Tune in Thursdays 4 to 5pm (PST), at 89.5FM in the northeast San Pablo Bay Area, or online at [is.gd/kJ1EUt].
Hosted by Dr.G., Minister of Information of the Northbay MDS.
Be a Community Journalist with our Community Journalist's Notebook [link].
Send news & info to [NorthbayMDS@) gmail.com]!
Northbay Uprising News scripts [link].
Archived webpages at (archive.org) and at (archive.is) are available even if the original is taken down. News links are provided for educational purposes only, and do not constitute an endorsement of political tendencies, or, of foreign governments. Circumvent "Error 451" [archive.is/WOZXx] by using the proxy server at [webproxy.to] or, by using Tor Browser [is.gd/r18EVD].
A list of gatherings, workshops, and educational events in the greater Bay Area region
* August is “Nuclear-Free Future Month” (unitedforpeace.org) [archive.is/TZHWV]
On August 6 and 9, the 71st anniversaries of the U.S. atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, we encourage you to highlight the growing dangers of wars among nuclear-armed states and the imperative of nuclear disarmament as you commemorate those horrific events.
This year we are joining UNFOLD ZERO and partners around the world in promoting Chain Reaction 2016, global actions for nuclear disarmament, July 8 – October 2, a period spanning a number of key anniversaries and international commemorative days.
* SAN FRANCISCO CELEBRATES FIDEL’S 90TH BIRTHDAY
Saturday, August 6
6 pm Cuban dinner • 7 pm program
2969 Mission St., San Francisco
$10 to 20 donation requested • no one turned away for lack of funds
Sponsored by the Party for Socialism and Liberation • pslweb.org • 415-821-6171
Endorsed by Bay Area Latin America Solidarity Coalition, ANSWER, Cuba and Venezuela Solidarity Committee, FMLN-No-Cal., Hondureños en Resistencia, Marcha Patriótica-No. Cal., Party for Socialism and Liberation, SOAW-San Francisco, Task Force on the Americas, Workers World Party
Equal Justice Rally & Protest
Thursday, August 11, 2016
9 am - 2 pm
16th & H Street (Governor's Mansion), Sacramento, California
Join us in Sacramento as we demand that the California State Legislature & Governor Brown Repeal the Peace Officers Bill of Rights. This Bill allows Police to kill innocent citizens with impunity. They have the power to enter our homes, stop us for no reason, detain us, and kill us with impunity. We are demanding an end to the Militaristic treatment of citizens by those sworn to protect and serve. The Legislature and Governor have blood on their hands because of their inaction when ii comes to protecting minorities and other vulnerable citizens.
For more information, email [email@example.com], or text [510-753-9760]
Pig roast and free barbecue in Oakland
in solidarity with the family of James Rivera Jr, O Shane Evans and Mario Romero.
At 23rd and San Pablo
August 20th 12 to 8
Oakland Maroons Art Collective Presents:
“The Point is…2.0”: Art Representing the Relevance of the Black Panther Party’s 10 Point program in the 21st century
Opening: OCTOBER 7, 2016
Joyce Gordon Gallery
406 14th St. Oakland, CA.
Celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Black Panther Party’s founding. This expanded version of the artshow will feature never before seen images of the Black Panther Party and work that interprets the Ten Point Program across a myriad of exciting mediums including video, poetry performance, mural/wall painting and more. Our goal is to create contemporary expressions of art that are not just nostalgic and historical but also in keeping with an evolved, advanced sense of Black/Afrikan world wide liberation movements relevant to the 21st century.
Oakland Maroons Art Collective (OMAC) is an organization of Black culture workers intent on re-inscribing the spirit of the Harlem Renaissance, Negritude, the Black Arts Movement and Africentricity for the 21st century. We are visual artists, writers, musicians and performers who have a commitment to African Centered philosophies that re-inscribe the Black Aesthetic in the 21st century.
SOA Watch Convergence at the US/Mexico Border in October:
This October 7-10, in the lead-up to the elections, converge in Nogales, Sonora/Arizona at the U.S./Mexico border to demand a fundamental shift in U.S. foreign policy.
We need to build grassroots power to change our culture and the challenge the racist status quo, and we need to take action: [SOAW.org/border]
Please make a donation to support the organizing work of SOA Watch: [SOAW.org/donate]
Stories are reviewed and provided by Northbay MDS Committees and Affiliates
BAY AREA SOLIDARITY
Updates on campaigns for Peace, Justice, & Freedom across the greater Bay Area, Norcal, and Socal
* "SF, Oakland, SJ Police Upset Over Mario Woods Day" (2016-07-22, sfweekly.com) [archive.is/1fLTx], photo caption: Students protesting outside City Hall on Dec. 11, 2015.
* International Network in Action event flier [archive.is/BoQL2], showing Black, Brown and White unity against human rights abuse by police
* (2016-07-23, facebook.com/Los-Angeles-Peoples-Media-687705364607705) [archive.is/5awIr]:
Bullets in the back are MURDER
Tell #EricGarcetti to fire #LAPD #ChiefBeck
Please sign Fire Police Chief Charlie Beck for Leading the Most Murderous Police Force in the United States [http://bit.ly/2aaISUl]
Solidarity against human rights abuses in LA!
BAY AREA SOLIDARITY: Updates on campaigns across the Nation!
* (2016-07-23, facebook.com/unistoten) [archive.is/fTRTJ]: #BLM This photo of these beautiful people was taken during our 7th Annual Action Camp. We stand in solidarity with all of our friends and comrades who struggle against a system which favours and treats white settlers differently than those who are of colour. We stand in solidarity with all those who have felt the crush of intolerance because we are different and stunningly beautfiul. We stand in solidarity with those who simply want to live free.
* "Twin Cities Unions Respond to Police Violence" (2016-07-21, labornotes.org) [archive.is/4U3R2], photo caption: Twin Cities unions are taking a stand on police violence after the recent police killing of an African American man, Philando Castile, at a traffic stop.
* "Teachers Arrested Protesting Police Brutality in the Twin Cities" (2016-07-21, labornotes.org) [archive.is/hJI4I], photo caption: Teachers in Minneapolis were arrested in civil disobedience over Philando Castile's death.
* "Hundreds gather to honor Delrawn Small, murdered by the NYPD" (2016-07-21, answercoalition.org) [archive.is/oo8xL]
* "46 arrested at #PhilandoCastile protest against police killings in Minnesota" (2016-07-27, rt.com) [archive.is/bXJhg]
* (2016-07-14, Isiah Carey, fox26news) [archive.is/DaHrQ]: She says she doesn't care what you or I think the sign will remain posted up outside her home in Houston...
SOLANO PEACE & FREEDOM PARTY
Use the ballot for our own People's candidates and legislation, campaign for the future!
#DemEXIT Here... #BERNers Welcome.
The Peace and Freedom Party of California, founded in 1967, is committed to socialism, democracy, ecology, feminism and racial equality. We organize toward a world where cooperation replaces competition, a world where all people are well fed, clothed and housed; where all women and men have equal status; where all individuals may freely endeavor to fulfill their own talents and desires; a world of freedom and peace where every community retains its cultural integrity and lives with all others in harmony.
The summary platform is available as a flyer in both English and Spanish to print and distribute [peaceandfreedom.org/home/about-us/platform/summary-platform].
We offer this summary of our immediate and long-range goals:
- Double the minimum wage, and index it to the cost of living.
- Guarantee the right of all workers to organize and to strike; forbid striker replacement.
- Socially useful jobs for all at union pay levels.
- Equal pay for equal work, and for work of comparable worth.
- A 30-hour workweek with no cut in weekly pay; longer paid vacations.
- Guaranteed dignified income for those who cannot work.
- A Universal Basic Income to alleviate poverty and homelessness.
- Tax the income and assets of the rich to meet human needs.
- International trade agreements must guarantee the protection of workers and the environment in all participating countries; abolish NAFTA, GATT and the World Trade Organization (WTO).
- End homelessness; abolish vagrancy laws; provide decent affordable housing for all.
- Social ownership and democratic control of industry, financial institutions, and natural resources.
- The United States should take the initiative toward global disarmament by eliminating nuclear, chemical and biological weapons.
- Withdraw U. S. troops and weapons from other countries, and reallocate the resulting "peace dividend" for social benefit.
- Abolish the CIA, NSA, AID and other agencies for interference in other countries' internal affairs.
- Convert from a military to a peace-oriented economy, with jobs for displaced workers.
- Self-determination for all nations and peoples of the world, including Puerto Rico and all U. S. territories.
- Defend and extend liberties guaranteed in the Bill of Rights.
- End discrimination based on race, sex, age, sexual orientation, or disability.
- Restore affirmative action, guarantee full education and employment rights for all.
- Abolish the death penalty.
- No prison labor for private profit.
- Support the right of working people to keep and bear arms.
- Democratic elections through proportional representation; full political, social and economic rights for resident non-citizens.
- Honor treaties with Native American nations; recognize California's Native American nations. Defend and extend Native American rights and sovereignty.
- Provide full free quality public education through university level. Teach the history of workers' struggles and labor's creation of society's wealth and progress.
- Full rights for all immigrant workers. No human is illegal. Stop ICE raids. Stop jailing and deporting immigrants.
- Restore and strengthen bilingual education.
- Uncensored government funding for ordinary people to create and enjoy art.
- Scientific and technological research to benefit ordinary people, not the capitalists.
- Free high-quality health care for everyone, including birth control, abortion, pre-natal and childhood health care. No forced sterilizations.
- Legalize marijuana, decriminalize drug use, and make substance abuse treatment freely available.
- Give special attention to preventing epidemics of communicable diseases such as AIDS. Guarantee the rights of people living with AIDS.
- Restore and protect air, water, land and ecosystems.
- Promote conservation and develop solar and other renewable energy to replace nuclear power and fossil fuels.
- End environmental racism: no toxic dumping in anyone's back yard.
- Massive development of public transportation available free or at nominal fares.
- Outlaw clear cutting and protect remaining old-growth forests.
- Promote an environmentally sound agricultural system which meets human needs and protects farm workers' labor rights and standard of living.
TOWARDS REVOLUTIONARY SOLUTIONS
Advocating for big government cartels (state socialism) against dominated market cartels (Fascism) is a bit like advocating for a lesser evil against a bigger evil. Communitarianism is the key to this. Community Liberation and Empowerment! Limit centralized government to protecting the people/ecology/resources, and give All Power to the Communities!
LUCHA PARA LA NUEVA AZTLAN!
* "This Is What Happens When White People Write A Textbook On Mexican-American History" (2016-07-19, wearemitu.com) [archive.is/ToUbZ]
* "Mexican-American history textbook already being sold, despite controversy; Company's CEO says tome isn't meant to malign Hispanic history" (2016-07-25, houstonchronicle.com) [archive.is/qDAKy] [begin excerpt]: The woman whose company has put out a controversial "Mexican American Heritage" textbook says it is "not careless and is certainly not racist."
In an interview with the Houston Chronicle on Tuesday, Cynthia Dunbar said she was saddened by the criticism and defended the work, saying "the last thing in the world that we want this book to do is to promote any kind of negative impression of Mexican-Americans." [...]
Dunbar, a Christian conservative who opposes teaching evolution, was elected to the board in 2006. In 2008, while serving on the board, she published the book "One Nation Under God." In it, she described public education as "tyrannical" and said that sending children to public schools is like "throwing them into the enemy's flames, even as the children of Israel threw their children to Moloch." [...]
One of the most cited passages describes Chicanos' role during the civil rights movement as people who "adopted a revolutionary narrative that opposed Western civilization and wanted to destroy this society."
Another section says, "industrialists were very driven, competitive men who were always on the clock and continually concerned about efficiency," but, "in contrast, Mexican laborers were not reared to put in a full day's work so vigorously. There was a cultural attitude of 'mañana,' or 'tomorrow,' when it came to high-gear production."
Dunbar said the book doesn't promote that image. It was meant to reflect stereotypes that Mexican-Americans had to overcome, she said. [...]
If "Mexican American Heritage" receives final approval, Diaz said, "schools nationwide would be inadvertently choosing a racist book to teach their students."
Coalition members say Dunbar hijacked the process by using her knowledge of textbook selection to step ahead of true historians, who are working on their own versions. The textbook now being debated is the only one on Mexican-American history ever vetted by the SBOE. [end excerpt]
* "Gentrification Refugees Jumpolin demo had been underway since November" (2015-02-27, austinchronicle.com) [archive.is/U7QRG]
* "TEXAS COMMISSIONS PIÑATA STATUES TO REMEMBER DEMOLISHED PIÑATA STORE" (2015-10-22, latina.com), pg. 1 [archive.is/eHzuy], pg. 2 [archive.is/RFnh9].
[begin excerpt]: While the artists’ intent is admirable and the installation certainly beautifies the neighborhood, the city’s sponsorship of the piece only serves to remind me of the ways in which it failed to protect Austin citizens from the ruthless destruction of their livelihood.
Jumpolin proprietors Monica and Sergio Lejarazu allege they were given no warning about the demolition and that they were up to date on their property rent, which was leased until 2017. They lost their entire inventory along with cash registers and some personal belongings. Multiple witnesses at the scene also told reporters that the demolition crew gave inventory away to passersby. However, because the city of Austin gave F&F the permit to demolish the building, criminal charges could not be filed and the Lejarazus are left with no recourse but to file a civil suit, which is ongoing.
City of Austin Historic Preservation Officer Steve Sandowsky told the Austin Chronicle in February [archive.is/U7QRG], "Making sure if someone is living in a building or has property stored in the building seems to me much more between the owner of the building and the tenant and that's not the city's concern." This, however, seems to me like an incredibly shortsighted, if not downright naïve, policy.
Now the same city is sponsoring a temporary exhibit they say was meant to coincide with Hispanic Heritage Month, and while I am sure that the Arts in Public Places department has nothing to do with the Demolition & Relocation department, I couldn’t help but notice that, on the city’s webpage describing the installation, the demolition is referred to as one that happened "inadvertently." Here’s an archived version, just in case [archive.is/uDsfD]. [end excerpt]
SOLIDARITY WITH THE NEW AFRICAN NATION!
Black Power! Revive the Community! Defend the Nation!
National News [blackagendareport.com] [atlantablackstar.com] [sfbayview.com]
* "READY FOR WHATEVER!!!" (2016-07-24, BRLP HQ):
General T.A.C.O. in the middle of the line... BLACK RIDERS - New Generation Black Panther Party for Self-Defense! Black Power! All Power to the People! RBG 4 LIFE!
We Ride for the Unborn - the Living - and the Dead ! ! !
* " 'Another black man with a gun': Dr. Dre handcuffed outside his home" (2016-07-26, rt.com) [archive.is/sZ1Ki]
* "Officer involved in Sandra Bland arrest claims he was forced into silence" (2016-07-27, rt.com) [archive.is/P1yAO] [begin excerpt]: Sandra Bland’s death in a jail cell has shined a light on the police departments involved in her arrest, but one officer claims he knew more than he was allowed to say and blames the district attorney for keeping him silent.
In a recorded conversation with activist DeWayne Charleston, Prairie View police officer Michael Kelley claims that he had wanted to share certain information about Bland’s arrest, but was scared into silence.
“I wanted to testify on Sandra Bland’s behalf and they told me if I said anything they’re going to come after me,” Kelley said in Charleston’s recording.
Kelley claims that he was present when former state trooper Brian Encinia – who has since been fired for assaulting an officer – arrested Sandra Bland.
Bland was first allegedly stopped by police for failing to signal before changing lanes, but the situation quickly escalated. Encinia claimed she was “argumentative and uncooperative” during the stop, prompting him to remove his Taser from its holster and threaten her, saying, “I will light you up.” She was then forcibly removed from her vehicle and slammed on the ground.
Kelley told Charleston that Encinia lowered his microphone when he was out of earshot of the car and told his supervisor, “I have no idea what I’m going to arrest her for, but we’ll figure it out when we get to the county jail.”
Kelley also claims that information he submitted in a written statement to the Prairie View police chief was excluded from the official Department of Public Safety report. [end excerpt]
* "Serious problems uncovered at jail where activist Sandra Bland died – report" (2016-04-13, rt.com) [archive.is/b5qLI] [begin excerpt]: The Texas jail where black activist Sandra Bland was found dead suffers from a variety of problems and needs to undergo serious reforms, including body cameras for officials, improvements in mental health screening, and the building of a brand new facility.
Back in July 2015, Bland was taken into custody after she was pulled over for a minor traffic violation by Texas state trooper Brian Encinia. During the stop, Encinia threatened to drag Bland out of her car and “light [her] up” with a Taser if she didn’t exit her vehicle. After Encina took her into custody at the Waller County jail, Bland was found hanging from her cell ceiling by a noose made from a trash bag. [...]
When Bland was taken into the jail, she informed officers that she had attempted suicide in the past and that she was on medication for epilepsy. The report said that “suicide prevention measures are applied in a less than optimal manner,” the Guardian reported.
Additionally, investigators found that staff did not conduct enough in-person checks on potentially suicidal inmates, nor did it indicate whether workers completed training on how to deal with such prisoners. As a result, the panel suggested having medical specialists take over the medical and mental screening process. [end excerpt]
* "The Racist History of Portland, the Whitest City in America; It’s known as a modern-day hub of progressivism, but its past is one of exclusion" (2016-07, theatlantic.com) [archive.is/plKzO] [begin excerpt]: Victor Pierce has worked on the assembly line of a Daimler Trucks North America plant here since 1994. But he says that in recent years he’s experienced things that seem straight out of another time. White co-workers have challenged him to fights, mounted “hangman’s nooses” around the factory, referred to him as “boy” on a daily basis, sabotaged his work station by hiding his tools, carved swastikas in the bathroom, and written the word “nigger” on walls in the factory, according to allegations filed in a complaint to the Multnomah County Circuit Court in February of 2015.
Pierce is one of six African Americans working in the Portland plant whom the lawyer Mark Morrell is representing in a series of lawsuits against Daimler Trucks North America. The cases have been combined and a trial is scheduled for January of 2017.
“They have all complained about being treated poorly because of their race,” Morrell told me. “It’s a sad story—it’s pretty ugly on the floor there.” [...]
A 2011 audit found that landlords and leasing agents here discriminated against black and Latino renters 64 percent of the time, citing them higher rents or deposits and adding on additional fees. In area schools, African American students are suspended and expelled at a rate four to five times higher than that of their white peers.
All in all, historians and residents say, Oregon has never been particularly welcoming to minorities. Perhaps that’s why there have never been very many. Portland is the whitest big city in America, with a population that is 72.2 percent white and only 6.3 percent African American.
“I think that Portland has, in many ways, perfected neoliberal racism,” Walidah Imarisha, an African American educator and expert on black history in Oregon, told me. Yes, the city is politically progressive, she said, but its government has facilitated the dominance of whites in business, housing, and culture. And white-supremacist sentiment is not uncommon in the state. Imarisha travels around Oregon teaching about black history, and she says neo-Nazis and others spewing sexually explicit comments or death threats frequently protest her events. [end excerpt]
* "Baton Rouge, Falcon Heights, Dallas" (2016-07-13, ourfuture.org) [archive.is/FXOEN] [begin excerpt]: A thick strand in the history of U.S. policing is rooted back in the slave patrols of the 19th century. Patty rollers were authorized to stop, question, search, harass and summarily punish any Black person they encountered. The five- and six-pointed badges many of them wore to symbolize their authority were predecessors to those of today’s sheriffs and patrolmen. They regularly entered the plantation living quarters of enslaved people, leaving terror and grief in their wake. Together with the hunters of runaways, these patrols had a crystal clear mandate: to constrain the enslaved population to its role as the embodiment and producer of massive wealth for whites and to forestall the possibility that labor subordinated to the lash might rebel at the cost of white lives.
How far have we come, really? Having extricated ourselves from a system of bottomless and blatant cruelty, we have evolved a system that depends on the patty rollers of today to constrain and contain a population that, while no longer enslaved, is ruthlessly exploited, criminally neglected and justifiably aggrieved. Ruthlessly exploited by the low-wage industries that depend on ample supplies of cheap labor, by the bottom feeders of capital – payday loan companies and slumlords come to mind – by the incarceration-for-profit industry, by the municipalities that meet their budgets by preying on poor people, generating revenue by way of broken taillights, lapsed vehicle registrations and failures to signal. [end excerpt]
* "Labor union and Organization for Black Struggle pledge partnership" (2016-07-14, stltoday.com) [archive.is/PK2IZ]
* " ‘This is my second one’ – Police officer after killing unarmed 18yo black man" (2016-07-27, rt.com) [archive.is/PjT6m]
* "Ex-cop says Sandra Bland dies because she was 'arrogant' ; CNN contributor Harry Houck says Bland is to be blame for own fate" (2015-07-23, centrictv.com) [archive.is/688M9]
* "Do police treat Black Lives Matter and 'White Lives Matter' differently? The police killing of white teenager Dylan Noble in Fresno, California, led to protests that Black Lives Matter activists say authorities treated very differently" (2016-07-19, theguardian.com) [archive.is/OO9Uk]
* "Flagstaff police officers heavily monitor anti-racism protestors" (2016-07-10, jackcentral.org) [archive.is/uNQ7N]
* "Sheriff David Clarke declares war: 'Black Lives Matter is the Enemy' " (2016-07-18, inquisitr.com) [archive.is/Bj3XG] [begin excerpt]:
Sheriff David Clarke of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, just declared war and named Black Lives Matter as the enemy.
Clarke, an outspoken African-American conservative, lambasted BLM for putting the lives of police officers in danger after the deadly shootings in Dallas and Baton Rouge.
In a blistering op-ed entitled “This is a war, and Black Lives Matter is the enemy,” written for The Hill [archive.is/G8fjz], he called the string of police shootings a “civil war” in progress [archive.is/06CJ1].
“The murders in Baton Rouge, and before them Dallas, were not acts of domestic terrorism but guerrilla urban warfare against the police — who represent law and order — against the Constitution, and against the American way,” the David Clarke op-ed began.
Clarke said that as a people, Americans “need to declare that we stand with rule of law, and not with the false tales of the revolutionary Marxist forces, who most recently have rebranded themselves from Occupy Wall Street to Black Lives Matter.” [...]
Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani pre-cursored the David Clarke criticism by stating that Black Lives Matter was “inherently racist” in an interview reported by CNN [archive.is/NZesZ].
“It’s inherently racist because, number one, it divides us. All lives matter: White lives, black lives, all lives. Number two: Black Lives Matter never protests when every 14 hours somebody is killed in Chicago, probably 70-80 percent of the time (by) a black person. Where are they then? Where are they when a young black child is killed?” [...]
Between Clarke’s op-ed and his interview with Lemon, it’s pretty clear to see where the Sheriff stands on President Obama as well.
In fact, he called the president a liar in the Lemon interview and charged that Obama has fueled hatred of police officers with rhetoric like the lengthy statement he released to the official White House website in the aftermath of the Alton Sterling and Philando Castile shootings.
In his statement, the President said that “as a nation, we can and must do better to institute the best practices that reduce the appearance or reality of racial bias in law enforcement.”
The statement has drawn criticisms from more police than just Sheriff David Clarke, and it’s likely to continue for the foreseeable future. [end excerpt]
* "American Sheriff: David Clarke, the Trump-loving, pro-mass-incarceration, Fox News favorite, is challenging criminal-justice reform—and stereotypes" (2016-05-05, theatlantic.com) [archive.is/QOuqI]
* (2016-07-18, twitter.com/NPR) [archive.is/s6eL1]: Many Black Lives Matter actions transcend peaceful protest, says Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr. “I call it anarchy.”
* "Cops Across the U.S. Now Issuing Ominous Threats of Civil War" (2016-07-18, William N. Grigg via thefreethoughtprject.com) [archive.is/DF1Mi]:
With increasing frequency, law enforcement personnel – including prominent sheriffs, police chiefs, and other command-level officers – are overtly stating that they are at war with the public they supposedly serve. Few have been as candid as a self-identified police officer and combat veteran named Brandon Obie [archive.is/G2vQP].
“A lot [sic] of these thugs don’t realize that a lot [sic] of us officers have spent a lot [sic] of our time downrange stepping in the sandbox and are ready for a righteous fight if they want to bring one,” snarled Obie, his spelling reflecting the undemanding intellectual standards of his profession, in a comment posted on a law enforcement-oriented Facebook page. Identical sentiments were expressed by Major Travis Yates of the Tulsa, Oklahoma Police Department, who lectures nation-wide on officer safety issues and editor-in-chief of the publication Law Officer.
“We are at war!” exclaimed Major Yates [archive.is/Bmesh] . “The men and women behind the badge know it. Good leaders know it, and decent communities know it. For the safety of all of our men and women behind the badge, it is time our country knows it.” In what some might consider a remarkable specimen of hyperbole, Major Yates compares the emotional impact of recent episodes in which police officers have been murdered to the 9/11 attacks.
“I’ll never forget the mood at the squad meeting at 3 pm on September 11, 2001,” Yates recalls. “ I gathered with about 20 cops in the same room that we had deployed out of for years but this day was different. Our country had been attacked and we were pissed. In fact, several from that day joined the military and others seriously pondered it.”
“Those thoughts and feelings came back like a vengeance this morning as I heard the news about Baton Rouge,” he continues. “Yes, we all saw five officers killed in Dallas last week and multiple shot throughout the week but today’s news solidifies what just about no one wants to acknowledge – we are at war.”
Nearly a year ago, celebrity Sheriff David Clarke of Wisconsin’s Milwaukee County, an FBI-indoctrinated drug warrior [archive.is/89rX] who was awarded a Master’s Degree in “Security Studies” through the Naval Postgraduate School Center for Homeland Defense and Security in Monterrey, California (.pdf) [is.gd/JO6wGx], issued an undisguised call for action to “eradicate” Black Lives Matter activists and others giving voice to what he calls “anti-cop rhetoric.” Such people, he ranted, are “vulgar, vile, [and] vicious … slime” whom he characterized as “domestic terrorists” [archive.is/OUPBi]. He now demands that the public and the political class mobilize for a literal war of extermination – and he insists that citizens must rally to the defense and protection of the police officers whose advertised role is to protect them.
“It’s time to come to the aid of our police, our front-line soldiers, by calling this war, and not terrorism,” exhorted Clarke in an essay for The Hill [archive.is/G8fjz]. “Avoiding the truth through wordsmithing – the false narrative of the lone-wolf – is contemptible as more innocent officers perish while our politicians hem and haw. We as a people need to declare that we stand with the rule of law, and not with the false tales of the revolutionary Marxist forces, who most recently have re-branded themselves from Occupy Wall Street to Black Lives Matter.”
Those who refuse to enlist in that war are “accomplices” in league with “an enemy within our borders [and] without our borders,” Clarke insists.
It would be worthwhile to know if Sheriff Clarke would include within that indictment Wichita, Kansas Police Chief Gordon Ramsay, whose department, along with hundreds of local residents, participated in a July 17 First Step Cookout with local Black Lives Matter activists [archive.is/OrRgd].
“The time’s come, we’ve got to rewrite the playbook on how we’re doing business and really change the way we’re doing things – but it takes two,” commented Police Chief Ramsay. “It takes all parties to come together to make a difference.”
Sheriff Clarke and other war-crazed Blue Privilege cultists would most treat Ramsay’s comments as evidence of collusion with the “enemy,” rather than a gesture of reconciliation by a chief who at some level aspires to be a peace officer devoted to serving the public, rather than the interests of his professional tribe.
Posted to the Police Officers Facebook page, cops make an ominous call of war. “Make no mistake … A War is Coming”
Overt calls for civil war by police officials have been coupled with legislative action – at both the state and federal level [archive.is/yctW6] – to designate police as a “specially protected class” for the purposes of hate crimes prosecution. At the same time, former federal prosecutor Larry Klayman, founder of Judicial Watch, has filed a class action lawsuit [archive.is/HAq3l] against President Obama, activist Al Sharpton, Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan, and the leaders of the Black Lives Matter movement, accusing them of fomenting a race war [archive.is/V7LPC]. In a fashion all but guaranteed to catalyze the racial antagonism he supposedly protests, Klayman purports to speak on behalf of a victim class that includes police officers, “Caucasians,” and “Jews.”
Klayman’s complaint (.pdf) [is.gd/vcAn1q] alleges that the public criticism of law enforcement officers by the named respondents constitutes illegal “incitement.” He insistently describes – without plausibly documenting – a centrally directed criminal conspiracy led by Obama that threatens white citizens as a class.
“For too long, law enforcement and others, including white and non-white Jews and Christians, have remained silent, scared to speak and act, for fear of being branded racists over the fear of being threatened and harmed by defendants and their accomplices,” declares Klayman. “This must stop and justice must be done to preserve the integrity of our great nation and to avoid an all-out race war…”
In addition to injunctive relief, Klayman is demanding damages of $2 billion. The instrument has yet to be invented that could measure the infinitesimal chance that Klayman would win that lawsuit, but legal victory isn’t the objective. The purpose of that suit is to propagate a unified field theory of counter-insurgency on behalf of “Law and Order Conservatives” who are irrepressibly eager for a nation-wide paroxysm of state-sanctioned violence to cleanse the land of an internal “revolutionary enemy.”
* "Sheriff Clarke confronted after FOX6 investigation prompts federal lawsuit" (2014-07-09, fox6now.com) [archive.is/DW7we] [begin excerpt]:
Accused of a cover-up, Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke and four of his deputies are named as co-defendants in a federal civil rights lawsuit — and it all started with a FOX6 investigation that garnered national attention. A sober driver was arrested for drunk driving in February of 2013 — and she’s still fighting back.
When a Sheriff’s deputy T-boned her car last year, Tanya Weyker suffered more than a broken neck. She suffered the indignity of a false arrest for driving while intoxicated.
Now, she has filed a federal civil rights lawsuit.
“Ms. Weyker’s constitutional rights were violated very severely,” Chicago lawyer, Jon Erickson said.
With Weyker standing silently at his side, Erickson on Tuesday, July 8th announced the filing of a federal lawsuit against Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke and four of his deputies.
“The Sheriff is responsible,” Erickson said.
The lawsuit comes two months after a FOX6 investigation showed Sheriff’s Deputy Joseph Quiles T-boned Weyker’s Toyota Camry and then lied about who caused the crash. [...]
Video from an airport surveillance camera eventually proved that Deputy Quiles never stopped before turning onto Howell Avenue — as he claimed in his report. [end excerpt]
* " ‘Mothers of the Movement’: DNC guests spark trending Twitter war over Black Lives Matter" (2016-07-27, rt.com) [archive.is/wWVjY]
* "LAPD Officers Removed Antennas from Police Cars in Black Areas to Disable Recording Devices" (2014-04-08, atlantablackstar.com) [archive.is/dcHo1]
* "Voter ID and driver's license office closures black-out Alabama's Black Belt" (2015-09-30, al.com) [archive.is/wcB5X]
information collected by the Worker's Defense Committee [is.gd/VOkmLr]
* "San Joaquin County workers take it to the public" (2016-07-26, seiu1021.org): Frustrated by the Board of Supervisors’ seeming indifference toward the residents they are supposed to serve, and toward the contract negotiations with their workers who provide those services, SEIU 1021 county workers took their concerns to the public the last weekend and to the Board of Supervisors Tuesday.
“We’ve tried to engage the County at the negotiating table, at the Board of Supervisors meetings, and in the streets during a three-day strike, all to no avail,” said Marcus Williams, president of the SEIU 1021 San Joaquin County chapter. “They don’t seem to care if staff shortages mean patients at San Joaquin General Hospital don’t receive state-mandated levels of care or if abuse children remain unprotected. They’ve made that plain in negotiations. Their callousness is shocking.”
The County has more than $56 million in reserves, money taxpayers have already forked over in expectation of getting their needs met. But the Supervisors refuse to spend it on them. Moreover, the County also continues to refuse to bargain with the union in good faith, the Unfair Labor Practice that provoked the three-day strike earlier this month.
In fact, the County has double down on its illegal bad faith tactics last week when its chief negotiator sent a letter to the union saying it would only return to talks if the union capitulates and accepts its June 30 wage proposal – the one that provoked the strike – and make “ONE” other small “sweetener” proposal.
The letter went on to shove the crisis further by inviting the union to seek the assistance of the California Mediation and Conciliation Services “as a result of declaring an impasse,” that is, legally declaring the matter is beyond resolution.
The union responded with disbelief. “The tone of your letter implies that the County is not willing to change course and return to the bargaining table with an open mind to consider and counter the Union’s proposals, or to engage in serious dialogue to reach an agreement,” union attorney Manual Boigues wrote in response. See letter exchange (.pdf) [is.gd/dJTENO]
This and the County’s refusal to deal with the short staffing that plagues nearly every one of its departments, the inadequate compensation that makes it difficult to recruit and retain quality workers, and its subsequent failure to provide the level of services residents have paid for also sent SEIU 1021 members to the Board of Supervisors meeting Tuesday, July26. There five of them testified at the public comment period. They spoke about how the short staffing saddles them with impossibly large workloads, and how they struggle to survive on the meager wages the County pays.
These same issues had workers setting up informational pickets at both county landfills – North County and Lovelace – and both County parks – Micke Grove and Oak Grove last Saturday and Sunday, July 23 and 24. They leafleted users, getting out 1,000 flyers asking their neighbors to call the Board of Supervisors and demand the Supervisors prioritize fully staffing the services they need and paying enough to recruit and retain a quality workforce (.pdf) [is.gd/pk7dti]. Members have also been encouraged to contact the Board and communicate their feelings about its intransigence, an example (.pdf) [is.gd/Ynahx7].
Many of the drivers pulling up to the landfills and parks rolled down their windows, took the flyers and told SEIU 1021 members they would call the Supervisors, quite a few of them expressing their own frustrations with the politicians. Other cars passing by and seeing the now familiar sight of purple pickets honked in support.
SEIU 1021 is not the only union unable to negotiate a contract with the County and continues working with an expired contract. Nurses at SJGH and other county health facilities, members of the California Nurses Association (CNA), saw their contract expire six months ago and still can’t reach a reasonable agreement. Others include the In Home Support Services workers (SEIU Local 2015) and the Union of American Physicians and Dentists, as well as a slew of public safety unions representing the County’s Correctional Officers, the Sheriff’s Sergeants, the Sheriff’s Management and the Sheriff’s Non-Management employees.
“There’s a pattern of disrespect for the work of their employees,” Williams said. “The County needs to change its behavior and fulfill its duties as an employer. A good beginning toward that would be to show some leadership and direct its team to return to the table with an openness towards new proposals and the authority to negotiate.”
* "Cleveland labor leaders build opposition to Trump’s anti-worker policies" (2016-07-19, peoplesworld.org) [archive.is/YGRgY]
* "A week of triple digit temperatures to hit CA fields" (2016-07-21, ufw.org) [archive.is/txuJN] [begin excerpt]: “During the summer, it gets very hot … I am afraid to get sick because of the heat and to not come back to my home, to my daughters and my husband. It is very sad that the companies are more interested in their fruits than the workers.” - Antonia Osorio, Grape worker [end excerpt]
Read more, "Remarks by Arturo S. Rodriguez, President UFW on Settlement of Bautista v. State of California, June 11, 2015—Fresno, California" [archive.is/Gl9Wt]
* "Light from the Darkness: The New Iraqi Labor Law" video (Center for the Study of Working Class Life, State University of NY-Stony Brook) [vimeo.com/164793529]: This short documentary relates the story behind the enactment of a new labor law in Iraq, the struggle of the Iraqi labor movement for it, and the solidarity support provided by USLAW, Solidarity Center and the international labor movement.
HANDS OFF OUR HOMES!
* "Oakland City Council will let voters decide renter protections" (2016-07-26, seiu1021.org):
The housing crisis in Oakland has reached national proportions, with the city’s rental costs hitting the fourth highest in the country, behind San Francisco, New York, and Boston. Evictions of long-time Oakland residents have increased dramatically as landlords took advantage of the skyrocketing housing costs and demand spilling across the bay from the San Francisco tech expansion.
In the middle of this crisis, SEIU 1021 members joined with tenants, housing rights, community activists, labor unions and faith community supporters to advocate for declaring a housing state of emergency, instituting a 90-day moratorium on excessive rent increases and “just cause” evictions to give city officials time to develop policies to deal with the situation. The Oakland City Council passed it unanimously April 5.
At the same time, this coalition drafted a rent control ordinance to place long-term restrictions on rent increases and extend “just cause” eviction rights, and presented it to the City Council. After a few months of discussions with council members and the City Attorney, and with the help of Council member Rebecca Kaplan, the coalition agreed to a compromise measure. It was brought to the full council for a vote July 19.
This historic vote was the culmination of months of organizing, campaigning, actions, and coalition building by labor, housing, and community groups. SEIU 1021 was one of the leaders of this fight, and the union’s commitment shone that evening as more than 20 members gathered at the Council Chambers to show their support that night.
Hours of testimony dragged on as some 300 tenants and landlords took the opportunity to give the Council their perspectives. Tenants told heart-wrenching tales of losing their homes or of facing that prospect now, of evictions and evictions thinly disguised as rent increases. Small landlords told tales of not being able to cover the costs of repairs under current rent limitations let alone the new ones being considered. Large landlords didn’t show, knowing they would find little sympathy at the hearing. They hid behind the mom-and-pop ones, and sent only the president of the Oakland-Berkeley Realtors Association to make the long-discredited argument that rent control would drive business out of the area.
As the late night turned into early morning SEIU 1021 speakers finally got their turn at the mic. Joined by Josie Camacho, the Secretary-Treasurer of the Alameda Labor Council, and Andreas Cluver, Building and Construction Trades Council of Alameda County Secretary-Treasurer, the group of purple-clad members made their case together.
“I was born and raised in Oakland, and spent most of my life as a renter. In these many years I have never seen the level of avarice and greed that is plaguing this city today,” said Patricia Lopez, an SEIU 1021 member who works at the Alameda County Behavioral Health Services, read her full speech (.pdf) [is.gd/jeXiLC]. “It is shameful and disgraceful that people who have enough to live comfortably and well, so easily and readily succumb to the greed that is fueling this grab for money at the expense of the most vulnerable people in our society. How can you sleep at night knowing that doubling or tripling someone’s rent may leave a family faced with the possibility of homelessness, of forcing families and elderly people to leave homes they have occupied for years, neighborhoods they have grown up in and helped to create? But I guess you don’t sleep – rather you stay up all night figuring out ways to displace people, move them out of their communities just so that you can line your pockets with the leftovers from the rampages of big developers and Wall Street vultures.”
The Labor Council’s Camacho put the weight of the area’s unions on the scales.
“The Bay Area labor movement has united in the efforts to establish lasting tenant protections in Oakland because local working families are being forced out of their city due to tremendous rent hikes and evictions,” Camacho said. “Even union workers are finding it impossible to keep up with the rents in this real estate boom.”
Around 1:30 am Wednesday, July 20, about eight and a half hours into the Oakland City Council meeting, the council voted unanimously to place Rebecca Kaplan’s Renter Protection Act of 2016 on the November ballot.
The Renter’s Protection Act will:
- Require landlords to petition with the Rent Board for rent increases that exceed the Consumer Price Index.
- Expand Just Cause eviction protections to buildings constructed through 1995. The current date for protection is October 1980.
- Expand the duties and powers of the Rent Board and Rent Adjustment Program to increase accountability and effectiveness in implementing tenant protections. In particular, the measure will include the creation of a “Rent Registry” that will give tenant rights organizations and advocates better access to badly needed data.
- Provide relocation assistance when a tenant is required to relocate through no fault of their own
- Require annual notices of allowable rent increases
- Keep the exemption for owner-occupied duplexes and triplexes
Photo caption: SEIU 1021 member Patricia Lopez testifies in favor of renter protections at the Oakland City Council meeting July 19.
Documenting human-rights abuse by domestic security agencies
[NorthbayCopwatch.blogspot.com] [copblock.org] [wecopwatch.org] [filmingcops.com]
* "Over 55k Americans injured, killed by US police in just 1 yr – study" (2016-07-27, rt.com) [archive.is/UFGXs]
* "Police Union Lobbying Stymies Police Reform" (2016-07-24, laprogressive.com) [archive.is/35Zhm]
* "White House to Reauthorize Military Equipment for Police; The demilitarization of police, which often act like an occupying force in communities, is a key demand of Black Lives Matter activists" (2016-07-22, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/VpKPc]
* "Empathy Alone Won’t Stop Police Killings" (2016-07-14, ourfuture.org) [archive.is/WvU2g]
* "Why I Care so Much About Unbridled Police Brutality" (2016-07-08, by Cindy Sheehan) [archive.is/YiPNk]
* "Some Thoughts on Recent Police Killings (adapted from Herman Bell’s letter to a friend)" (2016-07-22, freehermanbell.org) [archive.is/zDy45]
* "Vallejo Police and Local Youth Work Together on Public Safety" (2016-07-22, Vallejo City Manager’s Bi-Weekly Report) (.pdf) [is.gd/OU44aM]:
On July 13 and 15, young Vallejo residents attending the "Summer of Success" program at Friendship Missionary Baptist Church worked together with police on how to ensure positive interactions during vehicle stops on July 13 and 15. The program, hosted by New Dawn Vallejo, was designed to focus on why vehicle car stops might occur, what the public should expect from officers, and the proper etiquette during police-resident interactions.
Sergeant Brenton Garrick took the time to talk to students about the the fear that many citizens have when they are pulled over by police, as well as the dangers to officers who often don’t know who they are going to encounter during routine vehicle stops.
By working together, the community and VPD can reduce and prevent discour-aging incidents for both police officers and the public they protect and serve. The VPD would like to thank New Dawn Vallejo for creating this opportunity to bring youth and officers together.
Vallejo Police Department Attends Services for Fallen Officers in Dallas, Texas -
VPD Corporal John Garcia and Officers Amanda Blain, Josh Coleman and Rashad Hollis travelled to Dallas, Texas on July 10 following the tragic event where five officers were killed in the line of duty. Officers from all over the nation gathered to pay their respects. The Vallejo Police Department would like to thank Southwest Airlines for making this trip possible.
* "Nebraska Law Ends “Policing For Profit” Via Asset Forfeiture" (2016-07-20, by Mike Maharrey) [archive.is/NEM1k]
* "Footage of California police killing unarmed teen prompts claim of 'trigger-happy' officers; Dylan Noble was killed after being pulled over at California gas station; Multiple shots were fired even as he was wounded and lying on his back" (2016-07-14, theguardian.com) [archive.is/tBOXh]
* "What's the difference between a hero and a coward?"
War on Police -
* "A Brief History of the "War on Cops": The False Allegation That Enables Police Violence" (2016-07-21, truth-out.org) [archive.is/4ucxU]
* "Police Officer Hospitalized After Served Glass; In His Sandwich Authorities have shut down the restaurant while they investigate how the incident happened" (2016-07-19, huffingtonpost.com) [archive.is/YuXcj]
* "Noodles & Co. apologizes after refusing to serve cop, union rep says" (2016-07-26, wusa9.com) [archive.is/zUhNE]
* "Freddie Gray Prosecutor Rips Police Dept., Defends Charges Against Officers" (2016-07-27, lawnewz.com) [archive.is/wi9jz]
NORTHBAY COPWATCH: Domestic Security Agencies and private-sector partners
* "What I Saw At The Alex Jones Fight With Communist Protester At #RNCinCLE" (2016-07-21, by Derrick Broze) [archive.is/Yn8cC]: On Tuesday July 19, I attended the protests outside of the Republican National Convention in the Public Square in Cleveland, Ohio. The Square was filled with a large presence of protesters, police, and supporters of radio show host Alex Jones.
I began to make my way through the crowd in an attempt to question Jones on his support for Republican Presidential candidate Donald Trump. As Jones bullhorned his way through the mass of people Anti-Jones protesters could be heard screaming “Nazi Scum!”.
From my perspective (shown in the video) Jones went directly to the counter-protesters as he attempted to make an exit from the growing audience. The video clearly shows the protester with the red flag bump Jones with his forearm. The protester did not throw a punch or shove Jones, but gave him a slight bump. Alex Jones responded by diving at the protester causing a melee of cops, protesters, and Jones supporters, video [https://youtu.be/QXvBYjfCtYA], IWW photo [archive.is/lara9].
Immediately after this happened the police rolled in with their bikes and began smashing against anyone standing in their way, violently shoving me back.
Alex Jones was escorted to his car by the police, captured by the excellent Press For Truth video by Dan Dicks below [https://youtu.be/WrsQNNSnZ6U].
After the fight, the authorities erected a mini-police state around the Public Square that continued for the rest of the day and night.
See the video below for an interview with the communist protester to hear his side [https://youtu.be/2bayn7VmhU0].
* "Facebook admits it blocked links to DNC email leaks after censorship accusations" (2016-07-26, rt.com) [archive.is/7P4r4]
* "Facebook Admits It Blocked Links to Wikileaks DNC Emails" (2016-07-26, gizmodo.com) [archive.is/RrApf]
How USA DHS private-sector partner facebook.com censors news media for the purposes of the new Cold War...
The following news page in its previous, now censored, page did not contain calls for violence, anti-Americanism, or pornography. Their sole purpose was to show photographs of northern Korea collected by travelers, businessmen, and academic visitors, all of which showed a contradiction to the USA State Dept. narrative that northern Korea was "closed off, a Hermit Kingdom, where everybody starved"...
* (Explore DPRK, facebook.com/ExploreDPRK) [archive.is/4w5R2]:
Our previous fanpage was taken down...
We are sure, it was an action performed by some anti-DPRK people who still try to break down every single media which is posting real news about the DPRK...
Our new website will start as soon as possible. We're more than ready to fight to show the truth!
NORTHBAY COPWATCH: Five-Eyes, and other transnational partners
* "Atlanta mayor rejects demand to end Israel police training" (2016-07-21, by Rania Khalek) [archive.is/t7wXg]
from the Committee to
FREE 'EM ALL!
End the Drug War! Stop Jim Crow! Close the Torture Chambers! [solitarywatch.com] [facebook.com/incarceratedworkers] [supportprisonerresistance.noblogs.org] [denverabc.wordpress.com] [prisonlegalnews.org] [prisonbooks.info] [nycabc.wordpress.com] [powmedicaljustice.com] [sacprisonersupport.wordpress.com]. Become a Human Rights Pen Pal! [link].
* "Political Prisoners 101: The "Mu" Brothers; How is it that Jose Mujica, an ex-guerrilla, can become president of a country while Mutulu Shakur continues to rot behind U.S. penitentiary walls?" (2016-07-25, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/AA35t]
* "GUANTÁNAMO REFUSES TO RELEASE ‘MISTAKEN IDENTITY’ PRISONER AFTER 9 YEARS WITHOUT LAWYER" (2016-07-23, reprieve.org) [archive.is/ezreM]
* "Gitmo Board Refuses to Release 'Mistaken Identity' Prisoner After 9 Years; Guantanamo’s Periodic Review Board's (PRB) has refused to free an Afghan prisoner from the detention camp, despite an alleged case of mistaken identity, an international human rights organization said Sunday" (2016-07-24, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/cMQhK]
articles recommended by the
SAN PABLO BAY ECOLOGICAL PRESERVATION ASSOCIATION
Campaigns, info, and more [SanPabloBayEPA.blogspot.com]. Science [discardstudies.com]. [blog.savesfbay.org]
* "Confirmed: California Aquifers Contaminated With Billions Of Gallons of Fracking Wastewater" (2014-10-07, desmogblog.com) [archive.is/7pqEF]
* "Waste Water from Oil Fracking Injected into Clean Aquifers; California Dept. of Conservation Deputy Director admits that errors were made" (2014-11-14, nbcbayarea.com) [archive.is/Y35jI]
* "Agencies admit failing to protect water sources from fuel pollution" (2015-03-11, latimes.com) [archive.is/132Yy]
* "Children given lifelong ban on talking about fracking Two Pennsylvanian children will live their lives under a gag order imposed under a $750,000 settlement" (2013-08-05, theguardian.com) [archive.is/7bmKj]
* "American Canyon development impacts: ‘Significant and unavoidable’ " (2016-07-25, napavalleyregister.com) [archive.is/YMcRM]
* "Western Canada Oil Spill Drenches Birds, Will Taint Drinking Water for Months to Come; 200,000 liters of crude oil spilled into North Saskatchewan River, soaking local wildlife and forcing cities to shut off public water supply" (2016-07-26, commondreams.org) [archive.is/zQ788]
* "Worse Than Keystone XL? TransCanada's Terrifying "Plan B" ; "TransCanada's Energy East proposal is truly Keystone XL on steroids," says Natural Resources Defense Council" (2016-07-26, commondreams.org) [archive.is/xLN7K]
SAN PABLO BAY EPA: Health and the Human Ecology
Monopolists enforce a regime that does not recognize the natural right to health and life. Info [detoxproject.org].
* "EWG Lists the Top Ten Toxic Chemicals EPA Should Review; Now Americans are exposed daily to these chemicals found in consumer products" (2016-07-21, ewg.org) [archive.is/KwNZf]
* " 'It’s so crazy it seems unreal': Florida enviro regulators to vote on weakened water standards" (2016-07-26, rt.com) [archive.is/u5lLG]
SAN PABLO BAY EPA: Save The Birds [link]! and the Bees [link]!
A campaign to preserve and expand the habitat and populations of pollinators in the San Pablo Bay Area.
* "Common pesticide kills up to 40% of sperm in bees, possibly leading to shrinking population – study" (2016-07-27, rt.com) [archive.is/EAyU4]
articles recommended by the
NO NUKES! campaign
[StopNuclearDeath.blogspot.com] [nuclear-news.net] [nukeresister.org] [nukefree.org]
* "Pacific Ocean radiation back near normal after Fukushima: study" (2016-07-04, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/szMAx]
* "All cards on the table: First-use of nuclear weapons" (2016-07-25, warontherocks.com) [archive.is/yEdRI]
* "Nuclear weapons in Turkey are destabilizing, but not for the reason you think" (2016-07-22, warontherocks.com) [archive.is/YYap5]
articles recommended by the
SAN PABLO BAY SOVEREIGNTY Think-tank
* "Ultra-thin Solar Cells Can Easily Bend Around a Pencil" (2016-07-20, publishing.aip.org) [archive.is/vsCX6]
* "New milestone in printed photovoltaic technology; FAU researchers develop new material for efficient and sustainable organic solar cells as an alternative to standard silicon cells" (2016-06-23, fau.eu) [archive.is/sUg7Z]
ANIMAL RIGHTS: Save the Whales!
* "Mexico bans gillnets to protect endangered porpoise" (2016-07-21, AFP Newswire) [archive.is/8MYQs]
UNITED STATES FASCISM WATCH
Documenting the process of fascism and for whom it benefits. [UnitedStatesFascism.blogspot.com] [exposefacts.org]
* "Did Jamie Dimon’s Secret Meetings With Competitors Violate Antitrust Laws?" (2016-07-22, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/oUdTN]
* "Are Wall Street Banks in Trouble? You’d Never Know from the Headlines" (2016-07-21, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/IZKIe]
* "Fighting the Liberal Reaction" (2016-07-26, commondreams.org) [archive.is/NIsmv] [begin excerpt]: Indeed, political divisions now go beyond traditional left – right differences. The present reality is marked by a diverse struggle between revolutionaries and reactionaries. “Reformers” want not so much incremental change than the return to a recent past when they were the only credible alternative to Conservative rule. In the wake of contemporary upheavals they have upped the ante of this conventional Liberal wager – setting the stakes as a contest between themselves or the risk of a fascist apocalypse.
Consequently, while the term “reactionary” is often thrown around almost indiscriminately against all those who are not seen as “radical enough” – in this case it is fully warranted. The literal meaning of the term is a person or group who wishes to return to status quo ante translated from Latin as the “time before the war”. This is precisely the desire of modern Liberals – to turn back time to before the current “war of progress” where their lurch to the Right was seen as a necessary evil and everything to the Left of complete capitalist surrender was relegated to the political fringes. [end excerpt]
* "Anyone who threatens US values will fail in the end, says Barack Obama; Asking his countrymen to vote for Hillary Clinton, Obama narrated the values he was taught by his Kansas grandparents" (2016-07-28, indianexpress.com) [archive.is/6Q2ES] [begin excerpt]: US President Barack Obama on Thursday said that anyone who challenges or threatens longstanding American values “cherished” by people of every faith and race will fail eventually as he made a strong case for “fighter” Hillary Clinton’s presidency.
Asking his countrymen to vote for Hillary Clinton, Obama narrated the values he was taught by his Kansas grandparents – the story he told at the Boston convention 12 years ago.
“Anyone who threatens our values, whether fascists or communists or jihadists or homegrown demagogues, will always fail in the end,” Obama, 54, said in his address to the Democratic National Convention. [...]
Obama said his grandparents did not like “show-offs”, “braggarts” or “bullies” and had no respect for “mean-spiritedness” or people who were always looking for shortcuts in life. “Instead, they valued traits like honesty and hard work. Kindness and courtesy. Humility; responsibility; helping each other out,” he said.
“That’s what they believed in. True things. Things that last. The things we try to teach our kids. And what my grandparents understood was that these values weren’t limited to Kansas. They weren’t limited to small towns,” Obama said.
They knew these values weren’t reserved for one race; they could be passed down to a half-Kenyan grandson, or a half-Asian granddaughter; they were the same values Michelle’s parents, the descendants of slaves, taught their own kids living in a bungalow on the South Side of Chicago, he said.
“America has changed over the years. But these values my grandparents taught me – they haven’t gone anywhere. They’re as strong as ever; still cherished by people of every party, every race, and every faith. They live on in each of us.
“What makes us American, what makes us patriots, is what’s in here. That’s what matters. That’s why we can take the food and music and holidays and styles of other countries, and blend it into something uniquely our own,” Obama said. He said it was because of these shared values the US attracts strivers and entrepreneurs from around the globe. [...]
“That’s America. Those bonds of affection; that common creed. We don’t fear the future; we shape it, embrace it, as one people, stronger together than we are on our own. That’s what Hillary Clinton understands – this fighter, stateswoman, this mother and grandmother, this public servant, this patriot – that’s the America she’s fighting for,” he said. [end excerpt]
* "Capitalism vs. communism on the streets of Cleveland" (2016-07-21, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/wtwvH] [begin excerpt]: Many of the capitalists were from a group called Turning Point, and they wore shirts saying "Socialism sucks." That was also one of their chants as they chased the communists.
"Communism has led to the deaths of over 100 million people," said Timon Prax, 19, a student at Cleveland State and one of the people waving pro-capitalist signs. Nick Cocca, 21, of Youngstown, who carried a sign saying Taxation Is Theft, said, "We're just here to make sure that capitalism and the free market and the Constitution are represented."
From Public Square the two groups meandered to the Veterans Memorial Park, then a block east to 6th Street.
"Look around you! Inequality's rising to levels not seen since the 1920s!" Mahoney, carrying a red flag and leading the way for the communists, shouted at his pursuers.
But the capitalists shot back: How can you be against capitalism if you have a smartphone?
"I can contact my loving mother whenever I want. It's innovation!" Prax told a reporter. [end excerpt]
Explanation: "Communism" did not kill "100 million" during the 20th century as the statistics proving this were fabricated by academics like Robert Conquest... who was literally pro-Nazi and used his position of academic influence to censor not only Nazi war crimes, but also the war crimes and starvation policies of capitalist regimes. On the other hand, "communism" in the old Soviet Union saved tens of millions of lives by successfully ending the historical famines that regularly afflicted Eurasia since the dawn of history, an act impossible even in the USA where thousands of working-class families starve for lack of food!
As for the canard against the anti-capitalist who uses a "capitalist phone"... it is the workers who made the phone. All a capitalist does is exploit the workers and foreign resources to make money. Without capitalists, there would still be phones and technological progress. After all, the old Soviet Union was first in Space and in Cybernetics in the 1950s even after the desolation wrought on them during World War 2 of the 1940s!
These two points (about the "100 million dead" and capitalist scientific innovation) are all that fascists have to use in order to attack socialism, though both are flimsy arguments easily disproved.
White American Nationalists sincerely believe that chattel slavery was the best system for New Africans, as shown by a recent controversy by First Lady Michelle Obama...
* "The Whitewashed House; During her 2016 Democratic National Convention speech, Michelle Obama asserted that the White House had been built using slave labor. And she was right" (2016-07-26, snopes.com) [archive.is/fRfhQ]
* "PolitiFact Schools White People Who Refused to Believe White House Was Built by Slaves; First lady Michelle Obama gave an amazing speech Monday night at the Democratic National Convention, but when she mentioned that the White House was built by slaves, it stirred up quite a debate" (2016-07-26, theroot.com) [archive.is/k2z1t]
* "Bill O'Reilly's Fact Check of Michelle Obama's Slavery Speech Is Weak Sauce, Even for Him" (2016-07-26, mic.com) [archive.is/8dUON]
* "O’Reilly on Michelle Obama Speech: Slaves That Built WH Were ‘Well Fed and Had Decent Lodgings’ " (2016-07-26, mediaite.com) [archive.is/vJObO]
* "Bill O’Reilly’s Comment on Slaves Who Built White House Has a Long History" (2016-07-27, time.com) [archive.is/YZTbf] [begin excerpt]: But O’Reilly’s comments might not have surprised anyone familiar with the history in question.
As Edward L. Ayers, President Emeritus of the University of Richmond, explains to TIME, the idea that people in slavery in America were well-fed and cared for is one of the oldest rationalizations of the nation’s history of slavery. [...]
So the people who wanted to keep slavery around had to figure out a way to defend it as a positive good, especially against those who had moral, not economic, arguments. One defense was religious, pointing out that being enslaved had introduced people to Christianity. The other main defense was that American slaves were better off, in terms of living conditions, than they would have been in Africa or in another slave society. The idea was exemplified by people like Thomas R. Dew, who wrote in 1832 that “A merrier being does not exist on the face of the globe, than the negro slave of the United States” and that “the slaves of a good master” were “accustomed to look up to him as their supporter, director and defender.” (Even in his own time, Dew’s arguments were fiercely disputed.)
“When the pro-slavery defense crystallized,” Ayers says, “the material welfare of the enslaved people in the United States was always held up as the example of its benign nature.”
That so-called welfare wasn’t the defense that slavery’s boosters thought it was. For example, if slaves in the U.S. lived longer than slaves in other places, that wasn’t a sign that slavery was a benevolent institution. It was a sign that the economics of cotton were such that, as Ayers puts it, “it wasn’t worth working someone to death.” [...]
“No matter how materially adequate [slavery] might have been, in terms of nutrition or whatever,” Ayers says, “you could wake up any day and your children could be sold.” [end excerpt]
* "Conservatives Have Racist Flip Out After Michelle Obama Says Slaves Built The White House" (2016-07-26, bipartisanreport.com) [archive.is/qh1PI]
* "Historians Reveal Truth About Michelle’s Claim That Slaves Built the White House" (2016-07-26, conservativetribune.com) [archive.is/zheCM]
* "Obama Claims White House Built By Slaves; Here’s the Truth" (2016-07-26, thefederalistpapers.org) [archive.is/AjTDt]
The one conclusion to make from the above "conservative" articles is that anybody who is not White that makes any serious study of USA history are themselves racist!
USA FASCISM: "Libertarianism & Constitutionalism" to benefit private bureaucracies
Muh Objectivist Utopia! #Bioshock #AndrewRyan #AynRand
USA FASCISM: Two Party Dictatorship
* "John Dewey Was Right: American Politics Is Merely the Shadow Cast by Big Business" (2016-07-21, commondreams.org) [archive.is/74Ond]
* "Wall Street takes a road trip to Philadelphia; Financial services donors crowd the Democratic convention, raising the ire of progressives" (2016-07-25, politico.com) [archive.is/BgRdn]
* "George Soros rises again; The billionaire, who had dialed back his giving, has committed more than $25 million to supporting Hillary Clinton and other Democratic candidates and causes" (2016-07-27, politico.com) [archive.is/2s3Qu]
* "Pentagon wants Clinton, racists want Trump — either way Wall St. wins" (2016-07-18, liberationnews.org) [archive.is/EXioS]
* "5 ways Clinton will be great for fighting Putin, according to Albright" (2016-07-27, rt.com) [archive.is/9oUV0]
"Known as a “centrist” governor of Virginia, Kaine supported restrictions on abortion and angered environmentalists by fighting for a controversial coal-fired power plant in Wise County. He declared “I strongly support” Virginia’s anti-union “right-to-work” law and denigrated critics of corporate-friendly trade deals as having a “loser’s mentality.” He criticized Democrats in 2011 for seeking a higher tax rate on millionaires. In the U.S. Senate since 2013, he has consistently ranked as one of the least progressive Democrats and was one of only a dozen Democrats who supported Trans-Pacific Partnership Fast Track last year."
* "Activists demonstrate against ‘warmongering’ Hillary Clinton at DNC" (2016-07-26, rt.com) [archive.is/Qx18g]
* "Top Pollster Just Gave Hillary Clinton Some Really Bad News" (2016-07-25, usuncut.com) [archive.is/yhdhO]
* "CNN analyst: Sexism explains Clinton disapproval" (2016-07-27, thehill.com) [archive.is/OtfPu]
* "Robert Kagan and Other Neocons Are Backing Hillary Clinton" (2016-07-25, theintercept.com) [archive.is/LQ3U8]
* "Liberals lash out at Tim Kaine over banking letter" (2016-07-21, politico.com) [archive.is/u0bhN]
* "If Democrats Think Mike Pence Is An Extremist, Will They Stop Supporting His Education Policies?" (2016-07-21, educationopportunitynetwork.org) [archive.is/kTtzT]
* "teleSUR Host Abby Martin Released After Violent Arrest at DNC; Martin was covering the DNC protests in Philadelphia for teleSUR" (2016-07-25, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/5J1A9]
* (2016-07-25, twitter.com/MikePrysner) [archive.is/Ib1db]: UPDATE: @AbbyMartin just released; in high spirits, except for wrists nearly broken by psycho cop. #FreeAbbyMartin
* "DNC 2016: Worlds Collide as Bernie Meets Hillary" (2016-07-26, progressive.org) [archive.is/hCFX2]
* "In Defense of My Fellow Sanders Delegates" (2016-07-27, commondreams.org) [archive.is/wwFb6], photo caption: Pro-Sanders protesters marched from City Hall to the Wells Fargo Center where the Democratic National Convention is being held this week.
* "How i got detained and kicked out of the DNC. A disappointing story about how the first amendment doesn't mean shit anymore" (2016-07-26, by Matthew Finkelstein, CA Delegate to DNC) [archive.is/53QMI]:
So I'm at the DNC and of course i'm having the time of my life because I am wandering the halls in my eclectic pink outfit and wearing a big red clown nose. Obviously I am the center of attention and reporters are lining up to get a sample of my antics. I am loving this life. The obvious question "Why the nose?" was answered straight away... "This nose is on my face as an homage to the way these elections were run. Obviously this election was the height of equitable treatment, objective democracy, and the DNC is the most impartial institution in this country. . . ON OPPOSITE DAY! J/K This election has been a total clown show!" and then I proceeded to cut up on camera with intermittent bursts of real conviction. At some point some folks in the Hillary camp took notice of what i was doing and being offended they approached a police officer. That's when they started to tail me. Oh well... I'm still within my constitutional rights, but I'm getting nervous. So i went back into the delegation and hid next to Susan. During the speeches I was dropping more sarcastic bombs than Hilary dropped actual bombs on Libya and that's what did it. An off color joke about Hillary being warlord in chief and one offended veteran. He got up in my face and told me i was not patriotic. I said, sit down you goon! Still sitting down I explained calmly that throwing away American lives pointlessly wasn't exactly at the top of my list of patriotic behavior. That was enough for the cops though. they immediately asked me to step outside. By the time I got to the hallway I noticed that there were about 20 cops waiting for me. What a shit show. I asked if I was being detained. People with cameras surrounded us. They said no. I put on my red nose and then turned around and began to walk away. That was when i was officially detained. "I want a lawyer, preferably a good Jewish one" That was my answer to every single one of their questions from that point on. They escort me to the police HQ in the arena and I am surrounded by officers all of them just looking at me. There are pallets of water. I get cottonmouth like a motherfucker. "Can I have a little water?" "NO" says the spiky haired short cop who has clearly spent a lifetime compensating for a bad childhood. At this point they demand to see my ID. I take out my wallet. It's not there. I totes forgot I left my ID with Susan and all my other red noses. This is getting complicated. They ask for my name and street address. I ask for a bottle of water. They still refuse. Some random guy comes by with two bottles of water. I ask for one and speedily uncap it going for a power drink. Spiky hair with the bad childhood grabs it from my hand blasting water all over the cops and myself. He puts the squeezed bottle on the table in front of us. His childhood hasn't gotten any better. I proclaim to everyone "I for sure licked the top of the bottle, so that one's mine." Detective hands me a bottle of water. "Thank you brother! That's mighty decent of you." I immediately give out my real name and address hopefully showing bad childhood cop that compassion is a better way to illicit cooperation than reliving the trauma of your past by inflicting it on others indefinitely. I am ejected from the DNC and I'm not sure if I'm barred from coming back. i highly doubt it will be a problem to get back in but lord knows i'm gonna try. After all, if they thought the red nose was harsh.... wait till they get a load of the Blue Meanie.
* "The RNC Was Not the End of the GOP, it Was its Rebirth as a Fascist Party The Republican Party was reborn last night -- as an outright fascist party" (2016-07-22, thedailybanter.com) [archive.is/Or9kq]
* "Trump’s Trickle-Down Ticket; Donald Trump's VP pick signals a commitment to slashing taxes for millionaires and cutting services for everyone else" (2016-07-27, otherwords.org) [archive.is/gSJ1H]
* "SEIU’s Henry on Trump’s nonsensical minimum wage comments" (2016-07-27, seiu.org) [archive.is/59oQp]
* "If Trump’s Speech Sounded Familiar, That’s Because Nixon Gave It First; Donald Trump’s law-and-order message is strikingly similar to the speech Richard Nixon delivered in 1968" (2016-07-21, thenation.com) [archive.is/Ws3rX]
* "Nixon, Hitler, and Nationalism: Donald Trump's Speech Triggers Alarm Bells; Trump's speech ultimately 'signaled his determination to exploit fears of violence as part of crusade to seize the White House' " (2016-07-22, commondreams.org) [archive.is/fwgNy]
* "Trump convention an intentional roll-out of falsehoods by the right" (2016-07-19, peoplesworld.org) [archive.is/asRsX]
* "Republican convention: Trump advisor calls for Hillary Clinton’s execution" (2016-07-20, peoplesworld.org) [archive.is/nhwFD]
* "Male escorts are making big bucks at the Republican National Convention" (2016-07-22, gaystarnews.com) [archive.is/1sAiv]
* "Trump: 'laziness is a trait in blacks ... I believe that' " (2016-07-20, dailykos.com) [archive.is/BIb0L]
A similar quote was mis-attributed to Donald Trump...
* "Doubt of Africa: Several African web sites claimed Donald Trump described black people as lazy and prone to crime, but we were unable to find any evidence supporting the rumor" (2015-10-27, snopes.com) [archive.is/6yPtA]
* "I Know Why Poor Whites Chant Trump, Trump, Trump" (2016-04-01, stirjournal.com) [archive.is/zn9gE] [begin excerpt]: My trailer was parked in the middle of Walmart country, which is also home to J.B. Hunt Transportation, Glad Manufacturing, and Tyson Chicken. There is a whole lot of money in that pocket of Arkansas, but the grand wealth casts an oppressive shadow over a region entrenched in poverty. Executive mansions line the lakefronts and golf courses. On the other side of Country Club Road, trailer parks are tucked back in the woods. The haves and have-nots rarely share the same view, with one exception: politics. Benton County has been among the most historically conservative counties in Arkansas. The last Democratic president Benton County voted for was Harry S. Truman, in 1948.
There is an unavoidable question about places like Benton County, a question many liberals have tried to answer for years now: Why do poor whites vote along the same party lines as their wealthy neighbors across the road? Isn’t that against their best interests?
Ask a Republican, and they’ll probably say conservatives are united by shared positions on moral issues: family values, religious freedom, the right to life, the sanctity of marriage, and, of course, guns.
Ask a Democrat the same question, and they might mention white privilege, but they’re more likely to describe conservatives as racist, sexist, homophobic gun nuts who believe Christianity should be the national religion. [...]
What is it about a flamboyant millionaire that appeals to poor white conservatives? Why do they believe a Trump presidency would amplify their voices? The answer may lie in America’s historical relationship between the wealthiest class and the army of poor whites who have loyally supported them.
From the time of slavery (yes, slavery) to the rise of Donald Trump, wealthy elites have relied on the allegiance of the white underclass to retain their affluence and political power.
* "Inside Trump’s financial ties to Russia and his unusual flattery of Vladimir Putin" (2016-07-17, washingtonpost.com) [archive.is/91mrZ]
* "Trump says he ‘never met Putin’ — despite bragging about meeting him just last year" (2016-07-27, rawstory.com) [archive.is/6Xvk0]
* "Here’s the Deal With That Putin 60 Minutes Episode Trump Mentioned" (2015-11-11, time.com) [archive.is/ImPWl]
* "Gary Johnson Polls in Double Digits in Two More Key Battleground States" (2016-07-18, ivn.us) [archive.is/Vf9ax]
* "After Chaotic Weekend for Democrats and Wasserman Schultz, A Class Action Lawsuit Lies Ahead" (2016-07-25, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/amhxp]
* "With DNC Leaks, Former ‘Conspiracy Theory’ Is Now True––and No Big Deal" (2016-07-24, fair.org) [archive.is/F3pv9] [begin excerpt]: For months, Bernie Sanders supporters and surrogates have complained about unfair treatment from the Democratic National Committee—only to have these concerns dismissed by media observers as petulance and conspiracy-mongering:
"The Sanders campaign, by propagating these DNC conspiracy theories, doesn’t encourage voters to be vigilant. They’re encouraging paranoia." — Jamil Smith (@JamilSmith) December 26, 2015 [...]
While it’s impossible to know whether systemic pro-Hillary Clinton bias at the DNC was decisive in the 2016 Democratic primary race, we now know beyond any doubt that such a bias not only existed, but was endemic and widespread. DNC officials worked to plant pro-Clinton stories, floated the idea of using Sanders’ secular Judaism against him in the South, and routinely ran PR spin for Clinton, even as the DNC claimed over and over it was neutral in the primary. The evidence in the leaks was so clear that Debbie Wasserman Schultz has resigned her role as DNC chair—after her speaking role at the Democratic National Convention this week was scrapped—while DNC co-chair Donna Brazile, who is replacing Wasserman Schultz in the top role, has apologized to the Sanders camp.
Pro-Clinton pundits were quick to dismiss what was literally a conspiracy to railroad the Sanders campaign as nothing more than a yawn. [...]
So what was once dismissed out of hand—that the DNC was actively working against the Sanders campaign—is now obviously true, but not a big deal. This is a textbook PR spin pattern seen time and time again, what might be called the Snowden Cycle: X is a flaky conspiracy theory → X is revealed to be true → X is totally obvious and not newsworthy. [end excerpt]
* "Wikileaks Emails Bring New Attention to Hillary Victory Fund “Money Laundering” Charges" (2016-07-26, wallstreetonparade.com) [archive.is/TYqqF]
* "Leak Confirms DNC Aimed to Squash Questions Over Clinton Fundraising Scheme; Officials privately worked to shut down concerns about distribution of money, Politico reports" (2016-07-26, commondreams.org) [archive.is/Xo8w6]
* "Wikileaks Proves Primary Was Rigged: DNC Undermined Democracy 20,000 freshly leaked emails reveal resentful disdain toward Sanders, as party favored Clinton long before any votes were cast" (2016-07-22, observer.com) [archive.is/gWgcb]
* "DNC Heads Called Sanders 'Stupid,' a 'Mess' and a 'Liar': Leak; Leaders of the U.S. Democratic Party did not take Bernie Sanders's campaign seriously, according to leaked DNC emails" (2016-07-22, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/0jcXh]
The State Dept. faction dominant over the Democrat Party is using the keyword "Confirmation Bias" to dismiss any and all evidence of illegal vote rigging. Here's an example:
* "Let Me Address This Ridiculousness Surrounding the DNC Email Hack ‘Controversy’ " (2016-07-23, forwardprogressives.com) [archive.is/PLLWn] [begin excerpt]: In my writing I mention the term “confirmation bias” quite often. If you’re unaware of what that means, it’s basically defined as the tendency for people to seek out information which confirms something they already want to believe. It doesn’t matter if that information is factual, or even logical, just as long as it feeds into whatever preconceived notions they already have.
Well, an example of confirmation bias was never more prevalent than when a new round of hacked DNC emails were made public, with some Sanders supports claiming these “prove the primary election was rigged against Bernie.” Shockingly, nobody has shown a specific action (at least any that were credible) where the DNC did anything that actually led to Clinton winning a state (and don’t even give me “voter fraud” — if you believe that, then just stop reading this). [end excerpt]
- DNC member killing horses for insurance money. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/578]
- DNC making fun of black womans name. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/17942]
- DNC telling each other, "I love you too. no homo." [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/425]
- DNC requesting a pull an MSNBC commentary segment. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/6107]
- DNC controlling the narrative with time released stories. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/12450]
- DNC conspiring to create false Trump information and release with Reuters. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/7102]
- DNC Hillary supporters infiltrated Sanders campaign. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/4776]
- DNC members going to complain to Morning Joe producers about his mentioning of a "rigged system." [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/8806]
- DNC discussing their relationship with NBC/MSNBC/CNN and how to get better treatment. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/13762]
- Super PAC paying young voters to push back online Sanders supporters. Paid shills. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/8351]
- DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz having an off the record meeting in MSNBC President Phil Griffin's office. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/8867]
- DNC being messed with by the Washington Examiner. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/5304]
- DNC discussing Hillary's policies as unfeasible. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/519]
- $200k for a private dinner with Hillary. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/17287]
- Offering to send interns out to fake a protest against the RNC. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/13366]
- Faking outrage and pasting in a video later. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/7102]
- A mole working inside of the Sanders campaign. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/7793]
- Bringing up Sanders religion to scare the southern voters. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/11508]
- Possible money laundering by moving money back and forth to bypass legal limits. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/6230]
- Politico writer sending his stories to the DNC before he sends them to his editor. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/10808]
- DNC feeding CNN the questions they want to be asked in interviews. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/4077]
- Creating a fake job ad for a Trump business to paint him as a sexist. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/12803]
- Hillary funding 2 million dollars in a cooridanted campaign in battleground states to win back the Senate. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/7784]
- DNC is upset that their "allies" didn't send in protestors so they sent out interns. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/13366]
- "Clinton Foundation quid-pro-quo worries are lingering, will be exploited in general." [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/8351]
- $50,000 - Lawrence Benenson. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/14700]
- Daily Fundraising Report for the DNC. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/2875]
- Content & Social Strategy Discussion. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/7512]
- Re: BuzzFeed and DNC connection. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/10933]
- Draft linking news articles about trump to use as negative press. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/7586]
- Fwd: State Dinner Countdown. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/1901]
- Re: State Dinner Countdown. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/2946]
- Tim O'Brien: Trump's Fixation on Inflating his Net Worth is a Cause for Concern. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/4496]
- RE: May Fundraising Numbers. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/5615] [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/7720]
- Hillary for America Raised $26.4 Million in April, Began May with More than $30 Million Cash on Hand. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/13986]
- Re: For approval: Trump supporter graphics. [https://www.wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/788]
- Press talking points, states Hillary is their candidate, dated May 5, 2016. More of a smoking gun than the ambiguous talk in the emails themselves. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/fileid/5254/2728]
- Consultant calling megyn kelly a bimbo. Has PDF attached that says the same. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/6087]
- DNC trying to get away with violating the Hatch Act. [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/20148]
- Democrats using interns to organize fake "protests." [https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/13830]
- RE: Action on DNC tomorrow (Immigration Raids). [https://www.wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/9736]
Of course, the USA State Dept. knows how to divert attention by deferring to their major state enemy...
* (2016-07-24, Red Martin) [archive.is/AzOdj]: So now the conversation in the U.S. media is not the wrongness of the DNC's action but how poor Hillary is the victim of a Russian plot. Pathetic. This is nothing more than an attempt to get the conversation off of this latest email scandal and her disappointing yet predictable choice for VP. Sad and desperate, there is no depth she want stoop to, lying, rigging, cheating, selling out to anyone with a checkbook to get her talons on the US presidency.
* "Fact-Checking That “Trump & Putin” Thing" (2016-07-24, medium.com) [archive.is/RWTFR]
* "Trump & Putin. Yes, It's Really a Thing" (2016-07-23, talkingpointsmemo.com) [archive.is/GO9lo]
* "Hillary's Campaign Manager Calls DNC Leaks a Putin Plot to Help Trump; Hillary Clinton’s campaign has decided to double down on their bid to cast Trump as a secret agent of the Kremlin propped up by Russian President Vladimir Putin despite the obvious absurdity of the narrative" (2016-07-24, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/YgioU]
* "They’re With Her: US Media Uses Putin, Russia to Label Trump a Traitor; Democrats use media to disperse anti-Russian propaganda in a bid to bloody Trump’s campaign with far-fetched suggestions including that the billionaire real estate tycoon is conspiring with Putin to invade his wife’s hometown" (2016-07-23, sputniknews.com) [archive.is/3jmbE]
* "How Putin Weaponized Wikileaks to Influence the Election of an American President" (2016-07-24, defenseone.com) [archive.is/35DJv]
* "Bears in the Midst: Intrusion into the Democratic National Committee" (2016-06-15, crowdstrike.com) [archive.is/yptQQ]
* "U.S. Media Blames Putin Conspiracy for Homegrown Trump Phenomenon; Trump is whichever villain the media wants him to be" (2016-07-20, alternet.org) [archive.is/rFqEp]
The tragic evolution of the "radical liberal" -
Like those "Trot Commies" of the 1970s who became neo-Conservative, the liberal radical goes on a journey of political awakening towards membership in the Republican Party to help kill millions for the glorious "Trump Revolution" austerity regime... because at some time, "You Have To Grow Up!" (See Yuppies and the Reagan Revolution)
USA FASCISM: State Media Watch
Documenting propaganda issued by the monopolist media and members of the state security regime that uphold the economic dictatorship, imperialist wars, and the "New Jim Crow" regime [mediamatters.org]
The "Liberal"-oriented monopolist media is beholden to the corporations responsible for untold millions of deaths across the world, yet are able to shape perceptions of their established system of monopoly through control over the media with advertising, subsidized as many of these corporations are by Federal military and security contracts, hence, the essence of State Media.
An example of this is presented with the following advertisements placed with the "Liberal" Atlantic monthly newsmagazine and online news journal (retrieved 2016-07):
- MSNBC [archive.is/pE4ar]: "This is who we are", The Pros - They've covered the stories, explained the complicated issues and been a reassuring voice during tough times. They are the Pros. The newsroom is their home. They guide us through the events of our lives. We feel like we know them. And after all we've been through together... we do.
- Citi [archive.is/mw48m]: "A Watershed for Watersheds"
- Fidelity [archive.is/XWpJH]: "Why Consumer Staples should be on your shopping list"
- Charles Schwab [archive.is/UvHDg]
- JP Morgan Chase & Co. [archive.is/PiozN]: "The big difference small business can make"
- Amazon [archive.is/Ts2Cz]: "#haveKINDLEwillTRAVEL"
- Microsoft Cloud [archive.is/CtJm7]: "Cloud-Invested Future"
- Pfizer [archive.is/DwonO]: "The Race toward a New Medicine is always a marathon", which benefited from the publishing of "The Assault on Antidepressants Twenty-three years after Listening to Prozac, Peter Kramer comes to the drug’s defense" (2016-07, theatlantic.com) [archive.is/bCNBA]
- Nationwide Children's [archive.is/KO1sF]: "What if pediatricians could have a genomic blueprint for every child?"
- The Atlantic presents... Aspen Ideas Festival [archive.is/lbG3j], underwriters:
information collected by the
SOLANO PEACE, JUSTICE, AND FREEDOM COALITION
[SolanoPeaceJustice.blogspot.com], for justice, dignity and human rights in accordance with the 1966 International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (.pdf) [is.gd/TftqGs], and an end to the USA's endless wars, in harmony with Principle 1 & 6 of International Law [archive.is/tmncz], the 5 protocols of the Convention on Conventional Weapons (CCW) [archive.is/LhUTj], and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights [archive.is/U1Ota].
* " 'We are the death merchant of the world': Ex-Bush official Lawrence Wilkerson condemns military-industrial complex The military-industrial complex 'is much more pernicious than Eisenhower ever thought', says the retired US colonel" (2016-03-29, salon.com) [archive.is/QiCLv]
* "U.S. Silent on Up to 95% of its Civilian Killings in Syria; Airwars, which monitors civilian deaths at the hands of the U.S.-led coalition, called this week the 'worst week we've ever tracked' " (2016-07-22, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/1biTd]
* "US-Led Airstrikes Kill as Many Civilians as Nice Attack–but Get No Front-Page Headlines in Major US Papers" (2016-07-20, fair.org) [archive.is/LDcMS]
Occupy Beale AFB: July 25 & 26 Action
SYRIA IS BLEEDING TO DEATH:
This week 11 CHILDREN, and dozens more civilians were killed in US-led airstrike on Syria [archive.is/SqTcO].
The story was mostly censored by mainstream media, but Americans were flooded with stories about the tragic massacre in Nice, France, the most recent video-documented brutal killings of black men by our police and the equally tragic Dallas & Baton Rouge police killings, both of which were committed by men trained to kill while in the U.S. military.
Help us break the silence and the violence committed by our military and government officials.
HELP US STOP THE CYCLE OF VIOLENCE
Stop the Killing, Stop the Hate...
Join us at Beale next week to protest Drone killing and Perpetual Warfare.
Join Northern Calif. Activists United Against Drone Warfare at Beale AFB!
Sign Up on Facebook Here [facebook.com/events/1655444558111090/].
- Monday, July 25, 3:00 - 5:00 PM, Join Northern Calif. Activists United Against Drone Warfare at Beale AFB Wheatland gate 3960 S. Beale Rd. @ Ostrom Rd, Marysville monthly protest, followed by potluck and camping at the main gate, 4675 N. Beale Rd.
- Tuesday, July 26, 6 - 8:00 AM.
For more information, please visit [facebook.com/OccupyBealeAirForceBase]
* "Activists at Beale AFB honor the life of recent drone victim; seven arrested after crossing the line" (2016-07-10, by Toby Blomé, for nukeresister.org) [archive.is/zmfVY]
Photo caption: Mauro Oliveira arrested last month at Beale
* "The West’s “wreck and ruin” strategy in the Middle East" (2016-07-08, by Rod Such) [archive.is/3Ox67] [begin excerpt]: For hundreds of years Western colonialism pursued a strategy of “divide and conquer” to maintain colonial rule, deliberately setting religious and ethnic groups against each other and in some cases even inventing ethnic or racial categories. Today, Western imperialism appears to be pursuing a strategy of “wreck and ruin,” apparently having concluded that if it can no longer install puppet regimes to do its bidding, at least it can fragment and weaken any nation that hews to an independent foreign policy or aligns with a rival hegemonic bloc.
Following its invasion of Iraq, the US government believed it could install a puppet regime in Baghdad. Initial meetings for a provisional government were held as if an Iraqi presence was not even necessary.
That arrogance proved catastrophic for US planners. Cockburn offers a telling anecdote: as the last American ground forces prepared to leave Iraq in June 2009, a US general attempted to attend a meeting of top-ranking Iraqi government and military officials. He was asked to leave. [end excerpt]
* "British Soldiers Denounce Iraq War, Publically Throw Away Medals; VETERANS FOR PEACE UK PUTS ON NUMEROUS DEMONSTRATIONS AGAINST BRITISH MILITARY ACTION OVERSEAS SUCH AS IN AFGHANISTAN AND SYRIA" (2016-07-22, by Matt Florence, gpolit.com) [archive.is/QrXHV]
* "UK licensed £3.3bn in arms to Saudi in first 12 months of Yemen bombing - NGO" (2016-07-27, rt.com) [archive.is/hMutr]
* "State Dept. approves $821 million SM-2 missile sale to Japan" (2016-07-20, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/Y4xcL]
* "State Dept. approves $785 million arms sale to UAE" (2016-70-20, UPI Newswire) [archive.is/SvP4f]
* "Back from El Salvador and ready to organize!" (2016-07-24, cispes.org):
We did it! Our 2016 delegation just wrapped up its ten-day mission to investigate US-sponsored border militarization in Central America. What we discovered has only strengthened our commitment to defend rights of migrants and refugees and to end US intervention in the region.
Our group of nineteen delegates, made up of students, teachers, artists, social workers and activists from across the country, met with government officials, movement leaders and religious organizations serving migrants and refugees to better understand the priorities of the social movement and the leftist FMLN government to address the high levels of inequality and violence that cause so many to leave their communities.
For many delegates, the highlight of the trip was meeting with labor leaders of the Salvadoran Union and Social Front to hear about the impact of US-backed economic policies like privatization and “free” trade. As one of our delegates told me, “It seems like everything the US does here is just to benefit transnational corporations.”
So you can imagine our concern when environmental activists, members of farming cooperatives and union members told us that US development plans like the Millennium Challenge Corporation [archive.is/4Cx2h] and the new Alliance for Prosperity [archive.is/TTcQZ] will bring a lot more of the same.
For others, the highlight was our trip to Guatemala, where we visited a shelter that’s providing care for migrants in transit. The posters on the wall mapping out the physical dangers of the journey northward to the United States were sobering, but even more so the reports from the pastoral staff who described the trauma that tens of thousands of Central Americans now undergo at the Mexico-Guatemala border, where they are violently detained and deported with the help of the US government.
Our delegation also uncovered some disturbing developments at the Guatemala-El Salvador border, where the US and Guatemalan governments are launching a joint police-military battalion to monitor the border. In the name of fighting drug trafficking, these military-led (and US-trained) commands could quickly become a dangerous threat to Salvadorans who need to seek safety or opportunity elsewhere.
Despite the looming threats, our delegates were also inspired by the FMLN’s efforts to fairly redistribute wealth and to fund urgently-needed social programs despite fierce opposition from El Salvador's elite. Our visit to the National Youth Institute’s first job training and youth mentorship center, in the high-risk neighborhood of Soyapango, coincided with the first graduation and presentation of two-year career development scholarships (Check out their photo album of our visit here). Our delegates were disappointed and frustrated to learn that not one cent of US aid for violence prevention in El Salvador is going to youth-led, public programs like this one.
As residents of the United States, it was urgent that we denounce misguided US government actions in El Salvador and throughout Central America. During a widely-attended press conference in San Salvador, we made a public call to end US arming and training of police, military and security forces here in the region and to re-direct US aid towards the Salvadoran government's programs that focus on youth empowerment and community-led economic development (Check out our press release here.You can also check out coverage on ElBlog and Verdad Digital or watch interviews on OrbitaTV or Telenoticias 21)
Our delegates are back home, ready to continue organizing the broad-based movement we need to end US intervention in Central America. But perhaps most importantly, they built strong people-to-people ties with organizers in El Salvador who are winning inspiring victories in the struggle for economic and social justice.
These connections are the foundation for the international solidarity that we as working people need to build in order to confront the common threats we face from the global 1%.
On behalf of our delegates and all of us at CISPES, many thanks to everyone whose financial support made this delegation possible. The seeds you've planted for the next generation of the solidarity movement are already bearing fruit!
SOA Watch wishes to make known to the international community our complete repudiation of the convictions — ranging from 4 years to 35 years in prison — which were recently passed on landless campesinos in Paraguay as a judgment for the “Massacre of Curuguaty”. That massacre took place on June 15, 2012, during the process of an eviction which had been ordered by local authorities, and in which six policemen and 11 campesinos were killed.
These unfortunate events, it is recalled, were used as the pretext to initiate an “express train” impeachment of the democratically elected President Fernando Lugo, removed without due process and without a fair and impartial trial. The result, that President Lugo was removed from office, is considered by many to be, effectively, a coup d’etat.
Regarding the trail of the Paraguayan campesinos, it is important to keep in mind that no official of the Paraguayan police was ever charged or investigated for the death of any of the 11 campesinos in the “Massacre of Curuguaty”, despite the strong suspicion that several of the injured campesinos were then extrajudicially executed at point blank range soon after the original rain of bullets.
We also bear in mind the report of the SOA Watch Human Rights Observation delegation, which visited Paraguay in April 2013, and expressed grave concerns about this case in a written report and public media interviews. We wrote that “people must not be deprived of their freedom because of generic accusations, without conclusive evidence or without certainty of identification of the alleged perpetrators. We consider it a grave violation of human rights to keep people in prison without proof and in many cases simply arbitrarily detained”.
The SOAW Observation Mission heard testimony of torture against the detained campesinos and "various testimonies, in parallel to the prosecution, that complained of the summary execution of several of the 11 deceased campesinos”.
"We believe that the tragedy of Curuguaty, starting from the murky legal (land title) arrangements which set the background, has serious irregularities which demonstrate the manipulation of the State apparatus by those with true power and by mobsters. As declared by the Justices of the Supreme Court, the lands of Marina Cue were not the property of the Riquelme Family but were donated years before by a company, Industrial Paraguaya, to the Paraguayan state, who nonetheless neglected to put their name on the title to the land. That is, neither the Paraguayan state nor the Riquelme family held the titles to the property. In this way, the police invasion (disguised as a raid) to evict the occupants was clearly illegal.“ In our report we pointedly questioned the legality of police action which led to the slaughter. More than four years after these occurrences, we must conclude that justice has not been served for the condemned campesinos nor for the dead.
One of the defense lawyers, Victor Azuaga, told the press that the sentence is deplorable for its lack of evidence: "There is no corroborating evidence. And the material evidence is not reliable either. The weapons which were seized, according to the prosecution itself, had not be shot, as shown by the paraffin tests on the dead campesinos (who had allegedly fired at the policemen). The tests were negative and that means those people could not have been responsible for offenses ".
Therefore, we again express our solidarity with the convicted campesinos and with their families, and with the social organizations and human rights organizations who have accompanied them all these years crying out for justice.
We join our allies SERPAJ-Paraguay who “roundly reject the sentences" and together with SERPAJ-Paraguay we demand ”a review of the case, and for a mistrial to be declared in the case, because defects at the origin of the case prevent the basic conditions of fairness and thoroughness".
Finally, there remains open and pending the burning question to which the Paraguayan state still needs to respond, clearly and objectively: “What really happened at Curuguaty?”
Justice is still pending...
* "MH17 Two Years On: What Really Happened and Why" (2016-07-26, 21stcenturywire.com) [archive.is/stm5V], introduction: After two years and still no real answers from international authorities regarding the downing of MH17? This month marks the two year anniversary of the downing of Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 – an incident that took place against a backdrop of a brutal proxy war – pitting Kiev and its supporters in Washington DC, the EU and NATO – against rebel forces in eastern Ukraine and Russia. As with most 21st century conflicts, truth has been the first casualty of war here.
Weapons for a New World Order
* "US Marines Are Testing A Machine Gun Wielding Robot" (2016-07-21, by Joshua Krause) [archive.is/0kYqn]
* "Minimalist swimming microrobots; Researchers at Drexel University have developed a fabrication method for swimming microrobots with minimalist geometric requirements, reducing technological constraints" (2016-07-19, publishing.aip.org) [archive.is/DcOsN]
* "DoD Creating Virus-Fighting Viruses For Outbreak Emergency" (2016-07-21, by Mac Slavo) [archive.is/NwjdH]
* "Artificial muscle for soft robotics: low voltage, high hopes; Soft actuator could be ‘holy grail’ for soft robotics" (2016-07-20, seas.harvard.edu) [archive.is/98mVv]
USA Homeland's resident nations:
Nations exist alongside the Federal [archive.is/VXoPR], and State governance [archive.is/Cz2uF]. Demographic maps: 2000 [archive.is/nXHXz], 2010 [archive.is/nKbSA], religion [archive.is/XArBS]. The New Afrikan nation, and the nation of Nueva Aztlan, each have their own separate sections on this news page.
Sovereign nations of the "Indian Country", and of traditional lodges.
Map [archive.is/s4FYb]; News [indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com] [bsnorrell.blogspot.com]
* "The West Berkeley Shellmound is under attack" (2016-06-26, IPOC) [archive.is/24lyg]
* "Critics question impacts of ‘Spenger’s parking lot’ project on Berkeley Fourth Street, Ohlone heritage" (2016-03-14, berkeleyside.com) [archive.is/eQ9Nf]
Commonwealth of Puerto Rico (USA territory) and the Boriqueno nation
* "Misery Breeds Renewed Struggle in Puerto Rico" (2016-07-22, telesurtv.net) [archive.is/4QfpA]
Northbay Uprising FM Radio News is broadcast courtesy of 89.5 FM-KZCT [OzcatRadio.com]
On Ozcat Radio, tune-in online [is.gd/kJ1EUt] for:
- The Stranger News, broadcast Thursdays, 5 to 5:30pm, featuring latest news on science, technology, space, and cutting-edge research on the mind, world history, and entheogenics!
- The Northbay UpRising Morningshow, broadcast Tuesdays, 7 to 9am, with local news, and topics on Peace, the Ecology, Do-It-Yourself ideas, and Communitarianism!
- KBBF Weekly News, broadcast Tuesdays at 8:45pm, on the Northbay UpRising morningshow!
- The Ozcat Roundtable, a topical news program broadcast Wednesdays, 3 to 6pm, with hosts Billy I. (pictured), Jeremy, and the Nomad!