichterman have been hung up on or found his number to be disconnected.
In addition, the Daily Dot connected Lichterman to Instagram and Flickr accounts where his handle was ‘Panzerhund0311’, panzer being German for ‘tank’. In addition, the 0311 is Marine infantry code for rifleman.
He has since deleted all of his social media accounts, but the Daily Dot found he collected German police regalia.
Since the picture went viral on Wednesday, the Philadelphia Police Department has issued a statement explaining that although they have no dress code policies regarding tattoos, “the department will quickly move to assess and determine the appropriate policy moving forward."
They also said that the issue has been passed to internal affairs.
Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney released a statement saying, "The imagery on display in the tweet is disturbing," adding, "In this environment - in which open, honest dialogue between citizens and police is paramount - we need to be building trust, not offering messages or displaying images that destroy trust."
John McNesby, president of Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 5, doesn’t see the big deal about this.
"I've seen it. It's an Eagle. Not a big deal," he told the Philadelphia Inquirer.
Prior to Kenney’s statement, McNesby told the Inquirer via text message, "City not concerned neither are we," and went on to say, "I see people with panthers on their arm. Doesn't mean they are black panthers. People with crosses on arms doesn't mean they dislike any other religion."
* "Philly Police Officer Outed as White Supremacist with Ties to Blood and Honour" (2016-09-01, phillyantifa.noblogs.org) [archive.is/hS9MX] [begin excerpt]:
One was a rather generic Nationalist tattoo of an AR-15 over an american flag with “For God and Country” written above it. That is the motto of the American Legion, a veterans organization that was very sympathetic to Fascism in Europe before WWII.
“The president of the American Legion in 1923 was quoted as saying, ‘If ever needed, the American Legion stands ready to protect our country’s institutions and ideals as the Fascisti dealt with the destructionists who menaced Italy.’ In reply to whether this meant taking over the government, he said ‘Exactly that. The American Legion is fighting every element that threatens our democratic government-soviets, anarchists, I.W.W., revolutionary socialists and every other Red ..Do not forget that the Fascisti are to Italy what the American Legion is to the United States.'” [...]
It is obvious from his past association with Blood and Honour, his Nazi tattoos, his affinity for dressing up as a Third Reich soldier and his reactionary, racist, anti-communist photoshops that Ian Hans Lichterman is an extreme danger to the people of Philadelphia (especially People of Color, Muslims and Anti-Racists) as long as he has a gun and a badge. [end excerpt]
These pics are taken from Lichterman’s flikr account, which is under “Panzerhund0311.”
photo caption: Ian Hans Lichterman (left) with 2 fellow Nazi reenactors. Lichterman was previously outed as a member of the WP network Blood and Honour and is an active Philly PD Officer
NORTHBAY COPWATCH: Domestic Security Agencies and private-sector partners
* "Word Games: What The NSA Means By “Targeted” Surveillance Under Section 702" (2016-08-27, by Cindy Cohn) [archive.is/nnoj0]
* "Running a 'fever': FBI and police Stingray surveillance partnership revealed in docs" (2016-08-27, rt.com) [archive.is/jtKYh]
* "ZigBee Radio Transmitter: How Many Do You Have?" (2016-08-25, by Catherine Frompovich) [archive.is/Hy9v8]
* "Secret Cameras Have Been Warrantlessly Recording An Entire City’s Every Move From Above" (2016-08-24, by Claire Bernish) [archive.is/aksXz]
* "Microsoft services to crack down on 'hate speech' " (2016-08-30, rt.com) [archive.is/zrxrV]
* "Facebook, Twitter & YouTube ‘consciously failing’ to tackle online extremism – MPs" (2016-08-25, rt.com) [archive.is/PfPOs]
* " ‘Betrayal of trust'? WhatsApp to start sharing user data with Facebook, corporations" (2016-08-25, rt.com) [archive.is/UkE4i]
* "LinkedIn sues anonymous data scrapers" (2016-08-15, techcrunch.com) [archive.is/VT1eT] [begin excerpt]: LinkedIn is trying to lock down its exclusive relationship with its users.
The professional networking company filed suit against 100 unnamed individuals last week for using bots to harvest user profiles from its website. The lawsuit is a preliminary step to revealing the identities of the scrapers — LinkedIn intends to ask the court to reveal the true identities behind the scrapers’ IP addresses — and a way to maintain its exclusive hold on users’ resumes.
But LinkedIn’s lawsuit also raises questions about how to police bot use. The company, which was recently snapped up by Microsoft for $26.2 billion [archive.is/KgEWt], has invoked the controversial Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA) in its suit against the unidentified scrapers, claiming that collecting user profiles from the site amounts to hacking. [...]
The CFAA allows companies like LinkedIn to bring cases against anyone who gains “unauthorized access” to a “protected computer.” The law has been criticized for essentially criminalizing Terms of Service violations, and Representative Zoe Lofgren and other lawmakers have pushed unsuccessfully for CFAA reform.
LinkedIn’s case accuses the anonymous scrapers of building a massive botnet and circumventing the restrictions LinkedIn uses to prevent profile collection by undesirable third parties. [...]
[...] LinkedIn doesn’t want to prohibit scraping altogether. Search engines like Google use bots to index websites and turn up relevant results — and LinkedIn wants to allow this type of scraping to occur. [...]
It’s also not clear what kind of behavior LinkedIn is trying to prevent, since the lawsuit doesn’t specify what the scraped data is being used for. Does LinkedIn want to squash a competitor? Or is it targeting a research project like ICWATCH [icwatch.transparencytoolkit.org], which archives the resumes of individuals in the intelligence community? [end excerpt]
* "Of course everyone’s already using the leaked NSA exploits" (2016-08-24, wired.com) [archive.is/lNoxl] [begin excerpt]: Last Week, AN anonymous group calling itself the Shadow Brokers leaked a bunch of National Security Agency hacking tools. Whoever they are, the Shadow Brokers say they still have more data to dump. But the preview has already unleashed some notable vulnerabilities, complete with tips for how to use them.
All of which means anyone—curious kids, petty criminals, trolls—can now start hacking like a spy. And it looks like they are. [end excerpt]
* "Hackers claim to auction data they stole from NSA-linked spies" (2016-08-15, wired.com) [archive.is/Tnf8O]
* "The CIA’s manual for how to be a terrible employee sounds like it was written by the E-4 Mafia" (2015-11-06, wearethemighty.com) [archive.is/p3yd0]:
In 1944, the CIA’s precursor, the Office of Strategic Services (OSS), distributed a secret pamphlet that was intended as a guidebook to citizens living in Axis nations who were sympathetic to the Allies.
The “Simple Sabotage Field Manual,” (.pdf) [is.gd/tDT3CI] declassified in 2008 and available on the CIA’s website [archive.is/CuX2P], provided instructions for how everyday people could help the Allies weaken their country by reducing production in factories, offices, and transportation lines.
“Some of the instructions seem outdated; others remain surprisingly relevant,” reads the current introduction on the CIA’s site. “Together they are a reminder of how easily productivity and order can be undermined.”
We’ve collected below some of the timeless instructions on how to be a terrible employee. What’s most amusing is that despite the dry language and specificity of the context, the productivity-crushing activities recommended are all-too-common behaviors in contemporary organizations everywhere.
See if any of those listed below — quoted but abridged — remind you of your boss, colleagues, or even yourself.
Organizations and Conferences -
- Insist on doing everything through “channels.” Never permit short-cuts to be taken in order to expedite decisions.
- Make “speeches.” Talk as frequently as possible and at great length. Illustrate your “points” by long anecdotes and accounts of personal experiences.
- When possible, refer all matters to committees, for “further study and consideration.” Attempt to make the committee as large as possible — never less than five.
- Bring up irrelevant issues as frequently as possible.
- Haggle over precise wordings of communications, minutes, resolutions.
- Refer back to matters decided upon at the last meeting and attempt to re-open the question of the advisability of that decision.
- Advocate “caution.” Be “reasonable” and urge your fellow-conferees to be “reasonable”and avoid haste which might result in embarrassments or difficulties later on.
- In making work assignments, always sign out the unimportant jobs first. See that important jobs are assigned to inefficient workers.
- Insist on perfect work in relatively unimportant products; send back for refinishing those which have the least flaw.
- To lower morale and with it, production, be pleasant to inefficient workers; give them undeserved promotions.
- Hold conferences when there is more critical work to be done.
- Multiply the procedures and clearances involved in issuing instructions, pay checks, and so on. See that three people have to approve everything where one would do.
- Work slowly.
- Contrive as many interruptions to your work as you can.
- Do your work poorly and blame it on bad tools, machinery, or equipment. Complain that these things are preventing you from doing your job right.
- Never pass on your skill and experience to a new or less skillful worker.
* "Clinton’s Campaign & The Anti-Russian Roots of the ‘Cultural Left’ " (2016-08-21, journal-neo.org) [archive.is/YO1Jc] [begin excerpt]:
The Congress for Cultural Freedom -
To understand the unique rhetorical style that Clinton has embraced, one must understand what happened at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel back in 1949. Despite the United States being in an anti-communist frenzy, with the House Un-American Activities committee in full swing, and many Communist Party members being sent to federal or state prisons, the Moscow-aligned Communist Party scored a key public relations victory.
On March 25th, 1949 the “Scientific and Cultural Conference for World Peace” opened in New York City, and gave voice to a loud, solid critique of US foreign policy. Albert Einstein, Will Geer, Arthur Miller, Aaron Copeland, Lillian Hellman, Frank Oppenheimer, Paul Robeson, W.E.B. Dubois, and many of the most well respected cultural and intellectual figures of the time took the stage at the conference. The speeches not only denounced the military build-up against the Soviet Union, but also defended Soviet military interventions, and presented the USSR as a friendly, socialist society, not the “Iron Curtain” or “Evil Empire” portrayed in US media. The US Central Intelligence Agency watched with anger as images of the Waldorf Peace Conference were distributed by media outlets across the planet, discrediting the United States and raising the prestige of the Soviet Union.
In response, the following year the CIA launched a project called the “Congress for Cultural Freedom.” Still today, the project is considered to be one of the agency’s greatest achievements of the Cold War era. The CIA brags about the project on its website saying it involved: “a cadre of energetic and well-connected staffers willing to experiment with unorthodox ideas and controversial individuals if that was what it took to challenge the Communists at their own game.”
The project involved indirect CIA funding of “cultural leftism.” Across the United States and western Europe, Socialists, Communists, Anarchists, as well as artists, musicians, academics and film-makers started getting CIA money. Many of them were unaware of where this money came from.
The CIA’s website confirms that it subsidized the New York-based Trotskyist magazine called “Partisan Review.” The magazine presented itself as representing the genuine socialism of Karl Marx, Max Shachtman and Leon Trotsky, while opposing “Stalinism” in the USSR. The CIA also promoted the works of Sidney Hook and other “socialist” college professors.
The project went beyond just political activism, and included funding for art galleries, experimental film-makers, and most especially, left-wing academics. The CIA funded the printing of George Orwell’s writings, as well as concerts by left-wing musicians. A 2014 article from the Chronicle of Higher Education bemoans the impact of CIA funding for the Iowa Writers Workshop, which promoted what was described as stylistic innovations and breakthroughs in literature.
Why Foment “Cultural Leftism?”
It seems strange that at the time of the Cold War, the US government was intentionally funding people who called themselves radical leftists. However, it makes sense for one key reason: all of the artists, activists, academics, and philosophers who received money from the CIA program were staunchly anti-Soviet.
The CIA intentionally promoted “cultural leftists” hoping to divert people with leftist and dissident instincts away from Soviet Communism. A significant political gap between western leftists and the USSR was already developing. Over the course of the 1920s, the Soviet Union grew to be much more socially conservative than during its earliest years. Homosexuality and abortion were outlawed, and the state awarded medals to women who bore more than 10 children.
While western leftists clung to abstract Marxist concepts like “free love” and “the destruction of gender,” the Soviet Union, fighting for its survival amidst blockades, invasions and foreign subversion, needed to tighten up. Facing constant attack, the Soviet Union was forced to become very authoritarian. With its industries rapidly developing within a previously poor and agrarian society, the Soviet economy required strict regulation. As they faced foreign attacks, Soviet leaders invoked not only Marxist-Leninist principles, but also Russian nationalism. Films portrayed medieval Czars not as tyrants but as patriotic idols fighting off foreign invaders. During the Second World War the Russian Orthodox Church was resurrected and allowed to function within Soviet society.
Despite having a centrally planned, non-capitalist economy, achieving what was often described as “economic miracles” by economists, when it came to cultural issues, the USSR simply did not live up to fantasies of many western leftists. Many activists who strove for an egalitarian paradise with “total freedom” were quite disappointed with what the Soviet Union had become.
Yet, even despite the growing divide, the Soviet Union had a huge network of international allies. The Communist International and broader People’s Front of anti-fascists represented a massive global current. After the Second World War, the current got even larger around the world due to the very admirable role played by Communists and the USSR itself during the war.
Starting in 1950 the CIA began working to exploit and expand the gap between western radicals and the Soviet Union, in the hope of isolating and defeating the USSR. From the earliest days, some of the project’s participants were already fantasizing about events similar to the “color revolutions” the CIA would be involved in a few decades later. When the project was being planned, the ex-Communist academic Sidney Hook said: “Give me a hundred million dollars and a thousand dedicated people, and I will guarantee to generate such a wave of democratic unrest among the masses–yes, even among the soldiers–of Stalin’s own empire, that all his problems for a long period of time to come will be internal. I can find the people.”
Regardless of their intentions, in funding and promoting “Cultural Leftism” the CIA ultimately remolded the left-wing of politics in the USA and Western Europe.
Eastern Mysticism, Fascism & The Occult -
In Western Europe and the United States, Christianity represented the most prominent religious perspective and was promoted by the most centrist and mainstream elements of the political establishment. The radical left generally promoted philosophical materialism and scientific atheism. The occult, paganism, and eastern mysticism were an obsession of the extreme right.
The Nazis, who considered themselves to be a “party of the right” had glorified Germany’s pre-Christian religions, frequently invoking Oden and Valhalla in their propaganda. The famed Occultist Aleister Crowley who entertained the rich and powerful in Britain often vocally aligned with the Conservative Party and considered leftists to be a dirty crowd of uncultured rabble rousers. As a staunch right-winger the iconic para-normalist said “I hate Christianity as socialists hate soap.”
European fascists often marveled at India’s caste system, seeing it as an antidote to class struggle. Julius Evola, one of the primary Italian far-right intellectuals was also considered an expert on Hinduism and pre-Christian mythology. The Nazis adopted the Swastika as their emblem and called themselves “Aryans” because they identified themselves with the authoritarian structures of ancient India, and believed Germans to genetic descendants of it.
Within India, the caste system, mystical practices that are designed to attract spirits, along with the strict patriarchal family structure have been the main targets of social reformers. Many leftists in India accused the British empire of working to reinforce these things in order to effectively weaken the struggle for independence.
Regardless of left and right norms, following the 1950s, as the “Cultural Left” was re-energized while being re-molded by CIA funding in the United States, it was filled with admirers of traditional Indian culture. Writers like Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg used Hindu chants in their writings, which were distributed and promoted at Universities. The International Society for Krishna Consciousness, a very conservative and anti-communist sect that worships a Hindu Diety became iconic participants in peace marches.
Similarly, the theocratic and feudal kingdom of Tibet was rewritten into a trendy liberal cause. The Dalai Lama’s regime was considered to be one of the most right-wing, authoritarian and patriarchal kingdoms in the world. The Nazis had been so impressed with the harshly enforced traditional structures of the Kingdom, that they had dispatched many delegations to study it. The Nazis had actively worked with the regime to fight the Nationalist and Communist forces in other parts of China.
In the 1950s, the CIA sponsored a campaign of guerrilla warfare intended to drive the Communist Party of China from the Tibet Autonomous Region and restore feudal theocratic rule. The book “The CIA’s Secret War in Tibet”, published by the Heritage Foundation, tells how the Dalai Lama’s brother led a team of violent insurgents who were airdropped into Tibet with US made weapons.
However, the remolded Cultural Left which Hillary Clinton now embraces, nearly worships the Dalai Lama. The “Free Tibet” movement, which calls for breaking up the People’s Republic of China, is now one of the trendiest “left-wing” causes. One of the favorite books of this “movement” is “Seven Years in Tibet”, written by Heinrich Harrier, a member of Hitler’s SS, who had been dispatched to Tibet during the Second World War.
“Tune in, Turn On, Drop Out” -
The political left had long been outspoken opponents of recreational drug use. Many of the early socialists even opposed drinking alcohol and were part of the broader temperance movement of the early 20th century. However, as CIA money flowed in, forging the anti-Soviet “cultural left” this position was also altered.
According to what was revealed by the Church Committee, a commission set up by the US Congress to investigate the CIA in 1975, the CIA had actively distributed drugs to college students and others as part of “Project MKULTRA.” The CIA had involved many professors and academics in its research and distribution of Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) also called “acid.”
This hallucinogen had first been synthetically created by Albert Hoffman, a Swiss chemist, in 1938. During the 1950s, the US Central Intelligence Agency had widely experimented with LSD, hoping it could be weaponized and used against the Soviet Union.
Timothy Leary, a Harvard psychology professor, became one of the most well known figures among left-wing students during the 1960s and 70s. He preached “tune in, turn on, and drop out” and loudly encouraged young people who opposed the Vietnam War and racism to use LSD. In 1999, FBI files were released showing that Dr. Timothy Leary had been an FBI informant for much his career.
As the cultural left emerged, there was a strange re-orientation of the mainstream US media. The press backed away from hard line celebrations of capitalism and condemnations of dissent. Instead a large section of popular rock bands, University professors, and TV programs almost celebrated the “New Left,” specifically its cultural manifestations.
During the upsurge of left-wing political activism during the 1960s and 70s, many Communists who took political direction from the Soviet Union, China, or Cuba identified the campus based, drug using, promiscuous, and well funded anti-Soviet “New Left” as problematic. These forces that were organized into disciplined cadre organizations, were a minority, often labelled “Tankies” and “Hardliners” and denounced by iconic New Left figures like Jerry Rubin.
By the mid-1970s, the New Left’s political strength had died down. It remained a kind of small “loyal opposition” in US politics. Peace marches took place, the Green Party was formed, and the New Left functioned as a place that could absorb free thinkers and others with grievances against US society.
While the New Left remained isolated, the US government was ruled by people who espoused Neo-Con formulations about “the greatest country in the world” and called capitalism “the greatest system ever created.” The Ford Foundation, various Rockefeller think tanks, along with projects directed by George Soros funneled money to many who would be considered “left of center,” but they remained a small bloc that was ignored by major political forces.
The New Left Takes Power -
The turning point came after the failures of the Bush administration and the 2008 financial crisis dramatically changed the political atmosphere. The USA clearly has big problems now, and the Republican Party’s political message of “my country right or wrong” and “don’t fix it if it ain’t broke” would no longer suffice.
Amidst Republican confusion and re-messaging, the Democratic Party has now emerged as the most powerful entity in US politics. In order to maintain its grip on power, the Obama presidency and the Clinton campaign are re-energizing the “Cultural Left.” In 2016, the foot soldiers of the Democratic Party are those who have been trained in NGO funded, University based Cultural Leftism. With the global Communist movement far weaker now, the remnants and descendants of the CIA’s “New Left” have a high level of ideological dominance. What was once considered “counter-culture” has become the mainstream.
Now that opponents of the United States on the global stage are much more socially conservative, the pro-war and imperialistic message of the Cultural Left is far more pronounced. At times, Hillary Clinton’s campaign against Donald Trump sounds almost conservative. The Clinton campaign insinuates that Trump is unpatriotic for avoiding military service during the Vietnam War, and unqualified for the Presidency because he uses “offensive” language. According to Clinton’s supporters, Trump is loyal to the Kremlin and admires “dictators” i.e. regimes that challenge Wall Street dominance.
Hillary Clinton thundered “America is great, because America is good” during her convention speech, dismissing Trump’s “Make America Great Again” as unpatriotic. Many of the attacks leveled against Trump are not condemning him for being bigoted or authoritarian, but rather for being overcritical of US society and embracing “conspiracy theories.”
According to politics extolled by the Clinton-ites and their foot soldiers, being left-wing, fighting for women’s rights, and opposing injustice means carrying out regime change. According to Clinton’s Cultural Left, the battle for “human rights” must continue, and the Pentagon must be utilized to free women, homosexuals, transgender people, and others from “dictators” who do not share their enlightened social perspective. This liberation is to be carried out by arming Islamic extremists, enacting economic sanctions, and firing cruise missiles in order to create chaos and topple regimes deemed to be promoting values contrary to those taught in Race and Gender Studies courses.
Greater confrontation with Russia is considered a good thing because its government is accused of being “homophobic.” Those who point out that Clinton coddles dictators in places like Saudi Arabia, or that US meddling in Syria and Libya has strengthened the menace of ISIL are labelled “conspiracy theorists” who need to “check their privilege” and “stop man-splaining.”
At the same time, pointing out that the US backed anti-government fighters in Syria are actually Wahabbi fanatics who have slaughtered Christians and Alawites is called “Islamophobia.” Consistent with the argumentative style of the campus based “privilege politics” milieu, these facts are never refuted. Rather, one is simply accused of some ideological crime or impurity for pointing them out.
As millions of people are rapidly fleeing both Libya and Syria because NATO interventions have toppled independent nationalist governments and made their lives unlivable, leftists are applauding the situation. Rather than protest these imperialist crimes which created a mass refugee crisis, the bulk of leftists are having parades to “Welcome the Refugees.” Those who point out that NATO destabilizations have caused a crisis of mass migration, and say this is an atrocity that should be opposed, are accused of being bigots and Islamophobes. [end excerpt]
* "Lawyer: Dark Web Child Porn Site Ran Better When It Was Taken Over by the FBI" (2016-08-23, motherboard.vice.com) [archive.is/msPJx]
* "Judge orders FBI, Ortiz to turn over documents on Mass. Joint Terrorism Task Forces" (2016-08-17, boston.com) [archive.is/mCgKR]
* "Clinton ‘bleached’ her private server to permanently wipe emails, says House Oversight member" (2016-08-26, rt.com) [archive.is/2M154] [begin excerpt]: Thousands of emails were permanently deleted from a private email server for former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton using a software called BleachBit, House Oversight Committee member Trey Gowdy told Fox News on Thursday. BleachBit is a program used to “prevent recovery” of deleted files [archive.is/ND1Ia].
“She and her lawyers had those emails deleted,” said Gowdy, a South Carolina Republican. “And they didn’t just push the delete button; they had them deleted where even God can’t read them.” [...]
Gowdy, who questioned FBI Director James Comey following the investigation into her use of a private email server while serving as the country’s top diplomat - and served on the House Select Committee on Benghazi - claims Clinton and her legal team used the software to destroy about 30,000 emails which she deemed “personal.”
“You don’t use BleachBit for yoga emails or bridesmaids emails. When you’re using BleachBit, it is something you really do not want the world to see,” Gowdy said. [...]
The FBI were able to get around the BleachBit deletion to uncover 14,900 emails that Clinton failed to hand over. Gowdy claims to have viewed these emails, and wants the public to see them too.
"I read every word of all of the witness interviews," Gowdy told Fox. "My takeaway was this: Remember James Comey said [Clinton] was not indicted because he didn't have sufficient evidence on the issue of intent. I didn't see any questions on the issue of intent." [end excerpt]
* (Arkansas Democrat newspaper, 8/6/1974) [begin excerpt]: "I think it's plain that the president should resign and spare the country the agony of this impeachment and removal proceeding," Clinton said. "I think the country could be spared a lot of agony and the government could worry about inflation and a lot of other problems if he'd go on and resign."
Clinton, a law professor at the University of Arkansas, said there was "no question that an admission of making false statements to government officials and interfering with the FBI and the CIA is an impeachable offense." [end excerpt]
* "What Makes a Hate Group?" (2016-08-26, commondreams.org) [archive.is/R7oFL] [begin excerpt]: “As a matter of fact, you have had a person attend your protests in Camp Douglas who has threatened to kill our Deputies.” This piece of startling news was revealed to me in a letter from Juneau County, Wisconsin, Undersheriff Craig Stuchlik dated July 25.
I had written to the sheriff’s department requesting documents under the Open Records Law and for an explanation of the department’s response to a demonstration at Volk Field, a Wisconsin Air National Guard base near the town of Camp Douglas, where my colleague at Voices for Creative Nonviolence Kathy Kelly and I had been arrested onFebruary 23, carrying a loaf of bread and a letter for the base commander. There is a facility at this base where military personnel are trained in the operation of remotely controlled Shadow Drones that have been instrumental in the targeted assassination program that legal experts label war crimes and that military experts say recruit more enemies for our country than they kill.
Undersheriff Stuchlik put this purported threat into a broader context that suggests that the sheriff’s department views Voices for Creative Nonviolence and the Wisconsin Coalition to Ground the Drones and End the Wars that organizes these demonstrations as hate groups: “Law Enforcement Officers are being targeted in the United States by hate groups because they stand for law and order. Law Enforcement Officers are being executed by these hate groups at an alarming rate and it does not appear to be slowing down.”
One of my specific requests had concerned the department’s practice of singling out of protesters’ vehicles for scrutiny and frivolous citations. Stuchlik admitted that on February 23, deputies “ran” the license plate numbers of “all vehicles… that appeared to be involved in the protest,” even when parked legally. “When Deputies respond to such incidents, we need to know who we are dealing with,” said Stuchlik. “Thus the reason that we run license numbers. As I mentioned before, you have had a party attend your protests who has openly threatened to kill us.”
My letter asked for explanations of other police responses to protests at Volk Field. Although police reports confirm that Kathy and I were arrested on open land and out of sight of any residence, the complaint that deputies swore against us in District Court fraudulently alleged that we had “entered the dwelling of Volk Field” and charged us with the crime of “trespass to a dwelling”. (“Dwelling” is defined in the Wisconsin trespass statute as “a structure or that part of a structure intended to be used as a home , residence or sleeping place by one or two or more persons.”) We were also charged with “disorderly conduct”, even though we had no more engaged in the “violent, abusive, indecent, profane, boisterous, unreasonably loud or otherwise disorderly conduct” that this second charge is supposed to cover than we had broken into anyone’s house for the purpose of causing a disturbance. These phony charges were soon dropped, but not before Kathy and I were held overnight in the Juneau County Jail on $350 bonds. The county’s “trespass to land” forfeiture ordinance that we were eventually cited for is not a criminal offense. Had the sheriff’s department charged us properly on February 23, they would have not been able to take us to jail but could only have written us tickets at the site and let us go on our way. [end excerpt]
Photo caption: Does this group of peace activists constitute a hate group? Well, some sheriffs in Wisconsin seem to think so.
NORTHBAY COPWATCH: International Security Agencies, the Five-Eyes, and transnational partners
* "Military Expert: 'Former CIA Agents Do Not Exist' " (2016-08-10, translated by Ollie Richardson) [archive.is/NyUWf]
* "ECHELON Online Surveillance" (1998, whatreallyhappened.com) [archive.is/1ceJZ] [begin excerpt]:
Photo: ECHELON intercept station at Menwith Hill, England.
Rumors have abounded for several years of a massive system designed to intercept virtually all email and fax traffic in the world and subject it to automated analysis, despite laws in many nations (including this one) barring such activity. The laws were circumvented by a mutual pact among five nations. It's illegal for the United States to spy on it's citizens. Likewise the same for Great Britain. But under the terms of the UKUSA agreement, Britain spies on Americans and America spies on British citizens and the two groups trade data. Technically, it may be legal, but the intent to evade the spirit of the laws protecting the citizens of those two nations is clear.
The system is called ECHELON, and had been rumored to be in development since 1947, the result of the UKUSA treaty signed by the governments of the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
The purpose of the UKUSA agreement was to create a single vast global intelligence organization sharing common goals and a common agenda, spying on the world and sharing the data. The uniformity of operation is such that NSA operatives from Fort Meade could work from Menwith Hill to intercept local communications without either nation having to formally approve or disclose the interception. [end excerpt]
* "Menwith Hill, England ECHELON Intercept Station (+54° 00' 37.81", -1° 41' 23.50") " (thelivingmoon.com) [archive.is/Tmwfr], photo set [archive.is/ZL4er] [archive.is/cAJq7] [archive.is/0OJe8] [archive.is/dDorO] [archive.is/Xn08H] [archive.is/m1lx3] [archive.is/bfll4] [archive.is/Ztk95] [archive.is/ch0mL]
* "Exposing the global surveillance system" (1996-12, by Nicky Hager, via CovertAction Quarterly newsmagazine) [archive.is/ALXqT], adapted from the book "Secret Power: New Zealand's role in the international spy network" [archive.is/pacvD]:
In the late 1980s, in a decision it probably regrets, the US prompted New Zealand to join a new and highly secret global intelligence system. Hager's investigation into it and his discovery of the ECHELON Dictionary has revealed one of the world's biggest, most closely held intelligence projects. The system allows spy agencies to monitor most of the world's telephone, e-mail, and telex communications.
The thousands of simultaneous messages are read in "real time" as they pour into the station, hour after hour, day after day, as the computer finds intelligence needles in telecommunications haystacks.
The next component of the ECHELON system intercepts a range of satellite communications not carried by Intelsat. In addition to the UKUSA stations targeting Intelsat satellites, there are another five or more stations homing in on Russian and other regional communications satellites. These stations are Menwith Hill in northern England; Shoal Bay, outside Darwin in northern Australia (which targets Indonesian satellites); Leitrim, just south of Ottawa in Canada (which appears to intercept Latin American satellites); Bad Aibling in Germany; and Misawa in northern Japan.
The worldwide network of facilities to intercept these communications is largely undocumented, and because New Zealand's GCSB does not participate in this type of interception, my inside sources could not help either.
A 1994 expos of the Canadian UKUSA agency, Spyworld, co-authored by one of its former staff, Mike Frost, gave the first insights into how a lot of foreign microwaveinterception is done (see p. 18). It described UKUSA "embassy
collection" operations, where sophisticated receivers and processorsare secretly transported to their countries' overseas embassies in diplomatic bags and used to monitor various communications in foreign capitals. *5
Since most countries' microwave networks converge on the capital city, embassy buildings can be an ideal site. Protected by diplomatic privilege, they allow interception in the heart of the target country. *6
The Canadian embassy collection was requested by the NSA to fill gaps in the American and British embassy collection operations, which were still occurring in many capitals around the world when Frost left the CSE in 1990. Separate sources in Australia have revealed that the DSD also engages in embassy collection. *7
On the territory of UKUSAnations, the interception of land-based telecommunications appears to be done at special secret intelligence facilities. The US, UK, and Canada are geographically well placed to intercept the large amounts of the world's communications that cross their territories.
A different story emerges after examining very detailed information I have been given about the intelligence New Zealand collects for the UKUSA allies and detailed descriptions of what is in the yards-deep intelligence reports New
Zealand receives from its four allies each week. There is quite a lot of intelligence collected about potential terrorists, and there is quite a lot of economic intelligence, notably intensive monitoring of all the countries participating in GATT negotiations. But by far, the main priorities of the intelligence alliance continue to be political and military intelligence to assist the larger allies to pursue their interests around the world. Anyone and anything the particular governments are concerned about can become a target.
With capabilities so secret and so powerful, almost anything goes. For example, in June 1992, a group of current "highly placed intelligence operatives" from the British GCHQ spoke to the London Observer: "We feel we can no longer remain silent regarding that which we regard to be gross malpractice and negligence within the establishment in which we operate." They gave as examples GCHQ interception of three charitable organizations, including Amnesty International and Christian Aid. As the Observer reported: "At any time GCHQ is able to home in on their communications for a routine target request," the GCHQ source said. In the case of phone taps the procedure is known as Mantis. With telexes it is called Mayfly. By keying in a code relating to Third World aid, the source was able to demonstrate telex "fixes" on the three organizations. "It is then possible to key in a trigger word which enables us to home in on the telex communications whenever that word appears," he said. "And we can read a pre-determined number of characters either side of the keyword."12 Without actually naming it, this was a fairly precise description of how the ECHELON Dictionary system works. Again, what was not revealed in the publicity was that this is a UKUSA-wide system. The design of ECHELON means that the interception of these organizations could have occurred anywhere in the network, at any station where the GCHQ had requested that the four-digit code covering Third World aid be placed.
Note that these GCHQ officers mentioned that the system was being used for telephone calls. In New Zealand, ECHELON is used only to intercept written communications: fax, e-mail, and telex. The reason, according to intelligence staff, is that the agency does not have the staff to analyze large quantities of telephone conversations.
Mike Frost's expos of Canadian "embassy collection" operations described the NSA computers they used, called Oratory, that can "listen" to telephone calls and recognize when keywords are spoken. Just as we can recognize words spoken in all the different tones and accents we encounter, so too, according to Frost, can these computers. Telephone calls containing keywords are automatically extracted from the masses of other calls and recorded digitally on magnetic tapes for analysts back at agency headquarters. However, high volume voice recognition computers will be technically difficult to perfect, and my New Zealand-based sources could not confirm that this capability exists. But, if or when it is perfected, the implications would be immense. It would mean that the UKUSA agencies could use machines to search through all the international telephone calls in the world, in the same way that they do written messages. If this equipment exists for use in embassy collection, it will presumably be used in all the stations throughout the ECHELON network. It is yet to be confirmed how extensively telephone communications are being targeted by the ECHELON stations for the other agencies.
The easiest pickings for the ECHELON system are the individuals, organizations, and governments that do not use encryption. In New Zealand's area, for example, it has proved especially useful against already vulnerable South Pacific nations which do not use any coding, even for government communications (all these communications of New Zealand's neighbors are supplied, unscreened, to its UKUSA allies). As a result of the revelations in my book, there is currently a project under way in the Pacific to promote and supply publicly available encryption software to vulnerable organizations such as democracy movements in countries with repressive governments. This is one practical way of curbing illegitimate uses of the ECHELON capabilities.
One final comment. All the newspapers, commentators, and "well placed sources" told the public that New Zealand was cut off from US intelligence in the mid-1980s. That was entirely untrue. The intelligence supply to New Zealand did not stop, and instead, the decade since has been a period of increased integration of New Zealand into the US system. Virtually everything the equipment, manuals, ways of operating, jargon, codes, and so on, used in the GCSB continues to be imported entirely from the larger allies (in practice, usually the NSA). As with the Australian and Canadian agencies, most of the priorities continue to come from the US, too.
The main thing that protects these agencies from change is their secrecy. On the day my book arrived in the book shops, without prior publicity, there was an all-day meeting of the intelligence bureaucrats in the prime minister's department trying to decide if they could prevent it from being distributed. They eventually concluded, sensibly, that the political costs were too high. It is understandable that they were so agitated.
Throughout my research, I have faced official denials or governments refusing to comment on publicity about intelligence activities. Given the pervasive atmosphere of secrecy and stonewalling, it is always hard for the public to judge what is fact, what is speculation, and what is paranoia. Thus, in uncovering New Zealand's role in the NSA-led alliance, my aim was to provide so much detail about the operations the technical systems, the daily work of individual staff members, and even the rooms in which they work inside intelligence facilities that readers could feel confident that they were getting close to the truth. I hope the information leaked by intelligence staff in New Zealand about UKUSA and its systems such as ECHELON will help lead to change. [end excerpt]
Illustration caption: Map of Network
* "ECHELON: Global spy network" (1999, mprofaca.cro.net) pg. 1 [archive.is/j68IT], pg. 2 [archive.is/35RqJ] [begin excerpt]:
ECHELON is operated jointly by five spy organizations under the umbrella of the 1948 UKUSA (pronounced you-koo-za) agreement.
The five SIGNET (signals intelligence) agencies are
- NSA - National Security Agency,
- CSE - Communications Security Establishment,
- GCHQ - Government Communications Head Quarters,
- DSD - Defense Signals Directorate and
- GCSB - New Zealand's Government Communications Security Bureau.
The NSA is the senior member and calls virtually all the shots.
* "Echelon's Origin" (via cryptome.org) [archive.is/VHynM] [begin excerpt]:
The NSA released during the summer a Top Secret memorandum by Truman in 1952 establishing NSA as the lead COMINT agency for the USG [archive.is/5rnGk].
After the dry description of decisionmaking procedures there are tantalizing pointers to the means NSA is to use to spy on foreign governments' communications, with reference to accommodating allies at NSA facilities -- read it carefully.
Also, it's chilling to read that COMINT was so vital that Truman declared it to be free from any constraints placed on all other forms of intelligence. And the DIRNSA was given authority to command any military department or civilian agency for COMINT purposes. [end excerpt]
* "MI5 files reveal details of 1953 coup that overthrew British Guiana's leaders; Documents released by National Archives show prime minister Winston Churchill feared the colony would turn communist" (2011-08-26, theguardian.com) [archive.is/RSMmO] [begin excerpt]: Secret documents declassified on Friday by MI5 reveal in detail how in 1953 the UK under prime minister Winston Churchill overthrew the elected government of British Guiana – now Guyana – because he feared its leftwing leader and his American wife would lead the British colony into the arms of the Soviet Union.
The documents reveal how British spies kept up intense scrutiny on Cheddi Jagan and his wife Janet, who together founded the People's Progressive party (PPP) to campaign for workers' rights and independence from British rule for the sugar-producing colony in northern South America.
The UK had agreed a new constitution in the early 1950s which allowed British Guiana's political parties to participate in national elections and form a government, but maintained power in the hands of the British-appointed governor.
Christopher Andrew, MI5's official historian, said the files provide new details of the coup and "further evidence that MI5 played a more important part in British decolonisation than is often realised".
The Jagans – a US-educated former dentist and his wife, born Janet Rosenberg in Chicago – seem an unlikely threat.
But the 39 folders of files released by the National Archives are crammed full of tapped phone conversations, intercepted letters and accounts of physical surveillance over more than a decade.
In 1951, the year after the Jagans founded their party, an MI5 agent based on the nearby island of Trinidad described them as "something new in British Guiana politics".
"Both are able and intelligent and the mere fact that Janet Jagan is white, young and not unattractive in appearance lends considerable interest to her activities and those of her husband," he said.
To British authorities, the Jagans were a headache. To the Americans, they were a potential communist threat on America's doorstep.
MI5 concluded that their party was "not receiving any financial support from any communist organisation outside the country".
Nonetheless, amid worsening strikes and unrest, Britain grew unhappy with the Jagans' "disruptive antics".
After the party won a huge majority in British Guiana's 1953 election, making Cheddi Jagan prime minister, Churchill decided to act.
"We ought surely to get American support in doing all that we can to break the communist teeth in British Guiana," he wrote to his colonial secretary.
In the end, Britain acted alone, mounting a military operation codenamed Operation Windsor. Churchill dispatched a warship, HMS Superb, and brought hundreds of troops by air and sea to secure key sites.
On 9 October, Britain suspended British Guiana's constitution, fired its legislators and arrested the Jagans.
The surprise military operation went according to plan. The Trinidad-based MI5 officer noted with quiet satisfaction that "it was obvious that the PPP leaders had no idea that the constitution would be suspended or that they might be arrested".
And the spy threw in a note of thanks for the women who helped the army to march on its stomach.
"I might add in parenthesis that catering arrangements for the airborne troops during their halt in Trinidad were carried out by Mrs Beadon, wife of the commissioner of police, Mrs Rahr, my wife and Joyce Huggins … and I understand that no less than 600 large sandwiches were cut by these ladies," he wrote. [end excerpt]
* "U.S. Electronic Espionage: A Memoir" (1972-08, interview with Perry Fellwock of the NSA, for Ramparts newsmagazine) [archive.is/92xsu] [begin excerpt]: Far less widely known than the CIA, whose Director Richard Helms will occasionally grant public interviews, NSA silently provides an estimated 80 percent of all valid U.S. intelligence. So secret, so sensitive is the NSA mission and so highly indoctrinated are its personnel, that the Agency, twenty years after its creation, remains virtually unknown to those employees outside the intelligence community. The few times its men have been involved in international incidents, NSA's name has been kept out of the papers.
Nevertheless, the first American killed in Vietnam, near what became the main NSA base at Phu Bai, was an NSA operative. And the fact that Phu Bai remains the most heavily guarded of all U.S. bases suggests that an NSA man may well be the last.
The scope of the NSA's global mission has been shrouded in secrecy since the inception of the Agency. [...]
Our informant served as a senior NSA analyst in the Istanbul listening post for over two years. He was a participant in the deadly international fencing match that goes on daily with the Soviet Union, plotting their air and ground forces and penetrating their defenses. He watched the Six Day War unfold and learned of the intentions of the major powers -- Israel, the Soviet Union, the United States, France, Egypt -- by reading their military and diplomatic radio traffic, all of it duly intercepted, de-coded and translated by NSA on the spot. As an expert on NSA missions directed against the Soviet Union and the so-called "Forward Countries" -- Bulgaria, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, East Germany, Rumania and Yugoslavia -- he briefed such visiting dignitaries as Vice President Humphrey. In Indochina he was a senior analyst, military consultant and U.S. Air Force intelligence operations director for North Vietnam, Laos, the northern-most provinces of South Vietnam and China. He is a veteran of over one hundred Airborne Radio Direction Finding missions in Indochina -- making him thoroughly familiar with the "enemy" military structure and its order of battle.
With the benefit of the testimony he provides, we can see that the reason for the relative obscurity of NSA of less to do with its importance within the intelligence community than with the limits of its mission and the way it gets its results. Unlike the CIA, whose basic functions are clearly outlined in the 1947 law that created it, NSA, created in 1952, simply gathers intelligence. It does not formulate policy or carry out operations. Most of the people working for NSA are not "agents," but ordinary servicemen attached to one of three semi-autonomous military cryptologic agencies -- the Air Force Security Service, the largest; the Naval Security Group; and the Army Security Agency, the oldest. But while it is true that the Agency runs no spies as in the popular myth, its systematic Signal Intelligence intercept mission is clearly prohibited by the Geneva Code. What we are dealing with is a highly bureaucratized, highly technological intelligence mission whose breadth and technological sophistication appear remarkable even in an age of imperial responsibilities and electronic wizardry.
So that not a sparrow or a government falls without NSA's instantaneous knowledge, over two thousand Agency field stations dot the five continents and the seven seas. In Vietnam, NSA's airborne flying platforms carrying out top-secret Radar Detection Finding missions, supply U.S. commanders with their most reliable information on the location of communist radio transmitters, and thus on the location of NLF units themselves. Other methods, the use of sensors and seismic detectors, either don't work or are used merely to supplement NSA's results. But the Agency's tactical mission in Indochina, intelligence support for U.S. commanders in the field, however vital to the U.S. war effort, is subsidiary in terms of men, time and material to its main strategic mission. [...]
It was the NSA that found Che Guevara in Bolivia through radio communications intercept and analysis. [...]
Methods have even been devised to "fingerprint" every human voice used in radio transmissions and distinguish them from the voice of every other operator. The Agency's Electronic Intelligence Teams (ELINT) are capable of intercepting any electronic signal transmitted anywhere in the world and, from an analysis of the intercepted signal, identify the transmitter and physically reconstruct it. Finally, after having shown the size and sensitivity of the Agency's big ears, it is almost superfluous to point out that NSA monitors and records every trans-Atlantic telephone call. [...]
What is surprising is that the U.S. systematically violates a treaty of its own making, the UKUSA Agreements of 1947. Under this treaty, the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom and Australia erected a white-anglo-saxon-protestant nation communications intelligence dictatorship over the "Free World." The agreement distinguishes between three categories of intelligence consumers, First, Second, and Third Party consumers. The First Party is the U.S. intelligence community. The Second party refers to the other white anglo-saxon nations' communications intelligence agencies; i.e. Great Britain's GCHQ, Canada's CBNRC, etc. These agencies exchange information routinely. Non-WASP nations, the so-called Third Party nations, are placed on short intelligence rations. This category includes all NATO allies -- West Germany, France, Italy, as well as South Vietnam, Japan, Thailand and the non-WASP allies in SEATO. But the idea of a closed club of gentlemanly white men gets quickly dispelled when we learn that the U.S. even intercepts the radio communications of its Second Party UKUSA "allies." From the U.S. military base at Chicksands, for example, and from the U.S. Embassy in London, NSA operatives busily intercept and transcribe British diplomatic traffic and send it off for further analysis to DIRNSA. [end excerpt]
* "The Puzzle Palace: A Report on America's Most Secret Agency" book (1983, by James Bamford):
- chapter 8: "Partners" [archive.is/GQIhF]
- chapter 9: "Competition" [archive.is/if2S0]
- chapter 10: "Abyss" [archive.is/rTzVE]
* "Somebody's listening... and they don't give a damn about personal privacy or commercial confidence. Project 415 is a top-secret new global surveillance system. It can tap into a billion calls a year in the UK alone. Inside Duncan Campbell on how spying entered the 21st century...." (1988-08-12, New Statesman newsmagazine) [archive.is/DIJfA]
* "Eavesdropping on Europe" (1998-09-30, wired.com) [archive.is/R6PBb]
* "Did EU Scuttle Echelon Debate?" (1998-10-05, wired.com) [archive.is/4VuNR]
* "Spying on the Spies" (1998-10-27, wired.com) [archive.is/S9uBS]
* "Big Brother Taps the Bitstream" (1999-04-07, wired.com) [archive.is/Q4aAu]
* "ECHELON Was My Baby: Ekstra Bladet meets former Echelon spy. In spite of illness and angst, she now reveals how illegal political surveillance was carried out", interview w. Margaret Newsham (1999-11-17, Ekstra Bladet newspaper) [is.gd/vsKIs6]
* "The Minister for The Defence Admits" (1999-09-27, Ekstra Bladet newspaper) [is.gd/lCNW2X]
* "Jam Echelon Day" (1999-10, echelon.wiretapped.net), original press release [archive.is/tuoJq], resource page [archive.is/PyxeI], including an extensive list of archived links.
* "Hackers Ascend Upper 'Echelon' " (1999-10-06, wired.com) [archive.is/1NvLM] [begin excerpt] On 21 October, Thompson, along with Doug McIntosh, a reporter for the federation's news service, and members of the hacktivism mailing list community, invite anyone concerned about the system to append a list of intriguing words to their emails. Specifically, they suggest the following keywords: FBI CIA NSA IRS ATF BATF DOD WACO RUBY RIDGE OKC OKLAHOMA CITY MILITIA GUN HANDGUN MILGOV ASSAULT RIFLE TERRORISM BOMB DRUG HORIUCHI KORESH DAVIDIAN KAHL POSSE COMITATUS RANDY WEAVER VICKIE WEAVER SPECIAL FORCES LINDA THOMPSON SPECIAL OPERATIONS GROUP SOG SOF DELTA FORCE CONSTITUTION BILL OF RIGHTS WHITEWATER POM PARK ON METER ARKANSIDE IRAN CONTRAS OLIVER NORTH VINCE FOSTER PROMIS MOSSAD NASA MI5 ONI CID AK47 M16 C4 MALCOLM X REVOLUTION CHEROKEE HILLARY BILL CLINTON GORE GEORGE BUSH WACKENHUT TERRORIST TASK FORCE 160 SPECIAL OPS 12TH GROUP 5TH GROUP SF [end excerpt]
* "Monitor This, Echelon" (1999-10-22, wired.com) [archive.is/A7wlJ]
* "What are those words that trigger Echelon? We'll tell you" (2001-05-31, theregister.co.uk) [archive.is/uT6DY]
* "New Echelon Disclosures" (2000-03-27, thenewamerican.com) [archive.is/cIRGT]
* "Ex-Head of CIA Says Spying on Europe Justified" (2000-03-29, The Scotsman newspaper, scotsman.com), original link [scotsman.com/cgi-bin/t3.cgi/taf/headlines.taf?function=detail&Scotsman_uid1=TS00027911&desk=World&cat=world&sec=8], [begin excerpt]: The former Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) director James Woolsey has admitted that the US-led Echelon spy network secretly collects information on European companies. "Spying on Europe is justified," Mr Woolsey said in an interview with Le Figaro yesterday. He denied, however, that the United States was giving secret information collected from European companies to their US competitors. Mr Woolsey said the United States was spying only on certain companies that violated United Nations sanctions or that participated in bribery in order to gain more business.
Echelon includes the US, Britain, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. It was set up at the beginning of the Cold War in 1947 and gradually grew to include a network of surveillance-interception stations spread across the globe. [end excerpt]
* "US Spying Pays Off Big For American Business" (2000-04-14, by Robert Windrem, NBC News), original link [msnbc.com/news/394993.asp], re-posted at [archive.is/5Rrt1]
* "CIA patching ECHELON shortcomings; Relax, it's for your own good, and the sake of your children" (2001-03-06, theregister.co.uk) [archive.is/Mtr9J]
* "EU releases Echelon spying report: It exists and the UK has a lot of explaining to do" (2001-09-06, theregister.co.uk) [archive.is/GPULe]
* "This is how we know Echelon exists European Parliament report" (2001-09-14, theregister.co.uk) [archive.is/nxGiy]
* "Report on the existence of a global system for the interception of private and commercial communications (ECHELON interception system) - Temporary Committee on the ECHELON Interception System" (2001-07-12, Temporary committee on the Echelon interception system, EU Parliament), docket page [archive.is/BjSDp], full session document (.pdf) [is.gd/RaoiIF], text [archive.is/MRXi5]
* "Scientific and Technological Options Assessment: An Appraisal of Technologies of Political Control" (1998-01-06, European Parliament) [archive.is/6t2G1]
* "Scientific and Technological Options Assessment: Development of Surveillance Technology and Risk of Abuse of Economic Information" (1999-10, European Parliament) pg. 1 [archive.is/YyzOB], pg. 2 [archive.is/I28rP], pg. 3 [archive.is/WUsFc], pg. 4 (.zip) [is.gd/Qmh5rw]
* "The bugging of the APEC in Seattle" (1997-09-15, insightmag.com) pg. 1 [archive.is/EcB3G], pg. 2 [archive.is/kPfIu], pg. 3 [archive.is/NAy9V]
* "More APEC revelations; Intelligence files confirm that nabbing of anti-APEC organizer was stage-managed to occur just before APEC Summit to prevent protest; Charges and arrests requested "with a view of eliminating" anti-APEC organizers; Documents also reveal that Vancouver's activist community was the target of surveillance by a "Strike Force" months before APEC" (1998-09-18, ainfos.ca) [archive.is/YBWjR]
* Echelonwatch Event Highlights (2000-02, aclu.org/echelonwatch/index.html) [http://web.archive.org/web/20000229143700/http://www.aclu.org/echelonwatch/index.html]
* "Echelon Watch" (cyber-rights.org), home page retrieved in chronological order (2000-08-15) [archive.is/lj4J8], (2004-07-26) [archive.is/9x4x9], (2013-07-05) [archive.is/n9oUd]
* "ECHELON in Dominica: All the notes on my investigation", initial discovery [archive.is/5K1dH], original report (posted 2001-07) pg. 1 [archive.is/U4RqK], pg. 2 [archive.is/Yh8R7], revised versions (retrieved 2001-12) [archive.is/Bc6Pe], (retrieved 2004-09) [archive.is/4g9k1], (retrieved 2008-07) [archive.is/vfRPq]
* "ECHELON: America's Secret Global Surveillance Network" (1999, Patrick S. Poole) [archive.is/TW97M]
* "ECHELON Online Surveillance" (1998-02-21, fire.net.nz/echelon.htm) [archive.is/mFsPb]
from the Committee to
FREE 'EM ALL!
End the Drug War! Stop Jim Crow! Close the Torture Chambers! [solitarywatch.com] [facebook.com/incarceratedworkers] [supportprisonerresistance.noblogs.org] [denverabc.wordpress.com] [prisonlegalnews.org] [prisonbooks.info] [nycabc.wordpress.com] [powmedicaljustice.com] [sacprisonersupport.wordpress.com]. Become a Human Rights Pen Pal! [link].
* "In 'Tacit Admission' of Cruelty, DHS Says It Too May End For-Profit Prisons; 'Private immigration detention facilities are inconsistent with international human rights standards' " (2016-08-29, commondreams.org) [archive.is/JHvgD]
* "DHS to review private immigration detention facilities, consider closures" (2016-08-30, rt.com) [archive.is/gL8Je]
* "Court Rules for Prisoners in Challenge to Secretive Federal Prison Units; Decision Reinstates Lawsuit Over Communications Management Units" (2016-08-19, ccrjustice.org) [archive.is/Lq4uy]
* "Upcoming Hunger Strike: END Solitary Confinement and Inhumane Treatment in Santa Clara Co. Jails" (2016-08-29, prisonerhungerstrikesolidarity.wordpress.com) [archive.is/oF1L2] [begin excerpt]: Please read and spread the below statement from people in solitary confinement in Santa Clara County, California, announcing their upcoming hunger strike to begin Oct 17, 2016 and clearly explaining their human and civil rights demands behind the strike.
ACT IN SOLIDARITY by sharing the prisoners’ words, putting pressure on the Santa Clara County Sheriff during the strike (phone numbers provided in the statement), writing letters to the editor, and paying attention to further statements from the Prisoner Human Rights Movement in Santa Clara County Jails.
Prisoners’ Statement/Open Letter:
All the respect across the board! Now onto the following at hand.
The following will consist of an open letter addressed to all prisoners contained within all three facilities of Santa Clara County Jail, in regards to a peaceful protest in the form of an
organized hunger strike.
First off, allow us to stress the fact that by no means is this to be considered an attempt to promote or beneﬁt any form of gang, nor is this to be considered gang activity. This letter and its request/call for action is an attempt to enlighten and remain inclusive regardless of race, creed, or color of top/shirt due to classiﬁcation. The content of this letter does not simply pertain to any one group segment, nor any isolated issue, but instead it pertains to all prisoners within the three facilities of Santa Clara County Jail.
We all have a stake at hand, and we all serve to beneﬁt from any success that may transpire as a result of our collective efforts. Therefore, it is important that we try and visualize the impact and full potential of strength and power behind our force as united prisoners for a valid purpose and common beneﬁcial interest. With this in mind, we are now reaching out to all like-minded prisoners who are willing and interested in banding together in a united stance of solidarity under the name of Prisoners’ Human Rights Movement (P.H.R.M.) in order to bring about real meaningful forms of change.
Our chances of success will be greatly increased and will largely depend on our willingness to step up and participate in one form or another. Some positive changes within these facilities have been made due to litigation, the assistance of Prison Law Ofﬁce, Silicon Valley De-Bug and other helpful agencies. But we must also be willing to help ourselves as it is actually us, the prisoner population, who have the most to gain.
Aside from preparation and unity, proper timing is also a key component to our success. These facilities along with Sheriff Laurie Smith are currently under heavy legal pressure and community scrutiny. Therefore we must recognize this opportunity in order to truly seize the moment. As brieﬂy mentioned, our goal is to bring about meaningful, long-standing forms of change by shedding light on and challenging the misuse of authority and abuse of discretion within the administration which translates to violations as well as harsh and unfair conditions for us prisoners. [end excerpt]
articles recommended by the
SAN PABLO BAY ECOLOGICAL PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION
Campaigns, info, and more [SanPabloBayEPA.blogspot.com]. Science [discardstudies.com]. [blog.savesfbay.org]
* "Explosion rocks California’s largest oil refinery, investigation underway" (2016-08-27, rt.com) [archive.is/a8CDG]
* "Terrifying beauty: 8,000 new lakes in Antarctica alarm scientists" (2016-08-25, rt.com) [archive.is/OW6J6]
* "Lawsuit Launched to Speed Endangered Species Act Protection for 417 Species Endangered Wildlife Continue to Wait Years for Protection, Increasing Extinction Risk" (2016-08-23, biologicaldiversity.org) [archive.is/TG041]
* "Our National Parks face perils on their centennial" (2016-08-22, peoplesworld.org) [archive.is/gcmsi]
SAN PABLO BAY EPA: Health and the Human Ecology
Monopolists enforce a regime that does not recognize the natural right to health and life. Info [detoxproject.org].
* "Govt Exposed For Forcing Foster Kids, Even Toddlers To Take Dangerous Psychotropic Drugs" (2016-08-28, by Justin Gardner) [archive.is/OUsMf]
* "General Mills Sued Regarding Weed Killer In Nature Valley Granola Bars" (2016-08-26, by Catherine Frompovich) [archive.is/KlNfP]
* "Non Profits Sue General Mills for False and Misleading Use of ‘Natural’ ; Tests Reveal Nature Valley Products Contain Glyphosate, an Ingredient in Monsanto’s Roundup" (2016-08-25, organicconsumers.org) [archive.is/ftojU]
* "New Study Underscores Health Dangers of Fracking; Third Johns Hopkins health study of Pennsylvanian residents near fracking wells adds to evidence that fracking is unsafe" (2016-08-25, statement by Wenonah Hauter, Executive Director, Food & Water Watch, fwwatch.org) [archive.is/2EI7e]
SAN PABLO BAY EPA: Save The Birds [link]! and the Bees [link]!
A campaign to preserve and expand the habitat and populations of pollinators in the San Pablo Bay Area.
* "With New Rules, Minnesota Leads the Country in Protecting Pollinators from Pesticides; Due to state & federal loophole, bee-harming seed coatings unaffected by state’s decision" (2016-08-26, panna.org) [archive.is/KOLAU]
* " ‘Like it’s been nuked’: Millions of bees dead after South Carolina sprays for Zika mosquitoes" (2016-09-01, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/x7qYR]
Jeremy M. writes: I just researched the pesticide, Naled, on the EPA site. All kinds of blather about how to choose spraying times so bees aren't killed, and how beekeepers can protect their hives by keeping bees in and covering them, and how it disperses rapidly so there should be no problem. Tell that to Summerville. Oh, also an admonition that it's not really effective on the aedes egypti mosquito (the one carrying Zika) because they breed in such small bits of water, often indoors or under cover so the spray doesn't reach them. Estimated effectiveness on aedes mosquitoes? 20-30%. Seems close to 100% on bees though.
* "Gov. Scott’s undisclosed interest – via First Lady – in Zika mosquito control company" (2016-08-17, floridabulldog.org) [archive.is/IGwTq] [begin excerpt]: Florida Gov. Rick Scott has an undisclosed financial interest in a Zika mosquito control company in which his wife, Florida First Lady Ann Scott, owns a multi-million dollar stake through a private investment firm she co-owns.
The company is Mosquito Control Services LLC of Metairie, LA. According to its web site, MCS “is a fully-certified team of mosquito control experts – licensed throughout the Gulf Coast, including Louisiana, Georgia, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida.”
On June 23, Gov. Scott signed an executive order allocating $26.2 million in state emergency funds for Zika preparedness, including “mosquito surveillance and abatement, training for mosquito control technicians and enhanced laboratory capacity.” [end excerpt]
articles recommended by the
NO NUKES! campaign
[StopNuclearDeath.blogspot.com] [nuclear-news.net] [nukeresister.org] [nukefree.org]
* "14 arrested for smuggling irradiated seafood in Shandong" (2016-08-23, globaltimes.cn) [archive.is/srkZm]: Customs authorities in Qingdao, East China's Shandong Province, detained 14 people for smuggling frozen seafood from Japan, including irradiated high-end seafood from waters near Fukushima prefecture, China Central Television (CCTV) reported on Monday.
The group has smuggled over 5,000 tons of frozen seafood - including shrimp and king crab - valued at 230 million yuan ($34.5 million) into China over the past two years, according to an announcement by the Qingdao Customs District (QCD) posted on its official website on Monday.
Some of the high-end products were from Fukushima, one of 12 Japanese prefectures from which China has banned any seafood imports due to the contamination of their waters after the Fukushima nuclear accident in 2011, according to CCTV.
Before sending the products to Shandong, smugglers transferred the seafood from Hokkaido to Vietnam, where they changed the items' packaging and altered their production dates to evade taxes and avoid quarantine, Li Fudong of the QCD Anti-Smuggling Department told CCTV.
An investigation by officers from the Anti-Smuggling Department in the neighboring city of Yantai traced some low-priced seafood on the local market to a Shandong-based import corporation that had opened branches in East China's Fujian Province, South China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region and Northeast China's Liaoning Province.
Qingdao preventive officers arrested the smuggling group's head in June after he returned to China from the US.
Most of the smuggled seafood products were sold in Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou, Shandong-based dzwww.com reported.
An expert from a tissue engineering and regenerative medicine research center who asked for anonymity told the Global Times on Monday that radioactive nuclear materials can cause irreversible damage to the human body at the cellular level. The expert said such radiation can even damage our DNA and may be present in the body for many years before symptoms occur.
She said that remaining nuclear material may still affect sea life in the waters surrounding the Fukushima site, even though five years have passed since the nuclear accident.
articles recommended by the
SAN PABLO BAY SOVEREIGNTY Think-tank
* "First Hemp Crop Planted In Maine; Step Toward Nullifying Federal Prohibition" (2016-08-22, by Mike Maharrey) [archive.is/bhMtb]
* "Washington Tells DEA To Shove It, Will Conduct Cannabis Research In Violation Of The Law" (2016-08-27, by Justin Gardner) [archive.is/JoqEq]
* "Private Disaster Relief In Louisiana Outperforms The Government — Lives And Property Saved" (2016-08-26, by Matt Agorist) [archive.is/REqkG]
ANIMAL RIGHTS: Save the Whales!
* "New Oceana Animated Maps Show Dolphins and Whales Threatened by Seismic Airgun Blasting in Atlantic Ocean; Despite Widespread Opposition and Recent Decision to Protect Atlantic from Offshore Drilling, Seismic Airgun Permits Still Being Pursued" (2016-08-24, oceana.org) [archive.is/4YlIb] (related photos showing North Atlantic Right Whales):
Oceana is the largest international ocean conservation and advocacy organization. Oceana works to protect and restore the world’s oceans through targeted policy campaigns.
Today, Oceana released new animated maps showing dolphins and whales threatened by proposed seismic airgun blasting in the Atlantic Ocean. The maps, which are based on groundbreaking research from Duke University’s Marine Geospatial Ecology Lab, draw from 23 years of data to show us the density of bottlenose dolphins, and endangered fin, humpback and sperm whales overlaid with the current seismic airgun permit application area, over the course of a year.
To access the animated maps and more information about proposed seismic airgun blasting in the Atlantic, please visit [oceana.org/BlastZone].
Despite the recent decision to protect the Atlantic Ocean from offshore drilling [archive.is/ifZfW] , seismic airgun blasting, an extremely loud and dangerous process used to search for oil and gas deposits deep below the ocean floor, is still being pursued in an area twice the size of California, stretching from Delaware to Florida. According to government estimates, seismic airgun blasting could injure as many as 138,000 whales and dolphins, while disturbing millions more.
“These maps confirm what we’ve long feared, that dolphins and whales along the East Coast are at risk from dangerous seismic airgun blasting for oil and gas,” said Claire Douglass, campaign director at Oceana. “Hearing that whales and dolphins could be injured is one thing, but seeing the scale of the threat is another. President Obama should stop seismic airgun blasting and protect our coast.”
In recent months, opposition to seismic airgun blasting has continued to grow. New bipartisan letters from more than 150 state representatives in Delaware, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia were recently sent to President Obama urging him to oppose these activities in the Atlantic Ocean. In early July, 15 coastal mayors in South Carolina made headlines when they sent a similar letter to the Obama administration, view letter (.pdf) [is.gd/mcrSsq]. New legislation has also been introduced in Congress aimed at protecting the Atlantic from such activities. The Atlantic Seismic Airgun Protection (ASAP) Act [archive.is/M6CIL], which is led by Sens. Cory Booker (D-NJ) and Robert Menendez (D-NJ) in the Senate and Reps. Don Beyer (D-VA) and Frank LoBiondo (R-NJ) in the House, would establish a moratorium on geological and geophysical activities related to dangerous oil and gas exploration along the East Coast.
“We already know that the noise from seismic airguns is especially concerning for marine life, including fish, turtles, whales and dolphins, which depend on sound for communication and survival,” said Dr. Ingrid Biedron, marine scientist at Oceana. “The noise from these blasts is so loud that it can be heard up to 2,500 miles from the source, which is approximately the distance from Washington, DC to Las Vegas. These animated maps clearly show that marine life, including dolphins and whales, would be profoundly impacted by the proposed seismic blasting.”
Last year, 75 leading marine scientists sent a letter (.pdf) [is.gd/6pe6o5] to President Obama on the impacts of seismic airgun blasting in the Atlantic Ocean, stating that “the magnitude of the proposed seismic activity is likely to have significant, long-lasting, and widespread impacts on the reproduction and survival of fish and marine mammal populations in the region, including the critically endangered North Atlantic right whale, of which approximately only 500 remain.”
To date, more than 115 East Coast municipalities, over 1,100 elected officials, roughly 1,100 business interests, including 25 business associations and chambers of commerce, and fishing interests such as the Mid- and South Atlantic Fishery Management Councils, The Billfish Foundation, The International Game Fish Association, the Southern Shrimp Alliance and the Southeastern Fisheries Association, have all publically opposed offshore drilling and/or seismic airgun use [archive.is/B8V8k]. Each has cited threats to marine life, coastal communities and local economies. Along the Atlantic coast, nearly 1.4 million jobs and over $95 billion in gross domestic product rely on healthy ocean ecosystems, mainly through fishing, tourism and recreation.
UNITED STATES FASCISM WATCH
Documenting the process of fascism and for whom it benefits. [UnitedStatesFascism.blogspot.com] [exposefacts.org]
* "Wall Street’s Protection Racket: Mandatory Arbitration" (2016-08-23, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/s01EY]
* "Debt Collectors Get Away With Daylight Robbery; The GOP is known for being tough on crime—except when it's padding their pockets" (2016-08-24, by Jim Hightower) [archive.is/1N4Qm]
* "Louisiana Climate-Deniers Who Refused Sandy Victims Now Want Federal Flood Relief; Hypocrisy of lawmakers on display following disaster" (2016-08-23, commondreams.org) [archive.is/Zc3cQ]
* "No, it's not Baghdad. It's an American city" [archive.is/UB952] [begin excerpt]: It’s midnight in the neighborhood and arson fire is the only source of light.
Here, city hall has gone bust, emergency services have disappeared… and even the basics of water, power and public education aren’t guaranteed. The people must fend for themselves.
Where is this place? Haiti, Afghanistan or a bombed-out section of Baghdad?
No, it’s Detroit. Where the American dream was born 50 years ago… and where it went to die…
At its height, Motown had about 1.8 million people. It had the strongest middle class in the world. Hardworking people who earned the highest average household income and managed to buy their homes at a higher rate than anywhere else in the country. Detroit was the beating heart of our nation’s industrial might.
Today, it’s the bleeding heart of the rust belt.
Barely 700,000 people remain. Thousands of homes abandoned, entire communities gone feral. People left without any options but to try to survive.
Could this be the sign of what’s in store for this once great nation?
Because while Detroit is the most explicit example, it’s not the only one. Cities across the land have declared bankruptcy. Many more should have by now… and likely will soon enough. Puerto Rico has lost its war with debt.
What happens when the massive debt owed at the city, state and federal level finally crushes us?
If history is any guide, they’re going to come after you to pay the bills. They’ve spent years training for it. They know where we keep our money and have the ability to freeze it at any moment unless you take action to protect yourself. [end excerpt]
Among others, the billionaire Koch Brothers have been funding public-sector and private-sector educational institutions with instructions to train graduates in "right-wing" economics and rhetoric. A classic example of this is the over-use by some college economic professors of the legitimacy of comparing a government budget with a family budget...
(Comment by Cranford C.): People who don't know the difference between household economics and macro-economics are dangerous, deceitful or stupid, and should not be involved in federal government.
USA FASCISM: "Libertarianism & Constitutionalism" to benefit private bureaucracies
[alibertarianfuture.com] [fff.org] [mises.org]
Concerning the ideology of the Libertarian Party USA -
* "Top 10 Libertarian Lies; They don’t hate government or love freedom, and their propaganda sucks" (2016-07-04, medium.com) [archive.is/aI3dF]
Self-identified "Libertarians" who are culturally conservative White American Nationalists include militants planning cultural cleansing -
* "Sandy Hook truther charged with plotting mass shooting to protect 2nd Amendment from ‘f*ggots’ " (2016-08-26, rawstory.com) [archive.is/yRMUO]
Upper-class "Libertarians" push their money off-shore, followed by themselves, into sovereign enclaves -
* "Globalism Is A Barbaric Relic – Voluntary Tribalism Is The Future" (2016-08-23, by Brandon Smith) [archive.is/JHBP4]
* "The crypto-libertarians using technology to undermine the nation-state" (2016-05-24, telegraph.co.uk) [archive.is/OEsYW]
* "Off Grid Floating Home – Travel the World in a Jet Capsule" (2016, thehomestead.guru) [is.gd/HKEJ0o]
* "This floating UFO home lets you live off-grid on the ocean" (2016-05-16, sciencealert.com) [archive.is/4am8Z]
* Company webpage [archive.is/DR3EJ], Promotional video [is.gd/kPX8Nq]
USA FASCISM: Dominionism & the "Prosperity Gospel"
* "Anti-Gay Pastor Who Cheered Killing Of Pulse Victims Just Got Arrested For Child Molestation" (2016-08-26, addictinginfo.org) [archive.is/afl23]
* "What the Hell? Satan worship on rise in America" (2016-08-29, rt.com) [archive.is/GyIby] [begin excerpt]: The Satanic Temple (TST) is a fairly new organization. Founded in 2013, it fights for political change by pointing out the ostensibly preferential treatment Christianity enjoys in politics. TST has seven chapters in the USA and Europe, and claims a membership of 100,000.
One of the group's objectives is to embed Lucifer in the public school system by establishing afternoon clubs, adoringly dubbed “After School Satan”, which is TST’s response to a Supreme Court ruling allowing evangelical programs to operate in schools.
Currently nine clubs are listed under the program, including in Los Angeles, Salt Lake City and Washington DC. The clubs will focus on “rationalism, free inquiry … and fun”, according to a promotional video.
TST itself emphasizes that it seeks to implement “After School Satan” in locations where active Christian children’s clubs operate.
TST said it is “not interested in operating After School Satan clubs in school districts that are not already hosting the Good News Club.”
The Temple is attempting to present a challenge to the Good News Club, an interdenominational Christian program for five to 12-year-olds, operating in over 3,500 public schools across the country.
The Christian club’s curriculum was designed by the Child Evangelism Fellowship and includes Bible studies and workshops.
A spokesperson for TST, Lucien Greaves, said the controversial clubs will give children other alternatives than the Good News Club, which he claimed instills children “with a fear of Hell and God’s wrath.” [end excerpt]
USA FASCISM: Military State
* "How Veterans Are Losing the War at Home; Making America Pain-Free for Plutocrats and Big Pharma, But Not Vets" (2016-08-25, by Ann Jones, intro by tomdispatch.com) [archive.is/ZwJ49]
* "In Afghanistan, Defense Contractors Outnumber U.S. Troops 3 to 1; There are nearly 29,000 DOD contractors in Afghanistan" (2016-08-19, alternet.org) [archive.is/M6KWi]
* "U.S. Army fudged its accounts by trillions of dollars, auditor finds" (2016-08-19, Reuters Newswire) [archive.is/5SXSY]
* "Gambling with the gov’t’s dime: Pentagon employees used work credit cards at casinos, strip clubs" (2016-08-30, rt.com) [archive.is/SzTPI]
* "Classified Evidence: US Soldiers Raped Boys In Front Of Their Mothers; Now, over a decade later the evidence of these events are beginning to surface, but the Department of Defense is still doing their best to keep it under the radar" (2014-12-19, mintpressnews.com) [archive.is/wwAN8]
* " 'I didn't think of Iraqis as humans,' says U.S. soldier who raped 14-year-old girl before killing her and her family; Steven Dale launches appeal against five life sentences because he was tried in civilian court; He says warzone sent him crazy and deaths of two colleagues had 'messed me up real bad' " (2010-12-21, dailymail.co.uk) [archive.is/Q7meZ]
The glorification of "service" masks a tendency to disregard the real-world ipact such service does against veterans and their victims.
USA FASCISM: Two Party Dictatorship
* "The Socialist Critique – What It Is and Why We Need It" (2016-08-24, ivn.us) [archive.is/DVzUW]
* "Politics of Fear: Major Parties Turn Up Scare Tactics to Keep Voters from Defecting" (2016-08-08, ivn.us) [archive.is/k9FIs]
* "Lawsuit: Ending Two-Party Duopoly over Debates Will Lead to More Competitive Elections" (2016-08-11, ivn.us) [archive.is/o1AGS]
* "Electing to Ignore the Poorest of the Poor" (2015-11-17, nytimes.com) [archive.is/o89b5]
* "Clinton’s Transition Team: A Corporate Presidency Foretold" (2016-08-22, by Norman Solomon, commondreams.org) [archive.is/Vw8Yf]
* "It Takes a Ruling-Class Village to Staff the White House" (2016-08-28, truthdig.com) [archive.is/bp9Hn]
* "The Scourge of Neoliberalism: Why the Democratic Party Is Failing the Poor" (2016-08-22, by Jake Johnson, commondreams.org) [archive.is/wWtzA]
* Photo caption: Lloyd Blankfein, chairman and CEO of Goldman Sachs, is greeted by former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton at a panel discussion titled “Equality for Girls and Women: 2034 Instead of 2134?” The event was held by the Clinton Global Initiative in New York in September of 2014.
* "Shawn Lucas Cause of Death Still Unknown as Clinton’s Campaign Lawyer Tries to Move DNC Lawsuit into the Weeds" (2016-08-26, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/AXP9A]
* "With Voting Rights at Risk Across US, International Monitors Called to Help; 'A confluence of factors has made the right to vote more vulnerable to racial discrimination than at any time in recent history,' says civil rights coalition" (2016-08-23, commondreams.org) [archive.is/BE2OS]
* "Civil and Human Rights Coalition Calls for More International Election Monitors in U.S. Presidential Election" (2016-08-23, civilrights.org) [archive.is/GSlSl]
* "The GOP's Stealth War Against Voters; Will an anti-voter-fraud program designed by one of Trump's advisers deny tens of thousands their right to vote in November?" (2016-08-23, rollingstone.com) [archive.is/12cA8]
* "Is Bernie Sanders' Our Revolution over before it even began? Over half of the organization’s staff quit over disapproval of appointed leadership and potential to solicit large donations, contradicting Sanders’ grassroots ethos" (2016-08-26, theguardian.com) [archive.is/sRQLD]
* Adapted from the original at [archive.is/GZrcq]:
* "Department of Homeland Security Has Surprise for Bernie Supporters at DNC Lawsuit Hearing" (2016-08-29, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/qLlNq]
* "TWITTER MOCKS THE F*CK OUT OF TRUMP AFTER VIDEO OF HIS YUGE RALLY LIE SURFACES (TWEETS)" (2016-08-24, winningdemocrats.com) [archive.is/SWLkE]
USA FASCISM: State Media Watch
Documenting propaganda issued by the monopolist media and members of the state security regime that uphold the economic dictatorship, imperialist wars, and the "New Jim Crow" regime [mediamatters.org]
* "Media Worried Too Many Americans Will Question Legitimacy Of 2016 Election" (2016-08-23, by Nick Bernabe) [archive.is/LMVRs]
* "Donald Trump Is Going To Be Elected" (2016-08-21, huffingtonpost.com) [archive.is/yiAua] [begin excerpt]: Donald Trump is going to be elected president.
The American people voted for him a long time ago.
They voted for him when The History Channel went from showing documentaries about the Second World War to “Pawn Stars” and “Swamp People.”
They voted for him when The Discovery Channel went from showing “Lost Treasures of the Yangtze Valley” to “Naked and Afraid.”
They voted for him when The Learning Channel moved from something you could learn from to “My 600-lb Life.”
They voted for him when CBS went from airing “Harvest of Shame” to airing “Big Brother.”
These networks didn’t make these programming changes by accident. They were responding to what the American people actually wanted. And what they wanted was “Naked and Afraid” and “Duck Dynasty.”
The polls may show that Donald Trump is losing to Hillary Clinton, but don’t you believe those polls. When the AC Nielsen Company selects a new Nielsen family, they disregard the new family’s results for the first three months. The reason: when they feel they are being monitored, people lie about what they are watching. In the first three months, knowing they are being watched, they will tune into PBS. But over time they get tired of pretending. Then it is back to the Kardashians.
The same goes for people who are being asked by pollsters for whom they are voting. They will not say Donald Trump. It is too embarrassing. But the truth is, they like Trump. He is just like their favorite shows on TV. [end excerpt]
* "Diane Ravitch to Readers: Don't Let Charter Industry Silence John Oliver; Oliver was targeted by privatizers after criticizing charter schools in a segment of his HBO show" (2016-08-25, commondreams.org) [archive.is/UutXy]
* "Shhh! Don’t Tell the New York Times that S&P Earnings Have Declined for 5 Quarters" (2016-08-25, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/Y10gY]
The State is managed in the interests of security for the market regime and economic dictators use their leverage to censor "alternative media", with their influence over domestic and transnational security agencies, or in an individual effort in concert with particular judges...
* "Don’t Mess With Soros: DCLeaks Website And Twitter Taken Down" (2016-08-28, Kurt Nimmo) [archive.is/vYEQT]
* "Gawker Was Murdered by Gaslight" (2016-08-22, gawker.com) [archive.is/64EpU] [begin excerpt]: A lie with a billion dollars behind it is stronger than the truth. Peter Thiel has shut down Gawker.com.
This is the final act in what Thiel wished to present, and succeeded in presenting, as a simple and ancient morality play, a story of hubris meeting its punishment. The premise behind that morality play was, as Thiel wrote in space given him by the New York Times last week [archive.is/ohH2J], that “cruelty and recklessness were intrinsic parts of Gawker’s business model.” The $140 million judgment that his lawyers secured for Hulk Hogan against Gawker Media, sending the company into a bankruptcy from which its flagship site would not emerge, was a matter of “proving that there are consequences for violating privacy.”
The Times didn’t really need to give Thiel the space in the opinion section to tell his story of the wages of recklessness. You could get it directly from the Times’ own reporters in the news pages. “Gawker’s take-no-prisoners approach has...been to its detriment,” the business section reported [archive.is/AYrao]. Gawker was, the Styles section wrote [archive.is/vydIM], “a place where too many of the articles published were not only mean but inconsequential.”
The message is that Gawker had this coming, that the site was—to some degree, depending on how sympathetic the writer is trying to pose as being—responsible for its own downfall. By now it is conventional wisdom. That conventional wisdom is false.
Gawker.com is out of business because one wealthy person maliciously set out to destroy it, spending millions of dollars in secret, and succeeded. That is the only reason. [end excerpt]
* "Was Paul Weiss an Appropriate Law Firm to Investigate Sex Charges Against Roger Ailes?" (2016-08-24, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/Z4FhF] [begin excerpt]: On Monday, Andrea Tantaros, a Fox News host, became the latest in a growing drumbeat of voices charging Fox News with tolerating and condoning a hostile work environment for women that “operates like a sex-fueled, Playboy Mansion-like cult, steeped in intimidation, indecency, and misogyny,” according to the lawsuit Tantaros filed in New York State Supreme Court (.pdf) [is.gd/hqeIHS].
Tantaros charges in the lawsuit that she was sexually harassed by Roger Ailes, who recently stepped down as Fox News CEO, while he ran an intimidation campaign against her through his public relations department. This is the second lawsuit to be filed against Ailes by Fox News women in as many months. In July, Gretchen Carlson went public with similar charges against Ailes in a high-profile lawsuit. According to the Washington Post, Carlson’s lawyers have received reports from more than 20 women that “they were harassed by Ailes during his long career in television, dating as far back as the mid-1960s.”
One of those women, Laurie Luhn, went on the record with Gabriel Sherman of New York Magazine [archive.is/sq7LI]. Luhn told Sherman that “she had been harassed by Ailes for more than 20 years, that executives at Fox News had known about it and helped cover it up, and that it had ruined her life.” Sherman reported that he was able to independently corroborate key details in Luhn’s account as well as viewing a $3.15 million severance agreement that was paid to Luhn in exchange for “iron-clad nondisclosure provisions.”
“Iron-clad nondisclosure provisions” is the stock and trade of Wall Street powerhouse law firm, Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, which has been handling fraud charges against the serially charged Wall Street bank, Citigroup, for decades. (See our previous report on Paul Weiss here [archive.is/5jUC1].) Paul Weiss was brought into the Ailes matter to conduct an internal investigation by Fox News parent, 21st Century Fox.
Paul Weiss also has a history of being charged with corporate bias in the way it conducts those internal investigations of sexual assault and/or sexual harassment claims. Two such charges have already emerged against Paul Weiss in the Ailes/Fox News matter. On August 2, Lloyd Grove of The Daily Beast reported [archive.is/x5d4s] that an attorney for former Fox News anchor Laurie Dhue had released a statement criticizing Paul Weiss over its internal investigation. [end excerpt]
* (2016-08-26, facebook.com/boots.riley) [archive.is/dzlOX]: I found out today that YES Magazine didn't publish an interview I did with them last year because they thought my views were too radical and they didn't like the "socialist" aspect of my interview.
It's one thing for publication to have an editorial stance, but it's another thing entirely for a magazine to not want their readers to even be exposed to radical ideas.
When a supposedly progressive organization makes a move like this, it's because they only want to see change as long as it doesn't challenge the basis of the capitalist system.
However, the only way we can make real headway against the myriad of problems that magazines like YES claim to deal with is if we actually organize a movement that has a potential to get rid of this economic system and replace it with one in which the people democratically control the wealth that we create with our labor.
Moves like the one that YES Magazine made with me are examples of how the parameters of our conversations are controlled by purse strings. The foundations and larger donors that give to nonprofits like YES Magazine have an interest and making sure movements don't get too radical. When some of the first foundations were being put together in the first half of the 20th century, their stated goal was to make sure that they funded viewpoints that espoused change without getting rid of capitalism or getting too radical.
Unfortunately, places like this are where some radicals and would-be radicals can earn a living. And publications like this are where some on the left get our information about the views of the populace around us and the views that exist in our world. So there's a push to the right from the place that many would least expect.
And there's an obscuring of the actual radical ideas that exist in the community with the goal of putting forward a more liberal agenda. One that says that the electoral process is our only hope. One that says that a movement complaining loud enough is what it takes to force those in power to comply. One that lies to us about the nature of power under capitalism and pushes us away from creating a radical labor movement that could actually shut down industry, not only for wages- those are very important- but for larger issues that affect the community as well.
*"Socialist" is in quotes because that was apparently their word. I'm a communist.
* "Western Media Lies About Syria, Uses Dead Children As Propaganda" (2016-08-23, by Afraa Dagher) [archive.is/yYgEM]
Replace the phrase "Russia" with "USA" in the following article...
* "A Powerful Russian Weapon: The Spread of False Stories" (2016-08-28, nytimes.com) [archive.is/TNt80]
* " ‘Conspiracy, not journalism’: WikiLeaks blasts NYT story on ‘Russian intel’ behind DNC hack" (2016-09-01, rt.com) [archive.is/bsxqz]
* "Was this Ukrainian combat photo staged? Soldiers and photographers think so" (2016-08-26, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/q0wbL]
* "Dramatic viral combat photo from eastern Ukraine ‘clearly staged’ – war photographer to RT" (2016-08-29, rt.com) [archive.is/2yHSp]
* "Exposed: Fake propaganda photo from Donbass war in western media" (2016-08-29, dninews.com) [archive.is/oq9rU]: Faked images leaves usually clear marks from editing. In one of the latest "dramatic" propaganda pictures, which are circulating in Ukrainian and western media, from the war in Donbass, three Ukrainian soldiers are running away from powerful explosion. That's how they want to show it, Ukrainians as victims and targets.
Distorted images affect our views and without careful media critics, one really can believe that DPR army is violating Minsk agreement and threatening civilians in the occupied Donetsk region. It's more than clear, that again the fake picture is meant to send a distorted message to the Ukrainian and western audience, that army of Donetsk People's Republic is using heavy weaponry towards Ukrainian troops and civilian populated areas.
The baby carriage, which is placed in just front of the explosion, reflects viewer's emotions and gathers attention away from other revealing details of the image. The Washington Post published the picture in its tricky propaganda article in 26.8. and asked from its readers, "Was this Ukrainian combat photo staged?"
The answer should be more than obvious for the Washington Post journalist, because certainly photo is staged, its photoshopped. Just another fake in content of western media and done by Ukrainian propaganda machine. Why even to ask such, and by asking, giving wide attention to this worthless propaganda piece, which started circling in social media?
"Dmitry Muravsky, the man who took the picture and an amateur photographer who volunteers with the Ukrainian Ministry of Defense, insists the image is real," wrote The Washington Post.
But how this image could be real, when the sun is clearly shining from two directions in the same picture, and when you zoom to soldiers, you can see several clearly visible traces, that the background of the soldiers has been changed? In the same view you can see an unnatural black line (cut) in the soldier's uniform, which affects to the natural shape of soldiers body equipments, and his uniform. Has The Washington Post gone blind?
So, why the western media didn't want to point out these obvious signs of photo editing, and leaves the decision to your conclusion? Because people see what they are offered to see, and above all, what they want to see: "Soldiers running from an explosion in Shyrokne in eastern Ukraine. June 4 2016."
People's conscience does not have humor. Without clearly showing its a fake, most of the people just see what's shown, and believe what they see without a question. Once again, masses of the west were fed with disastrous propaganda and distorted picture is given from the very different reality of war, the truth, about the situation in Donbass: Its Ukrainians who are shelling the population of Donbass, today - right now.
* "The American Petroleum Institute’s Desperate PR is Failing" (2016-08-26, priceofoil.org) [archive.is/lVm7T]
USA FASCISM: Artificial Poverty and Starvation
* "Children found living in Seattle-area sewer" (2016-08-30, rt.com) [archive.is/lldg9]
* "Monopoly & lobbyists: Research reveals why US drugs are so pricey" (2016-08-26, rt.com) [archive.is/083DM]
* "Harvard Study Finally Admits Drug Prices Are High Because Govt Grants Big Pharma A Monopoly" (2016-08-27, Matt Agorist) [archive.is/oYpix]
* "Lifesaving EpiPen a ‘bargain’ even after 500% price hike ‒ Martin Shkreli" (2016-08-25, rt.com) [archive.is/wSr0z]
WORLD FASCISM WATCH
Documenting the global economic dictatorship
* "Finance is Not the Economy" (2016-08-26, counterpunch.org) [archive.is/k9Qrw]
* "World’s biggest pension fund hit by $52bn loss" (2016-08-26, rt.com) [archive.is/pintl]
* " ‘Toxic levels of arsenic’: Over half of S. Asia groundwater unusable for 750mn people, study says" (2016-08-30, rt.com) [archive.is/AAHWp]
Many monopolist corporations chartered in the USA expect to be above the law of foreign governments.
* "US warns Europe over plan to demand millions in unpaid taxes from Apple US Treasury says investigations into alleged tax avoidance by US companies including Amazon and Starbucks could create ‘unfortunate precedent’ " (2016-08-24, theguardian.com) [archive.is/MtnXo]
* "Washington threatens Brussels over plan to demand billions in unpaid taxes from Apple" (2016-08-25, rt.com) [archive.is/Ka0yC]
* "Smartphone Addiction: The Slot Machine in Your Pocket; Smartphone apps are addictive -- by design. They take advantage of human weaknesses to ensure your constant attention. But there is another way" (2016-07-27, by Tristan Harris, via spiegel.de) [archive.is/e9HrB]
* " 'Good Riddance': Canada's Stephen Harper Bids Adieu to Politics, Hello to Consulting; Former prime minister made resignation announcement Friday" (2016-08-26, commondreams.org) [archive.is/MBmxW]
* "Elite’s unwritten style rules mean brown shoes & loud ties a no-no for banking jobs, study concludes" (2016-09-01, rt.com) [archive.is/BXXLR]
* "London ‘old money’ elite priced out by world’s ‘super rich’ " (2016-09-01, rt.com) [archive.is/afjk7]
The following describes a political situation in England where a billionaire is subsidizing a character assassination against Corbyn, a popular socialist leader...
WORLD FASCISM WATCH: #OPDeathEaters
A study of the personal ideologies and social practices of those who benefit from the global capitalist regime. [WorldFascists.blogspot.com]
* " 'Child sex capital of Britain': Police accused of failing to act on 150 pages of abuse claims" (2016-08-28, rt.com) [archive.is/Cd3sC]
information collected by the
SOLANO PEACE, JUSTICE, AND FREEDOM COALITION
[SolanoPeaceJustice.blogspot.com], for justice, dignity and human rights in accordance with the 1966 International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (.pdf) [is.gd/TftqGs], and an end to the USA's endless wars, in harmony with Principle 1 & 6 of International Law [archive.is/tmncz], the 5 protocols of the Convention on Conventional Weapons (CCW) [archive.is/LhUTj], and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights [archive.is/U1Ota].
* "Opposition to TPP grows as postal workers’ union rallies against deal" (2016-08-25, rt.com) [archive.is/rLdFz]
* "How Obama Is Enabling the Next President to Launch Illegal Wars; If his administration gets its way, it would be even easier for future commanders in chief to take military action without approval from Congress" (2016-08-24, defenseone.com) [archive.is/fNSRm]
* "The One Trillion Dollar War with Absolutely Nothing to Show for it" (2016-08-19, by Joseph Clifford) [archive.is/vB9RV] [begin excerpt]: We have become so accustomed to war we don't even bother to discuss it anymore. The war in Afghanistan has dragged on for almost 15 years, and it is no longer mentioned or discussed on corporate news.
The clown show, sometimes called a presidential race, has been reduced to two candidates, both of whom are hated by the voting public, and neither has raised the issue of Afghanistan once. The candidates have not been asked about it, and neither has spoken about it. It is the silent war that appears to be never ending, but just because it is not discussed does not mean you are not paying for it.
So far the tab is one trillion dollars and rising every day. To most of us a "trillion" dollars is a meaningless figure, because most readers, myself included, cannot relate to a "trillion", but consider this. A trillion dollars looks like this: $1,000,000,000,000, and a billion looks like this: $1,000,000,000. A trillion dollars equals one thousand times a billion, so there are 1,000 billions in a trillion. Still can't relate? How about billions? One billion equals 1,000 million. Still cannot relate. One trillion dollars spread out flat on the ground would cover 4 thousand square miles. If you stacked one trillion dollars in a pile, the pile would be 68,000 miles high.
So what is the point?
What do we have to show for our one trillion-dollar war? What have we accomplished? We have nothing to show, and have accomplished absolutely nothing. NOTHING!!!
The Taliban now controls more land in Afghanistan than ever. US forces cannot venture into the Afghan countryside because they will get killed. The only place in the entire country that is considered under US and Afghan control is the capital city of Kabul, which coincidentally is where the US has its giant embassy with its Green Zone. However, even within Kabul, US troops usually resort to helicopters to get from one section of Kabul to another for fear of getting killed in cars or armored vehicles. [end excerpt]
Creech Air Force Base is the most important center for the United States' illegal and brutal targeted killing operations by drones, and it is where hundreds of children and thousands of others from Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Syria, Libya, Iraq and elsewhere have been murdered remotely under the top command of the CIA and Pentagon. Please join us in creating a peaceful force opposing militarism and barbaric drone killing & surveillance. As of 2016, there are at least 6 countries that have used drones to murder people:
The U.S. (#1), UK, Israel, Pakistan, Nigeria, Iraq....When will it cease?
* "Game of Drones: New type of war crime that's going unpunished" (2016-07-27, RT Documentary) [youtube.com/watch?v=GFw03C4l5UY] includes CODEPINK at Creech, Fall 2015
* "Pink Drones - The Documentary" (2015) [youtube.com/watch?v=vAFi5NbYBZ8], trailer [youtube.com/watch?v=hVB6D2iVb70]
* "Drone Strike Protest Die-in Funeral Procession" [youtube.com/watch?v=ELLzpMLwwAM]
* US Peace Council: "There is No Civil War in Syria, The US is Lying To You"
(2016-08-10, United Nations UN, webtv.un.org), video at [webtv.un.org/watch/bashar-ja’afari-syria-and-us-peace-council-representatives-on-syria-press-conference/5077088426001]
Bashar Ja’afari (Syria) and US Peace Council Representatives on Syria - Press Conference
Press briefing sponsored by the Permanent Representative of the Syrian Arab Republic.
H.E. Bashar Ja’afari, Permanent Representative of the Syrian Arab Republic
Alfred Marder, President of the US Peace Council
Mary Compton, Member of the Executive Board of the US Peace Council
Henry Lowendorf, Member of the Executive Board of the US Peace Council, Head of the Syria Delegation
Joe Jamison, Member of the Executive Board of the US Peace Council, Member of the Syria Delegation
Madelyn Hoffman, Executive Director of New Jersey Peace Action, Member of the Syria Delegation
Donna Nassor, Professor and Lawyer also part of US Peace Council
* "Propaganda for Syrian ‘Regime Change’ ; Neocons and liberal hawks have poured millions of dollars into propaganda to justify “regime change” in Syria and are now desperate to keep the war going until President Hillary Clinton gets a chance to escalate" (2016-08-23, consortiumnews.com) [archive.is/g94By]
* "Russia urges ‘caution’ on UN’s Syria chemical weapons report, will talk to US" (2016-08-25, rt.com) [archive.is/AXiI6]
* "US Triples Special Ops Training Budget for Latin America; U.S. Special Operations Forces are training militaries across the Americas with horrendous human rights records" (2016-08-30, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/uUHV5]: The U.S. military has increased its presence in Latin America in recent years and tripled its budget for training the region's armed forces, according to a new report.
The Washington Office on Latin America, WOLA, published an investigation Tuesday, based on documents from the U.S. State Department, detailing the stepped-up work of U.S. Special Operation Forces in the region.
According to the documents, the U.S. tripled the budget for Special Operations Forces training missions in Latin America between 2007 and 2014. The missions are part of a training program called Joint Combined Exchange Training, JCET. In that seven-year period, the number of missions went from 12 JCETs who trained 560 officers in the region to 36 JCETs training 2,300 officers.
The training budget is now more than US$17 billion each year. By 2015, the U.S. forces carried out missions in 135 out of 196 countries in the world.
These trainings include joint military exercises, teaching Latin American troops combat skills, intelligence gathering and riot control techniques. Meanwhile, the U.S. forces familiarize themselves with the country’s military, terrain, language and culture, according to the documents.
Honduras has the largest number of U.S. missions, with 21, followed by El Salvador, Colombia, the Dominican Republic and Belize.
* "In the Shadow of the CIA: Liberalism’s Big Embarrassing Moment" (2016-08-26, counterpunch.org) [archive.is/bBD4y]:
The death of Warren Hinckle, a journalist long forgotten outside San Francisco, brings back Ramparts magazine’s crowning moment, also one of crucial moments of postwar liberalism. At a stroke, in March, 1967, the presumptions of innocence by purportedly freedom-loving (albeit hawkish) prestigious intellectuals were stripped off. It turned out that the grand banquets and conferences with literary-and-other luminaries, the New York Times-reported cocktail parties, indeed the whole egghead-celebrity thing, was at base a CIA operation called, without irony, the Congress for Cultural Freedom. The list of collaborators was a long one, but Mary McCarthy, Irving Kristol, Leslie Fiedler, Dwight Macdonald, Sidney Hook and the Trillings, Diana and Lionel, among the most famous Americans, with European stars including Isaiah Berlin and Arthur Koestler at the top (Hannah Arendt in both categories). The Partisan Review, Encounter and a considerable stream of literary or quasi-literary journals existed, as it turned out, with the help of intelligence-agency donations.
The operation had been established at the down of the 1950s with CIA executive Cord Meyer, and a youngish intellectual very much in the news, Arthur Schlesinger, Jr., whose original, brainy scheme it may have been. Intellectuals and artists guilty of opposing fascism “too early” and supporting the Soviet Union in the present or past offered another considerable list including some of Hollywood’s most talented writers and directors, also a handful of its stars (Lucille Ball might be the best remembered today), also musicians, singers, painters, novelists and most mortifying to some critics, the day’s leading playwright, Arthur Miller. The CIA’s precursor body, full of leftwingers, had been ushered out of existence as the intelligence operation shifted from anti-fascist and slightly pro-communist to anti-communist and to the same degree, pro-fascist (or supportive of repressive anti-communist regimes). The guilty had to be finished off, in the ongoing Cold War, and McCarthyism had not finished the job.
The 1950s offered plenty of opportunities for intellectuals and artists to curse Russian misdeeds, but a rather large number of opportunities for criticism of US actions as the overthrow of the Guatemalan government and the near-genocidal civilian massacres shortly to follow. Americans were called upon to gird their loins. They were also selectively offered all expense-paid junkets with, four star hotels, five star restaurants, and plenty of associated glamor. Better than that, or at least more lasting, were the contacts useful for lucrative book contracts and warm reviews in the big publications.
It might have gone on for decades longer, if not for the Vietnam War, which most of leading intellectuals in the operation came to view as an unfortunate but understandable mistake in judgment. A handful, including Dwight Macdonald, actually rejoined the dissenters, and in his case, humiliated a small crowd around him attending a White House dinner by asking for petition signatures against the war. Ramparts’ revelations began with the National Student Association (NSA), a mostly reform-minded student group whose “witty” leaders carried out orders and cashed checks of origins unknown to members. As the scandal spread, CIA officials went public, confessing to deep ties not only to student groups but also to the AFL-CIO, whose leaders had heretofore denied any CIA funding for activities among leading unionists in the UK and across Europe, not to mention the rest of the world.
The ripples of the Ramparts revelations spread outward, with mostly hypocritical denials of knowledge by this or that participant. Some, like Arendt (whose totemic Origins of Totalitarianism had actually been funded by the Agency) made fun of the Congress members’ pomposity while enjoying the lavish accommodations in a palace on Lake Como, Italy. An American counterpart to the CCF, the Committee for Cultural Freedom, shut down in embarrassment, although Schlesinger managed a transfer of funds and the franchise of the CCF to the smaller International Association for Cultural Freedom, which finally shut its doors in 1979.
Is all this far in the past, a mere historical footnote? The widely-reported style of the Clinton Campaign, reporters kept at a distance with doors and windows shut while HRC addresses her donors, has a suspicious familiarity. So does the very character of the celebrity sheen, the carefully chosen famous important enough to be brought up to the stage, trusted enough not to object to…the newest versions of hawkish Cold War liberalism.
What lies ahead for these intellectuals and celebs is, first of all, White House photo-ops, and very possibly “Freedom” awards of assorted kinds. But there’s another future, around the corner, when the next Vietnam (or Guatemala) becomes the source of quiet State Department calls for declarations of loyalty. Another country to be bombed, invaded and occupied in the name of “Freedom,” perhaps this time the freedom of women, or a population to be saved from obliteration only by a massive military operation not likely to end in near time.
Secrecy and loyalty to the regime: as important to liberalism as to the Right, and perhaps more important. A world to be conquered, no matter how many victims, in the name of high ideals.
* "US and Bulgarian fighter aircraft to patrol Black Sea to 'restrain Russia' " (2016-08-26, dninews.com) [archive.is/mFGlU]
* "Follow the money trail for source of 'Russian threat' paranoia" (2016-08-22, by Neil Clark) [archive.is/LH15O]
* "Leaked memo shows how George Soros planned to overthrow Vladimir Putin and destabilise Russia; DC Leaks documents detail how dangerous the Open Society and George Soros were to the preservation of the Russian Federation" (2016-08-25, theduran.com) [archive.is/ZzVLC]
* "Soros Hack: Top 10 Machinations Of A Master Manipulator" (2016-08-24, Makia Freeman) [archive.is/IEWPn]
* "NGOs: Choice Tool Of Subversion For The New World Order" (2016-08-26, by Makia Freeman) [archive.is/BpQGI]
* "Unacceptable scenario: Fail of Minsk-2 would lead to a war which will spread to Europe" (2016-08-23, dninews.com) [archive.is/WU5dq], attached video [youtube.com/watch?v=AuvCcdnb5SM]:
On 19 August 2016, the Lugansk People's Republic (LPR) organised an international round table on the theme: "The life of the Republic: socio-political and socio-economical aspects."
Representatives of various civil movements, MPs and ministers of LPR attended it, along with representatives of South Ossetia, Abkhazia, Crimea, the Russian Federation, and also international observers and journalists from Finland, Austria, Italy and France.
He also gave an update on the status of the current situation in the LPR. There is still a lot of work to do, but many homes, schools, infrastructure, roads, factories were restored. And thanks to that, most of the inhabitants of the Republic have returned. At the date of the conference, 95% of pre-war residents are present in the territory of the Lugansk People's Republic.
Plotnitsky also stressed that there is no alternative to Minsk-2 in terms of peaceful settlement of the conflict, and regretted that for the moment the peace process is completely stopped. This led the LPR to ask to Kiev if they really wanted the territory of Donbass and its people, or if they were only interested by the territory.
Vladimir Degtyarenko, the Speaker of LPR Parliament, said just after that the fact that Ukraine deprives Donbass people of papers (passports, birth and marriage certificates, etc.) demonstrated clearly that it does not consider the inhabitants of both Peoples Republic as Ukrainians.
After the events which occurred in Crimea, the Normandy format discussion stopped, but several speakers insisted on the fact that discussions should continue in Minsk, even if they go round and round for the moment.
Because as stated Vladislav Deynego, Vice President of the LPR Parliament, "The only alternative to the Minsk process, it is war. Not a civil war here, but a war that will spread in Europe, and will affect European countries. And to consider this scenario as an alternative is absolutely unacceptable."
This is why many stakeholders appealed to European countries, the international community, the OSCE, and even the United Nations, to put pressure on Kiev to resume discussions in a constructive way. The authorities, as well as the citizens of both People's Republics, want peace and a victory obtained by the political means and not by weapons.
Because as stated Denis Pushilin, Speaker of Donetsk People's Republic (DPR) Parliament, at each Ukrainian soldier who dies, the gap between the Ukrainian people and the citizens of the two young republics dig a little deeper, and Ukrainian people, already crammed with anti DPR and LPR propaganda, will oppose increasingly to the two republics.
Foreign observers emphasized the importance of these agreements, and on the terrorist aspect of Kiev actions in Donbass. Alfred Almeder, an Austrian observer, and Janus Putkonen, Director of DONi News Agency, recalled the importance to inform the European people about what is happening here. Because only a massive popular support for the peace here could bow western governments, like the United States during the Vietnam War.
Besides, Sergey Panteleev, director of the Institute of overseas Russians, highlighted a strange paradox: it is here in Donbass, that the true European values are defended, and this is why more and more European representatives come here. He also gave advice to the two young republics to learn from South Ossetia and Abkhazia, which have experienced similar problems, and if Minsk does not work finally, then they will have to continue building a state here in the People's Republics.
The second part of the round table focused precisely on these points. Vladimir Degtyarenko recalled that unlike the Kiev authorities which are illegal because they are coming from a coup, the authorities of the two young republics are the result of a referendum which international observers attended, followed by an election, and are thus legitimate. The Minister of Justice has then indicated that the primaries law in the LPR is ready, and the electoral process could continue as planned.
The legitimacy of the two People's Republics' authorities was confirmed by the President of the South Ossetian Parliament, Anatoly Bibilov. This explains why South Ossetia officially recognises the Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republics, and a treaty of economic and financial cooperation will be signed between the three republics. But South Ossetia will not stop there, and Bibilov said that his country is ready to assist the two young republics in all possible ways, including militarily. For him, Ukraine, like Georgia are terrorist states.
Besides, the lack of international recognition is not a major problem, as highlighted an economic expert, because Russia is an ally of both republics and a strong ally. And as stated Denis Pushilin, non-recognition of the two young republics will not last forever, and if it does not work one way, the authorities of the People's Republics will try others until one of them works. And LPR as well as DPR have now a much better potential for economic but also democratic development than Ukraine.
In conclusion, as stated by Denis Miroshnichenko, one wonders how the Ukrainian mass media will present this conference of so-called "terrorists" promoting the implementation of a peace agreement.
Video from Lugansk TV, International Round Table on 19.8.2016
* "Protest in support of Donbass republics, resistance against fascism in Ukraine to be held in London, September 29" (2016-08-23, dninews.com) [archive.is/7EqoI]:
Since then we have seen the Odessa Trade Union House fire in May 2014, in which at least 50 people were murdered; trade union and opposition party offices ransacked and burned; the Communist Party of Ukraine declared illegal; widespread attacks on communists, socialists, Jewish and gay people; members of the judiciary intimidated; thousands arrested for 'seperatism' and sent to secret prisons run by the Security Service of Ukraine, and continuing disappearances and murders of opposition activists and journalists.
The British government has sent 100 military trainers to support the Armed Forces of Ukraine, and has sponsored ‘educational’ activities aimed at sanitising the WW2 fascist leaders who collaborated with Nazi Germany in the genocide of 5-7 million people, a quarter of Ukraine's population including 1.5 million jews, and the deportation of two million people to Germany.
The New Communist Party will be calling for:
Justice for the Odessa Trade Union House Fire victims!
End the far right reign of terror in Ukraine!
End British military and other aid to the illegal Ukraine government
Implement the Minsk 2 Accords, bring peace to Ukraine
Solidarity with people of the Lugansk and Donetsk Republics
Solidarity with anti-fascists in Ukraine
The protest is organised by the New Communist Party with support from Solidarity with the Anti-Fascist Resistance in Ukraine which will take place at the Ministry of Defence, Whitehall (near the Cenotaph), Thursday 29 September 5.30-7pm.
The New Communist Party urges everyone who supports the resistance against fascism in Ukraine to support this protest
* "Lawmakers, Peace Groups Team Up to Block 'Disturbing' US-Saudi Arms Deal; The deal was announced while Congress was in recess, giving them little time to debate it before the 30-day window closes, CODEPINK noted" (2016-08-23, commondreams.org) [archive.is/b1Ipw]
* "As Kerry Plans to Visit Saudi Arabia, Activists & NGOs Demand U.S. Stop Funding War Crimes in Yemen" (2016-08-22, democracynow.org) [is.gd/Oj5cVm]
* "UK defense contractor BAE selling surveillance gear to Emirates – report" (2016-08-26, rt.com) [archive.is/25Laq]
* "Zakharova: Policy of some Western states has triggered increase in terrorism" (2016-08-25, sana.sy) [archive.is/OUEW0]
* "Russian Foreign Ministry: Washington failed to separate terrorists from 'moderate opposition' " (2016-08-23, sana.sy) [archive.is/s0LIr]
* "Moscow: Syrian opposition obstructs humanitarian aid in Aleppo" (2016-08-29, sana.sy) [archive.is/e85Xd]: Russian Foreign Ministry affirmed on Monday that the so-called Syrian opposition has obstructed the humanitarian process of the UN in Aleppo.
“In the last moment, the opposition linked its acceptance of sending a convoy of food to the civilians in Aleppo to unacceptable and non-objective provisions,” Spokeswoman of the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
She added “those provocative behaviors reveal the real face of those fake strugglers who don’t shy while exploiting the miserable humanitarian situation to achieve their destructive goals.”
* "Russian Paralympics team to miss 2018 games due to Rio ban – officials" (2016-08-29, rt.com) [archive.is/AP3rF]
* "US Paralympic delegation gets places of banned Russian athletes" (2016-08-28, rt.com) [archive.is/Kzlya]
NATO Commanders in the USA and elsewhere are interfering with civilian-sector government elections, parlaying their opinions to a wide audience about candidates, and associating the candidates they disfavor with the state enemies of NATO.
* "Kremlin would celebrate if Corbyn elected, claims former NATO chief" (2016-08-25, rt.com) [archive.is/IfVNX]
* "If there’s no Russian threat in the Baltics, why is Canada so enthusiastic about a New Cold War there? " (2016-08-19, albertapolitics.ca) [archive.is/I7Vas]
* "Propaganda warfare? Russia accused of backing hacker attack on Washington think tanks" (2016-08-30, rt.com) [archive.is/8ZZAG]
Weapons for a New World Order
* "How the Pentagon’s Skynet Would Automate War" (2014-11-24, motherboard.vice.com) [archive.is/ZkyLJ]
* "AI machines are racist & it’s all our fault - report" (2016-08-30, rt.com) [archive.is/1866q]
* " ‘Terminators’ will be built by our enemies, says top US military chief" (2016-08-26, rt.com) [archive.is/8i4dT] [begin excerpt]: The future of war will involve autonomous robots instead of humans, according to Air Force General and Vice Chair of the Joint of Chiefs of Staff Paul Selva, who warned enemies could build “Terminator”-like machines to fight in battlefields.
Speaking at the think-tank Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) in Washington, Selva said the technology could be developed in 10 years - and that the world’s biggest military should punish anyone who pursues such weapons.
“This is about an entirely robotic system, completely autonomous, [that is] not dependent on the human decision,” Selva said. “We’re told by the technologists that we’re a decade or so away from that capability.”
“I don’t think it’s impossible that somebody will try to build a completely autonomous system, and I’m not talking about something like a cruise missile … or a mine that requires a human to target it and release it and it goes and finds its target,” Selva said. “I’m talking about a wholly-robotic system that decides whether or not, at the point of decision, it’s going to do lethal ops.”
While the technology for creating an army of ‘Terminators’ is not yet available, the US has been testing ‘Multipurpose Unmanned Tactical Transports’ (MUTT) in the Pacific. [end excerpt]
* "Eurosatory: Supersized UGV revealed" (2016-06-13, Shephard Media) [vimeo.com/170941061]
* "ROBATTLE IS OVER 7 TONS OF SEMI-AUTONOMOUS WAR MACHINE ALL ARMORED CASING, NO HUMAN INSIDE" (2016-06-16, popsci.com) [archive.is/lUSu4], attached video [youtu.be/uH9ZqkP7lbo]: This week, war robots came to Paris. On display at the Eurosatory 2016 Land and Airland Defence and Security tradeshow, RoBattle is a modular machine from defense firm Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI). Seven tons itself, it can carry three tons of sensors, weapons, and other tools it may need for fighting. And much like the first tanks that were built for the difficult war-scarred muddy ground of the Western Front, the RoBattle can climb over difficult terrain [is.gd/ElRrr4]. Mostly.
And here it is, struggling up a ledge. It slips for a second, but pulls itself forward [is.gd/rBwW3P].
Here’s how RoBattle’s makers IAI describe it [archive.is/HEwsU]: "RoBattle, the newest member of the family of unmanned ground robotic systems from IAI, is equipped with a modular "robotic kit" comprised of vehicle control, navigation, RT mapping and autonomy, sensors and mission payloads. The system can be operated autonomously in several levels and configured with wheels or tracks, to address the relevant operational needs. Operators can equip RoBattle with different payloads including manipulator arms, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) sensors and radars, and remotely controlled weapons."
The machine’s body can raise up to four feet high to get over obstacles, or crouch down to 23 inches to stay out of sight. It can also apparently operate for 12 hours in an “ambush mode”, IAI robotics manager Meir Shabtai told Shepard, “listening, detecting and reacting.”
* "Army tests war robots in the Pacific" (2016-08-22, popsci.com) [archive.is/DqG1N], attached video [youtu.be/ArmNHo187nI]:
Soldier are preparing for war with robots. Let me rephrase. Soldiers are preparing for war, alongside robots. As part of the Pacific Manned-Unmanned Initiative, soldiers with the U.S. Army’s 25th Infantry Division tested prototypes of robots, to see if they might be useful in future battles.
Those robots included everything from the basic, like flying quadcopter drone scouts [is.gd/TpW1Bb], to these tracked robots that carry guns and gear [is.gd/py72f6].
They’re called Multipurpose Unmanned Tactical Transports, or MUTTs, and while they aren’t exactly robots that fire their own guns, with a soldier on the back they turn deadly pretty quick. The training exercise was a showcase for new technologies, and a way to test them in situations like they might eventually see in combat. Robots are coming to the battlefields of the future, and the Army wants to make sure it brings the right ones.
Photo (United States Air Force), caption: Soldiers With Multipurpose Unmanned Tactical Transport Robot. The robot is named MUTT, and it has a human-controlled gun on its back.
* "Pentagon pushes for cyber weapons capable of real-world killing" (2015-11-06, rt.com) [archive.is/B64pQ]
* "Training for the Future of War: West Point cadets are shooting down drones with cyber rifles" (2016-06-15, popsci.com) [archive.is/az5a4], attached video [is.gd/lSciM5]
* "Nuclear engineers apply 3-D printing to cut cost of parts replacement; GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy's new 3-D printing project for nuclear plant components demonstrates the rising use of 3-D modelling to optimize complex engineering and manufacturing procedures" (2016-08-23, analysis.nuclearenergyinsider.com) [archive.is/Dum2X]
The spread of Zika virus vectors is being monitored for data applicable for offensive operative scenarios
* "Number of Zika Cases in US Military Rises to 55" (2016-08-19, military.com) [archive.is/Ne4Mz]
* "Florida announces Zika case hundreds of miles from Miami" (2016-08-23, Reuters newswire) [archive.is/iKEOL]
* "CHEMICAL WARFARE RED ALERT: Zika panic DEET chemical part of a brain damaging binary weapon being carpet bombed across America's cities" (2016-08-21, by Mike Adams) [archive.is/CHY74]
USA Homeland's resident nations:
Nations exist alongside the Federal [archive.is/VXoPR], and State governance [archive.is/Cz2uF]. Demographic maps: 2000 [archive.is/nXHXz], 2010 [archive.is/nKbSA], religion [archive.is/XArBS]. The New Afrikan nation, and the nation of Nueva Aztlan, each have their own separate sections on this news page.
Sovereign nations of the "Indian Country", and of traditional lodges.
Map [archive.is/s4FYb]; News [indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com] [bsnorrell.blogspot.com]
* "WE’VE ALWAYS “OCCUPIED THE PRARIE” AND WE’RE NOT GOING ANYWHERE; Stand with Standing Rock and Stop the Billionaire’s Water Grab" (2016-08-24, nativenewsonline.net) [archive.is/C1oHS], photo caption: Young Protectors of the Water, Standing Rock
* "Army Corps of Engineers Confirms Native Protesters Are Right — There Is No Written Easement for Dakota Access Pipeline" (2016-08-29, countercurrentnews.com) [archive.is/6Lfpp]
USA Homeland's resident nations:
American Nation, including the State Sovereignty campaigns, and Dominionist Campaigns. [tenthamendmentcenter.com]
* " ‘I lost. The ni**er won’: Alabama GOP mayor gets racist on Facebook after losing to black candidate" (2016-08-25, rawstory.com) [archive.is/ZAhjt]
* "The price is alt-right: Clinton and Trump both boost fringe politics" (2016-08-26, rt.com) [archive.is/ly4ZF]
* What is "Alt-Right"? [archive.is/kIDFg]
* "White Extremists Have Killed More in U.S. Than “Islamic” Terrorists Since 9/11" (2016-09-01, countercurrentnews.com) [archive.is/PKfel]
* "3 People Shot Execution-Style in Mysterious Indiana Murders" (2016-02-28, usuncut.com) [archive.is/fU7yx]
* "Knife-Wielding Racists Scream ‘Heil Hitler’ as They Attack Hispanic Teens at LA Family Park" (2016-02-29, usuncut.com) [archive.is/NA0Y5]
* "Read This Man’s Terrifying Account of Standing Silently at a Trump Rally" (2016-03-14, usuncut.com) [archive.is/sgOp8]
* "Armed White Supremacists Storm NAACP Office in Houston" (2016-08-22, usuncut.com) [archive.is/xEmKk], comment [archive.is/O5z9S]: Why are Black protesters not labeled as Black Supremacists. Just another lame f'n liberal rag looking to start shit.
* Photo [archive.is/1qzJm].
* "They came to the NAACP brandishing M-16s" (2016-08-25, peoplesworld.org) [archive.is/FlURq]: On Sunday, a small group of white supremacists brandished war weapons and waved confederate battle flags outside our Houston Branch offices. Their so-called "protest" turned a quiet, tree-lined street into a platform for hatred and violence.
But in the face of flagrant bigotry and ignorance, the protesters in Houston were met by a larger crowd dedicated to peace and prayer. As activists, that's what we have to do every day: Show the strength of our numbers, and our commitment to justice.
Unfortunately, for many of the NAACP's 2,200 local chapters and branches, this kind of harassment is a regular occurrence, simply because we stand up for the civil rights of all people.
These protesters in Houston are a distressing reminder of the hate that persists in our country and of the work we have ahead to eradicate it.
For more than a century, the NAACP has built a multi-racial, multi-generational force to nonviolently combat racism. We stand against violence, segregation, hate. We stand for voting rights, economic opportunity, professional and accountable law enforcement, and quality education. We always have, and we always will.
You can judge what we stand for by who stands against us.
The above appeal was sent out to the Peoples World by by Cornell William Brooks, the president and CEO of the NAACP.
Northbay Uprising FM Radio News is broadcast courtesy of 89.5 FM-KZCT [OzcatRadio.com]
On Ozcat Radio, tune-in online [is.gd/kJ1EUt] for:
- The Stranger News, broadcast Thursdays, 5 to 5:30pm, featuring latest news on science, technology, space, and cutting-edge research on the mind, world history, and entheogenics!
- The Northbay UpRising Morningshow, broadcast Tuesdays, 7 to 9am, with local news, and topics on Peace, the Ecology, Do-It-Yourself ideas, and Communitarianism!
- KBBF Weekly News, broadcast Tuesdays at 8:45pm, on the Northbay UpRising morningshow!
- The Ozcat Roundtable, a topical news program broadcast Wednesdays, 3 to 6pm, with hosts Billy I. (pictured), Jeremy, and the Nomad!
Also tune-in to these other radio shows!
* KZFR Peace and Social Justice Show